Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

logo-compact.svg
  •  

A team of their own: Rise in female wrestling numbers prompting change in the sport

DAVID THOMPSON | ASHEVILLE CITIZEN TIMES
Updated 44 minutes ago

Relentless Wrestling

0:00
0:00

Relentless Wrestling
The Relentless Wrestling girls wrestling program.

Marissa Connelly was finished sitting on the sidelines at West Henderson wrestling meets.

During her sophomore year, Connelly had held a clipboard as she kept stats for the team and her father, head coach Michael Connelly.

This season, she decided to ditch the clipboard for a singlet. 

"I started getting really into it as a statistician and started to wonder if people would have the same reaction if I started wrestling," Connelly said. "I'm not that big into sports, but I came into this and loved it. I felt pretty empowered."

Connelly is one of three girls on West Henderson's team. All three joined this year. 

I'm here to stay," she said. "There are plenty more girls that are coming after me, and the boys have to get used to that."

Since 2015, the number of girls joining their high school wrestling programs in the state has increased by 30 percent, according to numbers from the North Carolina High School Athletic Association. There are now over 250 female wrestlers in the state, in a sport that is one of the fastest growing in high school athletics for girls. 

Those numbers pushed the NCHSAA to approve a one-year trial for a women's wrestling invitational, the first of its kind in the state. The all-female meet is set for this weekend at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds.

"It's a huge first step," said Ed Duncan, Mitchell High School's wrestling coach and co-organizer of the women's invitational. "It's always been an issue that woman normally have to wrestle men, but it's not a choice. It's usually the only option. We felt that having a sanctioned event was the next step to legitimizing girls wrestling as its own sport."

Number of high school female wrestlers in North Carolina  
*NCHSAA began keeping participation numbers in 2015  
Girls Wrestling 2018-19 250
Girls Wrestling in 2017-18 205
Girls Wrestling 2016-17 194
Girls Wrestling 2015-16 177
Glennin Hansen wrestles Abigail Fincher, both members of Relentless Wrestling, the first and only all-women's wrestling club in North Carolina, at Apple Valley Middle School in Hendersonville, Jan. 31, 2019.

Glennin Hansen wrestles Abigail Fincher, both members of Relentless Wrestling, the first and only all-women's wrestling club in North Carolina, at Apple Valley Middle School … Show more 

MATT BURKHARTT, MATT BURKHARTT/MBURKHARTT@CITIZENTIMES.COM

Relentless Wrestling

The shouts of "no boys allowed" echoes off the walls of Apple Valley Middle School during a Wednesday practice for Relentless Wrestling club.

The club was founded in March 2018 and is exclusively a place for female wrestlers to practice.

Apple Valley wrestling coach John Williams started the club because his elementary school aged daughter became interested in wrestling. But it quickly became a safe haven for many high school wrestlers around Western North Carolina.

"It's grown like crazy," Williams said. "I think we had nine girls show up to practice and now we have around 30. Many parents don't want to see their girls have to wrestle boys, and this gives them an opportunity to wrestle someone that has the same muscle mass so they can worry about technique instead of being at a disadvantage."

Wrestling the opposite sex, though, has always been the reality for female high school wrestlers in North Carolina. Thirteen states, including Tennessee and Georgia, have state championships for girls. Only one girls wrestler in N.C. has advanced out of a regional tournament to the state competition.

"It’s primarily a number issue," Williams said. "We've always had girl wrestlers, but it's just been a couple here and there. I think with the takeoff of women's wrestling in the Olympics, there has begun a trickle down affect. Lots of coaches are starting to realize that to grow a sport, you can't leave half the population behind."

Glennin Hansen wrestles Abigail Fincher, both members of Relentless Wrestling, the first and only all-women's wrestling club in North Carolina, at Apple Valley Middle School in Hendersonville, Jan. 31, 2019.

Glennin Hansen wrestles Abigail Fincher, both members of Relentless Wrestling, the first and only all-women's wrestling club in North Carolina, at Apple Valley Middle School … Show more 

Recruiting the next generation

North Henderson freshman Glennin Hansen is the only female wrestler on the Knights' team this season. 

Her older brother, Garrett Hansen, is a senior on the team. Her father also wrestled in college.

"They didn't want me to wrestle at first," said Hansen, a member of Relentless Wrestling. "But once I started doing it, my dad noticed how good I was, and he really started working with me."

Hansen wrestles on junior varsity and has finished in the top three in two meets this season against the boys. Those wins produced two black eyes and a hurt shoulder, but Hansen understands it's a rough sport and wants her success to clear the path for more girls to join the sport.

She'll wrestle at the women's invitational in the 106-pound weight class.

Thirteen of the 85 female wrestlers at this weekend's meet will be from WNC high schools, including North Henderson, West Henderson, Rosman, Madison, Mitchell, East Henderson, Pisgah and Polk County. Ten of the wrestlers are underclassmen. 

WNC wrestlers attending 2019 women's invitational
*85 wrestlers signed up for the invitational
Name School Grade Wt. Class
Tori Strickland Polk County 9 106
Glennin Hansen North Henderson 9 106
Harley Ramsey Madison 9 106
Mickey Allen West Henderson 9 113
Rachel Windoser Madison 9 113
Marissa Connelly West Henderson 11 120
Destiney Cairnes West Henderson N/A 126
Jayce King East Henderson 12 126
Autumn Motes North Henderson 9 132
Willow Chance Rosman 10 138
Tempest Chapman Pisgah 9 138
Angel West Mitchell 10 145
Ashley Boggess Pisgah 9 160-70

Hansen started wrestling last year as an eighth grader at Apple Valley. She said at the time there were two girls on the team. This year, there are five.

"I'd love to see more and more girls come out," Hansen said. "I feel like maybe I can be an inspiration."

West Henderson freshman Michaiah Allen jokingly said she was tricked into picking up wrestling.

One day after school, Allen was dragged to the Relentless Wrestling club by a friend. She went as moral support. 

"I got there and the coaches told me to start running," Allen said, laughing. "I just decided to go for it."

The experience pushed Allen to join the West Henderson wrestling team.

"The thing I enjoy the most is the thrill and excitement of something new," Allen said. "Wrestling is also good for self-defense, especially for girls our age. And it's a sport that I think a lot of girls would like that thought they'd never have a sport they'd fit into."

Allen said she doesn't always mind wrestling the boys. She likes the challenge.

"When you're getting slammed into the mat, it's kind of hard to think about gender," she said.

North Henderson senior Joshua Feliz was one of the top wrestlers in WNC this year. He's competed against females in his four-year career during matches and practices.

He said he's excited to see the growth of girls wrestling.

"We've always seen girls as equals on the team and they work just as hard as anyone," Feliz said. "They deserve the same type of respect as the guys, and if that means having their own division or team, then I think it's what they should have."

Polk County freshman Tori Strickland wrestlers against her male counterpart during a meet this season.

Polk County freshman Tori Strickland wrestlers against her male counterpart during a meet this season.  
ANDY RHINEHART

A team of their own

The hope for all female wrestlers in the state is that this weekend's invitational will not only bring in larger numbers in the future, but also make way for girls wrestling teams in the future. 

"It's extremely important for us to have our own division," Allen said. "We face a lot of challenges as the only girls on teams with all guys. Sometimes we can't participate because there is no one to wrestle or we don't have the right equipment. We don't get our own locker rooms at tournaments. It's a lot of things girls should not have to deal with in a sport they are good at and love."

NCHSAA commissioner Que Tucker said there are not yet enough female wrestlers to dictate separate teams, but that the numbers are trending in the right direction. 

"At some point, something has to be the first step, and that's what this invitational is," Tucker said. "I think (adding a women's wrestling team) is open for monitoring but we can't offer a separate women's wrestling championships if we don't have women's teams. It's going to be a process."

Williams believes the future of female wrestling in the state will rely heavily on the wrestlers in WNC.

"There is such a rich history of wrestling in this area and an incredible culture around the sport," Williams said. "If we can tap into that from a female perspective, this sport will continue to grow and be able to provide the opportunities for these girls that they deserve."

Some of the members of Relentless Wrestling, the first and only all-women's wrestling club in North Carolina, roll up a mat at the end of practice at Apple Valley Middle School in Hendersonville, Jan. 31, 2019.

Some of the members of Relentless Wrestling, the first and only all-women's wrestling club in North Carolina, roll up a mat at the end of … Show more 

Originally Published 4:34 p.m. MST Jan. 31, 2019

Updated 44 minutes ago

Baylor, Cleveland Among Favorites At State Duals

Signal Mountain Wanting To Improve On Last Year's Runner-Up Finish In A-AA

Thursday, January 31, 2019 - by John Hunt

It’s no secret that teams from Hamilton and Bradley Counties have dominated the high school wrestling scene for a long, long time and that fact will most likely continue this weekend when teams from Tennessee gather in Franklin at the Williamson County Agricultural Expo Center for the annual State Duals tournament.

Cleveland, Bradley, Baylor and McCallie have probably won more state titles than all others combined and those four will be in the running when the championship hardware is passed out Saturday night.

This area had three teams in the finals last year with the Cleveland Blue Raiders being the only one to emerge victorious.  Signal Mountain and Baylor were both second a year ago, but are among the favorites to win it all this weekend.

Baylor is the top-ranked team in Tennessee with a perfect 16-0 record.  Cleveland is a close second with a mark of 31-1, the Blue Raiders only loss coming against Baylor in the finals of the Al Miller Cleveland Duals in early December.

Defending A-AA Duals champ Gibbs didn’t make the field this year, so Signal Mountain has been tabbed as the top-seeded team in that division.

Throw in teams from Hixson and Chattanooga Christian and this area will have seven teams in action starting late Friday afternoon.

Take away Baylor’s match with Cleveland and the Blue Raiders haven’t really been challenged this season.  Cleveland’s quest for a repeat begins with a match with Sevier County.  The Bradley Bears will face Knoxville Halls in its opening match.

Baylor will face Brentwood Academy while McCallie will take on Memphis University School.  CCS is making its first trip to the Duals and will face defending D-II champ Christian Brothers in the opening round.

Signal Mountain opens with Alcoa while Hixson challenges Fairview, a scrappy team that eliminated the Wildcats last winter.

CLEVELAND: There isn’t a weak spot in the lineup for the Blue Raiders.  They have one of the best teams in state history and they’re fun to watch as they’re fundamentally sound.  Add strength and experience to the mix and they shouldn’t have a problem winning it all again.

“We face Sevier County in the first round.  They aren’t very good, but we certainly aren’t overlooking them,” said Cleveland coach Joey Knox earlier in the week.

“We feel pretty good about our team, but we have to be ready to perform.  Facing this kind of pressure is a good thing as it drives you to perform.  We just have to do our job as individuals.  We are relatively healthy with few bumps and bruises, so we’re ready to go,” the second-year head coach added.

BRADLEY: The Bears WERE the team back in the 90s.  They’ve been restored to the glory years, but this has been a challenging season as they’ve slowly worked their way back to being a contender by flying under the radar most of the way.

Coach Ben Smith feels better about his team now than he has all season.  They enter the competition with a record of 23-6.

“Halls has a tradition-rich program and they almost beat us in the first match several years ago.  I haven’t forgotten that and I’m sure they haven’t either.  They’re always tough, but it should be a fun weekend,” Smith explained.

“I like being the underdog and we’ve had that role since we began in November.  I like our draw.  We’ve wrestled a lot of dual meets preparing for this weekend.  Cleveland is without a doubt the team to beat as they’re solid from top to bottom.  They have their share of studs, but they have 14 tough young men who are much better than average.  We’ve love to meet them in the finals on Saturday night,” Smith said later.

SIGNAL MOUNTAIN: The Eagles shocked the state a year ago by making the finals in their first trip to Franklin.  Coach Joe Jellison just wants his team to prove last year’s success wasn’t a fluke.

The 21-4 Eagles face Alcoa in the opening round.

“We feel like it’s anybody’s tournament to win.  If the chips fall in the right place, we have a shot, but it’s just a matter of how bad you want it at this point in the season,” said Jellison during a phone conversation Wednesday afternoon.

“We feel like we can make another good run.  Our goal is to win big and lose small.  It will be a cat and mouse game in spots, but the coin toss is always important.  I don’t get real carried away with seeds as it’s all about match-ups.  We need to get pins at every opportunity and lose by decisions in spots where we lose.

“We don’t have any real superstars, but we do have a bunch of kids who love to wrestle.  I feel like we have a chance to win it all,” the soft-spoken coach added.

HIXSON: The Wildcats are another team who have been flying under the radar, but they’re just as capable as anyone of battling for the top prize.

“We’re ready for it to get here as we’re tired of thinking about it,” said Hixson coach Garrick Hall.

“Fairview is the team that put us out last year, so hopefully, that will be motivation for us to wrestle like we’re capable.  You just never know what will happen as we’re dealing with teenagers.  We just have to get pins and stay off our back.

“We’re healthy for the most part, but we’re not overlooking anyone.  We’re not loaded like we have been in the past, but right now, we’re focused on Fairview.  It should be an interesting weekend,” Hall concluded.

BAYLOR: The Red Raiders lost to Christian Brothers in the championship match a year ago, but those two teams haven’t met since and Baylor hasn't lost a dual meet since.  Coming in at 16-0, Baylor, like Cleveland, hasn’t had many close matches, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be one or two nail-biters this weekend.

“I think we’re as ready as we’ll ever be.  Based on what we’ve done this season, I guess we’re the favored team.  Christian Brothers is the defending champ and they’re the team to beat until someone knocks them off,” veteran coach Ben Nelson assessed.

“There are four teams in our division pretty evenly matched that could win, including Christian Brothers, Father Ryan, McCallie and us.  We’ve been pretty gritty all year.  If we can keep doing that and not give up a bunch of bonus points, we should be competitive. 

“Individual matches play a big role in a tournament like this, but we’ll just strap on the headgears and see what happens,” Nelson added.

McCALLIE: The Blue Tornado are like Hixson and Bradley in that they’re not the favorite going in, but they’re always capable of pulling off a surprise as they are stronger now than they have been all season.

“We haven’t really seen MUS, but if all goes well, I’m betting we’ll get Christian Brothers in the second round,” said McCallie coach Jake Yost.

“We’re about to have everyone back, so we hope to win a few matches while we’re there.  We’ve had a good week of practice and we’re just hoping to correct a few small mistakes we’ve been making.  Baylor is on the other side of the bracket, so that’s a good thing,” Yost added.

CHATTANOOGA CHRISTIAN: Coach Josh Craft’s Chargers perhaps face the toughest challenge as they have to take on the Purple Wave in their first match.  That fact hasn’t fazed Craft in the least.

“We were fourth in our region and we need a challenge like that.  This is just another match, but this is where we want to be at this time in the season.  We can’t think too much about the other team as we just need to do what we do best,” Craft said.

“We just want to be on the same page Friday afternoon.  Christian Brothers is the top-seed on our side of the bracket, so they aren’t shabby as they always have a solid lineup.  There’s no reason for us to hold anything back.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

“We just have to battle hard the entire time and give it our best shot.  It should be a great experience,” Craft said, his team 14-6 going into Friday’s opening round.

FIRST ROUND PAIRINGS FOR FRIDAY

CLASS A-AA: Signal Mountain vs. Alcoa; Nolensville vs. Greeneville; Greenbrier vs. Pigeon Forge; Hixson vs. Fairview.

CLASS AAA: Cleveland vs. Sevier Co.; Centennial vs. Houston; Blackman vs. Tennessee High; Heritage vs. Beech; Wilson Central vs. Independence; Knoxville Halls vs. Bradley; Arlington vs. Maryville; Tullahoma vs. Science Hill.

DIVISION II: Baylor vs. Brentwood Academy; Montgomery Bell Academy vs. Father Ryan; McCallie vs. Memphis University School; Chattanooga Christian vs. Christian Brothers.

(Email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

Three Blount County teams set for state wrestling tournament

WRESTLING: Heritage's Nathan Hollman and Bradley Central's Carson Parker

Heritage’s Nathan Hollman and Bradley Central’s Carson Parker in their 138 pound semifinal match won by Hollman on Jan. 5 at Maryville High School.

• Scott Keller | The Daily Times

Wrestling: Alcoa vs. Maryville

Alcoa’s William Carter (top) pinned Maryville’s Colby Sinclair in the second period of their 170-pound bout during the regular season at Maryville.

• Jeff Weaver | Special to the Daily Times

Don’t expect to recognize Jerry Teaster at first glance between today and Saturday. The Heritage wrestling coach is supposed to be sporting a new hair color.

He has his Mountaineer wrestlers to thank for that.

Teaster has built a regional power at the Class AAA level. Heritage had qualified for the state dual championships eight years in a row entering this season, but the chances of that streak ending were higher than usual since he had to replace nine starters.

The Mountaineers did better than qualifying for state. They won the regional title.

Heritage will join Alcoa and Maryville at the state tournament this weekend in Franklin. The three teams will begin competition on Friday afternoon at the Williamson County Expo Center.

Teaster is to have his hair dyed blond because that’s the promise he made to his team before the season began if it extended achieved a state tournament berth for the ninth consecutive season.

“It was just some motivation for the kids to get me to do something I don’t want to do,” Teaster said. “Just the fact they were so young to give them some motivation, see what they could do and see how they could pull together. They did it.”

Heritage will open the 16-team Class AAA competition against Beech at 6 p.m. Friday. Maryville, which is in the state tournament for the 13th time overall and the second time in three years, is in the opposite half of the bracket. The Rebels will face Arlington in the first round at 6 p.m.

Alcoa is making its sixth consecutive appearance in the Class A-AA field. The Tornadoes will face Signal Mountain in the first round at 4 p.m.

Like Heritage, Alcoa has faced adversity this season. In the Tornadoes’ case, however, it was unexpected.

They expected to field a strong team, but coach Brian Gossett said several returning wrestlers who likely would have been starters chose to leave the team before the season. The Tornadoes bumped up younger kids who have made significant strides throughout the season.

They reached a good enough level by the regional championships to help Alcoa win the title handily.

Gossett said he noticed his team might be able to reach this point at a regular season competition that included several of the teams the Tornadoes would face at the regional tournament.

Though the Tornadoes have qualified for state six years in a row, they are looking to get back to the top three for the first time since 2016 when they finished third for a second consecutive season. Alcoa has won one match in the last two seasons combined.

“You really just want to make the best of your opportunity,” Gossett said. “You’re one of the last eight teams involved in it. You want to take advantage of the opportunity and use it as a way to be on the path to be your best at the end.”

Because of the massive turnover, Heritage took a while to show signs of strength, too.

Teaster said he noticed the Mountaineers take a significant step in the right direction at a tournament hosted by Science Hill in early January. He said he saw the young wrestlers start to push through in spots they didn’t before Christmas.

Most importantly, he said, he saw the Mountaineers bring ‘that family and brotherhood back together that we were missing.’

Heritage’s best finish at the state tournament was fourth place in 2013. Last season it won advanced to the semifinals before losing its last two matches to tie for fifth.

Teaster said he doesn’t expect the Mountaineers to contend for a title this season, but he expects them to be in position to make some noise that could set them up for a stronger run when the young group matures in future years.

“There’s no pressure,” Teaster said. “They have set the tone. They have exceeded all the expectations by getting back to the state tournament. They ought to feel free inside to just wrestle and keep that attitude. Everybody has something to lose but us.”

TSSAA wrestling championships

When: Friday and Saturday

Where: Williamson County Expo Center

Local teams: Alcoa, Heritage, Maryville

Friday schedule

Class A-AA

4 p.m.;Alcoa vs. Signal Mountain

Class AAA

6 p.m.;Heritage vs. Beech

6 p.m.;Maryville vs. Arlington

THS begins state duals today

The Tennessee High Vikings will compete in the TSSAA Class AAA state wrestling duals for the fourth time in five years.

Head coach Tim Marshall’s team is 18-8 and faces Blackman (24-5) today at 6 p.m. – 5 p.m. Central Time – at the Williams County Ag Expo Center in Franklin, Tennessee, in a first-round match.

THS was Region 1-AAA runner-up this season to Science Hill (21-6), which faces Tullahoma (14-6) in its first-round match.

The Vikings placed third in the 2016 state duals and had a fourth-place finish at the event in 2017.

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/local-briefs-church-steps-down-as-football-coach-at-hurley/article_fc26581a-25d2-11e9-823e-07fa3c60cf2d.html

Edited by Sommers

Thank you Mr Hunt...

Baylor-McCallie Advance To Duals Final In D-II

Cleveland, Bradley Still Battling In AAA; Signal Mountain Shocked In Semis

Friday, February 1, 2019 - by John Hunt

FRANKLIN, Tenn. – The first day of the TSSAA State Duals wrestling tournament is in the books, but what an exciting first day it was.

Baylor and Cleveland both advanced as expected, but the Red Raiders had a tougher challenge in the second round than did the Blue Raiders as Baylor remaining unbeaten at 18-0 with a stirring 30-28 win over Father Ryan after whipping Brentwood Academy by a 72-6 final in the opener.

Cleveland, on the other hand, wasn’t challenged at all as they crushed Sevier County by a 74-3 final in the opening match before thumping Centennial by a 51-15 in the quarterfinals.  Cleveland will meet Blackman in the AAA semis on Saturday afternoon.

While Baylor and Cleveland were predictably doing what was expected, that wasn’t the case for other Chattanooga-area teams.

There was good news for the Bradley Bears as they advanced to the AAA semis with a 38-30 win over Wilson Central.  The Bears earned that match with a 50-26 victory over Knoxville Halls.

The news wasn’t so good for Signal Mountain, Hixson and Chattanooga Christian.

Signal Mountain, the A-AA runner-up a year ago, breezed to a 51-29 victory over Alcoa in the quarterfinals, but the Eagles couldn’t maintain that momentum in a 46-18 loss to Nolensville in the semis.

Hixson got pinned in its final match of the day to drop a 39-34 heartbreaker to Fairview, the same team that eliminated the Wildcats a year ago. 

CCS got a first-hand experience of what wrestling on the bigger scale involves and it wasn’t pretty as defending D-II state champ Christian Brothers posted a 75-0 shutout.

It will be a Baylor-McCallie battle for the Division II title.  The Red Raiders have won the previous two matches, but who’s to say what will happen in the finals?

“It will be an all-Chattanooga final and that hasn’t happened in a while,” said Baylor coach Ben Nelson after the match with Father Ryan ended.

“We’ve faced adversity all year, but we had a bunch of guys step up again and that was the real deal tonight.  I can’t say enough about Michael Tisdale,  our eighth grader at 126, who got a win against a more experienced wrestler.  That was huge.  And I’m so proud of Matthew Smith at 285.  He got pinned by that kid two weeks ago and really battled tonight to only lose 8-5.

“I said a few days ago I felt like any one of four teams could win it.  We’re just glad to be one of the final two.  I know that McCallie will be bumping some people around, so we just have to be ready, no matter who they throw out there.  We’re just happy to be here and we’ll see what happens Saturday night,” Nelson concluded.

McCallie coach Jake Yost thought that his team winning the toss got things off in the right direction from the start.  The Blue Tornado built a huge lead before forfeiting the final four weights.

“We had to do some bumping around to get the matchups we wanted, but we won the coin toss and that helped,” Yost explained.

“We finally have everyone back and it paid off tonight.  We scored a lot of bonus points in the lower weights and that helped too, but we’d love another shot at Baylor,” he concluded while the Baylor-Father Ryan was still ongoing.

It was just another day at the office for Cleveland coach Joey Knox and his Blue Raiders.  As has been the case most of the season, they advanced with hardly a challenge.

“We did alright,” Knox said matter of factly after his team was finished for the day.

“I was a little nervous before the first match because I put a bunch of JV guys out there, but they did just fine.  They work just as hard as everyone and deserve a shot in the limelight.

“We have to be ready to go tomorrow.  We have a full lineup with everyone healthy.  What more can I ask this time of year?” he nodded.

There were a lot of happy coaches present Friday night, but none any more excited than Bradley’s Ben Smith.  His Bears have taken more than their share of lumps, but have continued to work hard.  They passed a huge test against Wilson Central and are just one win away from another berth in the finals.

“Wow,” Smith began after his team pulled off its biggest win of the year against the Wildcats.

“I felt deep in my heart that we had the ability to beat them.  I wasn’t real sure that we would, so I was a little nervous.  We tried to put emphasis on the first score and applying pressure on top.  Getting wins from Gavin Hughes at 132 and Seth Gerena at 160 was huge as both had gotten beat pretty good in our first match.

“I told these kids that this match had to matter and it did.  Now we get to face Science Hill, a team we beat, but one who lost to a team we lost to,” Smith said thinking outloud.

Defending A-AA champ Gibbs didn’t qualify, so defending runner-up Signal Mountain was bumped up into the top spot.  The Eagles looked like world beaters in their match against  Alcoa as they built a 51-0 lead before forfeiting the final five matches.

They didn’t have that same fortune in the second round.

“We got off to a bad start and never recovered,” said Signal Mountain coach Joe Jellison.

“Our lighter weights are the firepower of our team and we simply weren’t able to get any momentum going.  Nolensville is a tough team, but the chips just didn’t fall our way.  We just didn’t execute where we were supposed to, but we’ll come back and see what happens tomorrow.

“The best team normally wins, but the toughest team is the one who finishes third,” he added.

Hixson coach Garrick Hall had been preaching all season about getting another shot at Fairview, the team that eliminated the Wildcats here a year ago.  They got a shot at redemption, but simply couldn’t pull the trigger when the match was on the line.

“All I can say is that Fairview did what they had to do to win the match.  We didn’t get pins in spots where we needed to, but we’ll find out what we’re made of tomorrow morning.  We’ll see if we’re capable of battling back on Saturday,” Hall said later.

Chattanooga Christian was the only team to get blanked, but coach Josh Craft was upbeat and saw it as a great learning experience for his up-and-coming Chargers.

“We may have gotten whipped, but nobody laid down.  We were clearly outmatched as Christian Brothers came out hammering.  We didn’t wrestle our best.  I knew we didn’t have much chance against a team like that, but it was good for us to get that experience,” he added.

Consolation matches begin at 9 a.m. (CST) while the championship finals for all divisions will be contested at 5:30 on mats side-by-side-by-side.

Gibbs, Cleveland and Christian Brothers are the defending champs for their respective divisions.

(email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

Here's something building in the tricities and growing our great sport...

From the citizen Tribune in the Tri-Cities area...

Tennessee Wrestling Academy thriving in its fifth year

From Staff Reports

Feb 1, 2019

The Tennessee Wrestling Academy, headquartered in Morristown, is now in its fifth year of operation and is coached by first-year coach Tony DeAngelo. TNWA provides an opportunity for young men and women to build character and values through the sport of wrestling.

Tennessee Wrestling Academy is a premier wrestling academy located in Morristown. TNWA provides an opportunity for young men and women to build character and values through the sport of wrestling.

TNWA’s mission is to assist them in reaching their highest potential in wrestling and in life. TNWA believes that the sport of wrestling can provide many lessons in life and build character among its athletes. It can instill values and principals such as discipline, leadership, accountability, compassion and contribution as well as many others.

At TNWA, their goal is not only to build the nation’s best wrestlers but the nation’s best people as well. They do this by providing a fun and positive environment for their athletes to train in that challenges them both physically and mentally.

In an effort to grow the sport of wrestling, the Tennessee Wrestling Academy provides first-year wrestlers the opportunity to train and learn the sport for free within the beginner program which meets twice a week. It also features an advanced program that currently holds some of Tennessee’s best young men and women competing on the high school, middle school and elementary school levels.

On staff at TNWA are some of the best coaches the state has to offer. Head coach Tony DeAngelo spent five years competing and coaching on a Division I level at West Virginia where he was a team captain and held a coaching position on staff after receiving his degree in Athletic Coaching, Sport Psychology and Communications.

During his prep career, DeAngelo was a two-time North Carolina state champion, three-time High School All-American and a High School national champion.

Assisting DeAngelo is Jason Brew, a former Michigan high school standout who went on to be a two-time NCAA D-III All-American and national finalist. After Brew graduated from Olivet College, he went on to coach at Northern Ohio University and Wabash College.

Rounding out the staff at TNWA are two key members. Director Keith Ivy, who started a club in Morristown more than five years ago, has significantly made an impact within the wrestling community by providing an opportunity for anyone in the area interested in getting started in the sport. He continues to lead the club in all aspects of operations and facilitates in the management of the programs. Also playing a key role is Stan Eversole. Eversole handles all social media and community outreach aspects of the program.

For more information on getting started, follow the Tennessee Wrestling Academy’s Facebook page and visit their website at tnwrestling.com, or contact them at tnwrestlingacademy@gmail.com.

logo-compact.svg

Pigeon Forge wins fourth wrestling state dual over finals newcomer Nolensville

TOM KREAGER | NASHVILLE TENNESSEAN
8:19 p.m. CST Feb. 2, 2019 

Pigeon Forge wins Class A/AA state duals over Nolensville

Pigeon Forge wins Class A/AA state duals over Nolensville
Pigeon Forge defeated Nolensville 59-18 to win the Class A/AA state duals.
TOM KREAGER

FRANKLIN — Pigeon Forge got back to winning wrestling championships Saturday a year after failing to qualify for the TSSAA state duals.

The East Tennessee perennial wrestling power made up for it, winning the program's fourth Class A/AA championship over Nolensville 59-18. The Tigers also have four state runners-up finishes and a fourth-place finish.

"I felt like if we got through Gibbs (in the region) we had the capabilities of doing what we just did," Pigeon Forge coach Greg Foreman said. 

Pigeon Forge won the TSSAA Class A/AA state duals, beating Nolensville 59-18 in the championship

Pigeon Forge won the TSSAA Class A/AA state duals, beating Nolensville 59-18 in the championship  
TOM KREAGER / THE TENNESSEAN

Pigeon Forge won the duals with victories over three Nashville area programs, beating Greenbrier 45-27, Fairview 46-33 and then Nolensville in the final.

A year ago Gibbs beat Pigeon Forge in last year's region championship and went on to win the state duals. The score of the region championship remained in the Pigeon Forge locker room this season, serving as a reminder.

Andrew Baiamonte, a senior wrestling at 152 pounds, clinched the title when he beat Gavin Channell by technical fall 20-5. Baiamonte has witnessed the full spectrum.

Baiamonte was a freshman in 2016 when Pigeon Forge finished state runner-up. The next year the team won it before not qualifying for state in 2018.

"It feels awesome to end on a high note," Baiamonte said. "We had won one, lost one and didn't even make it one year.

"I knew how every one felt like. I didn't want to get another second place."

Nolensville finished second in the TSSAA Class A/AA state duals, falling to Pigeon Forge 59-18.

Nolensville finished second in the TSSAA Class A/AA state duals, falling to Pigeon Forge 59-18.  
TOM KREAGER / THE TENNESSEAN

The runner-up came in Nolensville's fourth year, which include the first seniors in the school. It is the first TSSAA state runner-up team trophy in any sport.

"We have three seniors," Nolensville coach Josh Peck said. "To be able to come this far and have them lead us here is a wonderful experience. 

"It shows the hard work they've put in it. To do it this quickly, we're building something special I hope."

Reach Tom Kreager at 615-259-8089 or tkreager@tennessean.com and on Twitter @Kreager.

8:19 p.m. CST Feb. 2, 2019

Sunday, February 3, 2019  
State Duals Wrestling Individual Match Results

Matches Held On Saturday In Franklin At Williamson Co. Agr. Expo Park

Saturday, February 2, 2019

AAA CHAMPIONSHIP SEMIFINALS

CLEVELAND 51, BLACKMAN 24

285 – Titus Swafford (Clev) won by forfeit;

106 – Trae McDaniel (Clev) pinned Adam Tibitoski, 3:53;

113 – Jackson Bradford (Clev) won by technical fall over Alex Rose, 3:42;

120 – Burns Meagher (Clev) major dec. Liam Elam, 13-4;

126 – Garrett Stevenson (Clev) pinned Tyler Pierce, 3:28;

132 – Logan Whiteside (Clev) pinned Austin Marlatt, :41;

138 – Cael Laxton (Clev) pinned Evan Smart, 1:27;

145 – Grant Lundy (Clev) pinned Aaron Fisher, 1:26;

152 – Austin Sweeney (Clev) pinned Jalen Brown, 5:30;

160 – Anthony Gomez (B) dec. Zach Brezna, 6-3;

170 – Landon Fowler (B) pinned Ashton Davis, 1:58;

182 – Brooks Sacharczyk (B) dec. Dylan Jones, 8-4;

195 – Jaylan Hughes (B) won by forfeit;

220 – Bowdy Boyce (B) won by forfeit.

BRADLEY 33, SCIENCE HILL 32

285 – Austin McClure (Brad) dec. Jack Tevis, 5-2;

106 – Ethan Wilson (Brad) pinned Hayden Bodo, 2:22;

113 – Glen O’Daniel (Brad) dec. Javelle Gillespie, 3-1 in overtime;

120 – Wesley Devaney (Brad) pinned James Miller, 4:41;

126 – Daniel Mroz (Brad) dec. Braxton Mann, 4-3;

132 – Tyler Seeley (SH) pinned Gavin Hughes, 1:50;

138 – Sebastian Hernandez (Brad) dec. Jahkye Aples, 7-2;

145 – Joseph Frye (SH) pinned Alex Dees, 2:41;

152 – Jared Harter (SH) pinned Seth Gerena, :39;

160 – Blake Blevins (SH) pinned Anthony Lynn, 1:33;

170 – Chase Diehl (SH) dec. Larry Johnson, 10-4;

182 – William Mooney (SH) pinned Tyrone McDonald, 2:31;

195 – D.J. Gibson (Brad) pinned Karter Richmond, :39;

220 – Gavin Sewell (Brad) dec. William Rogers, 7-4.

A-AA CONSOLATION FINAL FOR THIRD PLACE

GREENEVILLE 36, HIXSON 34

113 – Caleb Miller (H) major dec. Malik Harris, 8-0;

120 – Tim Carpenter (G) dec. Trevor Lewis, 6-3;

126 – Kodiak Cannedy (G) pinned Charles Burton, 3:48;

132 – Jeremiah Shackleford (H) pinned Hunter Johnson, 1:06;

138 – Rylie Hart (H) dec. Morgan Montgomery, 11-10 in overtime;

145 – Jordan Lewis (H) pinned Max Morelock, :51;

152 – Bransen O’Dell (G) dec. Kaleb Mayes, 8-4;

160 – Robert Freeman (G) pinned Marcus Hester, 4:33;

170 – Kobie Smith (H) dec. Isaac Haynie, 3-1;

182 – Trent Knight (G) won by forfeit;

195 – Michael Moore (G) pinned Hector Nunez, 3:09;

220 – Parrish Pacetti (H) pinned George Duncan, 3:30;

285 – Devotis McCurdy (H) pinned Cameron Hensley, :09;

106 – Josh Wallin (G) pinned Conner Leffew, 4:25.

A-AA CONSOLATION QUARTERFINALS

HIXSON 45, GREENBRIER 36

285 – Devotis McCurdy (H) won by forfeit;

106 – Conner Leffew (H) pinned Wesley Bryant, 2:32;

113 – Caleb Miller (H) pinned Jayden Williams, 4:50;

120 – Trevor Lewis (H) dec. Cole McCartney, 8-2;

126 – Charles Burton (H) pinned Jeff Bottoms, 3:34;

132 – Nathan Ford (G) pinned Jeremiah Shackleford, 1:28;

138 – Rylie Hart (H) pinned Nick Payne, 2:41;

145 – Jordan Lewis (H) pinned Brady Holt, :43;

152 – Kaleb Mayes (H) pinned Ryan Herndon, 4:53;

160 – Tucker Tatum (G) pinned Christopher Rogers, 3:13;

170 – Silas Page (G) won by forfeit;

182 – Gavin Ledbetter (G) won by forfeit;

195 – Riley Putman (G) won by forfeit;

220 – James Burns (G) won by forfeit.

A-AA CONSOLATION SEMIFINAL

HIXSON 32, SIGNAL MOUNTAIN 27

106 – Caleb Uhorchuk (SM) dec. Conner Leffew, 7-4;

113 – Caleb Miller (H) major dec. Noah Shriner, 9-1;

120 – Daniel Uhorchuk (SM) pinned Trevor Lewis, 2:37;

126 – Charles Burton (H) dec. Kale Albritton, 5-2;

132 – Jeremiah Shackleford (H) dec. Sam Wickizer, 9-2;

138 – Rylie Hart (H) dec. Kevin Muschel, 10-9;

145 – Jordan Lewis (H) major dec. Oliver Goodgame, 11-3;

152 – Kaleb Mayes (H) dec. Clay Gallant, 6-1;

160 – Preston Worley (SM) pinned Marcus Hester, 1:54;

170 – Jake Woodlief (SM) dec. Kobie Smith, 8-6 in overtime;

182 – Eli Buttram (SM) dec. Logan Woodall, 8-4;

195 – Hector Hernandez (H) pinned Turner Eades, 1:50;

220 – Parrish Pacetti (H) pinned Mason Hilke, 4:38;

285 – Pearson Lindsay (SM) won by forfeit.

DIVISION II CONSOLATION QUARTERFINALS

MEMPHIS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL 42, CHATTANOOGA CHRISTIAN 41

285 – Matthew Rhodes (MUS) pinned Sawyer White, :42;

106 – Adam Jolly (CCS) won by technical fall over Dutch Hansen, 4:00;

113 – Ian McGehee (MUS) pinned Lane Travis, 1:06;

120 – Hart Gowen (MUS) pinned Evan Rominger, 3:10;

126 – Owen Fussell (MUS) pinned Ryan Duble, :20;

132 – Josh Elliott (CCS) pinned Hunter Barnes, :12;

138 – Torrance Bostick (MUS) pinned Jake Leamon, 1:33;

145 – Christian Howard (MUS) pinned Trevor Scott, 3:50;

152 – George Hutchison (CCS) pinned Jack Ryan, 1:22;

160 – Lachlan Brandt (CCS) pinned Jacob Zamore, :55;

170 – Kaleb Cooper (CCS) pinned Hamen Ranjha, :43;

182 – Adam Truelove (CCS) pinned Andrew Harris, :50;

195 – Griff Wheeler (CCS) pinned Dorian Hopkins, 5:58;

220 – Stephen Christenbury (MUS) pinned Dieudone Hareriman, 4:46.

Edited by Sommers

Science-Hill-logo-jpg.jpg

1 / 1

JCP.jpg
SCIENCE HILL WRESTLING

State wrestling duals:Narrow defeats equate to 'immensely tough day' for 'Toppers

JOHNSON CITY PRESS • FEB 2, 2019 AT 10:20 PM

FRANKLIN—Agonizingly close.

On Saturday at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center, Science Hill came within a whisker of advancing to the finals of the TSSAA Class AAA state wrestling duals for the second year in a row. From there came another slim defeat, preventing the Hilltoppers from achieving a top-four finish.

“Our kids wrestled hard today,” said Hilltoppers coach Jimmy Miller. “We wrestled hard, we wrestled tough and we just came up short. Some of the matches didn’t end up the way we wanted them to and, long story short, we’re coming home with nothing.”

The Hilltoppers, who defeated Tullahoma and Arlington on Friday, fell 33-32 to Bradley Central in Saturday’s semifinals. Science Hill then moved into the consolation semifinals and wound up on the short end of a 37-35 match with Centennial.

“A point away from back-to-back state finals, that’s tremendous,” Miller said. “In the same aspect, it’s a super-tough loss to a team that had beaten us early in year. We lost a good match to Bradley early in January by 10 points. To make that difference up and to be there in the end, it’s huge for our kids. They realize how close they were and we just didn’t bounce back very well in that consolation semifinal match. I just couldn’t get them ready for the next match.”

Tyler Seeley gave Science Hill its first individual win against Bradley Central, pinning Gavin Hughes in 1:50 in the 132-pound weight class.

The Hilltoppers dominated the middle weights as Joseph Frye scored a pinfall in 2:41 at 145 and Jared Harter needed just 39 seconds to register a pin at 152.

Blake Blevins (160) and Chase Diehl (170) kept the momentum going. Blevins quickly scored a third straight pin (1:33 mark) and Diehl followed with a 10-4 decision over Larry Johnson to hand Science Hill its first lead at 26-24.

William Mooney extended the lead with a pin in 2:31 in his 182 match. After Bradley Central won at 195, it set the stage for a final match at 220 to decide it all. Gavin Sewell pulled out a tough 7-4 decision over William Rogers for the three points needed by the Bears.

Science Hill victories against Centennial included 19-4 technical falls by Braxton Mann (126) and Frye. Harter (160) prevailed by pinfall in 1:47, Rogers did the same in 3:16, Diehl captured a 21-10 majority decision and Jack Tevis (285) got the job done with a 5-1 decision. Javelle Gillespie added a win by forfeit at 113.

After graduating 13 seniors from last season’s state runner-up squad, Science Hill certainly raised eyebrows with this year’s achievements.

“Coming off a state runner-up performance, we knew we would be back against the wall,” Miller said. “We still had a lot of good kids and that showed today. To come up a point short of the state finals after graduating 13 seniors is a huge accomplishment for our kids. Unfortunately, that’s not what they wanted. They did not want to come up a point short, but we did, unfortunately. Then we dropped down to the consolation bracket and just didn’t bounce back.

“It’s a tough day for us, an immensely tough day for us — but we’re going to do what we do. We’re going to come back on Monday and get our butts to work, try to get better and try to put together the best (individual) regional tournament we can next week in Jefferson County. We’ll be back in two weeks (for the state individuals) and see what happens. I feel for my kids. It’s heart-wrenching. To be so close when no one gave us a shot … no one gave us a chance down here.”

Upending Arlington 38-34 on Friday was particularly impressive for the Hilltoppers.

“We beat a great team,” Miller said. “We had a great night.”

Science Hill’s coach summed up Saturday’s results as one of “life’s lessons.” The ’Toppers finished with a 23-8 mark.

“The kids are hurting, the coaching staff is hurting,” Miller said. “I feel like we put ourselves in the best position we could. We just didn’t come out on top today, that’s all there is to it.

“We have to learn how to respond ... and we will. We’ll respond, we’ll come back on Monday and we’ll be ready to go. We’ll bounce back and have a great week of practice.”

Cleveland repeated as state champion, rolling past Bradley Central 56-9. Wilson Central downed Centennial 51-25 for third place.

Wilson post

PREP WRESTLING -- WCHS places 3rd in TSSAA duals

Staff reports

Feb 6, 2019 Updated 14 hrs 

FRANKLIN -- Wilson Central's wrestling team ended the dual season with a record of 37-5 and a third place finish in the TSSAA duals Feb. 2.

FRANKLIN -- Wilson Central’s 285, Michael Kramer (on top) beat Arlington’s Jonathan Worley.

Phil Stauder

FRANKLIN -- Wilson Centrals Steven Fisak (right) attempts to control Independence’s Presley Dittmer.

Phil Stauder

Wildcats roar through consolation bracket -
FRANKLIN -- Wilson Central's wrestling team shook off a disappointing loss and battled back through the consolation bracket to earn third place honors in the TSSAA Dual Championships Saturday at the Williamson County Ag. Exhibition Center.

The Wildcats (37-5) defeated Centennial High 51-25 in the consolation finals.

"We fell short of our original goal," said WCHS head coach John Kramer, "but we came back strong Saturday and ended up third.
"I'm very proud of how our boys fought back after an upsetting loss Friday night."
Wilson Central won four consecutive matches Saturday in order to take third place.

WCHS opened the 16-team team tourney with a 51-26 win over Independence Friday afternoon, then faltered with a 38-30 loss to eventual second place finisher Bradley Central in Friday's second round.
Kramer's team responded with vengeance by reeling off wins over Tennessee High (72-12), Arlington (44-30) and Blackman 45-27 to reach the consolation finals, where they handled Centennial with ease.

Wilson Central 51, Centennial 25
126 Steven Fisak (WC) over Jacob Johnson (CHS) Inj 0:36
132 Alex Ables (CHS) over Thomas Oakley (WC) Fall 3:16
138 Prentice Belcher (WC) over Ethan Harvey (CHS) Dec 5-4
145 Alan Fort (WC) over Leo Gearhert (CHS) Fall 3:40

152 Alex Pergande (WC) over Hunter Wisniowski (CHS) Fall 1:08
160 Levi Stone (WC) over Nicholas Humphries (CHS) Fall 3:47
170 Johnny Kollenbroich (CHS) over Brady Jarvis (WC) Fall 3:55
182 Samari Suddeath (CHS) over Matthew Hills (WC) Maj 11-3
195 Jacob Knight (CHS) by Forfeit

220 Jesse Richardson (WC) over Conner Martin (CHS) Fall 1:27
285 Michael Kramer (WC) over Alexander Steele (CHS) Fall 0:48
106 Michael Mercante (WC) over Alfonso Macias (CHS) Fall 4:47
113 Thomas Borders (WC) over Dylan Ables (CHS) Fall 2:38
120 Grayson McCullough (CHS) over Grant Fetters (WC) Dec 9-3

Next up for local grapplers is the individual regions Friday and Saturday, Feb. 8 and 9 at Hendersonville High School.

Edited by Sommers

INGS

Eight-Science-Hill-athletes-make-their-c

Eight Science Hill athletes participated in National Signing Day. (Bottom) Kasey Bennett, Makenzie Smith, Gracie Duncan, (Top) Chase Diehl, Patrick Brown, Shane Austin, Drew Morrison and Stephen Grant

Jeff Birchfield

1 / 1 Eight Science Hill athletes participated in National Signing Day. (Bottom) Kasey Bennett, Makenzie Smith, Gracie Duncan, (Top) Chase Diehl, Patrick Brown, Shane Austin, Drew Morrison and Stephen Grant

jbirchfield.jpg
SCIENCE HILL ATHLETICS 

Eight Science Hill athletes make their college choices official

JEFF BIRCHFIELD • UPDATED FEB 6, 2019 AT 7:29 PM

Chase Diehl has headlined Science Hill’s wrestling efforts throughout the season.

On Wednesday, the defending state champion in the 160-pound weight class headlined a group of eight Science Hill athletes who made their college choices official on National Signing Day. Others who signed on Wednesday were: girls’ soccer player Gracie Duncan, football players Drew Morrison, Shane Austin and Stephen Grant, softball players Kasey Bennett and Makenzie Smith, and boys’ soccer player Patrick Brown.

Diehl, who will go for his fourth straight Region 1-AAA championship this Saturday, signed with Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville. It comes near the end of his brilliant high school career, in which he compiled a 190-24 record. While wrestling often takes a great individual effort, Diehl’s favorite Science Hill moment came as a team under the leadership of coach Jimmy Miller.

“Winning a state championship was great, but my favorite moment at Science Hill was getting in the (duals team) finals last year,” Diehl said. “To come together and win that match, it was awesome.”

He chose SIUE after meeting the team and felt he wanted to be part of the program. For his collegiate goals, he wants to become a NCAA Division I All-American.

Gracie Duncan

(Southern Virginia women’s soccer)

Duncan, a four-year varsity player, is a two-time, all-conference, all-district and all-region player under coach David Strickland. The talented midfielder made the first team for the state’s Olympic Development Program and traveled with the team to London to compete.

She has played club soccer for 11 years, including two years in the Elite Club National League. She also received the Lady Topper Award from her team.

“My coaches here taught me patience and they really helped me develop my soccer skills,” Duncan said. “When we went to the state last year, that was a great moment. Once I visited Southern Virginia, I liked the school, the environment and atmosphere, but also the academics they offered me.” 

Drew Morrison 

(Carson-Newman football)

Morrison, a first-team all-conference selection, had 1,000 career rushing yards and 13 touchdowns as one of three Science Hill players coached by Stacy Carter who signed Wednesday. He also made 30 career catches and on the defensive side of the ball had 30 tackles and three sacks last season. He is projected to play running back for the Eagels.

“I liked the coaching staff at Carson-Newman and the area was great,” Morrison said. “I just want to get on the field and improve my game and be able to help out Carson-Newman the best I can.” 

Shane Austin

(Carson-Newman football)

Austin, also a first-team all-conference selection, will join Morrison with the Eagles. He made 104 career tackles and had five interceptions. Like Morrison, he was a two-year starter for Science Hill, and is expected to be a defensive back for Carson-Newman.

“I had some really great experiences at Science Hill, especially winning against Bradley Central in the playoffs,” Austin said. “I really liked the coaching staff and atmosphere at Carson-Newman and felt that was where I needed to go.”

Stephen Grant 

(Union College football)

Grant, like his aforementioned teammates earned both one all-conference and one honorable mention all-conference honors. The big offensive lineman was a three-year starter for the Hilltoppers.

“I loved the D-B and Elizabethton games, the playoff games down to the wire — I will never forget those moments,” Grant said. “And my o-line coach Andrew Beck taught me a lot of skills and how to be a better man. Once I visited Union, it was a great school with great facilities and I loved the coaches’ mentality. It’s where I want to be the next four years.”

Kasey Bennett 

(Chattanooga State softball)

Bennett, a four-year starter at shortstop for coach Jerry Higgins, has been an all-conference player for three years and a two-time member of the Johnson City Press Super 22 team. She has a .370 batting average with 22 home runs, 98 RBIs and 129 runs scored.

“I like that Chattanooga State is a two-year program,” Bennett said. “I can see it better to further my education and my softball career. I see the leadership skills and teamwork here at Science Hill that I can put to use at Chattanooga State.”

Makenzie Smith

(Union College softball)

Smith, a four-year starter at left field, has been a two-time all-conference selection. She has a .312 batting average with three home runs, 59 RBIs and 73 runs scored.

“I’ve enjoyed Science Hill and all the activities I’ve participated in like Young Life and all the sporting events,” Smith said. “When I went to Union, it was just like home. I wanted a little distance, but also wanted where I could be pretty close. As soon as I went there, I loved it. ”

Patrick Brown

(University of Pikeville soccer)

Brown played four years for the Hilltoppers as a center back and right back. He also played for club teams with Tri-Cities United and the Johnson City Futbol Club.

“The (Pikeville) coach was really outgoing and he kept e-mailing me,” Brown said. “They really made me feel at home. Science Hill, you always have to work hard academically and on the field, so I will bring that to Pikeville.”

• Like 1

Thank you Chattanoogan and Mr Hunt...

Saturday's Region Wrestling Results

Tournaments Held At McCallie, Ooltewah, Alcoa & Eagleville

Saturday, February 9, 2019

DIVISION II EAST-MIDDLE REGION AT McCALLIE

LEGEND AND FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Baylor (Bay) 241.5; 2. McCallie (McC) 222; 3. Montgomery Bell Academy (MBA) 134.5; 4. Chattanooga Christian (CCS) 78; 5. Christian Academy of Knoxville (CAK) and Knoxville Grace (KG) tied with 60; 7. Notre Dame (ND) 59; 8. Friendship Christian (FC) 55; 9. Boyd-Buchanan (BB) 36; 10. Knoxville Webb (KW) 34; 11. King’s Academy (KA) 8; 12. Donelson Christian (DC) 5.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Jackson Bond (Bay) major dec. Keyveon Roller (CAK), 8-0;

113 – Cade Holloway (ND) dec. Jack Braman (McC), 5-4;

120 – Emory Taylor (McC) major dec. Frannk Perazzini (MBA), 11-2;

126 – Noah Horst (Bay) dec. Christian Morris (McC), 10-8 in overtime;

132 – Garrison Dendy (Bay) dec. Nathan Wysong (McC), 8-3;

138 – Zach Ward (McC) dec. Wyatt Andrews (MBA), 9-3;

145 – Andrew Pace (Bay) pinned Evan Hughes (McC), :28;

152 – Alex Whitworth (McC) pinned Jason Motley (Bay), 2:32;

160 – Gavin Cagle (CAK) dec. Dan McGuire (MBA), 3-2;

170 – Mason Reiniche (Bay) pinned Russell Barry (McC), :53;

182 – Thomas Sell (McC) won by forfeit over Connor Duffy (Bay);

195 – David Harper (Bay) pinned Riley Looper (McC), 2:43;

220 – Dominic Fisher (MBA) major dec. Dieudone Hareriman (CCS), 12-4;

285 – Ryan Jackson (FC) pinned Matthew Smith (Bay), 4:29.

CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Robert Deitch (ND) dec. Ellis Haney (McC), 11-7;

113 – Kade Hartline (Bay) pinned Mac Rusi (MBA), :22;

120 – Ryan Tisdale (Bay) dec. Ben Beaver (KG), 7-5;

126 – Nathan Harris (CAK) dec. Will Higgins (MBA), 8-2;

132 – Josh Elliott (CCS) pinned Adam Garfinkel (MBA), 3:14;

138 – Alexander Coker (BB) dec. Porter Kaufman (Bay), 4-1;

145 – Robby Barnes (MBA) dec. Zack Tieng (KW), 4-3;

152 – Jalen Hagood (ND) pinned Eric Russ (MBA), 3:57;

160 – Barrett Chambers (Bay) pinned Lachlan Brandt (CCS), :57;

170 – Nic Bass (KG) dec. Kaleb Cooper (CCS), 6-4 in overtime;

182 – Kambell Brown (KG) pinned Adam Truelove (CCS), 3:14;

195 – Elijah Ball (FC) pinned Parker Glessner (KG), 2:13;

220 – David Dixon (BB) pinned Brik Boruff (KW), 2:08;

285 – Austin Gentil (McC) pinned Jacob Brigman (ND), 3:50.

REGION 2-A/AA AT ALCOA

LEGEND AND FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Hixson (Hix) 263.5; 2. Alcoa (A) 155; 3. Chattanooga Central (CC) 91; 4. Polk County (PC) 51; 5. Upperman (U) 42; 6. Greenback (G) 38; 7. Brainerd (Bra) and Tyner (Ty) tied with 26; 9. Cumberland County (Cumb) 25; 10. Sale Creek (SC) 19; 11. Livingston Academy (LA) 18.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Conner Leffew (Hix) dec, Dakota Harrison (A), 8-1;

113 – Haiden Dill (CC) major dec. Caleb Miller (Hix), 16-2;

120 – Trevor Lewis (Hix) won by technical fall over Vince Perry (G), 4:04;

126 – Charles Burton (Hix) pinned Jaylen Tyler (A), 1:33;

132 – Jeremiah Shackleford (Hix)pinned Jack Neely (CC), 3:37;

138 – Rylie Hart (Hix) pinned Angel Delgado (Bra), 4:35;

145 – Jordan Lewis (Hix) pinned Ryan Wimbley (A), 5:57;

152 – Anthony Jones (A) dec. Kaleb Mayes (Hix), 7-3;

160 – Marcus Hester (Hix) pinned Ricardo Canasina (Ty), 1:54;

170 – Caleb West (U) dec. Reginald Wadley (CC), 7-3;

182 – Eli Hagy (A) pinned Kevin Swallows (Cumb), 1:19;

195 – Hector Nunez Hernandez (Hix) pinned Aaron Tipton (A), 2:43;

220 – Noah Evans (A) pinned Parrish Pacetti (Hix), 2:28;

285 – Devotis McCurdy (Hix) pinned Justin Kinder (A), 4:35.

106 – Tyler Tolzmann (PC) pinned Brant Bournes (LA), :24;

113 – Chris Rice (Bra) dec. Wyatt Coleman (SC), 6-4;

120 – Joshua Emerson (PC) pinned Ethan Reed (SC), 2:12;

126 – Austin Hamilton (G) pinned Jacob Speights (PC), 3:54;

132 – Winston Carter (G) pinned Dylan Dobbs (U), 1:45;

138 – Jordan Wright (CC) pinned Patrick Lair (U), 3:28;

145 – Justice Dykes (PC) pinned Isaiah DeLorenzo (CC), 2:42;

152 – Jacob Wright (CC) pinned Jaylan Sims (Ty), 1:53;

160 – William Carter (A) pinned Alijah Heyward (CC), 3:43;

170 – Kobie Smith (Hix) pinned James Hollingsworth (PC), 1:16;

182 – Nolan Morris (PC) dec. Logan Woodall (Hix), 7-4;

195 – Cole Sullivan (LA) pinned Tyler Whitcomb (U), 1:38;

220 – Kaleb Penny (SC) dec. Donavyn Walker (CC), 3-2 in overtime;

285 – Jakob Hicks (Cumb) pinned Dalton Winningham (LA), 1:32.

REGION 3-A/AA AT EAGLEVILLE

LEGEND AND FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Nolensville (Nol) 224; 2. Signal Mountain (SM) 185.5; 3. Forrest (F) 172; 4. Whitwell (Whit) 151; 5. Eagleville (Eagle) 93; 6. Red Bank (RB) and Sequatchie Co. (Seq) tied with 67; 8. Watertown (Water) 56; 9. Cascade (C) 55; 10. East Nashville (EN) 46; 11. East Ridge (ER) 29; 12. Howard (How) 9; 13. Tennessee School for the Blind (TSB) 8; 14. Marshall Co. (MC) 18.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Riley Lippincott (Nol) dec. Caleb Uhorchuk (SM), 11-7;

113 – Daniel Uhorchuk (SM) pinned Forest Ozburn (For), :18;

120 – Max Dansereau (Nol) won by forfeit over Gabe Pennington (Eagle);

126 – Kale Albritton (SM) major dec. Jacob Vogelpohl (Nol), 14-2;

132 – Sam Wickizer (SM) dec. Ty Martin (Nol), 8-4;

138 – Jeffrey Gross (For) dec. Kevin Muschel (SM), 3-0;

145 – Gavin Channell (Nol) dec. Will Keener (Seq), 9-4;

152 – Wyatt McLemore (Eagle) major dec. Preston Worley (SM), 12-2;

160 – Wesley McCoy (For) dec. Jake Woodlief (SM), 6-5;

170 – Nick McClendon (For) pinned Mike McWilliams (Nol), 4:52;

182 – Allen Ashworth (Whit) pinned Kwon Park (Eagle), 2:18;

195 – Noah Hill (For) dec. McKinley Wagner (Nol), 10-5;

220 – Wes Miller (Nol) pinned Mason Hilke (SM), 2:28;

285 – Hayden Brammer (Nol) pinned James Headrick (Whit), 1:51.

106 – Braiden Vanderploeg (For) pinned Perrin Clark (ER), 2:54;

113 – Kyle Harper (RB) major dec. Luke Dobson (Whit), 14-3;

120 – Brice Barton (Whit) dec. Noah Shriner (SM), 4-2;

126 – Paxton Albright (Seq) pinned Andrew Green (Water), 4:26;

132 – Griffin Horton (Whit) dec. Aidan Maharrey (RB), 11-4;

138 – Amado Gomez (Whit) pinned Ammon Scott Edwards (Seq), :51;

145 – Jaren Thames (Whit) pinned Carson Blackwell (For), 2:38;

152 – Cole Geeting (For) pinned John King (Whit), 3:24;

160 – Caden Cline (RB) pinned Ivan Miller (EN), 3:36;

170 – Jason Dennis (Eagle) pinned Jacob Roberts (Whit), 4:01;

182 – Sanders Lovvorn (C) pinned Nathan Montpool (Nol), 2:49;

195 – Jamaris Spencer (EN) pinned Donovan Darnell (Eagle), 4:06;

220 – Xion Dixon (C) pinned Alexander Owens (Water), 1:17;

285 – Cole Stevens (RB) pinned Dylan Estes (C), 3:23.

REGION 4-AAA AT OOLTEWAH

LEGEND AND FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Cleveland (Clev) 260.5; 2. Bradley (Brad) 213; 3. Walker Valley (WV) 112; 4. East Hamilton (EH) and Oolteway (O) tied with 75; 6. Soddy Daisy (SD) 66; 7. Rhea Co. (RC) 63; 8. McMinn Co. (MC) 20.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Trae McDaniel (Clev) pinned Ethan Wilson (Brad), 5:59;

113 – Jackson Bradford (Clev) dec. Glen O’Daniel (Brad), 7-1;

120 – Wesley Devaney (Brad) dec. Burns Meagher (Clev), 2-0;

126 – Daniel Mroz (Brad) major dec. Seth Carpenter (EH), 11-0;

132 – Logan Whiteside (Clev) pinned Gavin Hughes (Brad), 1:04;

138 – Cael Laxton (Clev) dec. Sebastian Hernandez (Brad), 5-2;

145 – Grant Lundy (Clev) won by technical fall over Easton Norris (O), 4:36;

152 – Austin Sweeney (Clev) pinned Seth Gerena (Brad), 4:52;

160 – Zach Brezna (Clev) pinned Landon Lewis (SD), 4:28;

170 – Cade Meeks (EH) dec. Ashton Davis (Clev), 12-8;

182 – Dylan Jones (Clev) pinned Tyrone McDonald (Brad), 1:39;

195 – D.J. Gibson (Brad) pinned Jason Brumlow (EH), 5:24;

220 – Wilson Benefield (Clev) dec. Garrett Smith (RC), 3-2 in overtime;

285 – Jadon Langford (WV) pinned Titus Swafford (Clev), 1:06.

106 – Tristan Hight (SD) pinned David Clark (EH), 4:52;

113 – Mario Acevedo (WV) pinned Roman Evans (O), 1:24;

120 – Elijah Vance (EH) major dec. Alex McCord (WV), 11-0;

126 – Garrett Stevenson (Clev) pinned Robby Thomas (O), 4:10;

132 – Gage Boggess (MC) dec. Logan Douglas (RC), 7-0;

138 – Wyatt Stumbo (RC) pinned Justice McClure (O), 1:29;

145 – Ethan West (WV) pinned Parker Falls (Brad), 4:49;

152 – Joey Vecchione (WV) major dec. Joseph Miller (O), 9-0;

160 – Michael Teasley (WV) pinned Austin Lynn (Brad), :57;

170 – Larry Johnson (Brad) dec. Marek Banks (O), 8-1;

182 – Thomas Faires (SD) dec. Jacob Scruggs (RC), 11-5;

195 – Kallum Lowe (WV) won by forfeit over Isaiah Perez (Clev);

220 – Justin Watson (SD) dec. Gavin Sewell (Brad), 5-1;

285 – Kevin Chang (O) dec. Austin McClure (Brad), 3-0.

Baylor Beats McCallie To Win D-II Region Wrestling

Hixson, Cleveland Other Region Champs; Signal Mountain Takes Second

Saturday, February 9, 2019 - by John Hunt
Baylor’s Noah Horst drives against Donaldson’s Grayson Perez at 126 in the quarterfinals.
Baylor’s Noah Horst drives against Donaldson’s Grayson Perez at 126 in the quarterfinals. 
- photo by M.A. Locke

Saturday was an incredibly important day for high school wrestlers in the Chattanooga area as region competition was held in four locations with the all-important state qualifiers for next week’s traditional tournament on the line.

The reigning D-II state duals champion Baylor Red Raiders claimed six individual winners among their 13 state qualifiers as they won the Division II East-Middle Region at McCallie with 241.5 points.

Runner-up McCallie had four champs among a dozen qualifiers to finish the one-day event with 222 points.

Montgomery Bell Academy was third with 134.5 while Chattanooga Christian was fourth with 78.  Christian Academy of Knoxville and Knoxville Grace tied for fifth with 60 points each.

Notre Dame was seventh with 59 points while Boyd-Buchanan was ninth with 36 points.

“I think we had a pretty good day as we did about what we thought we could do,” said Baylor coach Ben Nelson following the last match.

“We advanced 13 of 14 to next week as we’re just trying to keep the momentum going from last week’s state duals win.  Our goal was to stay focused and it paid off,” Nelson added.

“That was just another good team effort,” said Baylor assistant coach Shane Turner.

“We aren’t always super great, but we always fight and that’s what I like about these kids.

“Jason Motley was an unseeded wrestler at 152 who advanced to the finals and Jackson Bond beat a really good kid at 106.  Garrison Dendy is a freshman who beat a good senior at 132, so that was special as well.  We just have to keep it going for one more week,” Turner nodded.

McCallie coach Jake Yost is always looking for ways to do better.  Overall, he was pleased with the performance of his Blue Tornado wrestlers on Saturday.

“We always think we could have done better, but we got 12 through and did pretty well overall,” he said while the mats were being rolled up.

“We lost three matches in the finals to really tough kids.  Christian Morris did a great job at 126 before losing in overtime and Nathan Wysong’s match at 132 was closer than the score.  And we gave up a last-second reverse at 113.  We always grade our kids on attitude and effort as the scoreboard will take care of itself.

“We always want more, but for the most part, I thought we did a good job.  I know that next weekend will be another war between us and Baylor, but Christian Brothers and Father Ryan will be in the mix as well,” Yost concluded.

Baylor’s six champs included Bond at 106, Noah Horst at 126, Dendy at 132, Andrew Pace at 145, Mason Reiniche at 170 and David Harper at 195.

McCallie’s four champs included Emory Taylor at 120, Zach Ward at 138, Alex Whitworth at 152 and Thomas Sell at 182.

Other individual winners included Notre Dame’s Cade Holloway at 113, Gavin Cagle of CAK at 160, MBA’s Dominic Fisher at 220 and Ryan Jackson of Friendship Christian at 285.

HIXSON CRUISED  to victory in the Region 2-A/AA tournament at Alcoa as the Wildcats advanced all 14 individuals while winning nine championship matches and scoring 263.5 points. 

Host Alcoa was second with 155 while Chattanooga Central was third with 91 and Polk County fourth with 51.  Brainerd and Tyner tied for seventh with 26 points apiece while Sale Creek was 10th with 19 points.

Champions for Hixson included Conner Leffew at 106, Trevor Lewis at 120, Charles Burton at 126, Jeremiah Shackleford at 132, Rylie Hart at 138, Jordan Lewis at 145, Marcus Hester at 160, Hector Nunez Hernandez at 195 and Devotis McCurdy at 285.

Other winners included Central’s Haiden Dill at 113, Alcoa’s trio of Anthony Jones at 152, Eli Hagy at 182 and Noah Evans at 220 and Upperman’s Caleb West at 170.

NOLENSVILLE WAS the team champ in the Region 3-A/AA gathering at Eagleville with 224 points while Signal Mountain was the runner-up with 185.5.

Whitwell was fourth with 151 while Red Bank and Sequatchie County tied for sixgth with 67.  East Ridge and Howard were 11th and 12th with 29 and nine points, respectively.

Signal Mountain had nine qualifiers for next week, including three champs.  Daniel Uhorchuk was victorious at 113 while Kale Albritton was the winner at 126 and Sam Wickizer first at 132.

Nolensville had five champs while Forrest had four.  Eagleville and Whitwell had one each.

CLEVELAND AND Bradley both qualified all 14 individuals as they finished one-two in the Region 4-AAA tournament at Ooltewah.

The defending state champ Blue Raiders had nine champs as they scored 260.5 points while Bradley had three winners to finish second with 213 points.

Walker Valley was third with 112 points while East Hamilton and Ooltewah tied for fifth with 75.  Soddy Daisy was sixth with 66 points.

Cleveland’s winners included Trae McDaniel (106), Jackson Bradford (113), Logan Whiteside (132), Cael Laxton (138), Grant Lundy (145), Austin Sweeney (152), Zach Brezna (160), Dylan Jones (182) and Wilson Benefield (220).

Bradley’s three champs included Wesley Devaney at 120, Daniel Mroz at 126 and D.J. Gibson at 195.

Other 4-AAA champs included Cade Meeks of East Hamilton at 170 and Walker Valley’s Jadon Langford at 285.

The traditional state tournament will begin for public schools on Thursday afternoon while all the private schools join the competition on Friday morning.  Championship finals in all classifications will be contested early Saturday evening with all matches being held at the Williamson County Agricultural Exposition Park in Franklin.

(email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

logo
Return to Frontpage
weather-rain.png
Hilltoppers-repeat-at-regional-wrestling
previous.png
Dobyns-Bennett’s Brennan Watkins is declared the winner in the 113-pound title match.
Science Hill poses with their second consecutive Region 1-AAA wrestling title.
Science Hill’s Tyler Seeley (top) and Dobyns-Bennett’s Eli Whitley wrestle in a semifinal match. Seeley would go on to win the bout.
Daniel Boone’s Charlie Cole (left) and Cade Salyers (right) square off in a first-round heavyweight bout.
Dobyns-Bennett’s Brennan Watkins tries to escape the grip of Science Hill’s Javelle Gillespie.
David Crcokett’s Gavin Russell gets Science Hill’s Joseph Frye wrapped up in a headlock.
Dobyns-Bennett’s Brennan Watkins is declared the winner in the 113-pound title match.
Science Hill poses with their second consecutive Region 1-AAA wrestling title.
next.png

Tanner Cook

1 / 6 Science Hill poses with their second consecutive Region 1-AAA wrestling title.

tcook.jpg
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING 

Science Hill repeats as regional wrestling champion

TANNER COOK • UPDATED TODAY AT 10:59 PM

DANDRIDGE—The Science Hill wrestling team added another trophy to the case on Saturday night.

Competing at Jefferson County High School, the Hilltoppers claimed their second consecutive Region 1-AAA championship.

The Hilltoppers won handily over runner-up Tennessee High, 206.5-155.5. Dobyns-Bennett placed third with 128 points while David Crockett was fifth with 109.

Science Hill’s Braxton Mann and Chase Diehl were crowned individual region champions. The ’Toppers placed nine grapplers in the finals and almost everyone placed in the top four.

“This is great for our kids to come in here and win another region title,” Science Hill coach Jimmy Miller said. “A lot of our kids came in here and performed very well. There’s big expectations of them being in this program. It’s not easy being a Science Hill wrestler some days and you’ve got a target on your back everywhere you go.”

Diehl, in particular, stood out to Coach Miller. Operating in the 170-pound class, the recent Southern Illinois-Edwardsville signee kept his perfect record intact — he’s now 59-0 this season — and is trying to win another state title.

“(Diehl) is looking for a big weekend coming up next weekend at state. He’s five matches away from finishing the season the way he wants to,” Miller said. “We had a bunch of freshman and sophomores step up and find their way into the regional finals and get us some points. Our mainstays really helped us out today, too. We can count on our juniors and seniors.”

Posting second-place finishes for Science Hill were Hayden Bodo, Javelle Gillespie, Tripp Miller, Tyler Seeley, Joseph Frye, Jared Harter and Jack Tevis.

Seeley lost an exciting match in overtime in the 132-pound bout to Jefferson County’s Landon Fisher, who scored a reversal when Seeley nearly got the point needed to win on an escape.

OTHER NOTABLE FINISHES

Brennan Watkins and Cade Salyers collected titles for Dobyns-Bennett in the 113-pound and 285-pound classes, respectively.

For the runner-up Vikings, Reece Nelson won the 120-pound title and senior Dillon Pendley, named wrestler of the year and outstanding wrestler in the lower weight classes, took home the 138-pound crown.

Logan Ferguson won by forfeit in the 152-pound division and Dominic Fields took home honors in the 160-pound division. Fields was selected as outstanding wrestler in the upper weight classes.

Gavin Hurley won the final title on the evening for the Vikings at 195 pounds.

David Crockett’s Gavin Russell won the deep 145-pound division over Frye with a fall in the second period with 1:50 left.

Daniel Boone’s Gage DeLoach claimed runner-up honors in the 220 class. Another notable finish for the Trailblazers was junior star running back Charlie Cole — who just recently started wrestling — placing third in the heavyweight division, good enough for a state-tournament berth.

UP NEXT

The state tournament will be next weekend at the Williamson County Expo Center in Franklin, taking place on Friday and Saturday.

• NASHVILLE—Preseason expectations for Science Hill’s swimming and diving team didn’t have their typical luster. The Hilltoppers, however, paid no heed and went about
  • Science Hill places sixth in state meet

• Tennessee High earned the top two honors on the 2018-19 Region 1-AAA Super 14 wrestling team as chosen by the coaches. Vikings senior Dillon Pendley was named the Region 1-AAA wrestler of the year

Vikings earn top honors on Super 14 team

• ______________________________
  • HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING 

Vikings earn top honors on Super 14 team

JOHNSON CITY PRESS • FEB 8, 2019 AT 5:44 PM

Tennessee High earned the top two honors on the 2018-19 Region 1-AAA Super 14 wrestling team as chosen by the coaches.

Vikings senior Dillon Pendley was named the Region 1-AAA wrestler of the year after posting a 47-2 overall record so far at the 138-pound weight class. Tennessee High’s Tim Marshall was honored as the Region 1-AAA coach of the year.

Pendley is a three-time Region 1-AAA champion going into Saturday’s championships at Jefferson County. He’s a two-time state medalist, and won first place at the Hammer Holiday Classic, the Bill Brimer Brawl in the Hall, the Ed Cressel Classic and the Panther Invitational.

106 — Braeden Ivy, Morristown West

The Trojans freshman is 49-1 on the season, winning first place in the Holiday Hammer Classic, the Bill Brimer Brawl in the Hall. the Fandetti-Richardson Brawl, the IMAC tournament and the Greeneville Invitational.

113 — Brennan Watkins, Dobyns-Bennett

Watkins, an Indians sophomore, is 35-6, one year after winning the Region 1-AAA championship at 106. He finished second in the Bill Brimer Brawl in the Hall.

120 — Reece Nelson, Tennessee High

Nelson, a Vikings sophomore, is 30-9 on the year. He was runner-up in Region 1-AAA last season and earned first-place honors at the Holiday Hammer Classic and the Bill Brimer Brawl in the Hall. He finished second at the Ed Cressel Classic.

126 — Braxton Mann, Science Hill

Mann, another sophomore, is 45-4 and is the defending Region 1-AAA champion. He earned wins at the North Knight Invitational, the CH Necessary Invitational and the Battle for Independence. He finished second at the Fandetti-Richardson Brawl and the Smoky Mountain Grapple.

132 — Tyler Seeley, Science Hill

Seeley, a Hilltopper junior, is 47-7 against tough competition. He has made the finals of the Region 1-AAA tournament the last two seasons, winning a year ago.

He was fifth in the state at 106 his freshman season, and this year has victories at the CH Necessary Invitational, the Kingsley Classic and the Battle for Independence. He also was second at the North Knight Invitational and third at the Fandetti-Richardson Brawl.

145 — Gavin Russell, David Crockett

A two-time state qualifier for the Pioneers, the senior is 48-5 this season. Russell was a state medalist last season, finishing sixth overall.

152 — Logan Ferguson, Tennessee High

The defending Region 1-AAA champion is 30-5 so far his senior season. He scored second-place at the Ed Cressel Classic and the Panther Invitational.

160 — Dominic Fields, Tennessee High

After winning the state at 145 last season, the Vikings senior has gone 47-4 at the 160-weight class.

He is a two-time Region 1-AAA champion, a two-time Bill Brimer Brawl in the Hall champion, and a first-place finisher in the Ed Cressel Classic, the Holiday Hammer Invitational and the Panther Invitational.

170 — Chase Diehl, Science Hill

The Hilltopper senior is 56-0 so far this season after winning the state title at 160 a year ago. He finished third in the state the previous season and is a three-time defending Region 1-AAA champion.

First-place honors include the North Knight Invitational, the CH Necessary Invitational, the Kingsley Classic, the Smoky Mountain Grapple, the Battle for Independence and the Fandetti-Richardson Brawl.

182 — Camden Buckingham, Morristown West

The Trojans senior is 50-8 including first-place in the IMAC tournament. He earned second place at the Bill Brimer Brawl in the Hall, the Fandetti-Richardson Brawl and the Greeneville Invitational. He also finished third at the Holiday Hammer Classic.

195 — Gavin Hurley, Tennessee High

The Vikings senior has gone 31-9 over the season including first place at the Panther Invitational.

220 — Zane Gray, David Crockett

The second Pioneer wrestler chosen to represent his school, Gray has gone 16-6 one year after being a TSSAA state qualifier.

285 — Brenton Salyers, Dobyns-Bennett

The Indians heavyweight has posted an 18-2 record his senior season. He is a two-time Region 1-AAA champion and was a state medalist last season, finishing in sixth place. He also placed second at the Bill Brimer Brawl in the Hall.

• Five Vikings earn Region 1-AAA wrestling titles

Brian Woodson | Bristol Herald Courier

DANDRIDGE, Tenn. – Five for five.

Tennessee High sent five wrestlers into the finals of the Region 1-AAA championships held on Saturday at Jefferson County High School.

All five Vikings returned as regional champs.

“I feel real good about it,” Tennessee High wrestling coach Tim Marshall said. “Five for five in the finals, I think that is the first time we have done that so that is great.”

Leading the way was senior Dillon Pendley, who also made history, becoming the fourth Tennessee High wrestler to win four regional crowns.

“It sounds great,” said Pendley, who captured the 138-pound weight class, improving his season record to 50-2, along with compiling his school record 210th career victory. “That was the goal coming in my freshman year and it is really nice to get in there.”

Pendley was joined with a spot at the top of the podium by Reece Nelson (120) and Gavin Hurley (195), whose brothers, Trent Nelson and Corbin Hurley, were also four-time champions. Dominic Fields (160) and Logan Ferguson (152) made it a clean sweep for the quintet from Tennessee High.

“We have a good room. That helps with wrestling and going for state championships,” said Fields, who won the state title last season at 145 pounds. “Having a good room definitely helps.”

They will be joined at the state meet this week in Franklin by third-place finishers Perry Roller (113) and Cooper Jenkins (182), along with Tyler Fields (220), who placed fourth.

The Vikings finished second as a team, trailing only Science Hill in the final standings.

“We are happy with second with 10 wrestlers scoring for us,” Marshall said. “We have got a bunch of freshmen that stepped up and came in and scored points for us so I am real excited about it.”

Pendley made quick work of Jackson Hurst from Dobyns-Bennett, although he found himself in a little trouble early on.

“I think I kind of made me mad. I am not sure exactly what I did, I messed up a little bit, but I recovered from it so it was all right,” said Pendley, who recalled his first regional title, defeating Mike Kromoff of David Crockett as a freshman four years ago.

“I think the first one was definitely the toughest. I remember it. That was the toughest. The others have been a little bit more wide spread in points.”

He continued along a similar path for the next three years, joining Chad Cross, Trent Nelson and Corbin Hurley as four-time regional champions. Nelson also held the career record for wins with 201 before Pendley passed him this season.

“He absolutely has,” said Marshall, which asked about Pendley’s remarkable four years on the mats. “The fourth all-time region champion in the history of the high school. Dillon is an amazing wrestler, I don’t know, there are so many good things about him I don’t know if I know where to start.”

The goal now is to finish it off in style, having placed third in the state last year and fourth as a sophomore.

“We will see this year. The goal is number one this year,” said Pendley, who was chosen as the Region 1-AAA Wrestler of the Year, and was also picked as the Most Outstanding Wrestler in Saturday’s lower weight classes. “Just keep working hard the next couple of days, get my mind right, get mentally prepared.”

Fields took the top spot last season at the 145-pound weight class before moving up to 160 as a senior. Don’t count him out from winning another one.

“I grew a couple of inches, hit the gym a little bit and get bigger,” Fields said. “I feel like I fit the weight class a lot better. I feel pretty good about it this year.”

Fields also became a three-time regional champion, falling one position short as a sophomore. Fields pinned Clint Morrisette of Dobyns-Bennett to finish on top in this one, earning Most Outstanding Wrestler for the meet’s upper weight classes.

“I am pretty happy with it. It definitely exceeds what I thought I would do when I was a freshman,” Fields said. “I want to finish off on a good note. That would be nice.”

Nelson followed up last year’s second place finish by placing first in this one, going the distance, but easily out-pointing Science Hill’s James Miller in the final match.

“I was very, very happy because I won. I am happy I came in first. It was just more experience and I guess being older,” said Nelson, who credits his fellow Vikings for much of his success. “They are great teammates. I don’t think I would as good if they weren’t on my team because they help out a lot.”

After missing his first two seasons with knee injuries, Hurley was finally able to secure a regional title in his final chance.

“It was a journey, but it has been worth it,” he said. “Things like this make it worth it all.”

It wasn’t easy, with Hurley defeating Morristown West’s Sonny Watson by the slimmest of margins, 2-1, in the title match.

“It is a thrill, it is everything I imagined and more. He is a great competitor. They have got a good program over there,” said Hurley, who credited coaching for giving him the edge needed to finish on top. “Just my coaches pushing me during practice, I was able to push the pace a little bit and just worked on technique.”

No one had an easier time in the finals than Ferguson, who won by forfeit when his opponent became sick. He still had to win his first two matches earlier in the day to advance to the finals.

“I wrestled two earlier in the day,” he said. “It feels good, just being in really good shape and outworking everybody...I just have to wrestle my hardest at state.”

It was a long day for all competitors, but nothing they haven’t experienced before. Both Fields and Nelson professed to taking plenty of naps to pass the time.

“I think the nerves are kind of hard to deal with when it is that long of a day, but most of the kids have done this since they were like 5 years old,” said Marshall, who was chosen as the Region 1-AAA Coach of the Year. “They are used to it and they have wrestled a lot of big matches so they figure out how to deal with it.”

Up next is a trip to Franklin and the state meet, with Marshall optimistic about the week ahead.

“We have got several that have a good chance to go down and be state champions,” he said. “I would like to bring home four or five state medals”.

bwoodson@bristolnews.com | Twitter @BHC Woodson | 276-645-2572

Manchester Times

Darius Rozier 2/7/19

FEATURED

High School Wrestling

Red Raiders compete at region wrestling tournament, send four to states

Matt Tyson, Staff Writer

Feb 10, 2019 Updated 19 hrs ago

The Coffee County boys' state wrestling qualifiers following this weekend's Region V Tournament. With MaryAnne Walker in the girls' division, CHS will be sending five wrestlers to the state meet in Franklin. 
Photo provided by Roger Barlow

Central High School wrestling continued its postseason push this weekend, sending 12 grapplers to the Region V Individual Wrestling Tournament at Warren County High School. With a trip to states on the line, Brett Francis, Jesse Smith, Rey Reyes and Chris Speagle punched their ticket to join MaryAnne Walker at the next round. 

To qualify for states, wrestlers needed a top-four finish in their weight class.

Francis won his first-round bout before falling in the quarterfinals. In the consolation rounds, Francis won four straight, beating Cookeville's Samuel Hadlock in the final to secure third place.

Following a first-round bye, Smith won his quarterfinal matchup before falling in the semis. Smith went on to win his two consolation matches, beating Oakland's Nathaniel Gray in the final for another CHS third-place finish. 

Reyes started with a victory before falling in the quarterfinals. Following a bye in the consolation round, Reyes won his next two matches before falling in the third place match to Oakland's Nolan Cook. His fourth-place finish allowed him to qualify for states. 

Speagle won his opening match before falling in the quarterfinals. After receiving a bye, the Red Raider won his next two matches. In the third-place match, Speagle fell to Tullahoma's Jimmy Pearson, but secured fourth place. 

The four boys, along with Walker, will take part in the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association State Wrestling Championships at the Williamson County Agricultural Expo Center. The championships will be held from Feb. 14-16.

Full CHS results:

106: Gabriel Westbrook (Coffee County) - DNP

Champ. Round 1 - Hayden Malone (Tullahoma) over Gabriel Westbrook (Coffee County) (For.)

Cons. Round 1 - Gabriel Westbrook (Coffee County) received a bye

Cons. Round 2 - Adam Tibitoski (Blackman) over Gabriel Westbrook (Coffee County) (For.)

113: Hunter Massey (Coffee County) - DNP

Champ. Round 1 - Ethan Syler (Stewarts Creek) over Hunter Massey (Coffee County) (For.)

Cons. Round 1 - Hunter Massey (Coffee County) received a bye

Cons. Round 2 - Dallen Nunley (Tullahoma) over Hunter Massey (Coffee County) (For.)

120: Brett Francis (Coffee County) - 3rd

Champ. Round 1 - Brett Francis (Coffee County) over William Hallum (Shelbyville Central) (Fall 2:00)

Quarterfinals - Samuel Hadlock (Cookeville) over Brett Francis (Coffee County) (Fall 5:35)

Cons. Round 2 - Brett Francis (Coffee County) over payton ashburn (Riverdale) (Fall 3:50)

Cons. Round 3 - Brett Francis (Coffee County) over Kenny Pranouphong (Lavergne) (MD 10-2)

Cons. Semis - Brett Francis (Coffee County) over Kenney Harless (Stewarts Creek) (Dec 6-4)

3rd Place Match - Brett Francis (Coffee County) over Samuel Hadlock (Cookeville) (Dec 5-4)

132: Hunter Waring (Coffee County) - DNP

Champ. Round 1 - alec lewis (Riverdale) over Hunter Waring (Coffee County) (Fall 3:13)

Cons. Round 1 - Hunter Waring (Coffee County) received a bye

Cons. Round 2 - Joe Bell (Oakland) over Hunter Waring (Coffee County) (Fall 1:31)

138: Gavin Prater (Coffee County) - DNP

Champ. Round 1 - Gavin Prater (Coffee County) over Zeb Merritt (Lavergne) (Fall 3:51)

Quarterfinals - Evan Smart (Blackman) over Gavin Prater (Coffee County) (Fall 3:33)

Cons. Round 2 - Gavin Prater (Coffee County) over Caden McCandless (Siegel) (Fall 1:53)

Cons. Round 3 - Mokhtar Abdulkarim (Stewarts Creek) over Gavin Prater (Coffee County) (MD 14-1)

145: Jesse Smith (Coffee County) - 3rd

Champ. Round 1 - Jesse Smith (Coffee County) received a bye

Quarterfinals - Jesse Smith (Coffee County) over Aaron Fisher (Blackman) (Dec 7-2)

Semifinals - Michael Williams (Shelbyville Central) over Jesse Smith (Coffee County) (Fall 3:22)

Cons. Semis - Jesse Smith (Coffee County) over Gunner Johnson (Siegel) (Dec 4-3)

3rd Place Match - Jesse Smith (Coffee County) over Nathaniel Gray (Oakland) (Dec 4-3)

160: Zack Bush (Coffee County) - DNP

Champ. Round 1 - Ethan Cowan (Warren Co.) over Zack Bush (Coffee County) (Fall 4:30)

Cons. Round 1 - Zack Bush (Coffee County) received a bye

Cons. Round 2 - angel lopez (Smyrna) over Zack Bush (Coffee County) (Fall 0:43)

170: Jacob Phillips (Coffee County) - DNP

Champ. Round 1 - Landon Fowler (Blackman) over Jacob Phillips (Coffee County) (Fall 0:32)

Cons. Round 1 - Jacob Phillips (Coffee County) received a bye

Cons. Round 2 - Jacob Knight (Stewarts Creek) over Jacob Phillips (Coffee County) (Fall 0:52)

182: Reynaldo Reyes (Coffee County) - 4th

Champ. Round 1 - Reynaldo Reyes (Coffee County) over Kaige Whitaker (Cookeville) (Fall 0:48)

Quarterfinals - Nolan Cook (Oakland) over Reynaldo Reyes (Coffee County) (Fall 3:00)

Cons. Round 2 - Reynaldo Reyes (Coffee County) received a bye

Cons. Round 3 - Reynaldo Reyes (Coffee County) over James Veach (Stewarts Creek) (Fall 0:38)

Cons. Semis - Reynaldo Reyes (Coffee County) over Brian Nelms (Tullahoma) (Fall 3:12)

3rd Place Match - Nolan Cook (Oakland) over Reynaldo Reyes (Coffee County) (Fall 0:53)

195: Zachary Galy (Coffee County) - DNP

Champ. Round 1 - Zachary Galy (Coffee County) over Armando Comacho (Smyrna) (Fall 3:35)

Quarterfinals - luis ramirez (Riverdale) over Zachary Galy (Coffee County) (Fall 1:10)

Cons. Round 2 - Hunter Parks (Tullahoma) over Zachary Galy (Coffee County) (Fall 4:02)

220: Christopher Speagle (Coffee County)- 4th

Champ. Round 1 - Christopher Speagle (Coffee County) over Dakota Goings (Stewarts Creek) (Fall 0:48)

Quarterfinals - Bowdy Boyce (Blackman) over Christopher Speagle (Coffee County) (Fall 4:27)

Cons. Round 2 - Christopher Speagle (Coffee County) received a bye

Cons. Round 3 - Christopher Speagle (Coffee County) over Daniel Hall  (Siegel) (Fall 2:03)

Cons. Semis - Christopher Speagle (Coffee County) over James Ramsey (Warren Co.) (Dec 5-4)

3rd Place Match - Jimmy Pearson (Tullahoma) over Christopher Speagle (Coffee County) (Dec 8-2)

285: Cardin Stump (Coffee County) - DNP

Champ. Round 1 - Cardin Stump (Coffee County) received a bye

Quarterfinals - Austin  McBee (Shelbyville Central) over Cardin Stump (Coffee County) (Fall 5:19)

Cons. Round 2 - Cardin Stump (Coffee County) received a bye

Cons. Round 3 - Samuel Hayness (Cookeville) over Cardin Stump (Coffee County) (Fall 3:47)

logo-compact.svg
  •  

logo-compact.svg

BORO/RUTHERFORD COUNTY

DNJ...

Area sending 44 wrestlers to TSSAA state individual tournament

CECIL JOYCE | MURFREESBORO DAILY NEWS JOURNAL
Updated 4 hours ago

TSSAA state wrestling highlights: Blackman's Landon Fowler wins 182 crown
Highlights of Landon Fowler's 182-pound division state title win over Bearden's Max Grayson.
CECIL JOYCE

Eleven area athletes won region wrestling titles and 44 total will be competing in the TSSAA state individual tournament this weekend in Franklin.

There will be 36 competing in Class AAA, and five boys from Eagleville will be competing at the A-AA tournament. Three area girls also reached the state tournament.

The Region 5-AAA Tournament this past weekend sent 36 area wrestlers to state while 10 won region titles.

Region champs were Stewarts Creek's Tyler South (106 pounds) and Trevor South (145), Smyrna's Cameron Henderson (138), Oakland's Jackson Riley (285) and Blackman's Alex Rose (113), Jalen Brown (152), Anthony Gomez (160), Landon Fowler (170), Brooks Sacharczyk (182) and Bowdy Boyce (220).

Henderson and Fowler are defending state champions, though Fowler competed in the 182-pound division last year and Henderson in 132.

Eagleville had a Region 3 A-AA champ in Wyatt McLemore (152 pounds). It will be the sophomore's third consecutive trip to the state tournament.

Other Eagles who advanced: Gabe Pennington (120), Jason Dennis (170), Kwon Park (182) and Donovan Darnell (195).

Blackman's Alyson Colson (103), Siegel's Kortney Brinkley (103) and Eagleville's Madison Kohler (125) were the three area girls who advanced to the state tournament. 

Region 5-AAA wrestlers who advanced to the state tournament include: 

106 pounds: 1st: Tyler South, Stewarts Creek, 2nd: Chas Stokes, Oakland, 3rd: Adam Tibitoski, Blackman, 4th: Jamil Omar, Smyrna.

113 pounds: 1st: Alex Rose, Blackman, 2nd: Tyler Vanderheyden, Oakland, 3rd: Ethan Syler, Stewarts Creek, 4th: Brandon Leyva, Smyrna.

120 pounds: 1st: Jacob Haney, Lawrence Co., 2nd: Cal Rogers, Tullahoma, 3rd: Brett Francis, Coffee Co., 4th: Samuel Hadlock, Cookeville.

126 pounds: 1st: Luke Dezember, Lawrence Co., 2nd: David Medina, Riverdale, 3rd: Liam Elam, Blackman, 4th: Jordan Fenton, Siegel.

132 pounds: 1st: Dominic Williams, Lawrence Co., 2nd: Austin Marlatt, Blackman, 3rd: Kelani Meckes, Stewarts Creek, 4th: Rhett Birdsong, Tullahoma.

138 pounds: 1st: Cameron Henderson, Smyrna, 2nd: Andrew Farrar, Oakland, 3rd: Evan Smart, Blackman, 4th: Mohktar Abdulkarim, Stewarts Creek.

145 pounds: 1st: Trevor South, Stewarts Creek, 2nd: Michael Williams, Shelbyville, 3rd: Jesse Smith, Coffee Co., 4th: Nathaniel Gray, Oakland.

152 pounds: 1st: Jalen Brown, Blackman, 2nd: Chavez Harden, Tullahoma, 3rd: Christopher Grier, Shelbyville, 4th: Ketwain Bowers, Oakland.

160 pounds: 1st: Anthony Gomez, Blackman, 2nd: Dejon Glaster, Oakland, 3rd: Kenneth Phillips, Siegel, 4th: Alek Wells, Stewarts Creek.

170 pounds: 1st: Landon Fowler, Blackman, 2nd: Dakota Cuccinella, Cookeville, 3rd: Trinton Partin, Tullahoma, 4th: Cole Coughran, Oakland.

182 pounds: 1st: Brooks Sacharczyk, Blackman, 2nd: Issac Gillentine, Warren Co., 3rd: Nolan Cook, Oakland, 4th: Reynaldo Reyes, Coffee Co.

195 pounds: 1st: Jacob Dubberly, Lawrence Co., 2nd: Luis Ramirez, Riverdale, 3rd: Caleb Perkins, Oakland, 4th: Roy Roman, La Vergne.

220 pounds: 1st: Bowdy Boyce, Blackman, 2nd: Kameron Bingham, Oakland, 3rd: Jimmy Pearson, Tullahoma, 4th: Christopher Speagle, Coffee Co.

285 pounds: 1st: Jackson Riley, Oakland, 2nd: Hector Feliciano-Torres, La Vergne, 3rd: Austin McBee, Shelbyville, 4th: Tydrell Mitchell, Tullahoma.

McMinn County's Gage Boggess returning to state tournament

By Gabriel Garcia Sports Writer

8 hrs ago

McMinn County’s Gage Boggess performs a hold on Rhea County’s Logan Douglas during the third-place match in the 132-pound weight class at the Region 4-AAA wrestling tournament on Saturday at Ooltewah High School. Boggess won the match, finishing third in the tournament, and will also head to the TSSAA state wrestling tournament Thursday in Franklin.

OOLTEWAH — Gage Boggess was determined to get back to state after missing out last year.

The McMinn County junior did just that, going 3-1 on the day to not only qualify for the TSSAA state wrestling tournament, but also to finish the Region 4-AAA wrestling tournament at third place in the 132-pound weight class Saturday at Ooltewah High School.

Boggess had made a trip to state his freshman year, but illness in last year’s regional prevented him from wrestling his best, making him fall short as a sophomore.

“It was unfortunate last year with the flu, but it’s a lot better this year,” Boggess said. “It feels great to get back as a junior. I hated missing it last year, but it was fun freshman year, and I can’t wait to get back and hopefully do better, win more matches and place.”

Boggess started the day pinning Walker Valley’s Markus Rich in 1:08, but lost a major decision 16-4 to Bradley Central’s Gavin Hughes in the semifinal.

But still just one more win away from qualifying for state, Boggess pinned East Hamilton’s Maclain Otting in 2:06 to earn his trip to Franklin.

“It couldn’t happen to a better kid,” said McMinn Coach Matt Rabine. “He’s worked hard all year long. I know last year he got sick and didn’t qualify, and this is what he’s been working for. Great kid and even better wrestler.”

And then, for good measure, Boggess out-wrestled Rhea County’s Logan Douglas to win by decision 7-0 for third place, getting his first two points on a takedown near the end of the first round, then padding the lead with a three-point near-fall in the second round.

“That means a lot for me,” Boggess said of finishing third. “It means I’ll likely get a second seed (to wrestle against) for my first match at state, so it’ll be a little easier than my freshman year when I had a first seed.”

The state wrestling tournament starts Thursday, Feb. 14, and runs through Saturday, Feb. 16, at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center in Franklin. Boggess hopes to follow in the footsteps of his father, Keith Boggess, who placed at state when he wrestled for McMinn.

“Hopefully I can just place and have a picture beside my dad, that’s the main goal,” Boggess said. “My dad’s picture is on the wall at McMinn, and hopefully I can be beside him, continue a legacy.”

The Cherokees could’ve had at least one, if not two more, state qualifiers Saturday. Freshman Kyle Cooley at 126 pounds, who entered Saturday with a 15-11 record, scored an upset of Cleveland’s Garrett Stevenson in the first round by 2-0 decision.

However, in the semifinal against Bradley’s Daniel Mroz, Cooley fell hard on his head and sustained a concussion, ending what was a possible run to the state tournament.

And then at 285 pounds, junior Lucas LeBeau injured his knee in the first round against Ooltewah’s Kevin Chang, resulting in a medical forfeit. LeBeau did return to the circle later Saturday against Bradley’s Austin McClure, with a brace on his knee and a state berth on the line, and took a 2-0 lead into the second round before McClure performed a reversal and pinned him for the fall in 1:58.

“Unfortunately with so many injuries, we didn’t get the finish we wanted,” Rabine said. “But they’re all coming back, at least most of them, and we’ll just work on it in the offseason and get better next year.”

While McMinn finished at the bottom of the eight-team standings, Rabine, in his first year as coach, took one team-wide positive from Saturday: Six wrestlers total advanced within one match of a state berth.

Freshman Jackson Boggess, at 138 pounds, defeated East Hamilton’s Sam Malone in the wrestleback round by 9-5 decision, landing one match away from joining his brother, Gage, on the trip to Franklin before falling to Rhea County’s Wyatt Stumbo.

Senior Jacob LeBeau, at 220, recovered from his first-round loss to pin East Hamilton’s Griffin Towe in one minute. With state on the line, LeBeau lost a narrow 10-6 decision to Soddy-Daisy’s Justin Watson.

London Wilkins, at 106, and Isaac Valencia, at 195, also advanced to one round short of state.

“We take the positive with the disappointments, and build on those strengths, and that’s what we plan to do,” Rabine said. “They’re great kids and great hard workers, and looking forward to the offseason.”

Email: gabriel.garcia@dailypostathenian.com

Edited by Sommers