Watering down the PRIZE

In Hoc Signo Vinces

First and foremost I'd like to congratulate all of the wrestlers who competed this past weekend at the state tournament especially those who were able to experience the transfiguration of hard work; blood, sweat, and tears amount to tangible success by being crowned a tssaa state champ!

As a product and supporter of D-2 wrestling (Purple Irish) I am ecstatic that they have produced 14 state champions in a 2 year interval. After rummaging through and diagnosing the brackets from this past weekend I became inundated with a dilemma how many of these state champions are actually the best wrestler at their weight in the state? We can't ascertain that question with fact but can only theorze with hypothetical, but is it unreasonable to believe that a single individual tourney is possible in TN? If the most populous state CA is capable of that why aren't we? Here is my solution.

The facilitation of merging the 3 existing tourneys into 1 that is comprised of a 32 man bracket is challenging but nonetheless feasible venture. There are two seemingly simply options merge AA, AAA, and D-2 at the individual regional and state levels, allowing qualifiers to enter the tourney from the same source (though each classification would still retain separate team scores). If that is unacceptable, allow each classification to participate in their own region and allow the placers to advance to the tourney.

This reminds me of prayer in school. Too many people sat idly by when the few screaming and crying about it 'not being fair' and how it would 'increase participation' convinced the powers that be. You kept silent because you didn't want to be called a 'bigot' and a 'wrestling hater' by keeping it one division, being 'old school' and not wanting to grow the sport.

Now it's too late. Shame on you.

'

I totally agree! Tennessee wrestling needs to have one and only one division. 

One division is not going to happen no matter how much people on this board spout off about it. If you want to add rigor to a state title, spend some of this energy complaining about too many titles and put it towards encouraging schools that don't have wrestling at all to start a program. Look for areas ( there are lots of them ) with no kids programs and help start one or make a donation to others who are willing to coach and run one. With 3 divisions all claiming state titles, TN is far from the worst in the nation at watering down state titles.

The political wrestling machine in this state is so soft that VAGISIL would not be able to manufacture enough to supply all their needs.  I personally have only ever heard one public school coach (Ben Reichel) that said the split was a joke and Tennessee only needed one individual state champion.  It would take the public school D1 AAA & D1 A-AA coaches and administrators standing up in unison and demanding a change before the T$$AA would even consider making the change back to one state champion and that will not happen in my life time.  We now have a group of people making decisions that are both soft and weak of the mind.  It's only human nature for people to take the easy way out and having multiple divisions over one division is an easier path to a state championship.  How we fondly remember the day's of real wrestling people in Tennessee like Ethan Reeve, Gray Simons & Terry Brand's who would stand in the center of the mat and take on all comers and never run from competition. 

• Upvote 1

"I personally have only ever heard one public school coach (Ben Reichel) that said the split was a joke and Tennessee only needed one individual state champion."

Yes, I was outspoken about the split, but not sure if I said "it was a joke" (and there were a few others). I've also ALWAYS been for splitting the duals. My biggest point was I didn't agree with the build it and they will come theory. However, after it was a done deal I took the attitude of make the best of what we have. Looking back do I agree with the split now?

Ironically my son won the AA state this year and I've had the opportunity to coach 3 other state champs since the split as well. However, I also had the opportunity to coach a state champ when AA and AAA were combined. Would all of these kids have won the state? Who knows, probably not. But lets look at AA this year. AA 126 lbs champ could beat anyone. He lost to the D2 state champ this year, but beat him last year. 145 lbs was OW at GP West and undefeated (at 152lbs). AA 152 lbs champ I witnessed destroy the AAA 152 state champ in the finals of Ooltewah Invite this year. 195 lb AA champ split with AAA finalist this year and won McCallie. HWy would be interesting to say the least. I could also give very strong arguments for 120 (was 126 all season) and 170 lbs (that makes 8 of 14 weight classes). Of course we'll never know. But that's why we wrestled a mix of other divisions (and some out of state teams) during the year and of course compete nationally in the offseason. So to me, it's not that big of a deal.

The real question is (as mat73557 asks): does the split grow the sport? I honestly don't know. But one thing I know, it doesn't attract more quality coaches or referees. At least as of yet.

Edited by russianbear

So whats the consensus?

One division with one champion grows the sport of wrestling in Tennessee?

OR

Three divisions or more grows the sport of wrestling in Tennessee?

Done properly one division that has a 32 man bracket with both a district & region qualifier will create interest over a three week period and increase participation.  Iron sharpens iron.  Just look at the fan support this year for the Indiana State Championships when Chad Red, Jr. (ranked #1 in USA) defeated Nick Lee (ranked #7 USA).  How many programs have been started in Tennessee only because we have multiple divisions?  My guess is zero!