Mercy rule

BigG

At the last TACA meeting, several topics were discussed, including implementing a "mercy rule" in TN high school soccer.

As it is right now, if both coaches agree, then the second half could be shortened.

Many states across the nation have more in depth mercy rules, including ending the game if there is a 10 goal differential.

This topic isn't meant to bash schools that have high scores, but to discuss if a new rule should be set in place, and if so, what should the rule be?

I would like to see a mercy rule implemented. Far too often you get some really good teams and some really bad teams that play, especially in district games, and the scores get so lopsided. This happens even if the team ahead puts in jv and freshman players, and puts in rules like must pass so many times or score with a header.

I would like for the mercy rule to be as followed:

1. if one teams is ahead by 12 goals at half, the game is called.

2. if a team gets up by 10 or more goals in the second half, the game should be called at the 20 minute mark of the second half or anytime a difference of 10 is reached after the 20 minute mark of the second half has passed.

All the other sports have a mercy rule:

Football and basketball use a constant running clock in the second half if a certain score is reached

baseball and softball have run rules after 5 innings (baseball is 10 after 5, not sure on softball)

I would like to see a mercy rule implemented. Far too often you get some really good teams and some really bad teams that play, especially in district games, and the scores get so lopsided. This happens even if the team ahead puts in jv and freshman players, and puts in rules like must pass so many times or score with a header.

2. if a team gets up by 10 or more goals in the second half, the game should be called at the 20 minute mark of the second half or anytime a difference of 10 is reached after the 20 minute mark of the second half has passed.

Football and basketball use a constant running clock in the second half if a certain score is reached

baseball and softball have run rules after 5 innings (baseball is 10 after 5, not sure on softball)

• 1 month later...

I like the Georgia rule, where I also officiate games. They basically have a 10 goal rule, with some nuances.

First checkpoint is at 20 minute mark of 1st half. If lead is less than 7 at halfway point, the entire half is played regardless of how big the differential gets. If lead is 7, 8, or 9 goals at the halfway point, the half ends and the 2nd half is shortened to 20 minutes. If the lead is 10 or greater at the halfway point, the game ends.

Next checkpoint is half time. if the lead is 10 or greater at the half, the game ends.

In the 2nd half, once a lead becomes 10 goals, the game ends.

• 1 month later...