Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Some of you may remember...

Legendary Coach McMahan Changed Lives During His 47 Years At Baylor

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - by Paul Payne
Coach Bill McMahan responds to ovation last week as he honored at his final track meet for Baylor’s middle school
Coach Bill McMahan responds to ovation last week as he honored at his final track meet for Baylor’s middle school
- photo by Contributed Photo

It’s the only career path Bill McMahan ever envisioned for himself. The moment he graduated from Baylor School in 1967, it became his dream to discover an avenue to return to the place that gave him a sense of purpose.

It’s also telling that the setting where McMahan experienced some of the hardest challenges of his early years is the same place he enjoyed his greatest accomplishments. That dream hatched half a century ago comes to a close next month as McMahan will retire after a 47-year career at Baylor.

“I really didn’t plan to be here that long,” McMahan said. “One of the reasons I’ve lasted this long is the relationship with the kids. I wasn’t trying to see how long I could stay, but I’d remain as long as I felt I was making a positive contribution. If I lost the desire to do the best I could each day, I’d know it was time to leave. It’s time to go now.”

McMahan won nine state championships during his 28 years leading the boys and girls track and field programs before stepping down three years ago, continuing to coach the middle school team until his final competition last week. He also served on the Baylor varsity football staff for 31 seasons, and had stints coaching wrestling and basketball since his return in 1974.

The fact he made it back to his alma mater at all still amazes McMahan. He was in his third year as a physical education teacher and coach at Tyner Junior High when he inquired about getting hired at Baylor.

“In the spring of ’74 I talked to (Baylor administrator) Ray Deering,” McMahan said. “There wasn’t a P.E. program and he told me if I was serious about coming to Baylor, I needed to go back and get some hours in a subject matter and call us later. When I drove out of the old Baylor gate, I decided I wasn’t going back to school. So I resigned myself to the fact that wasn’t going to happen for me to come back.”

But a few months later, Deering reached out to McMahan late one evening just weeks before the new school year to see if he was still interested.

“I told him I hadn’t been back to get any graduate hours, but he said something had come up and he wanted me to meet him and Dr. (Herbert) Barks the next morning,” McMahan said.

What unfolded not only stunned McMahan, but forever impacted the lives of countless students and fellow faculty members for years to come.

“I can remember the conversation like it was yesterday,” McMahan said. “I had never met Dr. Barks, and I walked into his office and he didn’t ask me anything or interview me. He told me ‘You’re going to teach four classes of eighth grade civics. You’ll coach ninth grade football and they haven’t lost a game in seventh or eighth grade, and Coach Red Etter will give you your other coaching responsibilities. Do you have any questions?’ 

“I didn’t know what to say. I about fell out of the chair. That’s how I got hired, just like that. Something came up overnight with a coach that decided to go back to his hometown, so they must have been desperate to call me.”

While he was grateful for the chance to return to Baylor, McMahan quickly discovered that he was outmatched by the eighth graders he was tasked to instruct.

“Listen, I made a ‘D’ in political science at UT,” McMahan said. “In the first class I ever taught in the bottom of Trustee Hall, I’ve got Mark Goldstein who wound up going to Harvard, Frank Hirsch who was a Morehead Scholar at UNC, French Wall who went to Harvard, Bo Watson who is a state senator and Monte Bruell who went to Harvard. I’m sitting there with guys who were so much smarter than I was that when they left the class I knew I was in deep trouble.”

But McMahan rose to the challenge with the same determination he expected of his athletes.

“The very next morning I stopped at the Waffle House for breakfast and bought a paper, threw away everything but the front section, and read it. I did that every morning for a long time. I subscribed to Time and Newsweek and, to be honest, I learned with them,” McMahan said.

McMahan also has vivid memories of a harrowing trip to Atlanta riding with the legendary coach E.B. “Red” Etter that initial year.  Etter was implementing the wishbone offense and wanted McMahan and his fellow coaches to attend a clinic to learn the intricacies of the new system.

“He drove the whole way in second gear,” McMahan said. “It was raining and Coach Etter was drawing plays on the windshield while he was driving. I thought to myself, ‘I’m going to die right here.’”

McMahan’s coaching style in the early years was modeled after the no-nonsense approach of his coaches back when Baylor was a military school. While the military presence had been dropped three years earlier, there was still a high expectation among the all-male student body.

“I wasn’t real bright and had to work my butt off to succeed at Baylor,” McMahan said. “I went here three years and probably 300 Saturday schools just to make it through. So I expected the same effort out of my students. I was young and didn’t know any better and was consumed with winning. I still don’t like to lose, even when I’m playing kickball with my granddaughter. But the older I got, I got a little wiser. It’s all about the relationship with the kids. When I started out, I didn’t think that would matter. I just thought about wins and losses.”

As time progressed, McMahan never wavered on his belief that there were no shortcuts to achievement. But he began to recognize it was the lessons learned and the friendships cultivated each step along the path that mattered most. He began to measure success not by outcomes, but rather with an old-school expectation that perseverance served as the true barometer of character.

“I wanted the kids to learn what a good worth ethic was all about,” McMahan said. “In the end, you’re going to face much tougher things in life than a race or a ballgame. You’re going to have trials in your life that, by going through these workouts and reaching down and making yourself do something when you didn’t think you could, maybe it will help them cope with real life issues like cancer or a divorce. People who have had to push themselves appreciate adversity more than those who’ve had everything given to them.”

The influence of McMahan, who is a member of the Baylor Sports Hall of Fame and the Greater Chattanooga Sports Hall of Game, goes well beyond the athletes he coached. He served as a mentor to many of his fellow coaches, including long-time girls head cross country and track assistant Heather Ott.

“I met Coach McMahan while a young teacher and coach at the start of my 35 years here.  He’s provided an example of what it looks like to educate and mentor young people,” Ott said. “He lives with absolute honesty, generosity and integrity and expects that of the kids.

“He shows up in the lives of these kids while they are at Baylor and in the decades beyond. And he does the same in the lives of colleagues. Many Baylor teachers and coaches love Baylor, but none more than Bill McMahan. I cannot imagine this place without him.”

Long-time former Baylor basketball coach and athletic director Austin Clark has had a special relationship with McMahan over their four decades together. It was Clark who first offered McMahan the chance to oversee Baylor’s track program.

“He is who he is because of what Baylor did for him as a student. He worked hard for everything he ever had,” Clark said. “He is the true example of a coach. He’s coached nearly every sport, and he’s done it with excellence. He has a way of making people believe in themselves so that they become better people. His message was never about winning.  It’s always been about doing their best. He just looks for the best in people.

“I love him like a brother because we’ve experienced life together for so many years. It’s like he’s Gus and I’m Woodrow from the ‘Lonesome Dove’ series. It’s all about loyalty.”

But McMahan has come to truly understand that loyalty can be a two-way street. He’s had a front-row seat to witness that attribute through the support of his family. His wife, Debbie, has steadfastly supported McMahan throughout their 43 years of marriage, and his daughter, Allison LaPorta, and son, Knox, are among his greatest fans.

“I always knew my father supported me and loved me, but it was how he treated others that truly impacted me,” Knox McMahan said. “I saw how he invested into others, and how many former students he touched in a positive way. No matter what award or championships he won, it was never about him. He hates the limelight. It’s always about the team, not individuals. I couldn’t be prouder to have him as my father.”

LaPorta had the opportunity to compete in track under her father’s coaching. She and her husband, Nick, have two children who are now benefiting from their “Pap’s” wisdom.

“I was so proud to run for my dad. If he was involved in something, I wanted to be there,” LaPorta said. “He yelled at me and my friends because we knew he expected more from us.  When he raised his voice in the heat of the moment, it didn’t mean he was mad. It was always about us reaching our potential.

“I’m still the biggest daddy’s girl.  My role has always been his No. 1 fan, and that’s never changed. We have become more alike as we’ve gotten older. I wish my kids knew what a treasure they have in their grandfather. Since I now have children of my own, it’s a humbling experience to recognize the sacrifices my mother made. She was the true hero, and she never missed a beat with me and my brother.”

McMahan has become more appreciative of the role his family played while chasing his dream, the long hours away from home while investing into the lives of others’ children.

“Unless you’ve been married to a coach, you never realize the sacrifices made by the family,” McMahan said. “I’ve learned to love my family more because they always stayed in the shadows to allow me to pursue something I loved. Debbie is the unsung hero of my career and I’m so thankful for the support of my family.”

McMahan is just as competitive as ever, but he now has the advantage of years of wisdom in understanding his role. He’s just trying to honor those men who invested in his life during his years as a Baylor student and hoping to do the same for others.

“There are people that influenced me – Jim Hitt, Jim Worthington, Coach (Luke) Worsham - that made me want to come back to Baylor,” McMahan said. “These were people who weren’t going to let me fail. What they did was go the extra mile to try to make me better. They didn’t know how it would turn out, but they never let me quit.

McMahan’s legacy lives on in the lives of those he coached, and he cherishes the ongoing relationship enjoyed through periodic visits and connection via social media.

“What I’ve always tried to do is to push kids, to make them do things they didn’t think they could do,” McMahan said. “When you see somebody married now with a family, they’re not going to remember how high they jumped in the high jump or how many yards they ran for in a football game.  They’re going to remember the journey – going through practice, making it when you didn’t think you could. That’s the part that means the most to me.  People forget the accomplishments, but they’re never going to forget about being a friend.”

Chattanoogan

Paul Payne can be reached by email at paulpayne6249@gmail.com or via Twitter @Paul_A_Payne

Ga/Collins Hill/Millhoff update...

BOYS WRESTLER OF THE YEAR: Collins Hill's Clint Gilbert

By David Friedlander Staff 

As a member of Collins Hill’s football and wrestling teams, it is quite common for Clint Gilbert to get a bit of a late start to the season in the latter each year because of overlaps with the season of the former.

But the 2020-21 wrestling season saw a far longer delay in the transition between the two seasons for the for the senior thanks to a back injury sustained while on the gridiron late in the Eagles’ Class AAAAAAA state runner-up season.

The recovery time limited Gilbert to just 13 total matches this past season, though the 2021 Daily Post Wrestler of the Year admits that the toughest part of his comeback trail this season was more the mental side than the physical.

“It was very difficult,” Gilbert said. “I’d lost a lot of my knowledge because it just felt weird not being in the (wrestling) room that long. It was actually five weeks. It really makes a difference.”

Gilbert made the most of his recovery — both mental and physical — however, winning all 13 of his matches, 11 of which came by pinfall, plus another by technical fall and another by major decision.

And his strong run came at the right time, with another region championship and his third Class AAAAAAA state title in his four high school seasons with an 8-4 decision over Camden County’s Anthony Doyle in the finals at the GHSA State Traditional meet Feb. 6 at the Macon Centreplex.

Gilbert’s ability to adjust on the fly came as little surprise to Collins Hill’s first-year coach Ryan Millhof.

Even so, Millhof, a 2014 Collins Hill grad and former Eagles mat standout himself, wasn’t going to leave anything to chance, and took a hands-on approach to helping Gilbert realize his full potential in his senior season.

“Clint’s a tough kid,” said Millhof – like Gilbert, a three-time state champion and four-time state finalist. “He’s an extremely tough kid. He’s got a good head on his shoulders, and the thing that separates Clint is that he knows what it takes to be a champ. So with two weeks left going into state, he was able to hop back in and I told him, ‘You’re wrestling me every day (in practice),’ and we got after it. He put in the extra time he needed to.

“The main conversation was, ‘Don’t focus on what you didn’t have (this season). Focus on what you do have. You didn’t get the whole season, but hey, you’ve got a whole month to wrap up your high school career and go out with a bang.’”

As competitive as Gilbert is, he didn’t really need much from a motivational standpoint to give his best effort.

However, he was also smart enough to realize that when someone with the credentials of Millhof, who went on to a Division I All-American career at Oklahoma and Arizona State that included qualifying for the NCAA Tournament three different times, talks, it’s wise to listen.

“Two weeks before state, I wrestled him in practice every day live and drilling,” Gilbert recalled. “He taught me a lot of things. … I thought I’d learned it all, but he has a lot of (knowledge).

“Just seeing him wrestle through all the different positions (was important). There’s not one thing during a match that you can’t get out of or that you can’t go to after this happens or after that happens. Just keep wrestling throughout the match.”

Just as Millhof hoped, Gilbert took his challenge to heart and ended with a bang a high school career as decorated as that of his mentor, with a final career record of 136-21 and state titles at 106 pounds his freshman season in 2018 and 138 the past two seasons, plus a state runner-up finish at 126 as a junior in 2019.

From Gilbert’s perspective, it was very much worth everything he had to endure, not all of which involved what happened on the mat.

“(One) thing I’m proud of myself for is that I’ve had a different (head) coach (almost every) year — (three out of) four years,” Gilbert said. “So really, I was kind of on my own. Not the whole year because the coaches teach and stuff, but it’s just different when you’ve got (three) different people for four different years.”

Having to process a different voice in the wrestling room almost every year wasn’t the only sacrifice Gilbert had to make during his wrestling career at Collins Hill.

But as he prepares to graduate and head off to Georgia Military College to study and play football, a sport in which he also excelled as a receiver for the Eagles for four years, there is one sacrifice he is most looking forward to not having to make anymore.

“What am I most proud of? Cutting weight,” said Gilbert, who wrestled down a weight class because of his back injury, and hopes to add to the 150 pounds he carried last football season. “There’s a lot that goes into it, and I love to eat. So cutting weight is really hard, and I’ve been doing it for about 12 years. Once you wrestle after cutting weight, you want to eat.”

Edited by Sommers

Six McCallie Student-Athletes Sign To Play At The Collegiate Level

Wednesday, April 28, 2021
Six McCallie student-athletes signed their National Letters of Intent Wednesday morning at a ceremony held on he main floor of the Student Activity Center, They are, seated left to right, Trey Hamilton, Jose Osa, Gavin Cagle, Jack Braman, Alex Whitworth, Emory Taylor.
Six McCallie student-athletes signed their National Letters of Intent Wednesday morning at a ceremony held on he main floor of the Student Activity Center, They are, seated left to right, Trey Hamilton, Jose Osa, Gavin Cagle, Jack Braman, Alex Whitworth, Emory Taylor.
- photo by Contributed

Six McCallie student-athletes signed or committed to continue their academics and athletics at the colleges and universities of their choice in an on-campus ceremony April 28.

Four wrestlers, one basketball player, and one football player were highlighted at the event in front of teammates, classmates, coaches, friends and family members.

The wrestling quartet combined for 13 wrestling state championships between them.

Jack Braman, a two-time champion, has received an appointment from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Gavin Cagle, also a two-time champion, will enroll at the University of Virginia in the fall.

Four-time state champion Emory Taylor will continue his career and education at the University of Pittsburgh, and five-time champion Alex Whitworth will matriculate to Harvard University. Whitworth is one of only three five-time champions ever in Tennessee wrestling history.

Trey Hamilton is headed to the University of Alabama-Huntsville and will play for former McCallie and Chattanooga head coach John Shulman. Jose Osa, a receiver and member of the Blue Tornado’s 2019 and 2020 football state championship squads, is headed to Sewanee: University of the South.

Overall, 20 student-athletes from McCallie's Class of 2021 will continue to play their respective sports at the collegiate level. Since 2017, 127 McCallie graduates have gone on to compete at the next level.

Dobyns-Bennett’s Brennan Watkins signs with Campbell University wrestling

by: Kenny Hawkins

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 / 09:50 PM EDT / Updated: Apr 28, 2021 / 10:54 PM EDT

Kingsport, TN — And the last D-one to sign from Dobyns-Bennett was Brennan Watkins who will take his talents to Campbell University.

On the mat, during his career, Watkins has 164 wins and advanced to the state tournament 3 times, where he was runner up twice.

Watkins, who won 40 or more matches each season is looking forward to becoming a Campbell Camel

Brenan Watkins “It’s weird to think about because you always think of being a D-one athlete as a kid not you actually get the chance it’s weird I don’t know, I’m just trying to make a name for myself you know Tennessee is not a big wrestling state so we don’t get a lot of exposure that’s just kind of what I’m trying to do.”

For video interview...

HURST PICKS CHATTANOOGA

Jackson Hurst, another decorated wrestler, signed on with Chattanooga.

Hurst tallied 156 wins in his career and was a two-time state champion. His junior year was arguably his best, racking up over 50 victories and his first of two regional titles.

“As a coach, one of the things that I appreciate about Jackson is that on and off the mat, he’s very intelligent,” Idlette said. “He’s one of the most methodical wrestlers we have on our team.

“His leadership skills over the last two years have been tremendous.”

ADDITIONAL SIGNINGS

Brothers Clint and Tre Morrisette will look to add to their lengthy wrestling careers at Life University, which is coming off of a NAIA national championship in the winter.

The efforts of individuals involved in wrestling have been even more remarkable. A sport that many figured would be grounded during the pandemic, 37 states have been able to start regular-season wrestling, with only four states having to cancel the entire season (Connecticut, Maine, Nevada and Vermont). Five additional states – New Mexico, Illinois, North Carolina, Washington and Oregon – are due to start competition in April and May.

While some states have been able to start and finish wrestling on time this year, other states have had to employ more creative measures to offer the sport. In New Jersey, where the start of the season was delayed until March 16, several schools have conducted dual meets outdoors in an attempt to provide a safer environment....

Fall, Winter, Spring Sports Being Held Simultaneously Across Country

Wednesday, April 28, 2021 - by Dr. Karissa Niehoff, NFHS Executive Director
Dr. Karissa Niehoff
Dr. Karissa Niehoff

At the end of March 2020, high school sports and performing arts were grounded – victims of a novel coronavirus that was wreaking havoc throughout the world.

NFHS member state high school associations were in the concluding stages of winter sports championships when the pandemic struck last spring. Although 17 states were able to complete basketball championships, student-athletes in 34 states were not able to experience the “madness” of March. 

And approximately three million participants in spring sports and performing arts were unable to be involved in their favorite activities.

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2021/4/28/427395/Fall-Winter-Spring-Sports-Being-Held.aspx

Edited by Sommers

Alert

Skip To Main Content

UTC Logo

CHATTANOOGA MOCS

Ethan Reeve

Ben Dodds

Retirement Congrats to Coach Reeve

4/30/2021 2:31:00 PM

Story Links

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Director of Athletic Performance Ethan Reeve announced his retirement following 44 years in college athletics.  Reeve served as the Mocs' wrestling coach from 1985-90 and recently returned to UTC as the Director of Strength & Conditioning. 

"I love UTC and I really enjoyed both stints at this University," stated Reeve.  "I think this is a good time to move on to the next chapter outside of college athletics and I have a great opportunity that I am excited about."

While Reeve is retiring from college athletics, he is not hanging it up all together.  He has accepted a position as the Director of Strength & Athletic Performance at Mondo USA.  Mondo is a world-wide leader in sports flooring with products ranging from track & field to strength & conditioning platforms. 

A past president of the Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa), Coach Reeve will serve as a consultant and mentor for programs across the country in his new role. 

"We want to congratulate Coach Reeve on a tremendous career," stated UTC Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Mark Wharton. "He has a great opportunity with Mondo USA and we wish him well.  He will always be a Moc."

Mocs fans mainly remember Reeve as the head coach of the UTC wrestling program from 1985-90, guiding Chattanooga to five Southern Conference titles in six years.  In addition, he posted a 57-38-2 (.598) record, leaving with the third most wins in school history.

He returned to UTC in August 2017 as the Coordinator of Student-Athlete Development and volunteer wrestling coach.  He was named the Mocs Director of Strength & Conditioning in 2019. 

Prior to his return to Chattanooga, Reeve spent 16 seasons at Wake Forest, guiding the Demon Deacons' Strength and Athletic Development program.  Before his stint at Wake Forest, he spent six years at Ohio University as the Bobcats' Director of Strength & Conditioning.

Reeve is a Master Strength Coach through the CSCCa.  He is also certified through USA Weightlifting and the Russian Kettlebell Challenge.

RPreviousNextPause

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga LogoNCAA LogoSouthern Conference Logo

National Prep Championship Preview

A complete breakdown of the 2021 National Prep Championship wrestling tournament.

May 1, 2021 by Patrick Hitschler

160 Pounds

Top Contenders

Cesar Alvin, Northfield Mount Hermon

Aiden Bowers, Christian Brothers (TN)

Gavin Cagle, McCallie

Owen Quinn, Malvern

Colby Isabelle, Hill School

Alvin is probably unknown to most people outside of New England, but he is a high-level wrestler.  As a Columbia commit, he won a public school New England title back in 2019 before an injury took him out of the 2020 postseason.  Bowers and Cagle are both returning placers at National Preps, and Bowers took an overtime win over Cagle in the Tennessee State Championships last month.  Owen Quinn placed fourth at Escape the Rock this year, and Isabelle lost 12-11 last week in the finals of Sophomore Nationals.  This is a weight that could definitely have some upsets in the later rounds.  

220 Pounds

Top Contenders

#1 Nick Feldman, Malvern Prep

Jeff Miller, Wyoming Seminary

Gabe Fisher, Montgomery Bell (TN)

Nick Feldman would need to pull a J’den Cox and miss weigh-ins for anyone else to win this weight class.  The #1 ranked wrestler in the country and Ohio State commit has a knack for getting techfalls via only takedowns and has not lost a high school match in about a year and a half.  Miller was round of 12 at 195 last year, and Gabe Fisher is a Tennessee Prep School state champion.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7013404-national-prep-championship-preview

Add...

132 Pounds

Top Contenders

Gregor McNeil, Wyoming Seminary

Christian Coleman, Germantown Academy

Jimmy Harrington, Belmont Hill

Skylar Smith, Liberty Christian (TX)

Nick Kunstek, Blair Academy

Dayne Dalrymple, Christian Brothers (TN)

Colman just placed third at Senior Nationals and finished third at this weight class last season; however, McNeil does have the head-to-head victory over Colman just a couple weeks ago.  Harrington, who was fifth at 126 last year, has been in and out of the rankings this season, and is coming off of a fifth place showing at Junior Nationals last weekend.  Smith placed sixth at this weight class last year out of Texas and Dalrymple is committed to UTC and has been competitive with everyone he has seen in the past couple months.  Kunstek was one of the big names coming out of the middle school rankings last year, but has not had any huge wins in his high school career….yet.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7013404-national-prep-championship-preview

Search

Connecticut Wrestling Online

Connecticut Wrestling Online

CWO-House-Ad-Yellow-Mixed.jpg

HIGH SCHOOL

Provo, Rossetti capture Prep School national championships

Nationals-IMG_9161.jpg

Greens Farms Academy’s Nico Provo, left, and Loomis Chaffee’s Dom Rossetti, center won national titles at the Prep School Nationals Monday in Pennsylvania. GFA assistant coach Jon Valles is on the left. Rossetti also trains at South Side Wrestling Club that is run by GFA coach Jack Conroy. (Photo courtesy Jack Conroy)

Stratford’s Nico Provo won his second national tournament in less than two weeks by capturing the 2021 National Prep School Open tournament in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., on Monday.

Representing Greens Farms Academy in Westport, Provo beat Brennen Cernus of Wyoming Seminary in the championship match at 120 pounds, 8-2, to win his first prep school national title. Provo won the National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) Senior Nationals two weeks ago in Virginia Beach.

Provo was one of eight wrestlers from Greens Farms Academy to earn All-American honors by finishing in the top eight of their respective weight classes.

Glastonbury’s Dominic Rossetti, a senior from Loomis Chaffee in Windsor, won his first national Prep School title with his 3-0 win over Lorenzo Norman of Blair Academy in the championship bout at 152 pounds.

Greens Farms Justin Mastroianni of New Canaan was seconds away from a victory in the championship match but Danny Wask of Blair Academy got a takedown as time expired to earn a 2-1 victory in the final at 145 pounds.

Greens Farms freshman Nate Taylor (160) of Newtown finished third at 160 pounds while Brunswick’s Chris Perry became a four-time Prep School All-American by finishing third at 138 pounds.

Provo, who is going to Cornell in the fall, went 5-0 with three pins and a technical fall to earn Prep School All-American honors for the third time. He gave up just one takedown and a pair of escapes in his first four bouts including a 38 second pin of Wyoming Seminary’s Kai Owen in the semifinals.

Cernus was a defending national champion at 113 pounds. He was tied 2-2 with Provo after getting a one-point escape with 1:53 left in the match. But Provo got a takedown with 57 seconds remaining and a four-point near fall with 18 seconds left to clinch the championship.

Provo is the first Greens Farms wrestler to win a Prep School national title.

“It’s hard to put into words what this means,” Provo said. “National Preps, for us, our season leads up to this moment. It is THE tournament and to finally win it, it’s about time. It means a lot to me and it means a lot to GFA and the program.”

“He is a special kid. He has a special work ethic and he is super motivated,” Green Farms Academy coach Jack Conroy said. “I am proud of his ability to go out there and let it rip.”

Rossetti had two pins to earn a spot in the semifinals where he beat Braden Baller of Liberty Christian, 10-0. In the championship match, Rossetti took a 1-0 lead thanks to an escape early in the third period and he clinched the victory with a takedown with 22 seconds left in regulation.

It’s the first Prep School national title for Rossetti and for Loomis-Chaffee, which had five wrestlers reach the final. The most recent was Sean Boyle, who was second at 103 pounds in 2003. Rossetti will be attending Columbia University in the fall.

“He is just great at controlling the match,” Conroy said. For the last few months, Rossetti has been working out with the GFA team at South Side Wrestling Club in Bridgeport, which is run by Conroy. “We’re very impressed on how he has grown and developed.”

Mastroianni wasn’t challenged on his way to the finals at 145 pounds with three pins and a 15-0 technical fall victory in the semifinals.

Mastroianni had a 1-0 lead thanks to an escape with 1:52 left in the third period. Welk got in deep with two takedown attempts in the final minute but couldn’t finish. After a second stalemate call with 11 seconds remaining, Welk tried for another takedown. Using a wizard with four seconds left, he got Mastroianni on his knees and was able to get the match-winning takedown as time expired although the Greens Farms bench protested to no avail.

It was his second runner-up trophy in less than two weeks. Mastroianni finished second at the NHSCA Senior Nationals.

Perry (138) won six bouts to become the first Bruin to earn All-American honors four times with his third place finish. Perry won his first matches by pin and beat Dominic Federici, 8-2 in the quarterfinals.

After a loss to Hill School’s Kelvin Griffin in the semifinals, Perry got a reversal with 57 seconds left in the third period to beat Clayton Gabrielson in the consolation semifinals. In the consolation final, Perry built up a five-point lead to beat J.T. Chase of Western Reserve Academy, 5-2.

Taylor rebounded from a two-point loss in the quarterfinals with four straight wins in the consolation round to finish third with a 4-2 win over Aldan Bowers of Christian Brothers in Tennessee. Trailing by one, Taylor escaped with 1:57 left in the third period and got a takedown with 1:47 remaining to take control of the bout.

Taylor, who won a national title at the NHSCA Freshman Nationals in Virginia Beach, advanced to the consolation final with a 4-2 win in overtime over Colby Isabelle.

Greens Farms Aiden Hebert of Westport (132) and Peter Kane of Fairfield (145) each finished fourth. Kane went 5-2 with two pins while Hebert went 4-2 with two pins.

Greens Farms wrestlers Michael Bartush of Norwalk (195) was fifth while Caleb Seyfried (126) of Westport was seventh and C.J. Shea of Milford (132) was eighth.

“It’s hard to imagine four years ago we only had one All-American in the history of the (Greens Farms) program and today we have eight in this tournament,” Provo said. “This was the last hurrah.”

A year ago, the Dragons had two All-American wrestlers. This year, they had eight. No team scores were kept at the tournament but Greens Farms would have been a contender.

“This was a culmination of a lot of work in the past year,” Conroy said. “We have established a winning tradition and we don’t plan to let up.”

West Hartford’s Brian Nanmoun (220) from Avon Old Farms finished sixth while Brunswick School senior Nick Bell (160) earned All-American honors by finishing eighth.

The 2021 National Prep School national championships were held May 2-3 at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Parke with competition in 14 weight classes. Wrestlers were required to be attending their respective prep school during the 2020-21 school year.

Masks were required to be worn at all times by athletes, coaches and spectators although athletes were not required to wrestle in masks on the mat.

2021 National Prep School Open
At Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Championship
106 Jack Consiglio , PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Carter Nogle Laurel, dec. (Maryland), 6-1
113 Kade Davidheiser Barto, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Sulayman Bah Saltsburg, PA (Pennsylvania), 9-4
120 Nico Provo Stratford, CT (Greens Farms Academy) dec. Brennen Cernus Kingston, PA (Wyoming Seminary), 8-2
126 Spencer Barnhart West Grove, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Daniel Sheen St Charles, IL (Pennsylvania), 8-6
132 Jimmy Harrington Tyngsborough, MA (New England) dec. Gregor McNeil Greece, NY (Pennsylvania), 4-3
138 Shayne Van ness Somerville, NJ (NJ/NY) dec. Kelvin Griffin Berwick, ME (Pennsylvania), 9-0
145 Danny Wask Sussex, NJ (Blair Academy) dec. Justin Mastroianni New Canaan, CT (Greens Farms Academy), 2-1
152 Dominic Rossetti Windsor, CT (Loomis Chaffee) dec. Lorenzo Norman Bound Brook, NJ (Blair Academy), 3-0
160 Cesar Alvan Ludlow, MA (Northfield Mt. Hermon) dec. Gavin Cagle Chattanooga, TN (Tennessee), 6-4
170 Gabe Arnold Kingston, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Alex Whitworth Chattanooga, TN (Tennessee), 5-1
182 Jack Wehmeyer Sellersville, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Tj Stewart Triangle, VA (NJ/NY), 4-2 SV
195 Caden Rogers , PA (Pennsylvania) dec. David Harper Chattanooga, TN (Tennessee), 3-1
220 Nicholas Feldman Malvern, PA (Pennsylvania) pin Gabe Fisher Nashville, TN (Tennessee), 4:35
285 Coltin Deery Malvern, PA (Pennsylvania) DEF Jake Kaminski Riverside, IL (Pennsylvania), 3-1 7:30

3RD PLACE
106 Emmitt Sherlock Linthicum Heights, dec. (Maryland) dec. Hunter Sloan Doylestown, PA (Pennsylvania), 3-2, 3 OT
113 Brycen Arbogast Charlotte Court House, VA (Virginia) dec. Tommy Link Upper Darby, PA (Pennsylvania), 4-2, OT
120 Kai Owen Tampa, FL (Pennsylvania) dec. Nikolaus Oneill Philadelphia, PA (Pennsylvania), 2-1
126S am Cartella Hudson, OH (Pennsylvania) dec. Joel Brown Potomac, dec. (Maryland), 2-0
132 Christian Colman Fort Washington, PA (Pennsylvania) forfeit over Aiden Hebert Westport, CT (Greens Farms Academy)
138 Chris Perry Mohegan Lake, NY (Brunswick) dec. JT Chance Hudson, OH (Western Reserve Acad), 5-2
145 Paul Ognissanti , dec. (NJ/NY) dec. Peter Kane Fairfield, CT (Greens Farms Academy), 5-0
152 Sam Beckett Pottstown, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Zane Cox Moseley, VA (Virginia), 16-3
160 Nate Taylor Newtown, CT (Greens Farms Academy) dec. Aidan Bowers Memphis, TN (Tennessee), 4-2
170 Omaury Alvarez Dalton, GA (Tennessee) forfeit over Andrew Donahue Powell, OH (Pennsylvania)
182 Cole Rees Erie, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Gunnar Garriques , TN (Tennessee), 5-1
195 Luke Duthie Fort Washington, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Andrew Connolly Malvern, PA (Pennsylvania), 8-1
220 Alex Semenenko , NY (NJ/NY) dec. Jeff Miller Pawling, NY (Pennsylvania), 3-1
285 Antonio Ramos Springfield, MA (New England) dec. Harrison Levans Fort Washington, PA (Pennsylvania), 4-2 OT

5TH PLACE
106 Bryan Santangelo Adamstown, dec. (Maryland) pin Davis Motyka Edwardsville, PA (Pennsylvania), 1:54
113 Logan Rozynski Sparta Township, NJ (Pennsylvania) dec. Pearce Phillips Charlotte, NC (North Carolina), 5-3 OT
120 Jackson Bond Lyerly, GA (Tennessee) dec. Matt Hart Hudson, OH (Pennsylvania), 4-2
126 Brenden Barnes Chester, VA (Virginia) dec. Jacob Wright Arnold, dec. (Maryland), 3-0
132 Skylar Smith Dallas, TX (Texas) dec. Dyson Dunham Haymarket, VA (Virginia), 4-2
138 Clayton Gabrielson Chesapeake Beach, dec. (Maryland) dec. Dominic Federici Edwardsville, PA (Pennsylvania), 4-2
145 Joe Fisk Severn, dec. (Maryland) dec. Reed Fullmer Wayne, PA (Pennsylvania), 5-1
152 Braeden Baller Argyle, TX (Texas) pin Nathaniel Insko Charlotte, NC (North Carolina), 2:39
160 Colby Isabelle Pottstown, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Magnus Frable Kingston, PA (Pennsylvania), 5-1
170 David Barrett Longmeadow, MA (New England) pin Bryce Phillips , dec. (Maryland), 1:40
182 James Conway , dec. (Maryland) dec. Gervacio Gonzalez Germantown, TN (Tennessee), 1-0
195 Michael Bartush Norwalk, CT (Greens Farms Academy) pin John Perdue Houston, TX (Texas), 0:31
220 Logan Cohn Henrico, VA (Virginia) pin Brian Nanmoun West Hartford, CT (Avon Old Farms), 4:10
285 Billy Brosko Broomall, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Dj Moehring Kingston, PA (Pennsylvania), 8-4

7TH PLACE
106 Sal Palmisano Hudson, OH (Pennsylvania) dec. Alex Ropski Memphis, TN (Tennessee), 13-1
113 Tyson Sherlock Linthicum Heights, dec. (Maryland) dec. T.j. Langley Hudson, OH (Pennsylvania), 2-0
120 Billy Dekraker , VA (Maryland) dec. Nasir Wilkinson Potomac, dec. (Maryland), 4-2
126 Caleb Seyfried Westport, CT (Greens Farms Academy) pin Cord Vallis Boxford, MA (New England), 2:45
132 Dayne Dalrymple Memphis, TN (Tennessee) dec. C.J. Shea Milford, CT (Greens Farms Academy), 1-0
138 Joshua Viarengo West Chester, PA (Pennsylvania) forfeit over Jaren Powell Liberty, TX (Texas)
145 Matthew Lawrence Owings Mills, dec. (Maryland) dec. Louis Colaiocco Sparta Township, NJ (NJ/NY), 3-2
152 Mason Alley , TN (Tennessee) pin Kyree Day Baltimore, dec. (Maryland), 4:21
160 Owen Quinn Blue Bell, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Nick Bell Greenwich, CT (Brunswick), 9-3
170 R.J. Moore Ambler, PA (Pennsylvania) dec. Andrew Lavayen Falls Church, VA (Virginia), 6-4
182 Brady Fincham Waynesboro, VA (Virginia) forfeit over Wolfgang Frable Kingston, PA (Pennsylvania)
195 Connor Billingsley Memphis, TN (Tennessee) pin Brooks Heard Addison, TX (Texas), 1:59
220 Asher Hodge Memphis, TN (Tennessee) tech fall Mac Levin Philadelphia, PA (Pennsylvania), 17-2 3:02
285 Liam Dietrich Pawling, NY (Trinity-Pawling) dec. Max Fisher Nashville, TN (Tennessee), 2-0

https://ctwrestling.com/2021/05/provo-rossetti-capture-prep-school-national-championships/4161/

________

WRESTLING: Clemmons signs with Cumberland

• TOMMY BRYAN tbryan@wilsonpost.com
  •  
    • May 3, 2021 Updated 22 hrs ago
    •  

Eli Solo

Lebanon High all-state wrestler Eli Clemmons signed scholarship papers Monday, May 3 with Cumberland University.  TOMMY BRYAN

TSWA All-State as senior -

Lebanon High Class of 2021 wrestler Eli Clemmons signed scholarship papers with nationally-ranked hometown Cumberland University in ceremonies Monday, May 3 at LHS.

An all-state grappler at 152 pounds for Lebanon High, Clemmons was also a two-way starter for the Blue Devil football program.

Eli is the son of Jeff and Kelley Clemmons.

Edited by Sommers

Christian Brother's Luke Condy AA coverage...

https://athletics.central.edu/news/2021/5/4/wrestling-seven-dutch-wrestlers-honored-for-academics.aspx

First US Marine to wrestle at Olympics since 1992 is ready: 'Super humbled and grateful'

Greco-Roman wrestler, 29, was stationed in Okinawa when he first enlisted

Edited by Sommers

Gavin Cagle — from McCallie...

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 

Northfield Mount Hermon School wrestler Cesar Alvan had the victory of a lifetime on Monday. 

The Ludlow native — who attended Springfield Central before doing a post-grad year with NMH this year — took home a first place finish at 160 in the National Prep Wrestling Championship at Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre Township, Pa. 

Alvan won New England’s in 2019 before a serious knee injury (torn ACL, MCL, meniscus and LCL) knocked him out of the 2020 postseason. He is committed to wrestle at Columbia next year. 

In the finals, Alvan defeated Gavin Cagle — from McCallie, Tennessee — by a 6-4 decision. That gave him 203 victories for his high school/prep career.

https://www.recorder.com/Bulletin-Board-40302057

The Bros get mentioned in Pennsylvania press...

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/story/sports/2021/05/06/escape-rock-wrestling-tournament-returning-2022/4961471001/

Edited by Sommers

Again from the Chattanoogan...

McCallie's Cagle, Whitworth Are Runners-Up At National Championships

Friday, May 7, 2021

Two McCallie School wrestlers concluded their stellar careers as national runners up at the annual National Preps high school tournament May 2-3 in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Gavin Cagle made the finals and placed second in the 160-pound class, and Alex Whitworth did the same at 170. Both were competing under the McCallie Wrestling Club name.

Cagle, a two-time state champion, defeated Aidan Bowers 3-1 in sudden victory in the semifinals to earn his finals berth.

Bowers, a Christian Brothers wrestler, edged Cagle in the State Championship finals in February. Cagle, a University of Virginia signee, lost 6-4 to Cesar Alvin of New England in the finals.

Whitworth, a five-time state champion, earned his spot in the finals with a 5-2 win over Andrew Donahue of Pennsylvania. He missed out on a national title, dropping a 5-1 match to Gabe Arnold of Pennsylvania. The future Harvard University wrestler recorded three pins en route to the semifinals.

Also competing for McCallie Wrestling Club were Jack Braman and Nicholas Ridings. Braman went 3-2 in the event, and Ridings was 1-2.

_________________GS

Oh My Golly...

check this out

2021 Walsh Jesuit Ironman Field Set

Check the absolutely loaded field that will do battle at the 2021 Walsh Jesuit Ironman.

May 7, 2021 by Kyle Bratke

thAfter a one year hiatus due to COVID-19, the Walsh Jesuit Ironman will return in a big way in 2021 with an absolutely loaded field. Over 500 of the best high school wrestlers on the best teams in the nation will be on display December 10-11 live exclusively on FloWrestling. 24 different states will be represented in this year's field.  a suh

Every school that finished in the top 10 of the 2019 edition - Wyoming Seminary (PA), Blair Academy (NJ), Malvern Prep (PA), Brecksville-Broadview Heights (OH), Montini Catholic (IL), Lake Highland Prep (FL), Notre Dame-Green Pond (PA), Elyria (OH), St. Edward (OH), and Waynesburg Central (PA) - will be in attendance again along with some interesting new faces including, Bishop McCort (PA), Bixby (OK), Cleveland (TN), Stillwater (OK), and Washington (IL), just to name a few. 

December can't get here fast enough! 

2021 Walsh Jesuit Ironman Field

School State
Ashland OH
Aurora OH
Baylor School TN
Bayport Blue Point NY
Bennington NE
Bethlehem Catholic PA
Bishop Kelly ID
Bishop McCort PA
Bixby OK
Blair Academy NJ
Brecksville-Broadview Heights OH
Broken Arrow OK
Broomfield CO
Buckeye OH
Canton SD
Caravel Academy DE
Centerville OH
Central Academy of Technology & Arts NC
Central Square NY
Christian Brothers College MO
Christiansburg VA
Cleveland TN
Copley OH
Coeur d'Alene ID
Crescent Valley OR
Crestview OH
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy OH
Dalton OH
Dublin Coffman OH
Dublin Scioto OH
Elyria OH
Fairless OH
Fauquier VA
Findlay OH
Frazier PA
Genoa OH
GlenOak OH
Gonzaga Preparatory School WA
Green OH
Highland OH
High Point Central NC
Hillcrest SC
Iona Prep NY
La Salle OH
Lake Catholic OH
Lake Gibson FL
Lake Highland Prep FL
Lake Norman NC
Lakeway Christian Academy TN
Legacy Christian Academy OH
Liberty MO
Liberty (Bealeton) VA
Louisville OH
Malvern Prep PA
Marysville OH
Massillon Perry OH
McDonogh School MD
Mesa Ridge CO
Minisink Valley NY
Monarch CO
Monroeville OH
Montini Catholic IL
Mount Carmel IL
New Kent VA
Nixa MO
Notre Dame-Green Pond PA
Olentangy Liberty OH
Orange OH
Palmetto Ridge FL
Parkersburg South WV
Perkins OH
Perrysburg OH
Point Pleasant WV
Pomona CO
Ponderosa CO
Pueblo East CO
Reynolds PA
Seckman MO
Smyrna DE
St. Edward OH
St. Francis Desales OH
St. John School OH
Graham OH
St. Vincent-St. Mary OH
State College PA
Stillwater OK
Sycamore OH
Tampa Jesuit FL
Teays Valley OH
The Hill School PA
Tiffin Columbian OH
Troy Christian OH
Wadsworth OH
Walsh Jesuit OH
Washington Community IL
Waynesburg Central PA
Waynesville OH
Western Reserve Academy OH
Westerville North OH
Wheeling Park WV
Whitmer OH
Wyoming Seminary PA
Edited by Sommers

William “Billy” Prentiss Miles

Longtime Truck Driver Loved Fishing And Riding Dirt Bikes

Friday, May 14, 2021

William “Billy” Prentiss Miles, 59, of Chattanooga, Tennessee, passed away on May 2, 2021, after a short illness. 

Billy was born in Chattanooga on May 19, 1961.  He graduated from Chattanooga High School, and was a State Wrestling Champion in 1979.  Billy was a truck driver for the majority of his career.  He was never afraid to do anything he set his mind to, and once hitchhiked cross country to see his mother in Arizona.  His favorite hobbies were fishing and riding dirt bikes, where he earned his nickname "Crash".

Billy was preceded in death by his mother, Beverley Furlow Clearly of Chattanooga, and father, William L. Miles of Lookout Mountain.

He is survived by his three children, Alex, Holly, and Adam; brothers, Chris (Helen) Miles, Gilbert (Mary) Roberts, and Gary Bickerstaff; sisters, Mary Miles and Patti Roberts; uncle, Sam E. (Roberta) Miles, Jr.; stepfather, Bill Cleary, along with numerous nieces, nephews, and friends. 

A graveside service will be held at Forest Hills Cemetery with First Centenary UMC officiating on Sunday, May 30, at 2 p.m. 

A Celebration of Life gathering will be held after the service for friends and family.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be given to the Chattanooga Rescue Mission or Chattanooga Community Kitchen.

Chattanoogan Report

Tullahoma News...

Desilets commits to keep wrestling at St. Andrews

• By Zach Birdsong Sports Editor
  •  
    • May 19, 2021 Updated 7 hrs ago
    •  
      •  

Divine Desilets

Divine Desilets recently signed her letter of intent to continue wrestling at St. Andrews University in North Carolina. Divine was a three-time state medalist for Tullahoma and was joined by her family and coaches when she signed. Front row, from left: Marie Desilets, Divine and Barbara Desilets. Back row: Tori Feuerbacher and Jenna Morris.

Zach Birdsong 

Graduation took place Friday night, and Tullahoma High School senior Divine Desilets recently announced what her next step will be, as she signed her letter of intent to continue wrestling for St. Andrew’s University in Laurinburg, North Carolina.

Desilets was a three-time state medalist for Tullahoma, including this past season, which saw her take second in the 103-pound weight class. During her time wrestling in Tullahoma, Desilets reached All-American status.

Desilets and Jane Allen, who graduated in 2019, are the only three-time state medalists for the Lady Wildcats’ program. Katy Champion is the lone four-time state medalist for the THS girls wrestling team.

“Divine has been a vital part of program,” said THS Head Coach Jenna Morris. “She’s by far one of the most dedicated girls we’ve had in our program and has led in that regard. Not only is she a good wrestler, but she learned to be a leader. She was very instrumental in our program, especially in this past year to get us through the COVID of it all.”

Divine Desilets lifts Science Hill’s Ella Rimer during the pair’s matchup in the semifinals at the TSSAA Individual State Tournament back in February. Desilets took second place in the 103-pound weight class at this year’s tournament in Chattanooga.

Zach Birdsong photo

Desilets will be joining a new women’s wrestling program at St. Andrews University. While in school, she said she plans to major in pre-law, but said she might switch to forensics.

“I’m pretty excited,” Desilets said. “They just started their girls program, and the coach up there thought it would be a good idea to recruit me, since I’m an All-American. He thought that would be a good image to display for the team.”

Her new head coach, Robert Parland, echoed those sentiments. Heading into his first year at St. Andrews, Parland really wanted to make a splash with his recruits. When he watched video of Desilets on the mat, he was impressed.

“I looked at her film and she kind of fit my philosophy as a coach,” Parland said. “She’s really adamant and really aggressive on the mat, which is something that I like as far as wrestling goes... I think she’s a really good athlete. I think her having All-American status is something that will really be big for our program in our first year.”

During her wrestling career in Tullahoma, Desilets has continually seen success, improving each season that she was a Lady Wildcat. As a sophomore, she finished fifth in the state, before taking third place as a junior in 2020 and capping off this year with a second-place effort.

At this year’s TSSAA Individual State Tournament, Desilets wasted little time in picking up a win as she opened things with a quick win by pin. After leading Sequatchie County’s Haven Curtis 3-0, Desilets notched the victory with seven seconds left in the second round.

In the semifinals, Desilets followed with a more impressive victory over Science Hill’s Ella Rimer. After two rounds, the Lady Wildcat led Rimer 10-6 and 12-2 later in the third period. Desilets then put the match away and pinned Rimer 52 seconds into the final round to advance to the final, guaranteeing her to finish inside the top two in the state.

Hogan continues putting in work during offseason

• By Zach Birdsong Sports Editor
  •  
    • May 20, 2021 Updated 6 hrs ago
    •  
      •  

Liv Hogan

Liv Hogan hoists the trophy after securing the Ironman championship at Blackman High School on April 17. It's been a busy month for the Tullahoma High School junior as she's competed in several tournaments this offseason

...Hogan also practices with the National Team that she is a part of, which generally meets at Siegel High School.

https://www.tullahomanews.com/sports/local/hogan-continues-putting-in-work-during-offseason/article_7783792a-b9a6-11eb-87c4-17f8fbe9660b.html

Christian county Kentucky news...

https://whopam.com/2021/05/20/three-christian-county-seniors-sign-collegiate-letters-wednesday/

Edited by Sommers

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team had three individuals earn Scholar All-America honors from the National Wrestling Coaches Association this week.  Juniors Drew Nicholson and Franco Valdes and freshman Weston Wichman were among the 191 individuals representing 59 institutions to be recognized by the organization for their work in the classroom. 

"It's my honor on behalf of the NWCA and our Board of Directors to recognize this outstanding list of team and individual award winners," said NWCA Executive Director Mike Moyer. "These athletes had to navigate a season full of unknowns and the fact they were able to continue to excel in the classroom is a testament to the attack mentality that wrestlers bring to every aspect of their lives."

This is just the fourth time in school history UTC has had three individuals recognized in the same season.  It is the most since Sean Boyle, Jared Johnson and John Shrader won the honors in 2014-15. 

Nicholson represented the Mocs at the NCAA Tournament after winning the Southern Conference title at 165 pounds.  He was the Most Outstanding Wrestler at the SoCon Tournament and is graduating with a degree in Engineering Management in the summer.

Valdes was an All-SoCon performer with a 9-0 dual record during the regular season.  An Academic All-SoCon selection, he is the current recipient of the Nancy Curtis Noblit Scholarship.

Wichman was the SoCon Freshman of the Year after going 9-3 at 157 pounds in the regular season. An Exercise Science major, he pinned two opponents and held a 5-2 record in conference duals.

All three Mocs are set to return to the lineup for the 2021-22 season.  Head coach Kyle Ruschell just wrapped up his third year after leading the Mocs to an 8-4 dual record in 2020-21.