Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

KY update...

Union County wrestling makes history, wins 6th consecutive state title

Celebratory Parade thru Morganfield at 3:00, Sunday

By Aaron Hancock | March 27, 2021 at 11:46 PM CDT - Updated March 27 at 11:46 PM

WINCHESTER, KY (WFIE) - Union County has had a headlock, on high school wrestling, in Kentucky. The Braves have won an incredible, 12 state championships, and Saturday, they were going for lucky number 13, in the state finals, at Winchester, Kentucky.

Well, the Braves got the job done. The 2021 Union County wrestling squad won the program’s 13th state championship, and it marked their sixth consecutive state title! Their final team score of 244, was 28 better than Ryle, who finished with 216. Johnson Central was the next closest team, with 189.5.

Along the way, the Braves also had three wrestlers win individual state titles. 7th-grader Jordyn Raney got first place at 106 pounds. Senior Payne Carr won the championship at 152, and senior Stephen Little won the title, at 182.

Also, Ohio County’s Andrew Pottle took home 2nd place at 285. He was the only other wrestler from the Tri-State area, not from Union County.

The Braves will have a welcome home parade, tomorrow at 3:00, through Morganfield, which will end at the high school, with an outdoor celebration in front of the school.

Below, are the final results, by weight class and by team scores:

--106 POUNDS--

1st Place - Jordyn Raney of Union County

2nd Place - Breyden Whorton of LaRue County

3rd Place - Miller Brown of Oldham County

4th Place - James Morris of Johnson Central

--113 POUNDS--

1st Place - Matthew Meyer of St. Xavier

2nd Place - Adam Williams of Johnson Central

3rd Place - Hunter Jenkins of Union County

4th Place - Leland Reeves of Taylor County

--120 POUNDS--

1st Place - Spencer Moore of Walton-Verona

2nd Place - Trayce Eckman of Union County

3rd Place - Joseph Sander of Ryle

4th Place - Timothy Nichols of Caldwell County

--126 POUNDS--

1st Place - Cole Thomas of Ryle

2nd Place - George Ferree of Trinity (Louisville)

3rd Place - Braedon Herron of North Hardin

4th Place - Jayden Frazier of Paducah Tilghman

--132 POUNDS--

1st Place - Isaac Thornton of Walton-Verona

2nd Place - Eli Peyton of Paducah Tilghman

3rd Place - Thomas Hoppes of LaRue County

4th Place - Jonah Bowers of Campbell County

--138 POUNDS--

1st Place - Devon Herron of North Hardin

2nd Place - Austin Grant-Hall of Christian County

3rd Place - Bryant Beane of Trinity (Louisville)

4th Place - Scotty Vilums of Male

--145 POUNDS--

1st Place - Zac Cowan of Madison Central

2nd Place - Malachi Rider of Paducah Tilghman

3rd Place - Samuel Grandstaff of Conner

4th Place - Reece Goss of Johnson Central

--152 POUNDS--

1st Place - Payne Carr of Union County

2nd Place - Carter Messerly of Ryle

3rd Place - Ty Lehman of Trinity (Louisville)

4th Place - Jeffrey Kinley of Madison Central

--160 POUNDS--

1st Place - Thomas Ketchen-Carter of Campbell County

2nd Place - Cole Nance of Anderson County

3rd Place - Zack McCourt of Johnson Central

4th Place - Quinten Cox of Union County

--170 POUNDS--

1st Place - Noah Duke of Ryle

2nd Place - Dalton Russelburg of Union County

3rd Place - Lane Kiser of Trinity (Louisville)

4th Place - Dylan Walls of Caldwell County

--182 POUNDS--

1st Place - Stephen Little of Union County

2nd Place - Everett Marret of St. Xavier

3rd Place - chase price of Johnson Central

4th Place - Jackson Geilear of Woodford County

--195 POUNDS--

1st Place - Oscar (J.T.) Adams of Christian County

2nd Place - Jerry Simpson of Fairdale

3rd Place - Levid Rodriguez of Johnson Central

4th Place - Dyllan Davis of Anderson County

--220 POUNDS--

1st Place - Dakota Brooksbank of Simon Kenton

2nd Place - Gabe Savage of Ryle

3rd Place - Darius Moore of Union County

4th Place - Zaine Christian of Ashland Blazer

--285 POUNDS--

1st Place - Branson Smith of Martin County

2nd Place - Andrew Pottle of Ohio County

3rd Place - TyDarius Kelly of Christian County

4th Place - Ian Hughes of Simon Kenton

--FINAL TEAM SCORES--

1. Union County -- 244

2. Ryle -- 216

3. Johnson Central -- 189.5

4. Trinity (Louisville) -- 170

5. Paducah Tilghman -- 139

6. Lou. St. Xavier -- 134.5

7. Campbell County -- 113.5

8. Christian County -- 94

9. Walton-Verona -- 92

10. Fairdale -- 83

11. Simon Kenton -- 82

12. LaRue County -- 76

13. Madison Central -- 72.5

14. Martin County -- 66

15. Woodford County -- 64

16. Anderson County -- 61.5

17. North Hardin -- 58.5

18. Caldwell County -- 58

19. Male -- 53.5

20. Bullitt East -- 52

21. McCreary Central -- 51

22. Conner -- 50.0

23. Wayne County -- 48

24. Ashland Blazer -- 46.5

25. Fern Creek -- 45

26. Lafayette -- 44.5

27. Oldham County -- 41

28. Madison Southern -- 33

29. Ohio County -- 30

30. Taylor County -- 25

https://www.14news.com/2021/03/28/union-county-wrestling-makes-history-wins-th-consecutive-state-title/

Did you wonder what happened to UNI senior Taylor Lujan of Georgia?

JUNIOR (2018-19): Automatically qualified for his third trip to the NCAAs with a second-place finish at Big 12 Championships ... took second at Midlands ... finished third at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite at 174 pounds ... named Big 12 Wrestler of the Week Dec. 17 and Feb. 5 ... won the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open ... named to the Academic All-Big 12 Second Team ... led team for second consecutive year in dual scoring.
Top-20 wins:

No. 5 Joe Smith (Oklahoma State) 5-4 - Feb. 1, dual

No. 9 Mikey Labriola (Nebraska) 10-5 - Jan. 12, dual

No. 14 Brandon Womack (Cornell) 14-6 MD - Dec. 16, dual

No. 16 Brandon Womack (Cornell) 16-9 - Nov. 30, Cliff Keen Invite

No. 12 Kimball Bastian (Utah Valley) 3-1, Big 12 Championships

No. 8 Devin Skatzka (Minnesota) 3:22 F, NCAA Championships

SOPHOMORE (2017-18): Won second conference championship (1x MAC / 1x Big 12) to earn second trip to NCAA tournament ... was first Panther in UNI history to win Big 12 Wrestler of the Week ... notched two top-20 wins (No. 18 Forrest Przybysz of Appalachian State and No. 12 Keaton Subjeck of Stanford) to take third at Southern Scuffle ... fourth at Cliff Keen, where he pinned No. 9 Jadaen Bernstein (Navy) in 52 seconds ... opened season with titles at Harold Nichols and Grand View opens at 174 pounds ... knocked off No. 6 Brandon Womack of Cornell in first dual of the year. Other top-20 wins: No. 9 and No. 10 David Kocer (South Dakota State), No. 12 Ethan Ramos (North Carolina), No. 13 Jacobe Smith (Oklahoma State)

REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (2016-17): Won the MAC Championships to earn an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament ... seventh at Southern Scuffle ... as an unranked wrestler, knocked off No. 8 Zac Brunson of Illinois to win the UNI Open Dec. 3, 2016 ... won the Grand View Open at 174 pounds.

FRESHMAN (2015-16):  Won the Pat Flanagan Open ... tied with teammate Jacob Holschlag for Buena Vista Open title at 174 pounds ... fourth at Harold Nichols Cyclone Open ... finished 6th at the UNI Open ... opened with a tech fall and major decision wrestling unattached at the Midlands Championships.

HIGH SCHOOL:  Four-time Georgia state champion ... lost just one match as a prep for Carrollton High School in Carrollton, Georgia (223-1) ... won the Super 32 at 170 pounds in 2014 ... finished high school career ranked No. 4 in the nation ... four-time academic All-American ... fourth at Fila Cadet in 2013 and 2014.

PERSONAL:  From Carrollton, Georgia ... son of Eric and Renee Lujan ... has a twin sister and one older sister ... majoring in construction management ... volunteered with local wrestling club in Georgia ... chose UNI because it is the place that will make him a national champion and it felt like home ... credits his mom and dad as the biggest influence on his life for the sacrifices they have made for him, saying he can never thank them enough.

HONORS AND AWARDS:

2019: 3x NCAA qualifier

2019: 2nd at Big 12 Championships - 174 pounds
2019: Academic All-Big 12 Second Team
2019: 2nd at Midlands - 174 pounds
2019: 3rd at Cliff Keen Invite - 174 pounds
2018: 2x NCAA qualifier - 174 pounds
2018: Won Big 12 Championships - 174 pounds
2018: 3rd at Southern Scuffle - 174 pounds
2018: 4th at the Cliff Keen Invite - 174 pounds
2017: NCAA qualifier - 174 pounds
2017: Won MAC Championships - 174 pounds
2017: 7th at Southern

https://unipanthers.com/sports/wrestling/roster/taylor-lujan/4998

On 3/31/2021 at 12:09 AM, Sommers said:

Did you wonder what happened to UNI senior Taylor Lujan of Georgia?

JUNIOR (2018-19): Automatically qualified for his third trip to the NCAAs with a second-place finish at Big 12 Championships ... took second at Midlands ... finished third at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invite at 174 pounds ... named Big 12 Wrestler of the Week Dec. 17 and Feb. 5 ... won the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open ... named to the Academic All-Big 12 Second Team ... led team for second consecutive year in dual scoring.
Top-20 wins:

No. 5 Joe Smith (Oklahoma State) 5-4 - Feb. 1, dual

No. 9 Mikey Labriola (Nebraska) 10-5 - Jan. 12, dual

No. 14 Brandon Womack (Cornell) 14-6 MD - Dec. 16, dual

No. 16 Brandon Womack (Cornell) 16-9 - Nov. 30, Cliff Keen Invite

No. 12 Kimball Bastian (Utah Valley) 3-1, Big 12 Championships

No. 8 Devin Skatzka (Minnesota) 3:22 F, NCAA Championships

SOPHOMORE (2017-18): Won second conference championship (1x MAC / 1x Big 12) to earn second trip to NCAA tournament ... was first Panther in UNI history to win Big 12 Wrestler of the Week ... notched two top-20 wins (No. 18 Forrest Przybysz of Appalachian State and No. 12 Keaton Subjeck of Stanford) to take third at Southern Scuffle ... fourth at Cliff Keen, where he pinned No. 9 Jadaen Bernstein (Navy) in 52 seconds ... opened season with titles at Harold Nichols and Grand View opens at 174 pounds ... knocked off No. 6 Brandon Womack of Cornell in first dual of the year. Other top-20 wins: No. 9 and No. 10 David Kocer (South Dakota State), No. 12 Ethan Ramos (North Carolina), No. 13 Jacobe Smith (Oklahoma State)

REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (2016-17): Won the MAC Championships to earn an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament ... seventh at Southern Scuffle ... as an unranked wrestler, knocked off No. 8 Zac Brunson of Illinois to win the UNI Open Dec. 3, 2016 ... won the Grand View Open at 174 pounds.

FRESHMAN (2015-16):  Won the Pat Flanagan Open ... tied with teammate Jacob Holschlag for Buena Vista Open title at 174 pounds ... fourth at Harold Nichols Cyclone Open ... finished 6th at the UNI Open ... opened with a tech fall and major decision wrestling unattached at the Midlands Championships.

HIGH SCHOOL:  Four-time Georgia state champion ... lost just one match as a prep for Carrollton High School in Carrollton, Georgia (223-1) ... won the Super 32 at 170 pounds in 2014 ... finished high school career ranked No. 4 in the nation ... four-time academic All-American ... fourth at Fila Cadet in 2013 and 2014.

PERSONAL:  From Carrollton, Georgia ... son of Eric and Renee Lujan ... has a twin sister and one older sister ... majoring in construction management ... volunteered with local wrestling club in Georgia ... chose UNI because it is the place that will make him a national champion and it felt like home ... credits his mom and dad as the biggest influence on his life for the sacrifices they have made for him, saying he can never thank them enough.

HONORS AND AWARDS:

2019: 3x NCAA qualifier

2019: 2nd at Big 12 Championships - 174 pounds
2019: Academic All-Big 12 Second Team
2019: 2nd at Midlands - 174 pounds
2019: 3rd at Cliff Keen Invite - 174 pounds
2018: 2x NCAA qualifier - 174 pounds
2018: Won Big 12 Championships - 174 pounds
2018: 3rd at Southern Scuffle - 174 pounds
2018: 4th at the Cliff Keen Invite - 174 pounds
2017: NCAA qualifier - 174 pounds
2017: Won MAC Championships - 174 pounds
2017: 7th at Southern

https://unipanthers.com/sports/wrestling/roster/taylor-lujan/4998

You'd think UNI would include his 28-2 senior year....with him ranked #2 at 184 going into the NCAA that was cancelled.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/39506/lujan-taylor/profile

On 4/2/2021 at 8:20 AM, bamajoe said:

Where is Taylor now ? What is he doing ? 

Senior at UNI I believe or Northern illinois is what I understand.

Whitworth coverage...

Dalton native Whitworth won 5 straight high school wrestling state titles. Now, he's headed for ...

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://news.yahoo.com/dalton-native-whitworth-won-5-221900190.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTEyNTA5NjcyMzU0MzExMTA5NzQyGjI4Mjk4OGI0MDg3OTdiYTY6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNGoFOBOC9Rq50s2yDLucklnHoN-mg

Tri-Cities television coverage...

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/local-sports/local-wrestler-training-young-kids-while-keeping-an-eye-on-the-olympics/

Wrestling families are blessed to be in Tennessee...

See this NY story on a wrestler that came down 13 hours to find freedom to compete down here...

site-logo
SHARE THIS 
  •  

Warrensburg's McKenna took different route to wrestle this season

Warrensburg's Hunter McKenna hugs his father, assistant coach Scott McKenna, following his win in the 152-pound final of the Section II wrestling championships last year.

Jenn March File Photo, Special to The Post-Star

Hunter McKenna might never have wrestled at all in high school were it not for some miracles of modern medicine.

He might never have wrestled in his senior year if it weren’t for a phone call from a former teammate around Christmas time, inviting him to Tennessee for the opportunity.

McKenna, Warrensburg’s all-time leader in career victories, was diagnosed at age 12 with juvenile arthritis, a rheumatic disease that causes inflammation in the joints. In McKenna’s case, it could have been severely debilitating.

“I always thought it was an older person disease,” he said. “At 12 years old, it’s weird to tell somebody that you have arthritis. At 18, it’s still weird. I have the body of a 60-year-old.

“I wouldn’t be able to walk, I’d be wheeling myself around,” added McKenna, who plans to wrestle at Division III Augsburg University in Minneapolis next year. “Wrestling keeps me moving, it helps me a lot keeping me loose.”

“It affects every joint in his body except his jaw,” said Scott McKenna, Hunter’s father and a longtime assistant wrestling coach with Mark Trapasso at Warrensburg.

McKenna’s wrestling career had appeared all but over in December, as the state delayed the start of “high-risk” winter sports, including wrestling and basketball. Time appeared to be running out for wrestlers in New York state.

Warrensburg's Hunter McKenna, left, wrestles Hadley-Luzerne's Justin Hoffman during the 152-pound final of the Section II wrestling championships last year. McKenna, a two-time state qualifier in New York, moved to Tennessee this winter to compete in wrestling during the pandemic.

“I had posted something on Instagram saying how I didn’t think wrestling was going to happen,” said Hunter McKenna, a Section II champ and Most Outstanding Wrestler in the small schools last year. “At the time, I didn’t see myself wrestling my senior year. It wasn’t looking good.”

Then came the phone call from former Warrensburg teammate Dylan Winchell, who had moved in with his aunt and uncle in Newport, Tennessee, over the summer to play football and wrestle at Cocke County High School.

Tennessee, like many other states, was far more open than New York during the pandemic. While New York had shut down “high-risk” sports and enforced mask-wearing and social distancing, other states continued to play sports like football and wrestling through the pandemic.

“I was sitting home in December, during Christmas break, and I get a call from Dylan Winchell,” McKenna said. “He calls me up and says, ‘We’re looking for a 152-pounder. If you’re interested, we’ve got a spot for you.’”

The opportunity to wrestle his senior season was too good to pass up — despite the fact that he would have to move 860-odd miles and 13 hours from home.

First he had to talk his parents into it.

“At first, it was a no-brainer, but when I told my family what I wanted to do, I started feeling a little nervous,” Hunter McKenna said. “It was hard getting in that car the next weekend.”

“The last thing I wanted to do was bring my kid to Tennessee to wrestle,” Scott McKenna said. “He’s been a Warrensburg kid forever. I coached there for 20-plus years. But I knew he would kick himself if he didn’t do it.”

Warrensburg's Hunter McKenna reacts to his win against Hadley-Luzerne's Justin Hoffman in the 152-pound final of the Section II wrestling championships last year. McKenna, a two-time state qualifier in New York, moved to Tennessee this winter to compete in wrestling during the pandemic.

So at the beginning of the new year, the McKennas brought their oldest boy down to Tennessee for the final two months of high school wrestling season.

McKenna and Winchell were not the only area athletes to leave New York to pursue opportunities in less-restrictive states. Queensbury’s Dylan Erickson moved to Texas to play football. Corinth’s Devlin Blanchard moved to Colorado to wrestle.

“When I said I was moving out of state to wrestle, I got quite a few text messages saying they did the same thing,” Hunter McKenna said.

“Every school we talked to about wrestling — the top three were Springfield, Norwich and Augsburg — said, ‘If you have the opportunity, do it,’” Scott McKenna said.

In Tennessee, Hunter McKenna said athletes did not have to wear masks and masks were optional even for fans.

“No masks, full spectators, everything looked normal, like nothing’s going on,” he said.

Already Warrensburg’s record-holder with 173 career wins, McKenna went 19-4 in Tennessee in January and February, and qualified for the state Class AAA meet at 152 pounds, where he knocked off the third seed before losing in the quarterfinals. Winchell also made the state meet, at 126.

The best part about the state meet was having his parents coming down to watch him — and his father coaching him from the corner.

“That was awesome,” said Hunter McKenna, who is playing baseball this spring. “He’s been in my corner since I was 4 years old.

“I had two months of wrestling, but it was great,” he added. “There was a sense of normalcy. I was blessed to have a season.”

The fact that he’s able to wrestle at all is a triumph of medicine.

A wrestler since he was old enough to be on the mat, McKenna remembers coming home one day when he was 12 with what he thought was a tweaked ankle.

“But it went on for a few days, then it was my other ankle and my knees,” he said. “A few days later, I fell out of bed and I couldn’t move. I called out to my dad. It was a really scary situation.”

Scott McKenna had to carry his son into the emergency room. Then it was on to Burlington for further analysis — and a diagnosis of juvenile arthritis.

His doctors found the right combination of drugs to keep his joints limber and functioning.

“I was in a lot of pain for a few weeks. It was weird and scary,” Hunter McKenna said. “I’ve been on a few drugs for it. I used to go to Albany for 3 1/2 hours with an IV once a month. Then I got approved to do it at Glens Falls Hospital.

“Now I do a weekly injection myself and I live my life,” he added.

After consulting with his doctors last summer, McKenna tried an experiment by going off his meds.

“About a month in, I was back to square one,” he said. “That next day, we went right back to Albany. I got prednisone to get to walk, and the next day I was at Glens Falls for an IV.”

McKenna said he loosens up throughout the course of the day, just keeping himself moving.

“In the mornings I’m a little stiff, I can’t squeeze my hand to grab a pencil,” he said. “By the end of the night, I can squeeze a pencil. I’m not like a normal teen where I can run a mile and feel fine. I’ve got to take my breaks.”

Last month, McKenna committed to Augsburg, a small college in Minneapolis with one of the best Division III wrestling programs in the country. He’s planning to major in business.

“I miss my parents but it certainly was a good experience to come down to Tennessee,” he said. “It gets me ready for college, being away from home.”

Although he will graduate from high school in Tennessee, McKenna plans to be back in town to watch his former teammates graduate in June.

“I grew up with them — they’re my best friends,” he said. “All of the stuff we did in the wrestling room, all of the bonding that we had — it was one heck of a time. We wrestled every weekend, we worked for that high school level, and when we got there, we rocked it out of the park.”

https://poststar.com/sports/high-school/wrestling/warrensburgs-mckenna-took-different-route-to-wrestle-this-season/article_a158c5f0-19ec-5286-8d63-2da0eadd6b96.html

Edited by Sommers

Tennessean

Credits to Mr. Tom K

Meet the Tennessean All-Midstate high school boys and girls wrestling teams

Tom Kreager
Nashville Tennessean

e5ee7e9a-ef8d-44af-b0d0-97f18930e0f9-TSS

Boys

The first six athletes on The Tennessean All-Midstate boys wrestling team are nominees for the boys wrestler of the year. The winner will be announced on June 30 at the sixth annual Middle Tennessee High School Sports Awards presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans.

Justin Bradford

Blackman, Jr.

Weight class: 113 pounds

Why chosen: Bradford won his first state title, beating Cleveland's Bentley Ellison 6-2 in the Class AAA championship. He went 30-0 for the season.

Thomas Borders

Wilson Central, Sr.

Weight class: 120 pounds

Why chosen: Borders finished his high school career with his third state title, beating Cleveland's Arlo Laxton 3-2 in the championship to complete a 48-0 season.

Trey Bates

Beech, Sr.

Weight class: 126 pounds

Why chosen: Bates finished his high school career with his third state championship, beating Cleveland's Charles Randall 9-3 to cap a 38-0 season

Wyatt McLemore

Eagleville, Sr.

Weight class: 170 pounds

Why chosen: McLemore won his second straight Class A/AA state championship, pinning Moore County's Kaden White in 3:30 to cap a 38-0 season.

WRESTLING:Meet the Tennessee high school wrestling state champions for 2021

BORDERS WINS THIRD:Wilson Central's Thomas Borders ditches mullet for buzz cut, wins third TSSAA wrestling championship

CAPPED WITH TITLE:Tulane football signee Parker Petersen caps Father Ryan wrestling career with championship

Gabe Fisher

MBA, So.

Weight class: 220 pounds

Why chosen: Fisher pinned Knoxville Webb's Brik Boruff in 5:48 to win the Division II title and cap a 14-0 season.

Parker Petersen

Father Ryan, Sr.

Weight class: 285 pounds

Why chosen: Petersen wrapped up a 26-0 season, pinning McCallie's Lauren McDonald in 28 seconds for first DII state championship.

Rest of first team

Russell Ford

Independence, So.

Weight class: 106 pounds

Why chosen: Ford finished third in the Class AAA state meet, pinning Houston's Colby Baltz in 1:30.

Samuel Shires

Rossview, Jr.

Weight class: 132 pounds

Why chosen: Shires finished third in the Class AAA state meet, pinning Wilson Central's Riley Fort to cap a 38-2 season.

Thomas Wesnofske

Father Ryan, Sr.

Weight class: 138 pounds

Why chosen: Wesnofske defeated MUS' Hart Gowen 10-2 to finished third in the Division II tournament and cap a 16-4 season.

Steven Fisak

Wilson Central, Jr.

Weight class: 145 pounds

Why chosen: Fisak finished third in the Class AAA state tournament after pinning Bradley Central's Anthony Lynn in 1:00 to cap a 44-6 season.

Aidan Brenot

Clarksville, So.

Weight class: 152 pounds

Why chosen: Brenot finished second in the Class AAA state tournament, falling to Dobyns-Bennett's Jackson Hurst 10-5.

Joey Terry

Father Ryan, Jr.

Weight class: 160 pounds

Why chosen: Terry finished fifth in the Division II state tournament, beating MBA's Matthew Hyde 8-2 to cap a 24-7 season.

Noah Hill

Forrest, Sr.

Weight class: 182 pounds

Why chosen: Hill won the Class A/AA state championship, beating Fairview's Kendrick Curtis by an 8-4 decision to cap a 31-0 season.

Dominic Love

Green Hill, Sr.

Weight class: 195 pounds

Why chosen: Love won his first Class AAA state meet, pinning Beech's Donovan Rich in 3:57 to cap a 25-2 season.

SECOND TEAM

106: Joseph Calvin, Father Ryan, Fr.

113: Chas Stokes, Oakland, Sr.

120: Jackson Masters, Summit, Jr.

126: Calvin Eason, Father Ryan, Jr.

132: Logan Heckert, Sycamore, So.

138: Alan Fort, Wilson Central, Sr.

145: Riley Bennett, Fairview, Sr.

152: Eli Clemmons, Lebanon, Sr.

160: Justin Brown, Blackman, So.

170: Mason Smith, Beech, Sr.

182: Zachary Duessler, Rossview, Jr.

195: Donovan Rich, Beech, Sr.

220: Noah Todd, Wilson Central, So.

285: Max Fisher, MBA, So.

COACH OF THE YEAR

James Derrick

Fairview

Derrick led Fairview to its first Class A/AA state duals championship, beating Pigeon Forge in the championship to finish 22-3. It marked the first TSSAA team championship in any sport for the school.

GIRLS

The first six athletes on The Tennessean All-Midstate girls wrestling team are nominees for the girls wrestler of the year. The winner will be announced on June 30 at the sixth annual Middle Tennessee High School Sports Awards presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans.

Ella'lina Gonzalez

Clarksville, So.

Weight class: 103 pounds

Why chosen: Gonzalez won the girls championship, pinning Tullahoma's Divine Desilets in 1:31 to complete a 28-1 record.

Roseanna Vaughn

Clarksville Northwest, Jr.

Weight class: 119 pounds

Why chosen: Vaughn won the girls state tournament, pinning Clarksville Academy's Annalynn Rakett in 2:59 to finish a 29-1 season.

Rontaysia Payne

Dickson County, Sr.

Weight class: 132 pounds

Why chosen: Payne won the state championship, defeating Gibbs' Haley Redmond 14-0 to complete a 15-0 season.

Brielle Bissonette

Clarksville, Sr.

Weight class: 160 pounds

Why chosen: Bissonette won the state championship, pinning Farragut's Hailey Webb in 1:07 to complete a 28-0 season.  

Shelby Zacharias

Creek Wood, Sr.

Weight class: 170 pounds

Why chosen: Zacharias pinned Sale Creek's Katie McNabb in 36 seconds to win the state championship and complete a 24-0 season.

Justina Nikolao

Rossview, Jr.

Weight class: 215 pounds

Why chosen: Nikolao won the state championship, defeating McGavock's Valerie Smith 11-6 to complete a 17-1 season.

Rest of first team

Grace Elliott

Siegel, Jr.

Weight class: 112 pounds

Why chosen: Elliott finished third in the girls state tournament, pinning Cheatham County's Amanda Thomason in 1:49 to finish a 14-5 season.

Monteria Bigsby

Riverdale, Sr.

Weight class: 125 pounds

Why chosen: Bigsby won the state championship, defeating Independence's Baylee Peterson 3-1 to finish a 13-6 season.

Bryce White

Cane Ridge, Jr.

Weight class: 140 pounds

Why chosen: White finished second in the state tournament, falling to Carter's Jailynn Tindall by pin to complete a 6-1 season.

Elizabeth Champion

Tullahoma, Sr.

Weight class: 150 pounds

Why chosen: Champion finished second in the state tournament, losing to Bartlett's Maggie Graham 15-4. She finished 20-2 for the season.

Ariyanna Anderson

Creek Wood, Jr.

Weight class: 190 pounds

Why chosen: Anderson finished third in the state tournament, pinning Rossview's Jamya Brewer in 1:31 to complete a 20-3 season.

SECOND TEAM

103: Divine Desilets, Tullahoma, Sr.

112: Amanda Thomason, Cheatham County, Fr.

119: Annalynn Rakett, Clarksville Academy, Jr.

125: Baylee Peterson, Independence, So.

132: Erica Moore, Brentwood, Jr.

140: Brooklyn Long, Independence, So.

150: Genesis Gilmore, Montgomery Central, So.

160: Alyssa Adamo, Rossview, Fr.

170: Lily Chantler, Clarksville Northwest, So.

190: Jamya Brewer, Rossview, Sr.

215: Valerie Smith, McGavock, Jr.

COACH OF THE YEAR

Chris Bedell

Clarksville Northwest

Why chosen: Bedell led Northwest to the state championship with 70 points, seven more than second-place Clarksville. It marked the program's first team title since 2017.

Williamson Co...

2021 TSSAA State Wrestling Championship Highlights

• Charles Pulliam 
    • Mar 2, 2021 Updated Mar 2, 2021
    •  Nearly 80 Williamson County wrestlers competed over three days during the 2021 TSSAA State Wrestling Championships in Chattanooga Feb. 24-26, 2021. The county produced six finalists and one – Riley Bennett of Fairview – was crowned a state champion.

Here's a little fun tid bit, should anyone want to do something like creative...

Did you know...

Colorful career

Pistol Pez Whatley (RIP '05) came by his pro credentials honestly. He held the distinction of being the first Black prep athlete in Tennessee to win a state wrestling championship, first in 1967 and again in 1969, at Chattanooga’s Notre Dame High where he was a standout running back on the football team. He also was the first Black wrestler at UT-Chattanooga, where he was a teammate of George Weingeroff, son of legendary Tennessee manager Saul Weingeroff and a future pro himself.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/wrestling/pistol-pez-whatley-was-gifted-grappler-skilled-showman/article_82f7e4a2-9ebd-11eb-9550-57e0d6e06623.html

From Chattanoogan...

Chattanooga Has At Least One Wrestler In Every Classification On 2021 TSWA D-II All-State Team

Baylor Leads With Nine, McCallie Has Six, Boyd Buchanan And Notre Dame Two Each

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Chattanooga was well represented on the Tennessee Sports Writers Association Division II Boy’s All-State Wrestling Team with at least one local athlete named in every weight class. Baylor’s state championship team led the way with nine selectees, while McCallie garnered six spots. Boyd Buchanan and Notre Dame grabbed two honorees each.

Baylor’s Kade Hartline was named at 106 and was joined by teammates Nick Corday at 113 and Judson Jarrett at 120.

Boyd Buchanan’s Tate Williams was also honored at 113. In the 126 weight class, three locals were named; Jack Braman of McCallie, Jackson Bond of Baylor and Notre Dame’s Luke Braman.

Boyd Buchanan’s Conor Payne was selected at 132.

Also honored from the Red Raiders were Micah Tisdale in the 138 classification, along with Garrison Dendy at 145. At 160, Baylor’s Anthony Mannella was joined by McCallie’s Gavin Cagle. The Blue Tornado’s Emory Taylor was selected at 152.

Two local wrestlers were named in the 170 class, McCallie’s James Whitworth along with Omaury Alvarez from Baylor. Gunner Garriques of Baylor was honored at 182 and teammate David Harper was selected at 195.

Harvard football signee Carson Gentle of McCallie was named at 220 and the Big Blue’s Lauren McDonald  was selected at 285.

2021 TSWA Division II All-State Team
Kade Hartline, Baylor School, Sr.
Alex Ropski, Christian Brothers, So.
Joseph Calvin, Father Ryan, Fr.
Andrew Justice, Christian Academy of Knoxville, Fr.

Nick Corday, Baylor School, Jr.
Jay Eversole, Lakeway Christian, 8th grade
Tate Williams, Boyd Buchanan, Fr.
Bob Deitch, Notre Dame, Sr.

Keyveon Roller, Lakeway Christian, Jr.
Wills Bronson, Christian Brothers, So.
Judson Jarrett, Baylor School, Fr.
Matt Oberlander, Father Ryan, So.

Jack Braman, McCallie School, Sr.
Jackson Bond, Baylor School, Jr.

Calvin Eason, Father Ryan, Jr.
Luke Braman, Notre Dame, Fr.

Dayne Dalrymple, Christian Brothers, Sr.
Conor Payne, Boyd Buchanan, Fr.
Tim Charpenter, Lakeway Christian, Sr.
Parker Sapp, Christian Academy of Knoxville, Sr.

Brayden Ivy, Lakeway Christian, Jr.
Micah Tisdale, Baylor School, So.
Thomas Wesnofske, Father Ryan, Sr.
Hart Gowen, Memphis University School, Sr.

Garrison Dendy, Baylor School, Jr.
Ben Stigamier, Father Ryan, Jr.
Sam Lee, Christian Brothers, Sr.
Nick Krauss, Grace Christian Academy-Knoxville, Jr.

Emory Taylor, McCallie School, Sr.
Evan Anthony, Christian Brothers, Sr.
Ian McGehee, Memphis University School, So.
Logan Spell, Brentwood Academy, Sr.

Aidan Bowers, Christian Brothers, Jr.
Gavin Cagle, McCallie School, Sr.
Christian Howard, Memphis University School, Sr.
Anthony Mannella, Baylor School, So.

James Whitworth, McCallie School, Sr.
Jack Revere, Battle Ground Academy, Sr.
Omaury Alvarez, Baylor School, So.
Foster Salvaggio, Christian Brothers, Sr.

Gunner Garriques, Baylor School, Jr.
Gervacio Gonzalez, Christian Brothers, Jr.
Torrance Bostick, Memphis University School, Sr.
Thatcher Frankfather, Franklin Road Academy, Jr.

David Harper, Baylor School, Jr.
Theo Sewell, Christian Brothers, Sr.
Luke Estes, Lakeway Christian, Sr.
Ethan Fogle, Christian Academy of Knoxville, Sr.

Gabe Fisher, Montgomery Bell Academy, So.
Brik Boruff, Webb School-Knoxville, Sr.
Connor Billingsley, Christian Brothers, Sr.
Carson Gentle, McCallie School, Fr.

Parker Peterson, Father Ryan, Sr.
Lauren McDonald, McCallie School, Sr.
Max Fisher, Montgomery Bell Academy, So.
Dion Stutts, Memphis University School, Fr.

Tennessean...

Tennessee Sports Writers Association releases 2021 all-state high school wrestling teams

Tom Kreager
Nashville Tennessean

aa3ab3b3-e6ea-4b39-a88e-7baa3c2fe46f-TSS

The Tennessee Sports Writers Association has released its high school girls and boys all-state wrestling teams.

GIRLS

103 pounds: Ella’lina Gonzalez, Clarksville, So.; Divine Desilets, Tullahoma, Sr.; Rylee Lent, Independence, So.; Anna Fisher, Alcoa, Sr.

112: Jenna Baines, Greeneville, Fr.; Betsy Nations, Collierville, Jr.; Grace Elliott, Siegel, Jr.; Amanda Thomason, Cheatham County, Fr.

119: Roseanna Vaughn, Clarksville Northwest, Jr.; Annalynn Rakett, Clarksville Academy, Jr.; Jennifer Pranouphong, LaVergne, Sr.; Gabriella Rincon, Heritage, Fr.

125: Monteria Bigsby, Riverdale, Sr.; Baylee Peterson, Independence, So.; Katelynn Hernandez, Clarksville Northwest, So.; Aeliyha Threed, Stone Memorial, Sr.

132: Rontaysia Payne, Dickson County, Sr.; Haley Redmond, Gibbs, So.; Addie Stadler, David Crockett, Sr.; Erica Moore, Brentwood, Jr.

140: Jailynn Tindall, Carter, Jr.; Bryce White, Cane Ridge, Jr.; Brooklyn Long, Independence, So.; Brette Spink, Clarksville Northwest, Jr.

150: Maggie Graham, Bartlett, So.; Elizabeth Champion, Tullahoma, Sr.; Genesis Gilmore, Montgomery Central, So.; Kierra Blevins, Bearden, So.

160: Brielle Bissonette, Clarksville, Sr.; Hailey Webb, Farragut, So.; Alyssa Adamo, Rossview, Fr.; Ella Tallent, Jefferson County, Jr.

170: Shelby Zacharias, Creek Wood, Sr.; Katie McNabb, Sale Creek, Sr.; Lily Chantler, Clarksville Northwest, So.; Isabel Petty, Tullahoma, Jr.

190: Ella Murphey, Hardin Valley, Fr.; Chukwuedom Odeigah, Collierville, Jr.; Ariyanna Anderson, Creek Wood, Jr.; Jamya Brewer, Rossview, Jr.

215: Justina Nikolao, Rossview, Jr.; Valerie Smith, McGavock, Jr.; Taliyah Autman, Hillsboro, Sr.; Emma Tucker, Collierville, Jr.

BOYS

Class A-AA

106: Ethan Uhorchuk, Signal Mountain, 8th grade; Porter Finstad, Gibbs, Jr.; Taylor Turner, Harpeth, Jr.; Sam Frank, Fairview, Fr.

113: Caleb Uhorchuk, Signal Mountain, So.; Leandre Danbey Jr., Greeneville, Jr.; Gregory Gomez, Martin Luther King, So.; Malik Wooten, Millington, Sr.

120: Andy Cable, Pigeon Forge, So.; Spencer Reep, Gibbs, Fr.; Gregory Mechpaz, Watertown, Sr.; Noah Shriner, Signal Mountain, Jr.

126: Daniel Uhorchuk, Signal Mountain, Sr.; Trevor Lewis, Hixson, Sr.; Dakota Pattee, Nolensville, Fr.; Dylan Davenport, Sycamore, Fr.

132: Logan Heckert, Sycamore, So.; Hunter Johnson, Greeneville, Sr.; Brice Barton, Whitwell, Sr.; Perrin Clark, East Ridge, Jr.

138: Hunter Mason, Greeneville, So.; Luke London, Sycamore, So.; Gaberial Pennington, Eagleville, Sr. Kale Albritton, Signal Mountain, Sr.

145: Riley Bennett, Fairview, Sr.; Josh Parton, Pigeon Forge, Jr.; John Pittman, Gibbs, Sr.; Brody McLemore, Eagleville, Fr.

152: Garrett Foreman, Pigeon Forge, Jr.; Lucas Taylor, White House Heritage, Jr.; Dalen Kimble, Sycamore, Jr.; Daniel White, Cheatham County, So.

160: Kodiak Cannedy, Greeneville, Jr.; Malachi Bennett, Fairview, So.; Carson Reep, Gibbs, Jr.; Kobie Smith, Hixson, Sr.

170: Wyatt McLemore, Eagleville, Sr.; Kaden White, Moore County, Sr.; Morgan Lowery, Greeneville, So.; Zach Sinner, Nolensville, So.

182: Noah Hill, Forrest, Sr.; Kendrick Curtis, Fairview, So.; Kevin Muschel, Signal Mountain, Sr.; Kirk Parsons, Gibbs, Sr.

195: Ethan Sutton, Pigeon Forge, Sr.; Preston Worley, Signal Mountain, Sr.; Nathan Montpool, Nolensville, Jr.; Arie Donaldson, Fairview, Jr.

220: Jonathan Morton, Elizabethton, Sr.; Caleb Wolfe, Pigeon Forge, So.; Parrish Pacetti, Hixson, Sr.; Rob Atwood, Trousdale County, Fr.

285: Mustafi Algarawi, Pigeon Forge, Sr.; Jacob Clevenger, Fairview, Jr.; Kaymon Overton, East Nashville, Jr.; Landon Moore, Hixson, Jr.

Class AAA

106: Logan Fowler, Cleveland, Fr.; Bryson Terrell, Bradley Central, So.; Russell Ford, Independence, So.; Colby Baltz, Germantown Houston, Fr.

692c5a59-d82a-4014-a514-ae84550ea61d-Cou

113: Justin Bradford, Blackman, Jr.; Bentley Ellison, Cleveland, So.; Ethan Lipsey, Bradley Central, So.; Chas Stokes, Oakland, Sr.

120: Thomas Borders, Wilson Central, Sr.; Arlo Laxton, Cleveland, Jr.; Jackson Masters, Summit, Jr.; Steven Dindl, Bartlett, Jr.

126: Trey Bates, Beech, Sr.; Charles Randall, Cleveland, Jr.; Easton Lipsey, Bradley Central, Jr.; Wemawamungu Moktani, Munford, Jr.

132: Jackson Bradford, Cleveland, Sr.; Brennan Watkins, Dobyns Bennett, Sr.; Samuel Shires, Rossview, Jr.; Riley Fort, Wilson Central, So.

138: Trae McDaniel, Cleveland, Sr.; Luke Belcher, Bradley Central, So.; Alan Fort, Wilson Central, Sr.; Ethan Hylton, David Crockett, Jr.

145: Cody Chittum, Cleveland, So.; Landon Fisher, Jefferson County, Sr.; Steven Fisak, Wilson Central, Jr.; Anthony Lynn, Bradley Central, Sr.

152: Jackson Hurst, Dobyns Bennett, Sr.; Aidan Brenot, Clarksville, So.; Robert Laxton, Cleveland, Sr.; Eli Clemmons, Lebanon, Sr.

160: Tre Morrisette, Dobyns Bennett, Sr.; Logan Fisher, Jefferson County, Sr.; Dylan Cockman, Arlington, Jr.; Justin Brown, Blackman, So.

170: Mason Smith, Beech, Sr.; Matheson Meade, Bearden, Sr.; Anthony Pyron, Mt. Juliet, Jr.; Clint Morrisette, Dobyns Bennett, Sr.

182: Tetoe Boyd, Cleveland, Jr.; Owen Zuckerman, Germantown Houston, Sr.; Wyatt Lankford, Collierville, Sr.; Zachary Duessler, Rossview, Jr.

195: Dominic Love, Green Hill, Sr.; Donovan Rich, Beech, Sr.; Thomas Stadel, Maryville, So.; Connor Milhorn, Siegel, Jr.

220: Ashton Davis, Cleveland, Jr.; Noah Todd, Wilson Central, So.; Ryver Shelton, Jefferson County, Sr.; Isaac Jordan, Arlington, Sr.

285: Joshua Cummins, Anderson County, Sr.; Jadon Langford, Walker Valley, Sr.; Austin McClure, Bradley Central, Jr.; Samuel Harness, Cookeville, Jr.

Division II

106: Kade Hartline, Baylor, Sr.; Alex Ropski, Christian Brothers, So.; Joseph Calvin, Father Ryan, Fr.; Andrew Justice, Christian Academy of Knoxville, Fr.

113: Nick Corday, Baylor, Jr.; Jay Eversole, Lakeway Christian, 8th grade; Tate Williams, Boyd Buchanan, Fr.; Bob Deitch, Notre Dame, Sr.

120: Keyveon Roller, Lakeway Christian, Jr.; Wills Bronson, Christian Brothers, So.; Judson Jarrett, Baylor, Fr.; Matt Oberlander, Father Ryan, So.

126: Jack Braman, McCallie School, Sr.; Jackson Bond, Baylor, Jr.; Calvin Eason, Father Ryan, Jr.; Luke Braman, Notre Dame, Fr.

132: Dayne Dalrymple, Christian Brothers, Sr.; Conor Payne, Boyd Buchanan, Fr.; Tim Charpenter, Lakeway Christian, Sr.; Parker Sapp, Christian Academy of Knoxville, Sr.

138: Brayden Ivy, Lakeway Christian, Jr.; Micah Tisdale, Baylor, So.; Thomas Wesnofske, Father Ryan, Sr.; Hart Gowen, Memphis University School, Sr.

145: Garrison Dendy, Baylor, Jr.; Ben Stigamier, Father Ryan, Jr.; Sam Lee, Christian Brothers, Sr.; Nick Krauss, Knoxville Grace, Jr.

152: Emory Taylor, McCallie, Sr.; Evan Anthony, Christian Brothers, Sr.; Ian McGehee, Memphis University School, So.; Logan Spell, Brentwood Academy, Sr.

160: Aidan Bowers, Christian Brothers, Jr.; Gavin Cagle, McCallie, Sr.; Christian Howard, Memphis University School, Sr.; Anthony Mannella, Baylor, So.

170: James Whitworth, McCallie School, Sr.; Jack Revere, Battle Ground Academy, Sr.; Omaury Alvarez, Baylor, So.; Foster Salvaggio, Christian Brothers, Sr.

182: Gunner Garriques, Baylor, Jr.; Gervacio Gonzalez, Christian Brothers, Jr.; Torrance Bostick, Memphis University School, Sr.; Thatcher Frankfather, Franklin Road Academy, Jr.

195: David Harper, Baylor, Jr.; Theo Sewell, Christian Brothers, Sr.; Luke Estes, Lakeway Christian, Sr.; Ethan Fogle, Christian Academy of Knoxville, Sr.

220: Gabe Fisher, Montgomery Bell Academy, So.; Brik Boruff, Webb School-Knoxville, Sr.; Connor Billingsley, Christian Brothers, Sr.; Carson Gentle, McCallie, Fr.

285: Parker Peterson, Father Ryan, Sr.; Lauren McDonald, McCallie, Sr.; Max Fisher, Montgomery Bell Academy, So.; Dion Stutts, Memphis University School, Fr.

logo-compact.svg

TSSAA Division II high school wrestling state championships 2021 in pictures

33 PHOTOS
6:46 p.m. MST Feb. 25, 2021

Father Ryan's Parker Petersen, top, pins McCallie's Lauren McDonald to win their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 285-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.
 Emai
 SM
 Twitter

FaceboFather Ryan's Parker Petersen, top, pins McCallie's Lauren McDonald to win their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 285-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.
DOUG STRICKLAND/FOR THE TENNESSEAN
Fans cheer during TSSAA state wrestling tournament championships at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.
 Email 
 SM
 Twit

FacebooFans cheer during TSSAA state wrestling tournament championships at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

BGA's Jack Revere, left, wretles McCallie's James Whitworth during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 170-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Emai SM
 TFacBGA's Jack Revere, left, wretles McCallie's James Whitworth during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 170-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.
BGA's Jack Revere bleeds during his TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 170-lb championship bout against McCallie's James Whitworth at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Emai
 SMS 
FBGA's Jack Revere bleeds during his TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 170-lb championship bout against McCallie's James Whitworth at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.
Christian Brothers's Aidan Bowers, right, wrestles McCallie's Gavin Cagle in their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 160-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Emai Tw
 FacebooChristian Brothers's Aidan Bowers, right, wrestles McCallie's Gavin Cagle in their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 160-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

BGA's Jack Revere, top, wretles McCallie's James Whitworth during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 170-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Evan Anthony, right, wrestles McCallie's Emory Taylor during their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 152-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Father Ryan's Ben Stigamier wrestles Baylor's Garrison Dendy during their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 145-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Gervacio Gonzalez, front, wrestles Baylor's Gunnar Garriques during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 182-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Evan Anthony, left, wrestles McCallie's Emory Taylor during their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 152-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Evan Anthony, right, wrestles McCallie's Emory Taylor during their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 152-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Father Ryan's Parker Petersen celebrates his victory over McCallie's Lauren McDonald in their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 285-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Lakeway Christian's Brayden Ivy, left, wrestles Baylor's Micah Tisdale in their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 138-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Father Ryan's Parker Petersen, left, celebrates his victory over McCallie's Lauren McDonald in their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 285-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

BGA's Jack Revere, top, wretles McCallie's James Whitworth during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 170-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Father Ryan's Ben Stigamier, right, wrestles Baylor's Garrison Dendy during their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 145-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Lakeway Christian's Brayden Ivy, left, wrestles Baylor's Micah Tisdale in their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 138-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Father Ryan's Ben Stigamier, left, wrestles Baylor's Garrison Dendy during their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 145-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

BGA's Jack Revere, left, wretles McCallie's James Whitworth during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 170-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Father Ryan's Parker Petersen, top, wrestles McCallie's Lauren McDonald in their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 285-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Father Ryan's Parker Petersen, top, wrestles McCallie's Lauren McDonald in their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 285-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Willis Bronson, left, wrestles Lakeway Christian's Keyveon Roller during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 120-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Lakeway Christian's Jay Eversole, bottom, wrestles Baylor's Nick Corday during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 113-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Lakeway Christian's Jay Eversole, left, wrestles Baylor's Nick Corday during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 113-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Willis Bronson, left, wrestles Lakeway Christian's Keyveon Roller during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 120-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Alex Ropski, left, wrestles Baylor's Kade Hartline during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 106-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Alex Ropski, left, wrestles Baylor's Kade Hartline during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 106-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Gervacio Gonzalez, top, wrestles Baylor's Gunnar Garriques during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 182-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Christian Brothers's Gervacio Gonzalez, left, wrestles Baylor's Gunnar Garriques during their TSSAA Division-II state wrestling tournament 182-lb championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

An official signals during a bout between BGA's Jack Revere and McCallie's James Whitworth during the TSSAA state wrestling tournament championships at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

McCallie's James Whitworth lifts BGA's Jack Revere during their TSSAA Division II state wrestling tournament 170-pound championship bout at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021, in Chattanooga, Tenn.

The state's high school sports governing body informed its member schools that masks and social distancing are no longer a requirement at sporting events. The measure do, however, remain a recommendation.

The decision was made after consulting with the governor's office.

"We are not seeing people at outdoor venues wearing (masks) anyway," TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress told the Tennessean. "We do see them sitting away from each other."

Masks had been mandated at all sports venues since the school year began and the TSSAA does continue to recommend that capacities be limited to a number that will allow for social distancing.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2021/apr/21/tssaadjusts-covid-protocols-fans/545554/

Edited by Sommers