Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

The Cleveland Banner...

CHS to host 'Pin Cancer' event

Posted Saturday, January 11, 2020 7:00 pm
Special to the Banner
The Cleveland High School wrestling team has officially joined the fight against cancer.

Head coach Joey Knox announced the current TSSAA state champions will host a special "Pin Cancer Night" at the Jones Wrestling Center on Thursday. Doors open at 5 p.m., so a special dinner can be served.

Wearing special pink-trimmed uniforms, the top-ranked Raiders will wrestle rival Soddy-Daisy, beginning at 6 p.m. All proceeds raised from the event will go toward the Pin Cancer Wrestle for a Cure organization. 

"Everyone's lives have been impacted by cancer," said Knox. "Wrestlers are tough, but nobody is tougher than those battling this horrible disease. This fundraiser is a small way for our program to stand with those whose lives have been impacted by cancer."

Those driving by the Village Green Town Center on Keith Street will notice the
lights around the historic downtown landmark have a new color. The typical
white lights are now bright pink.

"By turning our lights pink, we're sending a message that the Jones family, and
the wrestlers at Cleveland High School, are united in the fight against breast cancer," said businessman Allan Jones.

Josh Bosken, head coach of Cleveland's Higher Calling Youth Wrestling Club,
said the Jones Foundation and Bank of Cleveland have always been strong in the fight against cancer.

"They stepped up right away to sponsor the event," he said. "These sponsors
join us in emphasizing that together we will raise more money than we ever could
alone."

Pin Cancer is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization aimed at uniting the wrestling
world in the fight against cancer. The organization was founded in 2011 by former New Jersey wrestler Dan Tramontozzi after finding out his mother was diagnosed with Stage 3C Ovarian Cancer.

"Being affected first-hand, and still heavily involved with the wrestling community, Dan wanted to unite the sport and form an organization that could help inspire awareness and raise funds to support cancer care and research," said Bosken. "He turned to his college roommate and long-time friend, Jared Ferreira, who thought the story behind Dan¹s plan was compelling and motivating."

Since inception, the organization has raised more than $2 million and proceeds are donated to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, according to the organization¹s website.

Those wishing to make a donation prior to the event may visit PinCancer.org or call Bosken for more information at 513-646-4435.
20200111-190051-phpA0L5WW.jpg

Edited by Sommers

On 1/11/2020 at 8:06 AM, Sommers said:
previous.png
Science Hill's Keimel Redford and Bradley Central's Austin McClure are locked up during Friday's heavyweight match.
Science Hill's Keimel Redford and Bradley Central's Austin McClure are locked up during Friday's heavyweight match.
next.png

Jeff Birchfield

1 / 2 Science Hill's Keimel Redford and Bradley Central's Austin McClure are locked up during Friday's heavyweight match.

JCP.jpg
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING

Bears defeat Hilltoppers in wrestling showdown

JOHNSON CITY PRESS • JAN 10, 2020 AT 11:06 PM

Bradley Central defeated Science Hill 40-30 Friday evening in an early season showdown of top state wrestling programs at the Moffat duals.

The Hilltoppers won five matches against the Bears at the new Science Hill Gymnasium. William Medina started off the evening with a pinfall victory at the 170-pound weight class. Three other Science Hill wrestlers — Braxton Mann at 138, Jahkye Aples at 145 and Joseph Frye at 152 — won their matches by pinfall as well. Jared Harter prevailed by forfeit at 160.

Science Hill came up just short in the three heavier weight classes. Keimel Redford lost a 3-0 decision to the Bears’ Austin McClure in their 285 match. Kain Rogers at 220 and Levi Grunder at 195 fell in 4-0 decisions.

Stay informed. Sign up for daily email newsletters
Science Hill coach Jimmy Miller believes Friday’s match is one the Hilltoppers can build on.

“We had some seniors step up to get us in good spots there,” Miller said. “Even our young kids are taking kids to decisions and not giving up points. I felt we wrestled well in spots.

“We knew if we wanted to come out on top, we had to find ways to keep some matches close in the upper weights and lower weights. We just weren’t able to get the win.”

Fine TV coverage including girls wrestling and Rossview Wrestling with their 60-6 victory...

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/high-school-sports/topper-wrestlers-dig-early-hole-fall-to-bradley-central-40-30/

Topper wrestlers dig early hole, fall to Bradley Central 40-30

by: Jeff Keeling, Michael Epps

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 / 07:59 PM EST / Updated: Jan 11, 2020 / 12:13 AM EST
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (WJHL) – A battle of state powers didn’t go Science Hill’s way Friday night as the Hilltoppers fell into an early hole before losing to Bradley Central 40-30 in their first match of the 20th annual Fandetti-Richardson Brawl at Science Hill.

Things looked good early. Junior 170-pounder Liam Medina scored a first-round pin, giving the Toppers an early 6-0 lead in a battle between the second and third-ranked teams in the state. Things turned south in a hurry from there, though, and by the time Science Hill hit the strongest portion of its lineup, Bradley Central had reeled off 37 straight points.

With just five matches left, even five pins by Science Hill would have resulted in a one-point loss.

---------------

Science-Hill-makes-strides-in-Fandetti-t
Science Hill’s Jared Harter, left, tries to steady himself while wrestling Fort Mill’s Joshua CizMadia during Saturday’s 160-pound championship match.

Douglas Fritz

1 / 1 Science Hill’s Jared Harter, left, tries to steady himself while wrestling Fort Mill’s Joshua CizMadia during Saturday’s 160-pound championship match.

dfritz.jpg
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING

Science Hill makes strides in Fandetti tournament

DOUGLAS FRITZ • TODAY AT 9:06 PM

Science Hill didn’t come away with hardware, but the Hilltoppers had some good performances in the Fandetti-Richardson Brawl on Saturday at The New Gymnasium.

“We wrestled against solid kids,” said Science Hill head coach Jimmy Miller. “There were some monsters in this tournament. This is a building block. Our focus is going back to work Monday and looking at the district and conference matches we have this month.”

Memphis Christian Brothers made its long trip worthwhile, winning the event with a total of 232.5 points. Bradley Central was second at 229.5 while Science Hill finished third with a total of 176.

Elizabethton claimed the only individual crowns for local teams. Deuce Morton ruled the 195-pound weight class, topping Christian Brothers’ Connor Billingsley in the final. In the heavyweight class championship, the Cyclones’ Joseph Kechter beat Bradley Central’s Austin McClure.

Miller said the tournament held up once again as a premier event.

“What you’re seeing on these mats, some of these matches could be better than our state finals,” he said. “You’ve got multiple state medalists on every mat. There’s nothing better for Science Hill and for our team than to bring quality kids in here, sleep in our own beds, and get our butt kicked in our own gym. People tell us we have a great tournament, and I say it is a great tournament because we rarely ever win it.”

Science Hill’s Jared Harter battled Joshua CizMadia of Fort Mill, South Carolina, in the 160-pound final. CizMadia got the better of Harter, but it was a tough tight match throughout.

“He was a tough kid,” said Harter. “I definitely felt like I could have done a lot of things different to win that match. But that’s why we wrestle. You’ve got to get those losses out of the way before the state tournament, because that’s what really matters.”

Harter said he needs to work on starting from the bottom.

“He was a tough top rider,” said Harter. “I couldn’t find any space to get out. I have to work on bottom; continuous movement.”

CizMadia earned most outstanding wrestler for the upper weight classes. Pigeon Forge’s Garrett Foreman (138 pounds) earned that honor for the lower classes.

In the 132-pound championship, Science Hill’s Tyler Seeley got off to a nice start against Maryville Heritage’s Hunter Davis. Seeley jumped ahead 2-0 and 4-2 before getting in a trouble spot late in the second period. Just seconds before the period ended, Davis got the pin.

“I just got caught in a weird position,” said Seeley. “There was nothing I could really do in the moment. But I can be prepared for that the next time I wrestle him. Because I will probably have to wrestle him at the state.”

As for moving forward, Miller said the main thing wasn’t wins or losses on this weekend.

“My biggest concern coming out of here is staying healthy,” said Miller. “I can’t fix sick, and I can’t fix broke. I can fix mental mistakes. We can fix lungs. Sometimes we can maybe help change hearts.”

-------------

Trojans pin win on Mustangs

By RICHARD ROBERTS
Posted 1/10/20

Wrestling Soddy-Daisy is, in itself, tough enough. Wrestle Soddy-Daisy minus three starters and the task becomes near impossible. The Walker Valley Mustangs found that out in a big way in a 49-24 …

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/trojans-pin-win-on-mustangs,107292

----------------

nj’s Logo
Sign InSearch
  1. NEW JERSEY HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS

Wrestling: Blair Duals features matchup between prep power and No. 2 Delbarton

Posted Jan 10, 2020
Wrestling: Beast of the East Day 2

Scott Faytok | For NJ Advance Media

Blair's Domonic Mata (right) poses with Lucas Chittum who was named the Most Outstanding Wrestler after winning the 138 lb title as a freshman and #16 seed at the Beast of the East wrestling tournament at the Bob Carpenter Center at University of Delaware in Newark, De on 12-22-19.

These five teams boast 17 nationally ranked wrestlers and will bring plenty of clout to Blair Academy on Saturday for a loaded day of dual-meet wrestling.

But although plenty of star power highlights the action, two of New Jersey’s top teams will not square off.

The anticipated showdown between St. Joseph (Mont.) and Delbarton will not happen until the postseason, if everything shakes out correctly in the North Jersey, Non-Public A team tournament.

Delbarton does get a shot to wrestle Blair in one of the day’s marquee matches while St. Joseph gets it chance to take on Tennessee’s Baylor School and Belmont Hill from Massachusetts.

Below are the matchups as well as national rankings.

BLAIR DUALS

Round 1 starts at noon, each round to follow. Times are approximate after Round 1.

• Round 1: Blair vs. Belmont Hill (Mass.), noon
  • Round 1: Delbarton vs. Baylor (Tenn.), noon
  • Round 2: Blair vs. Delbarton, 1:30 p.m.
  • Round 2: St. Joseph (Montvale) vs. Baylor (Tenn.), 1:30 p.m.
  • Round 3: Blair vs. Baylor (Tenn.), 3 p.m.
  • Round 3: St. Joseph (Montvale) vs. Belmont Hill (Mass.), 3 p.m.
  • Round 4: Baylor (Tenn.) vs. Belmont Hill (Mass.), 4:30 p.m.

NATIONAL RANKINGS

According to InterMat

No. 2 Blair (0-0)

• 106: Marc-Anthony McGowan (No. 1)
  • 120: Ryan Miller (No. 12)
  • 126: Trevor Mastrogiovanni (hasn't wrestled)
  • 132: Shayne Van Ness (hasn't wrestled)
  • 138: Cody Chittum (No. 14)
  • 152: Travis Mastrogiovanni (No. 3)
  • 160: Domonic Mata (No. 8)
  • 182: Rylan Rogers (No. 8)
  • 195: Peyton Craft (No. 9)
  • 220: Noah Pettigrew (No. 12)

No. 11 Delbarton (3-1)

• 106: Tyler Vazquez (No. 12)
  • 126: Nico Nardone (No. 12)
  • 132: Anthony Clark (No. 4)
  • 195: Luke Chakonis (No. 17)

No. 34 St. Joseph (Mont.) (1-0)

• 120: Alex Almeyda (No. 8)

No. 40 Baylor

• 195: David Harper (No. 15)

Unranked Belmont Hill (1-0) does not have any nationally ranked wrestlers

Pat Lanni covers wrestling in the northern part of the state. He may be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @PatLanniHS. Like NJ.com High School Sports on Facebook.

Science Hill's Joseph Frye has the upper hand on an opponent at the 2019 Fandetti-Richardson Brawl.

Jeff Birchfield

1 / 1 Science Hill's Joseph Frye has the upper hand on an opponent at the 2019 Fandetti-Richardson Brawl.

jbirchfield.jpg
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING

Science Hill set to host Fandetti-Richardson Brawl

JEFF BIRCHFIELD • JAN 10, 2020 AT 11:00 AM  

The Fandetti-Richardson Brawl is two decades strong with the 20th annual wrestling meet to be held Saturday at Science Hill High School.

It brings in some of the best competition around from Tennessee and neighboring states. The 2019 tournament medalists went on to earn 41 state medals and eight state championships in their respective states.

It’s a labor of love for former Jefferson County and Science Hill head coach Jeff Price as the tournament honors the memory of Scott Fandetti, who died in 1996 while still in high school, and Todd Richardson and Scott Moffat who died in 2008.

Stay informed. Sign up for daily email newsletters

“It’s cool that we’ve been able to keep it going,” Price said. “When Scott (Fandetti) died, that was one of the worst days of my life. With Scott, Todd and Scott, that was one of the coolest teams I ever coached. I promised myself that I would make sure they would be remembered. It means a lot to me.”

Price expressed his appreciation to current Science Hill head coach Jimmy Miller and others for the work they do to make the tournament a success.

Beyond the Saturday format, dual matches are scheduled for Friday night. They include a matchup of traditional powerhouses Bradley Central and Science Hill.

For the Fandetti-Richardson Brawl, there is a modified 16-man bracket with a pool system to get more matches in. There are also junior varsity and girls tournaments. From the start, there has been an emphasis on bringing in the best teams available.

“When we started it, George Pitts was the principal then,” Price said. “George said, ‘I want you to have the toughest tournament in Tennessee.’ The first few years we were figuring out what we were doing. When Jimmy came in, we expanded the fields and have had iterations from having it at the (Topper) Palace to Freedom Hall to the new gym. Now, we’re going to have matches going on in the old gym and new gym. It really is as tough as any tournament in Tennessee.”

A good showing in the Fandetti-Richardson Brawl has parlayed into later success for host Science Hill. Price gave a couple of recent examples of that happening.

“The year we finished fifth in the state, we finished second (at the Fandetti) behind Christian Brothers,” Price said. “The year we were second in the state, we won the tournament. This is a good measuring stick of where we are and how we stack up.”

--------------

More on Cleveland-Bradley...

Chattanooga Free-Press...

Seniors Zach Brezna and Nate Schilling help lead No. 1 Cleveland to win at No. 3 Bradley Central

January 9th, 2020 | by Patrick MacCoon
1578630969_Ashton-Davis_gs_t400_h51470ebState-top-ranked Cleveland 220-pounder Ashton Davis, top, works on Bradley Central's Gavin Sewell. Davis won the match with a 6-2 decision as the No. 1 Blue Raiders beat the third-ranked Bears on Thursday. / Staff photo by Patrick MacCoon

CLEVELAND, Tenn. — Wrestling flows in the veins of Bradley County.

And for No. 1-ranked Cleveland High School looks extremely capable of a third straight sweep of the Class AAA state dual and traditional tournaments.

tfp_know_sports.png

Follow your favorite teams with insightful analysis, in-depth game coverage and award-winning writing.

Subscribe now for unlimited access to the Times Free Press

The Blue Raiders wasted no time asserting their power Thursday night, opening a crosstown rivalry match with four consecutive pins on their way to a 42-27 road win over third-ranked Bradley Central.Senior Nate Schilling brought an end to his 160-pound match in just 32 seconds.

"Nate is one of our huge success stories," Cleveland coach Joey Knox said. "He would go wrestle every weekend and get his butt whupped when he first got here. But he stared adversity in the face and has worked his tail off. He's been behind some really good guys, and now it's his time. I would not be surprised if he won state as a first-time starter."

some textCleveland's Arlo Laxton, top, works against Bradley Central's Easton Lipsey. Laxton won the match 7-0 and the Blue Raiders won by the score of 42-27 on the road Thursday. / Staff photo by Patrick MacCoon

Cael Laxton opened the match by racking up nine first-period points before his second-period pin. Senior Zach Brezna followed Schilling with a pin in the last four seconds of the second period after building a 12-4 lead.

At 182, Te'toe Boyd carried on the streak as he stuck his opponent in the final period to build a 24-0 lead for the Blue Raiders.

"We had some hammers open up the match (at 152)," said Brezna, a four-year starter. "We wanted to go out there and set the tone of the match, and we were able to. This program has shaped me into the man I am today. It's shown me heart and what hard work and dedication can bring.

"We are a family, and that's how we roll. Everyone pushes each other harder at practice, and we want to keep it rolling one after the other."

Cleveland has an overall record of 80-3 under Knox and is 11-1 this season with the loss coming out of state to a team in Georgia.

With reigning state champion Jackson Bradford (120) sitting out Thursday's match, there is still room for improvement.

"Our guys are always buying in and seeing what they need to be doing," Knox said. "Zach has been a tremendous leader. He's not scared and went out there after his guy tonight. We have a lot more in the tank still, though. We have to take care of business and get our guys back from injury so we can take care of a state title."

Despite the big early deficit, Bradley Central did not pack things in as a program with 26 team state titles all-time won four of the next six matches.

Tyrone McDonald started that flurry with a 7-2 decision at 195, and heavyweight Austin McClure registered a second-round pin for the Bears.

some textBradley Central sixth-ranked heavyweight Austin McClure pins Cleveland's Growin Wilson in Thursday's dual match. The Blue Raiders won 42-27 and forfeited one of their last two matches. / Staff photo by Patrick MacCoon

In a showdown of No. 1- vs. 2 state-ranked wrestlers at 106 pounds, top-ranked Ethan Wilson held a 4-0 lead and survived a late takedown by Cleveland's Bentley Ellison for a one-point decision.

Luke Belcher cut the deficit to 30-18 with a third-period pin after leading 10-3 over Jax Godfrey in the 120-pound match.

But Blue Raiders reigning state champion and Army commitment Trae McDaniel sealed the victory as a strong cradle earned a second-period pin and 36-18 lead. Senior Garrett Stevenson ended the match with his team's sixth pin.

"This team has a bunch of hard workers, and we all have the drive to win," McDaniel said. "Everyone works hard in the weightroom. We lost seven seniors, but there has been no fall-off at all."

Contact Patrick MacCoon at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @PMacCoon.

Prep Wrestling: Walker Valley Wins Two, Loses Two

Sunday, January 12, 2020

WALKER VALLEY 45, STONE MEMORIAL 35

106 – Cole Lester (SM) pinned Brett Harris, 2:37;

113 – Joshua Bramlett (WV) won by forfeit;

120 – Aubrey Thomeson (SM) won by technical fall over Alex McCord, 4:00;

126 – David Cantrell (WV) pinned Aidan Benjamin, :59;

132 – Jacob Howe (SM) pinned Andrew Miles, :40;

138 – Jordan Howe (SM) pinned Markus Rich, 5:36;

145 – Zachary Alegria (SM) pinned Jackson Davis, 1:01;

152 – Michael Teasley (WV) pinned Devon Singer, 3:38;

160 – Michael Phipps (SM) pinned Joshua Van Wyk, 1:56;

170 – Caden Decker (WV) pinned Xander Ricks, :44;

182 – Heath Tanksley (WV) won by forfeit;

195 – Kallum Lowe (WV) dec. Doug Howe, 12-6;

220 – Jacob Anderson (WV) pinned Austin Norris, :11;

285 – Jadon Langford (WV) pinned Cameron Garrett, 1:32.

WALKER VALLEY 60, RED BANK 24

106 – Malikhi Johnson (RB) pinned Brett Harris, :56;

113 – Joshua Bramlett (WV) pinned Kyle Harper, 1:53;

120 – Alex McCord (WV) won by forfeit;

126 – Brady Montgomery (WV) pinned Jayce Cordero, :47;

132 – David Cantrell (WV) pinned Wyatt Maharrey, 2:22;

138 – Aidan Maharrey (RB) pinned Markus Rich, :47;

145 – Jackson Davis (WV) won by forfeit;

152 – Michael Teasley (WV) won by forfeit;

160 – Caden Cline (RB) pinned Joshua Van Wyk, 1:16;

170 – Caden Decker (WV) pinned Hayden Tate, 2:27;

182 – John Elbakidze (RB) won by forfeit;

195 – Kallum Lowe (WV) won by forfeit;

220 – Jacob Anderson (WV) pinned Seth Lacy, 2:26;

285 – Jadon Langford (WV) pinned Gabriel Welch, :28.

SUMMITT 48, WALKER VALLEY 28

106 – Cody Agnell (Sum) pinned Brett Harris, :13;

113 – Jackson Masters (Sum) pinned Joshua Bramlett, :54;

120 – Austin Grooters (Sum) pinned Alex McCord, 3:32;

126 – David Cantrell (WV) major dec. Tristan Winters, 14-3;

132 – Maguire Scruggs (Sum) pinned Andrew Miles, 1:01;

138 – Markus Rich (WV) pinned Miguel Lopez, 3:29;

145 – Jack Hill (Sum) dec. Jackson Davis, 8-4;

152 – Miles Grady (Sum) dec. Michael Teasley, 10-8;

160 – Luke Justice (Sum) pinned Joshua Van Wyk, :50;

170 – Caden Decker (WV) won by forfeit;

182 – Joseph Lukens (Sum) won by forfeit;

195 – Kallum Lowe (WV) pinned Maddox Reed, :19;

220 – John Sloan (Sum) pinned Jacob Anderson, 1:31;

285 – Jadon Langford (WV) pinned Ryan Smith, 1:08.

CHATTANOOGA CHRISTIAN 42, WALKER VALLEY 33

106 – Tyler Haga (CCS) pinned Brett Harris, :56;

113 – Joshua Bramlett (WV) dec. A.J. Jolly, 10-6;

120 – Evan Rominger (CCS) dec. Alex McCord, 9-2;

126 – Brady Montgomery (CCS) pinned Eli Sutherland, 1:13;

132 – Ryan Duble (CCS) pinned David Cantrell, 2:13;

138 – Jack Bennett (CCS) dec. Markus Rich, 6-2;

145 – Josh Willing (CCS) pinned Jackson Davis, 3:09;

152 – Michael Teasley (WV) pinned Andrew Adams, 4:42;

160 – Lachlan Brandt (CCS) pinned Joshua Van Wyk, 1:16;

170 – Conrad Bamgarner (CCS) pinned Caden Decker, 3:15;

182 – Jacob Barham (CCS) won by forfeit;

195 – Kallum Lowe (WV) won by forfeit;

220 – Jacob Anderson (WV) pinned Sawyer White, :16;

285 – Jadon Langford (WV) pinned Raymond McDevitt, 1:13.

The Chattanoogan

----------

UTC now 2-0 in Soucon...

Chattanooga 34 – Gardner-Webb 5
McKenzie Arena – Chattanooga, Tenn.

Sunday – Jan. 12, 2020
149: No. 23 Tanner Smith (UTC) over (GWU) (For.)
157: Tyler Shilson (UTC) over Taylor Parks (GWU) (Dec 10-4)
165: Rodrick Mosley (GWU) over Drew Nicholson (UTC) (Dec 4-2)
174: Hunter Fortner (UTC) over Sam Mora (GWU) (Dec 6-5)
Gardner-Webb -1 for questioning official
184: No. 20 Matthew Waddell (UTC) over Christian Salter (GWU) (Fall 5:58)
197: Rodney Jones (UTC) over Roderick Davis (GWU) (Dec 8-4)
285: Grayson Walthall (UTC) over Gabriel Picket (GWU) (TF 15-0 5:27)
125: No. 20 Fabian Gutierrez (UTC) over Michael Pappaconstantinou (GWU) (TF 15-0 4:00)
133: Colton Landers (UTC) over Trevon Majette (GWU) (Dec 4-0)
141: Brandon Bright (GWU) over Aidan Murphy (UTC) (Dec 7-5)

...notice a few Tennessee wrestlers in this one, including Salter of GWU.

Edited by Sommers

logo-compact.svg

up next

8f68484f-fca7-4e81-922a-511048d17558-Father_Ryan_wrestling-11.jpg?crop=4315,3237,x506,y0?width=12&height=9
Riley Bennett (Fairview) and Alton Cates (Overton) struggle with each other at the Johnny Drennan '85 Memorial Invitational at Father Ryan  in Nashville, Tenn. Friday, Jan. 3, 2020.

Show caption

Riley Bennett (Fairview) and Alton Cates (Overton) struggle with each other at the Johnny Drennan '85 Memorial Invitational at Father Ryan in Nashville, Tenn. … Show more 

LARRY MCCORMACK / THE TENNESSEAN

The spotlight is shining brightly on Fairview High Jackets Wrestling team

BY BIFF CURTIS  |  FAIRVIEW HIGH SCHOOL
9:58 a.m. CST Jan. 13, 2020

While most of us were relaxing and indulging in Christmas candy and pies, the Fairview High wrestling team was hard at work over the Winter break from school.  The Jackets were practicing daily throughout the week to prepare for one of the toughest local tournaments with nearly 50 teams competing.n January 3 and 4, The Johnny Drennan ’85 Memorial Invitational Tournament, held annually at Father Ryan High School, had one of the toughest fields in history filled with State Champions and teams from Kentucky, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Illinois, Arkansas, and Alabama.

Zach Derrick (Fairview) and Frank Perazzini (Montgomery Bell Academy) struggle with each other at the Johnny Drennan '85 Memorial Invitational at Father Ryan  in Nashville, Tenn. Friday, Jan. 3, 2020.

Zach Derrick (Fairview) and Frank Perazzini (Montgomery Bell Academy) struggle with each other at the Johnny Drennan '85 Memorial Invitational at Father Ryan in … Show more 

Out of the fourteen weight classes, the Jackets sent wrestlers to fill twelve of them.  Many met with some early success, and 9 of 12 wrestlers made it to the second day of action.  The two Jacket wrestlers who met with the most success and placed in this field of 462 athletes were Junior phenom Riley Bennett, who placed fourth overall in the 138lb weight class, and Sophomore stand out Jacob Clevenger taking eighth in the 195lb weight class.

Jacob Clevenger with Coach Darryl Casey after his 8th place finish at Father Ryan on Jan. 4, 2020.

Jacob Clevenger with Coach Darryl Casey after his 8th place finish at Father Ryan on Jan. 4, 2020.  
SUBMITTED

On Tuesday, January 7, the entire team was back together and wrestling on their home mat under the increasingly famous spotlight.  The Jackets had their pre-game meal donated by a popular local restaurant, Jefferson’s, and the fuel they provided ignited the Jackets wrestlers as they dominated the match against Montgomery Central winning 78-6.  This was another exceptionally strong performance for the team as 9 of the 10 matches wrestled ended in pins for Fairview. 

Riley Bennett (Fairview) and Alton Cates (Overton) struggle with each other at the Johnny Drennan '85 Memorial Invitational at Father Ryan  in Nashville, Tenn. Friday, Jan. 3, 2020.

Riley Bennett (Fairview) and Alton Cates (Overton) struggle with each other at the Johnny Drennan '85 Memorial Invitational at Father Ryan in Nashville, Tenn. … Show more 

Coach Bubba Derrick’s FHS wrestlers continued their dominance in the second match of the night winning against a strong, but short-handed, Sycamore team 53-27. 

There are a few more opportunities to catch your FHS Wrestlers at home before they begin their quest for their first state title at the Ag Expo Center in February. 

• The Fairview Duals will be held this Saturday, January 11, with wrestling starting at 10 a.m.
  • MBA JV and Varsity will be visiting Fairview on Thursday, January 16.
  • Thursday, January 23 is the regular season finale and Senior Night with Hume Fogg and Creekwood.
  • Then Region 8A-AA Duals will be held on Friday, January 24 at the Nest. 

9:58 a.m. CST Jan. 13, 2020

TSSAA Board Of Control To Meet Thursday, January 16th

Monday, January 13, 2020
article.402371.jpg

The TSSAA Board of Control will meet on Thursday, January 16 at the TSSAA office building in Hermitage. The meeting will begin at 9:00 a.m.

The Board will be review financial reports in the sports of golf, volleyball, soccer, cross country, cheer and dance, and football for approval.

East Nashville Magnet School and Hillsboro High School are both appealing the sanctions placed on their boys’ basketball programs due to an incident that occurred during the contest between the two schools on December 6, 2019.

Both schools’ boys’ basketball programs were placed on probation for a two-year period.

Science Hill High School is submitting a proposal for the Board of Control to consider changing the number of individual medals presented to athletes in the DI AAA traditional wrestling tournament.

Two schools have submitted proposals requesting membership in the association.

Green Hill High School in Wilson County, which is scheduled to open next year, is requesting membership. It is a public school under the Wilson County Board of Education. They are scheduled to open with approximately 1200 students in grades 9-12. If approved, Green Hill will be placed in Division I, Class AAA, District 9 in basketball, baseball, and softball; Class AAA, District 9 in volleyball; Class AAA, District 9 in soccer; Large Class, Section 3 in cross country, track and field, golf, and tennis; Class AAA, Region 6 in wrestling; and District 12 in bowling.

Highland Rim Academy is requesting to rejoin TSSAA for cooperative purposes only. Highland Rim Academy is a small private school in Cookeville with approximately 30 students in grades 9-12. They were members previously but dropped out when the Legislative Council changed the cooperative program agreement language which only allows schools to form agreements within their Division. If approved, they would ask the Board to allow them to seek an agreement with the closest public school.

BOARD OF CONTROL AGENDA

January 16, 2020 

Hermitage, Tennessee 

1. Roll Call 

2. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting 

3. Financial Report of the 2019 Boys’ and Girls’ State Golf Tournaments 

4. Financial Report of the 2019 Girls’ Volleyball Tournaments 

5. Financial Report of the 2019 Girls’ Soccer Tournaments 

6. Financial Report of the 2019 State Cross Country Meet 

7. Financial Report of the 2019 Cheer and Dance Competition 

8. Financial Report of the 2019 Football Playoffs   

9. 2020-2021 & 2021-2022 TSSAA Calendars 

10. Drawing for the Regional and State Tennis Tournaments 

11. Action of the Legislative Council 

12. Tennessee Sports Medicine Advisory Committee 

Mark Reeves will provide Board members with an update. 

13. Technology Update 

Bradley Lambert, TSSAA Technology Director, will provide the Board with an update. 

14. BlueCross Bowl Schedule 

The Board voted to rotate the days each Division plays their championship game.  We have completed the three-year rotation and Board should decide what direction to go.   

15. Highland Rim Academy Requests TSSAA Membership 

Highland Rim Academy is requesting to rejoin TSSAA for cooperative purposes only.  Highland Rim Academy is a small private school in Cookeville with approximately 30 students in grades 9-12.  They were members previously but dropped out when the Legislative Council changed the cooperative program agreement language which only allows schools to form agreements within their

Division.  If approved, they would ask the Board to allow them to seek an agreement with the closest public school. 

16. East Nashville Magnet School Appeals Boys’ Basketball Sanctions  

East Nashville Magnet School is appealing the sanctions placed on the boys’ basketball program due to an incident that occurred during the contest on December 6, 2019, against Hillsboro High School.   

17. Hillsboro High School Appeals Boys’ Basketball Sanctions  

Hillsboro High School is appealing the sanctions placed on the boys’ basketball program due to an incident that occurred during the contest on December 6, 2019, against East Nashville Magnet High School.   

18. University School Appeals Soccer Sanctions  

University School is appealing the sanctions placed on the soccer program.   

19. Litigation Report                             

20. Hardship Appeals 

21. Green Hill High School Requests TSSAA Membership 

Green Hill High School in Wilson County which is scheduled to open next year, is requesting membership.  It is a public school under the Wilson County Board of Education.  They are scheduled to open with approximately 1200 students in grades 9-12.  If approved, Green Hill will be placed in Division I, Class AAA, District 9 in basketball, baseball, and softball; Class AAA, District 9 in volleyball; Class AAA, District 9 in soccer; Large Class, Section 3 in cross country, track and field, golf, and tennis; Class AAA, Region 6 in wrestling; and District 12 in bowling.  There is no reason for us to assign a football region until after the 2020-2021 school year since it will be the last year of classification. 

22. Berean Christian School Requests Cooperative Agreement 

The Board granted an exception allowing one student at Berean Christian School to finish her softball career at Gibbs High School where she has played the past two years.  Berean’s administration is now asking that they be allowed to form a cooperative agreement with a DII school in softball. 

The Board will also hear a total of three hardship appeals at the meeting.

Edited by Sommers

Trae McDaniel, Cleveland

some textCleveland's Trae McDaniel, left, and Bradley Central's Ethan Wilson wrestle during a 106-pound on Jan. 8, 2019, at Cleveland High School. / Staff photo by C.B. Schmelter

The junior wrestler who is committed to Army has made a seamless transition to the 126-pound weight class this season after going undefeated at 106 in 2018-19. This past weekend he had three pins and a technical fall to win his bracket and help the Blue Raiders, state-ranked No. 1 in AAA, take the team title at the Ed Cressel Classic in Bristol, Virginia.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2020/jan/15/preps-player-spotlight-five-who-stood-out-rec/513116/

------------

From chattanoogan...

Thursday, January 16, 2020 53.0°F   mostly cloudy   Mostly Cloudy

Cleveland Wrestles Thursday For Mary Ellen Locher Cancer Benefit

Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Cleveland senior Burns Meagher (138 lbs.) wearing one of the special singlets sponsored by the Allan Jones Foundation and Bank of Cleveland
Cleveland senior Burns Meagher (138 lbs.) wearing one of the special singlets sponsored by the Allan Jones Foundation and Bank of Cleveland

The Cleveland High School wrestling team has officially joined the fight against cancer to support the Mary Ellen Locher Breast Center of Excellence at CHI Memorial. 

The current TSSAA state champions will host a special event at the Jones Wrestling Center on the campus of Cleveland High on Thursday.

"All funds raised will go to benefit the breast center named after the beloved Chattanooga television personality who lost her life to cancer in 2005," officials said.

Doors open at 5 p.m. so that a dinner can be served. The wrestling - against rival Soddy Daisy - begins at 6 p.m. 

“Everyone’s lives have been impacted by cancer,” said Cleveland Head Coach Joey Knox. “Wrestlers are tough, but nobody is tougher than those battling this horrible disease. This fundraiser is a small way for our program to stand with those whose lives have been impacted by cancer.” 

The wrestlers will wear special pink uniforms sponsored by the Allan Jones Foundation and Bank of Cleveland. 

Those who drive by the Village Green Town Center on Keith Street in Cleveland will notice the lights around the historic downtown landmark have a new color. The typical white lights are now bright pink. 

“By turning our lights pink, we’re sending a message that the Jones family — and the wrestlers at Cleveland High School — are united in the fight against breast cancer,” said businessman Allan Jones. “We are doing all we can to support the Mary Ellen Locher Breast Center.” 

Josh Bosken, head coach of Cleveland’s Higher Calling Youth Wrestling Club, said the Jones Foundation and Bank of Cleveland have always been strong in the fight against cancer. “They stepped up right away to sponsor the event,” said Coach Bosken. “These sponsors join us in emphasizing that together we will raise more money than we ever could alone.” 

Anyone who wishes to make a donation for the event can call Bosken for more information at 513-646-4435

Cookeville Herald Citizen...

CHS wrestling splits at home Tuesday

Cookeville's Ethan McWilliams, top, works his advantage during a wrestling match Tuesday night at CHS.
Cookeville's Ethan McWilliams, top, works his advantage during a wrestling match Tuesday night at CHS.
JENNIE PATTON
Posted Wednesday, January 15, 2020

The Cookeville High School wrestling team struggled slightly Tuesday night, but the Cavaliers were still able to split their two matches at CHS.

CHS struggled against District 10 foe Oakland as the Patriots rolled to a 57-9 rout, but the Cavs bounced back against Stone Memorial with a 60-23 win.

Against Stone Memorial, CHS won by scoring on three forfeits and seven pins. Cookeville’s Trenton Houston (106 pounds), Jay Reed (170), Mason Allen (220), and Sam Harness (heavyweight) all pinned their opponents in the first round. D.J. Bean (126) and Ethan McWilliams (152) pinned their opponents in the second round, while Mikey Gonzalez wrapped things up with a third-round pin.

The story wasn’t the same against Oakland as the Cavs only won two bouts. McWilliams was able to make short work of his opponent with a first round pin, while Sebastian Hirbar narrowly escaped with a 7-6 decision.

Up next, the Cavs hit the road Thursday for a Region 5 match at Warren County. Weigh-ins begin at 5 p.m. with wrestling starting at 6 p.m.

--------------

Cleveland Banner...

Prep Wrestling Ranking 1-16

Posted Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:41 am

2019-2020 Pin-TN.com
TSSAA AAA Rankings
updated 01/12/2019
Team Rankings
1. Cleveland
2. Bradley Central
3. Science Hill
4. Wilson Central
5. Blackman
6. Rossview
7. Oakland
8. Brentwood
9. Centennial
10.Independence
106-pounds
1. Ethan Wilson (Bradley)
2. Bentley Ellison (Cleveland)
3. Keegan Schulz (Munford)
4. Russell Ford (Independence)
5. Connor Warnock (Wilson Central)
6. Grant Myers (Blackman)
113-pounds
1. Hunter Borders (Wilson Central)
2. Chris Calvin (McGavock)
3. Kolin Koss (Bartlett)
4. Arlo Laxton (Cleveland)
5. Justin Bradford (Blackman)
6. TeNario Thomas (East Hamilton)
120-pounds
1. Jackson Bradford (Cleveland)
2. Andrew Artiles (Collierville)
3. Sammy Shires (Rossview)
4. Brennen Watkins (Dobyns Bennett)
5. Luke Belcher (Bradley)
6. Alex Rose (Blackman)
126-pounds
1. Trae McDaniel (Cleveland)
2. Trey Bates (Beech)
3. Bryce Woener (Rossview)
4. Reece Nelson (Tennessee)
5. Taron Patterson (Bradley)
6. Aiden Brenot (Clarksville)
132-pounds
1. Hunter Davis (Heritage)
2. Ethan Moore (Rossview)
3. Gavin Hughes (Bradley)
4. Tyler Seeley (Science Hill)
5. Kenney Harless (Stewarts Creek)
6. Riley Fort (Wilson Central)
138-pounds
1. Christian Isbell (Clarksville)
2. Braxton Mann (Science Hill)
3. Cole Fort (Wilson Central)
4. Landon Fisher (Jefferson Co)
5. Tanner Willett (Independence)
6. Alton Cates (Overton)
145-pounds
1. Thomas Williams (Rossview)
2. Jackson Hurst (Dobyns Bennett)
3. Cooper Finch (Brentwood)
4. Alex Ables (Centennial)
5. Dylan Cockman (Arlington)
6. Stephen Fisak (Wilson Central)
152-pounds
1. Joseph Frye (Science Hill)
2. Mason Smith (Beech)
3. Levi Stone (Wilson Central)
4. Cael Laxton (Cleveland)
5. Mathison Meade (Bearden)
6. Logan Fisher (Jefferson Co)
160-pounds
1. Jared Harter (Science Hill)
2. Tre Morrisette (Dobyns Bennett)
3. Michael Ford (Arlington)
4. Nate Schilling (Cleveland)
5. Owen Zuckerman (Houston)
6. Cooper Grills (Franklin)
170-pounds
1. Josh Pietarila (Hardin Valley)
2. Cade Meeks (East Hamilton)
3. Clint Morrisette (Dobyns Bennett)
4. Zach Brezna (Cleveland)
5. Anthony Gomez (Blackman)
6. Tyrone McDonald (Bradley)
182-pounds
1. Brooks Sacharczyk (Blackman)
2. Cooper Palmieri (Northwest)
3. Hayden Maynor (Soddy)
4. Gabe Smith (Clarksville)
5. Cade Young (Houston)
6. Jacob Knight (Centennial)
195-pounds
1. Jason Brumlow (East Hamilton)
2. Johnny Mac Feldhacker (Brentwood)
3. Cooper Richards (Springfield)
4. Samari Suddeth (Centennial)
5. Thomas Stadel (Maryville)
6. Kallum Lowe (Walker Valley)
220-pounds
1. Ashton Davis (Cleveland)
2. Ryver Shelton (Jefferson Co)
3. Bowdy Boyce (Blackman)
4. Brandon Elkins (Halls)
5. Kameron Bingham (Oakland)
6. Cedrick Little (Stone Memorial)
285-pounds
1. Skylar Coffey (Brentwood)
2. Jadon Langford (Walker Valley)
3. John Worley (Arlington)
4. Jared Dawson (Collierville)
5. Trevor Linderman (Halls)
6. Austin McClure (Bradley)

Edited by Sommers

Rebound......

Blackman wrestling team defeats Oakland, Siegel

1 of 10

Blackman’s Justin Bradford wraps up Oakland’s Joe Bell as he begins to slam him to the mat. ETHAN SCOTT

Oakland’s Dejon Glaster throws Blackman’s David Wilkinson hard onto the mat. ETHAN SCOTT

Blackman’s Brooks Sacharczyk flips and throws Oakland’s Charlie Carson down on the mat. ETHAN SCOTT

Oakland’s Evan Harris locks in the arm of Blackman’s Cole Hayes as he attempts to flip him over onto his back for the pin. ETHAN SCOTT

Blackman’s Anthony Gomez wraps up and successfully gets the pin on his opponent. ETHAN SCOTT

Oakland’s Chas Stokes steps up quickly to grab and wrap up Blackman’s Grant Myers. ETHAN SCOTT

Blackman’s Brayden James leans back as he begins to throw Siegel’s Ethan Rice backwards into the mat. ETHAN SCOTT

Blackman’s Morgan Sacharczyk gets free as she pushes her opponent’s legs into the air. ETHAN SCOTT

Blackman’s David Wilkinson is shoved out of bounds by Siegel’s Austin Watson who attempt to wrap him up. ETHAN SCOTT

Siegel’s Conner Milhorn drives into Blackman’s Cole Hayes as he attempts to grab his legs. ETHAN SCOTT

Blackman's wrestling team defeated Siegel and Oakland in a wrestling tri-match Thursday night at Oakland High School.

Oakland got one win over Siegel as the teams are winding down their seasons and looking forward to the postseason.

Blackman and Oakland was the first match of the evening, and the two did not disappoint. The Blaze edged the Patriots 43-29 in what the two coaches called the best teams in the region.

"Definitely the best two teams in the region, no doubt," Blackman coach Ronnie Bray said. "Our guys work hard, they were prepared and we are blessed to have kids buy into what we want to do,"

Blackman started out winning the first few weight classes. The Blaze began the match at 113 pounds. There are 14 weight classes that range from 106, the smallest, to the 238-pound heavyweight class. Matches consist of three, two-minute periods unless a pin fall or other means of victory are secured.

Justin Bradford and Alex Rose started the night off winning by pin fall and technical fall, respectively.

Blackman won the first four weight classes, but the Patriots came back and won four straight matches from 138 pounds to 160 pounds. Wins by Evan Harris, Ross Griffin by pin fall, and Joe David Bell and Dejon Glaster got them back into the match at 21-20.

Five straight wins by the Blaze from the 170 pounds to the 220-pound weight class clinched the match for the Blaze. The wins were highlighted by Arkansas Little-Rock signee Brooks Sacharczyk winning at 182. Sacharczyk was runner-up at the state championship last year and is ranked No. 1 in his weight class, and would like nothing better to close out his prep career with a state championship.

"Me and my partner do extra stuff in practice gunning for that state title," Sacharczyk said of his wrestling partner Bowdy Boyce.

Siegel is a young team and took two tough losses to Oakland and Blackman by the scores of 72-9 and 75-5, respectively, but did have some highlights on the night.

Against Blackman in the 145-, 152- and 160-pound weight classes were the Stars' highlights. At 152, Gunner Jackson defeated Cole Hays by technical fall for their only victory.

At 160 pounds, Austin Watson of Siegel and David Wilkinson of Blackman battled for six minutes as Wilkinson won the match 5-4.

Against Oakland, Siegel freshman Noah Todd defeated senior Kameron Bingham in a three-period match 2-1. Bingham, ranked fifth in the state at the 220-weight class, dropped a pair of matches to fall  to 16-3 on the season. Sophomore Connor Milhorn also won at the 195-pound weight class for the Stars.

"I have high hopes for (Noah) Todd as a freshman. He came through the middle school program as well as sophomore Connor Milhorn," Siegel coach Donovan Freeman said. "It is very important to have a feeder program because they are the future and the only way the program can grow.  You have to have kids that have wrestled before they get to the high school level."

Before the Blackman and Siegel match three girls matches were held, and Siegel's Ashley Lorden won one of them as Blackman took the other two matches.

"She is a tough girl and she does not mind banging with the boys. Girls wrestling is really growing at the college level as more schools are offering scholarships," Siegel assistant coach Jaron Pruitt said of Lorden. "(Ashley) Lorden has a real opportunity for college if she does not go the military route."

--------------------
Rutherford Co Tri with photos...

https://www.dnj.com/picture-gallery/sports/high-school/2020/01/17/photos-oakland-blackman-siegel-wrestling-tri-match/4497555002/

-------------

2A Illinois prospect and UTC talking...

WRESTLING

Northwest Herald Athletes of the Week for Jan. 5-11

10:12 pm
Northwest Herald Athletes of the Week for Jan. 5-11

Bryce Shelton, Marian Central, jr., wrestling

Junior wrestler Bryce Shelton won his 100th career match and was one of five Hurricanes to win their weight class at Geneva’s Newbill Invitational last weekend. Marian won the 17-team tournament.

Shelton, who was 25-0 after the tournament, was voted as the Northwest Herald Male Athlete of the Week by the readers. He is an integral part of one of the best Class 2A teams in the state.

Shelton, who competes at 138 pounds, answered a few questions from Northwest Herald sports writer Joe Stevenson.

What do you remember most about your performance last week?

Shelton: During that tournament I got my 100th career win and won the tournament.

If you could wrestle at any college, which one would it be?

Shelton: As of now, I’m keeping all my options open while exploring where I would wrestle after high school. I have visited Army at West Point and Tennessee-Chattanooga.

What is the toughest part about wrestling?

Shelton: It’s keeping your head in the right mentality.

What is your favorite class?

Shelton: Math. I’m good with numbers.

What is your go-to food during the season when you need something, but have to maintain weight?

Shelton: During the season, my go-to food is smoothies. I make them myself with spinach, strawberries, apples, honey, peanut butter and milk.

What is the funniest thing that happened to you during competition?

Shelton: I had a match when an opponent did not know how to put on his headgear.

If they played entrance songs for wrestling, what would yours be?

Shelton: “Crank That” by Soulja Boy.

What are your three favorite sports movies?

Shelton: “Remember the Titans,” “Miracle” and “Win Win.”

What is something about you that a lot of people don’t know?

Shelton: I showed pigs at the McHenry County Fair.

Mackenzie Straulin, Johnsburg, sr., basketball

Mackenzie Straulin poured in a career-high 24 points for the Skyhawks in a 66-41 victory over Richmond-Burton in their Kishwaukee River Conference game, hitting 10 buckets and going 4 for 4 from the free-throw line.

Straulin leads the Skyhawks in scoring with 10.9 points a game and is second on the team with 5.3 rebounds a game. The senior was voted Northwest Herald Female Athlete of the Week by readers for her performance and answered a few questions from sports writer Alex Kantecki.

What do you remember most about your performance against Richmond-Burton last week?

Straulin: What I remember most is my shot being on and feeling like I couldn’t miss. Also, my teammates cheering every time I scored.

What is your dream job?

Straulin: My dream job is to coach college or high school basketball.

What are three of your favorite TV shows?

Straulin: "Hawaii Five-0," "One Tree Hill" and "All American."

What is something that scares you?

Straulin: The dark.

Who is the biggest influence on you as an athlete?

Straulin: My biggest influences are my parents because they have always pushed me to do my best and supported me.

What sport that you don't play would you be good at?

Straulin: Soccer.

Do you have any pregame rituals or superstitions?

Straulin: Listening to music.

What's your favorite pregame meal?

Straulin: Kraft Mac & Cheese shapes.

What is your most memorable moment playing basketball?

Straulin: Playing in a sectional [semifinal] my freshman year. That was the turning point in my basketball career, when I gained confidence and knew that I could achieve more and contribute more to the team.

If you could have dinner with any three people in history, who would it be?

Straulin: [Golden State Warriors guard] Stephen Curry, my grandma who passed away, and [Golden State Warriors coach] Steve Kerr.

Who is your funniest teammate on Johnsburg?

Straulin: Melanie Lavanderos because she makes me laugh every day.

-----------

From Gwinnett daily Post...

Buford takes third, Archer fourth at state wrestling duals

1 of 3
DSC_5108.jpg

North Forsyth's Christopher Henderson tries to escape from Archer's Florin Myndresku in Saturday's state duals meet in Macon.

• Anthony Stalcup

DSC_5158.jpg

North Forsyth’s Tate Bissell, left, won his match over Archer’s Kam Shannon on Saturday at the state duals in Macon.

• Special Photo: Anthony Stalcup

North Forsyth’s Andrew Sexton won his match over Archer’s Isaiah Mickles in Saturday’s state duals meet in Macon.

• Anthony Stalcup

MACON — Buford found itself in unfamiliar territory by having to fight its way through wrestlebacks during Saturday’s action at the Georgia High School Association’s State Wrestling Duals Championships at the Macon Centreplex.

But the Wolves bounced back from Friday’s loss in the semifinals to post a pair of victories, beating Harris County 51-24 and Ola 48-21 to claim third place in the Class AAAAA tournament.

Archer also earned its way into the third-place match in Class AAAAAAA with a win over North Forsyth, but couldn’t hold off a late charge by West Forsyth in the consolation finals to place fourth overall.

Buford’s 37-25 semifinal loss to eventual state runner-up Veterans meant the Wolves would not participate in the championship meet for the first time in five years.

However, the Wolves shook off any disappointment they may have had, and the Wolves took care of business in Saturday’s action behind two individual wins each from Tyler Henley at 120 pounds, Nick Cambria at 126, Nick Stonecheck at 152, Charlie Darracott at 160, Blaine Bergey at 170, Evan DiMaggio at 220 and Jacob Smith at 285.

“We knew coming in that Veterans was going to be tough,” Buford coach Tom Beuglas said. “Realistically, third was probably the best we could do. We had a close one (Friday) night (against Veterans), but I was just happy we were able to bounce back the way we did. … Sometimes you have the firepower, some times you don’t. We were a little short this year.”

Archer, meanwhile, built up big leads in both their meets Saturday, and tried to hold on at the end of each.

The Tigers held off North Forsyth 37-31 in the consolation finals, but couldn’t repeat the feat in the consolation finals, as West Forsyth rallied from a 19-0 deficit to win the third-place meet 34-25.

Despite the loss in Saturday’s second match, Archer coach Keith Jannett was very pleased with this team’s effort for the entire weekend, including a win during the consolation rounds over a Mountain View team that had beat the Tigers handily during a dual meet earlier this season.

“We’ll take it,” Jannett said. “We came in (to the tournament) unseeded, so this was kind of a Cinderella weekend for us.”

Vernon Rogers (106 pounds), Wade Hipp (113), Cam Sapp (132) and Florin Myndresku (138) all won both their matches for Archer on Saturday.

One other Gwinnett team was in action Saturday, with Brookwood falling to West Forsyth 48-32 in the consolation semifinals.

Xavier Bentley (120), Eason Rivas (145), Chandler Mullis (160), David Hornsby (170), Landon Moss (182) and Jonathan Oldknow (195) were all victorious on the day for the Broncos.

Updates of teams many may have completed with to the north....

Roanoke

H.S. wrestling: Christiansburg claims 6th straight Big Blue team title

• By Troy Sarver Special to The Roanoke Times
  •  
    • 13 hrs ago

1 of 3
Junior Policarpo-cburg-top and Justin Clark-Rockbridge Co-bottom.jpg

Christiansburg’s Junior Policarpo (top) won an 8-7 decision over Rockbridge County’s Justin Clark in the 106-pound championship of the Big Blue Invitational at Christiansburg High School on Saturday.

• CHRISTIAN MOODY | Special to The Roanoke Times

Mark Daroshefski -cave spring-black and Jack campbell-Abingdon-gray.jpg

Cave Spring’s Mark Daroshefski (bottom) tries to escape Abingdon’s Jack Campbell during their 152-pound final of the Big Blue Invitational at Christiansburg High School on Saturday. Campbell won the bout by a 7-1 decision.

Patrick Henry’s Ricardo Harrington (top) won a 3-2 decision over Eastern View’s Griffin Smythers in the 170-pound final of the Big Blue Invitational at Christiansburg High School on Saturday.

•  

CHRISTIANSBURG — With three individual titles earned on the mats, host Christiansburg High ran away with the overall team title Saturday at the Big Blue Invitational wrestling tournament.

It was Christiansburg’s sixth straight team title at its annual event, which this year consisted of 34 teams from Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee. The Blue Demons compiled 220 points to easily outdistance runner-up Brentsville District’s total of 173 points.

Christiansburg had already built up a sizeable lead going into Saturday night’s finals with five individuals reaching the championship round.

Junior Policarpo kept the momentum on Christiansburg’s side winning the first final of the night taking the 106 crown with a hard fought 8-7 decision over Rockbridge County’s Justin Clark.

“I just wanted to wrestle hard and scramble through every position,” Policarpo said. “I realized that it was close, but I thought I’d get the win in the end.”

Moments after Policarpo’s win, two-time state champ Brandon Crowder added on to the Blue Demons’ medal count with a convincing 8-1 decision over Brentsville District’s Foster Cardinale in the 120 final.

Crowder dominated the match even though he had never faced Cardinale before Saturday night.

“I just wanted to wrestle my match and I felt like I controlled the whole match,” Crowder said.

Prior to the finals, Crowder and his fellow seniors were recognized in front of the home Christiansburg crowd, but Crowder said any emotions he may have been feeling during that ceremony did not carry over and affect his match performance.

“It was business as usual. My routine is important,” Crowder said. “I just want to have fun and score points.”

Crowder’s senior teammate Nathan Warden, who was named the tournament’s most outstanding wrestler, completed the Blue Demon trifecta later in the meet, taking a 14-4 majority decision over Eastern View’s C.J. Taylor at 182.

Warden, who has verbally committed to Virginia Tech, is the reigning Class 3 state champ at 170 pounds.

Christiansburg came up just short in its two other final appearances. The Blue Demons’ Luke Robie lost the 126 final to Powhatan’s Sean Hall by an 8-6 decision, while Kip Nininger was defeated by Sean Dawson of Independence (W. Va.) 5-4 in the 145 final.

Nininger escaped a close call earlier in the day, squeaking out a 1-0 victory over Patrick Henry’s Chauncey Wilson in the semifinals.

PH was represented in the finals by Ricardo Harrington, who made the most of that appearance. The Patriots junior won his second straight Big Blue title with a tight 3-2 win over Eastern View’s Griffin Smythers at 170.

“Wrestling tough opponents like that, I think it’s more a mental thing, and I felt like I had good control of the match,” Harrington said.

Harrington added that the Big Blue also gives him a gauge of where he’s at as he gets ready for regionals next month.

“Some of the kids you see here are tougher than those you’ll see in the postseason,” Harrington said.

Rockbridge County’s David Allio closed out the night picking up the lone pin in the finals, sticking Brentsville District’s Tyler Nix at 285.

Allio’s win helped the Wildcats place fourth in the team competition with 166 points. Along with Christiansburg, Rockbridge County was the only other team from Timesland to finish in the top 10.

--------------------

More local Chattanoogan coverage...

CCS Wrestlers Win Mountain Top Wrestling Tournament

Saturday, January 18, 2020
article.402705.jpg

The Chattanooga Christian wrestling team traveled to Sewanee on Saturday for the St. Andrews Mountain Top wrestling tournament.   They came home with the championship trophy placing four wrestlers in the finals.   

Evan Rominger was the lone winner.  Kaleb Cooper, Jacob Barham and Lachlan Brandt all finished second.  

Jack Bennett and Ben Bumgarner won their consolation matches to take 3rd place.  

CCS outscores second place Harpeth High by 17 points to win.   

CCS Finishers:

Evan Rominger 1st
Jack Bennett 3rd
Ben Bumgarner 3rd
Kaleb Cooper 2nd
Jacob Barham 2nd
Sawyer White 4th
Joel McDevitt 4th
Lachlan Brandt 2nd 

Team Scores: (top 8) CCS 152, Harpeth High 135, McMinn County 119.5, Cheatham Co. 115, Webb School 113.5, Warren Co. 106, Boyd-Buchanan 101, Coffee County 96, 

Edited by Sommers

In case you missed it...

We saw something similar to this at the black horse, but it was a father attempting to stop an armbar...

Below (very bottom) is the actual blast double from Dad.

North Carolina dad accused of tackling student during high school wrestling tournament

Barry Jones was charged with disorderly conduct and simple assault after police said he tackled a 17-year-old. (WSOCTV.com

By: WSOCTV.com
Updated: January 20, 2020 - 1:23 AM

HARRISBURG, N.C. — A North Carolina father has been arrested after he tackled a wrestler during a high school wrestling tournament Saturday in Kannapolis, officials said.

Barry Jones was charged with disorderly conduct and simple assault after police said he tackled a 17-year-old.

Content Continues Below

Authorities said the victim from Southeast Guilford High School was wrestling Jones’ son, who is a student from Hickory Ridge High School.

Witnesses said the students were wrestling during their match when Jones charged at the victim.

“I looked up, and this guy starts running from the bleachers down to the mat,” said a witness.

According to witnesses, as soon as Jones assaulted the teenager, other parents and coaches immediately stepped in to stop him.

“At first, I thought maybe someone had gotten hurt or maybe he was going for the referee, but for him to attack the wrestler and start kicking the wrestler, I’ve never seen,” said a witness. “Yes, parents get upset, but never have I seen anyone attack a referee, a parent, a coach.”

DaShawn Brown

✔@DaShawnWSOC9

NEXT ON 9: A high school wrestling match, turned all out brawl!

Why? Police said a parent attacked a teenage wrestler, during a match against his son.

“I looked up and this guy starts running from the bleachers down to the mat,” one witness said.

The story, next at 6!

30 people are talking about this

A parent said other wrestling matches in the tournament kept going during the incident.

“I don’t think the matches should’ve continued until all those parents were out in the lobby,” a parent said.

The student-athlete was not injured in the incident.

Jones was taken to the Cabarrus County Jail with bail set at $1,000.

Below is a statement from a spokesperson with Cabarrus County Schools:

“We have expectations for student decorum and sportsmanship during athletic and extra-curricular events, and our expectations for spectators are no different. The actions displayed by a spectator at the wrestling match on Jan. 18, 2020, fall far below our expectations. We do not condone his actions.”

No other information has been released.

See interesting footage...

If you want to see the interesting footage...

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/trending/north-carolina-dad-accused-tackling-student-during-high-school-wrestling-tournament/XEJG53YESBCQRHL7BURR2ORRUY/

Actual daddy bear in action...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3273204792707220&id=121386074555790

-------------------

UTC Wrestlers Pin VMI With 29-9 Loss

Mocs Win Seven Of 10 Bouts, Go To 3-0 In SOCON Action

Sunday, January 19, 2020

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team posted a 29-9 win at VMI this afternoon.  The Mocs won seven of the 10 bouts to improve to 5-7 overall and 3-0 in the Southern Conference race.  The loss drops the Keydets to 4-9 and 1-1 in league duals. 

Chattanooga jumped out to a 6-0 lead after a pin in the first match at 125.  Junior Fabian Gutierrez earned the fall in the first period over John McGarry.  It was the 11th win of the season for the 20th-ranked Gutierrez.

The Mocs actually ran out to a 16-0 lead with wins in the first four matches.  Sophomore Franco Valdes posted a 5-3 decision over Cliff Conway at 133, while sophomore Mason Wallace scored a 15-5 major decision over Noah Roulo at 141.  

Sophomore Tanner Smith scored his second win of the weekend with a 5-4 decision over Job Chishko.  Smith, ranked No. 23 at 149, gave up a reversal in the first and a takedown in the second, but won the match on riding time.  

VMI got on the board with an overtime win at 157, but sophomore Drew Nicholson responded with a 7-4 decision over John Hoover at 165.  It was also Nicholson’s second win of the road trip.  

VMI’s 19th-ranked Neal Richards gave the Keydets their second win at 174.  They also took three points at heavyweight to close out the match.    

Sophomore Matthew Waddell, No. 21 at 184 this week, scored a pin over Max Gallahan in the second period.  It was his team-leading fifth pin of the year as he won for the seventh time in his last nine matches.  Senior Rodney Jones closed out the Mocs scoring with a major decision at 197.

Up next for the Mocs is the Appalachian Open in Boone, N.C., on Jan. 26.  That is followed by a huge home dual against the Mountaineers on Feb. 2 in McKenzie Arena.  Be sure to get your tickets now for that SoCon matchup at 2:00 p.m.

Chattanooga 29 at VMI 9
Lexington, Va. - Cormack Hall

Sunday - January 19, 2020
125: No.20 Fabian Gutierrez (CHAT) over John McGarry (VMI) (Fall 2:23)
133: Franco Valdes (CHAT) over Cliff Conway (VMI) (Dec 5-3)
141: Mason Wallace (CHAT) over Noah Roulo (VMI) (MD 15-5)
149: No. 23 Tanner Smith (CHAT) over Job Chishko (VMI) (Dec 5-4)
157: Will Lawrence (VMI) over Tyler Shilson (CHAT) (SV-1 7-5)
165: Drew Nicholson (CHAT) over Jon Hoover (VMI) (Dec 7-4)
174: Neal Richards (VMI) over Hunter Fortner (CHAT) (Dec 7-2)
184: Matthew Waddell (CHAT) over Max Gallahan (VMI) (Fall 4:17)
197: Rodney Jones (CHAT) over Zach Brown (VMI) (MD 11-3)
285: Chris Beck (VMI) over Grayson Walthall (CHAT) (Dec 3-2)

Edited by Sommers

Indiana's Franklin High junior emerging as one of area’s top wrestlers

By Mike Beas -

1/21/20 4:41 PM

Ryan's Parker Peterson opponent...

The wrestler ranked 12th in the state at 195 pounds started the sport to satisfy his sweet tooth more than his curiosity.

Franklin junior Harris Eason never managed to pocket any candy, though he’s progressed yearly and is enjoying his best high school season. He owns a 27-1 record after winning his weight class at the Mid-State Conference meet this past weekend.

“I picked up wrestling my sixth-grade year because a lot of my friends said (middle school coach Mark Stevenson) offered them candy if they brought in somebody to wrestle,” Eason said with a laugh. “He actually tricked us. We didn’t get any candy.

“The first week was definitely rough. But my two brothers were doing it, too, so they kept me in it.”

And, boy, is Eason glad.

His LONE LOSS this season was at the Evansville Mater Dei Classic against Tennessee’s defending state runner-up, Parker Peterson of Father Ryan High School in Nashville.

Among his more impressive wins have been decisions over Evansville Mater Dei’s John McGrew (currently ranked 15th) and Lawrence North’s Excell Brooks.

---------------------

Lebanon Democrat...

Green Hill approved to TSSAA membership

HERMITAGE — The new Green Hill High School, slated to open in August, was approved for membership into the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association by the TSSAA Board of Control during its meeting Thursday morning.

According to a TSSAA release of the minutes from the meeting, the school is expected to open with 1,200 students in grades 9-12.

Staff had already tentatively placed the Hawks in District 9-AAA in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer, Section 3 Large Class in cross country, track field field, golf and tennis, Region 6-Large in wrestling and District 12 in bowling. Wilson County rivals Mt. Juliet, Wilson Central and Lebanon are already in each of those leagues.

Green Hill wasn’t placed in a football region since the two-year scheduling cycle will be in its second year this fall, essentially locking the Hawks out of a varsity schedule. TSSAA will go through the reclassification process for 2021-25 this fall with region assignments in all sports for those years completed by December, by which time the Hawks will get a varsity football schedule for the fall of ’21.

Chatt/No Ga area shines at State...

Chatt. Times-NFP...

Chattooga, Trion wrestling teams break through for first titles at GHSA state duals

January 18th, 2020 | by Lindsey Young

There was a changing of the guard in the lower three classifications of the GHSA wrestling duals championships this weekend in Macon, where programs with a combined 29 consecutive team titles were dethroned.

Two of the new champions reside in northwest Georgia. Chattooga rolled out to a quick lead against Social Circle, which had won the past five Class AA titles, and never let up while winning 59-21 during Saturday's finals. In Class A, Trion took nine of the first 11 individual bouts to win 46-25 and end Commerce's run of duals championships at six.

In Class AAA, the Sonoraville Phoenix lost 49-18 to North Hall a day after ending Jefferson's 18-year state duals winning streak.Trion fell behind 4-0 to Commerce after giving up a major decision at 220 pounds, but the Bulldogs went ahead for good when 285-pounder Clay Baker earned a pin right at the first-period buzzer. After getting an 8-7 decision from Seth Huskins at 106, Daegan Vaughn added six points with a pin at 113.

Trion's lead was 24-13 when Logan Eller stuck his 145-pound opponent in the second period. Lincoln Maddux and David Paiz followed suit at 152 and 160 to seal the program's first state duals title after several recent top-three finishes at both the duals and traditional state tournaments. Trion won its lone traditional title in 1994.

Chattooga's runaway win over Social Circle started in the meat of the Indians' strength at 220, where Alex Mears dominated 17-1 for a five-point technical fall. Luis Medina (285), a Times Free Press Dynamite Dozen honoree and Troy University football signee, followed with a first-period pin. After a Commerce pin at 106, Griffin Jarrett and Wes Conley earned pins for Chattooga to establish a 23-6 advantage.

The Tigers rallied to cut the deficit to eight, but the Indians countered with consecutive pins from Jason Malone, Mason Sterner and Rowan Burdick to clinch the title with four matches left.

North Hall's win over Sonoraville also was the result of a dominating start. North Hall won the first five bouts, including two pins and a major decision, to take a 22-0 lead. Eli Knight ended the run with a pin at 126, but the Trojans got a first-period pin from Damon Campbell at 132 to reassume command.

Woodward Academy used a strong run in the middle weights to get past Gilmer, 44-24, in the Class AAAA championship match.

Also in AAAA, Northwest Whitfield went 1-1 Saturday to finish fourth. The Bruins defeated Central-Carroll 50-27 in the consolation semifinals before losing for the second time in the tournament to Blessed Trinity, 46-21, in the third-place match.

In Class AA, Dade County fell to Elbert County 38-33 in the consolation semifinals.

Contact Lindsey Young at [email protected] or 423-757-6296. Follow him on Twitter @youngsports22.

ctfp-logo-dark.svg News

From chattanoogan...

Cleveland's Higher Calling Wrestlers Dominate At World’s Largest Tournament

Piper Fowler Takes Girls National Championship As A 130-Pounder

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Maddox High, took fifth place in the 80-pound clhoto by Contribut

gallery.120376.jpg
  • gallery.120375.jpg
  • gallery.120376.jpg
  • gallery.120377.jpg

Cleveland Tennessee’s Higher Calling Youth Wrestling Club dominated over the weekend at the Tulsa Nationals in Oklahoma. The event is the largest youth wrestling tournament in the world.

Higher Calling Head Coach Josh Bosken took 11 wrestlers to the prestigious tournament and three earned the coveted All-American status.

Piper Fowler, a 130lb. seventh grader at Cleveland Middle School, won the Tulsa Girls National Champion title. The phenom made headlines across Tennessee earlier this year for going undefeated (27-0) on the Cleveland Middle School Boys Wrestling Team. In order to initially make the team in 2019 and become the school’s first-ever female wrestler, Piper pinned two eighth graders, both football players.

The two other Higher Calling All-Americans were Dominic Cordero and Maddox High. Dominic, a 61lb. fifth grader at EL Ross, was the Tulsa Novice National Champion. He is the younger brother of Jose Cordero, a standout wrestler for Cleveland Middle School. 

Maddox, an 80lb. fifth  grader at EL Ross, earned Tulsa National Fifth Place.

Bosken said the accomplishments in Tulsa were unprecedented but not unexpected, which is why families continue to relocate to Cleveland just to be a part of the Higher Calling program.

“Prior to Saturday, Higher Calling has had only one wrestler ever place at Tulsa Nationals and that was Ashton Davis,” said Bosken. “Having three of our  athletes earn All-American status is amazing. We couldn’t be more pleased with the results. People tell me there is no other club anywhere with as much passion around it as Higher Calling.”

Bosken said success at the high school level starts with Higher Calling, which is a wrestling program that gives young wrestlers of all skill levels, grades K through 8, a chance to learn the essentials of practice and competition. The goal of the program is to train and maintain the highest-quality athletes to help continue the finest wrestling program in Tennessee.

“The club was created to build great wrestlers who are also gentlemen—and now, gentlewomen thanks to Piper,” Bosken said. “Piper’s family relocated here from Murfreesboro because we are the best wrestling program in the south and we will continue to get stronger. That is a guarantee.”

For more information on Higher Calling, call Bosken at (513) 646-4435.

?adv=imws764&ct=0:a8epxoi&fmt=3&td1=non- ?adv=imws764&ct=0:5mca0q9&fmt=3&td3=non-?adv=imws764&ct=0:foo2anz&fmt=3&td1=td ?adv=imws764&ct=0:nk94zv3&fmt=3&td1=non-

Edited by Sommers
  • Like 1

Lebanon Democrat...

Wildcat wrestlers roll through Clarksville tournaments

• By Staff Reports
  •  
    • 22 hrs ago

CLARKSVILLE — Wilson Central wrapped up its wrestling tournament schedule last weekend with the Wildcats running the table for the season.

The Wildcats, who moved up a spot to No. 3 in Jeff Price’s state poll released Tuesday, won the West Creek varsity tournament with 313.5 points to runner-up Summit’s 187. Wilson Central’s junior varsity also won the tournament at Rossview.

At West Creek, Wildcat champions were Conor Warnock, Nick Mercante, Hunter Borders, Riley Fort, Cole Fort, Steven Fisak and Anthony Pyron. Runner’s up were Tate Meyers, Avery Warnock and Levi Stone. Finishing third were Brady Jarvis and Matthew Hillis.

The Wildcats, who are 19-4 in dual matches with four regular-season bouts remaining, won without their starting 120-pounder and heavyweight, Grant Fetters and Jesse Richardson, in the lineup.

Wilson Central JV winners were Liam Mosteller, Owen Muhler and Byron Mabry. Chase Fisher and Tate Meyers were second, Jacob Gibb and Anthony Glasgow finished third and Chad York, Hunter Williams and Nolan Hudson fourth.

------------

National Girls High School Ranking For January 22, 2020

Jan 22, 2020Wrestling Nomad

5e287a7434a9d.png?width=1200&quality=80

USA Wrestling, FloWrestling, and the National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum are again partnered to create its third national rankings for high school girls wrestlers for the 2019-20 season.

This ranking evaluates all girls enrolled in grades 9-12, and includes athletes from all 50 states. There are 19 states which sponsor official or emerging girls state high school championships, while many other states are also developing their girls high school program.

The ranking evaluates success from the key pre-season tournaments, including Super 32 and the USA Wrestling Preseason Nationals, as well as early-season high school events.

The ranking list will indicate what the athlete’s previous ranking was in the December preseason rankings.

It has been a busy time, with many major high school holiday tournaments and other in-season competitions going on at the state level all over the nation. This ranking has substantial changes, as some athletes have changed weight classes and some young wrestlers have begun to make their move onto the national scene.

Four No. 1 wrestlers moved up in weight, and remain No. 1 in the nation at their new weight class. Jennifer Soto of California, who was at 117 pounds the last ranking, is now the No. 1 at 122 pounds. Nanea Estrella of Hawaii, No. 1 at 122 last ranking, is No. 1 at 127 pounds this month. Skylar Hattenorf of New Hampshire, who was No. 1 at 127, is now the No. 1 wrestler at 132 pounds. Kylie Welker of Wisconsin, No. 1 at 132 pounds, jumped two weight classes to hold down No. 1 at 144 pounds.

Among her victories since the last ranking, Soto claimed the 121-title at the respected Napa Valley tournament. Estrella, who often wrestles up in weight for better competition, won the title at the Pa’ani Challenge in Hawaii at 138 pounds. Hattendorf won a bronze medal at 134 pounds at the Klippan Lady Cadet Open in Sweden. Welker moved up to 143 pounds for the Klippan Lady Cadet Open in Sweden, where she won a bronze medal, with a win over the No. 2 ranked U.S. wrestler at 144 pounds.

New No. 1 wrestlers, who had been No. 1 earlier in their high school careers, included Mia Palumbo of Illinois at 106 pounds and Stefana Jelacic of Arizona at 117 pounds.

The girls high school season is now moving into the state championship series phases, where girls state championships will be held, not only in the states with official state association high school programs, but also in states where unofficial state meets are hosted by the wrestling community there. These state meets will be very important in the next national ranking.

The additional projected publication dates for the 2019-20 season are February 19, March 11, April 29 and July 1.

The staffs from these three leading wrestling organizations are working together to strategically publish this ranking throughout the year. The girls high school ranking will appear on the websites of all three organizations, and be promoted through each of their different media platforms.

Coaches, parents, and athletes are encouraged to provide information about specific athletes and their achievements throughout the year for the committee to consider. If they have information on specific girls who should be considered for ranking, please send it by email to [email protected]

In addition, the committee seeks to add high-quality in-season competitions to their watch list. Wrestling leaders at the state level are encouraged to recommend the “best” girls high school events, so the results can affect the rankings.

NATIONAL GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL RANKINGS

Developed by USA Wrestling, Flowrestling and the National Wrestling Hall of Fame

Ranking as of January 22, 2020

100 Pounds

1. Sage Mortimer, junior, Mapleton, Utah, American Leadership Academy (1)
  2. Paige Morales, freshman, Clovis, Calif., Central High School (14)
  3. Sterling Dias, sophomore, Las Vegas, Nev., SLAM Academy (2)
  4. Rayana Sahagun, senior, Sparta, Mich., Sparta High School (3)
  5. Alex Szkotnicki, freshman, Riva, Md. Calvert High School (4)
  6. Jessica Corredor, senior, Orlando, Fla., Dr. Phillips High School (5)
  7. Elizabeth Dosado, senior, Ruther Glen, Va., Caroline High School (6)
  8. Heaven Fitch, junior, Concord, N.C., Jay M Robinson High School (8)
  9. Amanda Newcomb, senior, Osawatomie, Kansas, Osawatomie High School (9)
  10. Estrella Dorado Marin, senior, Denver, Colo., Springs Studio for Academic Excellence/Betterman Elite Academy (10)
  11. Dianna Holmes junior, Suwanee, Ga., North Gwinnett High School (11)
  12. Jasmine Howard, junior, Texas, Azle High School (16)
  13. Lizette Rodriguez, senior, Hayward, Calif., James Logan High School (12)
  14. Sydney Petzinger, junior, Parsippany, N.J., Parsippany High School (13)
  15. Virginia Foard, freshman, Reva, Va., Wyoming Seminary (PA) (NR)
  16. Eva Diaz, sophomore, Miami, Fla. homeschooled (17)
  17. Samantha Miller, junior, Parkersburg, W.Va., Parkersburg South High School (19)
  18. Grace Gundrum, senior, Bethlehem, Pa., Homeschooled (20)
  19. Brittany Cotter, junior, Texas, Mortan Ranch High School (NR)
  20. Jaden Johnson, senior, Mishawka, Ind. Penn High School (NR)

106 Pounds

1. Mia Palumbo, junior, Oak Lawn, Ill., Richards High School (5)
  2. Jenavi Alejandro, sophomore, Las Vegas Nev., Centennial High School (2)
  3. Caitlyn Walker, senior, Hatboro, Pa., Wyoming Seminary (PA) (6)
  4. Isabella Morales, sophomore, Toppenish, Wash. Toppenish High School (7 at 100)
  5. Alyssa Valdivia, junior, Bakerfield, Calif., Frontier High School (NR)
  6. Nyla Valencia, sophomore, Morgan Hill, Calif., Ann Sobrato High School (7)
  7. Tehani Soares, senior, Las Vegas, Nev., Shadow Ridge High School (8)
  8. Juliana Moccia, junior, Bel Air, Md., The John Carroll (9)
  9. Abbygale Duke, sophomore, Patterson, N.Y., Wyoming Seminary (PA) (10)
  10. Leah Gaitan, sophomore, Yucaipa, Calif., Yucaipa High School (11)
  11. Chloe Ayres, junior, Princeton, N.J., Princeton High School (12)
  12. Olivia Messerly, freshman, Gray, Ky., Ryle High School (13 at 112)
  13. Shea Reisel, sophomore, Somonauk, Ill. Somonauk High School (14 at 100)
  14. Taylor Wilson, junior, Richland, Wash., Hanford High School (15 at 100)
  15. Brooklyn Hermel, senior, Havelock, N.C., Havelock High School (17)
  16. Angel Rios, senior, Arvada, Colo., Valley High School (18)
  17. Alizeih Villalpando, senior, Ewa Beach, Hawaii, Campbell High School (NR)
  18. Avery Ashley, sophomore, Lucas Lovejoy High School, Texas (NR)
  19. Torie Buchanan, sophomore, West Terre Haute, Ind. West Vigo High School (15 at 112)
  20. Kendra Ryan, junior, Fenton, Mich., Fenton High School (20 at 100)

112 Pounds

1. Samara Chavez, junior, Arlington, Texas, Arlington Martin High School (1)
  2. Cristelle Rodriguez, sophomore, Fresno, Calif., Buchanan High School (1 at 106)
  3. Faith Cole, sophomore, Pacific, Mo., Wildwood High School (3 at 106)
  4. Ava Bayless, sophomore, Greenville, Pa. Wyoming Seminary (PA) (2)
  5. Montana Delawder, junior, Gettysburg, Pa., Gettysburg High School (3)
  6. Catherine Bertrand, junior, Johns Creek, Ga., Mount Pisgah Christian High School (5)
  7. Trinity Berry, senior, Culpeper, Va., Culpeper County High School (6)
  8. Amanda McAleavey, senior, Cypress, Texas, Cypress Creek High School (7)
  9. Emily Mendez, senior, Othello, Wash., Othello High School (4 at 106)
  10. Ally Fitzgerald, junior, Lynbrook, N.Y., Lynbrook High School (14 at 117)
  11. Adrienna Turner, junior, Davis, Calif., Davis High School (9)
  12. Salyna Shotwell, junior, Puyallup, Wash., Rogers High School (12)
  13. Kiersten Bush, senior, Riverdale, Utah, Bonneville High School, (11)
  14. Lily Grismer, sophomore, Ulm, Montana, Cascade High School (14)
  15. Elizabeth Schumaker, junior, North Pole, Alaska, North Pole High School (NR)
  16. Rose Ann Marshall, junior, Stoughton, Wis., Stoughton High School (NR)
  17. Maya Davis, sophomore, Chatham, Ill., Chatham Glenwood High School (16)
  18. Tateum Park, senior, Davenport, Iowa, Davenport High School (17)
  19. Hannah Hall, junior, Palm Harbor Fla., Palm Harbor University High School (18)
  20. Nohea Moniz, sophomore, Waipahu, Hawaii, Kamehameha-Kapalama High School (NR)

117 Pounds

1. Stefana Jelacic, senior, Fountain Hills, Ariz., Chandler High School (2)
  2. Alexis Janiak, sophomore, Plainfield, Ill., Plainfield South High School (3)
  3. Nichole Moore, senior, Abbyville, Kansas, Nickerson High School (4)
  4. Camille Fournier, senior, Weatherford, Texas, Weatherford High School (5)
  5. Holly Beaudoin, senior, Poulsbo, Wash., North Kitsap High School (6)
  6. Monica Garcia, senior, Riverside, Calif., Norte Vista High School (7)
  7. Molly Williams, senior, Redmond, Wash., Redmond High School (8)
  8. Adriana Dorado-Marin, junior, Colorado Springs, Colo., Falcon High School (9)
  9. Allison Hynes, junior, Broken Arrow, Okla., Broken Arrow High School (8 at 112)
  10. Autumn Flanigan, senior, Troy, Mo., Buchanan High School (4 at 112)
  11. Elena Ivaldi, freshman, New Castle, Calif., Del Oro High School (NR)
  12. Desinee Lopez, senior, Folsom, Calif., Folsom High School (11 at 112)
  13. Riley Dalrymple, senior, Carthage, N.Y., Copenhagen High School (8 at 122)
  14. Anna Knappenberger, junior, Berlin, Md., Stephen Decatur High School (15)
  15. Amiyah Hart, junior, Jonesboro, Ill., Anna-Jonesboro High School (16)
  16. Caitlyn Thorne, senior, St. Charles, Mo., St. Charles High School (17)
  17. Israel Resendez sophomore, Aurora, Colo., Denver East High School (20)
  18. Lexy Beadles, sophomore, Riverbank, Calif., Tokay High School (13 at 112)
  19. Liana Carney, sophomore, Wrangell, Alaska, Wrangell High School (NR)
  20. Elvie Villa, senior, Waukegan, Ill., Waukegan High School (18)

122 Pounds

1. Jennifer Soto, sophomore, Red Bluff, Calif., Orland High School (1 at 117)
  2. Melanie Mendoza, senior, Selma, Calif. Selma High School (13 at 117)
  3. Jaclyn Dehney, freshman, Pelham, N.H., Central Catholic High School (4)
  4. Leilah Castro, senior, New Lexington, Ohio, New Lexington High School (5)
  5. Katie Gomez, sophomore, Van Nuys, Calif., Birmingham High School (3)
  6. Sofia Macaluso, sophomore, Minisink, N.Y., Minisink Valley High School (9)
  7. Solana Mottola, junior, Temecula, Calif, Corona High School (6)
  8. Kelly Escamilla, junior, Whittier, Calif., California High School (7)
  9. Claire Dicugno, junior, Lake Tapps, Wash.,White River High School (12 at 117)
  10. Jazmin Mercado, senior, Kennewick, Wash. Pasco High School (10 at 117)
  11. Amani Jones, junior, McDonough, Ga. Ola High School (11)
  12. Brelane Huber, senior, Post Falls, Idaho, Post Falls High School (13)
  13. Elise Rose, junior, Marysville, Kan., Maryville High School (15)
  14. Carolina Moreno, junior, Sammerton, Ariz., Kofa High School (17)
  15. Brooke Cox, sophomore, Lawson, Mo. Lawson High School (18)
  16. Kaila Del Toro, sophomore, Chicago, Ill., Chicago Taft High School (19)
  17. Chloe Clemons, senior, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Jefferson High School (20)
  18. Aki Choates, senior, Duluth, Ga., Duluth High School (13)
  19. Mary Harrell, senior, Anabel, Mo., Hickman High School (16)
  20. Cailin Campbell, sophomore, Crawfordsville, Ind., North Montgomery High School (NR)

127 Pounds

1. Nanea Estrella, senior, Lahaina, Hawaii, Lahainaluna High School (1 at 122)
  2. Korina Blades, sophomore, Broadview, Ill., Wyoming Seminary (PA) (2)
  3. Mia Macaluso, senior, Otisville, N.Y., Minnisink Valley High School (6)
  4. Sophia Smith, senior, Bismarck, N.D., Wyoming Seminary (PA), (5)
  5. Emily Paulino, Honolulu, Hawaii, Kalani High School (12 at 122)
  6. Haley Ward, freshman, Independence, Mo., Ft. Osage High School (12)
  7. Devin Patton, junior, Plano, Texas, Coppell High School (10)
  8. Kendall Bostelman, junior, Napoleon, Ohio, Liberty Central High School (13)
  9. Olivia Mottley, senior, Cypress, Texas, Cypress Ranch High School (10 at 122)
  10. Robin Yunis, senior, Clarksville, Tenn., Rossview High School (12)
  11. Maci Avila, sophomore, Las Vegas, Nev. SLAM Academy (NR)
  12. Sofia Brynman-Metcalf, sophomore, Sullivan, Wis., Jefferson High School (14)
  13. Cayden Condit, junior, Littleton, Colo., Jefferson High School (16 at 122)
  14. Madison Matta, senior, Blue Ridge Summit, Pa., Waynesboro Area High School (17)
  15. Sydney Park, sophomore, Davenport, Iowa, Davenport Central High School (18)
  16. Riley Holman, senior, Paron, Ark., Joe T. Robinson High School (19)
  17. Emma Truex, senior, Medford, Ore., Phoenix High School (20)
  18. Tatiana Garcia, sophomore, Amarillo, Texas, Caprock High School (NR)
  19. Maya Letona, senior, Santa Cruz, Calif. Santa Cruz High School (NR)
  20. Kylie Rule, freshman, Mineral Point, Wis., Mineral Point High School (NR)

132 Pounds

1. Skylar Hattendorf, sophomore, Hookset, N.H., Bow High School (1 at 127)
  2. Louisa Schwab, senior, Plainfield, Ill, Joliet West High School, (3)
  3. Waipuilani Estrella Beauchamp, senior, Wailuku, Hawaii, Baldwin High School (3 at 127)
  4. Amor Tuttle, junior, St. Paul, Minn., Stillwater Area High School (4)
  5. Allison Blaine, senior, Vancouver, Wash., Hudson’s Bay High School (NR)
  6. Viktorya Torres, senior, Granger. Wash., Granger High School (3)
  7. Emma Walker, senior, Clarksville, Tenn., Rossview High School (5)
  8. Nonnie Justice, junior, Harrisonville, Mo., Harrisonville High School (7)
  9. Schuler Caringi, junior, Earlton, N.Y., Coxsackie-Athens High School (9)
  10. Maddie Kubicki, freshman, Kansas City, Mo., Park Hill South High School (8)
  11. Lana Perez, senior, Honolulu, Hawaii, Moanalua High School (4 at 127)
  12. Grace Pauls, senior, Middletown, N.Y., Minisink Valley High School (6)
  13. Riley Aamold, junior, Vancouver, Wash., Union High School (NR)
  14. London Houston, junior, Federal Way, Wash., Federal Way High School (7 at 127)
  15. Jahnea Miguel, senior, Wailuku, Hawaii, Baldwin High School (12 at 138)
  16. Avia Bibeau, senior, Bushkill, Pa., East Stroudsburg High School (11)
  17. Marissa Jimenez, sophomore, Caldwell, Idaho, Caldwell High School (18 at 138)
  18. Lily Sherer, junior, Shohola, Pa., Delaware Valley High School (10)
  19. Shelby Ottum, senior, Anchorage, Alaska, South Anchorage High School (15)
  20. Adaugo Nwachukwu, junior, San Jose, Calif., Silver Creek High School (NR)

138 Pounds

1. Cheyenne Bowman, junior, LaHabra, Calif., Rowland High School (1)
  2. Aine Drury, senior, Westminster, Calif., Westminster High School (2)
  3. Chloe Ogden, junior, Geneva, Fla., Lake Highland Prep High School (3)
  4. Sara Sulejmani, junior, Buffalo Grove, Ill. Stevenson High School (4)
  5. Taryn Martin, junior, Grove City, Ohio, Oletangy Orange High School (5)
  6. Esther Han, sophomore, Wentzville, Mo., Holt Wentzville High School (6)
  7. Lexie Basham, senior, Roanoke, Texas, Byron Nelson High School, (7)
  8. Maggie Palmore, senior, Germantown, Md., Northwest High School (8)
  9. Kya Rybachek, junior, Mt. Iron, Minn., Hibbing High School (9)
  10. Faalia Martinez, senior, Oakdale, Calif., Oakdale High School (10)
  11. Savannah Gomez, freshman, Calexico, Calif., Brawley Union High School (NR)
  12. Abby McIntyre, sophomore, Glenwood, Iowa, Glenwood High School (13)
  13. Marisol Nugent, senior, Boxford, Mass., Phillips Academy Andover (14)
  14. Elleni Johnson, sophomore, West Jordan, Utah, Wyoming Seminary (PA) (15)
  15. Paige Respicio, senior, Ewa Beach, Hawaii Kamehameha-Kapalama High School (17)
  16. Hanna Errthum, freshman, Mount Horeb, Wis. Mt. Horeb High School (19)
  17. Charmayne Delong, senior, Moorcroft, Wyo., Moorcroft High School (18)
  18. Jordan Suarez, senior, Katy, Texas, Morton Ranch High School (NR)
  19. Tiera Jimerson, junior, Moreno Valley, Calif., Northview High School (12 at 132)
  20. Leah Bishop, junior, Highland, Ind., Lawrenceburg High School (NR)

144 Pounds

1. Kylie Welker, sophomore, Waterford, Wis., Springs Studio (CO) (1 at 132)
  2. Lillian Freitas, sophomore, Modesto, Calif., Pitman High School (2)
  3. Reese Larramendy, sophomore, Reno, Nev., Wyoming Seminary (PA) (1)
  4. Destiny Rodriguez, freshman, West Linn, Ore.,West Linn High School (3)
  5. Nia Miranda, senior, Cypress, Texas, Cypress Ranch High School (4)
  6. Tiyahna Askew, senior, Lawrenceville, Ga., Collins Hill High School (5)
  7. Emmily Patneaud, senior, Newark, Calif., Gilroy High School (NR)
  8. Kenzie Cormier, senior, Enumclaw, Wash., North Kitsap High School (NR)
  9. Ivy Kraght, senior, Kent, Wash., Kentwood High School (6)
  10. Jade Herzer, junior, Wisconsin Dells, Wis., Wisconsin Dells High School (11 at 138)
  11. Ella Nichols, sophomore, Bristol, Conn., Bristol Eastern High School (7)
  12. Kayley Rada, junior, Adrian, Mich., Adrian High School (8)
  13. Gianna Anaya, senior, Los Angeles, Calif., San Fernando High School (10)
  14. Vivian Hurn, senior, Cunningham, Tenn., Montgomery Central High School (11)
  15. Tiare Carlson, Waianae, Hawaii, Waianae High School (13 at 132)
  16. Hannah Strauss, senior, Algonquin, Ill., Jacobs High School (16 at 138)
  17. Jazzmine Seely, senior, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo, Waynesville High School (19)
  18. Emma Cole, senior, Lafayette, Mo., Wildwood High School (14)
  19. Payton Lanningham, senior, Nampa, Idaho, Columbia High School (NR)
  20. Ayala Wolak, junior, Dublin, Ohio, Dublin Coffman High School (20)

152 Pounds

1. Amit Elor, Concord, Calif., sophomore, College Park High School (1)
  2. Tiffani Baublitz, junior, Stewartstown, Pa., Kennard-Dale High School (2)
  3. Sydney Manos, junior, Rockford, Ill, Stillman Valley High School (3)
  4. Hannah Ricioli, junior, Santa Rosa, Calif., El Molino High School (9)
  5. Morgan Mayginnes, senior, Onaga, Kansas, Onaga High School (7)
  6. Skylah Chakouian, junior, East Providence, R.I., East Providence High School (12)
  7. Alexandra Nelson, sophomore, Charlestown, R.I., Chariho High School (8)
  8. Dakota-Marie Dinielli, sophomore, Plainville, Conn., Wyoming Seminary (10)
  9. Sidney Sullens, sophomore, Cleveland, Ga., White County High School (15)
  10. Shannon Workinger, sophomore, Quincy, Wash., Quincy High School (NR)
  11. Madison Konopka, junior, Carlsbad, Calif., La Costa Canyon High School (13)
  12. Autumn Terhune, senior, Indianapolis, Ind., Warren Central High School (14)
  13. Hannah Thompson, junior, Burlington, Ky., Cooper High School (17)
  14. Sadie Wahineikaili Antoque, senior, Kaneohe, Hawaii, Castle High School (NR)
  15. Kaylee Gross, junior, Ste. Genevieve, Mo., Ste. Genevieve High School (18)
  16. Madison Ellis, junior, Anchorage, Alaska, South Anchorage High School (11)
  17. Isabella Mir, sophomore, Las Vegas, Nev., Bishop Gorman High School (19)
  18. Toyia Griffin, junior, Nashua, Iowa, Nashua-Plainfield High School (20)
  19. Jennifer Tongi, senior, Federal Way, Wash., Federal Way High School (NR)
  20. Hailey Jo Ahsmuhs, junior, Colorado Springs, Colo., Sierra High School (NR)

164 Pounds

1. Kennedy Blades, sophomore, Broadview, Ill., Wyoming Seminary (1)
  2. Tristan Kelly, senior, Castle Rock, Colo., Douglas County High School (2)
  3. Katja Osteen, junior, Simi Valley, Calif., Royal High School (7)
  4. Olivia Robinson, senior, Hillsboro, Ore., St. Mary’s Academy (4)
  5. Francesca Lopresti, senior, Richmond, Calif., Albany High School (4 at 152)
  6. Alexandria Sanford, senior, Covington, Wash., Kentwood High School (5 at 152)
  7. Kiley Hubby, senior, Everett, Wash., Glacier Peak High School (3)
  8. Dasia Yearby, sophomore, Wellford, S.C., Christ Church Episcopal School (6)
  9. Ariana Pereira, senior, Newark, Calif, Newark Memorial High School (8)
  10. Jewel Gonzalez, junior, Philpsburg, N.J., Philipsburg High School (10)
  11. Kai Poux, senior, Brooklyn, N.Y., Brooklyn Tech, (12 at 152)
  12. Lizah Hingano, junior, Rio Linda, Calif., Rio Linda High School (NR)
  13. Michelle Kamyshin, senior, Sacramento, Calif., River City High School (6 at 152)
  14. Marta Jasperson, senior, Hudson, Wis., Hudson High School (18)
  15. Brielle Bissonette, junior, Clarksville, Tenn., Rossview High School (NR)
  16. Alexia Asselin, junior, Kennewick, Wash., Kennewick High School (NR)
  17. McKenzie Samuels, junior, New York, N.Y., Harry S. Truman High School (9)
  18. Sawyer Graham, junior, Bel Air, Md., C. Milton Wright High School (20)
  19. Amanda Wylie, senior, Soldotna, Alaska, Soldotna High School (NR)
  20. Mackenzie Konanz, freshman, Granger, Ind., Penn High School (NR)

180 Pounds

1. Elisa Robinson, senior, Fort Riley, Kansas, Junction City High School (1)
  2. Jaycee Foeller, junior, De Soto, Mo., De Soto High School (2)
  3. Brianna Staebler, junior, Whitewater, Wis., Whitewater High School (3)
  4. Adelina Parra, senior, San Fernando, Calif., San Fernando High School (4)
  5. Brittyn Corbishley, junior, The Woodlands, Texas, College Park High School (5)
  6. Alia Abushi, senior, San Leandro, Calif., Arroyo High School (5 at 164)
  7. Katelyn Lewis, sophomore, Peshtigo, Wis., Peshtigo High School (11 at 164)
  8. Ryan Schlereth, junior, St. Louis, Mo., Hancock Place High School (16 at 200)
  9. Bailey Dennis, senior, Madras, Ore., Ridgeview High School (8)
  10. Rayana Vigil, senior, Homer, Alaska, Homer High School (11)
  11. Daniella Seely, senior, Haltom City, Texas, Haltom High School (9)
  12. Fiona McConnell, junior, Milwaukie, Ore., Milwaukie High School (13)
  13. Zoe Hankins, senior, El Paso, Texas, Parkland High School (17)
  14. Kailyn Garrett, sophomore, South Lyon, Mich., South Lyon High School (14)
  15. Kerly Borbor Ordonez, sophomore, New Brunswick, N.J., New Brunswick High School (15)
  16. Jayleen Sekona, junior, Anchorage, Alaska, South Anchorage High School (17)
  17. Shannon Jaramillo, senior, Lahaina, Hawaii, Lahainaluna High School (18)
  18. Alivia White, freshman, Lake Stevens, Wash., Marysville-Pilchuk High School (19 at 164)
  19. Katie Moore, senior, Wading River, N.Y., Riverhead High School (16 at 164)
  20. Ofa He Lotu Tuifua, junior, Kent, Wash., Kent Meridian High School (7 at 200)

200 Pounds

1. Olivia Brown, junior, Tulsa, Okla., Broken Arrow High School (1)
  2. Andrea Smith, sophomore, Middleburg, Fla., Orange Park High School (5)
  3. Riley Dempewolf, sophomore, Lafayette, Ind., McCutcheon High School (6)
  4. Stacey Pgouda, senior, Hiram, Ga., Hiram High School (4)
  5. Joanna Jones, senior, Brooklyn, N.Y. Wingate Educational Campus (6 at 180)
  6. Alexa Garcia, senior, Cathedral City, Calif., Sierra High School (NR)
  7. Tatum Heikkila, junior, Aberdeen, Wash., Aberdeen High School (3)
  8. Eliana Bommarito, sophomore, Brighton Mich. Hartland High School (8)
  9. Hollie Espinoza, junior, Rhonert Park, Calif., Rancho High School (13)
  10. Juliannah Bolli, senior, San Jose, Calif., Silver Creek High School (2)
  11. Asia Rave, junior, Black River Falls, Wis., Black River Falls High School (9)
  12. Debranna Bealer, sophomore, North Pole, Alaska, Eielson High School (20)
  13. Larissa Bryant-Coleman, junior, New Haven, Ind., New Haven High School (19 at 180)
  14. Sujeydy Matos, freshman, New York, N.Y., Inwood Academy (19)
  15. Maggie Myracle, sophomore, Bloomsdale, Mo., Ste Genevieve High School (NR)
  16. Millie Peach, junior, Marengo, Iowa, Iowa Valley High School (17)
  17. Samyra Thomas, sophomore, Houston, Texas, Kashmere High School (NR)
  18. Mia Lazaurs, junior, Hazlet, N.J. Raritan High School (NR)
  19. Rosa Saucedo Ramirez, junior, Connell, Wash., Connell High School (NR)
  20. Myranda Johnson, junior, Olin, N.C., North Iredell High School (18)

225 Pounds

1. Isabeau Shalack, senior, Evergreen Park, Ill , Evergreen Park High School (1)

3. Lilian McCoy, senior, Petaluma, Calif., Casa Grande High School (4) 

3. Kyleigh KJ Haney, senior, Douglasville, Ga., Hiram High School (2) 

4. Hannah Francis, junior, Coppell, Texas, Coppell High School (3)

5. Isela Mendez, senior, Covina, Calif., Northview High School (NR) 

6. Jasmine Guerrero, junior, Loomis, Calif., Del Oro High School (5) 

7. Lexie Cole, junior, Holt, Mo., Kearney High School (6) 

8. Tangitenina Niutupuivaha, senior, Kahuku, Hawaii, Kahuku High School (10)

9. Chanel Siva, senior, Stanwood, Wash., Stanwood High School (11) 

10. Larresha Bryant-Coleman, senior, New Haven, Ind., New Haven High School (13) 

11. Traeh Haynes, junior, Cibolo, Texas, Steele High School (NR)

12. Valerie Smith, sophomore, Nashville, Tenn., McGavock High School (9) 

13. Sarah Sams, senior, senior, Parker, Colo., Douglas County High School (20 at 180) 

14. Kathleen Janis, senior, Layton, Utah, Layton High School, (8) 

15.  MaQuoia Bernabe, senior, Versailles, Ky, Woodford County High School (17) 

16. Dominque Diaz, junior, Brooklyn, N.Y., Seward High School (15) 

17. Kayleen Way, junior, Staten Island, N.Y., Curtis High School (NR) 

18. Rebeca Camacho, senior, Cerritos, Calif., Cerritos High School (NR) 

19. Madeleine Wadesisi, junior, Cleveland, Ohio, Cleveland Central Catholic High School (14)

20. Goddess Ma’alona-Faletogo, senior, Auburn, Wash., Thomas Jefferson High School (NR)

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6664748-national-girls-high-school-ranking-for-january-22-2020

Edited by Sommers
  • Like 1

Marshall county Tribune...

Rockets capture third consecutive dual match

Friday, January 24, 2020
Anthony S. Puca Sports Editor
3438668-L.jpg
The 2019-2020 Forrest Wrestling Team poses with the young members of the Marshall County Wrestling Club, who had an exhibition match with the Cascade youngsters after the high school match Thursday night at Chapel Hill.
Tribune photos by Anthony S. Puca

So much for not doing well in dual meets.

The Forrest Rockets faced a 24-0 deficit every time they took the mat, giving up as many as five weight classes due to forfeits in the early season, but they overcame the shortfall in each of the least three contests to post a 3-0 record for the week.

“That’s three in a row,” said a smiling Forrest coach Jason “Shooter” Hill. “It helps getting people back and being able to move and bump weight classes where we only give up three instead of five.”

“I’m really pleased with the guys, I couldn’t ask for a better group,” Hill said. “There is not very many, but their work ethic is just phenomenal, they put their heads down, they don’t complain, they just go to work and know what they have to do.”

3438670-L.jpg
The 2019-2020 Forrest Wrestling Cheerleaders from left are, Grace Van Slyke, Reghan Elkins, Ali Hoffman, Tori Gregory, Abbie Hill, Hope Tucker, Kelsie Hodge, and Isabelle Jackson.

Forrest hosted Columbia Central and Cheatham County on Tuesday and came away with a 48-24 win over the Lions before eking out a 37-36 victory over the Cubs.

On Thursday, the Rockets entertained Cascade and garnered points in every match except for one that wasn’t a forfeit to come away with a 54-10 blowout win over the Champions.

“My guys are getting in really good shape right now and they are hitting about the time of the year they need to,” Hill said. “They know they are making their descents down and they know it’s time to go.”

3438671-L.jpg
Forrest’s Jesmarie Negron gets ready to pin Cascade’s Natasia Chunn during the only girls bout of the night.

Jesmarie Negron started off the meet with the lone girls’ bout, battling Lady Champion Natasia Chunn in a 119-pound weight class match and the Forrest senior pinned the Cascade sophomore with 31 seconds remaining in the first round.

Negron (5-1) will compete in the Middle Tennessee Wrestling Officials Association Grand Championships 2020 at Wilson Central High School on Saturday.

3438672-L.jpg
Forrest eighth-grader Seth McCoy makes his move to pin Cascade’s Conner Cobble in the 120-pound weight class.

Eighth-grader Seth McCoy kicked off the boys’ action in a 120-pound bout with Connor Cobble that didn’t last long either with McCoy coming up with a pin with 57 seconds remaining in the first round to improve to 20-7 on the season.

Rocket grapplers Braiden Vanderploeg (126, 17-9) and Asa Nance (132, 6-8) were both awarded forfeits to make it 18-0 before Isaiah Smith (138) got the Champions on the board with a three-round, 12-0 major decision win over Forest Ozburn (6-11).

3438673-L.jpg
Forrest senior Carson Blackwell pinned David Bass from Cascade in the 145-pound weight division.

Senior Carson Blackwell (145, 23-8)), coming off a first place finish in last weekend’s Region 3A/AA Super Scramble, made short work of Davis Bass via a fall with 43 seconds remaining in the first round.

3438674-L.jpg
Hunter Pendley gets a big takedown before pinning Cascade’s Blake Olive.

Hunter Pendley (152) improved to 19-11 on the season when he went ahead 5-0 before taking down Blake Olive at the 3:57 mark of the bout.

Eighth-grader Sean Paul Febus (6-20) had a spirited 160-pound match with Elijah Arnold, facing a 4-3 first period deficit before coming back to take a 6-4 lead that turned in to a pin at the 3:17 mark of the bout.

3438675-L.jpg
Forrest eighth-grader Sean Paul Febus came up with six points when he pinned Elijah Arnold in the 160-pound weight class.

“That was a real big match for him (Febus),” Hill said. “He faced that same kid (Arnold) this past weekend at Nolensville and the kid pinned him in the first period, so for him he is just young and has got to get his confidence built up and go to work.”

3438676-L.jpg
Defending state champion Nick McClendon manhandles Cascade’s Jason Clukey before finishing him off with a first-round fall.

The big guns were next, beginning with defending state champion Nick McClendon (170), who sawed down both opponents he faced on Tuesday and it didn’t take the Forrest senior long on Thursday when he put Jason Clukey in the chicken wing for a pin with 1:17 left in the first period.

“We work on several stacks and turns off of it (chicken wing),” Hill said. “Noah (Hill) is in love with that move (chicken wing) for some reason and the hammer lock and Hunter Pendley did a good move off of what we call “cancel Christmas” and stuck his guy real fast.”

McClendon improved to 14-1 on the season.

Junior Noah Hill is like the river that keeps on a rolling and he came out like a tsunami Thursday night, taking a 12-1 first period lead in the 182-pound bout before pinning Cole West with 1:37 remaining in the second period.

3438678-L.jpg
Defending state champion Nick McClendon manhandles Cascade’s Jason Clukey before finishing him off with a first-round fall.

Hill, who improved to 27-2 on the campaign, is the defending state runner-up.

“They were both (McClendon and Hill) firing on all cylinders tonight, both of them,” Hill said. “It was a good job.”

There were double forfeits at 195 and 220 pounds.

Cascade’s Zach Becerra picked up a forfeit win at 285, there were double forfeits at 106, and Layne Bowman (113, 9-17) picked up a forfeit in the final weight class of the night.

“They have to work in the wrestling room, I’m putting them in there for double overtimes and triple overtimes, so I’m not going to let them get used to 30 seconds on and off,” Hill said. “This past weekend in Nolensville we beat some teams just because we were in shape, we are going to be in shape, and this is a sport where you have to be in shape.”

After the high school meet, the fans got a treat when the youth from the Marshall County Wrestling Club took on the Cascade youth in an exhibition bout.

There were smiles all around in the stands as the young boys and girls displayed some great wrestling techniques and an even greater pure spirt for the sport.

The Rockets entertain Marshall County for senior night on Tuesday.

Forrest 54, Cascade 10

Thursday, January 23

Chapel Hill

Girls

119 Pounds-Jesmarie Negron (Forrest, 5-1) over Natasia Chunn (Cascade), (Fall 0:31).

Boys

120 Pounds-Seth McCoy (Forrest) over Conner Cobble (Cascade), (Fall 0:57).

126-Braiden Vanderploeg (Forrest), Forfeit.

132-Asa Nance (Forrest), Forfeit.

138-Isaiah Smith (Cascade) over Forest Ozburn (Forrest), (MD 12-0).

145-Carson Blackwell (Forrest) over David Bass (Cascade), (Fall 1:17).

152-Hunter Pendley (Forrest) over Blake Olive (Cascade), (Fall 3:57).

160-Sean Paul Febus (Forrest) over Elijah Arnold (Cascade), (Fall 3:17).

170-Nick McClendon (Forrest) over Jason Clukey (Cascade), (Fall 0:43).

182-Noah Hill (Forrest) over Cole West (Cascade), (Fall 2:23).

195-Double Forfeit.

220-Double Forfeit.

285-Zach Becerra (Cascade), Forfeit.

106-Double Forfeit.

113-Layne Bowman (Forrest), Forfeit.

Forrest 48, Columbia Central 24

Tuesday, January 21

Chapel Hill

113 Pounds-Layne Bowman (Forrest), Forfeit.

120-Seth McCoy (Forrest), Forfeit.

126-Braiden Vanderploeg (Forrest), Forfeit.

132-Forest Ozburn (Forrest), Forfeit.

138-Carson Blackwell (Forrest), Forfeit.

145-Hunter Pendley (Forrest), Forfeit.

152-Timothy Smith (Columbia Central) over Sean Paul Febus (Forrest), (Fall 2:36).

160-Double Forfeit.

170-Nick McClendon (Forrest) over Jeremy Bendermon (Columbia Central), (Fall 2:52).

182-Noah Hill (Forrest) over Gray McMurtry (Columbia Central), (Fall 2:31).

195-Jaylen McCoy (Columbia Central), Forfeit.

220-Jovaughn Bray (Columbia Central), Forfeit.

285-Cecil Green (Columbia Central), Forfeit

106-Double Forfeit.

Forrest 37, Cheatham County 36

106 Pounds-Double Forfeit.

113-Layne Bowman (Forrest), Forfeit.

120-Mathew Beavers (Cheatham Co.) over Seth McCoy (Forrest), (Fall 1:37).

126-Braiden Vanderploeg (Forrest) over Daniel White (Cheatham Co.), (Fall 4:45).

132-Asa Nance (Forrest) over Calvin Shaw (Cheatham Co.), (Fall 4:58).

138-Tristen Shaw (Cheatham Co.) over Forest Ozburn (Forrest), (Fall 1:41).

145-Carson Blackwell (Forrest) over William Hendrix (Cheatham Co.), (Dec 5-0).

152-Hunter Pendley (Forrest) over Michael Porter (Cheatham Co.), (MD 11-3).

160-Timmy Kern (Cheatham Co.) over Sean Paul Febus (Forrest), (Fall 1:15).

170-Nick McClendon (Forrest) over Woodey Maynard (Cheatham Co.), (Fall 3:29).

182-Noah Hill (Forrest) over Simon Bassel (Cheatham Co.), (Fall 1:10).

195-Rolen Prater (Cheatham Co.), Forfeit.

220-Destin Nash (Cheatham Co.), Forfeit.

285-Jay Hires (Cheatham Co.), Forfeit.

Daily Memphian

Persistence pays for Cordova wrestler Jayla Washington

By John VarlasUpdated: January 27, 2020 12:47 PM CT | Published: January 27, 2020 4:05 AM CT
<strong>Cordova wrestler Jayla Washington (right) takes down Cam Wimberly during practice at Cordova High School on Jan. 23, 2020. Washington is the top-ranked wrestler in the state in her 215-pound weight class.</strong> (Jim Weber/Daily Memphian)

Cordova wrestler Jayla Washington (right) takes down Cam Wimberly during practice at Cordova High School on Jan. 23, 2020. Washington is the top-ranked wrestler in the state in her 215-pound weight class. (Jim Weber/Daily Memphian

When it’s all said and done and her high school career is over, Cordova High wrestler Jayla Washington will be able to sit back, smile and fondly remember the toughest opponent she had to defeat in her career.

Her mom.

Washington, who is the state’s top-ranked competitor in the 215-pound class, hasn’t been challenged much this year. Heading into the AAA regional tournament that begins Friday at Nolensville High, she’s 16-0. Her supporters often get frustrated that her matches end before they even get their phones ready to record.

“They’re like, ‘It’s over?,” she said, laughing.

By all accounts, it will be a big upset if anyone other than Washington is standing on the first-place podium at the state tournament on Feb. 22. And it will certainly be a big deal, not only for Washington but for Shelby-Metro girls wrestling in general, which is still in the growing stages compared to other parts of the state.

She’d be the first girl from Shelby County to win a state title since the TSSAA officially sanctioned the sport in 2014.

First though, Washington said she had to pin down her mother, Rachel Brewster. Winning that battle took the better part of two years.

“I played football in middle school,” said the soft-spoken and serious senior. “My mom’s friend was a coach on the team so she knew that he’d look out for me. But then ninth-grade, 10th-grade I was like, ‘Mom, can I wrestle?' She wouldn’t let me so I just kept begging and begging.

“I guess I just wore her down. She was like, ‘OK, just don’t break your neck’.”

Since she got her mom’s blessing, it’s been full speed ahead. In her first year of varsity competition as a junior in 2019, Washington lost just twice — once at regionals and once at state, where she finished in third place. And she’s been even better this year.

A wrestling match that goes to the distance last six minutes and as Cordova coach Charles Cooper points out, the cumulative time Washington spends on the mat during the three or four matches that comprise a tournament doesn’t come anywhere close to that.

<strong>Jayla Washington is the top-ranked wrestler in Tennessee in her weight and class. If she wins the state tournament Feb. 22, she’ll be be the first girl from Shelby County to claim a state title since the TSSAA officially sanctioned the sport in 2014.</strong> (Jim Weber/Daily Memphian)

Jayla Washington is the top-ranked wrestler in Tennessee in her weight and class. If she wins the state tournament Feb. 22, she’ll be be the first girl from Shelby County to claim a state title since the TSSAA officially sanctioned the sport in 2014. (Jim Weber/Daily Memphian)

“She’s a natural,” he said. “She picked it up faster than most of the boys and (now) she owns the room. She doesn’t have any competition here in Memphis. And she’s our captain; she motivates the guys. She’s the first to begin work and the last to finish.”

Washington, who is considering joining the Navy after high school, adds, “I just like the discipline of it. And being physical. At first, the regular wrestling team was shocked when I beat them. The guys on the football team we’re like, ‘You lost to a girl?' The guys on the wrestling team were like, ‘Well, you wrestle her then. She’s no ordinary girl.’”

As such, Washington has had to travel the state for competition. She’s competed this year in tournaments at Nolensville, Clarksville, Independence and Rossview while getting a helping hand from the wrestling team at Collierville. Mary Catherine Correia oversees the only full-strength girls team in the area and Washington has worked out and traveled with the Dragons all season.

The experience has been crucial to Washington’s development.

“She’s traditionally a heavyweight so she does a lot of throws and a lot of upper-body moves,” said Correia, who was herself at state champion at Collierville back in 2010 and went on to compete in college.

“Here, I’ve kind of forced her to learn shots and things she doesn’t necessarily get to do in matches. She has hit several actual full-blown takedown moves and I’d love to attribute that to her being more comfortable. Just having a little bit more diversity in terms of wrestling partners.

“Guys and girls don’t wrestle the same … they don’t lose weight the same, their bodies are different, their emotions are different. So being in here with a team of girls that are on the same mission she’s on, I’m sure has helped.”

That ultimate goal of that mission is of course a state title. Washington needs only a top-four finish at regionals to advance to the competition at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center in Franklin. Arlington produced a pair of state champions in 2019 and there’s always CBHS, which has dominated local wrestling for a long time. A victory by Washington wouldn’t signal a changing of the guard by any means but it would be an important breakthrough.

“I don’t know,” she answered when asked what she’d do if she won a state title. “I might cry.”

Whatever happens, her mom will be there cheering along with the zeal of the newly converted.

“She only knows one (term),” said Washington. “Pin. She doesn’t know anything but, ‘Pin them Jayla!' But I’d love to bring a title back to my school. My mom was like, ‘Jayla you could be first (at state) and the first from Memphis.' So that’s like two firsts.’”

TOPICS

TSSAA HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING CORDOVA HIGH COLLIERVILLE HIGH GIRLS WRESTLING JAYLA WASHINGTON
John Varlas

John Varlas

John Varlas is a lifelong Memphian who has covered high school sports in various capacities for over 20 years.

Tennessean...

Fairview High Jackets Wrestling swarm their competition

CONTRIBUTED BY BIFF CURTIS, FAIRVIEW YOUTH WRESTLING  |  FOR THE FAIRVIEW OBSERVER
10:16 a.m. EST Jan. 27, 2020

Coach Bubba Derrick and his stable of wrestlers made their way east to Greeneville Saturday, Jan. 18, to take on wrestlers from 18 other teams across the state.  Although they were two wrestlers short of a full 14-man team on this trek, the Jackets dominated several weight classes and finished second place in the overall team standings 24 points shy of first place. 

All 12 wrestlers placed, earning team points:

Riley Bennett – Champion - 138 lbs (26 pts)

Malachi Bennett – Champion - 145 lbs (22 pts)

Marco Pukl – Champion - 160 bs (46 pts)

Cody DeLano – Champion - 182 lbs (25 pts)

Jacob Clevenger – 2nd Place - 195 lbs (20 pts)

Keegan Seaver – 3rd place – 120 lbs (17 pts)

Blake Mitchell – 3rd place – 132 lbs (17 pts)

Zach Derrick – 4th place – 126 lbs (11 pts)

Josh Helm – 5th place – 106 lbs (10.5 pts)

Kendrick Curtis – 5th place – 152 lbs (32 pts)

Jack Baker – 5th place – HWT – (30 pts)

Max Morrill – 6th place – 113 bs (4.5 pts)

The following Tuesday, with a much shorter distance to travel, the entire Jackets team travelled to Nolensville High School to face Brentwood, Nolensville, and Eagleville with a quest to continue their dominance of their Williamson County rivals.  With the post season kicking off with the Region Duals at home on Friday, the Jackets were looking for one last opportunity to sharpen their skills and test their meddle against quality teams. 

The first match was against Brentwood who the Jackets narrowly lost to earlier in the season.  The contest started at 170 with three quick pins for the Jackets by Luke Maxwell, Cody DeLano, and Jacob Clevenger.  Momentum temporarily swung back to Brentwood with a forfeit, two pins, and a 1-point decision; making the team score 21-18 Brentwood.  However, the Jackets rallied with five pins in the next seven bouts by Keegan Seaver, Zach Derrick, Riley and Malachi Bennett, and Kendrick Curtis to take the revenge victory, 48-30.

The second match pitted the Jackets against an undermanned and undersized Eagleville team allowing Coach Derrick to get more meaningful and quality mat time for some of his back-up wrestlers.  The Jackets cruised through the contest with a 54-30 win.

The last match of the night was Fairview’s first contest with Nolensville this season.  Nolensville made it to the state finals last year before dropping to Pigeon Forge, so this was a barometer for the young Jackets team who have held a team goal of a State Championship since the first day of practice. 

There was a little gamesmanship in the lineups with each Coach trying to move various wrestlers around to see how they would stack up at a different weight class and competitor should they meet again in the State Duals in two weeks.  Fairview came out strong and aggressive and walked away with a 40-27 victory.

On the season, Fairview has now beaten all Williamson County public schools in both A-AA and AAA, outside of a three-point loss to Page earlier in the season.  The Jackets look to win the Region Duals and complete their goal and mission of winning a team State Championship at the Ag Expo Center in Franklin February 7 and 8.

10:16 a.m. EST Jan. 27, 2020

------------------

Chattanoogan...

Prep Wrestling: No. 7 Bradley Central Pins Soddy Daisy, 65-12; No. 2 Cleveland Steam Rolls Walker Valley, 59-6

Bears Garner Eight Pins En Route To Win; Raiders Total Seven Pins In Victory

Friday, January 24, 2020

Bradley Central 65, Soddy Daisy 12

match started at 120

106: Ethan Wilson (BC) pinned Lincoln Harvey, :35

113: Easton Lipsey (BC) tech.

fall Hunter Bunkes, 19-4, 5:31

120:Luke Belcher (BC) pinned Tristen Hight, 5:10

126: Taron Patterson (BC) pinned Samuel Grier, :45

132: Gaven Hughes (BC) pinned Jacob Allen, 1:57

138: Seth Gregory (BC) won by forfeit

145: Chase Stansberry (BC) pinned Cole Prestwood, 2:00

152: Austin Lynn (BC) pinned Gavin Hamrick, :51

160: Landon Lewis (SD) pinned Knox Watson, 5:40

170: Tyrone McDonald (BC) pinned Noah Addison 3:42

182: Hayden Maynor pinned (SD) pinned Cody McDaniel, 1:24

195: double forfeit

220: Gavin Sewell (BC) won by forfeit

285: Austin McClure (BC) pinned Landon Yates, :55

Cleveland 59, Walker Valley 6

(Match started at 160)

106: Bentley Ellison (C) pinned Brett Harris, 0:52 

113: Arlo Laxton (C) pinned Joshua Bramlett, 1:50

120: Jackson Bradford (C) major dec. Alex McCord, 11-1

126: Hagen Cooper (C) pinned David Cantrell, 5:08

132: Charles Randall (C) pinned Garrison McCann (WV), 2:33

138: Joey Foley (C) pinned Markus Rich, 1:49

145: Garrett Stevenson (C) pinned Jackson Davis, 3:21

152: double forfeit

160: Nate Schilling (C) major dec. Michael Teasley, 15-5

170: Zach Brezna (C) pinned Caden Decker, 0:2;

182: Tetoe Boyd (C) dec. Heath Tanksley, 7-2

195: Kallum Lowe (WV) dec. William Harris,3-2  

220: Ashton Davis win by forfeit

285: Jadon Langford (WV) dec. Nick Nicodemis, 4-1

The News...

Tullahoma wrestling teams dominate on senior night

Jeff Lester

Before wrestling started on Thursday, Tullahoma High School presented a plaque to longtime assistant coach Jeff Lester. This past summer, Lester was inducted into the Tennessee Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. Presenting Lester (left) the plaque is THS Athletic Director John Olive and THS boys wrestling coach Al Morris. 

Zach Birdsong Photo

Even before wrestling got underway on Thursday, both Tullahoma High School wrestling teams were in celebratory moods.

Before starting their matches on Saturday, the Lady Wildcats and Wildcats honored the senior members of its teams and the senior mat girls. The school then honored assistant coach Jeff Lester with a plaque after he was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame this past August.

That celebration carried itself onto the mats, where both Tullahoma teams dominated. The Lady Wildcats controlled Sequatchie County on their way to a 51-6 win. The Wildcats defeated Sequatchie County 64-12, before ending the night with a 69-12 win over Coffee County.

Against Sequatchie County, the Tullahoma boys team won the first eight matchups, six of which came by pin (six points apiece), in order to take a 48-0 lead. The other two wins for the Wildcats in that opening stretch came by forfeit (six points) as Elijah Cowan and Tydrell Mitchell went unopposed in their matchups.

Landen Willette led off the night with a win for the Wildcats, after he pinned Ammon Edwards with 48 seconds remaining in the first round. Aaron Champion followed by pinning Kaleb Edwards with 29 seconds left in the first period.

Trint Partin then pinned Tavin Birdwell with four seconds remaining in the opening round. Hunter Parks added a second period win over Gavin Lee, picking up the win 50 seconds into the second round.

Christian Jordan followed by pinning Jeffery Pennick with 30 seconds remaining in the first period. Jacquez Elliott then pinned Tony Cisto with 44 seconds left in the second round.

Sequatchie got on the board after Jonathan Bloom pinned Baydin Partin with 48 seconds remaining in the second period, making the score 48-6.

Tullahoma answered by closing out the match with three wins in the final four matches. Hayden Malone led off that stretch by scoring an 11-2 major decision (four points) over Hunter Nolan.

Caleb Adkins went unopposed in his matchup, before Jerzy Hendrix scored a pin to close out the match. Hendrix pinned Orion Wilson 51 seconds into the second round, to make the final score 64-12.

Wildcats hammer Coffee County

Like their first matchup, the Wildcats seized control early, winning four straight matches to start the night. Three of those wins were by forfeit, as Cowan, Trint Partin and Jordan all went unopposed in their bouts.

Parks picked up the lone win against an opponent in that opening stretch for the Wildcats. Parks pinned Justin Ralph 52 seconds into the match, helping give his team a 24-0 advantage.

Coffee County got on the board by winning two out of the next three matchups, making the score 30-12. Christopher Speagle pinned Jacquez Elliott with 19 seconds left in the second round, while Jeremiah Wardell won by forfeit.

In between those two wins for Coffee County, Mitchell picked up a win for the Wildcats. Mitchell pinned Caridn Stump 50 seconds into the opening round.

After Coffee County won its last matchup, Tullahoma closed out the night with seven-straight wins to pick up the 69-12 victory. Braydin Partin and Champion won their matchups by forfeit during that stretch.

Malone pinned Dalron Long with eight seconds remaining in the first round. Adkins then followed with a win, pinning Gabriel Westbrook 57 seconds into the opening period.

Cole Morse then scored a 13-6 decision (three points) over Hunter Massey. Hendrix then pinned Caleb Boothe 27 seconds into the first round. Willette closed out the match by pinning Hunter Waring 49 seconds into the opening period.

Tullahoma will next close out the regular season with a trip to Warren County on Tuesday. Wrestling is slated to get underway at 6 p.m.

Girls Wrestling....

Lady Wildcats win big over Sequatchie Co.

Like the boys team, the Tullahoma girls took control early over Sequatchie County, as it won six-straight matchups to take a commanding 33-0 lead.

Destiny Shelton, Laken Potter, Divine Desilets, Olivia Hogan and Tayla Sheffield, all won their matchups by pins. Kaleigh Royal scored a 6-0 win over Lindsey Weaver.

Savannah Bowman scored a forfeit win for Sequatchie County’s only win of the matchup.

Tullahoma closed out the night with three-straight wins. Taylor Harris and Christina McGuire won their matchups by forfeit, while Haley Vivers scored a win by pin.

The Lady Wildcats were next scheduled to head to the Middle Tennessee Wrestling Officials Association Grand Championship on Saturday at McGavock High School. As of press time, the results from that matchup were unavailable.

Tullahoma will then travel to Warren County on Tuesday with matchups scheduled for 6 p.m. The Lady Wildcats will then take part in the Girls Individual Region Tournament, which opens on Friday and concludes on Saturday at Nolensville High School.

Union County claims ninth straight championship in state duals

TheGleaner.com

KEVIN PATTON | HENDERSON GLEANER
Updated 18 hours ago

COLUMBIA, Ky. -- Union County won its ninth straight small school division title in the Kentucky Wrestling Coaching Association’s state duals on Saturday at Lindsey Wilson College.

The Braves finished 4-0 in Saturday’s event, beating John Hardin 68-12, Harrison County 72-6 and Wayne County 70-6 before beating LaRue County 57-14 in the finals.

Union County had 14 unbeaten wrestlers on Saturday -- Trayce Eckman, Gabe Adams, Jake Insko, Matthew Moore, Trevor Pogue, Payne Carr, Savanna Bacon, Stephen Little, Quinton Cox, Dalton Russelburg, Micah Ervin, Darius Moore, Davis Pike and Matthias Ervin.

The Braves will be competing for their 17 straight First Region championship Feb. 8 at Trigg County.

Edited by Sommers