Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

1 hour ago, BQ125 said:

No Bond, Duffy and Chambers!  They will be ok.  Congrats Wilson Central.

Forgot about Bond.   Yeah, I don't think anyone in that corner of the woods is looking around with raised eyebrows.  That said the separation between WC and Arlington, Beech, Brentwood... is unquestionable.  

34 minutes ago, PurpleWrestler said:

So the traditional state title doesn’t mean anything?

Nope, never did before to me, way to much stuff that can happen with seeding or non seeding and even how many qualifiers you have go on compared to others teams. Head to head that’s how the big boys show who is the best, if not it’s pretty much like UCF claiming a national championship!

12 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Nope, never did before to me, way to much stuff that can happen with seeding or non seeding and even how many qualifiers you have go on compared to others teams. Head to head that’s how the big boys show who is the best, if not it’s pretty much like UCF claiming a national championship!

Ok so the NCAA has it wrong to? Ok I’m with you 

56 minutes ago, PurpleWrestler said:

Ok so the NCAA has it wrong to? Ok I’m with you 

They don’t ask me so I don’t care what they think, but yes I think it’s stupid they do a team one for NCAA instead of just recognizing the duals champ! So what happens if somehow Penn State only qualifies 6 of their wrestlers because a bunch don’t get a wild card into the NCAA? Yet all 6 place but an Okie State team qualifies all 10 in an easier Big 12 and they win NCAA because of it. Yet head to head Penn State beat their butts. So is Okie State still better? Heck no!

Edited by cobrakid8

Science Hill's Joseph Frye lifts Daniel Boone's Aaron Scott off the mat in their 145-pound match at Saturday's Fandetti-Richardson Brawl.

jbirchfield.jpg
SCIENCE HILL WRESTLING 

Hilltoppers take third at Fandetti-Richardson Brawl

JEFF BIRCHFIELD • JAN 12, 2019 AT 8:27 PM  

Science Hill held its own with some of the top wrestling squads in the Southeast on Saturday at the 19th annual Fandetti-Richardson Brawl at the new Science Hill Gymnasium.

Led by 170-pound champion Chase Diehl, the Hilltoppers finished third in the overall standings with 204 points. They only finished behind meet champion Point Pleasant, West Virginia, with 261 points and McCallie with 218.5 points. Science Hill was one spot ahead of Bradley Central, which beat the 'Toppers in a dual match on Friday, and two spots ahead of powerhouse Fort Mill, South Carolina.

With four finalists overall including Braxton Mann at 125, Jared Harter at 160 and Jack Tevis at heavyweight, it was quite a good account from the young team.

"The kids are wrestling hard and they know we have to maximize every moment we have on the mat," Science Hill coach Jimmy Miller said. "The season is coming to a close soon and the way we practice and the way we train is what we keep preaching to them every day. When it's your tournament, you have to maximize those moments. The kids are wrestling hard for each other and are being accountable to each other."

Diehl, a defending state champion, romped through the meet and won a 15-0 technical fall in the championship round. He was named the meet's most outstanding wrestler.

"He's a special kid, a well-rounded student-athlete who's great in the classroom and great in the wrestling room," Miller said. "He does everything the right way. He knows his shortcomings and he knows his strengths. I can't think of a better kid to coach. He's a pleasure every day and he's leading this team."

Overall, the Hilltoppers had 12 grapplers in the 14 weight classes reach the medal rounds.

Joseph Frye was third at 145, while Tyler Seeley at 132, Javelle Gillespie at 113 and Alex Hise at 195 all reached the semifinal round. Tripp Miller made it through the consolations to finish sixth at 120, while Blake Blevins at 152 and Kain Rogers at 220 had seventh-place finishes.

Other local teams included Daniel Boone in 12th, Elizabethton in 16th and Sullivan East in 19th.

Science Hill returns to action with a dual meet with Dobyns-Bennett on Tuesday night.

Bradley-Central-beats-Science-Hill-in-ea

Science Hill's Jack Tevis (left) gets ready to lock up with Bradley Central's Gavin Sewell in Friday's heavyweight match.

Jeff Birchfield

1 / 1 Science Hill's Jack Tevis (left) gets ready to lock up with Bradley Central's Gavin Sewell in Friday's heavyweight match.

jbirchfield.jpg
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING 

Bradley Central beats Science Hill in early showdown

JEFF BIRCHFIELD • JAN 11, 2019 AT 7:46 PM  

Science Hill wrestling coach Jimmy Miller made no excuses.

At this time, No. 8-ranked Bradley Central is a little ahead of his No. 10-ranked Hilltoppers. It bore out that way in a 40-30 win for the Bears on Friday evening at the new Science Hill Gymnasium.

State champion Chase Diehl, who is committed to Southern Illinois, won by forfeit at the 170-weight class. Joseph Frye at 145 and Jared Harter at 152 scored back-to-back pins, but the dual match was more about getting the entire team better.

“They’re a highly-ranked team and no excuses, they were a better team tonight,” Miller said. “We’re a little banged up, but we put our best 14 kids on the mat. We’re getting closer to where we want to be.”

Science Hill, last season’s state runner-up, swept Bradley Central in matches last season. Still, there was no illusion that the Bears would give anything other than their best efforts.

There were other high points for the Hilltoppers with Javelle Gillespie earning a 6-1 decision at 113 and Braxton Mann pulling out an 8-7 win over Bradley’s Daniel Mroz at 126.

Science Hill tied the match early at 12-all when Tyler Seeley took just 1:26 to pin Gavin Hughes at 132. The back-to-back pins by Frye at 1:40 of the second period, and Harter in just 1:01, combined with Diehl’s win gave the Hilltoppers a 30-20 lead before Bradley won the final four matches.

The heavyweight bout was closely contested as Science Hill’s Jack Tevis dropped a 3-2 decision to Bradley Central’s highly regarded Gavin Sewell.

“This match is part of the process and our kids know we’re going to keep working the next 3-4 weeks to get better and better,” Miller said. “Eventually, we’re going to climb that mountain together.”

Science Hill will now turn its attention to Saturday’s 19th annual Fandetti-Richardson Brawl. The Hilltoppers are the defending meet champions.

Strong showing for locals at Ed Cressel Classic

John Battle's Johnathan Almany faces off with Reece Nelson of Tennessee High for first place in the 120lb class Saturday afternoon.

• Andre Teague/Bristol Herald Courier

Jack Campbell of Abingdon locks up with Tennessee High's Logan Ferguson during the first place match in the 152lb class Saturday afternoon.

Lebanon's Hunter Martin wrestles with Marion's Jake Robinson for the 3rd. place match in the 126lb class Saturday afternoon.

Cody Davis of George Wythe meets Lebanon's Fisher Martin in the 3rd place match in the 145lb class Saturday afternoon.

BRISTOL, Va. – Cole Stoots was in the zone Saturday afternoon at Virginia High.

As dozens of wrestlers competed in the Ed Cressel Classic, the Lebanon senior listened to the words and beats from rappers Drake and Eminem on his headphones.

“I just go into a different world before my matches,” Stoots said.

Then came the finals of the 170-pound weight class.

With his usual mix of speed, strength and agility, Stoots won with a 19-4 technical fall over Graham’s Keith Carbaugh.

Such is the tournament routine of the three-time Class 2 state champion.

“I know the target is big on me, but I love that role and it motivates me to get up early in the morning and work hard in practice,” Stoots said.

Stoots executed several double-leg take downs to frustrate Carbaugh.

“It’s always good to wrestle those guys from Graham because they are going to throw barnyards and other crazy moves,” Stoots said.

The only loss for Stoots (27-1) this season came against Nathan Walmer (Northern Lebanon, Pennsylvania) in last week’s Brawl in the Hall at Tennessee High.

That defeat served as more motivational fuel for Stoots, who has already made space in his room for a coveted piece of hardware.

“My room is like a wrestling museum with state brackets, medals, photos and three state title rings,” Stoots said. “I want one more ring, and I’ve had two dates circled on my calendar for a long time.”

The VHSL wrestling tournament will be held Feb. 15-16 at the Salem Civic Center.

“I want it more than anything,” Stoots said.

Will Moss knows the feeling.

Since finishing fourth in the Class 2 285-pound class last season, the 6-foot-4, 286-pound Marion junior has been on a vision quest.

“I’m going to get first this year,” Moss said. “I only have one personal goal, and that’s to be the best.”

Moss has toned his body since last season through wise eating habits and a demanding workout schedule.

“I am different than the past two years,” Moss said.

Moss pinned his way through the Cressel Classic, recording a 55-second domination in the finals.

Following the match, Moss added his 24th notch on a wooden baseball bat that is used by all Marion wresters at each event. Each notch signifies a pin.

That only loss for Moss this season came last week during a tournament in Nashville.

Cressel, the tournament namesake and a former wrestling coach at Virginia High, took delight in watching the 120-pound final between John Battle sophomore Johnathan Almany and sophomore Reece Nelson of Tennessee High.

Almany is the son of John Battle wrestling coach John Almany and Nelson is the son of THS assistant coach Robbie Nelson. Both coaches wrestled for Cressel at VHS.

1362.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=186&width=330

The connection runs deeper.

“Reece and I grew up as wrestling partners at the club level,” said Johnathan Almany, who began his wrestling adventure at age 4. “I always know that Reece will go as hard as he can.”

After attempting several shots, Almany pinned his friend at the 2:34 mark of Saturday’s match with a clever head and arm move.

“I wanted to distract him so I could go for the pin,” Almany said.

Almany currently has a 28-5 record, with losses to two state champions along with a setback to Nelson in last week’s Brawl in the Hall.

Nelson took time to chat with Almany after Saturday’s loss.

“Reece and I are tight,” Almany said.

The Almany connection also includes former Battle wrester Ricky Almany and eighth-grade sensation Owen Almany, who is already doing drills with the high school team at Battle.

“Wrestling is the family sport for us,” Jonathan said.

Abingdon junior Jack Campbell can relate to that type of commitment. He started wrestling in the second grade with the Abingdon-based Highlands Wrestling Club.

“And I’ve loved the sport ever since,” Campbell said. “I feel like I’ve improved at the high school level, but I’m not where I want to be yet.”

With technically sound form, Campbell improved his record 24-1 Saturday with a 5-0 decision over Tennessee High’s Logan Ferguson at 152 pounds.

“The match didn’t go exactly the way I wanted, but I’m happy to get the win,” said Campbell, who has drawn attention from wrestling coaches at the University of Pennsylvania.

The only loss for Campbell, who is No. 1 at his weight class in statewide rankings, came in the Dec. 5 Titan Toughman at Hidden Valley High School.

Campbell has qualified for the Class 3 state tourney the past two years, but one loss in last year’s state event the stands out. That was 7-0 setback against current Bluefield College wrestler Xander Whitehurst from 16-time defending state titlist Christiansburg.

According to Campbell, part of the credit for his success can be traced to AHS senior William Seymore.

“William has been though a lot with various injuries, and we battle it out every day trying to make each better,” Campbell said.

In perhaps the marquee match of the day, Seymore dropped a 12-5 decision to Greeneville senior Trent Knight. One week after being voted as the top wrestler in the upper weight classes in the Tennessee High tournament, Knight earned the honor at VHS on Saturday.

Tennessee High senior Dillon Pendley earned the same double after pinning Abingdon’s Jack Newton in 1:30 Saturday at 138 pounds.

For the second straight week, Castlewood senior Casey Bush stopped Union junior Mason Polier with an 8-0 decision at 195.

Other area winners included Richlands junior Luke Martin (220 pounds), Graham’s Caleb Fritz (132) and Dominic Fields of Tennessee High at 160.

Greeneville won the team title with 186 points, with Lebanon (174), Tennessee High (165), Grayson County (164.5) and Abingdon (160) next in line.

Eight schools from the Roanoke Valley area were unable to attend the event due to the inclement weather.

[email protected] | Twitter: @Greg_BHCSports | (276) 645-2544

•  
Edited by Sommers