Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Army and Illinois...

ARMY CONNECTIONS
• Army head coach Kevin Ward is a native of Soddy Daisy, Tenn., where he was a three-time Tennessee State Champion in 1999, 2000 and 2001.
• Army assistant coach Joe DeAngelo started his collegiate career as a freshman at UTC in 2010-11.....

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team hosts the inaugural Chattanooga Duals in Maclellan Gym this weekend.  UTC welcomes Illinois and Army for the tri-event on Sunday, Nov. 10. 

"We are very excited to bring in two high-caliber teams," stated UTC head coach Kyle Ruschell.  "We will be testing our guys all year long and this is the first weekend that several will have the opportunity to wrestle ranked opponents."

Action begins at 10:00 a.m. (E.S.T.) with Army taking on Illinois.  The Mocs then face the Black Knights at Noon, followed by the Fighting Illini at 2:00 p.m.

"We need to prepare our guys for the national tournament, and at NCAA's this level of competition is pretty much all you wrestle," added Ruschell. "These matches let us know where we stack up and how we need to go about our day-to-day business."

Links for live scoring through TrackWrestling and the SoCon Digital Network broadcast for all three matches are available on the wrestling schedule page on GoMocs.com.  Chris Goforth (pxp) and Travis Jarrard (analyst) have the call on the SoConDN.

UTC brings a 1-0 record after last week's season-opening win over Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (29-14) in Miller Park.  The Mocs also had 10 individuals place at the Southeast Open on Nov. 3.

Army is 1-1 after participating in the Battle on the Midway in San Diego, Calif., on Nov. 2. The Black Knights earned a decisive 29-9 win over Fresno State aboard the USS Midway, and narrowly came close to upsetting No. 6 Wisconsin, falling 16-15 in a thriller.

This is the first dual of the year for Illinois who had eight individuals place at the Michigan State Open on Nov. 2.

PROBABLE LINEUP FOR THE CHATTANOOGA DUALS
125: Fabian Gutierrez (Jr. - 3-1)
133: Franco Valdes (So. - 2-3) or Wade Cummings (Jr. - 2-2)
141: Aidan Murphy (So. - 0-2)
149: Mason Wallace (So. - 2-3) or Tanner Smith (So. - 3-2)
157: George Carpenter (Sr. - 4-3)
165: Drew Nicholson (So. - 3-3) or Tyler Shilson (So. - 2-2)
174: Hunter Fortner (So. - 2-2) or Dominic Lampe (Sr. - 0-0)
184: Matthew Waddell (So. - 3-1) or Ben Stacey (0-2)
197: Rodney Jones (Sr. - 2-2)
HWT: Grayson Walthall (So. - 2-3)

TICKETS
Season tickets for UTC Wrestling are still available on GoMocs.com, along with match tickets for the Chattanooga Duals.  Admission for Sunday is $6 for adults and $4 for youth (under 14).  Doors open at 9:00 a.m.

IT'S ALL IN THE NAME
On first reference, it is acceptable to refer to us as the "University of Tennessee at Chattanooga". After that, we prefer to be called "Chattanooga" or "UTC". Our nickname is "Mocs". Please do not use UT-Chattanooga, Tennessee-Chattanooga or the Moccasins.

HEAD COACH KYLE RUSCHELL
Kyle Ruschell was named head coach of the Mocs on Aug. 10, 2018, and is in his second season guiding the UTC program. He has an 8-7 dual record overall that includes sharing the SoCon Regular Season Title last season with a 7-7 mark and a 5-1 league tally.  He spent the previous eight seasons as an assistant coach at Wisconsin. A former member of the U.S. National Team (2014-15), he was a two-time All-American for the Badgers (2007-10).

SCOUTING THE MOCS
UTC returns seven of 10 starters to the lineup from last year's team.  2019 SoCon Freshman of the Year Tanner Smith is back at 149, while junior Fabian Gutierrez takes over as the starter at 125. 

Other returning starters include sophomores Drew Nicholson and Hunter Fortner at 165 and 174, and seniors Dominic Lampe and Rodney Jones at 184 and 197.

Some new faces in the lineup include a pair of transfers in senior George Carpenter and sophomore Matthew Waddell.  Carpenter is a graduate transfer from Penn State, while Waddell started his career at Oklahoma.  Look for Carpenter to compete at 157, while Waddell is listed at 184. 

SCOUTING ARMY
The Black Knights have two wrestlers ranked in this week's Intermat Top 20 listings. Senior Ben Harvey won two matches on the opening weekend at 174 and is up to No. 8 in the rankings. Senior Cael McCormick split his matches on the USS Midway and is No. 12 at 165. 

HEAD TO HEAD VS. ARMY
133: UTC's Fanco Valdes posted an 8-6 decision over Army's Lane Peters on at last year's Cougar Clash on Dec. 2, 2018. 

174: Army's Ben Harvey beat UTC's Hunter Fortner 8-2 at the Cougar Clash on Dec. 2, 2018. 

MORE ARMY CONNECTIONS
• Army head coach Kevin Ward is a native of Soddy Daisy, Tenn., where he was a three-time Tennessee State Champion in 1999, 2000 and 2001.
• Army assistant coach Joe DeAngelo started his collegiate career as a freshman at UTC in 2010-11.

ALL-TIME VS. ARMY
The Mocs split the previous two matches with Army.  The Black Knights won the first meeting (27-13) in Albany, N.Y., on Dec. 5, 2004.  The Mocs won the last time these two teams faced off (25-9) in Arlington, Va., on Jan. 7 ,2006.

SCOUTNG ILLINOIS
Eight Fighting Illini wrestlers earned top-six place finishes at the MSU Open last weekend. Competing unattached, freshman DJ Shannon placed second at 174-pounds in the Open division.  Also competing unattached, senior Travis Piotrowski wrestled to a third-place finish in the 133-pound Open division.  This was the first time Piotrowski has competed at 133-pounds in his college career. Freshman Zac Braunagel was fourth 184-pounds while freshman Danny Braunagel was fourth at 165.  Redshirt junior Dylan Duncan made his collegiate debut at 141-pounds with a fourth place showing. 

HEAD TO HEAD VS. ILLINOIS
There are no previous meetings on record for the probable starters.  The Illini have made four trips to Chattanooga, beginning with the first meeting in 1981.  The last time these two teams met was in Maclellan Gym on Jan. 6, 2013.  A full list of the series history is below.  
Home: 0-4, Away: 0-2, Neutral 0-4
1-7-81 - Chattanooga - L - 11-40
1-11-87 - Charleston, Ill. - L - 16-27
1-11-97 - Atlanta, Ga. - L - 0-40
1-10-98 - Atlanta, Ga. - L - 8-34
1-16-99 - Chattanooga - L - 7-37
1-18-03 - Chattanooga - L - 6-31
12-13-03 - Champaign, Ill. - L - 6-38
1-8-05 - Columbus, Ohio - L - 9-27
12-18-11 - Champaign, Ill. - L - 6-30
1-6-13 - Chattanooga - L - 10-29

MOCS PICKED THIRD IN THE SOCON PRESEASON
Chattanooga was picked to finish third in the Southern Conference race with 39 points, including one first-place vote. The Mocs also went 5-1 in the conference last year, finishing with a 7-7 record overall. Campbell received seven first-place votes and 49 points to top the 2019-20 preseason poll. Last season, the Camels went 5-1 in conference matchups, sharing the regular season title with the Mocs and Appalachian State.  The Mountaineers were second with 41 votes.  The Citadel (28), Gardner-Webb (26), VMI (20), Davidson (14) and Presbyterian (7) rounded out the listings. 

SMITH & JONES MAKE PRESEASON ALL-SOCON TEAM
The Mocs were represented by sophomore Tanner Smith at 149 and senior Rodney Jones at 197 on the preseason All-SoCon team.  Smith was the 2019 SoCon Freshman of the Year after posting a 12-9 record and qualifying for the NCAA Championships.  He was also a member of the SoCon All-Freshman team and was runner-up at the SoCon Tournament.  Jones qualified for the NCAAs at 197 pounds last year by taking the SoCon's second automatic bid at that weight.  He defeated The Citadel's Sawyer Root on a last second reversal in the second place match to secure his first trip to the national tournament.

MOCS GETTING THE JOB DONE IN THE CLASSROOM
UTC topped the 3.0 mark as a team for the fourth and fifth times in 2018-19.  The Mocs had a 3.02 GPA in the fall and a 3.1 in the spring.  The Mocs put 13 on the Dean's List and 16 on the A.D. Honor Roll in the fall.  There were 14 on the Dean's List and 17 on the A.D. Honor Roll in the spring.  Huffine, Jacob Murphy and Chris Debien all had 4.0s in the spring.

SEASON & SCUFFLE TICKETS ON SALE
Season tickets and Southern Scuffle tickets are both on sale now on GoMocs.com.  The season begins with the Blue-Gold match on Saturday, Oct. 26, at 4:30 p.m. at McKenzie Arena.  It is part of the Ball and Brawl with the men's basketball team who hosts Covenant in an exhibition game at 2:00 p.m.

ATTENTION ALL WRESTLING ALUMNI
We need all UTC wrestling alumni to take the C Club Challenge for $100.  Joining the C Club directly benefits Mocs wrestling, and the program with the highest percentage of alumni who join get an extra $5,000 added to their budget.  Visit www.gomocs.com/cclub to join.

UTC ATHLETICS DRIVE FOR 25
The Mocs Club is kicking off its second annual Drive for 25 campaign on Saturday, Nov. 9.  The goal of this initiative is to raise $25,000 in unrestricted gifts to the Mocs Club to help support the 300 student-athletes at UTC.  Your participation enhances the academic and athletic success of all our programs and is vital to the continued growth of Chattanooga Athletics.  Any gift is helpful, so be sure to visit give.utc.edu/Drivefor25 and help support the Chattanooga Mocs.

Friday Feels: Gutierrez Determined to Continue Championship Path

Chattanooga Mocs junior wrestler Fabian Gutierrez draws from a solid family foundation on the mat.Miguel Detillier
Nov. 08, 2019 Wrestling

Chattanooga Mocs wrestler Fabian Gutierrez is determined to see progress with the team in the 2019-20 season. He got it started off in strong fashion with a second-place finish at the Southeast Open in Roanoke, Va. last Sunday.

There is a solid foundation on the mat for the redshirt junior from Commerce City, Colo. Gutierrez developed his love and talent for wrestling through his family.

"They got me into this sport when I was four years old," says Gutierrez. "My father David was a high school state champion with Adams City in 2000, and it inspired me to be like him and become a wrestler. Not only did my father wrestle, but so did everybody in my family including all of my cousins. We loved playing this sport so much.

"It is like wrestling is in our blood."

Gutierrez continued to enjoy his passion for wrestling joining the wrestling team at Adams City. He followed in his father's footsteps there winning three consecutive EMAC league championships (2014-16) and the 2016 CHSAAA State Championship.

"Winning the state championship in my senior year was a special moment for me because it felt like everything I worked hard for just finally came true," he adds. "It was so unreal. I just wanted to continue this momentum into college."

That meant the journey east to the Scenic City.

"I wanted to wrestle at UTC because I had family members who lived in Murfreesboro, which was an hour-and-a-half away from campus, and I just loved the city of Chattanooga so much I wanted to be able to represent this city in every way I can on the mat," says Gutierrez.

However, Gutierrez did not get that opportunity right away. He redshirted that first season because he did not fit the weight requirements at 125 pounds.

"I was not big enough to wrestle, so I just spent most of my freshman year lifting weights and doing everything to make my body bigger and stronger," Gutierrez continues. "I knew I also had to eat more because wrestling underweight in college can be difficult."

By the 2017-18 season, Gutierrez successfully increased his weight to 125 pounds. His best result was fourth-place at the Hokie Open. When he finally got back on the mat, Gutierrez enjoyed the atmosphere as well as the team's chemistry.

"Wrestling with the Mocs feels like being in a family," says Gutierrez. "There are not many different cliques on this team, and we all seem to bond together as a team every match and every practice."

Gutierrez improved to 17-4 last year. That included a 4-0 mark in dual matches and becoming the SoCon Wrestler of the Month for December with a 3-1 record and two pins. He also won his weight class at the Hokie Open.

"Gutierrez made his opportunities count last year and saw a move into the rankings," says Coach Kyle Ruschell. "This only happens because of the way he works and what he does every day to get better."

His moves tend to be unusual for a college wrestler. He likes to hit a high crotch to his opponent's right leg. Gutierrez also likes to throw his opponent in the legs and be able to control his hip on the mat and turn him.
He displays an outgoing, yet competitive personality towards his coaches and teammates as well as a strong work ethic in practice every day.

"He is so competitive," says teammate Tyler Shilson. "He's willing to wrestle with anyone in the practice room regardless of weight class because he's the only wrestler who weighs 125 pounds in our team. He tends to wrestle anyone during practice. It's not uncommon for him to practice with someone who is two weight classes above him."

Ruschell adds, "Gutierrez is a fun guy who everybody likes to be around. He brings excitement and joy into our team and the wrestling room.

"On the mat, Fabian wants to dominate his opponent. That always shows in the room."

Gutierrez has a 2-1 record so far this season. He's looking to be one of the best wrestlers in SoCon with the goal of earning an All-American nod. His determination to achieve his goals is evident.

"It is up to Gutierrez to see how far he wants to go this season," says Ruschell. "We as a staff believe in him and his goals, and we also believe he can keep getting better and better on-and-off the mat for our team."

He's gained more credibility and maturity as a wrestler through his family, along with his work in the Chattanooga wrestling room. He overcame early adversity in college through the support of his teammates and coaches. Gutierrez hopes he can take his competitive edge to carry him through the SoCon slate and into the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.

Edited by Sommers

Sports: College Chattanooga Times/News-Free Press
Army & Illinois top UTC wrestlers
Trey Chalifoux competes well... Only one of the Mocs' individual losses included a bonus point...

November 10th, 2019 | by Staff Reports
1573446652_DLR_1695_gs_t400_hbddbd7387e6UTC Athletics photo by Dale Rutemeyer / UTC sophomore Matthew Waddell, right, won against both Army and Illinois in the Chattanooga Duals on Sunday.

Despite a win in each match by 184-pounder Matthew Waddell, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team lost 18-12 to Army and 22-10 to Illinois in the inaugural Chattanooga Duals on Sunday in Maclellan Gym. Army defeated the Illini 19-15. Only one of the Mocs' individual losses included a bonus point, and they got one of their own on Rodney Jones' major decision against Illinois at 197. Tanner Smith and Mason Wallace each won at 149 for UTC (1-2), and Fabian Gutierrez at 125 and Andrew Nicholson at 165 each went 1-1.

From GoMocs.com

Mobile

Mobile
Matthew
Photo Credit: Dale Rutemeyer
Sophomore Matthew Waddell led the Mocs with two wins today.

Mocs Battle at the Chattanooga Duals

Nov. 10, 2019 Wrestling
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team hosted the inaugural Chattanooga Duals in Maclellan Gym today.  The Mocs dropped a pair of matches to Army and Illinois in the tri-meet. 

UTC battled hard in its first match against Army before falling 18-12.  The Black Knights opened the event earlier in the day with a 19-15 win over Illinois.  The Mocs closed out the day with a 22-10 loss to the Fighting Illini.

"Overall, I am proud of our guys," stated UTC head coach Kyle Ruschell.  "They came out and pushed the pace in every match.  They didn't sit back.  They weren't playing the edge. They were going out there to score and win. 

"That is what we have to expect them to do every match and every dual meet. Make sure that these guys, the next time they wrestle us, they don't want to.  I think we did that overall today."

The UTC-Army dual was tied 12-12 with two matches left, before the Cadets closed out the win.  Junior Fabian Gutierrez open with a 3-1 decision over Trey Chalifoux at 125.  After two Army wins, sophomore Tanner Smith tied the match with a 2-0 decision over P.J. Ogunsanya at 149. 

Army won again at 157, but sophomore Drew Nicholson tied it again with a 5-4 decision over Mason Smith at 165.  Sophomore Hunter Fortner gave an outstanding effort for the Mocs at 174.  He lost to No. 8 Ben Harvey in a 1-0 match. 

Sophomore Matthew Waddell, a transfer from Oklahoma who joined the Mocs this season, scored the first of his two wins on the day to even the match at 12.  He defeated Luke Hodsden 11-5. 

"Matthew Waddell had a great day," added Ruschell.  "He needs to continue to push the pace and build on what he has accomplished because he has a lot more in him.  Overall, we are proud of the way he went out there and looked to score.  We just have to finish and separate ourselves." 

Illinois jumped out to a 9-0 in the final dual of the day with UTC.  Sophomore Mason Wallace got the Mocs on the board with a 7-2 decision at 149.  The match was tied 1-1 when Wallace threw Mousa Jodeh on his back for a six-point swing.  That gave UTC two wins by two different individuals at 149 for the day.

"We have a battle right there," said Ruschell when asked about the performance of Wallace and Smith at 149. "It is just like 125 last year.  Sometimes iron sharpens iron, and these guys are both battling and pushing each other every day."
Illinois took the next three before Waddell won again at 184.  Senior Rodney Jones closed out the UTC scoring with a major decision at 197.  He recovered with a win after dropping his earier match to Army. 

"That was huge, especially as a senior captain," commented Ruschell on Jones recovering after the earlier loss.  "These guys respect him a lot.  Him bouncing back and winning with a major decision in the second match, that is what leaders do."

The Mocs are back in action next Sunday, Nov. 17, at Iowa.  The next home dual is Sunday, Dec. 1 against Ohio.  Tickets for the Ohio match and the Southern Scuffle are available through the "Tickets" tab at the top of the page.

Illinois 22 - Chattanooga 10
Chattanooga Duals – Nov. 10, 2019
Maclellan Gym – Chattanooga, Tenn.

125: Justin Cardani (ILLI) over Fabian Gutierrez (UTC) (Dec 5-2)
133: No. 10 Travis Piotrowski (ILLI) over Franco Valdes (UTC) (Dec 6-2)
141: We Rachal (ILLI) over Aidan Murphy (UTC) (Dec 5-3)
149: Mason Wallace (UTC) over Mousa Jodeh (ILLI) (Dec 7-2)
157: No. 20 Eric Barone (ILLI) over George Carpenter (UTC) (Dec 8-5)
165: Dan Braunagel (ILLI) over Andrew Nicholson (UTC) (Dec 5-3)
174: No. 15 Joseph Gunther (ILLI) over Hunter Fortner (UTC) (Dec 4-0)
184: Matthew Waddell (UTC) over Zach Braunagel (ILLI) (Dec 8-6)
197: Rodney Jones (UTC) over Matt Wroblewski (ILLI) (MD 14-4)
285: Luke Luffman (ILLI) over Grayson Walthall (UTC) (MD 17-3)

Army 18 - Chattanooga 12

125: Fabian Gutierrez (UTC) over Trey Chalifoux (ARMY) (Dec 3-1)
133: Lane Peters (ARMY) over Franco Valdes (UTC) (Dec 8-4)
141: Corey Shie (ARMY) over Aidan Murphy (UTC) (Dec 5-2)
149: Tanner Smith (UTC) over PJ Ogunsanya (ARMY) (Dec 2-0)
157: Luke Weiland (ARMY) over George Carpenter (UTC) (Dec 6-1)
165: Andrew Nicholson (UTC) over Mason Smith (ARMY) (Dec 5-4)
174: Ben Harvey (ARMY) over Hunter Fortner (UTC) (Dec 1-0)
184: Matthew Waddell (UTC) over Luke Hodsden (ARMY) (Dec 11-5)
197: Alex Hopkins (ARMY) over Rodney Jones (UTC) (Dec 8-2)
285: Robert Heald (ARMY) over Grayson Walthall (UTC) (Dec 5-3)

Army 19 – Illinois 15

125: Trey Chalifoux (ARMY) over Justin Cardani (ILLI) (Dec 7-2)
133: No. 10 Travis Piotrowski (ILLI) over Lane Peters (ARMY) (Dec 5-1)
141: Corey Shie (ARMY) over We Rachal (ILLI) (Fall 0:42)
149: PJ Ogunsanya (ARMY) over Mousa Jodeh (ILLI) (MD 11-2)
157: Luke Weiland (ARMY) over No. 20 Eric Barone (ILLI) (Dec 8-3)
165: Dan Braunagel (ILLI) over Mason Smith (ARMY) (Dec 12-5)
174: No. 8 Ben Harvey (ARMY) over No. 15 Joseph Gunther (ILLI) (Dec 7-3)
184: Zach Braunagel (ILLI) over Luke Hodsden (ARMY) (Dec 6-2)
197: Matt Wroblewski (ILLI) over Alex Hopkins (ARMY) (SV-1 3-1)
285: Luke Luffman (ILLI) over Robert Heald (ARMY) (Dec 8-5)

Edited by Sommers

logo-compact.svg

Sunday’s dual against UT-Chattanooga will reveal more about Iowa wrestling’s plans for 133, 141 pounds this season

CODY GOODWIN | HAWK CENTRAL
7:45 p.m. CST Nov. 14, 2019

Iowa coach Tom Brands: 'This kicks us off, and we're excited'

The Iowa wrestling team hosts UT-Chattanooga on Sunday at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
CODY GOODWIN, [email protected]

IOWA CITY, Ia. — The Iowa wrestling team opens its season this Sunday against UT-Chattanooga, and while the Hawkeyes return eight of last year’s starters and will field a lineup with seven past All-Americans, there’s still one question regarding the lineup.

Who’s starting at 133 and 141?

The answer, Iowa coach Tom Brands said, will be revealed Sunday.

“We have options,” Brands said Thursday, “and we don’t even know really where we’re plugging those options in yet. It’s Thursday. Tomorrow’s Friday. We’ll know a lot more tomorrow, but we may not know until Saturday.

“We’re not in a hurry to figure it out. We know that we have a lot of firepower. We have to make sure we’re putting the right guys in the right places to get them ready for what’s down the road.”

Let’s walk through this.

Iowa head coach Tom Brands watches a match during the second day of preseason Hawkeye wrestling matches, Friday, Nov., 8, 2019, inside the Dan Gable Wrestling Complex at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.

Iowa head coach Tom Brands watches a match during the second day of preseason Hawkeye wrestling matches, Friday, Nov., 8, 2019, inside the Dan Gable … Show more 

JOSEPH CRESS/IOWA CITY PRESS-CITIZEN

Iowa released its probable lineups early Thursday. Austin DeSanto, a returning All-American, along with senior Paul Glynn and transfer Gavin Teasdale are all listed at 133.

At 141, there's DeSanto, again, as well as junior Carter Happel.

There are plenty of options here, is the thing. Brands could throw out a number of combinations, assuming they all weigh in at their lowest possible weights Sunday. It’s also important to remember these are just the “probables,” so things could still change.

DeSanto spoke with the media after Brands on Thursday. He didn’t reveal much, either.

“Wherever they need me, I’ll go,” said DeSanto, who went 23-6 and placed fifth at the NCAA Championships last season. “I’m just worried about my wrestling right now, and getting better.”

When the Hawkeyes hosted their media day in snowy Mount Vernon two weeks ago, Brands made the comment that Teasdale would be on the mat for Iowa’s opener.

“I mean, why not?” he said then. “Let’s just put it out there.

“Here’s the thing: The guy can wrestle.”

When asked what him wrestling might mean for DeSanto, Brands said then, “We’re going to put our best team on the mat.”

Iowa's Gavin Teasdale looks to head coach Tom Brands during the first day of preseason Hawkeye wrestling matches, Thursday, Nov., 7, 2019, inside the Dan Gable Wrestling Complex at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.

Iowa's Gavin Teasdale looks to head coach Tom Brands during the first day of preseason Hawkeye wrestling matches, Thursday, Nov., 7, 2019, inside the Dan … Show more 

► PODCAST: Introducing In The Room, a wrestling podcast from the Register

It would be reasonable to assume that means Teasdale will go 133 and DeSanto will go 141. But the probables revealed many other possibilities.

Brands continued Thursday with this:

“Paul Glynn will factor into this year’s lineup at 133. We have several options there, with Teasdale and DeSanto … (but) we don’t know what we’re doing yet. We have to talk to Teasdale and Paul Glynn and Austin. Those are ongoing conversations.”

DeSanto is the proven commodity — a two-time NCAA qualifier with a podium finish who could still take a redshirt … but if he wrestles Sunday, that possibility is gone, at least for this season.

Teasdale is not yet proven, but he did win four Pennsylvania state titles, so there's high upside. He also beat Glynn, who has 24 career victories and reached the semifinals of the Midlands Championships last season, in Iowa’s preseason matchups last week.

At 141, Happel has 15 career wins and a sixth-place Midlands finish from the 2017-18 season. Max Murin is the returner here, an NCAA quarterfinalist and bloodround participant, but he’s not listed on the probables.

Iowa's Austin DeSanto and assistant coach Ryan Morningstar watch matches during the first day of preseason Hawkeye wrestling matches, Thursday, Nov., 7, 2019, inside the Dan Gable Wrestling Complex at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa.

Iowa's Austin DeSanto and assistant coach Ryan Morningstar watch matches during the first day of preseason Hawkeye wrestling matches, Thursday, Nov., 7, 2019, inside the … Show more 

► WRESTLING MAILBAG: The season is here, finally, and it's going to be fun

This funky logjam is a luxury, of course. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. With Iowa aiming for its first NCAA team title in a decade this season, Brands is trying to decide his best lineup for the 2019-20 postseason, where this year will be defined.

So Sunday’s dual will be revealing. And no matter who gets the nod, at whatever weight, Brands made his expectations clear.

“If I’m a guy that's representing the weight class, how can I add to the environment?” Brands said. “Dull? Or explosive and entertaining? Really, that’s what it comes down to, and a lot of times, it’s a choice. Most of the time — all the time — it’s a choice.

“A lot of expectations. A lot of buzz about the team. A lot of season tickets were sold. I’ll say it again, 'How are you going to add to that environment?' That’s the message.”

Cody Goodwin covers wrestling and high school sports for the Des Moines Register. Follow him on Twitter at @codygoodwin.

Science-Hill-looks-to-continue-strong-ma
previous.png
Science Hill's Perry Tate locks up his opponent during Saturday's preseason duals.
Science Hill's Perry Tate ties up his opponent during Saturday's preseason duals.
Science Hill's Jeremiah Hise gain the advantage in his match during Saturday's preseason duals.
Science Hill's Perry Tate locks up his opponent during Saturday's preseason duals.
Science Hill's Perry Tate ties up his opponent during Saturday's preseason duals.
next.png

Jeff Birchfield

1 / 3 Science Hill's Perry Tate ties up his opponent during Saturday's preseason duals.

jbirchfield.jpg
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING

Science Hill looks to continue strong mat tradition

JEFF BIRCHFIELD • UPDATED TODAY AT 7:47 PM

Traditionally, the top high school wrestling programs in Tennessee have been located in the Chattanooga and Nashville areas. Over the past decade, Science Hill can stake its claim to being right there with them.

As coach Jimmy Miller pointed out, the Hilltoppers have finished in the four in the state duals for seven of the past 10 years. This year appears to be another loaded lineup as the two-time defending Region 1 champions hosted their preseason duals on Saturday.

“When you put that singlet on, there is a lot of expectation, a lot of responsibility that goes along with it,” Miller said. “It’s not just a uniform. As a program, we are trying to stay where we’ve been where we’ve made seven of the last 10 state semifinals.”

Stay informed. Sign up for daily email newsletters
Two-time state champion Chase Diehl, perhaps the best wrestler ever to come out of Northeast Tennessee, has graduated. Still, the Hilltoppers return five state medalists including Braxton Mann, who was state runner-up at the 126-pound weight class last season.

Mann was wrestling at a much heavier weight during the duals, but Miller pointed out most of the guys weren’t at the weights they will wrestle during the season. Other returning medalists from last season are Joseph Frye and Jared Harter. Tyler Seeley was a state medalist in 2017 and also a standout on Saturday.

“Tyler Seeley had a good match with a good kid out of Knoxville,” Miller said. “We have a lot of our seniors like Jared Harter and Joseph Frye who are moving right along. Those are the kids we expect a lot out of.”

It’s a strong lineup throughout with Hayden Bodo, Gio Demetrikopolos and Tripp Miller bringing experience at some of the lower weights.

Nick Lane and Jahkye Aples have good athleticism in the middle weights, while the Hilltoppers had some new names working in the heavier classes Saturday.

They included Perry Tate, Levi Grunder, Corbin Gerard, Tyler Nelson and Keimel Redford.

“It was the first time we got on the mat and they were tired of going against each other,” Miller said. “Levi Grunder and our heavyweight Keimel Redford, they’re a couple who we’re expecting a lot of them. The kids are finding what is expected of them on a daily basis when they represent our program and our high school.

“Today wasn’t about whether we were wrestling good or bad. It was about what are we doing and not doing right and what we need to work on.”

#2 Iowa Wrestling vs UT-Chattanooga
#2 Iowa Wrestling vs UT-Chattanooga

large_Black_Heart_Gold_Pants_Full.45023.pngLACK HEART GOLD

#2 Iowa Wrestling vs UT-Chattanooga PANTS

There’s nothing better than a rainy Sunday afternoon beat down.

By trez1313  Nov 16, 2019, 9:00am CST

Iowa v Penn StatePhoto by Hunter Martin/Getty Images

Wrestling a Hawkeye is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don’t quit when you are tired, you quit when the Hawkeye is tired. Which won’t happen so you might as well quit.

-Gable the Conquerer

If need to catch up on the season preview before the dual: 125 - 157lbs and 165 - 285lbs.

The time is here. The moment we’ve all be waiting for. The first dual of the season!

On Sunday afternoon our #2 Hawkeyes officially begin their “Kick-#### Tour” and take their initial step towards their first NCAA championship in a decade. They battle The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Mockingbirds on the sacred mat inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena at 2PM God’s Time.

However, this isn’t the only #### whoopin’ our boys will be handing out this weekend. Tom and Terry Brands are splitting time and sending 18 of our brawlers to the Grandview and Luther Opens in an attempt to throttle all three sporting events. I like our odds.

Hawkeyesports released the match notes. We don’t have much of a history against the Mocs, but the small backstory we do have is filled with 100% dominance, which shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.

The History:

The Hawks have only clashed with the Mocs three times before and are undefeated at 3-0, outscoring the southern opponents by about 5,000-3. All jokes aside, it’s been an extremely lopsided affair since the debut of the series back in 2011, but it should be known that Chattanooga has scored points in the NCAA tournament every year except 1990 and have 12 All-Americans to their name.

Terry Brands was also the head coach of the Mocs from 2003-2005. There’s little doubt in my mind that these duals are happening because of the relationship Terry has built with his former school and that’s pretty cool.

CHATTANOOGA (1-2)

The Mocs have had a rough start to the young season and sit at 1-2. After a decisive win against Southern Illinois Edwardsville, they’ve dropped back-to-back duals to Army and Illinois. Sandwiched in between those two duals they also competed in the Southeast Open where all ten of their wrestlers made it onto the podium, including two in the finals. Most of their guys have already wrestled several times this year. They’ve already accumulated a lot mat time early on, so they will be amped up and ready to go.

Per wrestlestat only #22 Fabian Gutierrez (125lbs) lands inside the top 25. But if we expand our rankings, there are three more that breach the rankings on trackwrestling: #21 Tanner Smith (149lbs), #21 Matthew Waddell (184lbs), and #24 Rodney Jones (285lbs).

IOWA (0-0):

At the time of this writing the Hawks have yet to wrestle, but there will be a few potential starters going to the Grandview and Luther Opens on Saturday. Gavin Teasdale (133lbs), Max Murin (149lbs), and #9 Cash Wilcke (197lbs) are attending the Luther Open and all are in the running to crack the starting lineup, but we’ll see if they take to the mat on Sunday. Perhaps Tom Brands is just using these early events to get his guys primed or to get a better look at what he has to work with. Perhaps none of these guys go during the dual and even more questions will be asked.

Screen_Shot_2019_11_15_at_7.56.28_PM.png@codygoodwin

Teasdale and Wilcke are both listed in the probable lineup, so I’m inclined to think that we’re going to get to see them take on their Chattanooga counterparts. If Max somehow takes the mat we could potentially be fielding ten ranked guys, but even without him we are heavily favored and quite frankly, should shut these guys out and keep them off the scoreboard.

Key Matchups:

125: #1 Spencer Lee vs #22 Fabian Fabian Gutierrez. In all respects to Gutierrez, this shouldn’t be a match and I fully expect Spencer to tech fall or pin him by the second period… if not before. I’m listing this because I’m being a Nervous Pervous and want to see how Lee’s knee is doing. He’s been wearing his brace during practice and we’re all dying to see if the knee is free for his first match of the season.

149: #3 Pat Lugo vs #21 Tanner Smith. Smith is a 2019 NCAA qualifier and has wrestled some competitive matches in his young career. Though he doesn’t have any signature wins to date, he’s fully capable of keeping this close. For Lugo, I want to see him wrestle like he’s ranked 3rd. He needs to go out, be aggressive, and push this thing into bonus point range. If he breaks this open against a ranked opponent, it could be a good indicator for how this season could go.

184: #9 Cash Wilcke vs #21 Matthew Waddell. This matchup is exactly the same as 149. Waddell is a solid advisory, but one that Wilcke should handle soundly. As I’ve mentioned in our season previews though, Wilcke has a tendency to keep things close and seems to be comfortable wrestling at a slower pace. However, this should be a match he blows open and if he can make a habit of pushing the pace and striving for bonus points it’ll be a good momentum builder moving forward.

Projected Lineup:

125: #1 Spencer Lee (0-0) vs. #22 Fabian Gutierrez (4-2)

133: #2 Austin DeSanto (0-0) // Gavin Teasdale (0-0) // Paul Glynn (0-0) vs. Falco Valdez (2-5) // Wade Cummings (2-2)

141: #2 Austin DeSanto (0-0) // Carter Happel (0-0) vs. Adrian Murphy (0-4)

149: #3 Pat Lugo (0-0) vs. #21 Tanner Smith (4-2) // Mason Wallace (3-3)

157: #2 Kaleb Young (0-0) vs. George Carpenter (4-5) // Tyler Shilson (2-2)

165: #3 Alex Marinelli (0-0) vs. Drew Nicholson (4-4)

174: #3 Michael Kemerer (0-0) vs. Hunter Fortner (2-4)

184: #9 Cash Wilcke (0-0) vs. #21 Matthew Waddell (5-1)

197: #7 Jacob Warner (0-0) vs. #24 Rodney Jones (3-3)

285: #12 Tony Cassioppi (0-0) vs. Grayson Walthall (2-5)

1.jpg?mode=crop&width=394&height=221
Edited by Sommers

lg.php?bannerid=127&campaignid=117&zonei
cdb-nameplate.png
Toggle navigationMain menu

Wrestling Bears ready for state runs

2019-20 BRADLEY CENTRAL BEARS
2019-20 BRADLEY CENTRAL BEARS
PHOTO BY SHERI VINCENT
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:19 am
By JOE CANNON
Despite losing half of his starting lineup from last season's TSSAA state runner-up squad, Bradley Central wrestling coach Ben Smith feels good heading into the new mat season.

"We lost a lot of firepower, in (state medalists) DJ (Johnson) and Wesley (DeVaney), plus a good senior class, with several guys that were starters," he related recently.

"We've got half (seven) of our starting lineup back, including a couple of state medalists (seniors Ethan Wilson and Glen O'Daniel) and five other state qualifiers."

Starting its 46th year, the winningest public school wrestling program in Tennessee history is looking to add to its 26 state championship tally. The Bears are also hoping to increase their number of 69 individual state titles and 194 medalists.

Having started in 1973, the Bradley program also has something new this season — a pair of female wrestlers. Junior Abigail Beasley and sophomore Brianna Pontes are the first two female wrestlers from any of the three county schools and will be going after individual state titles in the TSSAA Girls Wrestling competition.

"We've had some girls come out before but after a few days of training quit," explained Coach Smith. "We didn't want to do it, if it was just going to be a novelty thing, but these girls are legit. They're tough.

"These girls are both part our (BCHS) JROTC program and are serious about wanting to compete, so we are going to work with them and get them a schedule and hopefully help them qualify for the state tournament," explained Coach Smith.

"Girls' wrestling is big in Upper East Tennessee, plus the Knoxville and Nashville areas, while it is slowly working its way to other areas. McMinn (County) has a few girls and Tullahoma has some.

"Abigail was in my weight lifting class and we got to talking and she wanted to try out. Brianna, who has trained in jiu-jitsu with her dad all of her life, came out as well, which gave them someone to practice against, because they are close in weight. They get after it in practice and are fun to watch.

"Abigail will wrestle in the 119/112 classes, while Brianna, who is part of the (JROTC) Raider obstacle course team, will be at 112/103 divisions. She's scrappy," he added.

"Girls' wrestling is growing, and with these girls wanting to do it, we wanted to be ahead of the curve."

While girls are allowed to compete against boys in middle school, the TSSAA has separate programs at the high school level.

As far as the boys' competition this season, Smith says the usual suspects will be strong again. 

"Science Hill has the most state tournament points returning, while Cleveland, Wilson Central and us are right behind them," stated Smith, who is a former Bear wrestler himself and who is entering his ninth season at the storied program's helm. He served eight as an assistant under Coach Steve Logsdon, before the legendary matman retired. 

"Cleveland lost a little more firepower than we did. They have two state champions back, but no other medalists, and we have two medalists, so we're pretty even.

"Even going through last year, we were looking forward to this year, because we had such a good freshman class last year and a big successful class coming. We were pretty sophomore and junior heavy last year, too," he explained.

"This team is going to be a little bit different in the fact we might not have as many seniors in the lineup like we usually have, which from a coaching perspective is never a bad thing, because you have younger kids in there getting experience."

Smith and his staff are very confident with the wrestlers they will put on the mats this season.

"I think some of the youth we're going to have coming into the lineup has a lot of potential. We're going to have some freshmen and other first-time starters as sophomores in the lineup, I'm loosely projecting. We haven't had our challenge matches yet and won't until the week before we open," related Smith of this week's battles for varsity starting spots.

Bradley will begin the new campaign by defending its championship title in the Huskie Duals at Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) High School the day before Thanksgiving.

"We open then so our guys can enjoy the Thanksgiving weekend without having to worry too much about their weight," he explained. 

Bradley comes into the TSSAA mat season ranked fourth in the PinTN.com Preseason Poll. The Bears are behind top-ranked Cleveland, No. 2 Science Hill and Wilson Central, which is third.

"Last year we were ranked fifth in the preseason poll and ended up second (TSSAA State Duals runner-up). This year we're ranked fourth, so hopefully we can move up three places again," joked Smith.

"I feel like our lineup this year is a little more solid top to bottom, plus we have a little more depth. I'm excited about what we're going to put on the mat this year.   

"Our two state medalists (Wilson and O'Daniel) can stay at 106 and 113, if we want them to, or we've got a couple of really good freshmen coming in that will allow us to do some bumping up down there, if we want," he explained.

Wilson, who went 33-10 last season, is ranked No. 2 (in the preseason Pin.TN individual poll) at 106 after finishing fourth there last year. O'Daniel, who was 32-14 last season, is second at 120, after his sixth-place finish at 113 at last year's state.

"Ethan is second behind the McGavock kid (Chris Calvin) that he went to a two-point match with at the state last year. I'm not so sure that kid is going to be at 106. He's a big kid." related Smith.

"Ethan is not structurally big, but he's thick. I really do think Ethan can be a state champion this year. He's always been a little undersized at 70, 80 and 90 pounds but this year he's walking around at 115 pounds. He's ripped with only about 5% body fat.

"The thing I like about him this year is he's taking some ownership and leadership in the (training/practice) room. He's working harder," the Bear mentor proclaimed. 

"He's got two really good freshmen (Ethan Lipsy and Bryson Terrell), that are Cadet and School Boy national team guys, that are pushing him.

"Both of those guys are tough. They have very bright futures. They love the sport and have national team experience. There are high accolades for this whole group of freshmen coming in," commented Smith.

"Depending on who we're facing, if we need to, we can plug one or both of those guys in and bump Ethan and Glen (O'Daniel) up.

"Glen is a product of good practice habits. He goes hard in practice and that shows in his matches. He know how to wrestle. He's tough. He's come a long way," the coach praised.

"Glen is a much bigger 113 this year, but I don't think it's going to be a struggle for him to make that weight."

Other returning state qualifiers are seniors Gavin Sewell; Gavin Hughes, who is listed at sixth in the preseason poll; and Tyrone McDonald, who is second in the 182 rankings; plus junior Austin Lynn and sophomore Austin McClure.

"Sewell stepped in for us in 2017-18 when our returning heavyweight decided not to come out for his senior season. He was just a little over 220 (pounds) then. He took a beating that year against a lot of bigger, experienced guys. He came back last year and did a great job for us and qualified for the state at 220," Smith related.

"He's tough. He's one of my favorite kids I've coached here. He joined the Army last year with the early enrollment, so he spent the summer at boot camp and will be heading out right after he graduates in May. He's a stud. He's resilient.

"Hughes has been to two state tournaments and we feel like he has underachieved there," the Bear coach assessed. "He's had to cut a lot of weight in the past and we think that kind of hurt him there at the end of last season. He's had a pretty good preseason and the first six, seven days we've been on the mat, he's been getting after it. He's wrestling like a senior should," Smith said of his potential 126 or 132 starter.

"We had Father Ryan in here Saturday (Nov. 9) and got to see him against some of their D-II studs and he did well. We are relying on him. He's a good kid that wrestles the 'Bradley style' of wrestling. He should be a state medalist before he gets out of here.

"McDonald loves the sport and studies it. He's been going down and working out with some of the Baylor guys on his own to get better," related Smith. "I'm really proud of his offseason work. He has next level (collegiate) potential. He was a state qualifier at 182 last year, but may drop down to 170 this year. We expect a lot of points out of him this year.

"Lynn stepped in for the region (traditionals) last year after our starter, Skylar Bradley blew out his knee completely. He was just over 142 (pounds) and stepped up to 160, placing fourth at the region to qualify for the state. He won a match over there (in Franklin). He'll probably end up starting at 145 or 152 for us this year.

"He's a product our our Pride Kids Club and Lake Forest (Middle School) programs. He's had a great offseason and went to a lot of tournaments. He has state medal potential. He's hard working and my kind of 'Bradley' kid," proclaimed Smith.

"I'm real excited about McClure. He was one of just two freshmen in the state heavyweight division last year. He qualified out of a tough region with Jayden Langford (Walker Valley) the state runner-up and Titus Swafford (Cleveland) finishing fourth, plus the Ooltewah kid was really tough.

"His youth showed some at the state tournament last year, but he's pushed hard in the offseason, plus he played football this fall, which I think has helped him. He's a big kid at 6-foot-4, 290. He's going to be tough. A lot of people may sleep on him, but he's athletic and can move," the coach commented.

The veteran "Papa Bear," who will be a real "Papa" before the season is over, is also expecting some good things from some other wrestlers like senior Cole Cooper (126/132) and junior Alex Dees (138/145), plus freshmen Luke Belcher (ranked sixth in the 126-pound preseason poll), Wade Brooks (145), Knox Watson (160/170), Landon Price (160/170) and Brody Morgan (195).

"Our challenge matches are going to be so good, you could sell admission to them. We've got a lot of kids jockeying for a spot in the lineup," the Bear coach projected.

Having been in the State Duals finals 20 of 21 tournament appearances, with a 67-7 overall record there, Bradley hopes to be going for a 15th TSSAA duals crown again in February.     

"We got one of the toughest schedules I've ever put together," proclaimed Smith.

"We've got five home matches, including Cleveland, Baylor and Father Ryan. We're wrestling out-of-state tournaments at Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) and Mountain View in Atlanta. We're going to the Tullahoma tournament to face some Middle Tennessee competition and referees, plus we're going back to the Father Ryan and Johnson City (Science Hill) tournaments.

"This schedule may not give us an impressive record, but it will get us ready for our big region match with Soddy-Daisy on Jan. 28 (which is when he and wife Sarah's first baby is due) and the postseason," he explained. 

That match will determine whether the Bears or Trojans will have to face Cleveland in a win-or-go home region semifinal match.

Comments

NO COMMENTS ON THIS STORY | PLEASE LOG IN TO COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE

WELCOME! Login | Subscribe
fuof.png
ai.php?filename=ahlbergaudiology_railad_
lg.php?bannerid=123&campaignid=115&zonei
ai.php?filename=bradleyessentialmargin.j
lg.php?bannerid=102&campaignid=99&zoneid

Tennessee public notices

state-notices.png
PROVIDED AS A PUBLIC SERVICE BY THE NEWSPAPERS OF TENNESSEE
lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=33
© 2019 CLEVELAND NEWSPAPERS, INC. | HOME | CONTACT US | SUBSCRIBE | ARCHIVE | PRIVACY POLICY

Signal Mountain junior wrestler Daniel Uhorchuk commits to West Point

Signal Mountain junior wrestler Daniel Uhorchuk commits to West Point ... From an early age Daniel Uhorchuk would watch the NCAA wrestling ... With the chance to become a four-time state champion wrestler, he says the key is to simply ... Contact Patrick MacCoon at pmaccoon@timesfreepress.com.
Edited by Sommers

Some good insights from wrestler (Coach) that used his head over muscle....

Farewell to Funky: Former coach reflects on Askren's career after retirement

• By Anderson Kimball
    • Nov 19, 2019 Updated Nov 20, 2019

Ben Askren wins in MMA debut

Ben Askren celebrates after defeating Josh Flowers via TKO in his professional MMA debut Feb. 7 in Columbia.

JOON HYOUNG KIM/Missourian
TownNews.com Content Exchange

Ben Askren surprised the MMA community by announcing his retirement from the sport Monday, ending a storied career for one of Missouri’s greatest athletes.

Askren’s career blossomed as a wrestler at Missouri. After winning two state championships in high school, he joined coach Brian Smith in 2003. He also worked with Mike Eierman, a former volunteer assistant at MU and club coach, for four All-American seasons in the 174-pound weight class.

“He knew in his head that he was going to do some special things,” Eierman said. “And it’s just exciting to be around someone like that.”

Askren’s style of wrestling, called “Funk”, is a higher-risk style of wrestling that is more reactionary than traditional wrestling. Askren brought that style to Columbia with Eierman, who noticed how Askren used that style to make up for his lack of physical gifts.

“He was going to outsmart you and he was going to pin you, as opposed to getting into a muscle or an athletic fight,” Eierman said. “What he was the best at was using his brain and how he thought about things and how to strategically put you in positions where, you know, you’re in trouble.”

Askren used this style to become one of the greatest wrestlers in collegiate history. He accumulated a 153-8 record at Missouri, winning a national championship in each of his last two years with an 87-match unbeaten streak during that span.

The “Funk” style is something Eierman, a former wrestler at Nebraska, passed down to J’den Cox and Jaydin Eierman as a youth wrestling coach in mid-Missouri.

“The whole country needs to start wrestling kind of the way (Askren) was doing things,” Eierman said. “He approached it with a mindset and an understanding of what to do as opposed to just go out there and physically, you know, get into a fight with somebody and wrestle hard.”

Askren carried that style into professional wrestling, where he was 19-2-1 in MMA, becoming a ONE welterweight champion before a 1-2 record in UFC. Eierman still saw Askren use a style that would work for many different wrestlers.

“What was working for him, I knew could work for everybody else,” Eierman said. “I kind of changed the coaching as far as we really got to get, you know, physically, we gotta run sprints, and we gotta lift weights to we just need to be in the wrestling room, and we really need to go to work.”

What’s next for Askren in retirement? Eierman thinks coaching might be a good step for the MU alum.

Askren and his brother, Max, who won a national championship at Missouri in 2009, lead the Askren Wrestling Academy in three separate Wisconsin locations. They coach wrestlers at all levels and trained current Missouri wrestler Peyton Mocco while he was a high schooler in West Allis, Wisconsin.

“We definitely need coaches like him in the sport,” Eierman said. “Without a doubt we need him. We need that type of intelligence and that type of coaching.”

This article originally ran on columbiamissourian.com.

Mobile

Mobile
  •  
  •  

Aidan

Photo Credit: Dale Rutemeyer
Sophomore Aidan Murphy scored a win at 141 tonight.

Mocs Score Shutout Win at Davidson

UTC opens SoCon action with a 47-0 road victory over the Wildcats.
Nov. 22, 2019 Wrestling

STORY LINKS

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team scored a 47-0 win at Davidson to open Southern Conference action tonight.  The Mocs improve to 2-3 overall and 1-0 in league action, while the Wildcats drop to 0-3 and 0-2 in conference duals. 

Tonight was the first shutout for UTC since a 49-0 win over Cumberland on Nov. 14, 2015.  It was also the first shutout in a SoCon match since a 46-0 win over Campbell on Jan. 18, 2015. 

"Our guys came out and they dictated each match individually," said UTC head coach Kyle Ruschell.  "They were aggressive and looking to score a lot of points.  It was good to see them making adjustments and showing improvements over last week's match."

UTC posted bonus points in eight of its 10 wins tonight, including four pins.  Junior Fabian Gutierrez got the action started with a first-period fall over Anthony Rautmann at 125.  Junior Wade Cummings followed with a 5-3 decision over Kyle Gorant at 133.  Two takedowns in the first period gave Cummings a lead that he held on to for the rest of the match. 

Sophomore Aidan Murphy broke into the win column for the first time this season with a 6-5 decision over David Loniewski at 141.  Murphy also built a lead early with a pair of takedowns in the first three minutes.  He held off a late charge by Loniewski, who scored a takedown of his own in the third frame, to give the Mocs a 12-0 lead.

"Aidan came out and got to the guy's legs right away," said Ruschell.  "We knew that he had some upper body throws, but for the most part we stayed away from that.  We got up early and made it tough on him."

Sophomore Tanner Smith followed with a Tech Fall at 149, while sophomore Tyler Shilson added a major decision at 157.  That gave the Mocs a commanding 23-0 lead at the halfway point. 

Sophomore Andrew Nicholson added a major at 165, followed by back-to-back pins from sophomores Hunter Fortner and Matthew Waddell at 174 and 184, respectively.  Senior Rodney Jones posted a major decision at 197, while sophomore Grayson Walthall closed out the dual with a pin at heavyweight. 

"The team really got behind Grayson in the last match tonight," added Ruschell.  "Grayson did a great job pushing the pace and wore his guy out.  He caught him on his back and the whole team was really happy for him.

Up next for the Mocs is a Sunday showdown against No. 19 North Carolina in Chapel Hill.  Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. and links to follow along via TrackWrestling and the ACC Network Extra are on the wrestling schedule page on GoMocs.com. 

Chattanooga 47 – Davidson 0
Belk Arena – Davidson, N.C.
Friday – Nov. 22, 2019

125: Fabian Gutierrez (UTC) over Anthony Rautmann (Davidson) (Fall 1:45)
133: Wade Cummings (UTC) over Kyle Gorant (Davidson) (Dec 5-3)
141: Aidan Murphy (UTC) over David Loniewski (Davidson) (Dec 6-5)
149: Tanner Smith (UTC) over Will Baldwin (Davidson) (TF 18-1 6:45)
157: Tyler Shilson (UTC) over Hunter Costa (Davidson) (MD 15-3)
165: Andrew Nicholson (UTC) over Noah Satterfield (Davidson) (MD 24-10)
174: Hunter Fortner (UTC) over Steven Newell (Davidson) (Fall 3:33)
184: Matthew Waddell (UTC) over Lachlan Rosato (Davidson) (Fall 1:21)
197: Rodney Jones (UTC) over Conor Fenn (Davidson) (MD 11-3)
285: Grayson Walthall (UTC) over Mitchell Trigg (Davidson) (Fall 4:37)

North Ga news...

WRESTLING: Gordon Lee takes fourth place at North Murray

Gordon Lee Trojans

The Gordon Lee High School wrestling team traveled to Chatsworth on Saturday for the North Murray Duals and finished the day with a 2-3 record and fourth place overall.

The Trojans defeated Murray County (45-29) and Ridgeland (48-30), but suffered losses to Dade County (54-36), Northwest Whitfield (64-18) and Cedartown (54-24).
Individually, Hunter Burnett went 5-0, splitting matches between 120 and 126 pounds, while Penn Askew also went 5-0 as he wrestled at both 132 and 138. Tomy Duke also wrestled at 132 and 138 and finished 2-0 on the day. Justin Cruise and Austin Crowley split matches at 220. Cruz was 2-0, while Crowley went 2-1.

Edited by Sommers

No. 19 North Carolina Edge Moc Wrestlers 22-15

Sunday, November 24, 2019
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team battled hard in a 22-15 loss at No. 19 North Carolina today.  The Mocs split their weekend road trip with today’s loss and Friday’s win at Davidson to fall to 2-4 overall.  UNC improved to 2-1 in dual action this season.

The Mocs opened with a big win from junior Fabian Gutierrez over Jeremiah Derby at 125.  Gutierrez ran out to a 10-0 lead after the first period and finished with a 16-0 technical fall.  That gave Chattanooga a 5-0 lead in the team race. 

The Tar Heels took the next two matches, including a four-point major decision at 141, to grab a 7-5 lead.  Sophomore Tanner Smith had an impressive 9-0 major of his own at 149.  A takedown and back points in the second gave Smith a 7-0 lead over Michael Goldfeder that he built on in the final frame. 

UNC took the next three matches to run out to a 19-9 lead.  That included a six-point pin at 174.

The Mocs tried to mount a comeback, beginning with sophomore Matthew Waddell at 184.  He posted a 9-3 decision over Joey Mazzara to close the Carolina lead to 19-12. 

Senior Rodney Jones followed with an 8-2 win to pull the Mocs to within striking distance at 19-15 with one match left.  UNC was able to close out the dual with a win at heavyweight. 

Up next for the Mocs is a home match against Ohio on Sunday, Dec.