Official Thread: Miss Basketball Nominations for 2015-2016

CoachT

CoachT: Negative comments do not work well in this topic. Positive comments, however, may help sportswriters across the state become aware of a player that you think is deserving.

Email from the TSSAA to coacht.com:

The Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards will be presented to the top girls and boys in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association at the state basketball championships in March.

This group is to include three finalists for Miss Basketball and three for Mr. Basketball in each classification. The winners of the coveted award are to receive the distinguished Mr. and Miss Basketball trophy with the other finalists being presented plaques.

The presentation of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards will see a significant change this year. The awards will be presented to the top girls and boys in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association on the floor of Murphy Center on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University on Tuesday, March 8 at 7:00 p.m. A reception for the finalists and their families will be held prior to the awards presentation.

Any player at any of our member schools is eligible to receive votes, and I would encourage you to take a moment and give careful consideration to any player with whom you are familiar and who you think deserving of the award.

These votes are a nominating process only. A selection committee that will include representatives from each area of the state will meet to vote on the finalists and winner of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Award for each classification. You may nominate up to three players in each classification for the awards. It is not necessary to nominate three players in each category, but that is your option. Also, please take into account the statewide aspect of this award as you consider your nominations.

In order for your ballot to be counted in the selection process, it must be submitted no later than noon on FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5. Please respond today.

Negative comments do not work well in this topic. Positive comments, however, may help sportswriters across the state become aware of a player that you think is deserving.

• Upvote 1

I feel that Taylor Lamb is a perfect candidate for the Class A Miss Basketball award. Taylor is a 5'10' sophomore at South Greene High School. She led her team to a Final Four appearance in 2015 as a freshman. She was also selected to the all state and all tournament team that year. She now leads the No. 4 South Greene in her sophomore season. She is only 51 points from reaching 1000 and 37 rebounds from 500. She averages 16.3 points, 6.9 rebound, and 2 steals per game. Taylor Lamb is looking to lead her team to a 28th state tournament appearance and a 5th state championship.

• Upvote 1

Elizabethton's Kayla Marosites is the reigning AA Miss Basketball.  She has led Elizabethton to a #1 ranking and 20-0 record so far this season.  She was on the state champion team as a sophomore.  The Lady Cyclones lost in the state semifinals her freshman and junior years and hope to return to Murfreesboro this year.  She and twin sister Kelci have signed with ETSU.  The Lady Cyclones also have 6'4" center Emily Schubert, super shooting guard Emily Kiser, and floor leader point guard Melenda Perry rounding out the all senior starting five.  Despite such balance, Kayla has incredible statistics for the state's second highest scoring team at 74.6 points per game.  She is averaging 24 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 3.5 steals, and 0.5 blocks a game.  She is shooting 95% from the free throw line, and 43% on three point shots.  At 5'10" tall, Kayla is two guard size for college, but plays inside and outside for the Lady Cyclones.  She is closing in on the 2,000 point mark for her career and Kelci is closing in on 1,500.  Kayla's play speaks for itself as a Miss Basketball nominee.  Go Cyclones!

• Upvote 1

Kendall Spray from Wilson Central is averaging 26 points per game and is on pace to break her own state record for three's in a season. Had 54 in a game earlier in the season, while only playing 3 quarters. Team is 19-0. She is going to UT Martin. She deserves a spot on the podium for AAA players.

Watched Dangerfield play last night against Riverdale and was amazed. Anyone that enjoys girls basketball needs to see her play. Easily the best high school player I have ever seen. There is a reason she is going to UConn. She deserves to win the AAA award again.

I have to say what i said last year, at the very least Kassidy Allen deserves recognition. 

This young lady has taken every challenge head on, while playing with incredible sportsmanship. From the time she took the court as a Freshman, starting her FIRST game with Coach Jim Brown, and at the time (with players such as Coe and Hensley) that is impressive in itself. She helped her team to a State Championship, State Runner Up, two out of three district 7a titles, and a region 4a title. Just last year, she led the blue devils in Points, Rebounds, Steals, and Blocks. She is a true leader on the court, and is not only recognized at JCHS. Her basketball career included being named Upper Cumberland Freshman of the Year, to numerous district, region, and Class A all state Teams, and also this past year, to TWSA All state team. 

Outside of school basketball, she was named the National Blue Chips All Star camp MVP, as well as being listed Rick Bolus High potential Rank on his annual list of high school girls basketball players around the nation. 

In addition to Basketball, she was named the District 7a MVP for Volleyball and the TWSA all state team for volleyball in 2015.

It would be a true shame if such a great athlete goes unrecognized for her high school achievements. Goodluck to everyone out there!

Taylor Boggess (A) Meigs Co. and Jacobi Lynn (AA) McMinn Central! Every girl mentioned in this thread will all have great stats! If you have not seen these 2 dynamic young ladies play you have really missed seeing without a doubt 2 of the best in State on and off the court! Had the honor to Coach them in the FIRE program both are unique players!

Div 2A. Miss BBall award should go to UAB Signee, Micah Scheetz of Webb School Knoxville. She won the title as a Sophomore and was nominee as a Junior. She continues to lead her team in all stats and is averaging over 20 points per game and is on track to break school scoring record held by Glory Johnson. Micah has won PrepXtra player of the year back to back which has only been done one other time by Glory Johnson. Micah has made All State Team as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior. Micah has led Webb girls to the State Championship all 3 years of her career and won back to back state championships as a Sophomore and Junior. Micah was awarded MVP of the State Championship Game her Sophomore and Junior year. Micah is one of two seniors on her team and has become a good leader to the young Webb team. She definitely should end her Senior year with the Miss Basketball Honor! She has worked hard and is very deserving !

Anna Jones at USJ should be a finalist this year in D2A.  She was a finalist last year as a sophomore and as a Junior has upped her game 3ppg to a 27ppg average but more importantly her team to a 20-1 record against some very talented and much larger schools.  If you haven't seen her play you are really missing a talent!

Div2A Casey at FRA. Best player on the floor in every game shes played including wins against Ezell twice, Webb, and others. Playing with a broken nose as well. This is an award that goes to the most outstanding player THIS season and of all the kids Ive seen (my daughter plays for a rival school) she is the best player. Ive watched film of the other middle/east teams and have seen the other players in person. Casey is having the best 2015-2016 season by far.

I cannot give an opinion about any team West of Nashville in Div 2A though.

Edited by Playerscoach

I am asking the committee to consider Riverdale HS junior Anastasia Hayes on your AAA Miss Basketball Ballot. She is currently averaging 20.2 points per game, 4.7 assists per game, 5.5 rebounds per game and 2.9 steals per game. She has right at 1800 career points at the end of January. Our team is currently ranked #2 in the state as well as #15 in the national polls . Riverdale plays a very hard schedule, and is in arguably the toughest district in the state being 7-AAA. ESPN considers Anastasia the #7 guard in the US, and the #20 player overall in the country for the class of 2017.  http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/206908/anastasia-hayes .  She has multiple D1 offers including South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Florida & Kentucky. Thanks for your consideration.