Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

From Chattanoogan…

Palmer Advances To Semis In Southern Scuffle Wrestling

Sunday, January 1, 2023
Day one is in the books for the Southern Scuffle, presented by Compound Sportswear. McKenzie Arena was treated with high drama and a fantastic performance from sophomore Brayden Palmer. Palmer marched to the semifinals with three wins. 

He opened with a dominating 8-0 major decision over Maryland’s Connor Quinn. The round of 16 matchup with McGwire Midkiff was a little more dramatic.

The 3-1 win was clinched in the first period with a takedown. Both wrestlers escaped from the down position in the second and third periods as Palmer thwarted every Bison attempt in the third.

The quarterfinals saw No. 16 Ramazan Attasauov of Iowa State in the crosshairs. He went up 4-2 before a late Palmer takedown sent it to the third knotted 4-all. Palmer escaped 19 seconds into the period for the 5-4 lead and then this happened with 0:06 left for the 7-4 decision. 

"It's a big deal," Coach Kyle Ruschell began. "Anytime we get somebody in the semifinals is good. Brayden is really hard to finish on. He's really good and can do some special things."

Logan Andrew made sure his 133 would not be lonely on Monday. He claimed a takedown with 10 seconds to go against Little Rock’s Apollo Gothard in the fourth round of consolations to advance to day two. He lost his round of 16 match in overtime before a strong 6-2 decision over Jake Andrews (CSU Bakersfield) in his first wrestle back.

"He's figuring out how to be a heavyweight," Ruschell added. "He who went from 97 took all year last year off.

He had about 10 matches at the weight class coming in, so he's figuring out how to wrestle heavyweight."

Palmer takes the mat for the semifinals against Minnesota’s Aaron Nagao which starts at 1 p.m., Monday, with the 125 class. Andrew is on the docket after the restart for the fifth round of consolations against Stanford’s Peter Ming opening the day at 11 a.m. Follow @LetsScuffle and @UTCWrestling on Twitter for updates.

MEDIA
Stream: FloWrestling | Live Stats: FloArena

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Monday, January 2
10 a.m.: Doors Open for Spectators
11 a.m.: 5th Round of Consolations
1 p.m.: Championship Semifinals & Consolation Quarterfinals
3 p.m.: Consolation Semifinals
7 p.m.:  Championship Finals & Medal Matches

BEST MOCS FINISHES IN THE SCUFFLE
2nd: Nick Soto, 2012 (133)
3rd: Sean Boyle, 2015 (125); Bryce Carr, 2017 (184); Bryce Carr, 2018 (184); Brayden Palmer, 2022 (133)
4th: John Davis, 2005 (184); Nick Soto, 2014 (133); Jared Johnson, 2016 (285); Matthew Waddell, 2020 (184)
5th: Matt Keller, 2005 (133); Javier Maldonado, 2006 (125); Michael Keefe, 2006 (141); Scottie Boykin, 2018 (197); Alonzo Allen, 2019 (125); Tanner Smith, 2020 (149)
6th: Aaron Martin, 2006 (149); Dean Pavlou, 2012 (149); Jared Johnson, 2017 (285); Chris Debien, 2019 (141); Fabian Gutierrez, 2022 (125)
7th: Matt Keller, 2006 (133); Lloyd Rogers, 2006 (174); Josh Edmundson, 2006 (184); Niko Brown, 2012 (197); Dean Pavlou, 2013 (141), Nick Soto, 2015 (133)
8th: Javier Maldonado, 2005 (125); Shawn Cordell, 2006 (125); Brandon Wright, 2012 (165); Roman Boylen, 2018 (149)

Match-by-Match Mocs Results
125: Logan Ashton
#16 Stevo Poulin (N. Colorado), MD, L, 2-13
Reid Nelson (Little Rock), Dec., L, 0-4
133: Brayden Palmer
Conner Quinn (Maryland), MD, W, 8-0
McGwire Midkiff (N.D. St.), Dec., W, 3-1
#16 Ramazan Attasauov (Iowa St.), Dec., W, 7-4

141: Blake Boarman
Collin Gerardi (Va Tech), MD, L, 1-13
Teague Travis (Oklahoma St.), Fall, L, 5:00

141: Dayne Dalrymple
Dylan Chappell (Bucknell), MD, L, 0-8
Kyren Butler (Virginia), Dec., L, 1-4

141: Eli Knight
#25 Darren Miller (Bucknell), TF, L, 3-18
Andrew Bloemhof (Oklahoma St.), Fall, 1:27

141: Franco Valdes
#4 Allen Hart (Missouri), Fall, L, 4:31
Jayden Gomez (Little Rock), Dec., L, 1-3

149: Noah Castillo
Blaine Brenner (Minnesota), Dec., L, 3-8
Nate Pulliam (Missouri), Dec., W, 2-0
Grant Lundy (Chattanooga), Med. For., L

149: Grant Lundy
#23 Quinn Kinner (Rider), Fall, L, 4:22
Jaden Reynolds (Purdue), Dec., W, 6-3
#30 Noah Castillo (Chattanooga), Med. For., W
Marcos Polanco (Minnesota), Dec., L, 5-9

149: Matthew Williams
Theo Cha (Minnesota), Dec., L, 3-5
#16 Jaden Abas (Stanford), TF, L, 3-18

157: Lincoln Heck
Luke Mechler (Oklahoma St.), Dec., W, 6-5
Vinny Zerbian (N. Colorado), MD, L, 1-9
Tim Stapleton (Minnesota), Dec., W, 6-4
Andrew Huddleston (Iowa St.), Dec., L, 6-10

157: Jackson Hurst
Nathan Moore (N. Colorado), Dec., L, 2-3
Jason Kraisser (Iowa St.), Dec., L, 5-7

165: Kamdyn Munro
Baylor Fernandes (N. Colorado), Dec., L, 2-6
Chase Barlow (Bucknell), Dec., W, 8-4
Gaetano Console (Duke), Fall, W, 0:58
Dimitri Gamkrelidze (Binghamton), Dec., L, 3-9

165: Thomas Sell
Hunter Garvin (Stanford), Dec., L, 12-18
William Ebert (Binghamton), Dec., L, 10-13

174: Sergio Desiante
Andrew Berryesa (N. Colorado), Dec., L, 3-8
Brody Baumann (Purdue), MD, L, 5-16

174: Bryce Keckley
#21 Julien Broderson (Iowa St.), TF, L, 3-18
Jordan Florence (Va Tech), MD, L, 3-13

184: Ben Bumgarner
Gavin Stika (Oklahoma St.), Fall, L, 2:26
Brook Byers (Stanford), MD, L, 4-14

184: Landon Lewis
#22 Sean Harman (Missouri), MD, L, 6-18
Luke Chakonis (Duke), Fall, L, 4:48

184: Matthew Waddell
Kyle Haas (Oklahoma St.), Dec., L, 4-9
Jacob Hansen (CSUB), Dec., W, 9-3
Sam Fisher (Va Tech), Dec., L, 1-3

197: Jake Boyd
#29 Michial Foy (Minnesota), Dec., L, 0-1
Ty Lukens (Little Rock), Dec., W, 2-0
Carson Floyd (App St.), Dec., L, 1-3 SV

197: Logan Webster
Brayden Ray (Duke), Dec., L, 5-6
Ty Lukens (Little Rock), Fall, L, 0:26

285: Logan Andrew
Juan Mora (N.D. St.), Dec., L, 1-3 SV-1
Jake Andrews (CSUB), Dec., W, 6-2
Apollo Gothard (Little Rock), W, 3-1

NEXT 3 MATCHES
Jan. 6: at VMI
Jan. 13: West Virginia, 7 p.m.
Jan. 21: Davidson, 7 p.m.

133: Brayden Palmer
Conner Quinn (Maryland), MD, W, 8-0
McGwire Midkiff (N.D. St.), Dec., W, 3-1
#16 Ramazan Attasauov (Iowa St.), Dec., W, 7-4
#21 Aaron Nagao (Minnesota), Fall, W, 2:36
(Championship) #2 Daton Fix (Oklahoma State), Dec., L, 3-7

UTC’s (Beech) Palmer continues to prove himself at Southern Scuffle

January 2, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.

by Gene Henley

102635282_DSC_1865_t800.jpg?90232451fbca Photo courtesy Laura O'Dell // UTC junior 133-pounder Brayden Palmer rallied to become only the second Mocs wrestler in school history to advance to the finals of the annual Southern Scuffle.

Maybe Brayden Palmer just needs a little jolt from time to time.

In both his quarterfinal and semifinal matches at the 2023 Southern Scuffle at McKenzie Arena, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga junior 133-pounder quickly fell behind due to takedowns, yet in both cases rallied back to claim victories over ranked opponents to advance to the championship round. That made him only the second Mocs wrestler in school history to do so and the first to advance to the final at the prestigious in-season tournament since Nick Soto in 2012.

"I don't know if falling behind angers me. I feel like sometimes I start a little bit slow in tournaments," Palmer said Monday. "I always kind of wrestle worse than normal."

Similar to his wrestling style, Palmer had a slow start to his college career, which started at Clarion, a Division I program in Pennsylvania. In two years there he saw action in just nine matches before deciding to transfer to UTC, which is closer to his hometown of Hendersonville. That's probably why it took a while for him to realize he had the potential to be pretty good at the sport in college, with last season's Scuffle being the turning point.

He also said that he had needed to change "some lifestyle habits." It's safe to say, that's happened.

"I'd lost the first match here a year ago and I was afraid I'd go 0-2, and I didn't want to do that," Palmer said. "Then I got the first one, then I got three or four (straight wins) and I was like, 'Alright, I can do this at this level.

"At the beginning of last season, I would kind of freak out a little bit, but I've learned over the last year that no matter what, I'm just going to stay calm and keep wrestling and this stuff will happen."

After that opening round loss last year, Palmer won seven consecutive matches to take third in his weight class. He then added four more wins for a streak of 11 consecutive victories over two years at the Scuffle prior to his 7-3 loss in Monday's championship round to nationally second-ranked and three-time All-American and NCAA runner-up Daton Fix from Oklahoma State. But the run included consecutive ranked victories for the 27th-ranked Palmer, who defeated 16th-ranked Ramazan Attasauov of Iowa State and Minnesota's Aaron Nagao, who is ranked 21st.

UTC head coach Kyle Ruschell was slightly disappointed he didn't have more team members still wrestling Monday -- he entered the day with just two wrestlers remaining, with 285-pounder Logan Andrew winning two consolation matches Sunday before being eliminated Monday morning -- but is pleased by the progress and the performance of Palmer.

"Anytime that Chattanooga singlet is out there in the finals, it's good, right?" Ruschell said. "Especially in our home tournament. Brayden can do special things, and when everything's right, he can do stuff like that. He's hard to score on and guys know that; he can make a couple of mistakes and still win, so I'm proud of him.

"It's his world, man. I knew he had some gifts when he got here, but the way he watches his weight, to his expectation of being an All-American or a national champion, it's real. It's not something he's saying."

Contact Gene Henley at [email protected].

photo Photo courtesy Laura O'Dell // UTC junior 133-pounder Brayden Palmer rallied to become only the second Mocs wrestler in school history to advance to the finals of the annual Southern Scuffle.
Edited by soms2

Summit going after some competition and note that 3 GA divisions are represented below…

From the Knockout Christmas Tournament in FL:

Team Scores

1          South Dade     206.0

2          Lake Gibson    156.5

3          Jensen Beach 145.0

4          Cass, GA    140.5

5          Mill Creek, GA       138.0

6          Buford HS, GA       127.0

7          Osceola (Kissimmee) 123.5

8          Jefferson, GA         109.0

9          Palmetto Ridge H.S.   108.0

10        Summit, TN           107.0

19        Dobyns Bennett          83.0

29        Lakeway Christian Academy 59.0

Edited by soms2

Wrestling Photo Gallery – 2023 Johnny Drennan Memorial Wrestling Invitational Championships

• Jan 8, 2023 Updated Jan 8, 2023

Photos from the championships rounds of the 2023 Johnny Drennan Memorial Wrestling Invitational at Father Ryan on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2023 in Nashville. 

1 of 22
Wrestling – 2023 Johnny Drennan Memorial Wrestling Invitational Championships

Tanner Tran and Axel Ritchie at 106 

• Photo by Charles Pulliam @cspulliam 

Landon Desselle of Summit and George Maholtz of Eastside at 138 

Pat Simpson 

Ty Tice and Chase Walker at 113 

Ty Tice and Chase Walker at 113 

Jordyn Raney and Jarvis Little at 126 

Pete Miller 

Jarvis Little

Jarvis Little and Jordyn Raney at 126 

Ethan Lipsey and Will Anderson at 132 

Ethan Lipsey and Will Anderson at 132 

Landon Desselle and George Maholtz at 138

Landon Desselle and George Maholtz at 138

Brock Wittman 

Logan Fowler and Jack Wyland at 152

Gunner Taylor and Lane Schrader at 160 

Matt Oberlander and Jake Stacey 

Aiden Brenot and Gavin Ricketts at 182 

Rob Atwood and Kendrick Curtis at 195 

Gabe Fisher and Oscar Adams at 220 

Gabe Fisher and Oscar Adams at 220 

Tigers dominate the mat in Cherokee tournament over the weekend

By Montana Findley Sports Reporter Jan 10, 2023 Updated 4 hrs ago

The Pigeon Forge Tigers wrestling team were back in action on Saturday, Jan 7, as they traveled to Cherokee, North Carolina for the Osley B. Saunooke Memorial Tournament.

https://www.themountainpress.com/sports/tigers-dominate-the-mat-in-cherokee-tournament-over-the-weekend/article_015e941f-93c0-5c4b-8e0c-9991bc030ea4.html

——————-

Kudos to Coach Cook and Cavalier crew…

Cavs win Redhawk Rampage

Posted 1/10/23
SMYRNA — The Cookeville High School wrestling program made a splash at the Redhawk Rampage Saturday as the boys finished first out of 25 teams, while the girls finished seventh out of 22 teams

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/cavs-win-redhawk-rampage,75988

Edited by soms2

McMinn wrestling beats Hixson, Polk County

• From Athenian staff reports
  •  
    • 1 hr ago

BENTON – McMinn County wrestling picked up two wins Tuesday at Polk County High School, defeating Hixson and hosting Polk each by 45-30 scores.

Zach Helms, Rylan Wilkins, Israel Smith, Isaiah Ison, Dakota Guffey, Nick Vincent, Chris Rouse and NaQuan Vincent won their matches against Hixson. Brayden "Flaco" Fletcher, Wilkins, Jared Pettit, Brad Simmons, Nick Vincent, NaQuan Vincent and Kenley Petrosino won their matches against Polk.

Four Science Hill wrestlers take Brawl titles; West Ridge's Coger claims championship.com

• Jan 14, 2023 Updated 25 min ago
1 of 5
DSC_0033.JPG
63c3423908587.image.jpg?crop=1491%2C840%

Science Hill's Devon Medina (left) tries to escape the grasp of Cox Mill's Bryce Gadson in Saturday's 195-pound championship match.

DSC_0055.JPG
63c34239de268.image.jpg?resize=200%2C129

Cox Mill's Bryson Gadson, left, and Science Hills' Devon Medina lock up in their 195-pound championship match.

63c3423a8d9ae.image.jpg?resize=200%2C131

Wyatt Howard of Pigeon Forge, left, and Jamie Beck of Science Hill face off in Saturday's 160 championship match.

63c3423b32f07.image.jpg?resize=200%2C139

Perry Tate of Science Hill, left, tries to fend off a shot by Herbert Little of Pigeon Forge in their 182-pound championship match.

63c3423bc8ca2.image.jpg?resize=200%2C137

Science Hill's Keimel Redford tries to get the upper hand against Pigeon Forge's Caleb Wolfe in Saturday's heavyweight championship match.

JOHNSON CITY — Science Hill had six boys reach the finals and three earn championships in their weight classes at the 23rd annual Fandetti-Richardson Brawl.

Devon Medina, one of four Science Hill seniors to reach the finals, repeated as 195-pound champion of the home wrestling meet with an exciting sudden victory over Bryce Gadson of North Carolina's Cox Mill.

Medina gutted out the 5-3 win despite being pushed around much of the match by Gadson, an explosive grappler with speed and power. Medina said at the end, it came down to what his family and coaches preached.

“He was 100% one of the toughest guys I’ve ever faced. He was so strong,” Medina said. “My dad and Coach (Jimmy) Miller always say to have more heart than the other wrestler. I was exhausted. My lungs were going out, my heart was racing and my body was on fire.”

Junior Stiles Miller, who competes at 113, and freshman Chase Smalling (120) also won individual championships. The Hilltoppers tied for second with South Carolina's Fort Mill with 136 points. Lakeway Christian took the team title with 158.5 points.

In the 120 final, Stiles pinned Jacob Nally from Fort Mill at 3:38 of the first period.

Stiles also reached a milestone with his 100th career win earlier in the day. Like his teammates who reached the mark, Stiles will be awarded pink laces for his wrestling shoes to celebrate the achievement.

Stiles and Smalling shared the most outstanding wrestler award for the lower weights.

“We had six in the finals, won three and lost three,” Coach Miller said. “Stiles started us off at 113 and ran through the tournament pretty good. He had a tough match getting out of the pool, but we wrestled the kid from Fort Mill a month ago. He won then and won today with a good scramble.”

Smalling captured a hard-fought 13-10 decision over Cole Gumlick of Lakeway Christian in the 120 final. The freshman is 33-1 on the season and has the Science Hill coaches excited about how good he can become.

“Chase has great offense on his feet and he’s very aware of where he’s at,” Coach Miller said. “I can’t ask for nothing better from that kid. He’s going to find his way on the podium.”

Three other Science Hill wrestlers reached the finals. All three lost to Pigeon Forge grapplers. Pigeon Forge's Wyatt Howard pinned Jamie Beck in 2:57, Herbert Little pinned Perry Tate in 3:49 and Caleb Williams scored an 11-0 major decision over Keimel Redford.

GIRLS COMPETITION

Alex Costello pinned Delaney Nichols of Gibbs to win the girls’ 120 class. Sawyer Ward reached the final at 138 where she lost a 3-0 decision to Baylor's Paraskevi Christopolos. Kay’a Robinson was runner-up at 152, losing a pinfall to Krickett Jones from Karns.

Other local champions were West Ridge's Angel Coger, who captured first place at 165, and Greeneville's Jenna Baines at 107.

THE TRADITION CONTINUES

The wrestling meet continues to bring out fields of strong fields of teams and grapplers in its 23rd year. It’s also a time to celebrate the memories of fallen wrestlers Scott Fandetti, Todd Richardson and Scott Moffat.

“We lost a few teams with the weather, but we had some great matches, great finals,” Miller said. “It gets better and better. We work months to go out find the teams and who the best teams are. We just keep wrestling.”

The Kingsport Times News 

Matthew Waddell made it three falls in a row in duals for the Chattanooga Mocs at 184.

RESULTS

CHATTANOOGA---The Chattanooga Mocs battled 24th-ranked West Virginia toe-to-toe for 70-plus minutes but fell 22-16. The match featured both dominant and gritty performances on both sides ending with a dramatic finish.

"There are no moral victories," Coach Kyle Ruschell shared afterwards. "We told them that if they don't think that what we're working on is happening, you're crazy, because we're seeing more aggression, we're seeing better hand fighting, more leg attacks, a little bit better job on top…we're seeing all of those things.

"We just need to continue to do that for the next 60 days."

The Mocs return to Maclellan Gym next Saturday hosting Davidson. The match is scheduled for a 7 p.m., start.

WEIGHT-BY-WEIGHT
157: 0-3
Lincoln Heck and No. 29 Alex Hornfeck battled for the full seven minutes with the Mountaineer getting the 3-2 win. Heck got the lone takedown of the match with seven seconds left in the second period but took a locked hands penalty before the buzzer. Hornfeck got two escapes for the win.

165: 0-9
#12 Peyton Hall and Thomas Sell had a spirited first period before the Mountaineer got Sell into a bad position in the second and finished the fall at 4:50.

174: 4-9
It was all Rocky Jordan in this one almost owning 7:00 in riding time. He claimed a 9-0 major over Scott Joll with constant pressure.
Note: Jordan now has out-scored opponents 99-12 in 10 duals

184: 10-9
In the lone ranked matchup of the night & rematch from last year, No. 33 Matthew Waddell stole the show. He used a standing reversal straight on the back of No. 30 Anthony Carman for the fall at 4:03.
Note: Three straight pins in duals for Waddell

197: 13-9
Jake Boyd used all the time available for a 3-2 TB win over Ian Bush. Both wrestlers managed just escapes throughout the 10 minutes with a near takedown into fall position by Boyd in the first only to see Bush sneak away. The tiebreaker round saw Boyd out in two seconds while riding Bush for 13 seconds to net the point and win.
Note: Now 4-2 with the match score ending within two points.

285: 13-12
No. 28 Michael Wolfgram dominated the early going of the match before Andrew used a late takedown in the second and quick escape in the third to make it interesting at 11-7. He nearly combined a takedown into fall points, but Wolfgram out-wrestled him to get the two points and held on for 13-8 victory.

125: 13-16
No. 7 Killian Cardinale got a 10-2 major over Dom DiTomasso. He built it methodically with half of his scoring coming in the third.

133: 16-16
Brayden Palmer knotted the dual score with a 7-3 win. His 4-point near fall early in the third period was the difference.
Note: Palmer won nine of his last 10 matches

141: 16-19
Dayne Dalrymple got the start against Jordan Titus who was coming off a weekend win over then No. 1 Cole Matthews of Pitt. Dalrymple battled but couldn't find his offense in a 6-2 decision loss.

149: 16-22
Grant Lundy trailed No. 28 Sam Hillegas 8-2 in the second period when he got a takedown midway through to get a spark. He was down in riding time so he needed a special third. Lundy out-scored his ranked opponent 6-3 working Hillegas to the end but ran out of time as Hillegas literally held on in the final seconds for the 12-10 win.

#24 West Virginia 22, Chattanooga 16
157: 157: Alex Hornfeck (WVU) 3-2 dec over Lincoln Heck (CHAT) – 0-3
165: Peyton Hall (WVU) fall (4:50) over Thomas Sell (CHAT) – 0-6
174: Rocky Jordan (CHAT) 9-0 maj. dec. over Scott Joll (WVU) – 4-9
184: Matthew Waddell (CHAT) fall (4:03) over Anthony Carman (WVU) – 10-9
197: Jake Boyd (CHAT) 3-2 dec. TB over Ian Bush (WVU) – 13-9
285: Michael Wolfgram (WVU) 13-8 dec. over Logan Andrew (CHAT) – 13-12
125: Killian Cardinale (WVU) 10-2 maj. dec. over Dominic DiTomasso (CHAT) – 13-16
133: Brayden Palmer (CHAT) 7-3 dec. over Davin Rhoads (WVU) – 16-16
141: Jordan Titus (WVU) 6-2 dec. over Dayne Dalrymple (CHAT) – 16-19
149: Sam Hillegas (WVU) 12-10 dec. over Grant Lundy (CHAT) – 16-22

SERIES
0-3 | In Chattanooga: 0-1

QUOTABLE
"That's kind of what I do (on taking his shot reversing into the pin). Whenever i stand up from on bottom, I kind of leave it in their hands. If they want to just give me the point, that's fine. I'll take the point, but they want to stand there and wrestle, I have a few moves in there that I can really hurt him quick. (He smiled) So I don't like wrestling the whole time." – MatthewWaddell on his third straight pin in dual action

"Matt's did a great job of getting to offense right away with that shot tonight. I don't know if I've seen that shot in the first period all year, and so you can see his development as well. The pins are always there for him, he's always had that where a pen can happen, but the other little things the takedowns in the first period, the mat returns, that's the stuff that he needs to do to get over the next hump." – Kyle Ruschell on Waddell's work over the last three duals

NEXT 3 MATCHES
Jan. 27: at Presbyterian, 6 p.m.
Jan. 29: at The Citadel, 2 p.m.

gomocs.com

————————

A great concept IF your local media will do it…

Gwinnett Takedown Club honors county's best wrestlers from December

• From Staff Reports
  •  
    • 12 hrs ago

DSC_0131.JPG

Archer's Max Hennebaul, left, wrestles Brookwood's Jacob Chan in the 106-pound finals of the Gwinnett County tournament at Parkview on Dec. 22, 2022.

Will Hammock

The Gwinnett Takedown Club recently selected the wrestlers of the month for December, honoring the top performers from the first month of the high school season.

Each Gwinnett program had up to three wrestlers selected for the honor. Those athletes are:

Archer: Max Hennebaul, Gavin Frierson, Christian Sumo

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/tncms/asset/editorial/b1a81b66-955e-11ed-84c5-8fe1b485805e/

Edited by soms2

On 1/16/2023 at 12:50 AM, soms2 said:

Matthew Waddell made it three falls in a row in duals for the Chattanooga Mocs at 184.

RESULTS

CHATTANOOGA---The Chattanooga Mocs battled 24th-ranked West Virginia toe-to-toe for 70-plus minutes but fell 22-16. The match featured both dominant and gritty performances on both sides ending with a dramatic finish.

"There are no moral victories," Coach Kyle Ruschell shared afterwards. "We told them that if they don't think that what we're working on is happening, you're crazy, because we're seeing more aggression, we're seeing better hand fighting, more leg attacks, a little bit better job on top…we're seeing all of those things.

"We just need to continue to do that for the next 60 days."

The Mocs return to Maclellan Gym next Saturday hosting Davidson. The match is scheduled for a 7 p.m., start.

WEIGHT-BY-WEIGHT
157: 0-3
Lincoln Heck and No. 29 Alex Hornfeck battled for the full seven minutes with the Mountaineer getting the 3-2 win. Heck got the lone takedown of the match with seven seconds left in the second period but took a locked hands penalty before the buzzer. Hornfeck got two escapes for the win.

165: 0-9
#12 Peyton Hall and Thomas Sell had a spirited first period before the Mountaineer got Sell into a bad position in the second and finished the fall at 4:50.

174: 4-9
It was all Rocky Jordan in this one almost owning 7:00 in riding time. He claimed a 9-0 major over Scott Joll with constant pressure.
Note: Jordan now has out-scored opponents 99-12 in 10 duals

184: 10-9
In the lone ranked matchup of the night & rematch from last year, No. 33 Matthew Waddell stole the show. He used a standing reversal straight on the back of No. 30 Anthony Carman for the fall at 4:03.
Note: Three straight pins in duals for Waddell

197: 13-9
Jake Boyd used all the time available for a 3-2 TB win over Ian Bush. Both wrestlers managed just escapes throughout the 10 minutes with a near takedown into fall position by Boyd in the first only to see Bush sneak away. The tiebreaker round saw Boyd out in two seconds while riding Bush for 13 seconds to net the point and win.
Note: Now 4-2 with the match score ending within two points.

285: 13-12
No. 28 Michael Wolfgram dominated the early going of the match before Andrew used a late takedown in the second and quick escape in the third to make it interesting at 11-7. He nearly combined a takedown into fall points, but Wolfgram out-wrestled him to get the two points and held on for 13-8 victory.

125: 13-16
No. 7 Killian Cardinale got a 10-2 major over Dom DiTomasso. He built it methodically with half of his scoring coming in the third.

133: 16-16
Brayden Palmer knotted the dual score with a 7-3 win. His 4-point near fall early in the third period was the difference.
Note: Palmer won nine of his last 10 matches

141: 16-19
Dayne Dalrymple got the start against Jordan Titus who was coming off a weekend win over then No. 1 Cole Matthews of Pitt. Dalrymple battled but couldn't find his offense in a 6-2 decision loss.

149: 16-22
Grant Lundy trailed No. 28 Sam Hillegas 8-2 in the second period when he got a takedown midway through to get a spark. He was down in riding time so he needed a special third. Lundy out-scored his ranked opponent 6-3 working Hillegas to the end but ran out of time as Hillegas literally held on in the final seconds for the 12-10 win.

#24 West Virginia 22, Chattanooga 16
157: 157: Alex Hornfeck (WVU) 3-2 dec over Lincoln Heck (CHAT) – 0-3
165: Peyton Hall (WVU) fall (4:50) over Thomas Sell (CHAT) – 0-6
174: Rocky Jordan (CHAT) 9-0 maj. dec. over Scott Joll (WVU) – 4-9
184: Matthew Waddell (CHAT) fall (4:03) over Anthony Carman (WVU) – 10-9
197: Jake Boyd (CHAT) 3-2 dec. TB over Ian Bush (WVU) – 13-9
285: Michael Wolfgram (WVU) 13-8 dec. over Logan Andrew (CHAT) – 13-12
125: Killian Cardinale (WVU) 10-2 maj. dec. over Dominic DiTomasso (CHAT) – 13-16
133: Brayden Palmer (CHAT) 7-3 dec. over Davin Rhoads (WVU) – 16-16
141: Jordan Titus (WVU) 6-2 dec. over Dayne Dalrymple (CHAT) – 16-19
149: Sam Hillegas (WVU) 12-10 dec. over Grant Lundy (CHAT) – 16-22

SERIES
0-3 | In Chattanooga: 0-1

QUOTABLE
"That's kind of what I do (on taking his shot reversing into the pin). Whenever i stand up from on bottom, I kind of leave it in their hands. If they want to just give me the point, that's fine. I'll take the point, but they want to stand there and wrestle, I have a few moves in there that I can really hurt him quick. (He smiled) So I don't like wrestling the whole time." – MatthewWaddell on his third straight pin in dual action

"Matt's did a great job of getting to offense right away with that shot tonight. I don't know if I've seen that shot in the first period all year, and so you can see his development as well. The pins are always there for him, he's always had that where a pen can happen, but the other little things the takedowns in the first period, the mat returns, that's the stuff that he needs to do to get over the next hump." – Kyle Ruschell on Waddell's work over the last three duals

NEXT 3 MATCHES
Jan. 27: at Presbyterian, 6 p.m.
Jan. 29: at The Citadel, 2 p.m.

gomocs.com

————————

A great concept IF your local media will do it…

Gwinnett Takedown Club honors county's best wrestlers from December

• From Staff Reports
  •  
    • 12 hrs ago

DSC_0131.JPG

Archer's Max Hennebaul, left, wrestles Brookwood's Jacob Chan in the 106-pound finals of the Gwinnett County tournament at Parkview on Dec. 22, 2022.

Will Hammock

The Gwinnett Takedown Club recently selected the wrestlers of the month for December, honoring the top performers from the first month of the high school season.

Each Gwinnett program had up to three wrestlers selected for the honor. Those athletes are:

Archer: Max Hennebaul, Gavin Frierson, Christian Sumo

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/tncms/asset/editorial/b1a81b66-955e-11ed-84c5-8fe1b485805e/

Of note for UTC wrestling fans... fairly certain Max Hennebaul is the nephew of Bud Hennebaul 

• Upvote 1

King women's wrestling building a dynasty in East Tennessee

by Heather Williams

Tuesday, January 17th 2023
UserWay icon for accessibility widget

https://wcyb.com/sports/content/king-womens-wrestling-building-an-dynasty-in-east-tennessee

The King University women's wrestling program has become the queens of the mat in a short time.

The school recently won its sixth national championship in just 12 seasons of existence.

King women's wrestling (WCYBFacebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon

Edited by soms2