Haywood Lady Tomcats

tkhpurple

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much get it and go. They go as Shutes goes. Madison Smith is okay (6"2 post) but she is primarily a face up big. Not a banger. I take South Gibson in this one. Haywood is at home and they will have the home court advantage but they really struggled with Lexington, and IMO South Gibson is better than them. The environment won't rattle them. South Gibson by 12.

SGC lost their best outside shooter in the Dyersburg game. Was at the game last night in a wheelchair. However SGC still has the capability to pull this off. SGC post player must have a good offensive night and the 3 point shooters need to make some shots. Shutes is the key for Haywood. SGC must keep Haywood off of the offensive boards. If Smith and others get stick backs consistently SGC is done.  Turnovers must be eliminated for both teams. Haywood really locked down on Covington the 2nd half. Covington only had 3 points in the 3rd and 5 in the 4th, after having a 30-22 half time lead. Should be a great game that should be within 8 points either way. 

SGC started out nervous and intimated by the hostile environment and the over heated gym and Haywood jumped on SGC out the gate 17-2. SGC got within 5 before half but it took a lot out of a team with little depth. The guard in the wheelchair would not have made much of a difference at the pace of this game as she has to be wide open with time but no time in this game plus needed best ball handlers in this one.. Any run SGC made Shutes would answer with 8-0 runs and when King fouled out and the post player Neyman got injured which are the leading scorers for SGC it was up to the remaining guards. Hayes in her first game to play all min. had some good drives to the hole within 4 min. to play only down by 5 but had no legs to finish after guarding Shutes all night and no calls by the refs. to get her to the line. Scott had a real good night by driving but couldn't knock down the 3 to close the gap. Bottom line they had no answer for Shutes...

Edited by tkhpurple

They have to make Upperman play the fast pace. I'm sure teams in the Cookeville area don't run as much as Haywood, so the Lady Tomcats have to use that to their advantage. I don't think Haywood will shoot well, well none of the teams for that matter. College court, wider lane, smaller rims. I think Haywood has to get easy baskets, whether it's attacking the basket, in transition, or at the foul line and the players are gonna have to be aware of assignments on the press. If Upperman has good ballhandlers, easy layups for them

They have to make Upperman play the fast pace. I'm sure teams in the Cookeville area don't run as much as Haywood, so the Lady Tomcats have to use that to their advantage. I don't think Haywood will shoot well, well none of the teams for that matter. College court, wider lane, smaller rims. I think Haywood has to get easy baskets, whether it's attacking the basket, in transition, or at the foul line and the players are gonna have to be aware of assignments on the press. If Upperman has good ballhandlers, easy layups for them

Upperman has one of the best PG's in the state... Akira Levy. Kid is fun to watch!

Good call. There were times in the classic Upperman-LA games in which a couple girls on Upperman seemed to be winded quite often. However, if you let them drain from the perimeter, they will smoke you. Inside is where you will have to take advantage. Levy handles the ball better than anyone in the state, but she doesn't like you in her grill. Shutdown the perimeter and pound inside with your bread-n-butter. All easier said then done, of course. :)