State Dual Ref Performance

mat73557

So normally I dont get too salty about getting bad calls.  Its a part of the sport.  I heard some complaining this past weekend from others and after thinking about it, I just couldnt get past one call against us.

Yes, it's easy to be upset about calls when you lose but.....check this out.

https://youtu.be/XBmf5YYH99Y

Edited by mat73557

You may be a bit confused on the actual rule.  The trapping the ankle to the buttock for 5 seconds rule is only in effect if the bottom wrestler is broken down on the mat.  In your video the top wrestler was off to the side attempting to break down the bottom wrestler.  The rule you are trying to refer to does not apply in this situation.

If the coach went to the table to argue that the official did not apply the rule properly, he was wrong and was penalized appropriately. 

I would say no.  The rule says it is stalling on the top wrestler when the top wrestler "legally holds the heel to the buttocks while the defensive wrestler is broken down on the mat for more than 5 seconds".   Usually this rule is applied when the bottom man is broken down flat on the mat.

I would say no.  The rule says it is stalling on the top wrestler when the top wrestler "legally holds the heel to the buttocks while the defensive wrestler is broken down on the mat for more than 5 seconds".   Usually this rule is applied when the bottom man is broken down flat on the mat.

This is correct ruling.

However, I would like to comment that the officiating was horrendous.   These wrestlers deserve better.  These kids work hard all year to only have an incompetent official call the match and cost a wrestler a match.  It is not fair to the wrestler or their team.  The officiating crews are getting thinner and thinner and the lack of good officials seems to diminish with each passing year.  IMHO, in about 4 or 5 years, wrestling will really be suffering from quality officiating.

First, this is an embarrassing video to have on what looks like an official team channel.

Second, it's hard for me to care about what top is doing when bottom is making absolutely no discernible effort to escape.

Bottom guy going crazy and top is riding his ankle? I'd start looking for stalling. Bottom guy is content to lie on his hip for seven seconds? No call

So normally I dont get too salty about getting bad calls.  Its a part of the sport.  I heard some complaining this past weekend from others and after thinking about it, I just couldnt get past one call against us.

Yes, it's easy to be upset about calls when you lose but.....check this out.

https://youtu.be/XBmf5YYH99Y

Coach.

You missed it.

This is correct ruling.

However, I would like to comment that the officiating was horrendous.   These wrestlers deserve better.  These kids work hard all year to only have an incompetent official call the match and cost a wrestler a match.  It is not fair to the wrestler or their team.  The officiating crews are getting thinner and thinner and the lack of good officials seems to diminish with each passing year.  IMHO, in about 4 or 5 years, wrestling will really be suffering from quality officiating.

The token, thread of "state officials were terrible" has started. It happens every year. The only thing that you said that was correct about officiating is that the numbers are down, they are down all over the nation. Threads like this don't do anything to help the sport.

Posting that video and not even knowing the proper interpretation of the rule is an embarrassment on your part Mat73...

Facenthecrowd how can new officials be recruited and developed? Instead of offering your humble opinion about how the current officials are missing the mark come up with solutions...... 

• Upvote 1

The token, thread of "state officials were terrible" has started. It happens every year. The only thing that you said that was correct about officiating is that the numbers are down, they are down all over the nation. Threads like this don't do anything to help the sport.

Posting that video and not even knowing the proper interpretation of the rule is an embarrassment on your part Mat73...

Facenthecrowd how can new officials be recruited and developed? Instead of offering your humble opinion about how the current officials are missing the mark come up with solutions...... 

You do a better job of training and if this is the officials first State Tournament to call, he only goes as an assistant.  From there, the determination can be made as to what training and additional teaching the official needs.

Sorry to rain on your parade; however, this would prove more beneficial than throwing them out cold turkey and calling matches that can impact a wrestler and a team.

......... Threads like this don't do anything to help the sport.

First, this is an embarrassing video to have on what looks like an official team channel.

Fellas, Thanks for your unabashed criticism. It makes me want to keep posting here.... I am not a coach so I am still learning. As to the other folks who gave their thoughts without insult, thank you.

And I wasn't the first one to complain about state tournament refs...that title went to IrishDadRedux on the "Father Ryan vs McCallie in the Semifinals?" thread.

God forbid that a Father Ryan wrestler get a bad call. The language I heard at the Bradley tournament was so dirty when their guys lost I had to take a shower. (I know that is not representative of ALL Ryan supporters, but if the shoe fits.....)

Anyhow, Thanks for helping me better understand a very confusing set of stalling criteria (which is often called differently from match to match AND is often called differently in February than it is in November)

As to not to offend any one elses fragile sensitivities, I have disabled access to the offending video. 160 views is enough apparently.

Good luck at state.