Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Just a couple of hours south of Chattanooga...

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/college/gwinnett-grads-county-sending-largest-crop-of-wrestlers-to-ncaa/article_ac0fc9fc-6f2a-500f-9b01-b97d111aa338.html

GWINNETT GRADS: County sending largest crop of wrestlers to NCAA Championships

By Will Hammock

[email protected]

Pic

Oklahoma’s Ryan Millhof, a Collins Hill grad, has qualified for the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. (Special photo)

Pic

Edinboro’s Sean Russell, a Collins Hill grad, qualified for this year’s NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. (Special photo)

Pic

Parkview grad Kamaal Shakur, a freshman at Chattanooga, won the Southern Conference title this season. (Photo: Dale Rutemeyer/UTC Athletics)

Pic

Buford grad Chip Ness (left), shown during his freshman season at North Carolina, will compete this weekend in the 50th annual National Wrestling Coaches Association All-Star Classic at Georgia Tech. (Special photo)

Pic

Oklahoma’s Ryan Millhof, a Collins Hill grad, has qualified for the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. (Special photo)

Pic

Oklahoma’s Ryan Millhof, a Collins Hill grad, has qualified for the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. (Special Photo)

Pic

Pic

Sean Russell

Pic

Parkview grad Kamaal Shakur, a freshman at Chattanooga, won the Southern Conference title this season. (Photo: Dale Rutemeyer/UTC Athletics)

Pic

Ryan Millhof and Sean Russell met as 5-year-olds learning wrestling for the first time at Dacula High School under a coaching staff that included both of their fathers.

They continued training together over the years and were high school teammates at Collins Hill, squaring off against each other regularly in practices and in meets. As high school freshmen — before Millhof transferred from Archer to Collins Hill — he lost to Russell in the state finals. The two, always in similar weight classes, also met in the finals of the Super 32 Challenge.

Their next meeting could be the most interesting one of all.

Both Millhof and Russell won their conference titles and were automatic qualifiers as 125-pounders into next week’s NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, hosted this year by New York City’s Madison Square Garden.

“It wouldn’t shock me (to face Russell in NCAAs),†said Millhof, a sophomore at Oklahoma. “No matter what, we always find a way to wrestle each other. It wouldn’t shock me.â€

“It definitely could happen,†said Russell, a redshirt freshman at Edinboro (Pa.). “We’re great friends, but when we wrestle we’ll try to rip each other’s heads off. And afterward we’ll go back to being great friends.â€

Millhof and Russell are part of a history-making Gwinnett foursome headed to NCAAs, which are March 17-19. They are the first two wrestlers from the perennially strong Collins Hill program to qualify for Division I nationals. They are joined by automatic qualifier Kamaal Shakur of Parkview and at-large selection Chip Ness of Buford, giving Gwinnett a best-ever four wrestlers at the prestigious NCAA meet.

“I think Gwinnett has come a long way and I think Georgia as a state has come long way (in wrestling),†Russell said. “For a long time, we’ve had the talent. It’s been right there. But I think the guys coming through right now are getting better coaching earlier, getting ready for the college level earlier. Guys like us have been trying to get ready for college for a long time. I think the mindset has changed in Gwinnett.â€

Millhof, ranked in the top 10 nationally in his weight class, won his first Big 12 Conference title to reach nationals, defeating Oklahoma State’s Eddie Klimara 5-4 in a 125-pound final that went to extra time. He brings a 14-7 record into NCAAs, as well as more confidence after a disappointing freshman season when he went 16-15 and didn’t qualify for the big season-ending meet. He was fourth in the Big 12 as a freshman.

“It meant a lot (to make NCAAs),†Millhof said. “I think it just showed my hard work and dedication from last year to this year just really paying off. … My mentality is the biggest thing that’s better. I’m going out there and having fun, not worrying about wins and losses, not putting pressure on myself, just wrestling. At the end of day, it’s just a wrestling match.â€

Russell also enters the 125-pound NCAA bracket as a conference champion, winning the Eastern Wrestling League title with a 20-8 major decision over Lock Haven’s Jake Fields. He was a redshirt last season for powerful Edinboro, which finished third as a team at NCAAs, and sported an 18-8 record in open tournaments. He takes a 27-7 record into NCAAs this season.

“It’s definitely always the goal (to make NCAAs),†Russell said. “At the start of the year, the goal is to make it to nationals. After school gets here, you go to work. Then you’re looking to make some noise at nationals.â€

The two Collins Hill products are joined at NCAAs by Shakur, an impressive 157-pounder for Chattanooga. The Parkview grad won the Southern Conference title with a 10-6 victory over The Citadel’s Aaron Walker, upping his record to 21-6 and earning the event’s Most Outstanding Wrestler award. After a redshirt 2014-15 season, he debuted with a strong season that netted him SoCon freshman of the year honors.

“Kamaal’s a very good athlete, a very good wrestler,†Russell said. “He hasn’t wrestled for a long time. I think he started as a freshman. But he’s done very well.â€

The three automatic qualifiers are joined by Ness, whose top-30 ranking nationally brought an at-large bid this week despite his sixth-place finish in the ACC Championships. Ness, who went 15-15 last season as a North Carolina freshman, is 18-12 this season as a 197-pound sophomore.

All four Gwinnett wrestlers will be part of a wildly popular event, which draws the nation’s most avid wrestling fans — last year’s three-day meet in St. Louis drew more than 100,000 fans. Millhof and Russell have been multiple times as fans to the NCAA meet, but never as one of the competitors.

Thanks Mo...

http://www.mopattonsports.com/2752-2/

Dream Team named by area coaches

Pic

ShareTweetPinMail

The Middle Tennessee Wrestling Coaches Association honored its Dream Team selections and presented various other awards at its annual banquet Wednesday.

Recipients included the following:

G.P. West Award – Mark Floyd, Montgomery Bell Academy.

Johnny Drennan Award – Trey Chalifoux, Father Ryan.

Coach of the Year – Pat Simpson, Father Ryan.

Official of the Year – Andrew Hedges.

Cheerleaders of the Year – Montgomery Bell Academy.

All-Midstate Dream Team

106 – Brayden Palmer, Beech; 113 – Job Dooley, Franklin; 120 – Gabriel Elkin, Montgomery Bell Academy; 126 – Raymond Eason, Father Ryan; 132 – Kirby Simpson, Father Ryan; 138 – Eli King, Father Ryan; 145 – Trevor Rippy, Beech; 152 – Chris Rowland, Ravenwood; 160 – Matthew Sells, Blackman;170 – Zach Linton, Wilson Central; 182 –Nathan Walling, Mt. Juliet; 195 – Ben Stacey, Father Ryan; 220 – D’On Coofer, Montgomery Bell Academy; 285 – Nick Boykin, Riverdale.

Large Schools Dream Team:

106 – Sean Sesnan, Lebanon; 113 – Alex Pergande, Wilson Central; 120 – Adam Fuller, Centennial; 126 –Tristan Roa, Brentwood; Jack Shrader, Franklin; 132 – Nick King, Wilson Central; Esteban Remillard, Summit;138 – Zack Wilkins, Mt. Juliet; 145 – Sawyer Knott, Summit; Sinjin Noga, Wilson Central;152 – Taylor Pate, Centennial; 160 – Austin Ryan, Independence; Damon Smith, Wilson Central; 170 – John Olivieri, Stewarts Creek;182 – Kaleb Rippy, Beech; 195 – Kolin Miller, Wilson Central; 220 – James Parker, Overton; 285 – Michael Kramer, Wilson Central.

Small Schools/Region 3-A/AA Dream Team:

106 – Jeffrey Gross, Forrest; 113 – Nathan Ford, Greenbrier; 120 – Braxton Hunter, Harpeth; 126 – Thomas Hatcher, Harpeth; Nick Oberstaedt, Page; 132 – Michael Coley, Nashville Christian; 138 – Andrew Birchett, Page; 145 – Mitchell Camper, Sycamore; 152 – Daelyn Rose, Harpeth; 160 – Randall McLoy, Forrest; 170 – John Noe, Page; Josh Ortiz-Derrick, Fairview; 182 – Zack Diviney, Sycamore; 195 – Greg Williams, Nashville Christian; 220 – Devin Spence, Harpeth; 285 – Eric Lee, East Nashville. Coach of the Year– Josh Reynolds, Greenbrier; Benji Gray, Page. Wrestler of the Year – Zack Diviney, Sycamore. Resiliency Award – James Smith, Martin Luther King.

Congrats to our Moccasins...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/3/8/319638/Moc-Wrestlers-Receive-At-Large-Bids.aspx

Moc Wrestlers Receive At-Large Bids To NCAAs

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team locked up three more bids to the NCAA Championships this afternoon.  Senior John Lampe and juniors Sean Mappes and Michael Pongracz were among the 49 at-large bids awarded today.

This is the first trip for Lampe, who was 20-5 and finished in second place at the Southern Conference Tournament over the weekend.  He is representing the Mocs at 184 pounds. 

Mappes is 17-10 overall at 174 pounds.  He was also the runner-up at the SoCons and is going to the NCAAs for the second year in a row.

Pongracz lost in overtime in the SoCon finals, but got in on his 22-4 overall record.  He is also returning to the NCAAs for the second time. 

"It is always exciting to add guys to that list," stated head coach Heath Eslinger.  "These guys worked hard and earned the right to compete in the national tournament.  It is fun to see all of their efforts come to fruition. 

"The one thing we do really well is stay consistent all year and that pays off in the selection process."

UTC was runner-up as a team at the SoCon Tournament by a ½-point to No. 22 Appalachian State.  The 23rd-ranked Mocs finished with a 12-4 overall record and tied for the SoCon regular season crown at 6-1 in league duals.

Lampe, Mappes and Pongracz join freshman Kamaal Shakur and juniors Scottie Boykin and Jared Johnson who earned automatic bids at the SoCon Tournament.

The NCAA Championships are set for March 17-19.  Action takes place in the historic Madison Square Garden in New York, N.Y.

Some fine UTC/Bedard Coverage in the Atlanta metro area...

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/college/former-wesleyan-coach-bedard-named-reinhardt-s-first-wrestling-coach/article_8f7476b7-145c-5e66-bdae-16e0a8096a35.html

Former Wesleyan coach Bedard named Reinhardt’s first wrestling coach

From Staff Reports

[email protected]

15 hrs ago  (0)

Reinhardt University announced this week that Jeff Bedard, currently an assistant coach at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, has been named the first head coach of Reinhardt’s wrestling program.

Bedard was head coach at Wesleyan in the past.

“We are very excited to add Jeff Bedard to our staff,†Reinhardt athletic director Bill Popp said. “I firmly believe that he is the perfect person that is coming to us at the perfect time. His vision for the program matches the vision that we have for it as well. I truly believe that Jeff can put Reinhardt on the map nationally in wrestling in a very short time.â€

Bedard is completing his second season with UTC, helping the program place six wrestlers in the upcoming NCAA Division I nationals at Madison Square Garden next week. This season, the Mocs finished second at the Southern Conference Championships by one-half of a point.

Prior to joining UTC’s staff in August 2014, Bedard was the co-owner for Compound Wrestling in Buford. Respected as one of the top training facilities in the region, Compound Wrestling produced 54 high school All-Americans and 37 state champions since 2009.

Bedard spent the previous five years as a high school head coach and assistant in Georgia. He was the 2007 Georgia Coach of the Year when he led Wesleyan to the state dual and traditional championships.

“I’m really excited about the opportunity,†Bedard said. “I think Reinhardt’s location is great. It’s in a great area of Georgia wrestling wise, being so close to Cobb County, Forsyth County and Gwinnett County. Wrestling is very popular in and around those areas and Reinhardt has easy access to all three of those hotbeds.â€

From 1999-2003, Bedard was a Sergeant in the Army while still competing. In 2000, he became the first American Freestyle World Military Champion and placed sixth at the 2001 Military Worlds. He was a three-time U.S. Armed Forces Champion and a USOC resident athlete.

Bedard also worked as an assistant at Carson-Newman (1993-94), Georgia State (1995-97), Cumberland (1997-98) and Cornell (1998-99). In seven seasons at the collegiate level, he coached 27 All-Americans and two national champions. A 1993 graduate of Carson-Newman, Bedard was an NAIA National Champion and a two-time All-American. He was the 1988 NAIA Most Outstanding Wrestler and the Gorriaran Award Winner.

On your way up to the NHSCA Duals or just to see some great high level AA wrestling for anyone able to get up to Pittsburgh on March 26th (there's at least two Southern Boys will be there to battle it out)...

Jake Wentzel (156-15) will face Thomas Bullard (210-11), a four-time Georgia champ from Archer High School, at 160 pounds.

Luke Karam (156-10) is matched up with Kyle Norstrem (287-3), a five-time Florida champ from Brandon High School, at 126 pounds.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/highschool/2016/03/15/Nine-WPIAL-wrestlers-on-Pennsylvania-team-in-Classic/stories/201603150073

Nine WPIAL wrestlers on Pennsylvania team in Classic

March 15, 2016 12:00 AM

By Ken Wunderley / Tri-State Sports & News Service

For the second year in a row, nine individuals from the WPIAL have been chosen to wrestle on the Pennsylvania All-Star Team at the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic, which will be held March 26 at University of Pittsburgh’s Fitzgerald Field House.

The Pennsylvania All-Star Team features a trio of three-time PIAA champions — Latrobe’s Luke Pletcher (166-5), Derry’s George Phillippi (169-14), and Bethlehem Catholic’s Luke Karam (156-10). Pletcher and Karam competed in Class AAA, while Phillippi won his titles in Class AA.

Pletcher and Phillippi competed at 138 pounds during this season, but Pletcher has agreed to move down to 132 since all competitors receive a 7-pound weight allowance.

“I want to wrestle Chad Red Jr. [183-0] again,†said Pletcher, referring to a four-time Nebraska champion from New Palastine High School. “I’m not cutting any weight now so I don’t have to lose any weight to compete at 132. “We’ve wrestled three times and he beat me the last two, including an overtime match at the ‘Who’s Number One’ competition.â€

Phillippi will face Mitchell McKee (270-18), a four-time Minnesota champ from Albertsville High School, in the 138-pound bout. Karam is matched up with Kyle Norstrem (287-3), a five-time Florida champ from Brandon High School, at 126 pounds.

A trio of two-time PIAA Class AA champs also are on the Pennsylvania squad — South Fayette’s Mike Carr (160-15) and the South Park duo of Jake Wentzel (156-15) and Greg Bulsak (148-18).

“Injured or not, I plan on wrestling Hunter Marko at 145 pounds in the Classic,†said Carr, who has battled through a knee injury and an abdominal hernia the final three weeks of the season. “My brothers [Nick and Seth] wrestled in the Classic, but both were on the WPIAL All-Star team.

Marko (150-4) is a four-time Wisconsin champion from Amery High School.

Wentzel will face Thomas Bullard (210-11), a four-time Georgia champ from Archer High School, at 160 pounds. Bulsak is matched with Keegan Moore (227-30), a three-time Minnesota champ from Jackson County Central, at 182 pounds.

The other four WPIAL wrestlers on the Pennsylvania team are North Hills’ Gage Curry (159-12, 113), Belle Vernon’s Austin Bell (160-24, 170), Armstrong’s Jacob Robb (144-25, 220) and Southmoreland’s Jacob Beistel (151-18, 285).

A team of WPIAL All-Stars will face an Indiana All-Star team in the preliminary match at 4 p.m. The feature match between Pennsylvania and United States will follow at 6 p.m.

Tickets can be purchased at Wright Automotive Group on Route 19, Canon McMillan High School and Franklin Regional High School. For more information about the Wrestling Classic or to order tickets, visit www.wrestlingclassic.com. The reserved seat ticket price is $15 and general admission is $10.

Coaching in middle Tennessee just got beefed up...

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/wells-named-ba-wrestling-coach

Pic

FIND A SCHOOL

WRESTLING

Wells named BA wrestling coach

By Staff reports, The Tennessean March 15, 2016

Pic

Scott Wells (left) was named the new Brentwood Academy wrestling coach Tuesday.

After earning a Super Bowl ring and spending more than a decade in the NFL, Brentwood Academy alumnus Scott Wells is returning home to be the wrestling coach at his alma mater.

“It is an honor to have Scott back at BA in this role,†Brentwood Academy athletic director Cody White said in a statement. “I have gotten to know him better over the past year as he has helped out with our middle football program. There is no doubt that his character and devotion to the school’s mission will be huge assets to the young men who participate in our wrestling program.â€

Wells is a 1999 graduate of Brentwood Academy.

While there, Wells went unbeaten during his wrestling career with the Eagles and took home the state championship in his weight class in 1998 and 1999.

While being a standout wrestler and racking up the awards on the mat, Wells was just as impressive on the gridiron.

He was named Mr. Football Lineman in 1998, then went on to play football for the University of Tennessee before being taken in the seventh round of the 2004 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers, where he was a part of the team that won Super Bowl XLV.

He finished his playing career with the St. Louis Rams in 2014.

Despite his success with his professional football career, Wells likes the opportunities wrestling provides to share life lessons.

“Wrestling is a sport like no other,†Well said in a statement. “It requires you to push yourself beyond the breaking point on a daily basis in pursuit of greatness. Lessons are taught on the wrestling mat that carry over into every aspect of your life.â€

Coaching in middle Tennessee just got beefed up...

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/wells-named-ba-wrestling-coach

Pic

FIND A SCHOOL

WRESTLING

Wells named BA wrestling coach

By Staff reports, The Tennessean March 15, 2016

Pic

Scott Wells (left) was named the new Brentwood Academy wrestling coach Tuesday.

After earning a Super Bowl ring and spending more than a decade in the NFL, Brentwood Academy alumnus Scott Wells is returning home to be the wrestling coach at his alma mater.

“It is an honor to have Scott back at BA in this role,†Brentwood Academy athletic director Cody White said in a statement. “I have gotten to know him better over the past year as he has helped out with our middle football program. There is no doubt that his character and devotion to the school’s mission will be huge assets to the young men who participate in our wrestling program.â€

Wells is a 1999 graduate of Brentwood Academy.

While there, Wells went unbeaten during his wrestling career with the Eagles and took home the state championship in his weight class in 1998 and 1999.

While being a standout wrestler and racking up the awards on the mat, Wells was just as impressive on the gridiron.

He was named Mr. Football Lineman in 1998, then went on to play football for the University of Tennessee before being taken in the seventh round of the 2004 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers, where he was a part of the team that won Super Bowl XLV.

He finished his playing career with the St. Louis Rams in 2014.

Despite his success with his professional football career, Wells likes the opportunities wrestling provides to share life lessons.

“Wrestling is a sport like no other,†Well said in a statement. “It requires you to push yourself beyond the breaking point on a daily basis in pursuit of greatness. Lessons are taught on the wrestling mat that carry over into every aspect of your life.â€

Wonder if the Football Coaches are going to give him any hassle about getting players out to Wrestle....lol

Good question Pummel... If BA wants better tacklers, more NFL All Stars, possible yes and ahhhhh moment like Shadowens had years ago.

Plethora of 2015-16 Tidbits Anticipated matchups from Flo...

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/40246-flofilms-ncaa-championships

Most Intriguing Match-Ups of 2016 NCAA's

This season has brought us some exceptional wrestling, emerging talent, and unexpected turns in the pecking order.

One of the great things about the NCAA tournament is that it's so darn deep and tough. No one is safe and the old saying of "anything can happen" isn't a cliche, but a reality. In that respect, it's a little scary to project matches well into the tournament; they might not even materialize. 

But the possibilities are just too juicy. In that spirit...

...let us set the context for some of the most anticipated matches sure to have MSG on their feet.

13. 133 Semifinal: #2-Cory Clark vs. #3-Zane Richards

The Story: Illinois Zane Richards beat Iowa's Cory Clark, 5-3, on January 8th. The win was significant enough - both these guys were among the top contenders for a title this year. But it was Richards' now-famous quote in the post-match interview where he said Clark isn't 'in the same league as me'. Clark felt otherwise and knocked off Richards in their next meeting - the Big Ten finals. The rubber match will be tense and chippy and for a spot on Saturday night's big stage.

12. 141 Quarterfinal: #1-Dean Heil vs. #8-Joey Ward

The Story: Heil has been uber consistent all season, beating #2-Joey McKenna not once, but twice, and also beating #3-Kevin Jack. So consistent was Heil, that he has just one lone loss. To, you guessed it, Joey Ward (below). Ward will have to get through a tough Ricky Durso, a former All American.

11. 174: #11-Myles Martin vs. Everyone

The Story: Martin was a blue chip recruit in last year's class. The rumors of him having his redshirt pulled and stepping in as a true freshman swirled into December when he lost an entertaining bout to Bo Nickal. He lost to Bo again at Big Ten's but finished 3rd. He comes into NCAA's with a 28-6 record and looking like one of those freshmen who has figured it out as the season has gone on. Could he make a deep run? His early path includes #6-Bryce Hammond and then in the quarterfinals #3-Blaise Butler. 

10. 184 Quarterfinal: #3-Vic Avery vs. #6-Blake Stauffer

The Story: This is one of those 'quietly good' matches. This was the 3rd place bout (won by Avery, 3-2) at last year's NCAA's. Avery also won in OT at the Edinboro Open this year.While their previous matches haven't been the most thrilling bouts ever, Avery and Stauffer could meet again in the incredibly important quarterfinal that guarantees AA status.

9. 165 Semifinal: #1-Alex Dieringer vs. #4-Daniel Lewis

The Story: Alex Dieringer has been nothing short of spectacular. He enters as the two-time defending champ with a grand total of 1 loss in his three years at the NCAA's. He's been the country's P4P leader for the better part of two years, and largely the face of the country's most historic program, if not the entirety of NCAA wrestling.But in a dual this year, a Missouri freshman raised eyebrows. He gave Dieringer his closest match of the year, riding the tar out of him in a 4-3 bout. I'm sure everyone is confident in taking Dieringer comfortably in this go 'round. I am. But I'm also excited to see a rematch with the only wrestler to make Ringer look anything less than mortal in years.

8. 165 Semifinal: #2-Isaac Jordan vs. #3-Bo Jordan

The Story: Jordan on Jordan crime. Cousins Isaac and Bo have met three times in college with Isaac sweeping the series. He won in their dual in January and in each of the last two Big Ten finals. Each Isaac win seems to be more convincing than the last. But you know how the saying goes; it's difficult to keep beating the same opponent - especially when he's as tough as Bo.Last year at NCAA's, the two could have met again. Isaac lost to Nick Sulzer and dropped to the 7th place match. Sulzer's next match was against Bo, who won and went on to take 3rd. 

7. 197 Final: #1-Morgan McIntosh vs. #2-J'Den Cox

The Story: Other than a DQ that Cox incurred during a match when he slammed Phil Wellington, these two guys each come in undefeated. Someone could get their only loss of the season in their last match. For McIntosh, it would be the last match of his career. For Cox, he could add a second NCAA title in three tries.

McIntosh beat Cox, 3-1, in consi semi's last year.

6. 174 Final: Bo Nickal vs. #2-Brian Realbuto

The Story: Everyone knew good Bo Nickal was good. The blue chipper out of Texas had an abbreviated but encouraging redshirt freshman campaign. And he started this year off with a win over returning All American Zach Epperly. But it wasn't until the Southern Scuffle that we learned just how good Bo was at the present time. When he won a wild, scrambly bout with returning NCAA finalist Brian Realbuto, we knew Bo had 'arrived'. Then he capped it off with a win over another NCAA semifinalist in Ethan Ramos.Realbuto scored on Bo. And Realbuto didn't look particularly pleased at the conclusion of the Scuffle. And, of course, Realbuto isn't going to want to get to Saturday night's big stage and come up empty again. If this match materializes, expect a show.

5. 157 Quarterfinal: #4-Ian Miller vs. #5-Dylan Palacio

The Story: Two of the most active, improvising wrestling...enigmas. These guys let it fly. The general feeling is they could lose any match but could win against even the elite. What is never up for debate is how exciting their matches are. And we could see them against each other. Friday. Morning. About Noon. Don't miss it.

4. 133 Semifinal: #1-Nahshon Garrett vs. #4-Cody Brewer

The Story: Christian likes to tease me about my 'when the lights are on' theory. But facts are facts, and Cody Brewer has a history of rising to the occasion. Last year he set the wrestling world on fire by torching the field and capturing an NCAA title in the most dominant of fashions. Nahshon has been nothing short of amazing this year after moving up to 133. The former 125lb NCAA finalist showed the weight jump did wonders when he beat Brewer in the finals in Vegas in December.

Both guys score. Both guys scramble. If the match below is any indication, wrestling fans will be surely entertained.

3. 125 Semifinal: #1-Nathan Tomasello vs. #4-Thomas Gilman

The Story: Gilman has largely owned the lifetime series with NATO, preventing him from making a couple World Teams at the Cadet and Junior levels and then winning their first college bout against each other. But that was NATO's last loss. In the Big Ten finals of 2015, Tomasello cut down on the number of his attacks and won a gritty match. Gilman could have met him in the finals last year but was upset by Zeke Moisey in the semi's. If they meet on Friday night, expect a heart-in-your-throat type intensity.

2. 157 Final: #1-Isaiah Martinez vs. #3-Jason Nolf

The Story: You know the story. Phenom Isaiah Martinez runs the gauntlet going undefeated and winning a national title as a freshman. Phenom Jason Nolf wrecks everyone leading to the Illinois-Penn State dual meet and a Nolf-Martinez showdown where Nolf shocks the world and pins IMAR. At Big Ten's IMAR gets revenge in one of the most exciting matches without a takedown (or was there?) that you'll ever see. NC State's undefeated Tommy Gantt looms for Nolf in the semi's, but IMAR-Nolf on Saturday night is mouth-watering.

1. 285 Final: #1-Nick Gwiazdowski vs. Kyle Snyder

The Story: Gwiazdowski is one of the most dominant heavyweights of all time. He won his first NCAA title by dethroning a reigning two-timer going for his third. Can Kyle Snyder, who just dominated last year's NCAA runner-up, deal Gwiz the same fate Gwiz dealt Tony Nelson in 2014? A heavyweight legend in his home state in Madison Square Garden against the youngest World Champion in American history who ceremoniously announced his return to college wrestling on New Year's Eve? This isn't just one of the most anticipated match-ups of the year. It's one of the most hoped for NCAA finals matches ever.

25 COMMENTS

Crescenzo Fano from Facebook14 hours ago

How about gwh vs earl hall. I wanna see that happen again

dmm5318 hours ago

Let's be utterly frank.   Dieringer is not especially exciting.  Same with Bo Jordan and his cousin.  Slow muscular paint drying.   The exciting weights this year are:  125, 141, 157, (!)   and 174 (formerly a grind).   133, 197, and 285 also hold intrigue and promise.   Retherford is dominant.  Dean is the top dog unless something very strange happens.  

The team race is where the action is.  Enjoy.  Cast you enthusiasm.  In the end, it matters not.  Wait. And you bloody well know it.  

barrett1492 hours ago

@dmm53 You are nuts.  Dieringer puts up huge points.  He has been held under 8 points a total of 5 times in the last two years (60 matches).  He probably has as many feet to back pins as anyone in college wrestling this year. 

He's coming off a warmup match and Dean isn't. Makes a big difference. At that stage it's anyone's day. He took 4th as a freshman and barely missed placing last year. He'll be just fine. Couple point match.

FloTeam Makes NCAA Championship Picks

Photo: PSU Athletics

As all of us do at this time of the year, we made our picks for who we think has the best shot at taking home the NCAA title in each weight class. Take a look at who the FloTeam sees standing atop the podium. 

And as always, put your picks in the comments or for a chance to win a $150 Cliff Keen gift card, enter Cliff Keen's National Championship Pick 'Em Contest

Most Dramatic Moments Of The 2015 NCAA Tourny

Photo: Tony Rotundo

Every year the NCAA Tournament is the greatest wrestling show this country has to offer, and this year there's no bigger stage for it. "The World's Most Famous Arena," Madison Square Garden plays host to #MarchMatness for the first time. 

If you could only use one word to describe the NCAA Wrestling Tournament to someone who has never seen it would, "dramatic." Every year we are treated to storylines, upsets, controversy, and moments we will never forget that Hollywood couldn't even write. Before those moments take place this year, let's take a look back at the most dramatic moments of the 2015 NCAA Wrestling Tournament. 

The Comeback Of The Tournament

Mastriani entered the NCAA Tournament as the 7-seed, and quickly found himself in 7-0 first period hole, and 9-2 third period deficit with just 50 seconds remaining. Mastriani didn’t put panic, he just put his head down and went to work. Mastriani forced sudden victory with a takedown in the closing seconds, and then came out on top of a scramble in OT to complete the best comeback of last year’s NCAA Tournament. 

The Ups and Downs Of The Blood Round

Year in and year out the blood round is maybe the most exhilarating round of the tournament. It is a roller coaster ride of pure joy after achieving All-American status, and the heartbreak of being so close and having your dream crushed. No match last year encompassed those emotions more than Dan Neff and Tywan Claxton. In the final tiebreaker trailing by a point with 5 seconds left, Neff executed a perfect granby to score a reversal as time ran out. 

Kevin Jack Out Of Nowhere

Heading into the NCAA Tournament, everyone expected a rematch of the 2014 NCAA Finals between Devin Carter and Logan Stieber in the semis, but someone forget to tell that to Kevin Jack. An unseeded true freshman Jack had his redshirt pulled a month before the tournament, and caught fire when it mattered most and shocked the wrestling world. Jack upset 5-seed Josh Dziews of Iowa in round 1, 12-seed Joey Ward of North Carolina in round 2, and pulled one of the biggest upsets of the tournament with his thrilling win over returning finalist Devin Carter. Jack quickly became a household name.  

Tomasello Gets Revenge

After losing to Waters earlier in the season, Tomasello had a game plan this time around. Instead of going underneath Waters like he had last time, Tomasello took neutral in the third, and picked up two takedowns, including one in the last ten seconds to punch his ticket to the finals. It also had huge team race implications as Ohio State picked up big finals points. 

Dylan Ness Says Goodbye

For four years Dylan Ness won the hearts of wrestling fans across the country with his wide open exciting style of wrestling. It was a style wrestling needed, and one that wrestling fans hated to say goodbye too. After suffering an injury in the semifinals to Brian Realbuto, Dylan Ness came out Saturday morning to say goodbye to the Minnesota faithful, and received a standing ovation from the 18,000 in the attendance. 

“I just want some ice cream."

It wasn’t the fact that Kyven Gadson beat Kyle Snyder, but in the way that he did it. Gadson electrified St Louis with his patended “Gadson†and pinned the young buck. Garson followed that up by hitting the whip, and by telling the world he just wanted some ice cream.

#FreeIanMiller

The scoring debacle heard round the world. Ian Miller beat Brian Realbuto, but at the same time really didn’t. Knowing that score was wrong, Kent State coaches tried to talk to the officials about the error, but were told to sit down. Miller should have won the match 10-9, and it never should have gone to sudden victory. The NCAA admitted there was a scoring error, but because the Kent State coaches never challenged they decided to uphold the decision of the match. Realbuto went on to make the finals, while Miller finished fourth. Hear the explanation from the NCAA, Kent State head coachJim Andrassy, and Ian Miller himself. 

Zeke Moisey With No Regard For Human Life

From unseeded to an NCAA finalist. Zeke Moisey was the story of NCAA tournament last season, and capped his cinderella run off with the moment of the tournament. Moisey needed just 52 seconds to pack heavy favorite Thomas Gilman of Iowa, and cause the roof to come off of the place.

booster1 hour ago

you need to feed the hamsters that run your servers more...every video pauses

LikeReply

robert.gillespie9 hours ago

"Moisey with no regard for human life" is an awesome header :)

EVENT HUB

Top 10 Stories Of The 2015-16 NCAA Wrestling Season

Photo: Mark Lundy

10. Bo Nickal blitzes loaded Scuffle field. 

Bo Nickal wasn’t always the runaway choice to win 174.  We maybe got an inkling it could happen when to picked apart Zach Epperly, but we needed to see more.  Nickal not only won convincingly, he won a tournament with #1 and #2 at 174 in the field. Bo took the #1 spot and hasn’t looked back.

9. Jimmy Gulibon goes from #1 to unranked.

Gulibon fell out of the rankings about as fast as you possibly can.  It started with a loss to Chishko, then McKenna then after a shaky Scuffle where he lost to two back ups Zac Hall and Cortland Schuyler he was out.  Gulibon showed signs of life at Big 10’s making the finals.

8. Joseph Smith’s redshirt gets pulled. 

The saga is more then just Joe, the son of OSU head coach John Smith, starting for the Cowboys.  It’s the arc of the story that makes it more interesting.  Starting the year 4-time PA champ Chance Marsteller was tabbed the starter.  He dropped early matches to Smith and showed signs of being unable to compete effectively at 157.  As time went on, the PA legend Marsteller had to be benched for Smith who made the finals at Reno and the Scuffle falling only to IMAR and Nolf in competitive matches.

7. Kaid Brock pinfalls NCAA Champion Brewer.

How much more dramatic can a debut be?  Brock’s redshirt gets pulled for Bedlam.  Standing opposite Brock was last years NCAA Champion, Cody Brewer.  Brock hits a pass by right away for 2, cuts, and then goes upper body for the pin over the NCAA Champ.  Sadly Brock’s season came to an end when he hurt his knee against Nahshon Garrett at the Southern Scuffle.

6. Kevin Dresser calls out Iowa Coaching staff and NWCA.

The NWCA National Duals garnered more attention than ever this year.  The wrestling was outstanding, but the drama sent this one to new heights.  Unpleased with VT’s spot in the National Duals, Dresser called out the Brands Brothers for allegedly refusing to wrestle Virginia Tech in the National Duals.

5. NC State beats Iowa at Carver-Hawkeye.

The whole point of the Dresser/Brands Orange-gate was that everyone (myself included) felt NC State was a much better match up for Iowa.  NC State went in there and not only won the bonus point battle, but sent the fans heading for the parking lot in the middle of the final match.  

4. Gabe Dean falls to Nolan Boyd.

Dean was in the middle of the Hodge race when Oklahoma State came to Cornell and took down the Big Red.  The whole team looked a bit off to me.  Dean fell in what turned out to be a fairly one sided match. Since that time, Dean has looked as good as ever.

3. Jason Nolf pins Isaiah Martinez.

It wasn’t just that it happened, it was the build up.  We all saw this collision coming for months.  Nolf came out the gates looking amazing, as did IMAR.  So the chatter built more and more as time went on.  Then the match happens, it’s back and forth til the final pin for Nolf.  Their rematch was almost as dramatic in the Big 10 finals.  Round 3 coming this week at MSG?  

2.  Kyle Snyder comes out of Olympic Redshirt.

There aren’t many years where a World Champion coming out of Olympic Redshirt to take on the reigning 2-time heavyweight champ wouldn’t be #1.  This year it is. Kyle Snyder’s change of plans mid-year threw a wrench in the works for the team race as well as the 285 landscape where Gwiazdowski looked to be a runaway.  In only 6 matches, Snyder looks as scary as it gets, having matches that resemble drill-sessions more than competitive bouts. 

1. 1/14/15 - Grapple on the Gridiron:

It was perhaps the most attended match in wrestling history.  Iowa made it happen putting 42,000+ into a raucous Kinnick Stadium in Iowa.  Oklahoma State agreed to the match to add an additional layer.  Depending on the poll these were the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country, from the two most storied programs in the nation. Then a match went down that delivered high quality wrestling and plenty of incredible moments. It was historic and a runaway for the #1 story of the year.

197 NCAA Preview - J'Den Back On Top

This is FloPRO content. 

Join Now or Log In for instant access!

JOIN NOW

Already have a FloPRO account? Log In

This weight has had 2 big dogs coming into the year that looked to be significant favorites coming into the season. Nothing really has changed on that front as rivals J’Den Cox of Missouri and Morgan McIntosh from PSU have been unblemished throughout (Save J’Den’s DQ against Wellington). There’s rea

EVENT HUB

FloFilms: NCAA Championships

FloFilms: NCAA Championships

Mar 10, 2017

Mark Bader

The Iowa Hawkeyes opened up their doors for the first ever FloFilms feature four years ago and, The Program: Iowa â€‹was born.

Since that time we have increased our focus and emphasis on creating these documentary series that tell the in-depth stories of the biggest programs and brightest stars in our sport. With NCAA Wrestling Championship week upon us, we invite you to sit back, relax, and enjoy some of the best NCAA stories that have been told on FloWrestling.

Driven: The Vengence of Mark Perry

Born and raised in Stillwater, OK, it was a foregone conclusion that Mark Perrywould end up in the Oklahoma State orange. Then he did the unthinkable when he went to OSU's bitter rival, Iowa. Within the rivalry between the Hawkeyes and Cowboys was a rivalry between Perry and Johny Hendricks, who was recruited by Perry's uncle, and OSU head coach,John Smith, instead of Mark. Perry lost to Hendricks every time they wrestled until their final meeting in the NCAA finals where one of the most dramatic finishes in NCAA finals history took place. This video was a breakthrough feature for FloWrestling and was a sign of things to come.

The Story of Cary Kolat

Destin for greatness, Cary Kolat was untouchable in the state of Pennsylvania. From a young age Kolat was dominant. He was pushed to extremes by his father, who once brought a cattle prod to practice. After an undefeated high school career, Kolat went to Penn State, where he finished 2nd and 3rd at the NCAA tournament as a freshman and sophomore which was failure in his eye. After unfavorable finishes, he transferred to Lock Haven and won two NCAA titles, but it wasn't the storybook ending that Mark Perry experienced. Kolat was ready to be done with college wrestling and focus on freestyle. But he had no idea what was in store for him at the World and Olympic tournaments, but it would forever change his life.​ 

The Program (Iowa): Down 36

"The Program" at Iowa was the very first FloFilms feature done back in the fall of 2012. The Hawkeyes were coming off a 3rd place finish at the 2012 NCAA Championships and were gunning for returning champions, Penn State. In this episode, Tom Brands makes it very clear that the expectation every single year at Iowa is the same; to win the NCAA Championship. It is a very similar situation this year as Penn State heads into the NCAA Championships as the heavy favorite and Iowa is striving to overcome them.

The Life of Nahshon Garrett

Nahshon Garrett is an amazing wrestler and the favorite to take home the 133lbs NCAA title this year. The product of an unstable upbringing, Nahshon has defied the odds to not only make it into college and wrestle, but become a three-time All-American, who looks to cap off his career with gold. This moving episode will help you gain a whole new level of respect and understanding for what Nahshon Garrett has been through and who he is. How can you not be a fan of this guy?

Magic Man: The Genesis

One of the most dominant and popular college wrestlers of the 21st century, David Taylor has a wrestling style and personality that has resonated with the wrestling community. As a freshman, he entered the NCAA finals undefeated but was pinned by former teammate Bubba Jenkins. A year later he dominated his way to the title, recording a tech fall in the finals and was instrumental in helping propel Penn State to four straight NCAA team titles during his career. Watch the Magic Man get stitches, play Madden, and have a sandwich named after him at a local restaurant near Penn State.

The Program (Ohio State): The Freshmen

In a rare case last year, the Ohio State wrestling team voted three freshmen as captains of their team. What was even rarer is that those three freshmen placed first, second and third at NCAA's and the Buckeyes brought home the NCAA team title. Kyle Snyder,Nathan Tomasello, and Bo Jordan all came to Ohio State to be national champions, both as individuals and a team. In this episode, you will find out what makes these three young men so mature, driven and ready to lead. The success of these three was instrumental in Ohio State's team national championship.

To heck and Back: Isaiah Martinez

Break out the tissues for this one. Just before the start of his freshman season,Isaiah Martinez found out that his father had stage four liver cancer.Martinez let the situation motivate him to win for his dad, who was his wrestling coach when he was a child. Imar did what nobody had done since Cael Sanderson, he ran the table and was an undefeated NCAA Champion as a freshman. In this episode, we see Isaiah in a Skype session with his dad, which we now know was one of their final interactions. His father passed away one day after the first episodeaired. Like I said, break out the tissues, you're going to need them.

Kyle Dake: The G.O.A.T

Four NCAA titles at four different weights. It had never been done until Cornell's Kyle Dake did it. Some have considered him the greatest of all time; "The G.O.A.T." We visit with the champ during his senior campaign as he prepares for his final run at NCAA's. The matches that Dake had with David Taylor, to that point, had all been razor thin victories for him. Once again, the two best wrestlers in all of college wrestling were on a collision course for the NCAA finals.

The Program (Edinburg): The Conception

How did a small school like Edinboro come to be a force in division one wrestling? It's an interesting story. Former athletic director Jim McDonald was sick of seeing his wrestling team get beat so he called Dan Gable for some advice. McDonald took that advice and ran. He brought in Bruce Baumgartner and Mike Deanna to build the program from scratch. McDonald worked endlessly with the two up and coming coaches and after years of scratching and clawing, Edinboro has defied the odds to become a traditionally strong Division I program. 

Tony Ramos: The Kid Likes To Fight

Attitude. If there is one wrestler who has attitude, it's Tony Ramos. The Hawkeye graduate and 2x World Team member wrestles with a snarl on his face and a chip on his shoulder. But his persona on the mat doesn't necessarily follow him off the mat. Ramos was third as a sophomore, second as a junior and capped off his college wrestling career with an overtime win in the NCAA finals. Had he fallen short in that match he likely would have retired, but instead he has become the guy to beat and the favorite to make the 2016 Olympic Team.

Logan Stieber: The Most Dominant Wrestler

Logan Stieber wasn't far behind Kyle Dake on the 4x NCAA train. After taking out Jordan Oliver in a controversial NCAA finals win, Stieber came back on the scene the next year and became very dominant. We get to follow along a day in the life of Logan Stieber for an inside look at, what we now know, was the building of an NCAA championship team.

Chris Perry: Obsessed

All you need to do is look into the eyes of Chris Perry to know he is obsessed with wrestling and winning. He came from the greatest American wrestling family and competed for the most successful college program ever. Coming into college, Perry was very confident in himself, but he was quickly humbled. After coming up short, not just once, but twice, at the NCAA Championships, he finally captured an NCAA title in dramatic fashion as a junior. 

All Access (MIZZOU): One More

Take a behind the scenes look at the NCAA Championships through the lens of the Missouri Tigers. When Brian Smith took over the program, Missouri was the doormat of the Big 12, but 17 years later they entered the NCAA tournament ranked #1 looking for their first team title. This series will help you feel the roller coaster of emotions that this tournament can evoke. From the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in a matter of minutes, the NCAA Wrestling Championship is the greatest sporting event on the planet.

Gabe Dean: Being  Giant Killer Wasn't Enough

If you look at Gabe Dean right now, you see the returning NCAA Champ, who appears as though he is going to repeat this year. But things weren't always so bright for the Cornell junior. Gabe had his struggles early on in college and even wanted to quit at one point. Dean obviously didn't quit as he ended up making a huge splash at the Southern Scuffle his freshman year when he defeated Ed Ruth, who was riding an 84-match winning streak at the time.

Minnesota: Keepers Of The Flame

Legendary head coach J Robinson had a falling out at Iowa and resigned his position coaching alongside Dan Gable. In 1984, he took over a struggling Minnesota program that had finished 34th the year prior. But Robinson had a plan and a vision, and he got to work immediately. Marty Morgan won an individual NCAA title in 1991 and then in the late 90's Tim Hartung, Chad Kraft, and Brock Lesnar started paving the way for Minnesota to bring home NCAA team trophies. After coming up just short more times than they would have liked, Minnesota had a fairytale ending at the 2001 NCAA Championships, winning the team title and having an All-American at every weight. 

TERRY

This list would not be complete without the greatest wrestling film ever made. TERRY has made waves throughout the wrestling world. Terry Brands was a two-time NCAA champ and much like his international career, it is the losses that he thinks about more today than the wins. Get a thorough understanding of what makes Terry Brands the person he is. Intense. Competitive. Stubborn. Caring. Thoughtful. Driven.

This is literally the best wrestling content ever produced on the entire planet. Do yourself a favor and sign up for FloPro today. You will not be disappointed.

If you get through all of these episodes and need some more suggestions hit me up @marksbader.

1 COMMENT

POST COMMENT

Newest | Oldest | Hot Threads

SamIsAllOuttaGum10 hours ago

FloPro here, but I won't be forever for money reasons... Any opportunity to purchase a dvd/blu-ray of Terry?  Such an excellent documentary!

1LikeReply

Peaking For The NCAA Championships

Mar 15, 2016

Brock Hite

184 NCAA Preview - The Toughest Of Them All

Mar 15, 2016

Christian Pyles

Each and every year it’s a common fan discussion: Which is the toughest weight? I believe that this year (and maybe last year) we have seen 184 as the toughest weight. Not only does it have the depth that rivals 141, but it has proven competitors across the board. While this weight has a big favorit

Can't Miss Round 1 Matches

Mar 15, 2016

Christian Pyles

174 NCAA Preview - The Weight Of Entertainement

Mar 15, 2016

Christian Pyles

Check out the 174 pound NCAA Preview!

Boykin got UTC's only championship-bracket victory with a 7-4 decision over 15th-seeded Nate Rotert of South Dakota State. In the first consolation round, Pongracz upset 10th-seeded Todd Preston from Harvard and Mappes upset two-time All-American Brian Realbuto, a No. 2 seed from Cornell.

Five of UTC's six NCAA representatives are expected back next season, with only Lampe graduating. Shakur was named the Southern Conference's freshman of the year prior to receiving the outstanding wrestler award at the SoCon tournament. The Mocs also will welcome the return of freshman 133-pounder Chris DeBien from Cleveland, who missed the second half of the season due to a knee injury.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/mar/20/mocs-finish-ncawrestling-run/356173/

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's six-wrestler run in the 2016 NCAA tournament has ended.

Scottie Boykin was the last Moc standing Friday, but then he fell to Rider's Ryan Wolfe 7-5 in the 197-pound consolation bracket at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Fellow juniors Mike Pongrancz (141) and Sean Mappes (174) were the only other Mocs to advance from Thursday's action, the tournament's first day. Kamaal Shakur (157), John Lampe (184) and Jared Johnson (285) were eliminated Thursday night.

Pongracz was eliminated by a 7-4 loss to Franklin & Marshall's Rick Durso, and Mappes was put out when he lost by major decision (13-3) to Nebraska's Micah Barnes.

What a shame Millhof and Russell had to meet in the 2nd round of NCAA.......teammates for 3 years at Collins Hill.  Millhof made All-American and was the first from Gwinnett County.  

Some of you guys may remember me from the CH glory days........well...take my word...keep an eye on 2 schools from down here.  Buford High School and Mountain View High School.  Buford is starting to get things rolling and if you know who Coach Ramos is from Collins Hill, he is now an assistant at Mountain View....they are headed up.  

RMC

"What a shame Millhof and Russell had to meet in the 2nd round of NCAA.......teammates for 3 years at Collins Hill. Millhof made All-American and was the first from Gwinnett County.

Some of you guys may remember me from the CH glory days........well...take my word...keep an eye on 2 schools from down here. Buford High School and Mountain View High School. Buford is starting to get things rolling and if you know who Coach Ramos is from Collins Hill, he is now an assistant at Mountain View....they are headed up."

RMC,

Glad to see you're still alive and kickin down there in that NE side of hotlanta...

Ramos is a fine human being and sorta reminds me of Union Co Ky's Ervin and his passion for the sport.

Archer reloading? Pope?

Edited by Sommers

What a hotbed for wrestling this area has become!!

A little throw back...

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/collins-hill-s-millhof-wins-super-title/article_e5ee4614-81f3-55f2-9f4b-079e72220c93.html

Collins Hill's Millhof wins Super 32 title

Brandon Brigman 

Oct 21, 2012  (0)

Collins Hill wrestler Ryan Millhof will have bragging rights over teammate Sean Russell when practice begins next week.

The duo met in the finals of the prestigious Super 32 tournament on Sunday in Greensboro, N.C. and Millhof pulled off a 1-0 victory over Russell to win the 113-pound weight class.

"It means everything (to win it)," Millhof said on Monday. "It's one of the best feelings in the world."

Buford's Chip Ness, a two-time state champion, placed fourth in the 182-pound bracket. Ness lost to West Virginia's Jared Haught 2-1 in overtime.

Pope's Trevor Stevens was the only other Georgia wrestler to place in the tournament, taking fifth place in the 220-pound division.

Millhof and Russell grew up going to wrestling tournaments together. The duo faced each other in 103-pound Class AAAAA state championship match in 2011 when Millhof was at Archer and Russell won.

"We're not trying to live in the past," Millhof said. "I wouldn't call it redemption. We just happened to meet in the finals."

Super 32 is one the nation's premier preseason wrestling tournaments. Millhof is the second Georgia wrestler to win the coveted belt, joining Central Gwinnett's Jacob Aiken-Phillips.

"He was a buddy of mine," Millhof said. "I'm thankful I get to bring Georgia a little recognition now."

The title completes an outstanding 2012 of wrestling for Millhof. The junior captured his first high school state championship in February, won the NHSCA sophomore national championship in April and now has the Super 32 title after placing third a year ago.

"It's definitely the toughest tournament I've been in," Millhof said. "You're hitting guys from all over the country."

Collins Hill is the five-time defending traditional state champions and begins practice next Monday.

• Upvote 1