Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Wilson Co Post...

WRESTLING -- 26 Wilson Countians head to state

2 of 3
Wilson Central wrestlers

CLARKSVILLE -- Twelve Wilson Central wrestlers earned berths in this week's TSSAA State Individual Wrestling tournament at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center.

• Submitted

FCS wrestlers

CHATTANOOGA -- Friendship Christian wrestlers Ryan Jackson (left) and Chase Eakes will be in Franklin this week for the Division II TSSAA Invitational State.

Tournament starts Thursday in Franklin

A total of 26 Wilson County athletes have earned berths in the TSSAA State Individual Wrestling Tournament which begins Thursday in Franklin.

Mt. Juliet, Lebanon and Wilson Central participated in the Region 6 AAA meet at Rossview High in Clarksville

Wilson Central will send a whopping 12 grapplers to state -- including region champions Nick Mercante at 106, Hunter Borders at 113, Anthony Pyron at 160 and Jesse Richardson at 285.

Other Wildcat qualifiers include: Grant Fetters, 3rd place at 120; Avery Warnock, runner-up at 126; Riley Fort, runner-up at 132; Cole Fort, runner-up at 138; Steven Fisak, runner-up at 145; Levi Stone, runner-up at 152; Anthony Glasgow, fourth place at 170 and Matthew Hills, third place at 182.

Lebanon's Eli Nelms won the region championship at 220.

Other Blue Devil qualifiers include: Kashis Redd, fourth place at 106; Ross Keith, runner-up at 120; Dejuan "Waterbug" Williamson, fourth place at 132; Eli Clemmons, fourth place at 145 and Ryan Wood, runner-up at 160.

Mt. Juliet's Dominic Love won the Region 6AAA championship at 195, improving to 30-2 on the season.

Three other Golden Bears earns berths in the state, including: Wade Savage, runner-up at 285; and fourth place finishers Tanner Higham (152) and Aidan Smith (160).

Based on individual performances, Wilson Central won the Region 6AAA championship with 243 points, well ahead of host Rossview with 178 points.

Lebanon placed fifth out of 14 teams with 119 points and Mt. Juliet placed seventh with 83 points.

Watertown's wrestling team traveled to East Ridge High School to participate in the Region 3 A-AA meet and had two grapplers earn spots in the state tournament.

Keegan Green advances to state thanks to a fourth place finish at 126 while 285-pounder Isaac Stutts will go thanks to his third place finish.

Two Friendship Christian School Commanders fought their way to the state at the Division II East Sectional at Chattanooga Baylor.

Ryan Jackson returns to the state tournament thanks to a runner-up finish at 285 while Chase Eakes advances with a third place finish at 120.

Event site -- The Williamson County Agricultural Exposition Center is the host site of the state individuals and is located at I-65 and Peytonsville Road (Exit #61).

Tickets are $10 for school-age children and older and are good for one-day admission only.  Parking is $5 per vehicle per day.

wilsonpost.com
223 N Cumberland StreetSuites A & B
Lebanon, TN 37087
Phone: 615-444-6008
Email: [email protected]
Main Street Media of Tennessee, 223 N Cumberland StreetSuites A & B Lebanon, TN | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

pixel.gif?timestamp=1582036780518&site_uuid=b1ad8512-0208-404a-8bef-42066664235a&hostname=www.wilsonpost.com&ad_unit=celebretainment.com_Mobile_300x250_1&impression_type=il&device=mobile&country_code=USpixel.gif?timestamp=1582036780519&site_uuid=b1ad8512-0208-404a-8bef-42066664235a&hostname=www.wilsonpost.com&ad_unit=celebretainment.com_Mobile_300x250_2&impression_type=il&device=mobile&country_code=USpixel.png?cc_dmp_id=01DT866YGR9FBT690GDSFNJVH1&insti_id=d255bd11-e7b7-9126-c50f-2c31817640d9709351.gif?partner_uid=01DT866YGR9FBT690GDSFNJVH1pixel.png?cc_dmp_id=01DT866YGR9FBT690GDSFNJVH1&insti_id=d255bd11-e7b7-9126-c50f-2c31817640d9709351.gif?partner_uid=01DT866YGR9FBT690GDSFNJVH1pixel.png?cc_dmp_id=01DT866YGR9FBT690GDSFNJVH1&insti_id=d255bd11-e7b7-9126-c50f-2c31817640d9709351.gif?partner_uid=01DT866YGR9FBT690GDSFNJVH1pixel.png?cc_dmp_id=01DT866YGR9FBT690GDSFNJVH1&insti_id=d255bd11-e7b7-9126-c50f-2c31817640d9709351.gif?partner_uid=01DT866YGR9FBT690GDSFNJVH1---++----+------++++++--------+----+-+

RobersonCo News Connection...

13 Robertson-area wrestlers qualify for Class A-AA state tournament
13 Robertson-area wrestlers qualify for Class A-AA state tournament

Springfield’s Bell, Richards advance to Class AAA state wrestling tourney

1 of 2
A15I0496.jpg

Springfield senior Cooper Richards took first place in the 185-pound class. 

• FILE/CASEY GOWER

IMG_1727.JPG

Springfield sophomore Trent Bell (top) finished in fourth place in the 113-pound class

Two Springfield High School wrestlers – Cooper Richards and Trent Bell – qualified for the TSSAA Class AAA state tournament by placing at the Region 6-AAA individual championships on Saturday at Rossview High School.

Richards continued his stellar senior campaign by taking first place in the 182-pound weight class. After enjoying a first-round bye, Richards pinned Lebanon’s Ryan Toporowski in the quarterfinals and Wilson Central’s Matthew Hills in the semifinals. He won the title with a 7-4 decision over Clarksville senior Walter Harper.

Richards improved to 39-1 overall in individual matches. He qualified for the state tournament his sophomore and junior seasons after a broken collarbone derailed his freshman year.

More UC.... Lexington Harold-Leader...

HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS

Record-breaking high school dynasty has a family at its heart

FEBRUARY 17, 2020 10:42 AM 
  •  
Play Video
Duration 1:39

Union County family at heart of record championship run

Coach Robert Ervin along with his brothers, sons and nephews have created a tradition of state championship wrestling in Union County. With his youngest sons set to graduate, they had their best season yet. BY JARED PECK

High school wrestling is family, figuratively and literally. The same last names pop up in the pairings meet after meet, year after year for school after school.

Woodford County had coach Joe Carr Sr. and Joe Carr Jr. help the Yellow Jackets to their record 13 team state championships during their time.

But in Union County, the program that’s barreling down on Woodford’s records, it’s the Ervin family who has touched every decade a Brave has taken the mat — 18 from the clan total, in fact — brothers and cousins, fathers and sons.

LocalNews at Your Fingertips

Get unlimited digital access for just $3.99 a month to #ReadLocal anytime, on any device.

Union County, a small school with an enrollment just more than 600, qualified 13 wrestlers for the event’s 14 classes. Ten of those reached their class’s semifinals. Nine reached the finals. Six won individual titles — a team record.

Before Saturday’s final round had even started, Union had clinched the overall team championship and broken the team scoring record. It was 257.5 points, a South Oldham mark untouched since 2003. It’s now 299 points.

“I have to wake up tomorrow and maybe pinch myself,” Coach Ervin said. “When you have something happen like this, everything’s got to fall in the right places, and it did this weekend.”

The six individual titles included Micah Ervin’s in the 182-pound class and Matthias Ervin at 285.

“I went out there and represented something bigger than myself,” said Micah Ervin, who pinned his finals opponent within 20 seconds. “I represented my family and my community. It just made me fight harder, you know.”

FAMILY THING

Ervins have been fighting for Union County wrestling for almost as long as there has been a team in Morganfield.

Coach Ervin himself was a two-time state champion and the tournament’s Most Outstanding Wrestler in 1981.

“My mom and dad — they’re 84 years old — and they still, every fundraiser, they’ll cook, and they’re still right in the middle of it,” Coach Ervin said. “And I’d say we’ll be part of it as long as we’re breathing.”

Robert’s brothers Brad and Tim wrestled, too, and serve as assistant coaches along with son Caleb. Gary, the oldest brother and first Union wrestler in the family, and one of his sons, Luke, helped with the state championship radio broadcast for WMSK-AM/FM.

“They’ve been brought up in it,” WMSK broadcaster David Curtis said. “If you’re an Ervin, (people) say, ‘What class do you wrestle in?’ It’s not ‘if’ you’re going to wrestle, it’s ‘What weight are you going to wrestle?’”

While Saturday was historic for Union, it was also bittersweet for its coach, who saw the last of his sons put on the powder blue singlet. He’ll still have a nephew on the roster next season, but the 2021 campaign will be the first time in 18 years one of his own boys won’t be suited up.

“It’s kind of an end of a cycle. I was looking in my state tournament rooms last spring, and it was emotional,” Coach Ervin said. “They’re ready to move on, so I’m ready. It will be a whole new thing for me, too.”

Coach Ervin recognizes how difficult it’s been for his sons carrying the legacy of the Ervin name.

“They handle it well,” he said. “They always compete well. We try not to put too much pressure on them.”

Micah admits he feels it. OIder brother Saul had three state titles. Cousin Brock had five. The list goes on.

“I ain’t going to lie, it’s a little bit of pressure. My cousins and brothers have had a lot of success, but I’m proud to represent it,” Micah said.

Matthias won his third straight title, a feat made more remarkable considering the difficulties he faced as a young child.

Play Video
Duration 1:13

Photo slideshow: 2020 KHSAA State Wrestling Championships

Union County won six individual state titles and team title at the 2020 KHSAA State Wrestling Championships. The Braves broke the team score record by more than 41 points. BY MATT GOINS

‘A LOT OF ISSUES’

When Matthias and Micah were toddlers, their father got a phone call at the state tournament. It wasn’t good news.

“We don’t talk about his story much. … I had to leave in 2003, and we went and got (Matthias) evaluated in the children’s hospital there in Louisville.”

As the twins developed, Matthias’ differences from his brother became apparent.

“He was nonverbal, real hypersensitive and had a lot of issues … and was diagnosed with autism,” Coach Ervin said.

As devastating as the news was, there was only determination from it — by the entire family. There were strategies to help with Matthias’ diagnosis of atypical autism and pervasive developmental disorder they learned about from The Family Hope Center.

“Every day from the time he was three to five, I’d have to lay some boxes out in a building and he’d crawl a mile a day on his hands and knees,” Coach Ervin said. “It’s called cross-patterning. I had all my kids and my whole family (doing it) every day, seven days a week.”

There were other exercises, too, all aimed at improving brain function and coordination.

In two years, Matthias began speaking. At 6, he began asking questions.

“Then we thought, OK, now he’s going to know me as a dad. At the time he didn’t even know me as a dad,” Coach Ervin said, fighting tears at the memory.

He’s come a long way since.

“It was kind of rough for me to get back to normal,” Matthias said. “People said I wasn’t going to be normal. But I know my dad never stopped believing. He told me, one day, he wanted to watch me win the state title. And now, tonight, I’ve won by third title.”

Not only that, Matthias and Micah will both continue their careers at Chattanooga. Matthias wants to one day work with special needs kids.

“It’s something that I’m really proud of,” Coach Ervin said. “I think it’s a good story of hope for anybody. The adversity that he came through — there’s a lot of people nowadays that have kids with that diagnosis and if you’re able to work really hard and are able to find the right people to help train you, you can really make a difference in their lives.”

MAKING A DIFFERENCE

Wrestling is not just some pastime for the Ervins. It’s a tool to help change the lives of others.

“(It’s about) seeing what we just saw right there,” Coach Ervin said, pointing to one of his state champions. “That young man going up into the crowd and hugging his mom and dad and how much memories and emotions that it brings to them and the relationships. Four of my coaches are kids that I coached. And they just want to give back and be part of it.”

Union County will celebrate for a day, take off for week and get right back at developing the next set of champions as soon as possible. Everyone’s expected to help out with their elementary school camp next week. They’re @WrestlingCounty on Twitter and everywhere else.

“For a small town, (wrestling has) meant a lot,” Coach Ervin said. “It’s meant a lot to our family. It’s kind of helped shape everybody. The lessons that our family learned from it, and what we were able give back to other kids as being part of the program is something I’ll never forget.”

Coach Ervin tried to step back and retire from coaching a few years ago. It didn’t take.

“It’s hard to give something up when you feel so much love,” he said.

WRESTLING ERVINS

(With relation to Union County Coach Robert Ervin)

• Gary Ervin (brother): The oldest brother and first wrestling Ervin who helps commentate on the hometown radio station. Co-founder of family business Ervin Cable Construction. Took part in the CBS reality competition show “The Amazing Race” with his daughter Mallory twice (seasons 17-18).

• Tim Ervin (brother): A member of Union County’s first state championship team in 1976. Onetime head coach and now an assistant.

• Robert Ervin (self): Two-time state champ (1981-82), Most Outstanding Wrestler (MOW) in 1981. Head coach since 2002.

• Brad Ervin (brother): State champ (1992) and three-time placer. Now an assistant coach.

• Max Ervin (nephew): Tim’s son and state champ (2005).

• Mitch Ervin (nephew): Another son of Tim’s. Two-time state champ (2007-08) as individual and team member. 2007 MOW.

• Caleb Ervin (son): Three-time state champ (2009-11) and four-time finalist and member of the 2008 and 2011 team titles. MOW in 2011.

• Gabe Ervin (nephew): Gary’s son. State placer and member of 2011 title team.

• Luke Ervin (nephew): Gary’s son. State champion (2009) and member of the 2008 title team.

• Isaac Ervin (son): State champion (2009) and member of 2007 and 2008 title teams.

• Brock Ervin (nephew): Tim’s son. Five-time state champ (2010-2014) and 2014 MOW, Member of the 2011 and 2014 title teams.

• Cole Sherman (nephew): Sister Robin’s son. Place winner and member of 2014 and 2016 title teams.

• Conner Sherman (nephew): Sister Robin’s son. Two-time placer and member of 2014 and 2016 title teams.

• Saul Ervin (son): Three-time state champ (2015, 2017, 2018), four-time finalist; member of 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 state title teams.

• Payton Ervin (nephew): Brad’s son. Member of 2016-19 title teams.

• Matthias Ervin (son): Three-time state champion and member of four state title teams (2017-2020)

• Micah Ervin (son): Two-time state champ (2019-20), five-time placer. Has been part of five state title teams (2016-2020).

• Paxton Ervin (nephew): Brad’s son. Member of 2019-20 state title teams.

2020 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM

Wrestler (Weight Class)-Individual Place. Trayce Eckman, (113)-1st; Gavin Rickets (120); Glenn Mayes (126); Gabe Adams (132)-3rd; Jake Insko (138)-1st; Trevor Pogue (145)-2nd; Payne Carr (152)-2nd; Dalton Russelburg (160)-1st; Stephen Little (170)-1st; Micah Ervin (182)-1st; Corithian Seales-Portee (195); Darius Moore (220)-2nd; Matthias Ervin (285)-1st.

Complete results online: https://bit.ly/37ySXoG

Union County fans cheered on the team Saturday during the KHSAA State Wrestling Championships.
Union County assistant coach Brooks Black applauded Matthias Ervin as he hoisted his father and Coach Robert Ervin after he defeated DeSales’ Dejuan Watkins to win the 285-pound title Saturday during the KHSAA State Wrestling Championships.
Union County Coach Robert Ervin hugged son Micah Ervin after he won the 182-pound title Saturday during the KHSAA State Wrestling Championships.

1 of 5

Union County assistant coach Brooks Black applauded Matthias Ervin as he hoisted his father and Coach Robert Ervin after he defeated DeSales’ Dejuan Watkins to win the 285-pound title Saturday during the KHSAA State Wrestling Championships. MATT GOINS
Profile Image of Jared Peck
Jared Peck, the Herald-Leader’s Digital Sports Writer, covers high school athletics and has been with the company as a writer and editor for more than 19 years.
------------
more...

Kentucky New Era...

Bussell wins state title as Colonels finish runner-up    
Bussell wins state title as Colonels finish runner-up
Colonels grab best finish at state wrestling since 1988
By Tyler Dixon New Era sports editor 16 hrs ago  0
1 of 13

LEXINGTON — When the dust settled Saturday at Alltech Arena in Lexington, the Christian County Colonels did something they haven’t done in a long time.

Along with Niko Bussell’s state championship, the Colonels placed nine wrestlers on the podium at the KHSAA State Wrestling Championship and finished runners-up to Union County for their best finish since 1988’s state championship as the Braves broke a state record with 299 points to claim their fifth-straight state title.

Christian County coach Robert Burnham was named the 2020 KYWCA Coach of the Year, but he said he’d give that up in a second.

“I’d give up everything to be first as a team,” he said. “I’m honored that the other coaches in the state thought I was the coach of the year, but I’ve already said, it’s not me as a coach, it’s a staff. As far as I’m concerned it’s a staff of the year because I couldn’t do this without my assistant coaches.”

The Colonels put three wrestlers in the finals and while they only grabbed one state title, Burnham said it’s a big step forward as it solidifies the foundation they’ve built.

“For me, for my time, this is the most we’ve had in the finals, it’s the most we’ve had on the podium,” he said. “We put nine on the podium, I’ve never had nine players … If this is any other year, 200 points wins … I’m not upset. I’m very happy. I would love to win one, I still want to win one. We’ve gone right back now and we’ve already started thinking about what we’re going to do for next year. We don’t want this to be a one-time-only thing.”

Union County cruised to their fifth-straight title as the Braves wrapped up the championship by mid-afternoon.

Burnham said he’s never seen a team like the Braves.

“Union’s team is a special team,” he said. “You score 299 points, my hats off to them. But they can’t keep it up forever or at least I hope not … That’s the best I’ve ever seen. I don’t ever remember people having nine people in the finals. I got nine on the podium, they’ve got nine in the finals.”

The Colonels went a long time without a state champion and now they have one in back-to-back seasons as Jakerion Merritt won the title a year ago.

Burnham said his wrestlers did everything they could do.

“I’m ecstatic,” he said. “I’m very happy with how the season went, how the season ended. I think our kids did everything they could possibly do to be successful and the best part about it is Niko got him one.”

Christian County went into the weekend with five seniors. Four of them finished their careers with medals.

“All my seniors got on the podium except for one and we’re crushed for Neil (Aldridge),” he said. “If there’s a harder worker in the state, I want to meet him.”

But Burnham said that wasn’t the most important thing.

“Every one of my seniors is going to move on to something else,” he said. “That’s all you can ask as a coach that they move forward or have an opportunity to move forward.”

Fellow Colonels Gage Fowler (113 pounds) and Cameron Coleman (182 pounds) each finished runner-up in their respective class as Merritt finished third at 145 pounds.

Trigg County’s Colin Stevens finished runner-up at 170 pounds as he finished his Wildcat career with three top-three finishes.

Stevens said he doesn’t know how to define his legacy right now.

“My minds kind of blank right now,” he said. “It really hasn’t kicked in that I’m done but it probably will later tonight. Going down as one of the greats from Trigg County so far is great but I hope my journey doesn’t end here. I hope I can go back and help coach and help form some of those wrestlers that are in the stands right now.”

Much like his brother, Stevens has formed a bond with the other wrestlers on the Wildcat roster.

“Those kids mean the world to me,” he said. “That’s family to me. Every single one of them is my brother. I just want to see them succeed more than me. Not make the same mistakes and go out there and wrestler and have fun and turn into a better man throughout this.”

Throughout his career, Stevens’ family was right beside him every step of the way.

He said he wouldn’t be where he is without them.

“It’s a great feeling to have family,” he said. “Not only up in the stands but on the mat with you. After a win, they’re there to help you grow, get better and tell you where you messed up. After a loss, they’re there to keep your head up.”

Gage Fowler - 2nd Place (113 pounds)
Fowler fell to Union County’s Trayce Eckman by pin-fall in the third period Saturday and Fowler said he could have done a few things differently.

The junior was banged up for the better part of the season and said that’s going to be the thing he worries about the most as the season ends.

“This offseason I’m just going to focus on getting healthy,” he said. “I’ve had shoulder problems in both shoulders so my biggest goal is to come back from that and be stronger next season.”

Fowler said they had a lot of expectations this season and it all started with the senior class.

“We have a big group of guys that are leaving us this year that basically I grew up with on this team,” he said. “We won middle school state with these same people. It just meant a lot for all of us to be here.”

Cameron Coleman - 2nd Place (182 pounds)
Coleman was pinned early in the first period against Union County’s Micah Ervin in the 182-pound title and like Fowler, he would have approached the match differently if he could do it again.

“Believe in myself more …” he said. “I lost to him a couple of times during the season and I went out there with no confidence. I feel like if I would have wrestled how I should have wrestled then it should have been a better match.”

Coleman still finished with 30 wins during his senior season, which is something to hang his hat off after a solid Colonel career in football as well.

Jakerion Merritt - 3rd Place (145 pounds)
Coming into the season, Merritt had high hopes of repeating as a state champion while coaches and teammates felt that sentiment as well. Merritt didn’t reach his ultimate goal but when he fell Friday in the quarterfinals, he knew what he had to do.

“I was a little upset,” he said. “I wasn’t upset that I lost, I was more upset that I gave everything and still ending up losing. I was upset but at the same time, I couldn’t be down on myself. I got teammates that look up to me so if I’m down, they’re going to be down. That doesn’t work when you’re a working machine.”

After he lost, Merritt said he had to get third because that’s what the team deserved.

Merritt said his state championship last season started something special that he knows will continue after he graduates.

“I feel like it opened up the gates,” he said. “Now we got three state finalists, we placed nine. We hadn’t done that in a long, long time. I feel like it opened up the gates. It wasn’t really about me. It’s the team.”

Austin Grant-Hall- 4th Place (138 pounds)
Grant-Hall wrestled in seventh-grade but then stepped away from the sport.

“At first, I was like ‘I’m never coming back,’ ” he said. “I was dead set, I’m not coming back.”

He said he had coaches and Merritt start asking him if he was going to come back.

After some coaxing, he was back for his junior season.

“Then the stars just starting aligning,” he said. “Let’s give it a shot. Let’s see what we can do this year.”

Grant-Hall said coming back was the right decision.

“It is absolutely amazing,” he said. “Not only myself, but the people I call my brothers around me help commit to that. We worked our butts off in the room and we finally got it to pay off.”

Now with his senior season in his sights, Grant-Hall said he toyed around with the idea of not wrestling again, but Saturday proved to be too much fun.

“All year, I was talking about ‘I’m not coming back, I’m not coming back,’ ” he said. “But, today shocked me, shocked the coaches so I guess I’m in for another contract.”

TyDarius Kelly - 4th Place (285 pounds)
Heading into Friday, Kelly was the 24th ranked 285-pound wrestler in the state. He said he wasn’t happy about that and after a fourth-place finish Saturday, he’ll surely be ranked higher when next season starts.

He said it was a tough season for him but his trust in his coaches helped him prevail.

“It was kind of hard because I didn’t think I would make it this far myself,” he said. “Coaches, they would tell me ‘you’re stronger than this kid. You’re faster than him. We conditioned you for this. You’re going to go out there and give it your all and beat them.’ The more they tell me that, the more I believe so I go out and give it my all.”

Kelly fell to Matthias Ervin by a single point in the Region One final but he said he didn’t get want he needed.

“It gave me a lot of confidence but I feel like I didn’t get the satisfaction that I wanted,” he said.

The junior is already looking forward to his senior season.

“I need to work my butt at practice,” he said. “I need to keep doing what I’m doing. Listening to the coaches because they’re going to guide me the right way. I lift more weights, I’m there.”

Ethan Wells - 6th Place (126 pounds)
An injury ended Wells’ final match Saturday but he still walked out of Alltech Arena with a sixth-place finish.

“It feels pretty good,” he said. “It wasn’t what I want but I’ll take it.”

Wells, a senior, said he had to fight through the pain on the final day of action because he wanted to leave it all out on the mat.

“It was my last year, my last time so I was just pushing through it,” he said.

Wells said seeing Burnham recognized as coach of the year meant a lot to the team and said he thinks the rest of the state knows what they’re capable of now.

“I think they realized we really stepped up from last year and made a big change,” he said.

AJ Harvey - 6th Place (195 pounds)
When Harvey started his season, he wasn’t sure what he was capable of. But a sixth-place finish will definitely help how he goes into next season.

“It feels good,” he said. “At the start of the season, I really didn’t think I was going to make it this far but I made it.”

Harvey said it’s been a difficult year for him.

“It’s been rough,” he said. “Lots of ups and downs. I wrestled down and now I’m back up just wrestling my matches.”

Despite the setbacks, Harvey said it’s a good feeling to be a part of something that hasn’t happened in a long time.

JT Adams - 7th Place (170 pounds)
Adams lost his first match on Friday but went on a tear.

Adams won his next four matches (3 by pin, 1 by major decision) before losing to the same wrestler he lost on Friday to in St. Xavier’s Everett Marret.

Adams said he only had one goal after losing his opener match to Marret.

“I just had to get back and I didn’t want a repeat of last year,” he said.

The freshman said he got a lot of fuel from his finish a year ago.

Adams also plays football for the Colonels and he said he’s ready to get back in the wrestling room next season.

“Staying in shape and staying down in the room to get some more work,” he said was his mindset after the season.

Edited by Sommers

On 2/15/2020 at 11:41 PM, Sommers said:

Kudos to some good fights especially Peck's and Smith's...

Big Blue kept it close...

Bradley Surprises Cleveland In 4-AAA Wrestling

Baylor Rolls In D-II While Signal Mountain Takes Second In 3-A/AA

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - by John Hunt

The Bradley Bears claimed five individual titles in the Region 4-AAA wrestling tournament at Rhea County High School Saturday, but more importantly, they qualified all 14 individuals for next week’s traditional state tournament and they beat arch-rival Cleveland in the process.

The Bears, who were third in last weekend’s state duals, advanced 10 to the championship finals and won half of them as they finished the day with 234.5 points.

Cleveland, who won its third straight duals title last Saturday and will be looking for a three-peat in the traditional tournament, finished a close second with 224.5 points.  The Blue Raiders also qualified all 14 individuals for next week.

Soddy Daisy was third with 116 points and eight qualifiers while East Hamilton and Walker Valley were fourth and fifth overall with 92.5 and 73 points, respectively.  The Hurricanes will take six next weekend while the Mustangs will have five.

While Bradley was winning a close one over Cleveland in the AAA division, the Baylor Red Raiders were winning the Division II East region tournament with 300.5 points and eight champions.

McCallie was a distant second with 230 points and five champs while MBA was third with 156, Boyd-Buchanan fourth with 85 and Knoxville Webb fifth with 77.

Nolensville was the champion of Region 3-A/AA with 221 points while Signal Mountain was second with 180.  Eagleville, Forrest and Whitwell completed the top five teams with 139.5, 134 and 126 points, respectively.

Bradley got championship performances from Ethan Wilson at 106, Easton Lipsey at 113 and Luke Belcher at 120 to begin the finals while Gavin Hughes (132) and Seth Gregory (138) also won titles while defeating Cleveland wrestlers in the finals.

Taron Patterson (126), Anthony Lynn (152), Tyrone McDonald (182), Gavin Sewell (220) and Austin McClure (285) finished second for the Bears.

Cleveland, like Bradley, had 10 in the finals, but could only produce four champions, including Trae McDaniel at 126, Cael Laxton at 152, Nate Schilling at 160 and Ashton Davis at 220.

Bentley Ellison (106), Arlo Laxton (113), Jackson Bradford (120), Blake Randall (132), Burns Meagher (138) and Zach Brezna (170) all finished second for the Blue Raiders.

Soddy Daisy and East Hamilton both had two champs while Walker Valley had one. 

Winning for the Trojans was Cole Prestwood at 145 and Hayden Maynor at 182 while East Hamilton’s two winners included Cade Meeks at 170 and Jason Brumlow at 195.  Walker Valley’s Jadon Langford was the winner for Walker Valley at 285.

“That was badly needed for our team and really felt good,” said Bradley coach Ben Smith after arriving back on the Bradley campus early Saturday night.

“We feel like we have some guys who can go with those from Cleveland and Wilson Central, but today was a day where our guys took care of business.  We finally got over the hump in some matches and I felt like our momentum just picked up through the finals as we were able to keep our distance from Cleveland.

“We showed that we can compete and we have 14 young men who can score a lot of points next weekend.  I felt like we wrestled well with very little stress.  It wasn’t a bad day for Bradley wrestling,” said the likable Smith, now in his ninth year as the Bradley boss.

Cleveland coach Joey Knox felt like the opening round was the downfall for his team as Cleveland had nine byes out of 14 weight classes.  Meanwhile, Bradley was recording pins and building a 30-point lead.

Turns out, the early deficit was too much for the Blue Raiders to overcome.

“I don’t think we lost a single match in that first round, but we were down by 30 with all the byes and just couldn’t climb back in it,” said Knox later.

“I felt like we lost two matches we should have won, but we have a young team and that’s just growing pains.  I’m just glad it happened this weekend and not next.  We started off behind the eight ball, clawed our way back in and got within a shot of winning, but this just shows we have to be ready to wrestle every time we step on the mat,” Knox added in his usual soft tone.

Top-ranked Baylor had another strong performance in their own gym as they won this tournament by more than 70 points over arch-rival McCallie.

The Red Raiders had eight individual champs while McCallie had five and MBA one.

“Our guys were rocking and rolling today as they scored a lot of bonus points,” related Baylor coach Ben Nelson after the competition had ended for the day.

“We won everywhere we expected to win and I was really proud of Anthony Mannella, who got an upset at 152 that we were all happy about. 

“I thought we took care of business and will be taking 13 next weekend as we look forward to another opportunity to perform at a high level.  I’m not sure how many of these we’ve won in a row, but I’m pretty sure it’s at least six,” Nelson concluded.

Baylor’s champions included Nick Cordey at 106, Jackson Bond at 113, Noah Horst at 132, Garrison Dendy at 138, Mannella at 152, Connor Duffy at 182, David Harper at 195 and Barrett Chambers at 220.

McCallie’s five champs included Jack Braman at 120, Emory Taylor at 126, Alex Whitworth at 160, Gavin Cagle at 170 and James Howard at 285.

The only other champ was MBA’s Robby Barnes at 145.

Nolensville claimed four individual titles and advanced 11 to next week’s tournament while Signal Mountain also had four champs and qualified eight.  Eagleville and Forrest both had two winners while Whitwell and Howard had one champ each.

Signal Mountain got victories from Caleb Uhorchuk at 106, Noah Shriner at 113 and Daniel Uhorchuk at 120 to begin the championship round, but Kevin Muschel was the only other champion for the Eagles.

Meanwhile, the Knights got wins from Riley Lippincott at 126, Jacob Vogelpohl at 138, Gavin Channell at 152 and McKinley Wagner at 195 to maintain an early lead to the end.

Signal’s other qualifiers, in addition to the four champions and runner-up Preston Worley at 160, included Kale Albritton at 132, Clay Gallant at 138 and Brock Shipley at 152, all finishing third.

Howard’s Jermichael Young beat Nolensville’s Bailey Black with a 3-2 overtime decision to claim the 220-pound title while Whitwell’s James Headrick posted a first-period pin to win a region title at 285.

Next week’s tournament will begin on Thursday for the AAA teams while the A-AA and D-II participants will join the fray on Friday. 

Every individual who placed in the top four of their respectively tournament advance to next week's traditional state tournament in Franklin.

REGION 4-AAA TEAM SCORES: 1. Bradley 234.5; 2. Cleveland 224.5; 3. Soddy Daisy 116; 4. East Hamilton 92.5; 5. Walker Valley 73; 6. McMinn Co. 53.5; 7. Ooltewah 43; 8. Rhea Co. 17.

4-AAA CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Ethan Wilson (Bradley) dec. Bentley Ellison (Cleveland), 6-1;

113 – Easton Lipsey (Bradley) dec. Arlo Laxton (Cleveland), 7-4;

120 – Luke Belcher (Bradley) dec. Jackson Bradford (Cleveland), 8-6 in overtime;

126 – Trae McDaniel (Cleveland) pinned Taron Patterson (Bradley), 1:20;

132 – Gavin Hughes (Bradley) won by injury default over Blake Randall (Cleveland);

138 – Seth Gregory (Bradley) dec. Burns Meagher (Cleveland), 5-0;

145 – Cole Prestwood (Soddy Daisy) dec. Kyle Cooley (McMinn Co.), 6-1;

152 – Cael Laxton (Cleveland) pinned Anthony Lynn (Bradley), 1:10;

160 – Nate Schilling (Cleveland) dec. Landon Lewis (Soddy Daisy), 7-3;

170 – Cade Meeks (East Hamilton) dec. Zach Brezna (Cleveland), 7-1;

182 – Hayden Maynor (Soddy Daisy) dec. Tyrone McDonald (Bradley), 6-1;

195 – Jason Brumlow (East Hamilton) dec. Kallum Lowe (Walker Valley), 3-2;

220 – Ashton Davis (Cleveland) dec. Gavin Sewell (Bradley), 7-0;

285 – Jadon Langford (Walker Valley) dec. Austin McClure (Bradley), 5-3.

4-AAA CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Aaron Walker (East Hamilton) major dec. Lincoln Harvey (Soddy Daisy), 10-2;

113 – Hunter Bankes (Soddy Daisy) pinned Caleb Hickman (Rhea Co.), 2:09;

120 – Tristan Hight (Soddy Daisy) pinned Alex McCord (Walker Valley), 2:28;

126 – Maclain Otting (East Hamilton) dec. Robby Thomas (Ooltewah), 6-1;

132 – Dylan Ricker (McMinn Co.) pinned Jacob Allen (Soddy Daisy), :36;

138 – Gage Boggess (McMinn Co.) pinned Roman Evans (Ooltewah), 2:08;

145 – Garrett Stevenson (Cleveland) dec. Ben Stansberry (Bradley), 6-4 in overtime;

152 – Gavin Hamrick (Soddy Daisy) pinned Alexander Wright (Ooltewah), 4:33;

160 – Knox Watson (Bradley) major dec. Allen Lewis (East Hamilton), 15-2;

170 – Caleb Jeffers (Bradley) won by technical fall over Francisco Campos (Rhea Co.), 5:00;

182 – Tetoe Boyd (Cleveland) dec. Heath Tanksley (Walker Valley), 5-3;

195 – Riley Harris (Cleveland) won by forfeit over Cody McDaniel (Bradley);

220 – Dennis Pedigo (Ooltewah) pinned Jacob Anderson (Walker Valley), 1:25;

285 – Javarrius Dunnigan (East Hamilton) dec. Nick Nicodemis (Cleveland), 3-1 in overtime.

D-II EAST TEAM SCORES: 1. Baylor 300.5; 2. McCallie 230; 3. Montgomery Bell Academy 156; 4. Boyd-Buchanan 85; 5. Knoxville Webb 77; 6. Notre Dame 66; 7. Christian Academy of Knoxville 53; 8. Chattanooga Christian 46; 9. Grace Christian of Knoxville 42; 10. Friendship Christian 38; 11. Knoxville Catholic 30; 12. Donelson Christian 6; 13. St. Andrew’s-Sewanee 3; 14. King’s Academy 0.

D-II CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Nick Cordey (Baylor) pinned Tate Williams (Boyd-Buchanan);

113 – Jackson Bond (Baylor) won by technical fall over Nicholas Ridings (McCallie), 5:00;

120 – Jack Braman (McCallie) pinned Kade Hartline (Baylor), 3:28;

126 – Emory Taylor (McCallie) won by technical fall over Will Higgins (MBA), 4:42;

132 – Noah Horst (Baylor) won by technical fall over Frank Perazzini (MBA), 4:03;

138 – Garrison Dendy (Baylor) pinned Adam Garfinkel (MBA), 1:04;

145 – Robby Barnes (MBA) dec. Dominick Coker (Boyd-Buchanan), 9-8;

152 – Anthony Mannella (Baylor) dec. Dan McGuire (MBA), 6-2;

160 – Alex Whitworth (McCallie) dec. Omaury Alvarez (Baylor), 5-3;

170 – Gavin Cagle (McCallie) dec. Ronald Garriques (Baylor), 6-4;

182 – Connor Duffy (Baylor) pinned Chase Looper (McCallie), :46;

195 – David Harper (Baylor) pinned Gabe Fisher (MBA), 1:02;

220 – Barrett Chambers (Baylor) pinned David Dixon (Boyd-Buchanan), 2:52;

285 – James Howard (McCallie) pinned Ryan Jackson (Friendship Christian), 3:48.

D-II CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Ellis Haney (McCallie) dec. A.J. Jolley (Chattanooga Christian), 7-5;

113 – Bob Deitch (Notre Dame) pinned Matthew Tieng (Knox. Webb), 2:35;

120 – Chase Eakes (Friendship Christian) dec. Ben Beaver (Knoxville Grace), 4-1;

126 – Ryan Tisdale (Baylor) dec. Parker Sapp (CAK), 6-2;

132 – Nathan Harris (CAK) major dec. Ian Herring (McCallie), 15-3;

138 – Francisco Palacios (Notre Dame) dec. Hawk Dunn (CAK), 9-4;

145 – Chase Radpour (Baylor) dec. Rand Holtzclaw (McCallie), 6-1;

152 – Frankie Zahrobsky (McCallie) pinned Alexander Coker (Boyd-Buchanan), 2:36;

160 – Julian Waters (Boyd-Buchanan) major dec. Lachlan Brandt (Chattanooga Christian), 9-1;

170 – Kaden White (Knox. Catholic) dec. Jake Fuller (Knox. Webb), 7-2;

182 – Dominic Vance (Knox. Webb) pinned Mason Skeeters (MBA), 3:43;

195 – Leonardo Bonifacio (Knox. Webb) pinned Coen Campbell (McCallie), 1:56;

220 – Brik Boruff (Knox. Webb) pinned Noah Bruhin (Knox. Grace), 4:03;

285 – Jacob Brigman (Notre Dame) pinned Joseph Moore (MBA), :20.

REGION 3-A/AA TEAM SCORES: 1. Nolensville 221; 2. Signal Mountain 180; 3. Eagleville 139.5; 4. Forrest 134; 5. Whitwell 126; 6. East Ridge 88; 7. Red Bank 74; 8. East Nashville 57; 9. Howard 53; 10. Sequatchie Co. 50; 11. Watertown 35; 12. Cascade 26; 13. Marshall 24; 14. Stratford 19; 15. Tennessee School for the Blind 7.

REGION 3-A/AA CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Caleb Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) dec. Cole Dorsett (Nolensville), 7-0;

113 – Noah Shriner (Signal Mountain) pinned Seth McCoy (Forrest), 1:43;

120 – Daniel Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) dec. Brody McLemore (Eagleville), 9-3;

126 – Riley Lippencott (Nolensville) pinned Brice Barton (Whitwell), 4:45;

132 – Gabriel Pennington (Eagleville) major dec. Micah McClendon (Forrest), 9-0;

138 – Jacob Vogelpohl (Nolensville) pinned Erik Johnson (Eagleville), 1:07;

145 – Kevin Muschel (Signal Mountain) pinned Amado Gomez (Whitwell), :35;

152 – Gavin Channell (Nolensville) pinned Jacob Roberts (Whitwell), 3:05;

160 – Wyatt McLemore (Eagleville) dec. Preston Worley (Signal Mountain), 8-7;

170 – Nick McClendon (Forrest) pinned Caden Cline (Red Bank), :15;

182 – Noah Hill (Forrest) pinned Jason Dennis (Eagleville), 2:47;

195 – McKinley Wagner (Nolensville) dec. Jerry Campbell (East Nashville), 11-6;

220 – Jermichael Young (Howard) dec. Bailey Black (Nolensville), 3-2 in overtime;

285 – James Headrick (Whitwell) pinned Kaymon Overton (East Nashville), 1:40.

3-A/AA CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Malikhi Johnson (Red Bank) won by technical fall over Jacob Pennington (Eagleville), 21-5;

113 – Kyle Harper (Red Bank) pinned Collin Thomas (East Ridge), 1:00;

120 –Tate Crowell (Nolensville) pinned Braiden Vanderploeg (Forrest), :30;

126 – Perrin Clark (East Ridge) pinned Andrew Green (Watertown), :32;

132 – Kale Albritton (Signal Mountain) pinned Matthew Schutt (Stratford), :22;

138 – Clay Gallant (Signal Mountain) major dec. Carson Blackwell (Forrest), 13-1;

145 – Sean Allen (Nolensville) major dec. Hunter Pendley (Forrest), 15-4;

152 – Brock Shipley (Signal Mountain) pinned Aaron Foster (Marshall), :34;

160 – Gavin Rich (Nolensville) pinned Alex Moore (Whitwell), :27;

170 – Joshua Bryant (Nolensville) dec. Donovin Darnell (Eagleville), 8-3;

182 – Lloyd Pinheiro (East Ridge) pinned Nathan Montpool (Nolensville), :15;

195 – Mason Keel (Whitwell) pinned Alexander Pirok (East Ridge), 1:38;

220 – Christian Wampler (East Ridge) pinned Seth Lacy (Red Bank), 1:02;

285 – Ontarrious Woodruff (Howard) pinned Isaac Stutts (Watertown), 1:17.

(email John Hunt at [email protected])

Rutherford Co update...

logo-compact.svg

Murfreesboro area to send 43 boys to TSSAA state individual wrestling tournament

CECIL JOYCE | DAILY NEWS JOURNAL
Updated 3 hours ago

Updated 3 hours ago

VIDEO: Region 5-AAA individual wrestling tournament

The Murfreesboro area will have 36 Class AAA boys wrestlers and seven from Eagleville participating in the state individual wrestling tournament next weekend.

The Murfreesboro area will have 36 Class AAA boys wrestlers and seven from Eagleville participating in the state individual wrestling tournament next weekend.Thirteen area wrestlers captured 5-AAA championships and Eagleville's Wyatt McLemore and Gabe Pennington both came away with a 3-A/AA titles during Saturday's individual region tournaments.

The top four wrestlers from each region advanced to the state, which will be held Feb. 20-22 at Williamson Ag and Expo Center in Franklin.

Blackman edged Oakland 238-234 for the region individual team title. Stewarts Creek was fourth and Riverdale fifth.

"You've got to give it up for Oakland," said Blackman coach Ronnie Bray, whose squad trailed the Patriots after Friday night's action. "It came down to the last match, for sure. Our kids battled back and did what they were supposed to do. They did what they had to do to win."

Blackman's Justin Bradford (lower weight division) and Oakland's Dejon Glaster (upper weight division) were named outstanding wrestlers of the tournament.

Regular-season region awards were also given. Blackman's Brooks Sacharczyk was named Wrestler of the Year while teammate Mason Sells was Freshman of the Year. Bray earned Coach of the Year while Rockvale's Chad Lane was Assistant Coach of the Year.

Lane's Rockets will be sending the school's first wrestler to the state as Parker Sparks finished fourth in the 113-pound division.

Eagleville finished third behind Nolensville and Signal Mountain in the Region 3-A/AA tournament. The Eagles had two champions, three runners-up and two others that finished in the top four.

Blackman's Brooks Sacharczyk (top) and Oakland's Ketwain Bowers battle in the 182-pound championship match in the Region 5-AAA individual tournament Saturday. Sarcharczyk won by pin.

Blackman's Brooks Sacharczyk (top) and Oakland's Ketwain Bowers battle in the 182-pound championship match in the Region 5-AAA individual tournament Saturday. Sarcharczyk won by pin.  
TOM BECKWITH / FOR THE DNJ

Region 5-AAA

106 pounds

Championship: Chastain Stokes (Oakland) d. Caleb Mackie (Warren Co.) Fall, 1:54.

Third place: Grant Myers (Blackman) d. Trenton Houston (Cookeville) Fall, 3:16.

113 pounds

Championship: Justin Bradford (Blackman) d. Brandon Levia (Smyrna) Fall, 1:20.

Third place: George Esquivel (Stewarts Creek) d. Parker Sparks (Rockvale) Fall, 4:45.

120 pounds

Championship: Alex Rose (Blackman) d. Tyler South (Stewarts Creek) Fall, 1:00.

Third place: Tyler Vanderheyden (Oakland) d. Noah Harvel (Siegel) 10-4.

126 pounds

Championship: Mason Sells (Blackman) d. Caleb Adkins (Tullahoma) TF 1.5, 5:44 (18-3).

Third place: Aalijah Daniel (Riverdale) d. Jacob Jones (Stewarts Creek) MD 16-6.

132 pounds

Championship: Kenny Harless (Stewarts Creek) d. Franky Medina (Riverdale) 7-5.

Third place: Jaxsen Nieuwsma (Oakland) d. Alan Esparza (Warren Co.) Fall, 4:24.

138 pounds

Championship: Justin Brown (Blackman) d. Joe David Bell (Oakland) MD 11-1.

Third place: Brandon McClure (Riverdale) d. Clinton Gonzalez (Cookeville) Fall, 2:01.

145 pounds

Championship: Micaiah Watkins (Stewarts Creek) d. Ross Griffin (Oakland) MD 8-0.

Third place: Ethan Ayo (Cookeville) d. Gavin Prater (Coffee Co.) 3-2.

152 pounds

Championship: Christopher Grier (Shelbyville) d. Evan Harris (Oakland) Fall, 3:23.

Third place: Kohlten Brown (Riverdale) d. Ethan McWilliams (Cookeville) Fall, 2:33.

160 pounds

Championship: Dejon Glaster (Oakland) d. Elijah Cowan (Tullahoma) TF 1.5, 5:14 (20-3).

Third place: Dakota Cucinella (Cookeville) d. Noah O'Shields (Warren Co.) Fall, 4:50.

170 pounds

Championship: Anthony Gomez (Blackman) d. Kenneth Phillips (Siegel) Fall, 1:45.

Third place: Jay Reed (Cookeville) d. Jacob Knight (Stewarts Creek) Fall, 1:36.

182 pounds

Championship: Brooks Sacharczyk (Blackman) d. Ketwain Bowers (Oakland) Fall, 1:04.

Third place: Issac Gillentine (Warren Co.) d. Eric Motykowski (Cookeville) Fall, 3:44.

195 pounds

Championship: Kameron Bingham (Oakland) d. Jaylan Hughes (Blackman) 6-2.

Third place: Connor Milhorn (Siegel) d. Brian Nelms (Tullahoma) Forfeit.

220 pounds

Championship: Bowdy Boyce (Blackman) d. Noah Todd (Siegel) Fall, 1:38.

Third place: Austin McBee (Shelbyville) d. Jacob Crabill (Oakland) Fall, 4:33.

285 pounds

Championship: Graham Keating (Oakland) d. Cardin Stump (Coffee Co.) Fall, 1:25.

Third place: Samuel Harness (Cookeville) d. Tydrell Mitchell (Tullahoma) 5-1.

Region 3-A/AA

106 pounds

Third place: Malikhi Johnson (Red Bank) def. Jacob Pennington (Eagleville) TF 1.5, 0:36, 21-5.

120 pounds

Championship: Daniel Uhorchuk (Signal Mtn.) d. Brody McLemore (Eagleville) 9-3.

132 pounds

Championship: Gabe Pennington (Eagleville) d. Micah McClendon (Forrest) MD 9-0.

138 pounds

Championship: Jacob Vogelpohl (Nolensville) d. Erik Johnson (Eagleville) Fall, 1:07.

160 pounds

Championship: Wyatt McLemore (Eagleville) d. Preston Worley (Signal Mtn.) 8-7.

170 pounds

Third place: Joshua Bryant (Nolensville) d. Donovin Darnell (Eagleville) 8-3.

182 pounds

Championship: Noah Hill (Forrest) d. Jason Dennis (Eagleville) Fall, 2:47.

Originally Published 6:06 p.m. CST Feb. 15, 2020
Updated 3 hours ago

Hixson Wins Third Straight Region Wrestling Title

Wildcats Qualify All 14 For State After Winning Seven Individual Titles With 249 Points

Hixson's Devotis McCurdy works on a take down against Alcoa's Lance Williams in the 285 weight class championship during the Region 2-A/AA tournament at Hixson Saturday afternoon. Williams eventually won the match with a pin at the 4:20 mark, but Hixson won the region championship. amassing 249 points with seven individual championships.
Hixson's Devotis McCurdy works on a take down against Alcoa's Lance Williams in the 285 weight class championship during the Region 2-A/AA tournament at Hixson Saturday afternoon. Williams eventually won the match with a pin at the 4:20 mark, but Hixson won the region championship. amassing 249 points with seven individual championships.
- photo by Dennis Norwood

The Hixson Wildcats won their third straight Region 2-A/AA wrestling tournament at Hixson Saturday afternoon and head coach Garrick Hall was pleased for the most part as he’s more concerned about what happens at the traditional state tournament next weekend in Franklin than winning another region title.

The Wildcats, who came back strong last Saturday to claim third in the state duals, qualified all 14 of their individuals while scoring 249 points.

Runner-up Alcoa had 10 qualifiers and 169.5 points while Upperman was third with 98.  Central and Polk County rounded out the top five teams with 86 and 75 points, respectively.

“We did okay, but I’m tired and ready to go home,” said Hall after a long day as not only the tournament director but leader of the Wildcats.

“We’ve got to show up next week when it really counts.  We were able to win this tournament for the third straight year, which is one of our goals every season, and I feel like we have a legitimate shot of being in the top three next Saturday.

“For the most part, I’m pleased with how we wrestled today.  I was really proud of Caleb Miller at 138 as he got pinned by that Central kid earlier in the season and he wasn’t even a starter in November, but he really stepped up for us today,” Hall added.

Alcoa coach Brian Gossett was happy with how his Tornadoes performed. 

“We qualified 10 of the 11 we brought and had six region champs, so that’s pretty good, but Hixson showed what kind of depth they have today.  We’re still trying to catch them.  I like how we fought today and I’m looking forward to next weekend,” Gossett smiled.

Hixson led the way with seven individual champs, including 132-pound Jeremiah Shackleford, who was named Outstanding Wrestler for the lower weights after improving to 48-8 for the season with two pins Saturday, including a 44-second win in the finals.

Alcoa’s Ryan Wimbley, who won the 152-pound title with a 10-4 decision, was the Outstanding Wrestler for the upper weights.

Other winners for the Wildcats included Trevor Lewis at 120, Vladimir Hollingshead at 126, Miller at 138, Chris Rogers at 145 and Parrish Pacetti at 220.

Kaleb Mayes (152), Kobie Smith (160) and Devotis McCurdy (285) all finished second for the Wildcats while Chris Lagorio (106), Jonas Vandergriff (170), Jaheem Culberson (182) and Silas Minton (195) all claimed third.

Alcoa’s six champions included Gordon McCall at 106, Ryan Wimbley at 152, Anthony Jones at 160, William Carter at 170, Kambell Brown at 195 and Lance Williams at 285.

The only other champion was Cumberland County’s Grayson Hale, who had a second-period pin at 182.

Perhaps the most impressive individual of the tournament was Alcoa heavyweight Williams.  He’s just a 14-year-old freshman, but he improved to 31-0 with a pin over Hixson’s McCurdy, the third time he’s pinned the Hixson senior, who is now 41-9 for the season.

FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Hixson 249; 2. Alcoa 169.5; 3. Upperman 98; 4. Central 86; 5. Polk Co. 75; 6. Greenback 45; 7. Sale Creek 38; 8. Cumberland Co. 31; 9. Tyner 22; 10. Brainerd 18; 11. Livingston Academy 9; 12. Kingston 0.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Gordon McCall (Alcoa) major dec. Tyler Tolzman (Polk Co.), 17-4;

113 – Conner Leffew (Hixson) won by forfeit over Tyler Barham (Alcoa);

120 – Trevor Lewis (Hixson) pinned Eli Norwood (Sale Creek), :28;

126 – Vladimir Hollingshead (Hixson) pinned Wyatt Coleman (Sale Creek), 4:19;

132 – Jeremiah Shackleford (Hixson) pinned Garrett Shockley (Greenback), :44;

138 – Caleb Miller (Hixson) pinned Jack Neely (Central), 1:57;

145 – Christopher Rogers (Hixson) major dec. Jordan Wright (Central), 12-3;

152 – Ryan Wimbley (Alcoa) dec. Kaleb Mayes (Hixson), 10-4;

160 – Anthony Jones (Alcoa) dec. Kobie Smith (Hixson), 6-4;

170 – William Carter (Alcoa) pinned Caleb West (Upperman), 5:52;

182 – Grayson Hale (Cumberland Co.) pinned Aaron Tipton (Alcoa), 2:29;

195 – Kambell Brown (Alcoa) pinned Zachary Stewart (Upperman), :44;

220 – Parrish Pacetti (Hixson) pinned Donavyn Walker (Central), 2:19;

285 – Lance Williams (Alcoa) pinned Devotis McCurdy (Hixson), 4:20.

CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Chris Lagorio (Hixson) pinned Manuel Cory (Greenback), :45;

113 – No match; only two in weight class;

120 – Ryan Leonard (Upperman) major dec. Noah Pinion (Central), 14-2;

126 – Joshua Emerson (Polk Co.) won by forfeit over Jacob Watkins (Upperman);

132 – Devin Harwell (Alcoa) pinned Jacob Speights (Polk Co.), 2:26;

138 – Patrick Lair (Upperman) pinned Sasha Warner (Polk Co.), 4:55;

145 – Brandon Colon (Alcoa) dec. Jerrel Espy (Polk Co.), 9-7;

152 – Jacob Wright (Central) pinned Demetri Lovick (Tyner), 2:51;

160 – Randall Gray (Central) won by forfeit over Chase Sellers (Greenback);

170 – Jonas Vandergriff (Hixson) pinned Ricardo Cancino (Tyner), 2:12;

182 – Jaheem Culberson (Hixson) pinned Nic Fields (Upperman), 1:35;

195 – Silas Minton (Hixson) pinned Logan Caldwell (Greenback), 2:42;

220 – Xavier Wood (Brainerd) pinned Romeo Candelario (Upperman), 1:12;

285 – Ben Stone (Polk Co.) pinned Jakob Hicks (Cumberland Co.), 1:22.

(Email John Hunt at [email protected])

Kingsport Times-News...

Jeff Birchfield

1 / 5 Dobyns-Bennett's Clint Morrisette is in control of his 170-pound match against James Robinson of Jefferson County during Saturday's Region 1-AAA championships in Church Hill. Morrisette won the division title.

no avatar
SPORTS LIVE

D-B wins region, qualifies all 14 wrestlers for state; Volunteer sends 5 to Franklin

JEFF BIRCHFIELD • TODAY AT 1:47 AM

CHURCH HILL — The dream season continues for the Dobyns-Bennett wrestling team.

The Indians captured six individual titles in Saturday’s Region 1-AAA championships at Volunteer, and all 14 D-B wrestlers qualified for next week’s state meet in Franklin.

Cannon Mullins started the finals by capturing the 106-pound weight class and heavyweight Caleb Burleson ended the regional by earning an 8-7 decision over Morristown West’s Don McAmis.

Stay informed. Sign up for daily email newsletters

The Indians won the team title with 239.5 points. Science Hill was runner-up with 178.

“I’m so proud of everybody and the way everybody responded,” D-B coach Wesley Idlette said. “To take all 14 wrestlers to the state tournament, that’s big for the program. They’ve got one more week to chase that dream. Everybody set a goal at the beginning of the season and now they’re in position to chase that goal.”

Brennan Watkins (126), Jackson Hurst (145), Clint Morrisette (170) and Aidan Rhoton (182) also captured individual crowns. Four others — Gavin Armstrong (113), Greyson Cunningham (120), Eli Whitley (132) and Tre Morrisette (160) — reached the finals. Shane Lemons (138), Patrick Mitchell (152), Eli Smith (195) and Jesse Greer (220) also earned a trip to state.

“Aidan, for him as a freshman at that weight, wrestle a senior and come out victorious, that was big for him,” Idlette said. “Jackson is a great wrestler. He controlled the match (against Science Hill’s Jahkye Aples) the way he wanted to. Clint and Tre feed off each other. They’re competitive with each other and they’re competitive on the mat. I’m proud of both of them.”

TUCKER BOYS SOAR

Volunteer had five wrestlers advance to the state tournament, highlighted by the individual championships for brothers Ben and Alex Tucker. Freshman Ben Tucker beat D-B’s Armstrong in an 8-0 major decision in the 113 finals. Alex Tucker, a senior, pinned Levi Grunder of Science Hill in the 195 final.

“This means everything because we’ve been wrestling since we were small kids and to see the progress pay off,” Alex Tucker said. “This is the only year I will be in high school with my brother. I cannot wait to compete with my brother at state.”

Jacob Gladson (160) and Ethan Rimer (285) each finished third in their respective weight classes for the Falcons, and Evan Glass was fourth at 106.

OTHER CHAMPIONS

Science Hill had three champs: Tyler Seeley (132), Joseph Frye (152) and Jared Harter (160), who scored a 7-5 decision over Tre Morrisette. Two Jefferson County grapplers, Landon Fisher (138) and Ryver Shelton (220), won titles and Perry Roller of Tennessee High won the 120 weight class.

REGION 1-AAA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Saturday

Team results

1. Dobyns-Bennett 239.5, 2. Science Hill 178, 3. Jefferson County 136.5, 4. Morristown East 91.5, 5. Volunteer 91, 6. Morristown West 68, 7. Tennessee High 56, 8. David Crockett 48, 9. Daniel Boone 31, 10. Cocke County 8

Championship round

106—Cannon Mullins (D-B) 10-3 dec. over Jeremiah Skeen (MW)

113—Ben Tucker (Vol) major dec. 8-0 over Gavin Armstrong (D-B)

120—Perry Roller (TH) pin Greyson Cunningham (D-B), 3:54

126—Brennan Watkins (D-B) dec. 6-3 over Javelle Gillespie (SH)

132—Tyler Seeley (SH) pin Eli Whitley (D-B), 1:02

138—Landon Fisher (JC) dec. 10-6 over Braxton Mann (SH)

145—Jackson Hurst (D-B) dec. 3-0 over Jahkye Aples (SH)

152—Joseph Frye (SH) dec. 6-2 over Logan Fisher (JC)

160—Jared Harter (SH) dec. 7-5 over Tre Morrisette (D-B)

170—Clint Morrisette (D-B) pin James Robinson (JC), 3:10

182—Aidan Rhoton (D-B) pin Hunter Bryant (JC), 2:58

195—Alex Tucker (Vol) pin Levi Grunder (SH) , 3:29

220—Ryver Shelton (JC) pin Jacob Spurlock (Boone), 3:36

285—Caleb Burleson (D-B) dec. 8-7 over Don McAmis (MW)

Third-place consolation

106—Ethan Stroud (ME) 19-4 tech. fall over Evan Glass (Vol)

113—Juan Ramos (MW) pin Junior Garcia (ME), 5:26

120—Giovanni Demetrikopolos (SH) pin Parker Sams (DC), 3:43

126—Landon Nelson (TH) dec. 5-1 over Guillermo Rodriguez (JC)

132—Rolando Duarte (ME) pin Keith Ankers (TH), 4:00

138—Shane Lemons (D-B) tech. fall 17-2 over Jonathan Reed (ME)

145—Lane Weatherford (JC) pin David Thompson (ME), 1:27

152—Teagan Waycaster (DC) pin Patrick Mitchell (D-B), 5:15

160—Jacob Gladson (Vol) forfeit over Jesse Bowman (Boone)

170—Liam Medina (SH) major dec. 17-8 over Julio Belmone (ME)

182—Damien Vance (DC) dec. 2-0 over Gerry Sapp (ME)

195—Eli Smith (D-B) pin Dylan Ashley (JC), 1:36

220—Sonny Watson (MW) forfeit over Jesse Greer (D-B)

285—Ethan Rimer (Vol) pin Keimel Redford (SH) , 2:59

No Surprises up in KY...

Union Co. Wrestling Team wins 5th consecutive state title

Union Co. Wrestling Team wins 5th consecutive state title
February 15, 2020 at 4:50 PM CST - Updated February 15 at 6:44 PM

UNION CO., Ky. (WFIE) - The Union County High School Wrestling Team has won its fifth straight state title.

It happened at the state championship competition in Lexington.

Last year, the Braves set a Kentucky record, winning four-straight state titles and this year, they made it five.

Union County continues its wrestling dynasty in dominating fashion. They clinched this year’s title before the semifinals even wrapped up.

It’s the 12th state title in program history, and it’s their sixth in the last seven years.

Union County also set a record for sending nine wrestlers to the final round. The Braves also broke the state record for most points in a state meet with 262 points, which they did in the semifinal round.

It was an incredible run for Union County in 2020.

A pep rally is set to take place at Union County High School on Sunday at 3 p.m.

TV 14 News

https://www.14news.com/2020/02/15/union-co-wrestling-team-wins-th-consecutive-state-title/

More on the Bear Nation Surprise, from Mr John Hunt...

Bradley Surprises Cleveland In 4-AAA Wrestling

Baylor Rolls In D-II While Signal Mountain Takes Second In 3-A/AA

The Bradley Bears claimed five individual titles in the Region 4-AAA wrestling tournament at Rhea County High School Saturday, but more importantly, they qualified all 14 individuals for next week’s traditional state tournament and they beat arch-rival Cleveland in the process.

The Bears, who were third in last weekend’s state duals, advanced 10 to the championship finals and won half of them as they finished the day with 234.5 points.

Cleveland, who won its third straight duals title last Saturday and will be looking for a three-peat in the traditional tournament, finished a close second with 224.5 points.  The Blue Raiders also qualified all 14 individuals for next week.

Soddy Daisy was third with 116 points and eight qualifiers while East Hamilton and Walker Valley were fourth and fifth overall with 92.5 and 73 points, respectively.  The Hurricanes will take six next weekend while the Mustangs will have five.

While Bradley was winning a close one over Cleveland in the AAA division, the Baylor Red Raiders were winning the Division II East region tournament with 300.5 points and eight champions.

McCallie was a distant second with 230 points and five champs while MBA was third with 156, Boyd-Buchanan fourth with 85 and Knoxville Webb fifth with 77.

Nolensville was the champion of Region 3-A/AA with 221 points while Signal Mountain was second with 180.  Eagleville, Forrest and Whitwell completed the top five teams with 139.5, 134 and 126 points, respectively.

Bradley got championship performances from Ethan Wilson at 106, Easton Lipsey at 113 and Luke Belcher at 120 to begin the finals while Gavin Hughes (132) and Seth Gregory (138) also won titles while defeating Cleveland wrestlers in the finals.

Taron Patterson (126), Anthony Lynn (152), Tyrone McDonald (182), Gavin Sewell (220) and Austin McClure (285) finished second for the Bears.

Cleveland, like Bradley, had 10 in the finals, but could only produce four champions, including Trae McDaniel at 126, Cael Laxton at 152, Nate Schilling at 160 and Ashton Davis at 220.

Bentley Ellison (106), Arlo Laxton (113), Jackson Bradford (120), Blake Randall (132), Burns Meagher (138) and Zach Brezna (170) all finished second for the Blue Raiders.

Soddy Daisy and East Hamilton both had two champs while Walker Valley had one. 

Winning for the Trojans was Cole Prestwood at 145 and Hayden Maynor at 182 while East Hamilton’s two winners included Cade Meeks at 170 and Jason Brumlow at 195.  Walker Valley’s Jadon Langford was the winner for Walker Valley at 285.

“That was badly needed for our team and really felt good,” said Bradley coach Ben Smith after arriving back on the Bradley campus early Saturday night.

“We feel like we have some guys who can go with those from Cleveland and Wilson Central, but today was a day where our guys took care of business.  We finally got over the hump in some matches and I felt like our momentum just picked up through the finals as we were able to keep our distance from Cleveland.

“We showed that we can compete and we have 14 young men who can score a lot of points next weekend.  I felt like we wrestled well with very little stress.  It wasn’t a bad day for Bradley wrestling,” said the likable Smith, now in his ninth year as the Bradley boss.

Cleveland coach Joey Knox felt like the opening round was the downfall for his team as Cleveland had nine byes out of 14 weight classes.  Meanwhile, Bradley was recording pins and building a 30-point lead.

Turns out, the early deficit was too much for the Blue Raiders to overcome.

“I don’t think we lost a single match in that first round, but we were down by 30 with all the byes and just couldn’t climb back in it,” said Knox later.

“I felt like we lost two matches we should have won, but we have a young team and that’s just growing pains.  I’m just glad it happened this weekend and not next.  We started off behind the eight ball, clawed our way back in and got within a shot of winning, but this just shows we have to be ready to wrestle every time we step on the mat,” Knox added in his usual soft tone.

Top-ranked Baylor had another strong performance in their own gym as they won this tournament by more than 70 points over arch-rival McCallie.

The Red Raiders had eight individual champs while McCallie had five and MBA one.

“Our guys were rocking and rolling today as they scored a lot of bonus points,” related Baylor coach Ben Nelson after the competition had ended for the day.

“We won everywhere we expected to win and I was really proud of Anthony Mannella, who got an upset at 152 that we were all happy about. 

“I thought we took care of business and will be taking 13 next weekend as we look forward to another opportunity to perform at a high level.  I’m not sure how many of these we’ve won in a row, but I’m pretty sure it’s at least six,” Nelson concluded.

Baylor’s champions included Nick Cordey at 106, Jackson Bond at 113, Noah Horst at 132, Garrison Dendy at 138, Mannella at 152, Connor Duffy at 182, David Harper at 195 and Barrett Chambers at 220.

McCallie’s five champs included Jack Braman at 120, Emory Taylor at 126, Alex Whitworth at 160, Gavin Cagle at 170 and James Howard at 285.

The only other champ was MBA’s Robby Barnes at 145.

Nolensville claimed four individual titles and advanced 11 to next week’s tournament while Signal Mountain also had four champs and qualified eight.  Eagleville and Forrest both had two winners while Whitwell and Howard had one champ each.

Signal Mountain got victories from Caleb Uhorchuk at 106, Noah Shriner at 113 and Daniel Uhorchuk at 120 to begin the championship round, but Kevin Muschel was the only other champion for the Eagles.

Meanwhile, the Knights got wins from Riley Lippincott at 126, Jacob Vogelpohl at 138, Gavin Channell at 152 and McKinley Wagner at 195 to maintain an early lead to the end.

Signal’s other qualifiers, in addition to the four champions and runner-up Preston Worley at 160, included Kale Albritton at 132, Clay Gallant at 138 and Brock Shipley at 152, all finishing third.

Howard’s Jermichael Young beat Nolensville’s Bailey Black with a 3-2 overtime decision to claim the 220-pound title while Whitwell’s James Headrick posted a first-period pin to win a region title at 285.

Next week’s tournament will begin on Thursday for the AAA teams while the A-AA and D-II participants will join the fray on Friday. 

Every individual who placed in the top four of their respectively tournament advance to next week's traditional state tournament in Franklin.

REGION 4-AAA TEAM SCORES: 1. Bradley 234.5; 2. Cleveland 224.5; 3. Soddy Daisy 116; 4. East Hamilton 92.5; 5. Walker Valley 73; 6. McMinn Co. 53.5; 7. Ooltewah 43; 8. Rhea Co. 17.

4-AAA CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Ethan Wilson (Bradley) dec. Bentley Ellison (Cleveland), 6-1;

113 – Easton Lipsey (Bradley) dec. Arlo Laxton (Cleveland), 7-4;

120 – Luke Belcher (Bradley) dec. Jackson Bradford (Cleveland), 8-6 in overtime;

126 – Trae McDaniel (Cleveland) pinned Taron Patterson (Bradley), 1:20;

132 – Gavin Hughes (Bradley) won by injury default over Blake Randall (Cleveland);

138 – Seth Gregory (Bradley) dec. Burns Meagher (Cleveland), 5-0;

145 – Cole Prestwood (Soddy Daisy) dec. Kyle Cooley (McMinn Co.), 6-1;

152 – Cael Laxton (Cleveland) pinned Anthony Lynn (Bradley), 1:10;

160 – Nate Schilling (Cleveland) dec. Landon Lewis (Soddy Daisy), 7-3;

170 – Cade Meeks (East Hamilton) dec. Zach Brezna (Cleveland), 7-1;

182 – Hayden Maynor (Soddy Daisy) dec. Tyrone McDonald (Bradley), 6-1;

195 – Jason Brumlow (East Hamilton) dec. Kallum Lowe (Walker Valley), 3-2;

220 – Ashton Davis (Cleveland) dec. Gavin Sewell (Bradley), 7-0;

285 – Jadon Langford (Walker Valley) dec. Austin McClure (Bradley), 5-3.

4-AAA CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Aaron Walker (East Hamilton) major dec. Lincoln Harvey (Soddy Daisy), 10-2;

113 – Hunter Bankes (Soddy Daisy) pinned Caleb Hickman (Rhea Co.), 2:09;

120 – Tristan Hight (Soddy Daisy) pinned Alex McCord (Walker Valley), 2:28;

126 – Maclain Otting (East Hamilton) dec. Robby Thomas (Ooltewah), 6-1;

132 – Dylan Ricker (McMinn Co.) pinned Jacob Allen (Soddy Daisy), :36;

138 – Gage Boggess (McMinn Co.) pinned Roman Evans (Ooltewah), 2:08;

145 – Garrett Stevenson (Cleveland) dec. Ben Stansberry (Bradley), 6-4 in overtime;

152 – Gavin Hamrick (Soddy Daisy) pinned Alexander Wright (Ooltewah), 4:33;

160 – Knox Watson (Bradley) major dec. Allen Lewis (East Hamilton), 15-2;

170 – Caleb Jeffers (Bradley) won by technical fall over Francisco Campos (Rhea Co.), 5:00;

182 – Tetoe Boyd (Cleveland) dec. Heath Tanksley (Walker Valley), 5-3;

195 – Riley Harris (Cleveland) won by forfeit over Cody McDaniel (Bradley);

220 – Dennis Pedigo (Ooltewah) pinned Jacob Anderson (Walker Valley), 1:25;

285 – Javarrius Dunnigan (East Hamilton) dec. Nick Nicodemis (Cleveland), 3-1 in overtime.

D-II EAST TEAM SCORES: 1. Baylor 300.5; 2. McCallie 230; 3. Montgomery Bell Academy 156; 4. Boyd-Buchanan 85; 5. Knoxville Webb 77; 6. Notre Dame 66; 7. Christian Academy of Knoxville 53; 8. Chattanooga Christian 46; 9. Grace Christian of Knoxville 42; 10. Friendship Christian 38; 11. Knoxville Catholic 30; 12. Donelson Christian 6; 13. St. Andrew’s-Sewanee 3; 14. King’s Academy 0.

D-II CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Nick Cordey (Baylor) pinned Tate Williams (Boyd-Buchanan);

113 – Jackson Bond (Baylor) won by technical fall over Nicholas Ridings (McCallie), 5:00;

120 – Jack Braman (McCallie) pinned Kade Hartline (Baylor), 3:28;

126 – Emory Taylor (McCallie) won by technical fall over Will Higgins (MBA), 4:42;

132 – Noah Horst (Baylor) won by technical fall over Frank Perazzini (MBA), 4:03;

138 – Garrison Dendy (Baylor) pinned Adam Garfinkel (MBA), 1:04;

145 – Robby Barnes (MBA) dec. Dominick Coker (Boyd-Buchanan), 9-8;

152 – Anthony Mannella (Baylor) dec. Dan McGuire (MBA), 6-2;

160 – Alex Whitworth (McCallie) dec. Omaury Alvarez (Baylor), 5-3;

170 – Gavin Cagle (McCallie) dec. Ronald Garriques (Baylor), 6-4;

182 – Connor Duffy (Baylor) pinned Chase Looper (McCallie), :46;

195 – David Harper (Baylor) pinned Gabe Fisher (MBA), 1:02;

220 – Barrett Chambers (Baylor) pinned David Dixon (Boyd-Buchanan), 2:52;

285 – James Howard (McCallie) pinned Ryan Jackson (Friendship Christian), 3:48.

106 – Ellis Haney (McCallie) dec. A.J. Jolley (Chattanooga Christian), 7-5;

113 – Bob Deitch (Notre Dame) pinned Matthew Tieng (Knox. Webb), 2:35;

120 – Chase Eakes (Friendship Christian) dec. Ben Beaver (Knoxville Grace), 4-1;

126 – Ryan Tisdale (Baylor) dec. Parker Sapp (CAK), 6-2;

132 – Nathan Harris (CAK) major dec. Ian Herring (McCallie), 15-3;

138 – Francisco Palacios (Notre Dame) dec. Hawk Dunn (CAK), 9-4;

145 – Chase Radpour (Baylor) dec. Rand Holtzclaw (McCallie), 6-1;

152 – Frankie Zahrobsky (McCallie) pinned Alexander Coker (Boyd-Buchanan), 2:36;

160 – Julian Waters (Boyd-Buchanan) major dec. Lachlan Brandt (Chattanooga Christian), 9-1;

170 – Kaden White (Knox. Catholic) dec. Jake Fuller (Knox. Webb), 7-2;

182 – Dominic Vance (Knox. Webb) pinned Mason Skeeters (MBA), 3:43;

195 – Leonardo Bonifacio (Knox. Webb) pinned Coen Campbell (McCallie), 1:56;

220 – Brik Boruff (Knox. Webb) pinned Noah Bruhin (Knox. Grace), 4:03;

285 – Jacob Brigman (Notre Dame) pinned Joseph Moore (MBA), :20.

REGION 3-A/AA TEAM SCORES: 1. Nolensville 221; 2. Signal Mountain 180; 3. Eagleville 139.5; 4. Forrest 134; 5. Whitwell 126; 6. East Ridge 88; 7. Red Bank 74; 8. East Nashville 57; 9. Howard 53; 10. Sequatchie Co. 50; 11. Watertown 35; 12. Cascade 26; 13. Marshall 24; 14. Stratford 19; 15. Tennessee School for the Blind 7.

REGION 3-A/AA CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Caleb Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) dec. Cole Dorsett (Nolensville), 7-0;

113 – Noah Shriner (Signal Mountain) pinned Seth McCoy (Forrest), 1:43;

120 – Daniel Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) dec. Brody McLemore (Eagleville), 9-3;

126 – Riley Lippencott (Nolensville) pinned Brice Barton (Whitwell), 4:45;

132 – Gabriel Pennington (Eagleville) major dec. Micah McClendon (Forrest), 9-0;

138 – Jacob Vogelpohl (Nolensville) pinned Erik Johnson (Eagleville), 1:07;

145 – Kevin Muschel (Signal Mountain) pinned Amado Gomez (Whitwell), :35;

152 – Gavin Channell (Nolensville) pinned Jacob Roberts (Whitwell), 3:05;

160 – Wyatt McLemore (Eagleville) dec. Preston Worley (Signal Mountain), 8-7;

170 – Nick McClendon (Forrest) pinned Caden Cline (Red Bank), :15;

182 – Noah Hill (Forrest) pinned Jason Dennis (Eagleville), 2:47;

195 – McKinley Wagner (Nolensville) dec. Jerry Campbell (East Nashville), 11-6;

220 – Jermichael Young (Howard) dec. Bailey Black (Nolensville), 3-2 in overtime;

285 – James Headrick (Whitwell) pinned Kaymon Overton (East Nashville), 1:40.

3-A/AA CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Malikhi Johnson (Red Bank) won by technical fall over Jacob Pennington (Eagleville), 21-5;

113 – Kyle Harper (Red Bank) pinned Collin Thomas (East Ridge), 1:00;

120 –Tate Crowell (Nolensville) pinned Braiden Vanderploeg (Forrest), :30;

126 – Perrin Clark (East Ridge) pinned Andrew Green (Watertown), :32;

132 – Kale Albritton (Signal Mountain) pinned Matthew Schutt (Stratford), :22;

138 – Clay Gallant (Signal Mountain) major dec. Carson Blackwell (Forrest), 13-1;

145 – Sean Allen (Nolensville) major dec. Hunter Pendley (Forrest), 15-4;

152 – Brock Shipley (Signal Mountain) pinned Aaron Foster (Marshall), :34;

160 – Gavin Rich (Nolensville) pinned Alex Moore (Whitwell), :27;

170 – Joshua Bryant (Nolensville) dec. Donovin Darnell (Eagleville), 8-3;

182 – Lloyd Pinheiro (East Ridge) pinned Nathan Montpool (Nolensville), :15;

195 – Mason Keel (Whitwell) pinned Alexander Pirok (East Ridge), 1:38;

220 – Christian Wampler (East Ridge) pinned Seth Lacy (Red Bank), 1:02;

285 – Ontarrious Woodruff (Howard) pinned Isaac Stutts (Watertown), 1:17.

(email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail)

No Ga...

Sports: Preps

Chattooga, Sonoraville win GHSA wrestling state traditional titles

February 15th, 2020 | by Patrick MacCoon
1581823854_LUIS-MEDINA-REACTION_gs_t400_ Staff photo by Patrick MacCoon / Chattooga senior wrestler Luis Medina celebrates his 26-second pin of Dade County's Ian Howell in the Class AA 285-pound state final during the GHSA traditional tournament Saturday in Macon, Ga. The Indians swept the classification's team state championships this season.

MACON, Ga. — Chattooga High School wrestlers finished their season in dominant fashion as senior 285-pounder Luis Medina let out an enormous roar after pinning his way to victory in just 26 seconds to repeat as state champion.

For the first time in program history, the Indians swept the GHSA Class AA team titles. After winning the state duals championship last month at the Macon Centreplex, they rolled to the traditional tournament crown Saturday at the same site and set a program record with five individual champions.

One of those was 145-pounder Mason Sterner, a 5-1 winner in the finals. After his hand was raised, the senior celebrated his first individual state title with a special embrace.

"Immediately after I won, all that was going through my mind was my mom," Sterner said. "She was just diagnosed with cancer a few weeks back, and I was doing this all for her. I ran up to the crowd right after, and I had to give her a hug. I love her, and she means so much to me."

With all seven GHSA classifications competing at the sold-out Centreplex, a dozen area wrestlers won individual titles and Class AAA's Sonoraville — after losing to North Hall in the state duals final — secured its third straight traditional championship.

The Phoenix edged North Hall in team points, 194.5-189.5, and had three champions: 126-pound Eli Knight, who finished a 27-0 season, 170-pound Jebb Knight (25-3) and 195-pound Charlie Brown (37-1), who held on for an intense 1-0 victory over Jackson County's Tyler Wester in the finals.

"As tough as this sport is, I will always love it," Sonoraville senior Hector Arbos said. "We came out and put it all on the line. I think people will remember us as one of the best teams ever in school history. We wouldn't have done this without our coaches. They always push us to be the best we can be."

PHOTO GALLERY

2020 GHSA wrestling state traditional tournament

View 8 Photos

Chattooga's Griffin Jarrett, battling a sore knee and sporting a black eye, beat Spencer's Malik Hardy 10-5 in the 113-pound final to win his fourth straight title.

"I set this goal a long time ago, and to win a fourth title is so amazing," said Jarrett, who was 49-3 as a senior. "All I could think about walking out here was our team's theme song, which starts, 'I can feel it coming in the air tonight.'"

"I love this team, and it means a lot to be the most dominant class in school history. I was happy for all of our guys. Mason's win really got me emotional, too. It was awesome to see him and everyone enjoy what we were all able to do together this season."

The Indians finished with 190.5 points — a whopping 73 more than runner-up Oglethorpe County.

Chattooga's other individual champs were 120-pounder Wes Conley (32-2), who went from leading by a point to winning 10-5, and 220-pounder Alex Mears (47-2), who battled through a tiebreaker to triumph 8-3. The Indians' five champions have a combined dozen individual state titles in their prep careers.

Medina, who lost just once in 41 matches this season — to Class AAAAAAA champion Dylan Fairchild from West Forsyth — pinned his way to all three of his victories in Macon. The only other local champions to also win every one of their matches at state by pin were Dalton 106-pounder Cole Hunt, who won all four of his AAAAAA matches in the first period, and Dade County 132-pounder Cayden Cooper in AA.

Cooper finished his title run with a pin in 1:09, coincidentally the same amount of time it took for Dalton's Hunter Noland to win by fall at 138 pounds. Noland, a junior, was the 126-pound champion in 2019. Cooper's teammate Dakota Johnson (160) also placed first to help the Wolverines finish third with 113 points.

Trion, despite having no individual champions, just missed sweeping the Class A team awards. The Bulldogs beat Commerce for the duals championship last month, ending that program's run of six straight titles in the event, but Trion was edged by the Tigers for the traditional title, 159-157.5.

Chattooga's Jakoby Cottrell (170) and Ty Veatch (195) finished second, and all of the Indians who contributed points helped put a stamp on the dominant showing.

"This is what they have worked for since October," coach Brian Beasley said. "Even those who fell short, all the points scored were big to us. All of our guys are happy for each other. They are such a tight-knit bunch, and it really was a fun season and everything we could have dreamed of."

Contact Patrick MacCoon at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @PMacCoon.

5th in a roll and 12th for UC up the road in Lexington...

Pep rally held for Union Co. wrestling team after 5th consecutive state title

Pep rally held for Union Co. wrestling after 5th consecutive state title
By Katie Tercek | February 16, 2020 at 11:02 PM CST - Updated February 16 at 11:14 PM

UNION CO., Ky. (WFIE) - The Union County High School wrestling team is home from the state championship that took place in Lexington, Kentucky over the weekend.

On Sunday, the team came home to an outpour of support from the community, and we were there for the pep rally following their state title

This is the team’s fifth-straight state championship.

“It’s unbelievable that we won," said senior Johnny Fuqua. “The work we’ve done in the practice room has paid off.”

“For a month before the state tournament, I’d be talking to coaches throughout the state, ‘Oh you’re going to break the score record. I’d say 'Shut up!’ I don’t want to hear that, man. It would freak me out,” said Robert Ervin, Union County wrestling coach.

Sure enough, Coach Ervin and his wrestlers broke the record, scoring 299 points.

Community members like Geoffrey Diebler, the Morganfield Police Chief, feel these wins add comradery to the county of just under 15,000 people.

“These kids are literally the epitome of each and every one of the people who live here,” Diebler said. “Strong and hardworking folks that just get the job done whenever it’s time to perform."

For the wrestlers, they say one of their secrets to success is their fanbase.

“The community is awesome,” said senior Jake Insako. “It’s just crazy how much support we have and the way they back us up."

In addition to their fifth state title in a row, the Union County Braves athletic director says they set a record for the most individuals in the finals with a total of nine.

This is the team’s 12th state championship in program history.

From The Open Mat....

2020 Kentucky High School State Recap

Posted on 02/18/2020
Little_Stephen

photo courtesy of Scott Utterback; Courier Journal

While there were a few scattered states that held their high school state championship events in prior weeks, last weekend was the unofficial start to the championship season. A handful of schools, mostly in the south, held their most prestigious tournaments of the season; one of them was Kentucky.

Quick name all of the states with a one-class individual state tournament...California..of course, New Jersey...no doubt, Indiana...sure. One you may have forgotten is Kentucky. The Bluegrass State is a welcome change after we examined the seven-class Georgia state tournament earlier today. Kentucky is a state that still needs some work to even get up to the level of a Georgia or Florida, but there is still plenty of talent. In looking at Kentucky, the first thing you notice is the incredible tournament that perennial power Union County put together. We’ll get more into Union County’s record-setting performance and all of the interesting happenings at the 2020 Kentucky State championships below.

State Champions

106: Spencer Moore (Walton-Verona)

113: Trayce Eckman (Union County)

120: Cole Thomas (Ryle)

126: Devon Herron (North Hardin)

132: Thomas Deck (Madison Central)

138: Jake Insko (Union County)

145: Ty Lehman (Trinity)

152: Brayden Gianonne (Lafayette)

160: Dalton Russelburg (Union County)

170: Stephen Little (Union County)

182: Micah Ervin (Union County)

195: Daulton Meyer (Walton-Verona)

220: Niko Bussell (Christian County)

285: Matthias Ervin (Union County)

--------------

Open Mat....

"One of the unfortunate parts about the Georgia state tournament is that there’s just too many classes."
WRESTLING

2020 Georgia High School State Recap

Posted on 02/18/2020
Kane_Gavin

photo courtesy of mjdonline.com

While there were a few scattered states that held their high school state championship events in prior weeks, last weekend was the unofficial start to championship season. A handful of schools mostly in the south held their most prestigious tournaments of the season and none was more notable than Georgia. 

Overall the past year, we have talked a lot about Georgia. The current crop of sophomores in the state is incredible and rivals most other states, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and California included. This isn’t just a good class, though. Georgia has been growing steadily over the past decade and has developed into a state for high-quality wrestling. The state continues to produce talent and look no further than the college ranks for evidence. Last year at the DI national championships, 12 Georgia natives qualified for the competition. That number is up from nine in 2018 and eight in 2017. It should hold steady in Minneapolis, as well. 

One of the unfortunate parts about the Georgia state tournament is that there’s just too many classes. Seven, in fact. This is coming from a Virginia native that has seen our own state tournament expand from three classes to six, which doesn’t include private schools, either. Despite the overabundance of state qualifiers/placers/champions, Georgia is still able to get exposure for its wrestlers by excelling at Fargo and national-level events. That has led to seven Georgia wrestlers holding national rankings in TOM’s latest version (which doesn’t include GA natives wrestling out of state). 

We’ve poured through the brackets and found some interesting items from the 2020 Georgia State Championships, along with all of the state champions and wrestlers that accomplished significant milestones. 

------------------

Ala... Over The Mountain Journal

Thompson (166.5 points) claimed its third consecutive Class 7A title with Vestavia Hills second (153.5), followed by Huntsville (83), Hoover, Mountain Brook (53) and Spain Park (46).

Over the Mountain Journal

The suburban newspaper for Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover and north shelby county

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

No Worries: Hoover’s Smith Relaxes, Then Dominates to Earn State Wrestling Title

February 17, 2020

Screen-Shot-2020-02-17-at-3.43.53-PM-102 Nick Smith, top, defeated Huntsville’s Zander Fields by an 8-0 major decision to earn his first state championship and finish the season with a 37-3 record. Journal photos by Jordan Wald.

By Rubin E. Grant

Hoover junior Nick Smith had an odd feeling before his Class 7A, 120-pound state championship wrestling match.

“I’m usually stressed out before a match, but this time I kind of felt like I knew the outcome before it happened,” Smith said. “I was joking around and having fun.”

Bucs wrestling coach Jacob Gaydosh also noticed Smith’s seemingly carefree demeanor.

“He was very relaxed,” Gaydosh said. “I don’t remember him being that way going into a match. Just before the match, I said, ‘I love you, Nick,’ and he just answered back, ‘I love you too, coach.’”

Smith said there was a good reason for his pre-match disposition last Saturday at the Alabama High School Athletic Association’s 65th State Wrestling Championships at the Von Braun Center’s Propst Arena in Huntsville.

“I was really feeling myself,” he said. “Sometimes you have that feeling and sometimes you don’t. (Saturday), I had it.”

Smith’s confidence showed on the mat as he defeated Huntsville’s Zander Fields by an 8-0 major decision to earn his first state championship and finish the season with a 37-3 record.

“A lot of preparation and hard work went into the match,” Smith said. “The coaches did a good job of getting me ready. They told me I just needed to wrestle.”

The 5-foot-7-inch Smith entered the state tournament ranked No. 1 at 120 pounds in Class 7A, so he was favored to win. And he acted the part. He pinned Lindrix Cooper of Jeff Davis in 1:11 in his first match, then pinned Thompson’s Cory Jones in 4:27 in the semifinals.

“I knew I was the best in state, so I had more of a mindset to just actually wrestle and prove it,” Smith said. 

Smith finished runner-up at 113 pounds with a 46-7 record as a sophomore in 2019, falling to Thompson senior Dylan Lesueur by a 14-2 major decision in the championship match.

The defeat motivated Smith this season.

“Being runner-up obviously hurt a lot,” Smith said. “I felt like I was gaining on (Lesueur) each time we wrestled, then that happened.

“I knew to win a state championship you have to do everything right, so I kept that mindset all year, during the offseason at Ironclad (Wrestling Club in Trussville) and in season with Hoover.”

Screen-Shot-2020-02-17-at-3.44.28-PM.png Spain Park’s Jason Bast was named the 7A most valuable wrestler.

It took some time for it to sink in that he was actually a state champion.

“It was kind of surreal,” Smith said. “I don’t even think I heard them say over the loudspeaker, ‘Nick Smith, state champion.’ I didn’t know how to react. I kind of thought I knew what it would feel like, but it was so much better. I was totally happy.”

Gaydosh was delighted to see Smith’s hand raised in victory as a state champion.

“I am thrilled for him,” Gaydosh said. “It’s been his dream to win a state championship and for him to fall short last year and get second, and to come back this year and improve as a wrestler and in confidence, it’s awesome. And not just for him, but his parents as well, who have sacrificed so much to get him to this point.”

Gaydosh also praised Hoover assistant coach Ryan Romano for his role in Smith’s becoming a state champion.

“Ryan spent a lot of time in the film room with Nick, as his workout partner and being someone he could talk to,” Gaydosh said. “Ryan was a big contributor to what Nick accomplished.”

Wins for Other OTM Schools

Smith was Hoover’s only individual state champion as the Bucs finished fourth in the team standings with 58 points. Thompson (166.5 points) claimed its third consecutive Class 7A title with Vestavia Hills second (153.5), followed by Huntsville (83), Hoover, Mountain Brook (53) and Spain Park (46).

Screen-Shot-2020-02-17-at-3.44.56-PM.png Mountain Brook’s Gray Ortis (46-6) won the 138-pound title with a 5-1 decision against Hewitt-Trussville’s Logan Reaves.

Spain Park’s Jaxon “Pablo” Bast (44-3) successfully defended his Class 7A 285-pound championship, pinning Tuscaloosa County’s Thor Zogg at 5:00. Bast was named the 7A most valuable wrester.

Vestavia Hills had three individual champions. Sam Willoughby (37-5) defeated Grissom’s Warren Hoyt by a 12-9 decision to win the 170-pound title; John Edwards (38-4) defeated Thompson’s Ashunti Perry by a 3-1 decision for the 160 crown; and Jack Lamey (34-12) defeated Huntsville’s Zeke Smotherman by a 3-1 decision to claim the 145 title in what was named the best match in 7A.

The Rebels also had three wrestlers who were runners-up: Chandler Merrill at 152, Bryant Segars at 126 and Zach Flurry at 106.

Mountain Brook’s Gray Ortis (46-6) won the 138-pound title with a 5-1 decision against Hewitt-Trussville’s Logan Reaves.

In other championship matches, Hoover’s J.T. Foster was 7A runner-up at 182 pounds; Spain Park’s John Robert Thompson was 7A runner-up at 113; and Homewood’s John-Mark Crocker was 6A runner-up at 182.

The Daily Herald

Bramlett helps Raiders continue to build

HIDE CAPTION
Spring Hill 145-pound senior Andrew Bramlett recorded a pair of victories over Page’s Dylan Miller at this weekend’s Region 7-AAA wrestling tournament, the second a 9-4 decision in the consolation finals, to claim third place and a berth in the TSSAA Class AAA State Tournament beginning Thursday at the Williamson County Ag Expo. (Charles Pulliam/Williamson Herald)

By MAURICE "Mo" PATTON [email protected]
Posted Feb 18, 2020 at 1:35

To say it was worth the wait may be a bit of a stretch, but Andrew Bramlett is getting to close his short Spring Hill wrestling career in the best way, with a trip to this week’s TSSAA Class AAA state tournament.

Bramlett reached the Class A/AA tourney as a sophomore at Grace Christian Academy. He and his family then moved from Leipers Fork to Spring Hill, resulting in his enrollment at Spring Hill. Subsequently, he had to sit out the 2018-19 season under TSSAA transfer guidelines.

Limited to junior varsity/exhibition matches last year, Bramlett’s made up for lost time this campaign — going 24-6 and placing third at the Region 7-AAA Tournament last weekend at Antioch to claim a berth in the three-day double-elimination state event that begins Thursday at the Williamson County Ag Expo in Franklin.

“It was a little harder than I anticipated ... I’m very happy with finishing third,” said Bramlett, who had to get past Page’s Dylan Miller for two of his four victories on the weekend, the second securing his spot in the 32-man state bracket.

When he steps on the mat, he’ll be the second Raider to do so at the state tournament level in the program’s three-year history. Tyler Moore, a 160-pound senior, went 2-2 in 2018.

“I’m so happy to come in and help Spring Hill grow their program,” he said. “I’ve never been a part of (an established) program. Grace Christian was a five-year program when I started, so I’m familiar with younger programs.”

Founding coach Beau Moss said Bramlett’s impact has been felt throughout the local wrestling community.

“These AAU kids and their families, they see our social media,” Moss said. “Everybody from middle school to kindergarten and their parents, they know what’s going on. They see this and they want their kids to be in that position. We post and share all this and get lots of compliments, not just from the high school family but from the middle school family and the AAU program, which is what we want."

Guiding Bramlett to this point, through a highly regarded group of programs that comprise Region 7-AAA, has been a challenge.

“He had a concussion against Centennial that put him down for a little bit,” Moss said. “We were really worried, because of the timing of that, in January. He was out for eight or nine days and that hurt, but he came back ready to work.

“Not only are we in the biggest region, but the competition at the top, especially with those Williamson County teams — they’re so stacked. For a new program like us, it’s taken a while to get adjusted to that high level of competition, but you have to if you’re going to succeed.”

Aiding in Bramlett’s preparation has been Spring Hill assistant Alex Rich, a four-time Oregon high school state champion who wrestled collegiately at Oregon State.

“We feel like with Coach Rich at our disposal, there’s probably not many other better guys to work out with,” Moss said.

Bramlett’s opening match Thursday will be against McMinn County sophomore Kyle Cooley, the Region 4-AAA runner-up.

“This week, I’ve got to lock in and prepare. All the people I’m going to face will be tough. There won’t be any 1:30 pins like my first match; it’s not going to be all easy like that.”

Edited by Sommers

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2020/2/21/404484/PHOTOS-Friday-Morning-At-The-TSSAA.aspx

• gallery.121299.jpg
  • gallery.121300.jpg
  • gallery.121301.jpg
  • gallery.121302.jpg
  • gallery.121303.jpg
  • gallery.121304.jpg
  • gallery.121305.jpg
  • gallery.121306.jpg
  • gallery.121307.jpg
  • gallery.121308.jpg
  • gallery.121309.jpg
  • gallery.121310.jpg

logo-compact.svg

TSSAA individual wrestling state championships, Day 1

24 PHOTOS
6:09 p.m. CST Feb. 20, 2020

Brentwood’s Skylar Coffey slams Tullahoma’s Tydrell Mitchel to the mat during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Brentwood’s Skylar Coffey slams Tullahoma’s Tydrell Mitchel to the mat during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
GEORGE WALKER IV / THE TENNESSEAN

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Independence’s Tanner Willett (top) wrestles Roman Evans of Ooltewah during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Independence’s Tanner Willett (top) wrestles Roman Evans of Ooltewah during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Independence’s Tanner Willett wrestles Roman Evans of Ooltewah during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Independence’s Tanner Willett wrestles Roman Evans of Ooltewah during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Independence’s Tanner Willett defeats Roman Evans of Ooltewah during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Independence’s Tanner Willett defeats Roman Evans of Ooltewah during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Summit’s Miles Grady flips Oakland’s Evan Harris to the mat during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Summit’s Miles Grady flips Oakland’s Evan Harris to the mat during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Oakland’s Evan Harris tries to keep from being pinned as he wrestles Summit’s Miles Grady during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Oakland’s Evan Harris tries to keep from being pinned as he wrestles Summit’s Miles Grady during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Oakland’s Evan Harris takes Summit’s Miles Grady to the mat during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Oakland’s Evan Harris takes Summit’s Miles Grady to the mat during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Collierville’s Logan Sprague tries to keep from being pinned by Rossview’s Aaron Pardo during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Collierville’s Logan Sprague tries to keep from being pinned by Rossview’s Aaron Pardo during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Rossview’s Zachary Duessler tries to get away from Page’s Ezra Chrisman during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Rossview’s Zachary Duessler tries to get away from Page’s Ezra Chrisman during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Blackman’s Brooks Sacharczyk pins Brentwood’s Alikhjan Makhamadaliev during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Blackman’s Brooks Sacharczyk pins Brentwood’s Alikhjan Makhamadaliev during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Blackman’s Brooks Sacharczyk defeats Brentwood’s Alikhjan Makhamadaliev with a pin during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Blackman’s Brooks Sacharczyk defeats Brentwood’s Alikhjan Makhamadaliev with a pin during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Independence’s Gabriel Hill is slammed to the mat by Jefferson Co.’s Hunter Bryant during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Independence’s Gabriel Hill is slammed to the mat by Jefferson Co.’s Hunter Bryant during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Rossview’a Brett Hill wrestles Blackman’s Jaylan Hughes during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Rossview’a Brett Hill wrestles Blackman’s Jaylan Hughes during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Rossview’a Brett Hill grimaces as he wrestles Blackman’s Jaylan Hughes during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Rossview’a Brett Hill grimaces as he wrestles Blackman’s Jaylan Hughes during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Hillwood’s Sikura Ekunsumi takes a breather in his match against Walker Valley’s Heath Tanksley during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Hillwood’s Sikura Ekunsumi takes a breather in his match against Walker Valley’s Heath Tanksley during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Hillwood’s Sikura Ekunsumi grimaces as he wrestles Walker Valley’s Heath Tanksley during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Hillwood’s Sikura Ekunsumi grimaces as he wrestles Walker Valley’s Heath Tanksley during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Wrestlers participate in the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Wrestlers participate in the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Oakland’s Kameron Bingham wrestles Centennial’s Samari Suddeath during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS 

Twitter 

Facebook

Oakland’s Kameron Bingham wrestles Centennial’s Samari Suddeath during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.
Oakland’s Kameron Bingham celebrates his win over Centennial’s Samari Suddeath during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Email 

SMS
 Twitte

FacebooOakland’s Kameron Bingham celebrates his win over Centennial’s Samari Suddeath during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020 in Franklin, Tenn.

Blackman's brother-sister duo vying for state wrestling titles

-------------

Williamson Co. Herald...

State Wrestling: Here are the WillCo wrestlers to watch weight-by-weight

• By Charles Pulliam • Multimedia Reporter
  •  
    • Feb 19, 2020 Updated 10 hr
        •  12 min to read

State Wrestling Duals – Fairview, Nolensville
Photo by Charles Pulliam @cspulliam

With the 2020 TSSAA State Wrestling Championships upon us, it's time for my second annual weight-by-weight break down!

The state tournament will include 75 Williamson County wrestlers across the three classifications and in the girls tournament. This comprehensive summary includes the 73 male wrestlers competing on the state stage and also highlights local favorites in Class AAA, Class A-AA and Division II.

I also try my hand and picking state champions across each division. Be sure to follow coverage through the tournament online!

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Freshman Russell Ford of Independence has produced a 48-7 record this season for the Eagles. The youngster captured the Region 7-AAA title with a 5-2 decision over sophomore Owen Gobel of Franklin. Ford begins his first state tournament Thursday against Houston’s Connor Baltz. Two wins would line up Ford with state favorite Ethan Wilson, who took fourth last year.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Franklin’s Gobel went 1-2 in his state debut last year as a freshman. He placed fifth at the Johnny Drennan Invitational in January and claimed the title at the Franklin Rebel Invitational as well, where he beat another qualifier in Page’s O’Neal Sebastian. A pair of freshman are looking to make some noise in Class A-AA in Fairview’s Josh Helm and Nolensville’s Cole Dorsett. Both finished runner-up at regionals.

State title picks: AAA – Ethan Wilson, Cleveland; A-AA – Caleb Uhorchuk, Signal Mountain; DII – Nick Cordey, Baylor.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Brentwood Academy’s Tre McTorry is just an eighth grader, but considered a contender in Division II. Eagles coach Scott Wells says the youngster is experienced despite being just in the 8th grade and could challenge Baylor sophomore Jackson Bond if the two meet in the final. McTorry comes from a wrestling family, which includes his dad, who went on to wrestle at Nebraska. The youngster debuts Friday against junior Matthew Tieng of Knoxville Webb.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: A trio of competitors in Class AAA finished Nos. 2-4 at the Region 7-AAA tournament Saturday, led by Summit’s runner-up Jackson Masters (29-7). Page’s Thomas Brown (28-7) took third at the regional, while Brentwood’s Patton Bailey battled into the true fourth place match to qualify with back-to-back pins.

State title picks: AAA – Thomas Borders, Wilson Central; A-AA – Gregory Gomez, MLK; DII – Tre McTorry, BA. 

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: There’s two here in Centennial senior Dylan Ables and Independence sophomore Timothy Ford. These two have battled into overtime in multiple matches this season with the latest meeting swaying in favor of the veteran Ables, who captured his first Region 7-AAA championship Saturday over Ford. The two are competing in a loaded AAA bracket with seven returning medalists, but both are eyeing the podium Saturday. “I’m really, really hungry to place,” said Ables, who qualified for state at 113 last year. The senior opens with Walker Valley senior Alex McCord Thursday, while Ford battles Science Hill senior Giovanni Demetrikopolos.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Joining Ables and Ford in AAA is Summit sophomore Austin Grooters, who took third at the regional. In Class A-AA, Fairview senior Zach Derrick will represent, along with Nolensville freshman Tate Crowell. Derrick has a potential semifinal meeting against two-time state champion Daniel Uhorchuk of Signal Mountain. In Division II, Brentwood Academy freshman Jack Ward, a regional runner-up, will also represent.

State title picks: AAA – Trey Bates, Beech; A-AA Daniel Uhorchuk, Signal Mountain; DII – Jack Braman, McCallie.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Nolensville junior Riley Lippincott was my wrestler to watch at 106 last year and went on to take third. Up a few weights this year, Lippincott has helped lead the Knights again. He can run into Fairview sophomore Blake Mitchell in the second round and seems poised for a championship berth. He didn’t give up a point in streak spanning a couple weekends, which included a tournament championship at the Franklin Invitational. The Region 3 champ wrestles Upperman freshman Jacob Watkins Friday.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Centennial junior Presley Dittmer leads a trio of qualifiers in Class AAA. The former Indy grappler claimed his first Region 7-AAA title Saturday with a major decision over Jacob Gifford (33-5) of Page. The two have had a couple battles and split this season. Summit junior Austin Noll added a third-place showing at the regional. Gifford faces a tough battle early with a potential matchup against Rossview’s Samuel Shires in the second round. Shires took third at 113 last season. Dittmer could run into favorite Trae McDaniel of Cleveland in the quarterfinals. McDaniel was champion at 106 last year and the runner-up there in 2018.

State title picks: AAA – Trae McDaniel, Cleveland; A-AA – Riley Lippincott, Nolensville; DII – Emory Taylor, McCallie.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Centennial senior Leo Gearheart produced his first Region 7-AAA title Saturday and is looking to keep that momentum going into the state tournament. Gearheart settled for fifth in the regional last year, missing state but has produced a solid senior season. He opens Thursday against Soddy-Daisy senior Jacob Allen and could face two-time medalist Franky Medina of Riverdale in the second round.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Franklin junior Gabriel Green captured third at the regional Saturday, while Brentwood senior Kizer Hensley captured a state berth by winning the true fourth place match in the adjusted tournament format at the regional. If both could reach the quarterfinals, the two would run into the Nos. 1- and 2-ranked wrestlers in the weight class. Also competing at 132 is Brentwood Academy sophomore Riley Clark, who faces returning three-time state champion Noah Horst of Baylor in the first round Friday.

State title picks: AAA – Ethan Moore, Rossview; A-AA – George Gillman, Gibbs; DII – Noah Horst, Baylor.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Riley Bennett of Fairview has finished runner-up at the state tournament in back-to-back seasons. The junior returns to the state stage with just three losses this season. Bennett fell to Union County’s Jake Insko in the quarterfinals at the Johnny Drennan Invitational at Father Ryan and again in the the third place match. The Kentucky standout, who lost to eventual champion Christian Isbell of Clarksville in the championship, posted a 9-4 decision in the first meeting with Bennett and earned a third-round pin in the second go-around. Bennett could battle Pigeon Forge’s Garrett Foreman in the final. The two met in the semis at 126 last year with Bennett scoring a pin in the final seconds to advance to the title match.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Nolensville senior Jacob Vogelpohl will also represent in A-AA. He placed sixth at 113 as a sophomore and could potentially run into Foreman in the semis. In Class AAA, Tanner Willett of Independence (47-5) and Will Parcel of Page (28-15) will represent. Willett enters as the fifth-ranked wrestler in AAA.

State title picks: AAA – Christian Isbell, Clarksville; A-AA Riley Bennett, Fairview; DII – Garrison Dendy, Baylor.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Junior Alex Ables placed sixth at 132 last season for Centennial and returns to the state stage with just one loss. That setback came against fellow state title contender Thomas Williams of Rossview, a 5-3 overtime decision in January. “I’m not satisfied with just placing this year,” Ables said. “I want to be a state champ.” The junior could get his rematch with Williams if both reach the semifinals, but another returning medalist in Lebanon’s Eli Clemmons could be waiting in the quarterfinals as well. Ables opens Thursday against Houston freshman Henry Tate.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Joining Ables on the AAA stage will be Brentwood’s Cooper Finch (35-6), who fell by a 4-1 decision to Ables in the region championship Saturday, as well as Page’s Dylan Miller (34-11), who took fourth at the regional. Finch, a senior, could see Wilson Central returning medalist Steven Fisak in the quarterfinals. Fisak took fourth at 126 last year, but fell by decision to Finch earlier this year. In A-AA, Fairview freshman Malachi Bennett will make his state debut. The younger brother of two-time runner-up Riley Bennett, has produced a 49-10 record this year. Nolensville senior Sean Allen is also in the field, while Brentwood Academy freshman Quinn Rosenbaugh is the representative in Division II.

State title picks: AAA – Alex Ables, Centennial; A-AA – Kodiak Cannedy, Greeneville; DII – Evan Anthony, Christian Brothers.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Nolensville senior Gavin Channell (34-10) will battle in a tough division that features five returning medalists. Channell took fifth at 145 last year and is coming off a Region 3 championship. Also moving up a weight is Pigeon Forge sophomore Colby Dalon, who won 145 last year. Channell opens Friday against Tyner Academy freshman Demetri Lovick and could face the winner of Gibbs junior John Pittman and Alcoa senior Ryan Wimbley in the semifinals. Both are two-time state medalists with Wimbley taking fourth at 145 a year ago. Dalon sits on the opposite side of the bracket.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Ken Curtis of Fairview joins Channell in A-AA. The freshman helped the Yellow Jackets take second in the state duals earlier this month and likely will see a stiff test in the second round against Whitwell senior Jacob Roberts, who took sixth at 170 last year. Centennial junior Ethan Duck (46-8) leads a trio of qualifiers in AAA. Duck, who has battled a shoulder injury, took second in regional, while Summit senior Miles Grady and Page junior Seth Wright join Duck on the big stage. In DII, senior Manny Scott of Brentwood Academy traded in his football cleats for a bit and also qualified.

State title picks: AAA – Mason Smith, Beech; A-AA – Colby Dalon, Pigeon Forge; DII – Garrett Bowers, Christian Brothers.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Brentwood Academy junior Logan Spell has placed in all three of his state tournaments and returns as favorite in Division II. Two years ago, his older brother Airin, won the heavyweight championship. “He’s a fun kid to watch and is never out of a match,” BA coach Scott Wells said of Logan. Spell opens Friday against Chattanooga Christian senior Lachlan Brandt, who was sixth in the division last year. Spell took third at 152 last year, fourth at 138 as a freshman and fifth at 132 as an eighth grader. On the opposite side of the bracket sits three-time state champion James Whitworth of McCallie.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Battle Ground Academy junior Jack Revere will join Spell in the DII field. Revere is coming off a runner-up region performance and took fourth at 160 last year. In A-AA, Fairview’s Marco Pukl (23-7) and Nolensville’s Gavin Rich will represent, while seniors Cooper Grills of Franklin and Garner Jones of Brentwood take to the mats in AAA. Grills won a battle with Jones in the third place match at the regional Saturday.

State title picks: AAA – Jared Harter, Science Hill; A-AA – Preston Worley, Signal Mountain; DII – James Whitworth, McCallie.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Centennial senior Jacob Knight (50-3) takes the state stage eager to make some noise. In the previous three years of wrestling, injuries and sickness plagued the 170-pounder, but he’ll open coming off a Region 7-AAA title Thursday against Rhea County sophomore Francisco Campos. “He’s worked so hard to get to this point and he’s finally healthy, so watch out,” Centennial coach Philip Pelkey said. If Knight could reach the quarterfinals, he’ll likely battle Clarksville senior Gabriel Smith, who took fourth in the division last year.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Knight stopped friendly rival Jakob Oxford (39-9) of Independence in the region final. Oxford will likely run into returning two-time medalist Josh Pietarila of Hardin Valley in the second round. Also in the AAA field is Page senior Ezra Chrisman (37-10), who took third in the regional. In A-AA, Fairview veteran Luke Maxwell, coach James Derrick’s nephew, and Nolensville freshman Joshua Bryant will compete, while BGA sophomore Miller Barnett faces three-time McCallie medalist Gavin Cagle in the first round at DII.

State title picks: AAA – Josh Pietrarila, Hardin Valley; A-AA – Caden Cline, Red Bank; DII – Gavin Cagle, McCallie.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Page junior Mitchell Lambert came away as the region champ Saturday by rallying from a 3-0 deficit in the final seconds with a take down and near-fall to win his first region championship. Lambert (42-6) narrowly missed the state stage last year. “I’m just hoping to go out there and do my best and show that I can compete with the best,” the junior said. Lambert opens with Cookeville senior Erik Motykowski in the first round Thursday. He sits on the same side of the bracket as Blackman senior Brooks Sacharcyk, who took second in the division last year.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Independence junior Gabriel Hall clinched third in the regional. He opens against Jefferson County senior Hunter Bryant. Brentwood freshman Alikhan Makhamadaliev also qualified AAA. In A-AA, Fairview senior Cody DeLano faces a field with three returning medalists, including Pigeon Forge junior Joseph Skidmore, who was runner-up at 152 last year. The two didn’t face off in the state championship dual earlier this month as DeLano moved up to 195 for the battle, but could meet in the semis. Nolensville sophomore Nathan Montpool is also in the A-AA field. Juniors Russell Holbrook of Brentwood Academy and Maxwell Sale of BGA qualified in DII. Holbrook took sixth at 170 last year and opens with two-time medalist Riley Looper of McCallie, while Sale takes on favorite Connor Duffy of Baylor, a three-time medalist and champion at 160 in 2017.

State title picks: AAA – Brooke Sacharcyk, Blackman; A-AA – Joseph Skidmore, Pigeon Forge; DII – Connor Duffy, Baylor.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Johnny Mac Feldhacker of Brentwood won a second region title this year jumping up more than 30 pounds from 160 last year. He placed fifth at state in the lower weight in 2019 and returns as a top contender. He spends most practices battling All-American Skylar Coffey. “He makes me better everyday,” Feldhacker said. “I’m super excited to be here again. This is what I’ve been working for all year.” The senior is joined by Jason Brumlow of East Hamilton as the only returning medalists in the division. Brumlow, who sits on the other end of the bracket, placed sixth at 195 in 2019. Feldhacker (38-1) opens Thursday against Andrew Gilbert of West.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Centennial coach Philip Pelkey said his senior Samari Suddeath (43-5) proved he’s a podium contender as well after pushing Feldhacker in the region championship. Suddeath fell by a 4-1 decision and opens with Ethan Adams of Knoxville Halls Thursday. A pair of returning local medalists who split in the regular season are among the contenders in A-AA. Fairview sophomore Jacob Clevenger (37-12), who was fifth at 182 as a freshman, and Nolensville senior McKinley Wagner (51-7), who was fifth at 195 last year, take to the mats Friday. The pair could run into one another in the state semifinals. However, defending champion Jonathan Morton of Elizabethton is on the other side of the bracket. BGA junior Iman Lohrasbi could face Father Ryan favorite Parker Petersen in the semifinals in DII.

State title picks: AAA – Johnny Mac Feldhacker, Brentwood; A-AA – Jonathan Morton, Elizabethton; DII – Parker Petersen, Father Ryan.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: Nolensville’s Bailey Black is just a freshman, but was “tossed to the wolves this season,” as coach Josh Peck said. Black has quickly gained experience and helped lead the Knights to fourth in the A-AA state duals. In practice, he battles returning medalist McKinley Wagner constantly. He fell in the region 3 championship in overtime against Howard School’s Jermichael Young. Black debuts Friday against Cheatham County senior Jay Hires. He could face Parrish Pacetti of Hixson in the semis. Pacetti placed fifth in the division last year and is a favorite to win the title.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Ravenwood senior Bryan Rice is one of three AAA qualifiers. Rice, a football standout, is the lone Raptors representative and is coming off a region runner-up showing. He could face returning medalist and Blackman senior Bowdy Boyce in the second round. Page senior Max VanLandingham, and Franklin senior Chase Reimer are also in the field. VanLandingham (28-5), who signed to play football at Northern State in South Dakota this week, took third in the regional, falling to Rice in the semifinals. Reimer (23-15) is one of three qualifiers from the region to win back-to-back matches and take a true fourth place match. In DII, BA sophomore Jackson Wells, coach Scott Wells’ son, takes on Baylor’s Barrett Chambers in the first round. Chambers took fifth in 2019. Defending champion Al Wooten of Christian Brothers is on the other side of the bracket.

State title picks: AAA – Ashton Davis, Cleveland; A-AA – Parrish Pacetti, Hixson; DII – Al Wooten, Christian Brothers.

WillCo Wrestler to Watch: This season has turned into the Skylar Coffey show. When the powerful senior takes to the mats, people stop to watch. Coffey is the only returning state champion from the county and bumped up to the heavyweight division from 220 this season to bulk up for his track and field scholarship at the University of Tennessee in the fall. Coffey hasn’t lost to Tennessee opponent since his sophomore season and has won 48 of 50 matches by pin. He begins state Thursday against Tullahoma junior Tydrell Mitchell. The 285-pound field includes three returning medalists from the division led by Walker Valley junior Jadon Langford, who was runner-up in 2019.

Other WillCo Qualifiers: Summit sophomore Ryan Smith and Centennial senior Alexander Steele will join Coffey in the AAA ranks. Smith reached state as a freshman last year, while Steele was convinced to compete in the regional after skipping the tournament last year. Smith took third with a 7-1 decision against Steele. Smith is in the bottom half of the bracket where all three returning medalists besides Coffey sit. Collierville senior Jared Dawson took third last year, while Knoxville Halls junior Tyler Linderman was fifth. Those two will likely meet in the second round. In A-AA, Fairview senior Spencer Quinonez made a return to the mats late this season and has gone unbeaten in eight matches with a region title to boot. The three returning medalists in the field all suffered losses against Quinonez’s former teammate Jackson Clevenger. Clevenger, who graduated last year, captured back-to-back state championships in 2018 and 2019.

State title picks: AAA – Skylar Coffey, Brentwood; A-AA Devotis McCurdy, Hixson; DII – Ryan Jackson, Friendship Christian.

Free-Press...

Cleveland jumps out to early lead at state wrestling tournament

February 20th, 2020 | by Patrick MacCoon

To little surprise, the TSSAA Class AAA state traditional tournament opened Thursday night in Franklin with wrestlers from Cleveland and Bradley Central leading the way.

Cleveland's Blue Raiders enter the Ag Expo Center with hopes of earning a third straight sweep of the season's team state championships, having secured this year's duals crown already. Coach Joey Knox's group jumped out to 88 team points, while Bradley Central was second with 74 points, one ahead of Wilson Central.

Cleveland has eight wrestlers still in the hunt for individual state titles, while Bradley's Bears have seven.

East Hamilton's Cade Meeks opened his 170-pound championship quest with a 11-5 decision and a 13-4 major decision, while teammate Jason Brumlow (195) improved to 37-1 this season with an 8-1 decision and a first-round pin.

Walker Valley's Jadon Langford (285) is trying to return to the finals after finishing as runner-up last season. Langford began that bid with two decisions in his favor, 5-0 and 9-4.

State Wrestling Preview: Fairview, Nolensville each bringing 11 to championships

Class A-AA state tournament kicks off Friday

• By Charles Pulliam • Multimedia Reporter
  •  
    • Feb 19, 2020 Updated 10 hrs ago
    •  
      •  
        •  3 min to read

1 of 5
State Wrestling Duals – Fairview, Nolensville

• Photo by Charles Pulliam @cspulliam

Wrestling – Brentwood, Fairview at Nolensville

Riley Bennett of Fairview vs. Dean Klueppelberg of Brentwood 

Jacob Vogelpohl 

Josh Peck 

Fairview wrestling  coach James Derrick wants his program to be recognized as one of the best in the state.

Riley Bennett has reached the state final in back-to-back years for the Fairview wrestling team. The junior has placed second in both championship matches at 126 and 132 pounds in 2018 and 2019.

Bennett returns to the state stage Friday for the 2020 TSSAA Class A-AA State Wrestling Championships and he’s aiming to get over that championship hump come Saturday at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center in Franklin.

“A state championship is the goal,” he said recently. “It always has been.”

Bennett, a favorite in the 138-pound division this year, will be joined by 21 other Williamson County qualifiers in the A-AA field. Both Fairview and Nolensville advanced 11 wrestlers apiece.

“It’s probably a banner year for us,” Yellow Jackets coach James Derrick said of qualifying 11. “I’m thrilled to see Williamson County represented like this for the weekend.”

Across the classifications, more than 70 local grapplers earned state berths.

Nolensville coach Josh Peck is optimistic about the weekend especially for some of his younger wrestlers.

“This is probably the best group of freshmen I’ve had in my 21 years of coaching,” he said. “They are very good and, well, they all got thrown to the wolves. We have wrestled eight of the top 10 teams in the state and we didn’t back down from anybody.”

Fairview is coming off a school-best runner-up finish in the state duals. Nolensville took fourth this season after placing second in 2018. The Yellow Jackets beat the Knights in the state dual semifinals earlier this month.

Joining Bennett as top contenders for Fairview are sophomores Jacob Clevenger (195) and Blake Mitchell (120), along with freshmen Malachi Bennett (145) – Riley’s younger brother – and Ken Curtis (152).

“Riley knows he has a target on his back, but that doesn’t bother him because he’s still going to wrestle the way Riley does,” Derrick said. “(Malachi) is another great wrestler … you don’t roll around with a brother who is a tow-time state runner-up and not pick up anything, that’s for sure.”

Clevenger, the younger brother of two-time heavyweight state champion Jackson Clevenger, placed fifth at 182 as freshman. Derrick said similarly for the younger Clevenger, whose brother graduated in 2019, adding that Curtis "wrestles like a 120-pounder" and could make some noise.

Four seniors – Spencer Quinonez (285), Cody DeLano (182), Luke Maxwell (170) and Zach Derrick (120) – will also try to reach the medal rounds for the Yellow Jackets. Quinonez faces a tough field that includes three of the elder Clevenger’s former opponents, but after missing most of the season due to an elbow injury, he has come on strong with eight straight wins to go with a region title.

advertisement

Derrick also said Maxwell and sophomore 160-pounder Marco Pukl, along with freshman Josh Helm (106) could create some problems for opponents.

The Knights are anchored by four veterans in seniors McKinley Wagner (195), Gavin Channel (152) and Jacob Vogelpohl (138) as well as junior Riley Lippincott (126). Lippincott is a title contender after placing third last year at 106.

Both Wagner and Vogelpohl could run into Fairview’s Clevenger and Bennett. Wagner and Clevenger split in the regular season with a potential semifinal matchup looming.

Wagner placed fifth at 195 last year.

Channell, who won a region title Saturday for the Knights, faces a division with five returning medalists, including Colby Dalon of Pigeon Forge, the 145-pound champ from last year. He also wrestled to a fifth place showing in 2019.

“We have pretty high expectations for those four,” Peck said. “They have all set their goals pretty darn high and those seniors, well, they were here four years ago in our first year when we were pretty bad.

“They put a whole lot of work to turn this team into what it is today. It’s been a long haul and now they have one more shot.”

Peck highlighted 106-pound freshman Cole Dorsett and 220-pounder Bailey Black as potential future leaders for his team.

“I’m really hoping for some good things from them this weekend,” he said. "They have done well all season for us … we always say that at state, it’s not always the better wrestler, but who’s having the better day. We’re hoping we have some guys with the better days come Saturday.”

Other qualifiers for the Knights include freshman Tate Crowell (120), junior Sean Allen (145), junior Gavin Rich (160), freshman Joshua Bryant (170) and sophomore Nathan Montpool (182).

The A-AA tournament kicks off Friday. The state tournament at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center features nearly 200 teams with nearly 870 wrestlers across all divisions. Class AAA wrestling begins Thursday.

Edited by Sommers

Tennessean update...

FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Meet the finalists competing in the TSSAA individual state wrestling championships

TOM KREAGER | THE TENNESSEAN
9:11 p.m. CST Feb. 21, 2020

The TSSAA individual wrestling state championships are set to conclude at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center in Franklin with the championship rounds.

Here is who will be competing in the championship round:

TSSAA WRESTLING: How to watch the individual wrestling finals

TSSAA WRESTLING: 20 wrestlers to watch at the state championships

Class AAA

106: Ethan Wilson, Bradley Central, Sr. vs. Bentley Ellison, Cleveland, Fr.

113: Thomas Borders, Wilson Central, Sr. vs. Justin Bradford, Blackman, So.

120: Jackson Bradford, Cleveland, Jr. vs. Trey Bates, Beech, Jr.

126: Trae McDaniel, Cleveland, Jr. vs. Brennan Watkins, Dobyns-Bennett, Jr.

132: Tyler Seeley, Science Hill Sr. vs. Ethan Moore, Rossview, Sr.

138: Christian Isbell, Clarksville, Sr. vs. Alan Fort, Wilson Central, Jr.

145: Jackson Hurst, Dobyns-Bennett, Jr. vs. Thomas Williams, Rossview, Sr.

152: Levi Stone, Wilson Central, Sr. vs. Mason Smith, Beech, Jr.

160: Dejon Glaster, Oakland, Sr. vs. Tre Morrisette, Dobyns-Bennett, Jr.

170: Josh Pietarila, Hardin Valley, Sr. vs. Gabriel Smith, Clarksville, Sr.

182: Brooks Sacharczyk, Blackman, Sr. vs. Hayden Maynor, Soddy Daisy, Sr.

195: Johnny Mac Feldhacker, Brentwood, Sr. vs. Jason Brumlow, East Hamilton, Jr.

220: Ashton Davis, Cleveland, So. Vs. Brandon Elkins, Knoxville Halls, Sr.

285: Skylar Coffey, Brentwood, Sr. vs. Jadon Langford, Walker Valley, Jr.

Blackman’s Brooks Sacharczyk defeats Brentwood’s Alikhjan Makhamadaliev with a pin during the TSSAA individual wrestling state championships at Williamson Co. Ag Center Thursday, Feb. 20, … Show more 

Class A/AA

106: Caleb Uhorchuk, Signal Mountain, Fr. vs. Cole Dorsett, Nolensville, Sr.

113: LeAndre Dabney, Greeneville, So. vs. Gregory Gomez, M.L. King, Fr.

120: Daniel Uhorchuk, Signal Mountain, Jr. vs. Trevor Lewis, Hixson, Jr.

126: Riley Lippincott, Nolensville, Jr. vs. Hunter Mason, Greeneville, Fr.

132: Josh Parton, Pigeon Forge So. vs. Dalen Kimble, Sycamore, So.

138: Riley Bennett, Fairview, Jr. vs. Garrett Foreman, Pigeon Forge, So.

145: Kodiak Cannedy, Greeneville, So. vs. Kevin Muschel, Signal Mountain, Jr.

152: Colby Dalon, Pigeon Forge, So. vs. Ryan Wimbley, Alcoa, Sr.

160: Wyatt McLemore, Eagleville vs. Cooper Edwards, Harpeth, So.

170: Nick McClendon, Forrest, Sr. vs. Matthew Trotter, Creek Wood, Sr.

182: Noah Hill, Forrest, Jr. vs. Joseph Skidmore, Pigeon Forge, Jr.

195: Jonathan Morton, Elizabethton vs. Caleb Wolfe, Pigeon Forge, Fr.

220: Parrish Pacetti, Hixson, Jr. vs. Elliott Grinder, Hume-Fogg, Sr.

285: Lance Williams, Alcoa, Fr. vs. Garrison Albino, Gibbs, Sr.

Division II

106: Willis Bronson, Christian Brothers, Fr. vs. Nick Cordey, Baylor, So.

113: Jackson Bond, Baylor vs. Tre McTorry, Brentwood Academy, 8th

120: Dayne Dalrymple, Christian Brothers, Jr. vs. Jack Braman, McCallie, Jr.

126: Emory Taylor, McCallie, Jr. vs. Thomas Wesnofske, Father Ryan, Jr.

132: Aidan Bowers, Christian Brothers, So. vs. Noah Horst, Baylor, Sr.

138: Garrison Denby, Baylor, So. vs. Sean Pitts, Father Ryan, So.

145: Evan Anthony, Christian Brothers, Jr. vs. Benjamin Marchetti, Father Ryan, So.

152: Lawrence Madson, Father Ryan, Sr. vs. Garrett Bowers, Christian Brothers, Sr.

160: Omaury Alvarez, Baylor, Fr. vs. James Whitworth, McCallie, Jr.

170: Gavin Cagle, McCallie, Jr. vs. JaCorey Miller, Father Ryan, Sr.

182: Riley Looper, McCallie, Sr. vs. Connor Duffy, Baylor, Sr.

195: David Harper, Baylor, So. vs. Parker Petersen, Father Ryan, Jr.

220: Al Wooten Christian Brothers, Sr. vs. Barre Chambers, Baylor, Sr.

285: James Howard, McCallie, So. vs. Ryan Jackson, Friendship Christian, Sr.

Girls

103: Avery Kibelbek, David Crockett, So. vs. Elizabeth Raper, Cookeville, So.

112: Verena Pate, St. Andrew’s-Sewanee, Fr.  vs. Kerra Strevel, Heritage, Jr.

119: Tyesha Thomas, Elizabethton, Jr. vs. Annalynn Rakett, Clarksville Academy So.

125: Robin Yunis, Rossview, Sr. vs. Taylor Howell, Clarksville, Sr.

132: Rontaysia Payne, Dickson Co., Jr. vs. Emma Walker, Rossview, Sr.

140: Saqara Buchanan, Rossview, Sr. vs. Genesis Gilmore, Montgomery Central, Fr.

150: Elizabeth Champion, Tullahoma, Jr. vs. Vivian Hurn, Montgomery Central, Sr.

160: Brielle Bissonette, Rossview, Jr. vs. Maggie Graham, Bartlett, Fr.

170: Rose Gailan, Overton, Sr. vs. Shelby Zacharias, Creek Wood, Jr.

190: Ariyanna Anderson, Creek Wood, So. vs. Jamya Brewer, Rossview, Jr.

215: Valerie Smith, McGavock, So. vs. Jayla Washington, Cordova, Sr.

9:11 p.m. CST Feb. 21, 2020

Mr Hunt...

Wilson Central & Fairview 2nd!!

Baylor, Cleveland Still Leading State Wrestling

Signal Mountain Third In A/AA; McCallie Third In D-II

Friday, February 21, 2020 - by John Hunt

FRANKLIN, Tenn. – Some things just don’t change. 

The second and most important day of the TSSAA traditional state wrestling tournament is in the books and it appears that all three defending champions will repeat without a problem.

The Cleveland Blue Raiders, who have won the last three state duals titles and the past two traditional titles, appear to be well on their way for another three-peat as they finished Friday’s action with 205 pounds

Wilson Central is a distant second with 165 while Bradley is third with 134.  Blackman and Dobyns Bennett complete the top five AAA teams with 125 and 116.5 points, respectively.

The top-ranked Baylor Red Raiders have all but clinched their second D-II title after finishing Friday with 182.5 points.  Christian Brothers, which gave Baylor a run for a while during the championship semis, is a distant second with 144.5 while McCallie is currently third with 138.5.

Father Ryan and Montgomery Bell Academy are fourth in fifth with 131 and 47 points, respectively.

Pigeon Forge has the A-AA title all locked up for the second straight year and sixth of the past seven as they piled up 170.5 points to lead runner-up Fairview by 57 points.

Signal Mountain is a close third with 106.5 while Greeneville and Hixson are fourth and fifth with 106 and 100.5 points, respectively.

Cleveland had six in the championship semis and emerged with four finalists to go along with six others who are in the medals.  Coach Joey Knox just wanted his kids to wrestle up to their potential and it appears they did just that.

“For us to have 10 placers isn’t bad,” he explained by phone after leaving shortly after his team’s day had been complete.

“I feel like we did really well today and us going four for four in the blood round was huge,” he said in reference to the consolation round that determined if they medaled or not.

“I haven’t sat down and done the math yet, but it looks pretty good in my mind.  We just have to come back ready to battle again tomorrow,” Knox nodded.

Baylor had 11 in the championship semis with eight who earned spots in the championship round.  The other five will claim a medal too.

Coach Ben Nelson always expects his kids to give their best effort and they do most of the time, but he was somewhat reserved when asked about his team’s performance on Friday.

“We had some kids who wrestled really well and a few others who left a little to be desired. I just hope they will all be firing 100 percent tomorrow,” Nelson expressed later.

“Nobody is going to feel sorry for us, but we could have been better in spots.  I don’t think it’s locked up yet, but we definitely have the advantage.  We’ll come out and wrestle hard and see what happens,” Nelson added.

While Pigeon Forge has surged ahead in the A-AA race, it’s been a back-and-forth battle between Fairview, Signal Mountain, Greeneville and Hixson, who are separated by a scant seven points.

Signal Mountain coach Joe Jellison felt like his Eagles did what they were supposed to do, but he also knows that this is a state tournament and there are always a few surprises.

“We have four in the finals and we’re doing okay, but we had some tough draws,” he said while waiting for the final consolation match to start.

“It’s just a matter of who wants it more.  Our kids we expected to do well have done well, but I don’t expect us to hold that lead for second.  But we’ve done pretty good for the first day,” he concluded.

Cleveland’s four finalists include Bentley Ellison at 106, Jackson Bradford at 120, Trae McDaniel at 126 and Ashton Davis at 220.  Bradley’s only finalist is Ethan Wilson at 106.

Other AAA finalists from the Chattanooga area include Soddy Daisy's Hayden Maynor at 182, East Hamilton’s Jason Brumlow at 195 and Walker Valley’s Jadon Langford at 285, who was the runner-up at this same weight class a year ago.

Baylor’s eight finalists include Nick Cordey at 106, Jackson Bond at 113, Noah Horst at 132, Garrison Dendy at 138, Omaury Alvarez at 160, Connor Duffy at 182, David Harper at 195 and Barrett Chambers at 220.

McCallie’s finalists include Jack Braman at 120, Emory Taylor at 126, Alex Whitworth at 160, Gavin Cagle at 170, Chase Looper at 182 and James Howard at 285.

Signal Mountain’s four finalists include Caleb Uhorchuk at 106, Daniel Uhorchuk at 120, Kevin Muschel at 145 and Preston Worley at 160.

Hixson has two in the finals, including Trevor Lewis at 120 and Parrish Pacetti at 220.

The consolation semifinals will begin Saturday’s action at 10 a.m. (CST) and will be followed immediately by the consolation finals for third and fifth places.

The Celebration of Finalists will begin about 4:20 with the finals set for 4:30.

Edited by Sommers

Seven-locals-land-in-TSSAA-state-wrestli
TSSAA-logo-jpeg.jpg

1 / 1

JCP.jpg
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING

Seven locals land in TSSAA state wrestling finals

JOHNSON CITY PRESS • UPDATED TODAY AT 12:23 AM

FRANKLIN—Seven Tri-Cities area athletes will step into the championship fire at Saturday’s TSSAA state wrestling tournament.

Three Dobyns-Bennett grapplers — Brennan Watkins, Jackson Hurst, Tre Morrisette — earned finals berths on Friday at the Williamson County Ag & Expo Center. Ditto for Elizabethton’s Jonathan Morton and Tyesha Thomas, Science Hill’s Tyler Seeley and Avery Kibelbek of David Crockett.

Morton is the defending 195-pound champion in Class A-AA while Kilelbeck aims to repeat in the ladies’ 103 division.

Watkins (126), Seeley (132), Hurst (145) and Morrisette (160) successfully navigated the quarterfinal and semifinals rounds on the Class AAA’s second day of activity.

The closest match any of the fourth wrestlers encountered was Watkins’ sudden victory-1 (5-3) over Rossview’s Samuel Shires in the semifinals.

In Saturday’s championship showdowns, Watkins meets up with Cleveland’s Trae McDaniel, Seeley goes against Rossview’s Ethan Moore, Hurst also gets a Rossview representative in Thomas Williams and Morrisette draws Dejon Glaster of Oakland.

Class A-AA and girls competition didn’t begin until Friday and it was Morton reeling off three straight pins, downing Logan Caldwell of Greenback in the round of 16 — then conquering Jerry Campbell (East Nashville Magnet) and Kambell Brown (Alcoa).

Standing in the way of Morton’s second consecutive title is Pigeon Forge grappler Caleb Wolfe.

Kibelbeck got the job done by beating pinning Taylor Sullivan (Independence) and Destiny Shelton (Tullahoma), working more than five minutes to best both competitors. She’ll go for another gold today against Cookeville’s Elizabeth Raper.

Having come close to taking it all in the past, Thomas (119) will try to break through in a match with Clarksville Academy grappler Annalynn Rakett. Thomas scored a pair of pins on Friday, knocking off Science Hill’s Emma Wallen in the semifinals.

Locals who will join the aforementioned winners on the medals stand in Class AAA are Science Hill’s Braxton Mann (138), Joseph Frye (152) and Jared Harter (160). As for Class A-AA, Sullivan South’s Alex Overbay secured a medal by pinning Pigeon Forge’s Khumovn Sattorov (3:52) in the third round of consolations.

Lady medalists will include David Crockett’s Addie Stadler (125) and Science Hill’s Wallen and Olivia Gasteiger (150).

Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill are currently fifth and sixth, respectively, in the Class AAA team standings.

________

Chattanooga https://www.timesfreepress.com/ has 28 wrestlers

Chattanooga area has 28 wrestlers in state finals

February 21st, 2020 | by Patrick MacCoon in state finals
February 21st, 2020 | by Patrick MacCoon
1582347052_120718d00_PrepWrestling_02_gs Staff file photo / Baylor wrestling coach Ben Nelson will try to lead his program to its 16th state traditional title Saturday in Franklin, Tenn.

No one has to remind Baylor wrestling coach Ben Nelson what the final day of the TSSAA state traditional tournament will be like, but he made sure his Red Raiders understood what will be at stake Saturday in Franklin.

"I told our guys, 'Your whole wrestling world has come down to one 24-hour period between tonight and tomorrow night. It is important to leave with no regrets," Nelson said Friday in a phone interview with the Times Free Press from the Williamson County Ag Expo Center. "This individual tournament gets emotional when wrestlers reach their goals. When they fall short it hurts. This sport has a way to make you into a tough person in life."

Baylor holds a comfortable cushion in the Division II team standings as it looks to break a tie with Father Ryan for the most traditional titles in state history. Each program has 15. There are eight Red Raiders among the 28 area wrestlers overall who advanced to the finals, with the title matches for all classifications scheduled for 5:30 p.m. EST.

Baylor'smost individual champions in a single season is six.

Also in D-II, McCallie has six finalists. Class AAA powerhouse Cleveland and Class A/AA's Signal Mountain each has four.

In the Class A/AA 120-pound final, undefeated Signal Mountain junior Daniel Uhorchuk (17-0), after missing the first half of the season with a tear in his shoulder, will face Hixson's Trevor Lewis (47-6) in a matchup of reigning state champions.

Three other title matches will include an area wrestler: Cleveland's Bentley Ellison versus Bradley Central's Ethan Wilson at 106 AAA, Baylor's Omaury Alvarez versus McCallie's Alex Whitworth at 160 and McCallie's Chase Looper versus Baylor's Connor Duffy at 182.

Whitworth, a varsity wrestler since his eighth-grade season, is a junior going for his fourth state championship. T.J. Duncan (McCallie) and Zach Watson (Baylor) are the only local wrestlers to win five state titles in their prep careers.

Baylor senior Noah Horst (132) is trying to become a four-time individual state champion and, counting events outside of the TSSAA, has won his weight class in the state every year since age 4.

The Red Raiders lead the D-II team points race with 182.5. Christian Brothers (144.5), Father Ryan (138.5) and McCallie (131) round out the top four.

Cleveland, leading Class AAA with 205 points, has its sixth team state championship in the three years nearly sealed. Wilson Central (165) is second and Bradley Central (134) is third.

Pigeon Forge leads A/AA with 156.5 points, ahead of Signal Mountain (102.5), Greeneville (101) and Hixson (100.5).

Three other local AAA teams have one wrestler competing for a title: Soddy Daisy's Hayden Maynor (33-3 overall at 182), East Hamilton's Jasom Brumlow (37-1 at 195) and Walker Valley's Jadon Langford (34-2 at 285). Brumlow and Langford each won his semifinal and fourth match of the weekend with a 4-3 decision.

?adv=imws764&ct=0:5mca0q9&fmt=3&td3=digi?adv=imws764&ct=0:foo2anz&fmt=3&td1=none ?adv=imws764&ct=0:nk94zv3&fmt=3&td1=subs

Edited by Sommers

Mr. Hunt...

Baylor, Cleveland Repeat As State Wrestling Champs

Pigeon Forge Repeats In A-AA And Has Won Six Of Last Seven Titles

Saturday, February 22, 2020 - by John Hunt

FRANKLIN, Tenn. – Joey Knox has been the head wrestling coach for the Cleveland Blue Raiders and he recorded his second three-peat in state competition here at the Williamson County Agricultural Exposition Center Saturday night.

He’s still batting a thousand with six state titles in six tries.

Baylor and Pigeon Forge were also repeat winners in D-II and A-AA, respectively.

Outstanding Wrestler awards went to Brentwood's Skylar Coffey in AAA, Garrett Foreman of Pigeon Forge in A-AA and McCallie's Alex Whitworth in D-II.

Best Match honors in AAA went to the 113 pound final where Wilson Central's Thomas Borders pinned Blackman's Justin Bradford in 5:48.  The 113-pound final in A-AA also earned that distinction where Greeneville's LeAndre Dabney posted a 4-3 decision over Gregory Gomez of Martlin Luther King.

David Harper's 5-3 decision over Father Ryan's Parker Petersen earned Best Match honors in D-II.

The Blue Raiders won their third-straight State Duals title here two weeks ago and they now have their third straight traditional title as well after completing the three-day tournament with 247 points.

“I feel pretty good right now as we had three champions, four finalists and 10 who earned medals.  And we set a school record for most points scored at this tournament as we got 247 and 233.5 was the previous high,” the former UTC standout expressed while the last few championship matches were being wrestled.

“I’m absolutely pleased with the way our kids performed this weekend as all wrestled with intensity and total effort.  They all fought hard in every match and that’s all I can ask.

“Finishing second to Bradley last weekend in the region was very motivational for our kids and that’s probably why we got 10 in the medals. We have great respect for Ben Smith and the entire Bradley program as they help make us better,” Knox added.

Wilson Central, which finished second to Cleveland in the state duals, finished second again this weekend as they were a ways back with 188 points.

Blackman was third with 156 while the Bradley Bears were fourth with 148.  Dobyns-Bennett completed the top five teams with 124.5 points.

Cleveland had entries in all 14 weight classes and headed back home with 10 medalists, including three champions, one runner-up, three thirds, two fourths and two sixths.

The champions for the Blue Raiders included Bentley Ellison at 106, Trae McDaniel at 126 and Ashton Davis at 220. 

Jackson Bradford was second at 120 while Arlo Laxson (113) and Cael Laxton (152) both claimed third place.  Nate Schilling (160) and Zach Brezna (170) were both fourth while Garrett Stevenson (145) and Tetoe Boyd (182) were both sixth.

Ellison had lost to Bradley’s Ethan Wilson in last week’s Region 4-AAA tournament at Rhea County, but the spunky freshman got even on the bigger stage with the 2-1 win.

McDaniel won with a 7-5 decision over Brennan Watkins of Dobyns-Bennett while Davis posted a 12-2 major decision over Brandon Elkins of Knoxville Halls.

While Cleveland had 10 medalists, neighboring arch-rival Bradley finished the weekend with six in the medals, including runner-up Wilson at 106.

Gavin Hughes was third at 132 while Tyrone McDonald was fourth at 182.  Taron Patterson was fifth at 126 while Easton Lipsey and Caleb Jeffers both finished sixth at 113 and 170, respectively.

Other second-place finishes for Chattanooga-area AAA competitors in addition to Bradford included Soddy Daisy's Hayden Maynor at 182, East Hamilton's Jason Brumlow at 195 and Walker Valley's Jadon Langford at 285.

Bradley coach Ben Smith, who is always looking for ways to get better, came into this tournament with all 14 individuals and hoping to earn at least eight and maybe 10 medals.

It didn’t quite work out that way.

“The results aren’t what we wanted, but our fate was sealed during Friday’s matches,” Smith said while the individual medals were being presented.

“I thought we had a chance of getting eight and possibly 10 in the medals, but we finished fourth and that’s about right for how we wrestled.  Blackman had a great round this morning and that’s how they took over third, but this is a bitter-sweet weekend for me as it’s tough to see careers end for seniors who have worked so hard.

“But I’m really proud of Cleveland as they wrestled lights out all weekend.  They won the matches they were supposed to win and didn’t lose where they were favored.  I’m real happy to share a town with them, but we have three medalists coming back and we hope to finish a little higher next year,” Smith said.

Walker Valley’s Langford finished second for the second straight year, losing again to a really tough opponent named Skyler Coffey from Brentwood.  Walker Valley coach Allan Morris couldn’t have been any more proud.

“Jadon finished second again, but he has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of as he got the toughest kid in the tournament for the second-straight year.  We just have to give credit where credit is due, but the Coffey kid is a tremendous athlete and a great wrestler.

“We tried to execute a game plan but we were simply overpowered,” Morris explained.

While Cleveland had the most AAA champions with three, there were seven other teams with at least one champ.

Borders was the only champ from runner-up Wilson Central, but this is quite an impressive young man as he finished the season unbeaten at 57-0 and won the 113-pound title for the second times in three years after taking second last year.

He looks like a young Ric Flair with the mullet haircut.  He always has a pair of dark sunglasses on when he’s not wrestling, but he’s a fun one to watch.  He appears to be a very confident young man, but after looking at his previous record, he has certainly earned that right.

Other champions included Beech teammates Trey Bates at 120 and Mason Smith at 152, Science Hill’s Tyler Seeley at 132, Clarksville teammates Christian Isbell at 138 and Gabriel Smith at 170.  Also Tre Morrisette (160) and Jackson Hurst (145) were champs for Dobyns-Bennett.

Blackman’s Brooks Sacharczyk was the winner at 182 while Brentwood’s Johnny Mac Feldhacker was the winner at 195 and joined teammate Coffey at the top of the podium.

Baylor repeated in Division II as the Red Raiders had the most individual winners of any classification as they earned six championships out of eight finalists.  All 13 of Baylor’s entries earned medals with none lower than fourth.

Baylor finished the weekend with 248.5 points, some 65 points ahead of runner-up Christian Brothers.  McCallie was a close third with 176.5 while Father Ryan was fourth and MBA fifth.

While Baylor had six champions, Christian Brothers and McCallie both had four apiece.

Baylor’s six winners included Nick Cordey at 106, Jackson Bond at 113, Noah Horst at 132, Garrison Dendy at 138, Connor Duffy at 182 and Harper at 195.

McCallie’s four included Emory Taylor at 126, Whitworth at 160, Gavin Cagle at 170 and James Howard at 285.  Those four champions from Christian Brothers included Dayne Dalrymple at 120, Evan Anthony at 145, Garrett Bowers at 152 and Al Wooten at 220.

Horst is now a four-time champ as is McCallie’s Whitworth. Bond, Dendy, Duffy and Harper are now two-time champs for Baylor while Taylor is now a three-timer for the Blue Tornado after winning at 120 last year and at 113 in 2018.  Cagle is another repeat winner.

“We had a good day on Saturday as six of eight finalists won and we won nine of 10 in the consolation rounds this morning,” said Baylor coach Ben Nelson.

“We were in a good position coming in and took advantage, but these young men did an incredible job preparing for this weekend and were rewarded for their hard work.  All 13 of our guys got a medal and none were lower than fourth, so it was a good weekend for us,” Nelson added.

Pigeon Forge won the A-AA for the second-straight year and sixth time in the past seven years.  The Tigers had three champions and finished with 224 points.

Fairview was a distant second with 143.5 while Greeneville was third with 134.5.  Hixson and Signal Mountain finished fourth and fifth with 120.5 and 117.5 points, respectively.

Pigeon Forge’s three winners included Josh Parton at 132, Foreman at 138 and Colby Dalon at 152.

Signal Mountain had four finalists and finished with two champions in brothers Caleb Uhorchuk at 106 and Daniel Uhorchuk at 120.  Parrish Pacetti was Hixson’s champ at 220.

Other A-AA state champs included Greeneville’s trio of Dabney at 113, Hunter Mason at 126 and Kodiak Cannedy at 145.  Forrest had two in Nick McClendon at 170 and Noah Hill at 182. Others included Wyatt McLemore of Eagleville at 160 and Jonathan Morton of Elizabethton at 195.  Lance Williams of Alcoa was the winner at 285.

Hixson coach Garrick Hall wasn’t the happiest coach in the building as he felt like his wrestlers didn’t perform up to their capability.

“We’re just trying to get through the day as we’re all tired and ready to go home,” he began.

“I’m really proud of Parrish Pacetti as he did all the summer work and has done all we asked and more.  He put the time in and it paid off.  He beat that same kid last year for fifth place, so we knew it would be a tough match, but it’s all about getting that first takedown and he was able to do that,” Hall smiled.

AAA FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Cleveland 247; 2. Wilson Central 188; 3. Blackman 156; 4. Bradley 148; 5. Dobyns-Bennett 124.5; 6. Science Hill 115.5; 7. Clarksville 90.5; 8. Rossview 90; 9. Brentwood and Oakland tied with 87; 19. Soddy Daisy 55.5; 20. Walker Valley 55; 21. East Hamilton 54; 45. McMinn Co. 17; 61. Ooltewah 8; 69. Rhea Co. 4

AAA CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Bentley Ellison (Cleveland) dec. Ethan Wilson (Bradley), 2-1;

113 – Thomas Borders (Wilson Central) pinned Justin Bradford (Blackman), 5:47;

120 – Trey Bates (Beech) dec. Jackson Bradford (Cleveland), 6-1;

126 – Trae McDaniel (Cleveland) dec. Brennan Watkins (Dobyns-Bennett), 7-5;

132 – Tyler Seeley (Science Hill) dec. Ethan Moore (Rossview), 6-0;

138 – Christian Isbell (Clarksville) pinned Alan Fort (Wilson Central), 3:42;

145 – Jackson Hurst (Dobyns-Bennett) dec. Thomas Williams (Rossview), 7-6;

152—Mason Smith (Beech) dec. Levi Stone (Wilson Central), 5-3 in overtime;

160 – Tre Morrisette (Dobyns-Bennett) dec. Dejon Glaster (Oakland), 11-7;

170 – Gabriel Smith (Clarksville) dec. Josh Pietarila (Hardin Valley), 4-3;

182 – Brooks Sacharczyk (Blackman) dec. Hayden Maynor (Soddy Daisy), 5-1;

195 – Johnny Mac Feldhacker (Brentwood) major dec. Jason Brumlow (East Hamilton), 11-2;

220 – Ashton Davis (Cleveland) major dec. Brandon Elkins (Knoxville Halls), 12-2;

285 – Skyler Coffey (Brentwood) pinned Jadon Langford (Walker Valley), 2:26.

A-AA FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Pigeon Forge 224; 2. Fairview 143.5; 3. Greeneville 134.5; 4. Hixson 120.5; 5. Signal Mountain 117.5; 6. Nolensville 112.5; 7. Gibbs 108; 8. Alcoa 102; 9. Forrest 79; 10. Eagleville 72.5; 13. Whitwell 45.5; 18. Red Bank 28; 22. Central and East Ridge tied with 18; 27. Brainerd 12; 31. Howard 7; 37. Polk Co. and Sale Creek tied with 3.

A-AA CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Caleb Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) major dec. Cole Dorsett (Nolensville), 9-0;

113 – LeAndre Dabney (Greeneville) dec. Gregory Gomez (MLK), 4-3;

120 – Daniel Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) dec. Trevor Lewis (Hixson), 3-0;

126 – Hunter Mason (Greeneville) won by technical fall over Riley Lippencott (Nolensville), 5:35;

132 – Josh Parton (Pigeon Forge) dec. Dalen Kimble (Sycamore), 3-2;

138 – Garrett Foreman (Pigeon Forge) pinned Riley Bennett (Fairview), 4:38;

145 – Kodiak Cannedy (Greeneville) pinned Kevin Muschel (Signal Mountain), 2:56;

152 – Colby Dalon (Pigeon Forge) pinned Ryan Wimbley (Alcoa), 3:18;

160 – Wyatt McLemore (Eagleville) major dec. Preston Worley (Signal Mountain), 14-6;

170 – Nick McClendon (Forrest) pinned Matthew Trotter (Creek Wood), :55;

182 – Noah Hill (Forrest) pinned Joseph Skidmore (Pigeon Forge), 5:05;

195 – Jonathan Morton (Elizabethton) pinned Caleb Wolfe (Pigeon Forge), 1:32;

220 – Parrish Pacetti (Hixson) dec. Elliott Grinder (Hume-Fogg), 6-2;

285 – Lance Williams (Alcoa) dec. Garrison Albino (Gibbs), 1-0.

DIVISION II FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Baylor 248.5; 2. Christian Brothers 183.5; 3. McCallie 176.5; 4. Father Ryan 142.5; 5. Montgomery Bell Academy 93; 6. Brentwood Academy 52; 7. Boyd-Buchanan 40; 8. Notre Dame 38; 9. Memphis University School 35; 10. Friendship Christian 32; 14. Chattanooga Christian 11.

DIVISION II CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Nick Cordey (Baylor) pinned Wills Bronson (Christian Brothers), 1:48;

113 – Jackson Bond (Baylor) major dec. Tre McTorry (Brentwood Academy), 11-2;

120 – Dayne Dalrymple (Christian Brothers) pinned Jack Braman (McCallie), 4:36;

126 – Emory Taylor (McCallie) major dec. Thomas Wesnofske (Father Ryan), 13-3;

132 – Noah Horst (Baylor) major dec. Aidan Bowers (Christian Brothers), 8-0;

138 – Garrison Dendy (Baylor) dec. Sean Pitts (Father Ryan), 7-0;

145 – Evan Anthony (Christian Brothers) dec. Benjamin Marchetti (Father Ryan), 9-5;

152 – Garrett Bowers (Christian Brothers) dec. Lawrence Madson (Father Ryan), 9-2;

160 – Alex Whitworth (McCallie) major dec. Omaury Alvarez (Baylor), 13-1;

170 – Gavin Cagle (McCallie) dec. JaCorey Miller (Father Ryan), 3-2;

182 – Connor Duffy (Baylor) pinned Chase Looper (McCallie), 3:59;

195 – David Harper (Baylor) dec. Parker Petersen (Father Ryan), 5-3;

220 – Al Wooten (Christian Brothers) pinned Barrett Chambers (Baylor), 1:11;

285 – James Howard (McCallie) pinned Ryan Jackson (Friendship Christian), 5:51.

AAA CONSOLATION FINAL FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Keegan Schulz (Munford) dec. Nicholas Mercante (Wilson Central), 3-2;

113 – Arlo Laxton (Cleveland) pinned Chris Calvin (McGavock), 4:20;

120 – Andrew Artiles (Collierville) won by medical forfeit over Grant Fetters (Wilson Central);

126 – Samuel Shires (Rossview) dec. Mason Sells (Blackman), 6-0;

132 – Gavin Hughes (Bradley) dec. Franky Medina (Riverdale), 4-3;

138 – Braxton Mann (Science Hill) dec. Landon Fisher (Jefferson Co.), 9-3;

145 – Alex Ables (Centennial) dec. Dylan Cockman (Arlington), 8-6 in overtime;

152 – Cael Laxton (Cleveland) pinned Derrick Bannister (Kenwood), 3:53;

160 – Jared Harter (Science Hill) dec. Nate Schilling (Cleveland), 5-4;

170 – Anthony Gomez (Blackman) dec. Zach Brezna (Cleveland), 7-5 in overtime;

182 – Cooper Richards (Springfield) pinned Tyrone McDonald (Bradley), 2:39;

195 – Joshua Cummins (Anderson Co.) pinned Kallum Lowe (Walker Valley), 2:26;

220 – Bowdy Boyce (Blackman) won by injury default over Ryver Shelton (Jefferson Co.);

285 – Jared Dawson (Collierville) pinned Gabrille Fletcher (McGavock), 1:39.

AAA CONSOLATION FINALS FOR FIFTH PLACE

106 – Owen Gobel (Franklin) dec. Grant Myers (Blackman), 11-7;

113 – Kolin Koss (Bartlett) pinned Easton Lipsey (Bradley), 4:59;

120 – Ross Keith (Lebanon) pinned Steven Dindl (Bartlett), 2:36;

126 – Taron Patterson (Bradley) dec. Presley Dittmer (Centennial), 4-2;

132 – Kenney Harless (Stewarts Creek) dec. Riley Fort (Wilson Central), 7-4;

138 – Tanner Willett (Independence) dec. Nate Kinnear (Houston), 14-7;

145 – Steven Fisak (Wilson Central) pinned Garrett Stevenson (Cleveland), :29;

152 – Joseph Frye (Science Hill) pinned Amange Abdurrahman (Overton), 4:04;

160 – Owen Zuckerman (Houston) dec. Landon Lewis (Soddy Daisy), 5-0;

170 – Cade Meeks (East Hamilton) dec. Caleb Jeffers (Bradley), 8-2;

182 – Cade Young (Houston) dec. Tetoe Boyd (Cleveland), 1-0;

195 – Dominic Love (Mt. Juliet) won by medical forfeit over Thomas Stadel (Maryville);

220 – Deion Harris (Houston) pinned Amir Saleib (Overton), 2:37;

285 – Graham Keating (Oakland) dec. Jesse Richardson (Wilson Central), 2-1.

A-AA CONSOLATION FINALS  FOR THIRD PLACE

106 – Marcus Smith (Gibbs) major dec. Hunter Gentry (Pigeon Forge), 12-2;

113 – Andy Cable (Pigeon Forge) pinned Seth McCoy (Forrest), 1:29;

120 – Caleb Gumlick (Pigeon Forge) dec. Logan Heckert (Sycamore), 3-2;

126 – Cole McCartney (Greenbrier) dec. Noah Dyer (Pigeon Forge), 7-6;

132 – Hunter Johnson (Greeneville) major dec. Jeremiah Shackleford (Hixson), 10-2;

138 – Jacob Vogelpohl (Nolensville) pinned Christian Moore (Gibbs), 2:15;

145 – Malachi Bennett (Fairview) dec. Alex Overbay (Sullivan South), 11-4;

152 – Gavin Channell (Nolensville) dec. Ken Curtis (Fairview), 9-2;

160 – Antonio Washington (Bolton) pinned Anthony Jones (Alcoa), 4:25;

170 – Caden Cline (Red Bank) pinned William Carter (Alcoa), 1:37;

182 – Jason Dennis (Eagleville) dec. Cody DeLano (Fairview), 6-5;

195 – Kambell Brown (Alcoa) pinned McKinley Wagner (Nolensville), 3:31;

220 – Ethan Sutton (Pigeon Forge) dec. Cameron Hensley (Greeneville), 7-2 in overtime;

285 – Devotis McCurdy (Hixson) pinned James Headrick (Whitwell), 1:10.

A-AA CONSOLATION FINALS FOR FIFTH PLACE

106 – Jaden Tincher (Millington Central) dec. Taylor Turner (Harpeth), 5-4;

113 – Jeff Bottoms (Greenbrier) major dec. Malik Wooten (Millington Central), 9-1;

120 – Brody McLemore (Eagleville) pinned Zach Derrick (Fairview), 2:01;

126 – Brice Barton (Whitwell) dec. Blake Mitchell (Fairview), 9-5;

132 – Rolando Lucio (Harpeth) dec. George Gillman (Gibbs), 8-7;

138 – Clay Gallant (Signal Mountain) dec. Caleb Miller (Hixson), 2-1;

145 – Colby Tate (Gibbs) dec. Mark Helser (Sycamore), 13-7;

152 – Jacob Roberts (Whitwell) won by medical forfeit over John Pittman (Gibbs);

160 – Marco Pukl (Fairview) dec. Cooper Edwards (Harpeth), 3-2;

170 – Luke Maxwell (Fairview) pinned Isaac Haynie (Greeneville), 4:18;

182 – Kirk Parsons (Gibbs) won by technical fall over Nathan Montpool (Nolensville), 4:56;

195 – Jacob Clevenger (Fairview) pinned Jerry Campbell (East Nashville), 2:32;

220 – Donavyn Walker (Chattanooga Central) dec. Xavier Wood (Brainerd), 6-1;

285 – Mustafi Algarawi (Pigeon Forge) dec. Kaymon Overton (East Nashville), 9-4.

106 – Tate Williams (Boyd-Buchanan) dec. A.J. Jolly (Chattanooga Christian), 6-0;

113 – Nicholas Ridings (McCallie) dec. Bob Deitch (Notre Dame), 7-4;

120 – Kade Hartline (Baylor) dec. Chase Eakes (Friendship Christian), 4-2 in overtime;

126 – Ryan Tisdale (Baylor) dec. Will Higgins (MBA), 6-2;

132 – Ian McGehee (MUS) major dec. Frank Perazzini (MBA), 10-2;

138 – Adam Garfinkel (MBA) pinned Sebastian Bougeois (St. Benedict), 3:46;

145 – Chase Radpour (Baylor) dec. Rand Holtzclaw (McCallie), 7-5;

152 – Christian Howard (MUS) dec. Anthony Mannella (Baylor), 2-1;

160 – Logan Spell (Brentwood Academy) major dec. Jack Revere (Battle Ground), 18-10;

170 – Ronald Garriques (Baylor) dec. Gervacio Gonzalez (Christian Brothers), 7-2;

182 – Anthony Wright (Father Ryan) dec. Mason Skeeters (MBA), 2-1;

195 – Gabe Fisher (MBA) dec. Conner Billingsley (Christian Brothers), 3-2;

220 – David Dixon (Boyd-Buchanan) pinned Toleo Malone (Ensworth), 2:11;

285 – Jacob Brigman (Notre Dame) pinned Joseph Moore (MBA), 1:55.

D-II CONSOLATION FINALS FOR FIFTH PLACE

106 – Ellis Haney (McCallie) pinned Joseph Jones (Father Ryan), 2:58;

113 – Matt Oberlander (Father Ryan) won by technical fall over Brycen Jones (Goodpasture), 3:13;

120 – Ben Beaver (Grace Christian) dec. Jack Ward (Brentwood Academy), 8-4;

126 – Sam Lee (Christian Brothers) dec. Parker Sapp (CAK), 2-1;

132 – Nathan Harris (CAK) dec. Ian Herring (McCallie), 10-5;

138 – Micah Douglass (Christian Brothers) dec. Francisco Palacios (Notre Dame), 5-1;

145 – Robby Barnes (MBA) pinned Dominick Coker (Boyd-Buchanan), 3:34;

152 – Dan McGuire (MBA) major dec. Manny Scott (Brentwood Academy), 9-1;

160 – Torrance Bostick (MUS) pinned Julian Waters (Boyd-Buchanan). 1:52;

170 – Drew White (Franklin Road Academy) dec. Kaden White (Knox. Catholic), 7-2;

182 – Theo Sewell (Christian Brothers) won by forfeit over Russell Holbrook (Brentwood Academy);

195 – Josh Taube (St. George’s) dec. Iman Lohrasbi (Battle Ground), 7-3;

220 – Antonio Wright (Father Ryan) dec. Brik Boruff (Knox. Webb), 4-3 in overtime;

285 – Aaron Gray (Nashville Christian) pinned Jackson Smith (St. Benedict), 3:25.

Sommers,

I know you don’t like me because I busted your chops once 10 years ago but don’t slight my kids because of it. Recheck your A/AA final team scores and see if you skipped anyone. I’m sure the good folks at Greenbrier wouldn’t mind recognition as well as Harpeth, Creekwood and a few others.

Thanks.

Sycamore War Eagles

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hamblin said:

Sommers,

I know you don’t like me because I busted your chops once 10 years ago but don’t slight my kids because of it. Recheck your A/AA final team scores and see if you skipped anyone. I’m sure the good folks at Greenbrier wouldn’t mind recognition as well as Harpeth, Creekwood and a few others.

Thanks.

Sycamore War Eagles

I don't know sommers but you look foolish here calling him out. First that write up is from Chattanoogan.com that he copied and pasted onto here, he didn't write that himself. So no one shorted yours kids or greenbrier as the writer did the top 10 and after that skipped to where Chattanooga area teams finished in the division. Since you didn't pay attention when it says by John Hunt here is where it is  located. https://www.chattanoogan.com/2020/2/22/404555/Baylor-Cleveland-Repeat-As-State.aspx

Edited by cobrakid8

2 hours ago, Hamblin said:

Sommers,

Thanks.

Sycamore War Eagles

Kudos and my sincerest apologies sir...

I remember your team(s), and others up that way like rossview, Harpeth, Ashland City, Montgomery Central, Clarksville NW, Sycamore, Springfield and others (just edited/added... like traditionally stronger and most recently Bedan/Isabel's Clarksville) I believe I'm forgetting...

It actually is thrilling to see the results of the hardcore dedication that you, Coach Hamblin and others have put forth showing TN those sweet fruits of late.

I'm having a senior moment regarding your busting my chops 10 years ago (maybe 20 yrs?) and would certainly welcome a reminder, ol Wrestling Patriot.

Please feel free to post anything I randomly miss. It Is not my intent to leave anything I find unposted and especially to show any partiality whatsoever.

Kudos to those of you that have peaked at the right time of year and may others who did not return with a vengeance in 21&22!!;

Regards

Soms

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

I don't know sommers but you look foolish here calling him out. First that write up is from Chattanoogan.com that he copied and pasted onto here, he didn't write that himself. So no one shorted yours kids or greenbrier as the writer did the top 10 and after that skipped to where Chattanooga area teams finished in the division. Since you didn't pay attention when it says by John Hunt here is where it is  located. https://www.chattanoogan.com/2020/2/22/404555/Baylor-Cleveland-Repeat-As-State.aspx

Thanks for the clarification....

Here's some Cookeville area coverage. ...

Cookeville's Raper finishes second at state

Cookeville's Lizzy Raper, top, works her advantage during a match at the TSSAA Class AAA Individual Wrestling State Tournament in Franklin.
Cookeville's Lizzy Raper, top, works her advantage during a match at the TSSAA Class AAA Individual Wrestling State Tournament in Franklin.
BEN CRAVEN | HERALD-CITIZEN
 Buy this photo
Posted Sunday, February 23, 2020
HERALD-CITIZEN STAFF REPORTS

FRANKLIN — Out of the nine wrestlers that Cookeville High School sent to the TSSAA Class AAA Individual State Tournament at the Williamson County Agricultural Exposition Park, it was the lone Lady Cavalier that stood out. 

On Saturday, Cookeville’s Lizzy Raper (103 pounds) claimed second place in her weight class for the second year in a row after falling to David Crockett’s Avery Kibelbek in the championship match. Raper made it all the way to the third round, but she was pinned 10 seconds in.
Her journey began Friday as she won her first two matches to advance to the championship Saturday. First, she pinned Blackman’s Alyson Colson 14 seconds into the second round, and she finished the day by winning a 10-8 decision over West Creek’s Ella-lina Gonzalez.
“I’m extremely proud of Lizzie,” CHS head coach Scott Cook said. “She’s such a tough athlete. To get to this moment two years straight is a great accomplishment. Reaching the finals in a sport where it can all be over in two seconds is intense. 
“She has wrestled well this tournament. It was tied 6-6 in the second period when Lizzie got caught on her back from a takedown. She should be proud of what she’s done.”
Raper was the only wrestler from Cookeville to reach the podium as the three Cavaliers who advanced to Friday’s action were eliminated.
After losing one of their matches Thursday, both Ethan McWilliams (152) and Sam Harness (285) were eliminated by losing their first matches Friday. Mikey Gonzalez (138) was the only Cavalier to win both of his matches Thursday, but he was eliminated after losing his first two matches Friday.
“Man, I’m extremely proud of all the guys and what they’ve done here,” Cook said. “This is a tough tournament. I know the guys are disappointed that they didn’t medal, but to still be wrestling at this point in the tournament says a lot for these guys as wrestlers. 
“This time last week, everybody was just focused on getting here. Our competitive nature has us always striving for more, and sometimes, you have to manage expectations. We might not have performed to the level we wanted to, but we performed at a high level.”

2 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

What’s the sense in printing something if you don’t verify the information first? I understand what he does but wouldn’t you yourself do the same thing, like read it first then verify the information is valid, then copy and paste it?