Memphis Area Players being Recruited - 2017

kwc

LOL ... Auburn already has a Memphian in their backfield from Memphis Wooddale. I thought it was ironic that when the U of M played Auburn in the bowl game that the RB at Auburn, who was torching the U of M defense, was himself a Memphian. Irony at its best.

As far as my POV on the UT situation ... I quite frankly think I'm being nice to UT. I think that situation is very similar in spirit to what happened at Penn State. I would have put the death penalty to Penn State. They would have been like SMU back in the day. I think that the 'reverence' for UT football overshadowed and influenced all of the reactions by the so-called 'adults'. Shameless is what comes to mind. I lost ALL respect for Butch and the coaches and administration that supported/supports him and the manner to which they responded.

My opinion.

Fair enough. I was at the bowl game. I had an U of M shirt on and an Auburn hat. lol My son went to U of M but we are big Auburn fans. It was enjoyable watching a game and pulling for both teams. U of M has 2 players from Auburn Alabama also.

Just because they are "In the clear" doesn't change the fact that the whole situation just looks awful and it will be used against them for years to come. The whole situation is toxic. I'm sure with time people will forget because they always do, especially if you win, but currently coach Jones is making the Geiger counter go haywire. It figures the school took the bunker mentality. It's either that or jettison the coach, and UT football has been in the crapper for quite a while now and the last thing they wanted to do is get rid of a coach who has seemed to turn the program around ... so they weathered the storm. But hey, if the UT program wins this fall, all is forgiven. However, that doesn't change the fact that it still stinks to high heaven, regardless of the all clear status. If I were Cordarrian, or if I was advising him, I would tell the young man to steer clear of UT as long as Butch is the coach. There are too many programs that don't have a mushroom cloud hanging over the program ('in the clear' status or not) to choose from then to attach yourself to that mess. That's my "pretty ignorant" opinion.

Do you really think these things don't go on at Clemson or any other major program? UT hasn't turned a blind eye or attempted to cover things up. They aint Baylor! Now that whole situation stinks and is sorry. UT has done no wrong, an you can't blame them for one mans wrongs.

Do you really think these things don't go on at Clemson or any other major program? UT hasn't turned a blind eye or attempted to cover things up. They aint Baylor! Now that whole situation stinks and is sorry. UT has done no wrong, an you can't blame them for one mans wrongs.

Clemson doesn't have the stench of such an issue hanging over its head from a recent incident that has exposed the coaching staff. My whole issue is how the HC at UT handled the whole situation. His actions and his comments were and are the crux of my issues with UT. It stunk then and it still stinks. The fact that the school supported him is even more irreprehensible. Why is Baylor even brought up in this discussion becasue they aren't trying to recruit the young man. I'm commenting on UT and that sorry excuse of an explanation of what happened. Your comments don't change my opinion of coach Jones and the program he runs. I wouldn't recommend any young man that I know to go play for the man. Period. 

Edited by kwc

• 2 months later...

Mr. Football Chase Hayden of St. George’s commits to Arkansas

M0015111443--518164.JPG
Chase Hayden

M0015111451--474424.JPG
November 13, 2015 - St. George's Jake Hurley (9) defends Lausanne's Adam Boyce (1) as St. George's Chase Hayden (2) catches an interception during the second quarter at McNeill-Stokes Athletic Complex in Collierville Friday night. The two teams are competing in the second round of the Division 2-A playoffs. (Yalonda M. James/The Commercial Appeal)

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal

Chase Hayden heard the Hogs calling. And he responded with a big yes.Hayden, the standout senior running back from St. George's, announced Sunday evening that he would play his college football at the University of Arkansas. As is customary these days, Hayden announced his choice on Twitter with a simple message: "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

He had offers from a host of schools and chose the Razorbacks over Missouri, Oklahoma State, Michigan and Illinois.Verbal commitments are non-binding, but Hayden is expected to make it official on National Signing Day in February. He unofficially visited Fayetteville in June and said his closeness with the coaching staff was the deciding factor."It was my relationship with coach B (Bret Bielema) and the running backs coach (Reggie Mitchell)" he said. "They started recruiting me about four months ago. They like my running back style ... and I feel like I'll be able to play very early.

"The 6-foot 185-pound Hayden is rated as a four-star recruit by both Rivals and 24/7 Sports and earlier this month was named one of the top-10 performers at The Opening, a combine held earlier this month that invites only the best of the best football players."I think that did cement him (as a top prospect), said his dad, former University of Tennessee and NFL running back Aaron Hayden."That elevated him to a super-high echelon and I think it caused some people to reassess. But he was focused on the people who focused on him, who made him feel like a priority.

"Coach B is a normal guy, not a figurehead, and that was super important. They talked for two hours about football, life ... not a lot of coaches do that.

"Hayden was named Mr. Football in Division 2-A after rushing for an area-best 2,511 yards (averaging 9.8 per carry) and scoring 31 touchdowns in 14 games. He had 266 yards in the title game, a 50-20 victory over Northpoint.

Hayden is also the reigning Mr. Basketball in D2-A and said he's spoken with the Razorbacks coaching staff about walking on. He's the 17th commitment in Arkansas' class of 2017.

Edited by kwc

Two former local prep football stars dismissed

0804_masp_col_fb.JPG

Auburn running back Jovon Robinson (29) breaks away from Texas A&M defensive back Armani Watts (23) during the first quarter of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Nov. 7, 2015, in College Station, Texas. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

Aug. 03, 2016

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal

Two former Memphis-area high school football standouts were dismissed from their respective teams on Wednesday.

First-year University of Missouri coach Barry Odom said Walter Brady had been kicked off the team for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Brady, a sophomore who played at Trezevant before moving to Florence, Alabama, was one of the Tigers' top defenders in 2015, ranking second on the team with 12.5 tackles for loss, along with seven quarterback hurries, an interception and a fumble recovery. He was named a freshman all-American by several publications.

Auburn, meanwhile, has cut ties with former Wooddale running back Jovon Robinson, who rushed for 639 yards and scored three touchdowns last year.

"(Robinson) did not meet my standards," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said in a statement while adding "there's going to be no distractions" this year.

Robinson, who joined the Tigers as the nation's top-ranked junior college running back, came into his own at the end of last year and ran for 126 yards and was named MVP of the Birmingham Bowl victory over Memphis. He was listed as the starter heading into fall camp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to read stories like this about young men from Memphis who have worked hard to get to that particular station in life. I hope this serves as a reminder to all of the young men who are striving to play ball on the next level to take nothing for granted and let them realize that every thing can be taken away from you at the blink of an eye. I don't know the particular situation of these two young men, but both were getting significant playing time. One was even slated to be a starter. Coaches just don't release/suspend/kick players off of a team in this day in age of 'win at all costs' and with the "what have you done for me lately" expectations that the fans heap upon the head coaches, easily.  Student athletes, please read this article and realize that you have to 'represent' at ALL times. ON the field and OFF the field.

Edited by kwc

LOL ... Auburn already has a Memphian in their backfield from Memphis Wooddale. I thought it was ironic that when the U of M played Auburn in the bowl game that the RB at Auburn, who was torching the U of M defense, was himself a Memphian. Irony at its best.

As far as my POV on the UT situation ... I quite frankly think I'm being nice to UT. I think that situation is very similar in spirit to what happened at Penn State. I would have put the death penalty to Penn State. They would have been like SMU back in the day. I think that the 'reverence' for UT football overshadowed and influenced all of the reactions by the so-called 'adults'. Shameless is what comes to mind. I lost ALL respect for Butch and the coaches and administration that supported/supports him and the manner to which they responded.

My opinion.

I do not understand how you can compare Penn State and UT? That comment alone shows your clear bias against UT. It's hyperbole at best.

In all honesty with the proven corruption in Memphis in recruiting and dealing with "handlers" in football/basketball its a toxic situation to recruit. So by all means please continue to preach to others your thoughts about UT so they dont sign players from that area.

I do not understand how you can compare Penn State and UT? That comment alone shows your clear bias against UT. It's hyperbole at best.

In all honesty with the proven corruption in Memphis in recruiting and dealing with "handlers" in football/basketball its a toxic situation to recruit. So by all means please continue to preach to others your thoughts about UT so they dont sign players from that area.

UTK is a part of the SEC... They pay players to come to their school or did at least. Let's not throw my city under the bus due to a SEC practice and because you don't like K-dub's opinion about UTK. 

With that said, Roll Tide and I hate that Mr. Robinson couldn't stick and stay at Auburn. He may have messed his chances of going to the league all the way up.

It's a sexual scandal that had the coach and the university doing everything in their power to protect the football program to the point that they were willing to sacrifice individuals who were doing the right thing. It goes on at other universities, Baylor comes to mind, but these two institutions had opportunities to do the right thing in the beginning and chose to try to protect the schools image instead of letting the institution perhaps look bad in order to do the right thing.

They both did the same thing in that regard.

You can get smart with me and make derogatory remarks about me, the young men who come out of the high schools in Memphis or say any manner of thing in rebuttal to my comments because you don't like them. I get that. I also don't care. You however, obviously care what I think to the point you felt the need to remark and degrade.

It doesn't change the fact that I hold Butch Jones and the University of Tennessee in disdain for how they handled the situation. 

Your comments change nothing. It still stinks to high heaven.

For the record ... I was one of the biggest UT fans around. I was looking forward to Butch Jones recruiting Memphis. I liked the guy and I liked what he did when he was at Cincinnati. Butch was my guy.

That changed with this incident. I choose to not be a fan anymore ... as long as the people who made those decisions are still in charge. From the President to the AD to the HC. I would have put Penn State on the death penalty and I would have done similar to UT and any other university that would do such a thing. Until these big time universities realize that nothing comes before common decency, they need to be handled as such. I guarantee you, if the NCAA would have hit Penn State or Baylor with the death penalty, UT and other big time universities would have handled matters differently.

It is what it is. Football rules. Peoples lives don't. Penn State, Baylor, and UT prove that.

Edited by kwc