A/AA 2016

reaction

I'd pick Boyd as strong contender this year for sure.  I think you could probably go ahead and pencil them into the region championship game.

Hopefully my Irish will be a contender as well.  We only lost a couple of players from last year's team, and we had 10-11 current players that were playing club soccer this fall.  We also picked up a new senior that's a very good athlete and has played club ball in the past.  He played baseball the last 3 years, but chose soccer this year.  The big unknown for ND is whether we will have someone that can consistently finish against good defenses.  This has been a big problem the last 2 years.

I would expect CCS to be solid this year.  Not sure about Signal Mountain since they graduated most of their offense.  I know CSAS lost a ton of players, so I wouldn't expect much from them this year.  Not sure how many Hixson lost from last year's team, but they might make some noise.

ND plays East Hamilton tomorrow, and Soddy and East Ridge next week.

CAK will be fairly strong again with arguably 2 of the best attacking field players in the state.  Lost some key defensive players, but I have faith in Coach Day that he will get things going.  I love the fact that even in a "small" private school they have near 100 kids come out for their middle and high school boys program alone!  Even some AAA schools don't have that.

Page should be a contender as well.  I believe they lost 2 of their starters but bring back the majority of their talent.

I am looking forward to see how Catholic fares this season.  They were very young but I think had a lot of potential.  Lost an incredible attacker in Al, but should have some quality players out.

MCM should be strong as will Greeneville.

From my "insiders" at Boyd, they should be quite talented but young.  They may be a year out from peaking, however who knows, they may step up this season.

If CPA could get over their poor head coaching problem I think they should be fairly good.  

The boys' soccer boards are really starting out with a bang this year....not.  Where are all the posters?

Notre Dame came out of the pre-season looking pretty good....

6-1 win over East Hamilton.  East Ham is way down this year, but I am sure they will improve.

7-2 win over Soddy Daisy.  Soddy looks better than they have in the past few years, but still a long way from being a contender in AAA.  They might beat East Hamilton though.

3-0 win over East Ridge.  East Ridge looked pretty good, and has some good players, but just not that organized.  No doubt they will improve as the season progresses.

ND's first team did not allow any run-of-play goals in the 3 games.  East Ham did score on a PK due to a handball.

The real Fighting Irish face the Knoxville Fighting Irish next Friday.  Anybody know how they look this year?

Watched (Knox Catholic) Irish last week in scrimmage v Bearden.  4-0 Bearden.  Mostly seniors in starting lineup now after being younger last year, but no true attacking threats like they had last year.  Unfortunately my lasting impression of game was nasty/dirty tackle from Irish player with 5 minutes left shattering Bearden's defender's leg and ankle.  Incredibly unfortunate and incredibly uncalled for.

BigG is right about CAK.  Has arguably both the best senior (forward) and junior (midfielder) player in Knoxville, and 2-3 other strong attacking players.  If they can get strong defensive play, will be very tough to handle for anyone.

• Upvote 1

I watched CCS @ CPA on the internet tonight. CPA won 1-0. CPA player ripped one from like 45 yards out for the game winner with about 10 minutes to play.  CPA was the aggressor pretty much the entire game. CCS did play well defensively, but did not generate anything in the offensive third. No possession or combination play at all, just booted the ball down the field and hoped someone ran on to it. It's early in the season so I'm sure they will get better. I saw Notre Dame play Mccallie. ND vs CCS will be a very good game. Both look about even to me.  CPA is a contender for 3 titles in a row. 

I watched CCS @ CPA on the internet tonight. CPA won 1-0. CPA player ripped one from like 45 yards out for the game winner with about 10 minutes to play.  CPA was the aggressor pretty much the entire game. CCS did play well defensively, but did not generate anything in the offensive third. No possession or combination play at all, just booted the ball down the field and hoped someone ran on to it. It's early in the season so I'm sure they will get better. I saw Notre Dame play Mccallie. ND vs CCS will be a very good game. Both look about even to me.  CPA is a contender for 3 titles in a row. 

ND is a very good team

...will be a good one

Edited by wingman10

• 2 weeks later...

Since little response, I'll wade in. Signal lost tonight 3-1 to CCS. Only 2 upperclassmen have continued to play select soccer and unfortunately it shows. ND was there shooting game film though the sun and wind were brutal on the hill. As usual and until the rift, district will come down to those 3 I think. Boyd very strong in the region. Injuries and illnesses can wreck havoc at this time of the year so we all just play them 1 at a time. Congrats to ND on a great win last night!