Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Some of you may know this fella now into his final year of birth wrestling and football...

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/schools/archer/archer-senior-quinn-miller-is-a-force-in-football-wrestling/article_95476bdd-a328-5f33-ab53-c324fc27517f.html

Archer senior Quinn Miller is a force in football, wrestling

By Will Hammock

[email protected]

Updated Sep 16, 2016 

(0)

Quinn Miller during last Friday’s game at Archer in Lawrenceville. (Photo: Karl L. Moore)

Quinn Miller during last Friday’s game at Archer in Lawrenceville. (Photo: Karl L. Moore)

Quinn Miller (right) during last Friday’s game at Archer in Lawrenceville. (Photo: Karl L. Moore)

Archer’s Quinn Miller (37) follows the block of Mason Hardin (61) during Friday night’s game against Mill Creek at Archer in Lawrenceville. (Photo: Karl L. Moore)

Archer’s Quinn Miller (37) forces McEahern quarterback Bailey Hockman (10) to the ground during Saturdayճ game in the Corky Kell Classic. (Photo: John Silas)

Quinn Miller (37) of the Archer Tigers dives to sack Connor Heyward (1) of the Peachtree Ridge Lions during last year’s high school football game at Archer High School in Lawrenceville. (Staff Photo: David Welker)

Norcross’ Griffin Barker (16) is hit as he throws by Archer’s Quinn Miller (37) during last year’s Class AAAAAA playoffs at Archer High School in Lawrenceville. (File Photo)

Archer’s Quinn Miller battles against Etowah’s Bronson Rechsteiner in the Class AAAAAA 220-pound weight class during Saturday’s state championships at Infinite Energy Center in Duluth. (Photo: Kyle Hess)

Archer’s Quinn Miller battles against North Forsyth’s Hunter Loyd in the Class AAAAAA 220-pound weight class during Saturday’s state finals at the Macon Centreplex. (Photo: Kyle Hess)

Archer’s Quinn Miller battles against North Forsyth’s Hunter Loyd in the Class AAAAAA 220-pound weight class during Saturday’s state finals at the Macon Centreplex. (Photo: Kyle Hess)

Archer’s M.J. Couzan, Daniel Bullard, Quinn Miller and Gio Fernandez celebrate their team victory with 249 points during the Class AAAAAA Traditional Wrestling State Championships at Chattahoochee High School in Johns Creek. (Staff Photo: Brendan Sullivan)

When he isn’t watching Quinn Miller in football practices or games, Archer head football coach Andy Dyer makes trips during wrestling season to watch his star linebacker in tournaments.

The spectating is often brief, though.

“I’ve made some long journeys to watch him wrestle,†Dyer said. “I spend two hours getting there and six seconds watching him because he wins so fast. I hadn’t even had time to eat popcorn yet.â€

Miller is known well in the wrestling community — his nine youth state championships are a Georgia record — and a college prospect in that sport, with offers from schools like Virginia and Princeton. He’s also one of the state’s best linebackers on the football field, where he is starting for the fourth straight season.

Dyer compares the Archer senior favorably with Brookwood grad, former All-SEC linebacker at Georgia and now professional Rennie Curran in how much he affects a football game.

“Quinn is the ultimate teammate,†Dyer said. “He’s obviously a great player, but he leads his teammates. He leads by example. It’s worth the price of admission to watch him play. … He’s a great football player. He brings everything to the table. He can run. He’s highly intelligent. He can cover. And he’s physical. To me, he’s the best linebacker I’ve seen in the state.â€

Archer’s opponents likely would agree. Some think he’s one of the best linebackers Gwinnett has produced, including Dyer, a 1991 Brookwood grad who has been in Gwinnett as a coach or player all but a couple of years of his life.

Mill Creek head coach Shannon Jarvis, in his 19th season as a Gwinnett coach, feels the same way about Miller, who his Hawks faced last week and also in last year’s quarterfinals.

“Quinn Miller may be one of the best linebackers I’ve seen in high school, period,†Jarvis said. “He’s in the top five I’ve coached against in my career. I mean that. I love watching him play. We saw him last year and seeing him this year, we have to account for him on every single play. He’s so explosive. His last two or three steps closing in are impressive. He’s the kind of player anybody would have fun watching.â€

Both Miller’s upbringing — he’s the son of a former Marine and youngest of three brothers — and his wrestling background have turned him into a highly physical linebacker.

He has wrestled since he was 5 years old, not to mention the unofficial matches at home with his older brothers, both former Parkview wrestlers. His oldest brother, Jesse, won two state wrestling titles at Parkview before wrestling at Newberry College (S.C.).

“I came out of the womb wrestling,†Miller said. “Every time (my brothers) wrestled, I was the warm-up dummy wherever they went.â€

They won’t mess with the 6-foot-1, 225-pounder anymore.

“One is four feet tall and one is 120 pounds,†Miller joked of his brothers, Jesse and Garrett.

Though they don’t match up well anymore, Miller’s brothers instilled toughness into their youngest sibling from an early age. They watched as Miller became a standout wrestler himself, racking up kids state championships and contributing greatly to the past three Archer state championship teams.

Miller was state runner-up as a freshman, state champion as a sophomore and state runner-up last season.

“I lost state last year, so that’s a goal for me, to come back and win it my senior year,†Miller said. “I kind of set a personal goal that I want to teach everybody this season.â€

That wrestling experience has helped greatly with Miller’s play in football.

“If he gets his hands on you, you’re tackled,†Dyer said of how Miller’s wrestling past helps in football. “His hand strength is incredible. If he gets one hand on the back, the guy’s tackled. Leverage is a big deal, being able to defeat blocks and I think it helps his conditioning. He’s always in great condition. He can go, go and go. Even when he’s exhausted, he can still go. He’s so strong. I saw him pick up Coach (Joel) Bridges after a win a couple of years ago and lift him over his head like a Coke can. … He’s reckless for sure. He has no regard for his body. Every ball game he finishes we have to tape something up because he’s bleeding somewhere or his knuckles are swollen. But he never misses a practice, never misses a play. He’s what football coaches are looking for in toughness.â€

Not all college football coaches, though.

Miller has his share of offers in football with a list that includes Old Dominion, Troy, The Citadel, Army and Air Force. The Power Five conference teams haven’t delivered offers yet, opting to take a wait-and-see approach as the recruiting process gets closer to February and National Signing Day for the Class of 2017. The lack of major offers doesn’t make sense to a coach like Jarvis, who said Miller is definitely an “ACC, SEC linebacker.â€

He also is a very productive linebacker with a 3.8 GPA, puzzling his own high school coach even more.

“(Miller’s lack of offers) is a conundrum, but he’s handled it extremely well,†Dyer said. “He’s a football player. He just shows up and plays. He doesn’t whine. He doesn’t pout. He just shows up and plays ball. … He’s got some really good offers, but he can play anywhere in the country. It doesn’t matter. I’ve been in the county a long time — it’s my 20th year coaching in the county — and he’s in the top five linebackers to ever come through this county.â€

That speaks volumes in a place like Gwinnett, which routinely turns out well over 100 college football signees each year.

Miller hasn’t given up on the idea of wrestling in college, adding that he wants to take a closer look at the schools that have offered in each sport. And like his coaches, he doesn’t understand why the high-level football offers haven’t come in.

“Of course I’d like to see all the big names come (with offers), but I’m not waiting on them,†Miller said. “It is a little bit frustrating. You look at the linebackers (schools) are recruiting and I’m confident in my play and that I’m better. So it is a little frustrating.â€

The frustration isn’t visible at all, Dyer said. Miller just plays football with great intensity — multiple coaches have described him as a “warrior†— and keeps making impact plays as a senior leader on a young Archer team. He continues to be a defensive force, and likely will play a bigger role offensively going forward.

Through three games, he has just three carries. But those numbers should rise in region play.

“I like when Coach Dyer gives me the ball,†Miller said. “I’ve been waiting four years for that.â€

Miller also relishes every moment in an Archer Tigers uniform, in both wrestling and football. He knows his days at the high school are limited, giving him time to reflect on his career.

“(I’ll miss) a long list of coaches,†Miller said. “I’d say the energy here I’ll miss. Everyone has pride to play for Archer. It’s not like they have to play for Archer. They’re excited to play for Archer. That’s something I’ll miss being a part of.â€

McMinn Co Pipeline Rebooted...

http://m.dailypostathenian.com/sports/article_27b26fcc-8199-11e6-8086-10604b9f0f84.html?mode=jqm

Middle school wrestling starts in McMinn

Area wrestling may have just gotten the jump start it needed.

A middle school wrestling program will start Monday that will enable middle-school aged students to gain experience before entering the high school ranks.

Unlike perennial state wrestling powers Cleveland and Bradley Central, McMinn County's wrestling team did not have a middle school program to draw from. That resulted in many of McMinn's wrestlers hitting the mat for the first time as they entered high school while the freshmen for the Raiders and Bears often have several years of experience under their belt.

McMinn County Coach Dave Stoika has wanted a middle school program for years.

"Now we can catch up and compete with them," Stoika said.

Stoika said a good middle school program is critical to high school success.

"In order to have a successful program, you must have a feeder program," Stoika said. "We've had a youth group, AAU wrestling, for 15 years, but that's not enough. It's better than nothing, but it's not enough."

Stoika will coach the middle school program this year, as well as at the high school.

The middle school program will be open to all 6th-, 7th- and 8th-grade county school system students. McMinn County School System Student Management Supervisor Lee Parkinson said Athens City Middle School students as well as those in Etowah are free to participate.

Practice begins on Monday, Sept. 26, on the upper level of the McMinn County High School gymnasium. Practices will be held daily from 4-5:30 p.m.

Students must turn in a completed physical form signed by a doctor to the coach in order to be able to practice.

No experience is required to join the middle school wrestling program. Wrestlers should bring a T-shirt and P.E. shorts to practice in.

The program's first match will be on Tuesday, Nov. 1, and the last one is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 10, which is the league championship. As a home site has not yet been settled on, all the matches will be on the road. At this point, though the schedule may not yet be finalized, McMinn's matches will be held at Cleveland Middle, Lake Forest Middle, Chattanooga Christian and Ocoee Middle.

McMinn is part of the Tennessee Valley Wrestling Conference (TVWC). Member schools besides McMinn are Baylor, Boyd-Buchanan, Chattanooga Christian, Cleveland, Dalton, Ga, Lake Forrest (Bradley), McCallie, Ocoee (Walker Valley), Rhea County and Whitwell.

The weight classes are 72, 78, 86, 94, 100, 108, 115, 123, 130, 140, 150, 165, 185, 215 and 265 pounds. The lower weight classes are primarily for 6th graders.

The effects of having the middle school program won't be felt overnight, but Stoika, who has already talked to some of the county elementary schools about the program, believes the middle school program can be competitive immediately.

"We have some talented wrestlers in the area and I think we can compete this year," Stoika said. "I don't know how many matches we will win, but I think we can be competitive. Now, how long before you see the effect in high school? Probably when these kids are juniors and seniors, and maybe sooner."

Stoika said he appreciates the efforts of those who made the middle school program a reality, specifically pointing out McMinn County Director of Schools Mickey Blevins and McMinn County School Board member Donna Cagle.

"I'm thankful that were are able to get a middle school program in place and thankful to those who made it possible," Stoika said.

Many of us may have noticed odd happenings at the Olympics from banned Russians showing up to strange calls...

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/46587-how-uww-s-chief-referee-rigged-the-olympic-games

How UWW's Chief Referee Rigged The Olympic Games

Photo: Marion Stein

Sep 26, 2016

Christian Pyles

Temo Kazarashvili (left) and United World Wrestling's Chief Referee Antonio Silvestri (right) were instrumental in the corruption throughout the wrestling portion of the Olympic Games.

Doping, thrown bouts and match fixing. Unfortunately, international wrestling has never been short on allegations; what's been missing is evidence. After reviewing the officiating assignments in Rio, we think we found it. The evidence shows clear manipulation of a portion of the refereeing body, far more than anyone ever realized.

Everyone watched in disbelief during the 2016 Olympic Games at some of the calls. We didn't experience run of the mill bad calls - we observed corruption orchestrated by none other than United World Wrestling's Chief Referee, Antonio Silvestri. FloWrestling reached out to Mr. Silvestri on multiple occasions, but received no response.

Of note, the numbers next to the officials names are their UWW assigned official number. Using the olympic website, you can see the names for every official for each mat.

How They Did It

What you need to know beforehand is the process by which officials are selected for different mats/matches. The selection to determine which officials will call which matches is supposed to be random, with the exception that no official may be on the mat for their own country.

Antonio Silvestri is the one man tasked with assigning officiating crews to different matches. What you will find below is Mr. Silvestri's unthinkable, yet transparent, attempt at rigging the outcomes of matches by predetermining the assignments of certain officials to work three countries (Russia, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan) at a rate that is beyond what could be considered coincidence. All told, there are 10 officials whose usage is beyond just suspicious and is undeniable evidence of officiating corruption.

What Silvestri set up was a group of officials who were in on the scheme, and whom he, as United World Wrestling's chief referee, assigned to work matches of the three implicated countries at an astounding rate.

It is important to know, the mere presence of these same officials involved with an inordinate number of matches with the three implicated countries is evidence of corruption. Just because a blatant and poor call wasn't made doesn't mean there wasn't nefarious action going on.

Few can believe Mr. Silvestri, a German, crafted the scheme that benefitted Russia, Uzbekistan and Azebaijain by himself. Yet after reviewing the assignments, he certainly acquiesced to whatever coercion was applied.

High-Profile Hijinx

As we saw the clearly rigged calls during the Olympic games involving the Reza Yazdani/Khetag Gazyumov and Franklin Gomez/Ikhtor Navruzov bouts, it is important to understand that these seemingly isolated incidents were actually a part of a grand scheme and an undeniable pattern of officiating impropriety either created or agreed to by Antonio Silvestri.

Take for example the officials involved in the Navruzov/Gomez match and Yazdani/Gazyumov match. The officials of note in the 97kg bout were Konstantin Mikhaylov (Uzbekistan) and Temo Kazarashvili (Georgia) . The jury of review had Sergey Novakovskiy of Russia. In the 65kg bout, we saw Tong-Kun Chung (South Korea) and Temo Kazarashvili (again) along with Sergey Novakovskiy (again). The two complicit officials (for whom will demonstrate a pattern of corruption for throughout this article) intentionally butchered calls. In what was perhaps the most egregious call of the Olympic Games, Mikhalylov and Kazaashvili both white paddled the takedown for Yazdani in the 97kg match vs. Gayzumov. In on the act was Novakovskiy, who would not allow the takedown as the jury of review. Fifteen minutes later much of this same crew would turn their misdeeds to the Navruzov/Gomez bout. The call was butchered by Chung (who hysterically changed his call 3 times before he got on the same page as Kazarashvili) and Kazarashvili, who once again had their bad call upheld by Novakovskiy in the review.

1 Blue, the initial call by Chung.

Then 2 blue?

Now 2 red!

Novakoskiy blatantly ignores the right call twice as a juror, in this image, suppressing an honest juror from grabbing the blue paddle for Franklin Gomez.

The Ejected Officials Statistics

But we all already know this, this corruption was observed and documented. What you'll see now is that these officials were not there by happenstance.

#47 Tong-Kun Chung, South Korea - Ejected

Chung was the official for Russia, Azerbaijan and/or Uzbekistan an incredible 53% of the time. Everytime he was a chairman, there was a Russian on the mat. For all of Uzbekistan's matches, Chung was on the call 15% of the time. Mr. Chung would be disqualified following the Navruzov/Gomez match.

#45 Temo Kazarashvili, Georgia - Ejected

While Temo's involvement wasn't statistically as rampant as a few others. He still was involved with an implicated country at a clip of 50%. Additionally, his usage during two of Davit Chakvatadze's (of Georgian descent) bouts coupled with his blatant ignorance of the UWW rule set point a clear picture that Kazarashvili was among the corrupted. Silvestri would ultimately disqualify Mr. Kazarashvili following the Navruzov/Gomez swindle.

Kazarashvili theatrically advocates for the incorrect call in the Gomez/Navruzov bout.

#14 Sergey Novakovskiy, Russia - Ejected

The numbers aren't as staggering with Novakovskiy either, but he is as obviously dishonest as anyone involved. While he only was a juror for Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan 20% of the time, he changed the outcomes of at least two of those bouts, negating his fellow jury member in both the Navruzov/Gomez and the Yazdani/Gazyumov matches.

Novakovskiy (Left) ignores the blatant takedown by Reza Yazdani, to the chagrin of fellow juror, Zach Errett, who signals for 2.

The Additional Implicated

The realization and acknowledgement of these patterns takes you down a black hole of blatant corruption. We found even more beyond the initial patterns of ejected officials.

#29 Ihar Brel, Belarus

When Brel was a judge, 85% of those bouts involved Russia, Azerbaijan and/or Uzbekistan. When Brel was an official, 53% of those matches involved Russia, Azerbaijan and/or Uzbekistan. He was the referee for 20% of all Uzbekistan matches. Of the nine matches he was involved with in MFS, eight featured Russia, Azerbaijan and/or Uzbekistan.

#35 Kochkor Kulmatov, Kyrgyzstan

Kulmatov officiated 11 bouts for men's freestyle. Ten of those bouts involved Russia, Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan. Ten. This cannot happen in an appropriately random mat assignment. As an example, highly regarded American official Sammy Julian officiated 8 matches in men's freestyle. None of his eight matches involved an implicated country. This is in stark contrast to Kulmatov's 10 out of 11 matches with implicated countries.

Brel and Kulmatov appear to have been a team for the purposes of the conspiracy. They were paired up as ref and judge six times, all of which were for Russia, Uzbekistan or Azerbaijan.

Brel and Kulmatov were also paired together in a completely flabbergasting way. First of all, a five-person combination hitting twice does not happen. Second, if it does, they don't have the same specific jobs. Third, they won't happen in the same style, in the same round, for the same country! The grouping was ref Ihar Brel (BLR), judge Kochkar Kulmatov (KGZ), chair Andrey Krikov (RUS), Jury 1 Bakhytzhan Jaxykulov (KAZ) and Jury 2 Noreddine Mochaffaa (MAR). While Jaxykulov is not implicated, it is impossible that this same group would be seen twice in two days.

#5 Edisher Machaidze, Georgia

Machaidze was involved in 31 matches for Greco Roman. Of those matches, 18 involved a combination of Russia, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan. Machaidze only officiated 13 matches that did not involve those three countries. In men's freestyle, Machaidze officiated in 15 of the 43 total matches wrestled by Russia, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan. (35% of those nations bouts). Of the 90 bouts wrestled by other countries, Machaidze only officiated 18%.

#12 Konstantin Mikhaylov, Uzbekistan

Mikhaylov was the chairman for the Yazdani/Gazyumov bout. He was the official for 10% of all Azerbaijan matches. The only official who was involved at a higher rate of Azeri bouts was Stanislav Sernek. He also officiated high profile bouts including Khinchegashvili (GEO) and Aliyev's (AZE) quarterfinal as well as Aliyev and Dubov's (BUL) bronze medal match.

#15 Uwe Manz, Germany

Of the bouts Manz refereed, 83% involved Russia, Uzbekistan and/or Azerbaijan. Forty-eight percent of the matches he was the chairman involved those same three countries. For all of Azerbaijan's matches, Manz was the chair for 20% of the bouts, for Uzbekistan it was 15%.

Uwe Manz (GER) is considered one of the best officials in the world, so much so that he was awarded the "Golden Whistle" by UWW after the Olympics. It is possible that he was used to throw off the stench of corruption on his peers, in a way helping to legitimize what an officiating crew is supposed to be, which is fair and unbiased.

Manz (official #15) was used in 52 matches, 40 of which he appeared as the chairman. Between MFS and GR, he was the chairman 26 times; 12 for UZB/RUS/AZE matches and 14 times otherwise.

On the surface, one could view these assignments and think that he his in cahoots with the dirty officials. However, the purpose of using him as a chairman is to essentially neuter his effectiveness in negating bad calls. It is also likely he is not the only patsy in the scheme, though Manz is the most high profile.

#10 Noreddine Mochaffaa, Morocco

Of the 42 matches that Russia, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan wrestled in Greco Roman, Mochaffaa was on the jury in 25 of those matches, or 60% of the time. For all other countries' 94 matches, he was only on the jury for 13 bouts or 14%. For men's freestyle, of the 43 matches involving the three implicated countries, Mochaffa was on the jury for 20 of them (47%). For all other countries he was just involved just 21% of the time.

Incredibly, Mochaffaa and the aforementioned Machaidze were on the jury for 83% of all Russia, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan's matches for men's freestyle. The same was true for Greco Roman. Machaidze or Mochaffaa were on the jury for 74% of all of Russia, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan's matches. That said, Mr. Mochaffa may also be a well placed decoy in the scheme. Since he was a jury member and only involved when a call was challenged, there are not enough action points to say for certain that Mr. Mochaffa was complicit in the scheme.

#27 Stanislav Sernek, Slovenia

Of the 19 matches Sernek was involved with during men's freestyle, 14 of those involved an implicated country. Of note, he was also part of the refereeing body when the Mongolian coaches displayed their distrust with the system after Ganzorig (65kg) lost his bout in the closing seconds on a caution point.

A particularly damning stat for Sernek is that he was the chairman for Sadulaev three times. No other athlete in MFS had the same chairman three times. Considering there were 11 chairmen used in the 22 matches at 86kg, the odds of this happening are extremely low.

#8 Andrey Krikov, Russia

Krikov was the mat chairman for Azerbaijan in 24% of their bouts. A closer look reveals Krikov having been the chairman in back-to-back bouts with Jabril Hasanov (AZE). Additionally he was on the mat for both Gazyumov's (AZE) and Sharifov's (AZE) quarterfinal matches. Quarterfinal bouts are paramount in international wrestling as a win in the quarters guarantees a medal match. He was the chairman for 22% of all Azeri matches, and 20% of all Uzbekistan matches.

#17 Hirjan Sharifov, Azerbaijan

Of the matches that officiated, 50% of them involved Russia and Uzbekistan. He officiated 14% of all of Russia's matches.

High Profile Hijinx

You've seen the incredible numbers, you've seen the rigged matches and now you'll see how these crews were placed for different athletes. Think of them as ushers, tasked with aiding certain countries from point a to point b(the next round). For someone like Abdulrashid Sadulaev, he didn't need these officials help. However, three of Abdulrashid Sadulaev's four matches had Stanislav Sernek as the chairman.

Quarterfinals

A careful review of the implicated officials shows that the round with the most chicanery is the quarterfinals, which are very important in international wrestling. First of all, they are still early enough that fewer eyes will be on them than say a medal match or final. But more importantly, a quarterfinal win guarantees that you wrestle for a medal, which appears to be the goal of this scheme for Russia, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan.

In the event of a questionable call, a corrupted staff would need two out of three between ref, judge and chairman, as well as one of two jurors, to have a questionable call go in the favor of a certain wrestler. This type of combination could be found in the Aliyev (AZE), Sharifov (AZE) and Gazyumov (AZE) quarters for MFS. On the Greco side, it was used for the quarters of Tasmuradov (UZB), Chunayev (AZE), Vlasov (RUS), Mursaliev (AZE) and Chakvetadze (RUS).

Khetag Gazyumov, Azerbaijan

Gazyumov's run is a path wrought with implicated officials from start to finish. In his five matches, he saw Kulmatov three times and Ihar Brel three times. Noreddine Mochaffaa was on his jury for the quarters, semis and finals. Additionally, Sernek was the ref for both his semifinal and the gold medal match. All told, he saw 15 different officials out of 25. Of those 15, nine of them are implicated in the officiating scandal. Each match of his featured at least three implicated officials. The intent of this officiating orchestration was revealed in Gazyumov's quarterfinal against Yazdani. Everyone of Gazyumov's matches had at least 3 implicated officials.

Compare that with Kyle Snyder, who saw 17 different officials out of a possible 20 in his four matches. The only overlap was that he had Osamu Saito [4] twice as a judge, he had Levant Sen twice, once as a ref and once as a chairman, and he had Edit Dozsa twice, once as a jury member and once as a chairman. When the matches are reviewed at the same time, it is obvious Silvestri orchestrated a helpful path to the finals for Azerbaijan.

Davit Chakvatadze, Russia

Another wrestler who had a yellow brick road laid for him to the final was Davit Chakvetadze. The 85kg Greco champion wrestles for Russia but is of Georgian descent (this is an important distinction). Of his first four matches, he had Noreddine Mochaffaa four times as a juror, which is a number so astronomically low (0.077% of the time) it shouldn't happen even over the course of multiple tournaments. Chakvetadze also saw Sernek twice as a chariman, Brel twice and Kulmatov twice.

Not only are the sheer numbers damning, what absolutely cannot be excused is the use of Temo Kazarashvili as the referee in two of Chakvetadze's matches. Kazarashvili is a Georgian ref, Chakvetadze has Georgian roots. There is no possible way Silvestri missed this fact. The two matches Kazarashvili was assigned to ref were crucial ones for Chakvetadze: his quarterfinal, which would guarantee him the right to wrestle for a medal if he wins, and the gold medal match. Considering the power the on-mat ref has in terms of stopping par terre, it is an immensely valuable position to hold in a Greco-Roman match.

Haji Aliyev (AZE) vs Vladimer Khinchegashvili (GEO)

When you know the implicated officials and have it laid out where to look for potential nefarious action, one match that stands out is Haji Aliyev (AZE) vs Vladimer Khinchegashvili (GEO). In this match, our friend Tong-Kun Chung was the referee for this match. In this match four of the five officials involved were implicated. Tong-Kun Chung, Konstantin Mikhaylov, Noreddine Mochaffaa and Sergey Novakoskiy. Then you watch the match, and the stink of corruption was undeniable. In spite of the clear bias towards the Azeri Aliyev, Khinchegashvili still managed to get his hand raised.

In the beginning of the second period, Aliyev takes a leg attack, Khinchegashvili throws him by for the counter td. Chung blows the whistle to put them up! I can only guess, but assume he attempted to call a slip. Chung likely should have been ejected immediately following this match.

Clear takedown by Khinchegashvili waved off by Chung.

Later in the match, Aliyev gets a takedown and immediately asked to be put back up neutral(not wanting to spend time getting a turn on par terre) to which Chung obliges. The top wrestler is not supposed to be able to make this determination. This time on top is typically around 15 seconds in freestyle, but Chung, eager to assist Aliyev, immediately puts the two neutral.

Aliyev allowed to get up 3 seconds after takedown

Conclusion

It may be unbelievable, but this article merely scratches the surface of the corruption created by Antonio Silvestri at the Olympic games. With more time and statistical analysis, many more conclusions can be drawn.

What is undeniable is that Antonio Silvestri, the man tasked with ensuring fairness and equity, went out of his way to set the antithesis into motion. The question that follows that is "why?" Why would a German official, who rose to the rank of chief referee by earning widespread trust of the international wrestling community, suddenly jeopardize the integrity of the sport and himself? One can safely assume that Silvestri succumbed to pressures from much higher powers.

It is incumbent upon United World Wrestling leadership to use the findings of this article to confront and remove the criminals within their ranks. Given the watchful eye placed on wrestling as it pertains to the Olympic program, the sports future may rely on an appropriate response from United World Wrestling.

Editor's Note: Special thanks to Dan Lobdell and Andrew Spey for their invaluable contributions. For a deeper look at some of the most troubling and baffling stats pertaining to official usage,go here.

More From FloWrestling

113 #1-So. Nick Suriano (NJ) vs. #2-Fr. Spencer L...

74 kg Final - Mark Hall, OTC vs Jason Nolf, PSU

Jaime Gray Talking Wartburg and Elite TD C...

21 COMMENTS

POST COMMENT

Newest | Oldest | Hot Threads

bobkill12 hours ago

Our country's great sense of fairness make us gasp in disbelief at the blatant corruption possibilities that play themselves out on the wrestling mat. But is it any surprise, considering how corrupt the IOC is? If the IOC is being bribed continuously, with no transparency whatsoever, why wouldn't the corruption and bribery filter down? Unless there is moral and ethical high ground at the top of an organization, how can there be any l...

10000471142337612 hours ago

A random process for mat-assigning officials and jurors doesn't need human involvement other than to push a button. Why is the head official involved...

Trumpeter5714 hours ago

These guys are being paid. Too bad for international wrestling. Unless they can find a solution the Olympics will be without one of the original sport.

Sep 26, 2016

Christian Pyles

More From FloWrestling

113lbs m, Gavin Teasdale, PA vs. Roman...

2016 National Prep Tournament Preview

Lou Rosselli - Elbow Pop Set Ups to High Crotch

Post Olympic Pound-For-Pound Rankings

Aug 25, 2016

DanLobdell

More From FloWrestling

132lbs Match Luke Pletcher (PA) vs. Yianni...

Aaron Pico training with Russian coach and worl...

74kg Finals Mark Hall (Minnesota Strom) vs. C...

Top 10 Most Memorable Olympic Moments

Aug 22, 2016

Ryan Holmes

More From FloWrestling

Seelhammer or Steelhammer at C3 In I...

The Ten Greatest American Wrestlers Of...

Yazdani Charati Shares His In-Match Approach

Olympic Team Scores, If They Were Kept

Aug 22, 2016

DanLobdell

More From FloWrestling

Mark Hall and Seth Gross Stance-Motion Drill

Top Tier Coaching For Who's #1

Millage Home In Iowa

Aug 22, 2016

My Name Is Jordan (Trailer)

2016 Lineup Look: Weight Changes At Penn St

The Best High Wrestling Room In The USA

Frank Molinaro Bit During Olympic Wrestling Match

Aug 21, 2016

Christian Pyles

More From FloWrestling

Elite Takedown Locker Rooms and Wrestling R...

Single Leg Finish Beating A Tough Sprawl

Kyle Snyder Becomes Youngest Olympic Champ

Aug 21, 2016

DanLobdell

Mongolian Coaches Strip Naked In Protest During Olympics

Aug 21, 2016

Christian Pyles

UWW Releases Statement About Ejected Officials

Aug 21, 2016

Christian Pyles

SEARCH

FloSports, Inc.

FloSports, an innovative sports media and events company, based in Austin, Texas, is the authentic source for content and a new world of coverage that true fans have been waiting for. Focused on three areas – live competition and coverage, original content, and owned and operated events – the company takes fragmented communities and provides them the platform to connect with the sports they love.

Learn More at FloSports.tv

WrestlingTrackMileSplitGymnasticsEliteSoftballGrapplingBoxingCheerHoopsVarsity.tvVolleyballCombatTennisFloKOFloClimbingFloMarching

FloWrestling

Edited by Sommers

Oh, if you hadn't heard... #6 - AA Ryan Millhof looking to transfer from OU to somewhere... where could that be?

Being from Atlanta, could he desire being closer to home? He'd certainly get pushed some in Chattanooga by the lightweights

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/45524-ryan-millhof-plans-to-leave-ou

Going to Arizona State.

Going to Arizona State.

Yes, Zeke got a good light weight along with a decent middle weight transfer...

Former Collins Hill and Oklahoma wrestler Ryan Millhof Transferring To Arizona State

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/46860-what-diehard-sports-fans-are-saying-about-flopro-universal-access

Photo: Austin Bernard

Oct 3, 2016

Christian Pyles

Ryan Millhof takes Darian Cruz at 2016 NCAAs: When head coach Mark Cody left Oklahoma, the rumors swirled immediately that Ryan Millhof would be the next man out of Norman, Oklahoma.

In late August, Millhof let FloWreslting know he would be looking to transfer out of Oklahoma.

The All-American at 125 pounds last March has made his decision. Millhof, a junior, will be heading to Tempe, AZ to wrestle for Arizona State. A Georgia native, Millhof will be redshirting this coming season and look to compete at 125 pounds for the Sun Devils next year.

Millhof made a statement about his transfer via Twitter:

Millhof is not the first big-time transfer to head to sunny Arizona. NCAA champion Jason Tsirtsis, who transferred from Northwestern, is also on campus and is likely to compete for ASU next year at 149 or 157 pounds.

Edited by Sommers

Huge choice for a balanced life for Burroughs and his family...

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/46897-jordan-burroughs-contemplating-retiring-from-wrestling#at_pco=smlrebh-1.0&at_si=57f5c625f528e3f0&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=1&at_tot=3

Jordan Burroughs Contemplating Retiring From Wrestling

Photo: Tony Rotundo

Jordan Burroughs Contemplating Retiring From Wrestling

Oct 4, 2016

Ryan Holmes

Check out FloWrestling's documentary on Jordan Burroughs heading into the Olympic Games:

We all watched as our champion, Jordan Burroughs, tasted defeat in Rio at the Olympic Games. It was the first time that we have seen him fail to medal since arriving on the international scene. But now...is he done?

Burroughs posted a blog Tuesday on his website that started with love and ended in disbelief.

Let me start by saying that I love you, still. Although our most recent encounter could be described as anything but pleasant, I couldn't imagine my life without you. As you probably already know, these last few weeks have been difficult for me.

It's an unfamiliar position for a man who's given everything to the pursuit of world success (and through which fans worldwide adored). Burroughs sounds as if he's struggling with life after Rio.

In the end, Burroughs gives us a glimpse of where his mindset is as he hints at retirement.

But God honors the humble. Being human ain't so bad. So as I consider our relationship, Wrestling, I'm finding solace in being who I am without my singlet. I'm waking up early not to rush to practice, but to make breakfast for my family. I'm driving my car past the wrestling room to take my son to gymnastics class. I just need some time to heal. I hope you understand. It's not you. It's me. I need a fresh perspective, and if I hurry back to you I'll be sacrificing this opportunity to grow. When you stop seeing gold, you gain the clarity to see life's true treasures. Maybe I'll see ya around. Maybe.

------------------------------------

Former wrestlers going pro...

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/46945-ed-ruth-tyrell-fortune-set-for-bellator-debuts

The mixed martial arts scene is riddled with former wrestlers. And now two more guys are set to make their mark in the Bellator cage as three-time NCAA Champion Ed Ruth and Tyrell Fortune, a two-time NJCAA Champion and Division II champion, received their first opponents.

SANTA MONICA, CALIF (October 6, 2016) --Two of Bellator's highly touted wrestling prospects Ed Ruth and Tyrell Fortune will make their eagerly anticipated mixed martial arts debuts against Mark Mangiardi (Debut) and Kentucky native Cody Miskell (Debut) during the stacked card of"Bellator 163: McGeary vs. Davis" on November 4 at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn. Each of these contests will air on the Bellator.com-streamed preliminary card beginning at 7:50 p.m. ET/5:50 p.m. CT.

----------------------

Coach Higgins Promoting another Sport that requires Mental Focus and Creatively Gives His Trojans Support...

From Chattanoogan...

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/10/4/333300/Soddy-Daisy-Trojan-Legacy-Golf-Classic.aspx&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTMTA3OTU4NjMxNjAzMTQwNzI2ODIaZDNhOGVlMDEwMzFlN2RkYjpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNEciShcI8hcyYDHbdDaz5mmy7gIwg

Soddy-Daisy Trojan Legacy Golf Classic Fundraiser Is Oct. 22

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Soddy-Daisy High School’s Takedown Club will hold its fifth Annual Trojan Legacy Golf Classic Fundraiser on Saturday, Oct. 22 at Moccasin Bend Golf Club. The day begins with registration and breakfast at 8 a.m. followed by a shotgun 4-Player Select Start at 8:30 a.m.

Early registration is strongly encouraged to aid in planning the event and to help golfers save money, but walk-ups also are welcome. Early registration prices, due by Oct. 17, are $300 per team or $75 for individuals. Walk-up teams can register for $320 with an individual price of $80.

In addition to breakfast, door prizes will be available and lunch will be included at the end of the event. The winning team will take home $300 and bragging rights until next year.

"SDTC supports Soddy-Daisy’s wrestling team along with parents, sponsors and patrons.

Their combined efforts have enabled its program to flourish and remain a consistent positive environment for young athletes. These young men learn life skills while in the pursuit of both team and personal athletic achievement," officials said.

To continue to support the Soddy-Daisy wrestling team, businesses or individuals are invited to purchase a $100 Hole Sponsorship or $50 Cart Sponsorship. Also available are $200 Hole Sponsorships that entitle the donor to a free Cart Sponsorship – a $250 value for $200. In addition, donations to the SDTC are accepted.

For additional information, contact head coach Jim Higgins at 423-605-7003 or email [email protected].

Edited by Sommers

• 2 weeks later...

http://kingtornado.com/sports/wwrest/2016-17/releases/20161015p2vsj3

FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The top ranked and three-time defending national champion King University women's wrestling team opened the 2016-17 season with an impressive showing at the Emmanuel Open on Saturday. King posted six different individual champions out of seven weight class entries and had the top two finishers in two weight classes.

HOW IT HAPPENED

• King entered three wrestlers at 101 pounds, and all three reached the semifinals. Marina Doi earned a pair of 10-0 technical fall wins over Maia Phanthadara of University of the Cumberlands and Cassidy Ferrell of King to reach the finals.
  • Regina Doi also reached the finals, earning a 10-0 technical fall win over Rebecca Forsyth of Cumberlands before topping Sarah Allen of Cumberlands 8-3 to reach the finals. Marina and Regina were then named co-champions after a double forfeit in the finals.
  • Ferrell took a 16-8 vicotry over Naomi Chavez of Emmanuel College to reach the semifinals before falling to teammate Marina Doi. She then fell to Allen in the third place bout to give her a fourth place finish.
  • At 109 pounds, the championship bout was between a pair of Tornado, Breonnah Neal and Aleeah Gould. The veteran, Neal took a 10-0 technical fall victory over the freshman to take the title.
  • All four of Neal's victories on the day were 10-0 technical fall victories. She first topped AArelys Valles of Cumberlands before defeating Chelsea Reynosa and Iesha Washington of Emmanuel to reach the finals.
  • Gould earned her first two career victories by fall, pinning Emmanuel's Jessie Childs in 48 seconds and following it with a 2:15 pin of Nikki Weidman of Life University. Gould reached the finals with a 6-4 decision over Emmanuel's Maria Vidales.
  • Hanna Grisewood went 3-0, all 10-0 technical fall victories at 123 pounds to take the title. She first topped Kellyann Jimenez of Cumberlands before defeating Amanda Nelson of Ferrum College. Grisewood capped the day, defeating Kayla Messar of Life in the finals.
  • In her first career collegiate tournament, Nicole Joseph came away with a title at 130 pounds. Her first career victory came by fall as she pinned Brianna Bogdan of McKendree University in 3:46. She followed it with a 10-0 technical fall win over Aysia Cortez of Life before pinning Autumn Potkay of Ferrum in 5:08 in the championship bout.
  • At 143 pounds, Hannah Jewell earned a pair of technical fall victories and one by fall en route to the title. She started with an 11-0 win over Shannon Henry of McKendree before pinning Jasmine Bailey of McKendree. She earned the title with a 10-0 victory over Hannah Gladden of Cumberlands.
  • Forrest Molinari won her first two bouts at 170 pounds by 10-0 technical fall, defeating Courteney Tompkins of Cumberlands and Nadine Fiege of Life to reach the finals. However, she fell to Cumberlands' Jessika Rottier 6-2 in the finals, giving Molinari a second place finish.
  • Another Tornado freshman took home a championship in her first collegiate tournament, Kenya Spencer at 191 pounds. Spencer took her first career win on a 10-0 technical fall when she topped Kayla Wade of Emmanuel. She followed with a pin of Lifes Kelly Swanson in 1:41 to reach the finals. In the finals she came away with a 3-3 victory on criteria over Janelle Fuamatu of McKendree.

KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS

101 - Marina Doi 2-0; Regina Doi 2-0; Cassidy Ferrell 2-2

109 - Breonnah Neal 4-0; Aleeah Gould 3-1

123 - Hanna Grisewood 3-0

130 - Nicole Joseph 3-0

143 - Hannah Jewell 3-0

170 - Forrest Molinari 2-1

191 - Kenya Spencer 3-0

UP NEXT

• King will be in action again on November 11-12 when some of the Tornado will compete at the Patriot Duals and others at the Bill Farrell International Classic.
  • Upvote 1

TSSAA wrestling classifications for 2017-21

Michael Murphy | [email protected]

CLASS AAA

(Enrollments of 1,010 and greater)

East Hamilton 1,038

Tullahoma 1,042

Anderson Co. 1,060

Stone Memorial 1,061

Montgomery Central 1,077

Springfield 1,081

Lawrence Co. 1,082

Seymour 1,102

Hillwood 1,103

Clinton 1,105

Knoxville Central 1,106

Knoxville Catholic 1,114

Sevier Co. 1,119

Page 1,123

Beech 1,139

Volunteer 1,152

South Doyle 1155

Kenwood 1,163

Cocke Co. 1,177

White Co. 1,184

Tennessee 1,190

Lenoir City 1,192

Soddy-Daisy 1,217

Karns 1,233

Hillsboro 1,238

Knoxville Halls 1,245

David Crockett 1,247

Munford 1,247

Kingsbury 1252

Glencliff 1,275

Northwest 1,291

Daniel Boone 1,314

Bolton 1,326

Powell 1,346

Clarksville 1,364

Brighton 1,364

Shelbyville Central 1,370

Northeast 1,385

West Creek 1,404

Summit 1,406

Walker Valley 1,411

Hunters Lane 1,422

Franklin Co. 1,447

Morristown East 1,472

Rhea Co. 1,489

Southwind 1,496

Dickson Co. 1,519

Hendersonville 1,531

Ooltewah 1,537

Cleveland 1,546

Morristown West 1,551

McMinn Co. 1,556

Heritage 1,559

Rossview 1,611

Cane Ridge 1,646

Centennial 1,667

Independence 1,677

Maryville 1,684

Bradley Central 1,705

Coffee Co. Central 1,733

Farragut 1,734

Franklin 1,745

Brentwood 1,754

Ravenwood 1,772

Siegel 1,782

LaVergne 1,813

William Blount 1,818

Smyrna 1,857

Houston 1,865

Wilson Central 1,876

Lebanon 1,905

Overton 1,907

Antioch 1,993

Riverdale 2,020

Germantown 2,027

Hardin Valley 2,035

Arlington 2,042

Warren Co. 2,053

Bearden 2,063

Stewarts Creek 2,109

Mt. Juliet 2,145

White Station 2,155

Oakland 2,173

Blackman 2,175

Jefferson Co. 2,185

Cookeville 2,203

Dobyns Bennett 2,208

Science Hill 2,248

McGavock 2,266

Cordova 2,267

Collierville 2,372

Bartlett 2,513

CLASS A-AA

(Enrollments of 1,009 and below)

Greenback 234

Sale Creek  295

Whitwell 321

Grace Christian Academy – Franklin 324

Eagleville 437

Memphis East 494

Tyner Academy 525

Watertown 537

Hamilton 541

Happy Valley 541

Forrest 547

Brainerd 574

Harpeth 574

Chuckey-Doak 618

West Greene 621

Signal Mountain 638

Pearl Cohn 643

Alcoa 646

Continue reading below

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN

CMT Artists of the Year: The best moments

Westboro Baptist to picket Nashville LGBT center, universities

Keith Urban and the art of living in the now

Should affordable housing have 'conduct' rules for tenants?

Corker, Alexander: Trump must accept election results

Whites Creek 659

Stratford 668

Cheatham Co. Central 682

Sequatchie Co. 693

Kingston 708

Fairview 710

Pigeon Forge 741

Northview Academy 743

East Nashville Magnet School 750

Sycamore 760

Red Bank 785

Elizabethton 819

East Ridge 827

Greenbrier 833

The Howard School 839

Union Co. 850

White House 874

Livingston Academy 876

Sullivan South 887

Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet 889

Greeneville 913

Chattanooga Central 936

Millington Central 940

Sullivan East 941

Hixson 941

Nolensville 942

Martin Luther King 961

Creek Wood 986

Fulton 987

Cumberland Co. 1,000

Gibbs 1,009

Division II

St. Andrew's – Sewanee School 176

Donelson Christian Academy 209

Nashville Christian School 213

Franklin Road Academy 266

Silverdale Baptist Academy 279

Boyd Buchanan 292

Goodpasture Christian School 311

Grace Christian Academy – Knoxville 316

Battle Ground Academy 364

St. George's Independent School 389

Christian Academy of Knoxville 400

Notre Dame 419

Webb School of Knoxville 449

Christ Presbyterian Academy 449

Chattanooga Christian School 458

Ensworth 463

Brentwood Academy 497

Lipscomb Academy 518

Pope John Paul II 556

Briarcrest 573

Baylor School 721

St. Benedict at Auburndale 763

Memphis University School 874

Father Ryan 912

Montgomery Bell Academy 1,030

McCallie School 1,316

Christian Brothers 1,776

Mocs to Host Candlelight Dinner Match on Nov. 10

UTC is bringing back a very unique event for the VMI dual.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team is bringing back a very unique evening of competition with the 2016 Candlelight Dinner Match.  This triennial event is set to take place against VMI on Thursday, Nov. 10, at 7:00 p.m. in Maclellan Gym. 

Chattanooga opens its Southern Conference schedule against the Keydets on an evening wrestling fans should not miss.  Instead of pulling out the bleachers in the lower section of Maclellan Gym, UTC is bringing in tables of eight, with formal place settings, for a full mat-side meal during the match.

Doors open at 6:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) and valet parking is available at the Douglas Street entrance to those who have purchased the Candlelight experience.  The Mocs hit the mat against VMI at 7:00 p.m.

Fans who purchase a dinner ticket will be closest to the action and enjoy the meal catered by Taziki's Mediterranean Café.  Members of the wrestling team not competing will work the room as your hosts and servers.

Space is limited and sure to fill up fast, so get your seats today.  Fans can purchase a full table, or individual places, by contacting the Mocs Club at (423) 425-5866 or [email protected].  Cost is $400 for an eight-person table, or $50 per individual ticket.  This includes valet parking, a ticket to the match, and the meal during the match.

Season tickets are still on sale now on GoMocs.com.  The first 50 to buy 2016-17 wrestling season tickets receive mat-side seating for the Virginia dual on Dec. 4.  Regular general admission seat is available in the upper levels for season and single-match ticket holders who do not purchase mat-side seats for the Candlelight Dinner event.

http://gomocs.com/news/2016/10/18/wrestling-mocs-to-host-candlelight-dinner-match-on-nov-10.aspx

UTC Announces Southern Scuffle Field, Penn State takes a break this year but Smith's #1 Cowboys are coming back...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/10/21/334536/UTC-Announces-Southern-Scuffle-Field.aspx

Friday, October 21, 2016

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga announced the field for the 2017 Southern Scuffle today.  The Mocs welcome another star-studded group of NCAA Division I collegiate wrestling teams to McKenzie Arena for the Jan. 1-2 event. 

There are nine squads listed in the Intermat Tournament Preseason Top 25 who are coming to the Scenic City, highlighted by No. 1 Oklahoma State.  The Cowboys are fresh off a runner-up finish at last year's NCAA Tournament.

Individually, there are 76 wrestlers with a preseason ranking set to compete.

This includes three NCAA Champions and 25 All-Americans. 

Missouri, Cornell and Minnesota are other top-10 teams in the field.  The Tigers are fifth in the preseason following a sixth place finish at the NCAA's.  Cornell placed seventh at the NCAAs and is in that same spot in the Intermat poll.  The Gophers check in at No. 10, following a 17th-place showing at the NCAA Tournament.    

Other teams ranked in the top 25 include No. 12 Stanford, No. 18 Northern Iowa, No. 19 North Carolina, No. 20 Lehigh and No. 23 Penn.  Navy placed 22nd at the NCAAs in March and is also in the Scuffle field.   

"I am really very proud of what the Southern Scuffle has become during its short time in Chattanooga," stated head coach Heath Eslinger.  "We have put a lot of work into it, and our administration and local wrestling community are committed to making this a premier event each year.

"However, it is the commitment from these top teams from around the country to keep coming back that makes it such a great tournament.  The competition is second only to the NCAA Championships and you are going to continue to see a lot of high-quality wrestling."

Tickets for the 2017 Southern Scuffle are on sale now.  Daily admission is $30 for reserved seats, $20 for general admission and $10 for youth general admission.  All-session passes are $55 for reserved, $35 for general admission and $15 for youth.  Tickets can be purchased online on GoMocs.com or by calling the UTC Ticket Office at (423) 266-MOCS (6627)

http://www.kingtornado.com/sports/wrest/2016-17/releases/20161027f3c5kb

BRISTOL, Tenn. – The men's wrestling season is right around the corner, and five King University men's wrestlers are ranked in the first D2Wrestle.com Super Region II rankings. This group of five is led by Bryce Killian and Reed Jacks while Eldon Valery, Jr.Joey Mammolenti and Dustin Kirk join them in the rankings.

Killian is ranked first at 141 pounds to start the 2016-17, right where he ended last year. A season ago, Killian became the first Tornado wrestling to qualify for the NCAA Division II Men's Wrestling Championships since 2012 as he finished third at the Super Region II Championships. The Middletown, Pa., native was ranked as high as third nationally and finished the season with a 30-7 record, earning first team All-Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) following the season.

Jacks starts the season ranked seventh at 125 pounds following a year that saw him post a 24-11 record. In 2015-16, the Alabaster, Ala., native finish first at the King University Open, fourth at the Kaufman Brand Open and seventh at the Midwest Classic.

In his first season wearing the scarlet and navy, Mammolenti went 10-7 and starts 2016-17 ranked eighth at 174 pounds. The South Bend, Ind., native went 4-1 at the Kaufman Brand Open, en route to a third place finish. He later won the King University Open, winning all three of his matches.

The fourth Tornado to be ranked in the Super Region II rankings is Valery, Jr. who checks in at eighth at 197 pounds. The Virginia Beach, Va., native is coming off of a redshirt season for the Tornado. The year prior he posted a 7-5 record.

Lastly Kirk is ranked seventh at 133 following a redshirt year for the Tornado.

The D2Wrestle.com national rankings are scheduled to come out on Friday morning.

King opens the season on November 6 at the Hokie Open.

• Upvote 1

UTC Wrestlers Compete In Blue & Gold Match At Chamberland Field

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/10/28/334944/Moc-Wrestlers-Compete-In-Blue--Gold.aspx

Friday, October 28, 2016

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team continues to develop innovative ways to showcase its student-athletes to fans and supporters.  Tonight's Blue & Gold Match at Chamberlain Field was another outstanding example of these efforts.

The Mocs took their annual preseason exhibition outdoors to the middle of campus.  Over 300 fans showed with lawn chairs and blankets for a perfect fall evening in the Scenic City. 

Not only was the weather great, but those who attended were also treated to some outstanding wrestling.

Of the 10 matches, only one included bonus points, three were decided by two points or less and one went to overtime.

"I thought it was a great night, stated UTC head coach Heath Eslinger.  "We came out of it injury-free and there was some great competition.  The fans seemed to enjoy it and we love doing these types of events that are unique to our campus." 

Junior Barrett Walthall was called to pull double-duty tonight, so he went first at 184 against junior Bryce Carr.  Carr took the 6-4 decision to give the Gold team a 3-0 advantage. 

Action went back to the top of the lineup with sophomore Alonzo Allen scoring an 11-5 decision over freshman Fabian Gutierrez at 125.  That knotted the team score a 3-3. 

The Gold squad surged ahead behind freshman Chris Debein's 20-5 technical fall over sophomore Jake Huffine.  Gold won again at 141 when sophomore Roman Boylen posted a 5-0 decision over freshman Logan Sims. 

Darkness settled in about halfway through the match, creating an even more unique environment.  However, the lights from the new Chamberlain Pavilion and UTC Library helped make the crowd grow with passers-by heading to and from evening classes. 

One of two upsets took place at 149 when freshman Dylanger Potter had a 7-5 decision over senior Michael Pongracz.  Potter scored a takedown in extra time to cut Gold's lead to 11-6. 

Junior Dylan Forzani extended Gold's advantage with a 6-0 win against sophomore Trey Watson at 157, followed by junior Justin Lampe's 7-3 decision over sophomore Chad Solomon for the Blue team at 165.

Senior Sean Mappes closed the gap to 14-12 with a Blue win over Walthall at 174.  That set up a big match between junior Scottie Boykin and senior Clay Dent at 197.  Dent scored a quick takedown for a 2-0 lead right after the opening whistle.  Boykin escaped but could never get the go-ahead score against the fifth-year senior.  Dent held on for a 3-2 victory that gave Gold a 17-12 lead.

Senior Jared Johnson closed out the evening with a 7-1 decision over sophomore Connor Tolley for the Blue Team.  That left the final score at 17-15 for the Gold squad.

The Mocs open the regular season next weekend when they host Southeastern at Maclellan Gym.  Action starts early at 11:00 a.m. (E.D.T.) on Saturday, Nov. 5.  Season tickets are on sale now on GoMocs.com or by calling the UTC Ticket Office at (423) 266-MOCS (6627).