Mercy rule

BigG

This is also on the girl's boards, but thought I would start a thread here, too.

At the last TACA meeting, several topics were discussed, including implementing a "mercy rule" in TN high school soccer.

As it is right now, if both coaches agree, then the second half could be shortened.

Many states across the nation have more in depth mercy rules, including ending the game if there is a 10 goal differential.

This topic isn't meant to bash schools that have high scores, but to discuss if a new rule should be set in place, and if so, what should the rule be?

Having been on both sides of the situation I'm not sure what the best answer is.  The only reason I personally have for not using the 10 goal rule is to let my lesser experienced players have some playing time.  In northwest TN there are very few JV teams.  So if I have a lead like that I could use the time.  Although I would hope I would have them in before 10.  Probably the best thing is to keep it the same and let the coaches decide on the spot.  That way they can talk maybe at the half and clear their benches or run it short.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer not to have more rules.  There are so many things that a coach can do to keep from running up a score.  Coach G taught me that 14 years ago when he could have beat us 10-0.  Instead he showed mercy and kept the score at 5-0.

CLASS ACT!

Edited by gchunn

I prefer not to have more rules.  There are so many things that a coach can do to keep from running up a score.  Coach G taught me that 14 years ago when he could have beat us 10-0.  Instead he showed mercy and kept the score at 5-0.

CLASS ACT!

Thanks brother!  I can say, however, that one of the HARDEST games we ever had to play was against a certain Carter team with some kid named Mark Sherrod (don't know if you remember him).  Wow, what a player and what a great team!

• 2 weeks later...

I think a mercy rule or agreement between coaches is a good thing.  It seems that when a score differential gets that big that things can start to get ugly on and off the field.  It used to happen a lot in NW TN but It doesn't happen as much as it used to as many school's soccer programs seem to be catching up to one another.  Thank goodness.  Nevertheless, it still does happen and so I think a rule or agreement it is a good thing.