Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Wrestling pays off for the Vols...

Defensive lineman Jordan Phillips would start off the commitment barrage on July 1.

The Ocoee, Florida native chose Tennessee over a final group that included Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Maryland. Phillips ranks as the 640th best player and 96th best defensive lineman in the country according to the 247sports composite rankings.

The 6-foot-2, 300 pound defensive lineman is a three sport athlete at Ocoee High School, excelling in wrestling and weight lifting on top of football. 

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2021/07/09/recapping-busy-week-of-tennessee-football-recruiting/

And yes, this is going on the football boards as well ;)

19 hours ago, Hamblin said:

I notice nobody on the football threads want to acknowledge the elephant in the room. At least they aren’t beating you up over posting it. That’s a plus.

As a whole the football players and coaching staffs in Tennessee do not understand wrestling other than knowing that they do not under any circumstances want to work as hard as wrestlers.  You have to have short term memory loss and be mentally tough to put a singlet on and compete one on one in the middle of a mat.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

Chattanooga-Area Student-Athletes Nominated For State-Wide Recognition

Male Wrestler of the Year: Cody Chittum, Cleveland; Garrison Dendy, Baylor; David Harper, Baylor; Trae McDaniel, Cleveland; Emory Taylor, McCallie; Daniel Urochok, Signal Mountain; Alex Whitworth, McCallie

Male Athlete of the Year: Eric Rivers, McCallie  

Wednesday, July 14, 2021 - by Dennis Norwood

ESPN College Game Day analyst Seth Greenberg, also a two-time ACC Coach of the Year, along with former NBA player and current ESPN analyst LaPhonso Ellis will emcee the inaugural Tennessee High School Sports Awards to be held online Thursday, July 15th at 7 p.m.. The awards are presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans.

The awards are part of the largest high school sports awards program in the nation and recognize the top athletes in most state-sanctioned sports across the country. The program will be live streamed on-demand at https://sportsaward

State winners will be automatically entered as candidates to be honored in the nation-wide newly establishedmUSA Today High School Sports Award program.

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2021/7/14/431299/Chattanooga-Area-Student-Athletes.aspx

Bingham, Walter "Troy" (Cleveland)

Wednesday, July 14, 2021
article.431289.jpg

Walter “Troy” Bingham born March 7, 1969, to the late Harold and Rita Bingham in Cleveland, passed away on July 9, 2021. Troy took pride in his ability to do plaster and stucco work. He played football, baseball and wrestled for Bradley Central High School. Troy was honored for running the 1984 Olympic Torch Relay.

He is survived by his wife, Angie Bingham; his children, Alisha Bingham, Samantha (Ryan) Elliott, Sydney Bingham and Sarah Bingham; grandkids, Darian & Kaydence Clay, Trandon & Sawyer Evett and Alexzander Elliott; brothers, Tyler (Amy) Bingham, Todd Bingham, Tray (Charlotte) Bingham; along with several nieces, nephews, foster kids and God kids.

The family will receive friends on Thursday, July 15 from 1-3 p.m. in the Athens chapel of Companion Funeral Home, 400 S. White St. in Athens. A funeral service will follow the visitation time, with the Reverend Randy Higginbottom officiating. Interment will follow in the New Friendship Baptist Church Cemetery, with family and friends serving as pallbearers.

Share a memory of Troy and/or your personal condolences with his family by visiting his memorial webpage and guestbook at www.companionfunerals.com. 

Companion Funeral Home of Athens is honored to assist the Bingham family with these arrangements.

TSSAA inducts Class of 2020 into Hall of Fame

2020 honorees officially inducted after multiple postponements due to pandemic

July 17, 2021

Turner JacksonTeacher, coach, and administrator for 41 years…served as head wrestling coach for 2 years at LakeView Fort Ogelthorpe High School before going to Bradley Central High School in 1979…has coached wrestling, cross country, track and field, and softball during his tenure at Bradley Central…served 20 years as athletic director…Retired in 2015, but still teaching wellness and serving as school’s athletic director on 100-day contract…TIAAA Athletic Director of the Year…Region 3 A. F. Bridges Athletic Director of the Year…member of National Wrestling, Greater Chattanooga Sports, Bradley Co. Old Timers, and UTC halls of fame…TN Sports Hall of Fame Athlete of the Year in 1976

https://tssaa.org/article/tssaa-hall-of-fame-class-inducted

site logo
LIVE1

Shuler named head wrestling coach at Tennessee High

by Jarvis Haren

Thursday, July 22nd 2021
AA
FILE - New Tennessee High wrestling coach Josh Shuler (WCYB Photo).<p>{/p}
FILE - New Tennessee High wrestling coach Josh Shuler (WCYB Photo).<p>{/p}
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

(WCYB) — Tennessee High has named Josh Shuler its new head wrestling coach.

Shuler comes from Virginia High where he's served as their head wrestling coach since 2010.

“I look forward to a great opportunity to join an already successful athletic department at Tennessee High School,” Shuler said. “I am excited to join a wrestling program and track and field program that has a history of success. I look forward to bringing my coaching style and expertise to the programs and help continue the winning tradition. I’ve always admired Tennessee High for their athletic and academic accomplishments, and I look forward to joining the staff.”
https://wcyb.com/sports/high-school-sports/shuler-named-head-wrestling-coach-at-tennessee-high

Former York-Adams League wrestler earns third-place finish at junior nationals in Fargo

STEVE HEISER
717-505-5446/@ydsports

Montana DeLawder, seen here at bottom in a file photo while wrestling for Gettysburg High School, finished third at 2021 U.S. Marine Corps Junior Women’s Freestyle Wrestling Nationals in Fargo, North Dakota. DeLawder was competing in the 122-pound class.

Montana DeLawder is returning home from North Dakota with a third-place finish.

DeLawder went 5-1 during her matches at the 2021 U.S. Marine Corps Junior Women’s Freestyle Wrestling Nationals in Fargo.

The former Gettysburg High School standout got off to a strong start with 10-0, 10-0 and 6-0 triumphs in the 122-pound division. In the semifinals, however, DeLawder dropped an 11-0 decision to California’s Jennifer Soto.

That bumped the former York-Adams League wrestler into the consolation bracket, where she earned 8-3 and 10-0 verdicts to grab the third-place finish.

At Gettysburg, DeLawder wrestled for the boys’ team and compiled a four-year record of 85-52. She did claim four state titles in Pennsylvania girls’ competition, but those state crowns were not sanctioned by the PIAA.

In December, DeLawder committed to wrestle for the King University women’s team. King is located in Bristol, Tennessee, and ranks among the best women’s wrestling programs in the nation. DeLawder received a full scholarship.

Reach Steve Heiser at [email protected].

https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/sports/high-school/wrestling/2021/07/22/former-york-adams-wrestler-finishes-third-junior-nationals-fargo/8049834002/

TOP TARGETS:These are the top football prospects in Tennessee's loaded 2022 class

Anderson had more than 25 offers. Anderson is the No. 6 college football recruit in the state according to the 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 20 offensive tackle in the country and No. 230 overall recruit.

He's a multi-sport athlete. This past year he finished one match from placing in the TSSAA Large Class Wrestling State Championships at the 285-pound weight class. It came in his first year of wrestling since he was in middle school.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/07/25/fisher-anderson-4-star-offensive-tackle-commits-stanford-football/8086557002/

Welcome a new wrestling family to Tennessee, Millers, parents of Illinois champion and Campbell U. 220 pounder recruit...

Conner Miller will wrestle at Campbell University after three state medals

Bill Welt
State Journal-Register

Chatham Glenwood High School's Conner Miller is The State Journal-Register's Large School Wrestler of the Year.

CHATHAM — Wrestling entailed more than just one thing for recent Chatham Glenwood High School graduate Conner Miller.

It also provided a second family and enduring friendships.

"It was probably the best four years of wrestling," Miller reflected of his time at Glenwood. "I kind of wish I could go back and start from scratch, but they really taught me a lot. Wrestling made me better and it really was more than just wrestling, it was a whole family.

"To me, it was more than just a single-person thing. It was more of a team that brought me closer to people. Just really wherever we go, you know someone."

Miller certainly thrived in that team atmosphere.

He finished the regular season undefeated and claimed the Class 2A Illinois Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association Class 2A regional and sectional titles at 220 pounds. He ultimately captured the 2A state title after David Polaski's 9-4 decision over Miller in the state finals was overturned due to rules violations.

Miller previously defeated Polaski 5-4 in the Mahomet-Seymour Sectional final and ended the season with a perfect 34-0 mark to become The State Journal-Register's Large School Wrestler of the Year for the second consecutive season.

"I did pretty well in my opinion," Miller said. "Not many of my matches lasted that long until I got to regionals, sectionals and state."

Despite a delayed season, Miller said he was able to stay in peak form thanks to heavyweight teammate Alex Hamrick in the practice room. Hamrick took third place himself at 285 pounds and finished the year 35-1.

"We had a lot of tough scraps in the wrestling room and it made both of us better," Miller said. "He's really the toughest competition I've had.

Miller embraced the role as mentor for Hamrick, perhaps not unlike what former teammate and current Purdue University wrestler Mitch Hutmacher provided for him.

"I pushed him to do better, and he got exponentially better throughout the season," Miller said of Hamrick.

Miller previously went state runner-up in the Illinois High School Association Class 2A State Finals in Champaign as a junior and ended that season 41-1 at 220 pounds. He also earned third place in the same weight class his sophomore year. 

He will now wrestle at NCAA Division I Campbell University in North Carolina. Miller said he may wrestle at 197 pounds but said he will take up any weight class the coaching staff wants him to do.

Miller's family recently moved to Tennessee, and Miller said he will get back to training as soon as possible. Miller also said he plans to study homeland security and criminal justice at Campbell.

To be able to wrestle at a D-I school is an indescribable feeling for Miller.

"I'm not sure what to think of it," Miller said. "I didn't think I would get to this point."

Contact Bill Welt: [email protected], Twitter.com/BillWelt

Tennessee... Anyone know exactly where? Could help your upper weights in the room 

Wrestling: BGA tabs Humes to lead progam

Trevor Humes

Trevor Humes

Battle Ground Academy announced the hiring of Trevor Humes as the wrestling program’s new head coach on Tuesday.

Humes, a Father Ryan graduate, takes over for Robert Jemison, who recently was named the St. Cecilia athletic director.

Humes wrestled with the Irish and was a part of their 2009, 2010 and 2012 state championship teams in Division II during his high school days. He returned to Father Ryan and has served as an assistant at the Nashville school since 2016.

Humes will serve as BGA’s director of wrestling and head middle and high school coach. Humes holds a bachelor’s degree in biology from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga where he also served as the team wrestling manager under coach Heath Eslinger.

Humes is pursuing his master’s degree in secondary education and will also be working in BGA’s wellness department.

http://www.williamsonherald.com/sports/wrestling-bga-tabs-humes-to-lead-progam/article_da206646-ef26-11eb-8f08-f7ac36a5ffa4.html

• Upvote 1

Two Sycamore wrestlers compete at Deep South Duals 

Sycamore Wrestlers

Dalen Kimble (right) and Logan Heckert (left) competed at the Deep South Duals last weekend. SUBMITTED

Two Sycamore high school wrestlers competed on a team of other Tennessee high schoolers in a duals tournament in Alabama. Rising senior Dalen Kimble wrestled at 145 pounds and went 9-0 over the weekend defeating the majority of his opponents by major decisions, meaning by 9 points or more. Rising Junior Logan Heckert won six matches on the weekend while losing some close matches to some power house kids wrestling up at 160 pounds.

“For the record, Dalen doesn’t often win matches by large numbers,” Sycamore coach Steve Hamblin said. “He usually is very patient and scores when he needs to. He really turned it on this weekend. Logan is wrestling 4 weight classes higher than he did last year while competing at state. That’s a big jump and quite an adjustment to make.”

“I am very proud of these two and the coaching staff at Sycamore looks forward to the upcoming season,” Hamblin said. “We have a solid group of kids working out and getting ready for the season. They are hungry and ‘want more’ than what they accomplished last season.”

https://www.mainstreetpreps.com/county/cheatham/two-sycamore-wrestlers-compete-at-deep-south-duals/article_d3c9f6cc-f2f0-11eb-b8c9-97478cb11ab4.html

• Like 1