Best way to improve over Summer?

rjennings91

Obviously, one of the largest keys to improving as a wrestler over the summer is mat time...as much as you can get, anywhere, and any sort of wrestling. For the first time, this past summer a few of my wrestlers competed in freestyle/greco tournaments and I have seen the improvements throughout the season. But with that being said, I wanted to ask what everyone thought the BEST way to improve over a summer is. In this day and age we are beginning to see more and more opportunities rise up for kids ranging anywhere from camps, clinics, freestyle, greco, takedown tournaments, etc. With all of the years of experience that are present on this board, I was just curious of the different routes coaches take in the off-season to better their kids, thanks for your input!

With many more opportunities for the young wrestler, has the level of wrestling and competition improved in TN since the 80s and 90s?

I'd say absolutely, but it's also improving just about everywhere else. Has TN become more competitive? Perhaps in the last 2 or 3 years, but definitely at the middleschool and under area. The biggest problem is the lack of qualified coaches. This is a problem in North Georgia as well. That's why programs like grind house and the compound (both in north Georgia) are having so much success.

There are a bunch of things any wrestler can do in the offseason to put themselves ahead of the competition. For me, the most important things that helped me as a wrestler were attending intense summer camps. I don't mean just any camps, but camps geared toward kids who want to be the best. And second, just getting into a practice room twice or three times a week with good quality training partners.

I also agree that Freestyle and Greco are the greatest benefits.  It opens up ones arsenal of weapons to use in a match.  One of the funnest things is it makes one change styles, not keep wrestling and practicing of the same hum drum folkstyle.  The other two gets you more knowledgeable of mat awareness and body positions.

Awesome, I really appreciate you all giving your opinions! I unfortunately only had 1 high school wrestler that competed over the summer last year in freestyle/greco. But, that wrestler definitely came back this year with some new tricks in his bag. The hardest part for me remains the numbers...our community is still not very big on wrestling (working diligently to change that) but my guys are beginning to see what happens if you put the time in the off season. Looking forward to some big strides this summer!