8AA 2016

Onthedirt

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first Caplinger is a real good pitcher and from what I can tell an even finer young lady, with that said anyone who has paid attention to 8AA softball for anytime should know the umps from that area are just terrible. Danny Bond is an outstanding coach and gets more out of his teams year after year than probably any coach around BUT He intimidates every ump in that area to lengths I am not sure I have ever seen. Caplinger is illegal every time she pitches and has been from day one but does any one really think any umpire doing Dekalb games has the guts to call that? Heck if I didn't know any better I would guess Bobby Winningham and Bond go on vacation together and Crockett calls the district final last year and a week later his picture is on Facebook hugging a Dekalb Co. player. Bond rules that district, has for years and until the umps and the other district coaches step to his level expect more of the same. Oh yeah good luck Dekalb!!

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, and I'm not arguing against this one particular statement by you. But I'm just curious as to what Coach Bond does or says to intimidate the umps?

This is for anyone that has commented on Caps leaping/pitching. I agree that it should of been fixed over the years. Idk either way, but with it being this late in the season and her career, I had the thought pop up in my head that maybe it would of done more harm than good to attempt to fix/tweak her pitching motion. Coach Bond could of feared it would of greatly thrown her off her game, thus decided to just live with any potential illegal pitch calls. Can anyone confirm or deny if I'm on to something or not?

Last but not least, DC girls keep your HEADS HELD UP HIGH! Yall had yet another great season, and the way it ended is nothing to be ashamed of.

Huge congrats to the LA girls on a great season too. Hopefully next year yall will be making your second ever appearance at the state tournament. Yall have got some extremely impressive youngins on your team.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

DCTIGERFAN yes we do have some young ones. LA went to state starting 5 underclassman and only 12 total players. All of LA deserves credit, Pennycuff finished the season with 254 strikeouts on the season. That is quite impressive too, hopefully she will help take us back to the state next year as well! She and Cap have competed all year this year. I figure will we will see more of the same next year as well. As far as Bond intimidating umps, I don't know if that is the correct term but he definitely holds the influence. It has been that way since I have been watching them play for years. Not to mention, what are the odds you have the same 3 umpires for the district tourney finals and region tourney finals with the same ump behind the plate? Oh and both times we played Dekalb at Dekalb. Coincidence?

Apparently it was only 4 illegal pitches today, so I apologize for the discrepancy. 

“We came out and got on them early,†DeKalb County coach Danny Bond said. “That is what everybody wants to do, but we hit the ball and played good defense.â€

Chester County got its lone run in the third inning when DeKalb County pitcher Kayley Caplinger was called for an illegal pitch with a runner at third base.

"It takes a lot of character under the circumstances to win, battling through adversity with the illegal pitches,†Bond said. “But these girls had the will to win. That is what you work on all year to show at this point.â€

Caplinger was called for four illegal pitches, which Boyd said is not something his team has dealt with.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/sports/high-school/spring-fling/2016/05/26/early-runs-doom-chester-softball/84985848/

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, and I'm not arguing against one particular statement by you. I'm just curious as to what Coach Bond does or says to intimidate the umps?

If anything my comment is a compliment to Coach Bond, he knows what he is doing, knows the rule book and let's be honest very few umpires and many of the other district coaches do not. I have never witnessed a discussion he has with a local umpire that didn't go his way. When the best 8AA has to put forth is the likes of Bobby Winningham, I rest my case. Winningham calls ball and strikes before the ball reaches the plate and I will go as far to speculate with a pitcher the likes of Caplinger in the circle, he is doing little more than guessing back there. Again please don't take what I am saying as anything against Dekalb, top talent, top coach, top program year in year out and that probably gets a team a call now and then. I could go on all night with stories from 10, 15 almost 20 years of Bond/umpire stories but I will save that for my book someday. Other schools don't like him but there isn't a team in 8AA that wouldn't love to have Coach Bond as their coach. Congrats to Dekalb on a great season! I am out for now.

DCTIGERFAN yes we do have some young ones. LA went to state starting 5 underclassman and only 12 total players. All of LA deserves credit, Pennycuff finished the season with 254 strikeouts on the season. That is quite impressive too, hopefully she will help take us back to the state next year as well! She and Cap have competed all year this year. I figure will we will see more of the same next year as well. As far as Bond intimidating umps, I don't know if that is the correct term but he definitely holds the influence. It has been that way since I have been watching them play for years. Not to mention, what are the odds you have the same 3 umpires for the district tourney finals and region tourney finals with the same ump behind the plate? Oh and both times we played Dekalb at Dekalb. Coincidence?

Yeah, yall should be right there competing neck and neck for a district/region title next season. Thanks for clarifying on the intimidation comment. Now I get what you're saying, and I agree with you. I think you can probably agree with me too when I say he's earned that much though.

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, and I'm not arguing against one particular statement by you. I'm just curious as to what Coach Bond does or says to intimidate the umps?

If anything my comment is a compliment to Coach Bond, he knows what he is doing, knows the rule book and let's be honest very few umpires and many of the other district coaches do not. I have never witnessed a discussion he has with a local umpire that didn't go his way. When the best 8AA has to put forth is the likes of Bobby Winningham, I rest my case. Winningham calls ball and strikes before the ball reaches the plate and I will go as far to speculate with a pitcher the likes of Caplinger in the circle, he is doing little more than guessing back there. Again please don't take what I am saying as anything against Dekalb, top talent, top coach, top program year in year out and that probably gets a team a call now and then. I could go on all night with stories from 10, 15 almost 20 years of Bond/umpire stories but I will save that for my book someday. Other schools don't like him but there isn't a team in 8AA that wouldn't love to have Coach Bond as their coach. Congrats to Dekalb on a great season! I am out for now.

Are you truly planning to write a book in the future? If so, what all will it detail? I'm just assuming 8-AA softball would be one of the main topics discussed, correct? A book covering our districts history would definitely be something I would be interested in reading, thus I would surely purchase it.

This is Dekalb's best finish. The U was runners up to Goodpasture in 2012.

Are you 100% positive concerning DC's best finish? I would of swore that we finished in third place one year. I'm probably wrong though. Even though you're a darn ole true SC fan through and through, you're still one of the most knowledgeable posters on this here site. And that's not just football either, it's seemingly every dang thing.

What's everyone's thoughts on Coach Bond? Is he currently already hall of fame worthy with all of his accomplishments to date? Or does he need to do a little bit more and add to his overall resume to be considered for the HOF, something such as winning a State Championship before he retires? If you don't feel a gold trophy is necessary, what other milestones would it take for him to get in? As things stand now, it could be, just maybe you don't feel CDB is in anyway, shape, or form a worthy candidate at this point in time. 

Before people go about answering any of my questions, let's first take a gander at Coach Danny Bonds overall record/resume. For the third straight year in a row, CDB has lead his Lady Tigers out of region play, and advanced them all the way to the State Tournament.

Overall record: 678-258
District record: 291-56
18 district titles. 24 regional appearances. 12 sub-state appearances. 8 state tournament appearances. 
31 winning seasons in 31 years coaching at DC. 

He has an overall winning percentage of 0.72%

He has a district winning percentage of 0.83%

Over a 31 year span, he's only averaged 1.86667 district losses per season.

Over that same time frame, he's averaged a district championship every 1.722 years, or 0.58% of the time..

In a total of 31 chances, he's only failed to NOT make a regional appearance just a mere 7 times.

So what is everyone's honest to god thoughts, and or concerns on the future likelihood of our beloved coach potentially being inducted into the HOF?

I'd really love nothing more than to see a list of all the current HOF softball coaches, That way maybe I could get a decent idea of what the standard resume looks like for inductees. Such things as overall wins, district titles, region titles, state appearances, and state titles. Can anybody possibly provide me a link to a up to date list similar, or identical to what I'm desperately searching for? That would help me out immensely!

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

Are you truly planning to write a book in the future? If so, what all will it detail? I'm just assuming 8-AA softball would be one of the main topics discussed, correct? A book covering our districts history would definitely be something I would be interested in reading, thus I would surely purchase it.

Are you 100% positive concerning DC's best finish? I would of swore that we finished in third place one year. I'm probably wrong though. Even though you're a darn ole true SC fan through and through, you're still one of the most knowledgeable posters on this here site. And that's not just football either, it's seemingly every dang thing.

Yes...it is their best finish.

What's everyone's thoughts on Coach Bond? Is he currently already hall of fame worthy with all of his accomplishments to date? Or does he need to do a little bit more and add to his overall resume to be considered for the HOF, something such as winning a State Championship before he retires? If you don't feel a gold trophy is necessary, what other milestones would it take for him to get in? As things stand now, it could be, just maybe you don't feel CDB is in anyway, shape, or form a worthy candidate at this point in time. 

Before people go about answering any of my questions, let's first take a gander at Coach Danny Bonds overall record/resume. For the third straight year in a row, CDB has lead his Lady Tigers out of region play, and advanced them all the way to the State Tournament.

Overall record: 678-258District record: 291-5618 district titles. 24 regional appearances. 12 sub-state appearances. 8 state tournament appearances. 31 winning seasons in 31 years coaching at DC. 

He has an overall winning percentage of 0.72%

He has a district winning percentage of 0.83%

Over a 31 year span, he's only averaged 1.86667 district losses per season.

Over that same time frame, he's averaged a district championship every 1.722 years, or 0.58% of the time..

In a total of 31 chances, he's only failed to NOT make a regional appearance just a mere 7 times.

So what is everyone's honest to god thoughts, and or concerns on the future likelihood of our beloved coach potentially being inducted into the HOF?

I'd really love nothing more than to see a list of all the current HOF softball coaches, That way maybe I could get a decent idea of what the standard resume looks like for inductees. Such things as overall wins, district titles, region titles, state appearances, and state titles. Can anybody possibly provide me a link to a up to date list similar, or identical to what I'm desperately searching for? That would help me out immensely!

I certainly think he is HOF worthy. He has never really had a dominant pitcher. He has had some good ones...but not that title winning dominant one. He has had some great teams with average talent. He can coach.

Yes...it is their best finish.

Oh ok then, I believe you.

I certainly think he is HOF worthy. He has never really had a dominant pitcher. He has had some good ones...but not that title winning dominant one. He has had some great teams with average talent. He can coach.

Yeah, I think he's already HOF worthy myself. However, I just wanted to get other peoples opinions. Obviously mine is going to naturally be slightly biased. I agree with you on everything you just said. In your opinion, who is the best pitcher Coach Bond has ever had? 

Also, who is the best pitcher you've ever seen in this district? And if you can remember as much, what years did she play, and at what school?

Edited by DCTIGERFAN