Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Blackman's Fowler (Landon's little bro) gets mention up in Rochester, NY...

Casper defeated Hudson Waldrop (Alabama) 7-0 in the round of 32 and then defeated Logan Fowler of Tennessee 5-2 in the round of 16 before falling to eventual champion Marc-Anthony McGowen of Florida in the quarterfinals.

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/wrestling-runfola-young-stewart-earn-all-american-status-20180327

Batavia’s Stewart also hits the All-American podium
Batavia’s Casper Stewart became Batavia’s second-ever All-American with a fourth place finish in the Middle School Division at 88 pounds at the NHSCA Nationals in Virginia Beach over the weekend joining fellow GLOW-area grapplers Chase Runfola (Junior Division) and Nick Young (Senior Division) on the All-American podium Sunday .

Casper defeated Hudson Waldrop (Alabama) 7-0 in the round of 32 and then defeated Logan Fowler of Tennessee 5-2 in the round of 16 before falling to eventual champion Marc-Anthony McGowen of Florida in the quarterfinals.

In the All-American round of wrestle backs Casper defeated Hayden Whidden of Florida by a pinfall in 38 seconds and then defeated Bryce Lowry of Indiana 4-0 to advance to consi-semifinals where he beat Shaymus McIntosh of Massachusetts with a pinfall in 2:32. Stewart dropped his third place match by a 9-4 score to Pennsylvania’s Sean Logue.

Fine UTC recruit gets some big time...

http://www.lewistownsentinel.com/sports/pa-sports-apwire/2018/03/iowa-united-states-victorious/

Edited by Sommers

Former UTC Coach (Sonoraville High School in Calhoun Georgia) gets honored in Iowa...

http://www.lewistownsentinel.com/sports/pa-sports-apwire/2018/03/iowa-united-states-victorious/

Four former wrestlers with roots in the state of Iowa -- Steve Hamilton, Shane Light, Kirk Myers, and Lennie Zalesky 

Emmetsburg Native Named To Iowa Wrestling Hall Of Fame

March 27, 2018
by Dan Voigt , Emmetsburg News
Save | Post a comment |            

A former Emmetsburg prep wrestling standout will be inducted into the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame next month. Steve Hamilton will join Emmetsburg native Jeff Kerber and former Emmetsburg coaches Bob Roethler and Bob Kenny in the Hall of Fame during the 49th annual Hall of Fame Induction ceremonies, which will take place Monday, April 9, in Cresco.

Hamilton will join three other individuals being inducted into the state's wrestling hall of fame, including Shane Light, Kirk Myers and Lennie Zalesky.

Steve Hamilton was a two-time state champion wrestling for the Emmetsburg E-Hawks, graduating in 1988. He then went on to become a four-time All American Wrestler at Iowa State University.

Article Photos

529503_1.jpg

HAMILTON?TO?BE?HONORED - Former Emmetsburg E-Hawk wrestling standout Steve Hamilton, pictured during his collegiate career at Iowa State University, will be enshrined in the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame in June of this year. Hamilton was a two-time state champion for Emmetsburg High School during his prep wrestling career. -- submitted photo

As a college competitor, Hamilton was known as one of the top wrestlers in Iowa State history. He was one of six Cyclone wrestlers to earn All-America honors four times, competing from 1988 to 1992. Wrestling at 158 pounds during his freshman and sophomore years, he placed seventh and third, respectively. Hamilton dropped down to 150 pounds during his junior and senior campaign. Hamilton was voted ISU's Most Valuable Wrestler as a junior and senior, graduating in 1992 with a Bachelor's Degree in History.

Following graduation from ISU, Hamilton joined the coaching staff of Coach Mark Manning at the University of Northern Iowa for three years and then followed Manning to the University of Nebraska for two years before moving to the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga before becoming Bluejay head coach in 2007, a position he kept through the 2011, after which he left to continue his coaching career in Georgia and then returning to high school coaching.

In addition to his coaching stints, Hamilton was victorious at the Olympic Trials South and the Michigan International Open. He placed fifth at the 1995 Grand Prix Slovakia, and he took second and third at the Sunkist Open in 1993 and 1994, respectively. Hamilton was a member of the 1993 U.S. Freestyle Team after placing third at the World Team Trials. He also placed fifth at the U.S. Nationals in 1993 and eighth in 1994.

Being inducted into the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame, Hamilton will join fellow E-Hawk alumnus Jeff Kerber, a 2007 inductee, as well as former E-Hawk wrestling Coach Bob Roethler, who was inducted in 2010, and former E-Hawk Coach Bob Kenny, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2013.

The induction ceremonies are set for 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 9, at the Cresco Country Club in Cresco. A social hour will precede the induction ceremonies at 5:30 p.m.

The Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame's sole purpose is the promotion of amateur wrestling in Iowa. The IWHOF has a rich history of honoring native Iowans at the annual awards banquet and induction ceremonies. The inaugural induction ceremonies were held in 1970 and with the Class of 2018, a total of 129 outstanding Iowans will have been enshrined and recognized for their contributions to amateur wrestling in Iowa.

For more information on the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame, go to:

www.iowawrestlinghalloffame.com

The University Echo

SoCon Wrestler of the Year, Bryce Carr

Carr_Bryce-1.jpg (Photo contributed by Chattanooga Athletics)

By Jay McDaniel, Assistant Sports Editor –

Senior wrestler Bryce Carr, Dublin, Georgia, was named as the Southern Conference Wrestler of the Year for his performance in the 2017-18 season.

Carr was named the SoCon Wrestler of the Year on February 28.

“It felt good. It’s what we train for. It’s definitely a nice accomplishment,” Bryce said. “I think I was in class. I wasn’t really thinking about it, it was just something that happened.”

Carr performed incredibly well throughout the season, finishing with a 26-5 record. His only  losses were to opponents ranked in the top 11. He finished third at the Southern Scuffle for the second year in a row, earning himself the title of SoCon Wrestler of the Week and Wrestler of the Month. He won the Hokie Open, which got him another Wrestler of the Week title. He also won the Black Knight Invite along with his teammate Scottie Boykin, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and on top of all that, Carr made the Dean’s List in the fall.

Bryce’s most memorable moments in wrestling at UTC range from walking into the Virginia Tech match from this season all the way to watching UTC Junior Connor Tolley, Franklin, Indiana, pull off a pin in his first match back on Senior Night.

“Really all of the summer training, too. Just being with the guys. Like the bus rides and stuff, that’s what I’ll miss the most,” Carr said.

When it’s all said and done, his favorite memory from this season was an overtime match at Nationals.  

“That was just a big turning point. I’ve lost a lot of one point matches and it was probably one of the biggest matches of my career. It just felt nice to get over the hump,” Carr said.

In the 2018 SoCon Championships, Carr was the SoCon Champion. He started the finals against Appalachian State’s Alan Clothier, and finished it with a victory over The Citadel’s Michael Lopouchanski. He’s glad that accomplishment along with many others give his teammates reasons to see him as a leader.

“Always growing up, I always tried to be that leader. I’ve always been making sure my actions are what other people should be doing. It felt nice that people look up to me, it’s a trait I’ve always tried to have,” Carr reflected.

Carr is looked up to as many of the guys on the team, and he knows how much that means and how he’ll be remembered.

Related News
jared-240x150.jpg
Johnson reflects on journey to the topMasthead-FINAL-FINAL.jpgClick here to visit The University of Tennessee Chattanooga's websit

-----------------------------------

15e06dde-aac1-11e6-b5fb-7fc51eba8fa2.pngFrom redshirt to All American: How Nick Lee gave Penn State wrestling a boost as a freshman

Penn State's Nick Lee puts Iowa's Vince Turk in the match at the Bryce Jordan Center on Feb. 10, 2018.

Christopher Sanders

Nick Lee came into his freshman season at Penn State accustomed to the feeling of victory.

Set to redshirt his first year, Lee was unaccustomed to waiting.

During his junior year of high school, Lee was the state champion at Mater Dei, where he attended school for three years before homeschooling his last year.

Lee decided to study at home during his senior year to focus on his freestyle training, which paid off when he won a USAW Cadet Freestyle National Championship and a USAW Junior Freestyle National Championship in back-to-back years.

Throughout, he was being recruited by schools, with Penn State at the top of his list.

“I was just excited to wrestle, for this team especially,” Lee said. “At the time they were No. 1 in the country, and we still are, so I was just really pumped that they had recruited me in the first place.”

Lee first made an impression in Penn State fans’ minds at the Southern Scuffle in the beginning of January. He wrestled unattached at 141 pounds and ended the tournament with a 4-1 run and finished runner-up.

With two pins, one tech fall and one major decision throughout the weekend, Lee showed that he can compete with some of the best wrestlers in his weight class.

Coming out of the Scuffle, Lee had a record of 14-3 on the season, and sights set on the spot in the lineup after starter Jered Cortez got hurt in the tournament. After an impressive showing in Chattanooga, that is when the talk started about Lee’s redshirt and whether it should be pulled.

+2  

Penn State's Nick Lee and Illinois' Michael Carr hold each other upside down in a match in the Big10 Championships at the Breslin Student Center on the campus of Michigan State on Saturday, March 3.

Christopher Sanders

Heading into the upcoming duals and conference matchups, Penn State was set to face Michigan in the first dual of 2018, and with Cortez still unable to compete due to his injury, coach Cael Sanderson decided to pull Lee’s redshirt.

“A lot of people want to save their redshirt,” Lee said. “But I was pretty pumped that they were pulling my redshirt and excited to be a part of this year’s team.”

Showing no signs of being a true freshman, Lee went into Ann Arbor and beat Sal Profaci in a 9-5 decision. Although that was only one match, fans could see that Sanderson and the other coaches made the right decision.

“I was excited,” Lee said. “There’s definitely added pressure, but I kind of like the pressure in a way because that means we have good opportunities. Without the opportunities there would be no pressure.”

Lee seemed to have secured his spot in the starting lineup for the Nittany Lions and went 8-1 in the duals. His only loss came in a close match against Joey McKenna of Ohio State. Of his eight wins, he posted three major decisions, one tech fall and a pin in the final dual of the season against Buffalo.

Because of his 22-4 record on the season, Lee earned the No. 2 seed heading into his first Big Ten Championships.

He started off his tournament with a major decision over Mike Van Brill of Rutgers and followed that win up with another major decision against Cole Weaver of Indiana.

Lee saw his first loss of the tournament come against Michael Carr of Illinois, but continued to compete in the consolation bracket where he beat Vince Turk from Iowa and Nate Limmex of Purdue to finish in third place.

“I didn’t really know what to expect,” Lee said. “I would say that was probably the biggest tournament I have ever wrestled in going into it. I was excited to be part of it and I think I was ready for it. The Big Ten tournament is the best training to get ready for nationals.”

Lee’s finish at the Big Ten Championships was enough to qualify him for NCAA Championships in Cleveland, and seeded No. 8 amongst his competition.

Even though he got pinned by an unseeded Ryan Diehl of Maryland in his first match of the tournament, Lee did not let that affect him too much during the rest of the weekend.

“My goal was to become a national champion,” Lee said. “But any way I can help my team is good for me, and our team won the national championship.”

+2  
After his loss, Lee entered the consolation bracket, where he won five matches before losing to No. 2 Jaydin Eierman of Mizzou. He lost the major decision, but still had the chance to compete for fifth place against Kevin Jack of NC State.

The dual went into sudden victory, but Lee had the first takedown to give him the 9-7 decision and ultimately a fifth-place finish and an All-American honor.

“He’s come a long way and hasn’t really changed,” Sanderson said. “His work ethic has been the same…He’s relaxed and focused and smiling, and even after a loss he says the right things and has the right mentality.”

At 141 pounds, Lee wrestled right before Penn State’s version of “Murderer’s Row,” which consists of the five wrestlers from 149 pounds to 184 pounds. Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall and Bo Nickal are all NCAA Champions, but that did not seem to put too much pressure on how Lee performed.

“I think that maybe might have taken a little bit of pressure off me,” Lee said. “Because no matter what happens I know that those guys are going to take care of us. For me, it was just awesome to be in the same lineup as those guys; it was a little bit surreal.”

Lee believes that as much as wrestling is an individual sport, it is also one of the biggest team sports because of how much you need to rely on your team to succeed.

“We have 10 guys competing out there on the mat,” Lee said. “But there are a lot of guys behind the scenes that are training with us. They contribute just as much when it comes to training and we are beyond thankful for those guys.”

Lee does not seem too disappointed with how his first year at Penn State turned out. He had the opportunities to wrestle with the best competition at this level and helped his team earn their seventh national title in eight years.

“I think the main thing though is I’m coming out of my true freshman year with a really great experience,” Lee said. “I don’t think I would change anything, so it was definitely a lot of fun.”_

Ask and Ye shall receive, at least for Alcoa...

Alcoa High School’s athletic teams have racked up more than $63,000 in post-season play expenses this year, but a school board motion to cover the amount with General Purpose School Fund money failed Tuesday on a 2-2 vote.

Director of Schools Brian Bell chalked the amount up to the “unprecedented success” of Alcoa athletics this year, with eight teams having participated in a TSSAA State Championship event as of March 20: boys’ golf, girls’ soccer, cross country, football, wrestling, boys’ basketball, girls’ basketball and cheerleading.

“This spring, baseball, softball, boys’ soccer and track and field all have legitimate chances to advance to state championship events,” according to materials provided to Alcoa Board of Education on Tuesday.

So far, the Alcoa High School Athletics Fund has paid $63,160.38 for championship events — and that does not include the cost for food, lodging and travel for both boys’ and girls’ basketball, Bell said.

Because the athletics budget does not have the funds to cover these expenses, Bell proposed the school board transfer $63,000 from the General Purpose School Funds to the Athletics Fund, but the motion by Vice Chair Steve Marsh failed on a 2-2 vote with Chair Julie Rochelle absent.

Board member Mickey McClurg, who joined board member Clayton Bledsoe in voting “no,” told Bell that he would be willing to vote yes if he could see some income and expense reports from the trips.

“I don’t pay my bills that way,” McClurg said, referencing not having an itemized list of how the money had been spent.

Bell told The Daily Times after the meeting that he would be prepared to bring the board additional information at its April meeting and ask again for the transfer.

In other action Tuesday, the Alcoa school board:

• Approved the March 9 emergency purchase of a new boiler for Alcoa Intermediate School at a cost of $62,804.

• Approved two policy revisions on second (final) reading, one updating the school system’s grading system to follow the state’s new policy regarding Advanced Placement and Duel Enrollment courses and the other giving employees who adopt children the same sick leave rights as those employees who take maternity leave.

• Approved one policy revision on first reading, revising the school system’s truancy policy in accordance with state law, which prescribes a three-tier system for addressing unexcused absences.

• Awarded a bid for 100 new Alcoa High School band uniforms to DeMoulin at a cost of $39,994. The uniforms will not be ready until October, board members learned.

Bell also informed board members that a lightning strike had affected the Alcoa High School marquee, but parts have been ordered to fix it. No action was necessary.

Edited by Sommers

Some great coverage for our national competitions of late up in TriCities area... Congrats to coach Shelton and his developing tradition up there...

Greeneville Wrestlers Continue To Do Big Things

• By Tate Russell Sun Sports Writer

wrestling 1

Greeneville wrestlers pictured from left to right: Kodiak Cannedy, Trent Knight, Hunter Mason and Michael Moore competed for Team Tennessee at the AAU National Duals in Des Moines, Iowa, over the weekend.

Photo Special To The Sun

The prep season might have ended two months ago, but that has not slowed down a handful of Greeneville wrestlers from continuing to accomplish big things on the mat.

Greeneville junior Trent Knight, and eighth-graders Hunter Mason and Kodiak Cannedy, all earned All-America honors at the AAU National Duals in Des Moines, Iowa, over the weekend.

The trio represented Team Tennessee at the tournament, and all three helped their teams to second-place finishes.

Before Iowa, all three went to Virginia Beach, Virginia, in March to compete at the National High School Coaches Association Individual Tournament. Mason and Cannedy placed third in their weight classes there, and Knight finished in the top 14 of his weight class.

Knight is a two-time TSSAA individual state champion and also won state Freestyle and Greco-Roman titles last summer. He took a lot pride in representing his state as part of a team last week.

“I like working with a team like that,” Knight said. “You are all working toward a goal and everybody is at the top level. Everybody is working to get better and nobody on the team is slacking off. Everybody is working toward a goal together, and that is fun.”

Knight’s team finished runner-up to Iowa Black in the Junior/Senior National Duals. On its way to the second-place finish, Team Tennessee beat squads from Iowa, Nebraska, Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming.

Tennessee is not known as a hotbed for wrestling talent, and that made the good finish mean a lot more to Knight.

“A lot times wrestling guys from up north give you crap about how they are better and how they wrestle better competition,” Knight said. “You always want to show them that we aren’t as bad as they think, and to go up there and get second is kind of like punching them in the stomach.”

The middle school team Cannedy and Mason represented also placed second behind Iowa Black. Greeneville sophomore Michael Moore represented Tennessee as well in the Freshman/Sophomore National Duals, and his team placed fourth.

Greeneville High School wrestling coach Randy Shelton said seeing the state do so well at a national tournament is great for local wrestling, and he hopes it will help build his wrestlers’ reputations on the national level.

“For Tennessee to get that ‘Oh, you’re from the south’ reputation off of our back, our kids have to start going to these national tournaments and performing at a high level,” he said. “This is the first year you can really see that we have taken a step. We have kids from the state in the finals at nationals and kids named All-America. We saw kids from Sullivan East and Signal Mountain that we wrestle day-in and day-out go and get big results at these tournaments. We need that as a state.”

Knight went 7-2 at the National Duals with one loss coming to Joel Shapiro, the second-ranked wrestler in the nation, and the other was a 10-9 loss that Knight classified as “a mistake.” He earned five pins in his seven wins.

“Going against those guys shows you where you need to be,” Knight said. “It shows you what you need work on and what kind of grind there is going to be to get there. I think it can be a great learning experience.”

Shelton is hopeful Knight can become Greeneville’s first three-time individual state champion in February. Shelton would also like Knight to become a guy who wins national tournaments and earns a reputation as one of the top wrestlers in the nation.

“Trent mentioned those guys he’s going against, and them being the top in the nation. A lot of those guys are seniors,” Shelton said. “At first, you are disappointed he loses to those guys, but you have to realize he is a whole year removed from where those guys are. We are hoping that with some hard work and some training that next year kids will be saying ‘Oh, no. I have Trent Knight in my bracket.’

“We’re hoping that over the next 12 months Trent’s name will be the one out there that people fear instead of some kid from Pennsylvania or Iowa.”

At the NHSCA tournament, Knight felt he underperformed, going 4-2 and finishing in the top 14 in the country. Cannedy, competing at 105 pounds, and Mason, competing at 100 pounds, both placed third in their weight classes.

Cannedy worked through the consolation bracket with close decisions capped by a win over Riley Finck of Virginia in the third-place match. His lone loss of the tournament came to second-place finisher Kelvin Griffin of Maine.

Mason dropped his first match of the tournament to Emilion Ysaguirre of Arizona. He then worked through the consolation bracket with three major decisions and a pin before beating Ryan Luna of California in the third-place match.

Both wrestlers moved to Greeneville last year, Mason from Virginia and Cannedy from Colorado, and both a have a lot of experience wrestling in big tournaments. That excites Shelton as the two move up to his program next season.

“It’s really good as a coach to have guys that have that national experience,” Shelton said. “That has been one of our biggest challenges, to get guys to travel out of state to big tournaments. Trent is probably the second kid we have had in the last 10 years, with (2014 state champion) Jon Boatman, that has really gone out and traveled. The results show. Those guys have been state champions.

“I think with these guys, what is really cool about them is that they took third, and that is a really good finish, but their personal goals are to be at the top of the podium everywhere they go.”

https://www.greenevillesun.com/sports/greeneville-wrestlers-continue-to-do-big-things/article_b3c01708-3b3e-514e-8573-a5ffe5a25d47.html

Want some ideas for funner than usual wrestling retreats this summer? ....

Support one of the greatest over-achievers in Tennessee wrestling history and back into coaching while still managing one of our finest State Parks...

Meet The Manager Event Scheduled For April 13 At Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park will announce their new Manager (and wrestling coach) Angelo Giansante, on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. at the park's Visitor Center, 404 Spring Creek Road in Delano.  This public event is an opportunity for the community to meet park staff and learn about the recreation opportunities the park offers. 

Mr. Giansante has been a ranger at Hiwassee/Ocoee since 2007 and spent time as a seasonal interpretive recreator at South Cumberland State Park.

“As a ranger at Hiwassee/Ocoee, Angelo has developed the successful Ocowassee Festival and has held a key role in the park’s programming efforts,” said Tennessee State Parks Deputy Commissioner Brock Hill, who will be making remarks at the event. “He has also been an active member of Tennessee State Parks’ Special Operations and Response Team, adding another layer of expertise he brings to our state parks system and the local community.”

Prior to his career with Tennessee State Parks, Mr. Giansante served as a sergeant in the U.S. Army as a heavy equipment transporter and squad leader. He is a former Tennessee state wrestling champion at LaVergne High School. Mr Giansante received his bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Middle Tennessee State University. 

Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park was the first river managed in the State Scenic River program. A 23-river mile section, from the North Carolina to U.S. Hwy. 411 north of Benton, has been declared a Class III partially developed river. This stretch of river offers canoeing, rafting, fishing, hiking and nature photography. A scenic portion of the John Muir trail winds through the river gorge. Numerous public access sites provide boat launch ramps.

The park’s Gee Creek primitive tent campground area has 47 campsites, each with a table, fire ring and grill. Adjacent is the Gee Creek Wilderness of the Cherokee National Forest.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2018/4/4/366226/Meet-The-Manager-Event-Scheduled-For.aspx

Edited by Sommers

web-logo.png

Heath Eslinger featured speaker once again...

Tennessee hosts hundreds of high school coaches

April 5th, 2018by David Cobbin Sports - CollegeRead Time: 2 mins.

coaches1562228342_t350_ha4e59d00aea7533ab8622e5d95c2ac7849f8c135.jpg

High school coaches watch Tennessee's football practice on April 5, 2018.

Photo by David Cobb /Times Free Press.

KNOXVILLE — Hundreds of high school football coaches from East Tennessee and beyond patrolled the sidelines at the University of Tennessee's Haslam Field on Thursday afternoon, getting a glimpse of how first-year Volunteers coach Jeremy Pruitt does things on the practice field.

It was the start of the program's coaches clinic, which will feature David Cutcliffe, Phillip Fulmer and Peyton Manning as keynote speakers Friday and continue through Saturday, when the visiting coaches will watch the Vols scrimmage at Neyland Stadium for the first time this spring.

"We want to make our coaches clinic the best in the country," Pruitt said. "Like everything else, we are starting over."

Pruitt has said he wishes for the Tennessee program to be the most accessible in the country to high school coaches. If the turnout at Thursday's practice was any indication, Pruitt and his staff are off to a good start. Coaches from as far as West Virginia — and some from the Chattanooga area — were spotted on the sidelines during practice.

Sprinkled into the weekend's lineup of speakers is University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling coach Heath Eslinger, who will lead a Fellowship of Christian Athletes breakfast Saturday morning at Thompson-Boling Arena.

"My goal every time I speak to coaches is just to encourage them to address the human side of the athlete," said Eslinger, who has built a reputation as a motivational speaker since taking over the UTC wrestling program in 2009.

"About seven years ago, I realized how trainwrecked the sports world was," Eslinger said. "I had two options: I can be a part of the problem or part of the solution, and I just kind of made it a vow that I was going to be part of the solution, no matter how big or small that part was."

Eslinger said he is anxious to meet Pruitt and Tennessee's new staff and hopefully learn some things even as he imparts his wisdom to the gathered coaches.

"Really, my goal Saturday morning is to get them to kind of look a little deeper and not just develop strategies on how they can have a better defense, have a better offense or a better special teams," Eslinger said, "but how do we develop a better culture of team in a society where nothing really points to team anymore."

New Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel, New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and coaches from NCAA Division II national champion Texas A&M-Commerce and Division III national champion Mount Union will also speak at the event.

"We are going to have a bunch of great guys coming in here to share," Pruitt said. "I'm excited about that, and I'm thankful these guys are doing it for us."

Contact David Cobb 

On 4/4/2018 at 9:26 PM, Sommers said:

Some great coverage for our national competitions of late up in TriCities area... Congrats to coach Shelton and his developing tradition up there...

Greeneville Wrestlers Continue To Do Big Things

• By Tate Russell Sun Sports Writer

wrestling 1

Greeneville wrestlers pictured from left to right: Kodiak Cannedy, Trent Knight, Hunter Mason and Michael Moore competed for Team Tennessee at the AAU National Duals in Des Moines, Iowa, over the weekend.

Photo Special To The Sun

The prep season might have ended two months ago, but that has not slowed down a handful of Greeneville wrestlers from continuing to accomplish big things on the mat.

Greeneville junior Trent Knight, and eighth-graders Hunter Mason and Kodiak Cannedy, all earned All-America honors at the AAU National Duals in Des Moines, Iowa, over the weekend.

The trio represented Team Tennessee at the tournament, and all three helped their teams to second-place finishes.

Before Iowa, all three went to Virginia Beach, Virginia, in March to compete at the National High School Coaches Association Individual Tournament. Mason and Cannedy placed third in their weight classes there, and Knight finished in the top 14 of his weight class.

Knight is a two-time TSSAA individual state champion and also won state Freestyle and Greco-Roman titles last summer. He took a lot pride in representing his state as part of a team last week.

“I like working with a team like that,” Knight said. “You are all working toward a goal and everybody is at the top level. Everybody is working to get better and nobody on the team is slacking off. Everybody is working toward a goal together, and that is fun.”

Knight’s team finished runner-up to Iowa Black in the Junior/Senior National Duals. On its way to the second-place finish, Team Tennessee beat squads from Iowa, Nebraska, Montana, South Dakota and Wyoming.

Tennessee is not known as a hotbed for wrestling talent, and that made the good finish mean a lot more to Knight.

“A lot times wrestling guys from up north give you crap about how they are better and how they wrestle better competition,” Knight said. “You always want to show them that we aren’t as bad as they think, and to go up there and get second is kind of like punching them in the stomach.”

The middle school team Cannedy and Mason represented also placed second behind Iowa Black. Greeneville sophomore Michael Moore represented Tennessee as well in the Freshman/Sophomore National Duals, and his team placed fourth.

Greeneville High School wrestling coach Randy Shelton said seeing the state do so well at a national tournament is great for local wrestling, and he hopes it will help build his wrestlers’ reputations on the national level.

“For Tennessee to get that ‘Oh, you’re from the south’ reputation off of our back, our kids have to start going to these national tournaments and performing at a high level,” he said. “This is the first year you can really see that we have taken a step. We have kids from the state in the finals at nationals and kids named All-America. We saw kids from Sullivan East and Signal Mountain that we wrestle day-in and day-out go and get big results at these tournaments. We need that as a state.”

Knight went 7-2 at the National Duals with one loss coming to Joel Shapiro, the second-ranked wrestler in the nation, and the other was a 10-9 loss that Knight classified as “a mistake.” He earned five pins in his seven wins.

“Going against those guys shows you where you need to be,” Knight said. “It shows you what you need work on and what kind of grind there is going to be to get there. I think it can be a great learning experience.”

Shelton is hopeful Knight can become Greeneville’s first three-time individual state champion in February. Shelton would also like Knight to become a guy who wins national tournaments and earns a reputation as one of the top wrestlers in the nation.

“Trent mentioned those guys he’s going against, and them being the top in the nation. A lot of those guys are seniors,” Shelton said. “At first, you are disappointed he loses to those guys, but you have to realize he is a whole year removed from where those guys are. We are hoping that with some hard work and some training that next year kids will be saying ‘Oh, no. I have Trent Knight in my bracket.’

“We’re hoping that over the next 12 months Trent’s name will be the one out there that people fear instead of some kid from Pennsylvania or Iowa.”

At the NHSCA tournament, Knight felt he underperformed, going 4-2 and finishing in the top 14 in the country. Cannedy, competing at 105 pounds, and Mason, competing at 100 pounds, both placed third in their weight classes.

Cannedy worked through the consolation bracket with close decisions capped by a win over Riley Finck of Virginia in the third-place match. His lone loss of the tournament came to second-place finisher Kelvin Griffin of Maine.

Mason dropped his first match of the tournament to Emilion Ysaguirre of Arizona. He then worked through the consolation bracket with three major decisions and a pin before beating Ryan Luna of California in the third-place match.

Both wrestlers moved to Greeneville last year, Mason from Virginia and Cannedy from Colorado, and both a have a lot of experience wrestling in big tournaments. That excites Shelton as the two move up to his program next season.

“It’s really good as a coach to have guys that have that national experience,” Shelton said. “That has been one of our biggest challenges, to get guys to travel out of state to big tournaments. Trent is probably the second kid we have had in the last 10 years, with (2014 state champion) Jon Boatman, that has really gone out and traveled. The results show. Those guys have been state champions.

“I think with these guys, what is really cool about them is that they took third, and that is a really good finish, but their personal goals are to be at the top of the podium everywhere they go.”

https://www.greenevillesun.com/sports/greeneville-wrestlers-continue-to-do-big-things/article_b3c01708-3b3e-514e-8573-a5ffe5a25d47.html

Want some ideas for funner than usual wrestling retreats this summer? ....

Support one of the greatest over-achievers in Tennessee wrestling history and back into coaching while still managing one of our finest State Parks...

Meet The Manager Event Scheduled For April 13 At Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park will announce their new Manager (and wrestling coach) Angelo Giansante, on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. at the park's Visitor Center, 404 Spring Creek Road in Delano.  This public event is an opportunity for the community to meet park staff and learn about the recreation opportunities the park offers. 

Mr. Giansante has been a ranger at Hiwassee/Ocoee since 2007 and spent time as a seasonal interpretive recreator at South Cumberland State Park.

“As a ranger at Hiwassee/Ocoee, Angelo has developed the successful Ocowassee Festival and has held a key role in the park’s programming efforts,” said Tennessee State Parks Deputy Commissioner Brock Hill, who will be making remarks at the event. “He has also been an active member of Tennessee State Parks’ Special Operations and Response Team, adding another layer of expertise he brings to our state parks system and the local community.”

Prior to his career with Tennessee State Parks, Mr. Giansante served as a sergeant in the U.S. Army as a heavy equipment transporter and squad leader. He is a former Tennessee state wrestling champion at LaVergne High School. Mr Giansante received his bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Middle Tennessee State University. 

Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park was the first river managed in the State Scenic River program. A 23-river mile section, from the North Carolina to U.S. Hwy. 411 north of Benton, has been declared a Class III partially developed river. This stretch of river offers canoeing, rafting, fishing, hiking and nature photography. A scenic portion of the John Muir trail winds through the river gorge. Numerous public access sites provide boat launch ramps.

The park’s Gee Creek primitive tent campground area has 47 campsites, each with a table, fire ring and grill. Adjacent is the Gee Creek Wilderness of the Cherokee National Forest.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2018/4/4/366226/Meet-The-Manager-Event-Scheduled-For.aspx

More on Coach Giansante...

As a coach...

http://newschannel9.com/sports/sports-headlines/polk-county-makes-first-ever-appearance-in-state-wrestling-championships

As a Park Ranger and Manager...

Giant salamander helps detect clean water along Hiwassee River

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/36935081/giant-salamander-helps-detect-clean-water-along-hiwassee-river

Bono's Replacement many of your may know from the Shuffle in elsewhere...

espn-99.1-fm.png

South Dakota State Hires Cornell Assistant Damion Hahn to Take Over Wrestling Program

by Jeff Harkness April 9, 2018 9:20 PM Damion Hahn - SDSU Wrestling SDSU

The South Dakota wrestling program is turning over the reigns to a man who knows all about winning big matches as a competitor and as a top assistant coach.

Longtime Cornell assistant and former University of Minnesota wrestler Damion Hahn has been hired to take over in Brookings.

Hahn, a four-time All-American as a wrestler for the Gophers, won a pair of national championships in college. He was also the Big Ten Male Athlete of the Year in 2004.

In his 12 years on the staff at Cornell, Hahn was part of a program that recorded 11 top ten team finishes at the NCAA Championships, including consecutive runner-up finishes in 2010 and 2011. He mentored 50 All-Americans, 12 of whom were individual NCAA champions. Cornell also won 12 straight Ivy League dual championships and 11 consecutive Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association team titles.

This will be his first head coaching job.

In a SDSU press release, athletic director Justin Sell said:

Damion represents everything we are looking for in being able to take our wrestling program to the next level. His success both as a collegiate wrestler and coach, along with his ability to recruit high-achieving student-athletes on and off the mat, made him the ideal candidate. He is a tremendous ambassador for the sport who will work tirelessly to ensure wrestling thrives both on our campus and across the country.

In that same SDSU press release, Hahn said:

I am truly honored to be named the next head coach of wrestling at South Dakota State University and am thrilled for the opportunity to lead a program that has such incredible support from the university and the community. I would like to thank Justin Sell and everyone on the search committee for giving me this opportunity. I am excited for the future of Jackrabbit Wrestling.

Hahn will begin his duties at SDSU April 16, replacing Chris Bono who left after six seasons to take over at Wisconsin. During that time the Jackrabbits went 64-41 in dual meets and posted four straight winning seasons with 22-3 mark against Big 12 Conference foes since joining the league at the start of the 2015-16 season.

SDSU was ranked as high as 12th in the national polls last season.

Read More: SDSU Hires Cornell Assistant Damion Hahn as Wrestling Coach | http://espn991.com/south-dakota-state-hires-cornell-assistant-damion-hahn-to-take-over-wrestling-program/?trackback=tsmclip

Daily News Journal
HIGH SCHOOL

Meet the 2018 Daily News Journal all-area wrestling team

Cecil Joyce | USA TODAY NETWORK - TennesseeUpdated 51 minutes ago

It was a banner year for high school wrestling in the Murfreesboro area.

Three Division I state individual champions were crowned and several others finished as medalists.
636544244577673080-NAS-SPORTS-wrestling-kramer-27.jpg
Blackman's Landon Fowler battles Summit's Sawyer Knott during the state individual tournament in ...more
Wade Payne, For The Tennessean

Smyrna junior Cameron Henderson, Blackman junior Landon Fowler and Siegel senior Christian Salter all captured state championships in their respective weight divisions. The three are finalists for The Daily News Journal's all-area wrestler of the year award.

Henderson won the state title in the 132-pound division with a 5-3 finals win over Knox Halls' Chase Brown.

Fowler defeated Bearden's Max Grayson 12-5 in the 170-pound finals for his first state title.

Salter battled through an injury and held off William Blount's Dawson Satterfield in the 182-pound finals for his first title.

The all-area wrestler of the year will be announced at an all-sports ceremony in May.

The all-area wrestling team includes:

FIRST TEAM

636578446690152871-106South.jpg
Stewarts Creek's Tyler South.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

TYLER SOUTH

Stewarts Creek, Fr.

Weight class: 106 pounds

Why chosen: Won a consolation round at the Class AAA state tournament after capturing the Region 5-AAA title.

636578446689216871-113Harless.jpg
Stewarts Creek's Kenny Harless.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

KENNY HARLESS

Stewarts Creek, So.

Weight class: 113 pounds

Why chosen: Earned a medal by finishing fourth at the state tournament after winning the region title.

636578446688748871-120Gaines.jpg
Stewarts Creek's Lucas Gaines.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

LUCAS GAINES

Stewarts Creek, Jr.

Weight class: 120 pounds

Why chosen: Medaled at the state tournament, finishing fourth, after winning the region title.

636578446689060871-126McClure.jpg
Riverdale's Brandon McClure.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

BRANDON MCCLURE

Riverdale, So.

Weight class: 126 pounds

Why chosen: Won a consolation round at the state tournament after finishing second in the region.

636578446689060871-132Henderson.jpg
Smyrna's Cameron Henderson.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

CAMERON HENDERSON

Smyrna, Jr.

Weight class: 132 pounds

Why chosen: Captured the Class AAA state title with a 5-3 win over Knox Halls' Chase Brown.

636578446689684871-138Bradford.jpg
Blackman's Daniel Bradford.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

DANIEL BRADFORD

Blackman, Sr.

Weight class: 138 pounds

Why chosen: Won two championship round matches and one consolation round at the state tournament. Won the region title.

636578446692960871-145Derryberry.jpg
Smyrna's Daniel Derryberry.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

DANIEL DERRYBERRY

Smyrna, Sr.

Weight class: 145 pounds

Why chosen: Won two consolation rounds at the state tournament after placing third in the region.

636578446694364871-152Moultry.jpg
Siegel's Michael Moultry.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

MICHAEL MOULTRY

Siegel, Sr.

Weight class: 152 pounds

Why chosen: Earned a medal at state, capturing third overall. Finished second in the region tournament.

636578446694208871-160Gebhardt.jpg
Oakland's Ryder Gebhardt.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

RYDER GEBHARDT

Oakland, Sr.

Weight class: 160 pounds

Why chosen: Won a championship round and two consolation rounds at the state tournament after winning the region title.

636578446696236871-170Fowler.jpg
Blackman's Landon Fowler.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

LANDON FOWLER

Blackman, Jr.

Weight class: 170 pounds

Why chosen: Captured his first state title, defeating Bearden's Max Grayson 12-5 in the finals. Won the region title.

636578446701228871-182Salter.jpg
Siegel's Christian Salter.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

CHRISTIAN SALTER

Siegel, Sr.

Weight class: 182 pounds

Why chosen: Captured his first state title, edging William Blount's Dawson Satterfield 5-4 in the finals. Won the region title.

636578446701852871-195Heath.jpg
Blackman's Ryan Heath.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

RYAN HEATH

Blackman, Sr.

Weight class: 195 pounds

Why chosen: Won two championship round matches at the state tournament after capturing the region title.

636578446699824871-220Boone.jpg
Oakland's Branson Boone.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

BRANSON BOONE

Oakland, Sr.

Weight class: 220 pounds

Why chosen: Medaled at the state tournament, finishing fifth after winning two championship round matches. Won the region title.

636578446699980871-285Hughes.jpg
Blackman's Jamil Hughes.
Cecil Joyce / DNJ

JAMIL HUGHES

Blackman, Sr.

Weight class: 285 pounds

Why chosen: Won two championship round matches at the state tournament after finishing second in the region.

SECOND TEAM

106 pounds: Gabe Pennington, Eagleville, Fr.

113 pounds: Tyler Vanderheyden, Oakland, Fr.

120 pounds: David Medina, Riverdale, So.

126 pounds: Kalani Meckes, Stewarts Creek, Jr.

132 pounds: Wyatt McLemore, Eagleville, Fr.

138 pounds: Andrew Farrar, Oakland, Jr.

145 pounds: Vincent Theus, Riverdale, So.

152 pounds: Jalen Brown, Blackman, Jr.

160 pounds: Anthony Gomez, Blackman, So.

170 pounds: Connor Coughran, Oakland, Sr.

182 pounds: Spencer Layne, Blackman, Jr.

195 pounds: Luis Ramirez, Riverdale, Jr.

220 pounds: Bowdy Boyce, Blackman, So.

285 pounds: Jackson Riley, Oakland, So.

COACH OF THE YEAR

RONNIE BRAY

Blackman

Why chosen: Led the Blaze to a second straight traditional region title while also taking the squad back to the state team tournament. Had 10 wrestlers reach the state individual tournament

HIGH SCHOOL

2017-18 Leaf-Chronicle All Area girls wrestling team

636583706125288857-20180403-140306.jpg
Northeast junior Cathlin Green
George Robinson / The Leaf-Chronicle
  •  
George Robinson | USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee6:00 a.m. CT April 10, 2018

The Leaf-Chronicle All Area girls wrestling team has been announced.

Here are the teams.

FIRST TEAM

SAVANNAH BAREFIELD

Rossview, Jr.

Weight: 103

Barefield had a 26-7 dual record, finished third at region and fifth at state.

CATHLIN GREEN

Northeast, Jr.

Weight: 113

Green took third place overall at state after finishing the dual regular season 26-0. 

636582873825680779-Rossview-Barrios.jpg
Rossview High senior Jasmine Barrios

JASMINE BARRIOS

Rossview, Sr.

Weight: 119

The senior had a 21-2 dual record and captured a region championship. She finished state runner-up.

636582874863236779-Rossview-Robin-Yunis.jpg
Rossview High sophomore Robin Yunis

ROBIN YUNIS

Rossview, So.

Weight: 125

Yunis steamrolled her competition with a 35-0 dual record. She captured the region championship and her second straight state title. She finished the season ranked seventh nationally.

636582874250780779-Rossview-Emma-Walker.jpg
Rossview High sophomore Emma Walker

EMMA WALKER

Rossview, So.

Weight: 132

Walker went 32-0. She was a region champion and state champ and finished ranked 12th nationally.

VIVIAN HURN

Montgomery Central, So.

Weight: 140

Hurn took third at the region tournament but captured a state championship.

DEYLA BRITO-PEREZ

Northwest, Jr.

Weight: 150

Perez is a two-time region runner-up. She took third at state and is a three-time state medalist.

BRIELLE BISSONETTE

Rossview, Fr.

Weight: 160

Bissonette had a 24-2 dual record and was a region champion. She finished state runner-up.

ABIGAIL VANCE

West Creek, So.

Weight: 170

Vance finished region runner-up and was third at state at 170 pounds.

CATHERINE PALMIERI

Northwest, Jr.

Weight: 190

Palmieri was a region runner-up and took third place at state.

NOVALEE FEICHKO

Northwest, Jr.

Weight: 215

Feichko took fifth place overall at state.

HIGH SCHOOL

The 2017-18 Leaf-Chronicle All Area boys wrestling team

636538881971500469-Wrestling-Bryce-Woermer-RHS.JPG
Rossview's Bryce Woerner (left) locks the head of his opponent during the 106-pound consolation final of the Region 6 ...more

The Leaf-Chronicle All Area Girls Wrestling team has been announced.

Here are the teams.

FIRST TEAM

BRYCE WOERNER

Rossview, Fr.

Weight: 106

Undefeated in district matches. Finished third in region and sixth at state.

TRISTAN ENTWISTLE

636538883188620271-Wrestling-Tristan-Entwistle-WC-2.JPG
West Creek's Tristan Entwistle (right) tries to stay upright as he competes in the 113-pound Region ...more

West Creek, So.

Weight: 113

Undefeated in district matches and finished region runner-up with a 35-10 dual record.

CHRISTIAN ISBELL

636512106061424084-Isbell-Horst-106-Title.JPG
Clarksville High's Christian Isbell participates in the 106-pound region championship match last ...more
George Robinson / File / The Leaf-Chronic

Clarksville High, So.

Weight: 120

Bell was last year's All Area wrestler of the year. This season he finished with a 41-5 dual record, was undefeated in district matches and was the region runnerup and a state qualifier.

ANDREW PARKER

West Creek, Sr.

Weight: 126

Parker had a 38-9 dual record and and was region runner-up.

THOMAS WILLIAMS

Kenwood, So.

Weight: 132

Williams captured a region championship with a 34-6 dual record.

JACOB SLIGHT

West Creek, Jr.

Weight: 138

Slight had a 10-1 district dual record and took region runner-up with 33-10 overall dual record.

ENRIQUE GONZALEZ

636538894410084203-Wrestling-Ricky-Gonzalez-RHS-2.JPG
Rossview's Ricky Gonzalez holds the leg of his opponent during their 145-pound championship match ...more

Rossview, Sr.

Weight: 145

Gonzalez had a 56-5 dual record and was the region champion at 145 pounds. He finished fourth at state and is a three-time state qualifier.

WREN CAMPBELL

Northeast, Sr.

Weight: 152

Campbell had a 29-6 dual record and finished fourth in the region tournament.

BLAKE SPINK

636538896728571065-Wrestling-Blake-Spink-NW-1.JPG
Northwest's Blake Spink bears down on his opponent during their 160-pound championship match ...more

Northwest, Sr.

Weight: 160

Spink finished region runner-up, advancing to state where he also took state runner-up.

TREVOR HANSON

Northwest, Sr.

Weight: 170

Hansen is a two-time state qualifier and a region runner-up.

ANTONIO MARISCAL

Rossview, Sr.

Weight: 182

With a 45-8 dual record, Mariscal finished region runner-up and took fourth overall at state.

BRADLEY WILLIAMS

636224325113559313-182-Title.JPG
Clarksville High's Bradley Williams gains control of his 182-pound region championship match ...more

Clarksville High, Jr.

Weight: 195

Williams was dominant with a 32-1 dual record. He was a region champion and captured the TSSAA state title.

ANDREW ARIAS-LYNCH

636538908099795957-Wrestling-Andrew-Arias-RHS.JPG
Rossview's Andrew Arias Lynch pushes the head of his opponent down to the mat during their ...more

Rossview, Sr.

Weight: 220

Arias had a 48-6 dual record and was a region runner-up. He also was a state qualifier for the third time in his career.

ADVERTISING
NATE THACKER

Kenwood, Sr.

Weight: 285

Thacker was undefeated in district dual matches and finished region runner-up.

SECOND TEAM

106: Jaymes Lawrence, Kenwood, Sr.

113: Douglas Mann, Kenwood, So.

120: Nick Gonsales, West Creek, Jr

126: Aaron Barefield, Rossview, Jr.

132: Ely Castillo, Clarksville High, Jr

138: Eric Jackson, Kenwood, Sr.

145: Chris Hill, Clarksville High, Jr

152: Mitchell Osborn, Rossview, Sr.

160: Elijah Miller, West Creek, Sr

170: Tristin Taylor, West Creek, Sr

182: Cooper Palmieri, Northwest, So.

195: Eric Cornelius, West Creek, Sr.

220: Taylor Bowers, Clarksville High, So.

285: Logan McMillan, Rosview, Jr.

HIGH SCHOOL

Clarksville High's Bradley Williams pushes limits, earns All Area boys wrestler of year

636538906996244883-Wrestling-Bradley-Williams-CHS.JPG
Clarksville High's Bradley Williams earns two points after maneuvering his opponent during their 195-pound championship ...more

Bradley Williams has been a difficult matchup on the wrestling mat for the past three years, but his senior year turned out to be one in which he was nearly impossible to handle.

Williams tore through the dual season with a 32-1 record in the 195-pound weight division. And on the state's biggest stage, Williams handled his opponent with ease. Williams captured the 195-pound state title during the TSSAA State Wrestling Championships in Franklin two months ago.

"At the beginning of the year I figured I could make a run at a state title," Williams said after being named The Leaf-Chronicle All Area boys wrestler of the year. "I knew it was going to be hard to do. I just figured that if I worked hard enough, it would be easy."

But what Williams realized is that the harder he worked, the harder the competition became.

"Then I realized that hard work is really the only thing that gets you through," he said.

636224325113559313-182-Title.JPG
Clarksville High's Bradley Williams gains control of his 182-pound region championship match ...more

Williams said he began to push himself past his limit. When his body and mind started to break down, he practiced harder.

"That was tough because you just want to quit," he said. "Your brain is telling you to quit and your body is, too, and it's probably the easy thing to do. But once you push past that, it's amazing what you can do."

Williams faced Knoxville Halls' Brent Buckman in the state title match, earning early points on a throw and then posting 10 points before coasting to a 10-5 victory for the state crown.

636169934568735245-0N3K6437.JPG
Clarksville High's Bradley Williams faces Franklin's Jacob Schoeff during their 160-pound match ...more

"I didn't want to give him any sort of advantage," Williams said. "I thought if he scored first it would give him confidence and momentum. I wanted to have that so I tried to start fast. Plus, in the end, he started to get tired and that's when I knew I could win it."

Wiliams ended his senior year with a region championship and state championship.

"Those titles mean a lot," he said. "When I first started wrestling those were the goals. To actually reach those goals is amazing."

Reach Prep writer George Robinson at georgerobinson@theleafchronicle.com or (931) 245-0747 and on Twitter @Cville_Sports

Jeff Price guides Rossview wrestling teams to new heights, wins All Area coach of year

636579545789803215-Wrestling-RHS-Coach-Jeff-Price.JPG
Rossview wrestling coach Jeff Price encourages one of his wrestlers during a match in SlamFest at Clarksville High ...more

For five seasons, Jeff Price helped develop Rossview's wrestlers as an assistant coach under Daniel Cozine.

When Cozine stepped down last year, Price took the reins and inherited a team he knew had a chance to be special.

Rossview had its most successful dual season in team history with a 30-5 record and the school's first district duals championship.

"I wanted to bring that 'We Are Rossview' mantra to these kids," Price said. "That's something the whole school has been saying. It's sort of our slogan now. That sense of pride when you say it, that's what I wanted our team to have."

Price took over a program that years ago would have struggled to field all 14 weight classes. But this season he had depth at nearly every weight class and took advantage of that depth. The team came one match away from advancing to its first ever state dual tournament.

"We could move guys around and not really miss a beat," he said. "One of those guys was our heavyweight in Logan (McMillan)."

636538881971500469-Wrestling-Bryce-Woermer-RHS.JPG
Rossview's Bryce Woerner (left) locks the head of his opponent during the 106-pound consolation ...more

McMillan wrestled at 285 pounds but was just 201 pounds. He finished the dual season 43-9 and third in the region despite giving up nearly 70 pounds in most matches.

"I was set up for success," Price said. "What coach Cozine did to really change the program was simple for me to just continue that and built on it."

Not only did Price lead the boys to previously unequaled success — that included six total state qualifiers — but he led the girls wrestling program to a state championship. It's the second straight year a Montgomery County girls wrestling program won the Class AAA state title, joining Northwest.

636538887717485302-Wrestling-Rossview-coach.JPG
Rossview wrestling coach Jeff Price (far right) gives his wrestler instructions during a ...more

"A couple of years ago we had only two girls in our program," Price said. "This year we had four state medalists that were wrestling for the first time this year."

Ten of his girls competed at state and two — Robin Yunis (125) and Emma Walker (132) — captured state championships.

"We didn't cut any of the girls that came out for the team," Price said. "And we worked them just as hard as the boys. We were blessed to have every one of those girls be gifted athletes as well."

Reach Prep writer George Robinson at georgerobinson@theleafchronicle.com or (931) 245-0747 and on Twitter @Cville_Sports. 
Edited by Sommers

Show caption
Tennessean Sports Awards

The Tennessean's 2018 All-Midstate wrestling teams

TOM KREAGER  |  USA TODAY NETWORK - TENNESSEE
6:00 p.m. CDT Apr. 11, 2018

Faceboo Tickets are on sale for the 2018 Tennessean Sports Awards presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans, recognizing the top athletic accomplishments in Middle Tennessee high school sports. It will be held June 3 at Music City Center.  →

The third-annual event features Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry as the guest speaker.

Tickets can be purchased at sportsawards.tennessean.com.

BOYS

FIRST TEAM

Here are the five nominees for boys wrestler of the year, with the winner being announced at the Tennessean Sports Awards.

Landon Fowler, Blackman wrestling

Landon Fowler, Blackman wrestling  
TOM KREAGER / THE TENNESSEAN

Landon Fowler

Blackman, Jr.

Why chosen: Fowler finished 48-2 and won the Class AAA state title, beating Bearden's Max Grayson 12-5 in the championship.

Beech wrestler Noah Horst

Beech wrestler Noah Horst  
ANDREW NELLES / THE TENNESSEAN

Noah Horst

Beech, So.

Weight class: 126 pounds

Why chosen: Horst finished 45-2 and beat William Blount's Calvin Martin 4-2 in the Class AAA championship match.

Wilson Central wrestler Michael Kramer

Wilson Central wrestler Michael Kramer  

Michael Kramer

Wilson Central, Jr.

Why chosen: Kramer won the Class AAA state championship, pinning Tullahoma's Luke Champion in the championship. 

Siegel wrestler Christian Salter

Siegel wrestler Christian Salter  

Christian Salter

Siegel, Sr.

Why chosen: The Gardner-Webb signee finished 37-1 and won the Class AAA state title, beating William Blount's Dawson Satterfield 5-4 in the championship.

MBA wrestler Bryce Wittman

MBA wrestler Bryce Wittman  

Bryce Wittman

MBA, Sr.

Weight class: 145 pounds

Why chosen: Wittman finished 42-2 and beat Baylor's Austin Atchley 2-0 in the Division II championship match

REST OF FIRST TEAM

Trey Bates

Beech, Fr.

Why chosen: Bates finished 52-0, beating Cleveland's Trae McDaniel in the Class AAA championship match 5-3.

Hunter Borders

Wilson Central, Fr.

Weight class: 113 pounds

Why chosen: Borders won the Class AAA state title, beating Bartlett's Gabe O'Callaghan 6-5 in the championship.

Brayden Palmer

Beech, Jr. 

Why chosen: Palmer finished 52-1 and won the Class AAA state title, beating Arlington's Michael Cannon 11-2 in the championship.

Cameron Henderson

Smyrna, Jr.

Why chosen: Henderson finished 51-6 and beat Knoxville Halls' Chase Brown 5-3 in the Class AAA championship match. 

Job Dooley

Franklin, Jr.

Why chosen: Dooley finished 37-4, falling to Science Hill's Luke Story 3-2 in the Class AAA championship match.

Conner Mitchell

BGA, Sr.

Why chosen: Mitchell went 26-8, beating Father Ryan's Joseph Vogelpohl 6-5 in the Division II championship.

Dylan Quinn

Mt. Juliet

Why chosen: Quinn placed third in the Class AAA state meet and was the Region 6-AAA champion.

Bradley Williams

Clarksville, Jr.

Why chosen: Williams won the Class AAA state championship, beating Knoxville Halls' Brent Buckman 10-5 in the championship.

Toby Lynch

Greenbrier, Sr.

Why chosen: Lynch finished 33-0, defeating Nolensville's Jacob Miller 6-4 in the championship.

Tennessean Sports Awards are back, feature guest speaker Derrick Henry
On June 3, the Tennessean Sports Awards will take place at Music City Center. Tickets are available now at Sportsawards.tennessean.com.
AUTUMN ALLISON|USA TODAY NETWORK-TENNESSEE

SECOND TEAM

106: Eli Clemmons, Lebanon, Fr.

113: Kenny Harless, Stewarts Creek, So.

120: Will Higgins, MBA, So.

126: Jeffrey Gross, Forrest, Jr.

132: Chad Milasauskas, Brentwood, Sr.

138: Alex Pergande, Wilson Central, Jr.

145: Houston Crouch, Father Ryan, Jr.

152: Joseph Vogelpohl, Father Ryan, Sr.

160: Blake Spink, Northwest, Sr.

170: Sawyer Knott, Summit, Sr.

182: Dominic Fisher, MBA, Jr.

195: CJ Grissim, Brentwood, Sr.

220: Jordan McCoy, Brentwood Academy, Sr.

285: Airin Spell, Brentwood Academy, Sr.

COACH OF THE YEAR

John Kramer, Wilson Central wrestling coach

John Kramer, Wilson Central wrestling coach 
SUBMITTED

John Kramer

Wilson Central

Why chosen: Kramer led Wilson Central a third-place finish in both the TSSAA Class AAA state duals and the TSSAA Class AAA individual state tournament.

GIRLS

FIRST TEAM

Here are the five nominees for girls wrestler of the year, with the winner being announced at the Tennessean Sports Awards.

Vivian Hurn, Montgomery Central, So.

Vivian Hurn, Montgomery Central, So.  
LARRY MCCORMACK / THE TENNESSEA

Vivian Hurn

Montgomery Central, So.

Weight class: 140 pounds 

Why chosen: Hurn finished 20-2, beating Jillian Alford 14-1 in the state championship match.

Gabrielle Neal, Cane Ridge, Sr.

Gabrielle Neal, Cane Ridge, Sr.  

Gabrielle Neal

Cane Ridge, Sr.

Why chosen: Neal finished 22-1, beating Elizabethton's Haley Brown in the state championship by pin.

Zanaya Shropshire, Independence, Sr.

Zanaya Shropshire, Independence, Sr.  

Zanaya Shropshire

Independence, Sr.

Why chosen: Shropshire finished 17-2 and was second at the TSSAA Girls Wrestling State Championships.

Emma Walker

Emma Walker, Rossview, So.

Emma Walker, Rossview, So.  

Rossview, So.

Weight class: 132 pounds

Why chosen: Walker finished 32-0, beating McGavock's Donny Bradborn 17-5 in the championship match.

Robin Yunis

Robin Yunis, Rossview, So.

Robin Yunis, Rossview, So.  
CONTRIBUTED

Rossview, So.

Weight class: 125 pounds

Why chosen: Yunis finished 33-0, pinning Science Hill's Helaina Campbell-Ketron in the championship match.

REST OF FIRST TEAM

Kalee Sandberg

Smyrna, So.

Weight class: 103 pounds

Why chosen: Sanberg finished third at the TSSAA Girls Wrestling State Championships.

Cathlin Green

Northeast, Jr.

Weight class: 112 pounds

Why chosen: Green finished 32-1 and was third at the TSSAA Girls Wrestling State Championships.

Jasmine Barrios

Rossview, Sr.

Weight class: 119 pounds

Why chosen: Barrios finished 18-2 and was second at the TSSAA Girls Wrestling State Championships.

Jazlyn Oropeza

McGavock, Sr.

Weight class: 150 pounds

Why chosen: Oropeza finished 19-3 and was second at the TSSAA Girls Wrestling State Championships.

Brielle Bissonette

Rossview, Fr.

Why chosen: Bissonette finished 22-2 and was second at the TSSAA Girls Wrestling State Championships.

Jadia Fosten

Antioch, Fr

Weight class: 215 pounds

Why chosen: Fosten finished 23-4 and was third at the TSSAA Girls Wrestling State Championships.

COACH OF THE YEAR

Jeff Price, Rossview wrestling coach

Jeff Price, Rossview wrestling coach  
SUBMITTED

Jeff Price

Rossview

Why chosen: Price led Rossview to the TSSAA girls wrestling state championship. Rossview finished with 118 points — 56 more than second-place Elizabethton.

Edited by Sommers

Laxton Named Head Wrestling Coach At Soddy Daisy

Former East Ridge Coach Stepping Up After Jim Higgins Steps Down

Friday, April 13, 2018 - by John Hunt
Brad Laxton, left, has been named to succeed Jim Higgins, right, as the head wrestling coach at Soddy Daisy High School. Assistant coach Ashley Brooks is in the middle.
Brad Laxton, left, has been named to succeed Jim Higgins, right, as the head wrestling coach at Soddy Daisy High School. Assistant coach Ashley Brooks is in the middle. 
- photo by Dennis Norwood/File Photo

Brad Laxton was the head wrestling coach at East Ridge for three years before taking a job as an assistant at Soddy Daisy five years ago.

And now the 42-year-old bundle of energy and enthusiasm has been named head coach for the Trojans after Jim Higgins recently stepped down.

Soddy Daisy principal Steve Henry made the announcement Friday morning.  It was Henry that Higgins replaced in 2012.

“I’ve known Jim for a long time, ever since he was a little kid, and I appreciate the job he’s done with our program,” Henry said via a telephone conversation.

“He’s been thinking about this decision for a while as I'm sure he didn't want to let me down.  I wasn’t sure that Brad wanted the job at first as it was a big decision for him, but he’ll do a great job here and he’ll bring some new energy to our team.  He did an outstanding job at East Ridge and I expect nothing less here at Soddy Daisy,” Henry added.

Higgins is a 1998 Soddy Daisy graduate who was an undefeated state wrestling champion his senior year.  He was also a big-time baseball player in the day and the Soddy Daisy field is now named for his late father Tom Higgins.

The job title may be changing, but the younger Higgins will still be actively involved on the Soddy Daisy campus.

“I have two young sons who will be coming through the program in a few years, so I’m still going to be involved,” Higgins said while taking a break from his schedule Friday morning.

“There are some personal reasons for this decision as I’d one day like to coach baseball.  But I’m proud of Brad and really happy that he’s been promoted to the head coaching position.

“Brad has an extensive knowledge of the sport and he loves it as much as anyone.  He has my full endorsement as our next head coach.  My goal when I first started my teaching and coaching career was to change lives and to make a positive impact on young athletes.

“I’ve been around this wrestling program for 30 years and it’s really special to me, but baseball is my first love.  We never won a state title in wrestling with me as the head coach, but we finished second several times and I'm proud of that.  The stars have to align themselves a certain way for that to happen, but I love Soddy Daisy High School and I plan to stay involved in as many activities as I can,” Higgins added.

Jared Hensley is currently the Soddy Daisy baseball coach and athletic director.  He was promoted to assistant principal back in December.  Changes may be forthcoming along those lines, but that's another story for another day.

Right now, he just wants to stay focused on the current season.

“I’ve been wearing a lot of hats around here lately, but I’ve very appreciative of what Jim Higgins has done with our wrestling program these past six years.  Not only for Soddy Daisy and our community, but across the state as well.

"A lot of improvements have been made under Jim's leadership and the facilities are in better shape than they've ever been.  Expectations have always been high and he’s done a great job of maintaining them.

“Coach Laxton will make a nice transition as the head coach.  He’s been there and last lots of experience.  He also knows a lot of folks in our community.  I’m sure that he will continue to build on the legacy of what Steve Henry started and that we’ll continue experiencing much success in the sport,” Hensley concluded.

Laxton has also been head coach for Loftis Middle School in addition to his responsibilities as a Soddy Daisy assistant.  Now he’ll have to find someone to take that other job.

“It’s time to get to work.  I have no magic wands to offer, but it’s a good time here as good things are happening at Soddy Daisy High School,” he offered.

“I’m really excited and honored to be offered this job.  I wanted to be at Soddy Daisy long before I got here six years ago, but I’m just stepping into a good situation where the machine is already clicking.  There’s so much support from the administration and the community that it’s almost overwhelming.

“Again, it’s really an honor to be offered this job and I just hope to do it justice in the coming years,” he concluded.

(Email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

Commercial Appeal all-metro wrestling team

JOHN VARLAS | USA TODAY NETWORK – TENNESSEE
8 minutes ago
35553607001_5735307023001_5735289833001-vs.jpg?pubId=35553607001
The Commercial Appeal Sports Awards take place on June 5 at the Orpheum Theatre. Tickets are available now at Sportsawards.commercialappeal.com.
AUTUMN ALLISON|USA TODAY NETWORK-TENNESSEE

Tickets are on sale for the 2018 Commercial Appeal Sports Awardspresented by Farm Bureau Health Plans, recognizing the top athletic accomplishments in Memphis area high school sports. It will be held June 5 at the Orpheum.

Now in its second year, the ESPY-style ceremony will feature as its guest speaker former University of Memphis and NFL standout running back DeAngelo Williams.

Tickets can be purchased at sportsawards.commercialappeal.com.

Commercial Appeal Sports Awards presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans
Commercial Appeal Sports Awards presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans
SUBMITTED

Nominees for wrestler of the year, which will be announced at the Sports Awards

Garrett Bowers, Christian Brothers wrestling
Garrett Bowers, Christian Brothers wrestling
KRIS RUARO / THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL

Garrett Bowers

CBHS, So.

Why chosen: Bowers won the first state title of his career at the Division II tournament while also helping the Brothers to team titles in both the duals and individual tournaments. He finished the year with a 37-6 mark.

Tommy Brackett, CBHS wrestling
Tommy Brackett, CBHS wrestling
KRIS RUARO/THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL

Tommy Brackett

CBHS, Sr.

Why chosen: Brackett wrapped up his high school career by winning the Division II state championship. He was also named outstanding wrestler at the Gateway to the Best duals tournament in St. Louis and only lost twice in 38 matches.

Reed Cannon, Arlington wrestling

Reed Cannon

Arlington, Jr. 

Why chosen: Cannon capped his 35-3 season with a runner-up finish in the Division I tournament. It's the highest placing ever for a wrestler from Arlington.

Gabe O'Callagan
KRIS RUARO / THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL

Gabe O'Callaghan

Bartlett, Sr.

Weight class: 113 pounds

Why chosen: O'Callaghan became the first Panthers wrestler in more than 30 years to reach a final. He lost in the championship match to end 2018 with a 45-3 record.

Grayson Walthall, CBHS wrestling

Grayson Walthall

CBHS, Sr.

Why chosen: After finishing runner-up in 2017, Walthall became the third CBHS wrestler to win a Division II state championship. He finished with a 48-4 mark.

REST OF FIRST TEAM

Dayne Dalrymple

CBHS, Fr.

Why chosen: Dalrymple ended the year with a 35-13 record and was runner-up in Division II.

Evan Anthony

CBHS, Fr.

Weight class: 126 pounds

Why chosen: Anthony also finished second in Division II while compiling a 40-12 mark for the state duals and individual team champs.

Justin Donohue

Arlington, Jr.

Why chosen: Donohue won the region championship and ended the year with a 35-10 record.

Eli Hodge

CBHS, Jr.

Weight class: 145 pounds

Why chosen: Hodge finished fourth in Division II to conclude his year with a record of 37-15.

Dalton Cockman

Arlington, Jr.

Why chosen: Cockman compiled a 27-6 record and placed fourth in the state in Class AAA.

Donte Johnson

Kingsbury, Sr.

Weight class: 160 pounds

Why chosen: Johnson wrapped up his high school career with a fourth-place finish in Class AAA and a 42-5 mark.

Austin Antcliffe

Arlington, Jr.

Weight class: 170 pounds

Why chosen: Antliffe was 36-9, finishing sixth in the state in Class AAA.

Montana Doty

CBHS, Jr.

Why chosen: Doty's strong campaign saw him compile a 43-6 record and a third-place Division II finish.

Cameron Oliver

Bartlett, Sr.

Why chosen: Oliver ended the year with a 50-3 mark and finished third in the state in Class AAA.

Team was selected based on results from the regular season, regional and state tournaments along with input from area coaches.

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas.

Several Williamson County wrestlers named all-state

Posted by Sam McGaw
Date: April 18, 2018

Several Williamson County high school wrestlers were named all-state by the Tennessee Sports Writers Association.

Brentwood’s Chad Milasauskas (132) and CJ Grissim (195), Franklin’s Job Dooley (138), Summit’s Sawyer Knott (170) were named all-state for Class AAA.

BA’s Logan Spell (138), Jordan McCoy (220) and Airin Spell (285) and Battle Ground Academy’s Conner Mitchell (152) made the Division II squad.

FranklinRoad_Spring2018_300x600

Nolenvsille’s Max Dansereau (106) and Wesley Miller (220), Grace Christian Academy’s Oliver Hunter (220) and Fairview’s Riley Bennett (126) and Jackson Clevenger (285) were named all-state for Class A-AA.

Page’s Peyton Marsh (140) and Independence’s Zanaya Shropshire (190) were named to the all-state girls team.

BOYS

Class AAA

Clearwater-Pools-Sponsorshipb

Trey Bates, Beech, Fr.
Trae McDaniel, Cleveland, Fr.

Grant Fetters, Wilson Central, So.
Eli Clemmons, Lebanon, Fr.

LeeCo_LoveYourHome_300x250

Hunter Borders, Wilson Central, Fr.
Gabe O’Callaghan, Bartlett, Sr.

Wesley Devaney, Bradley Central, So.

Kenny Harless, Stewarts Creek, So.

MP_BrentwoodGeneric

Brayden Palmer, Beech, Jr.

Michael Cannon, Arlington, Jr.

Lucas Gaines, Stewarts Creek, Jr.

Dominic Williams, Lawrence County, Jr.

Noah Horst, Beech, So.

Calvin Martin, William Blount, Sr.

Bryce Pond, Cleveland, Sr.

Luke Dezember, Lawrence County, Jr.

Cameron Henderson, Smyrna, Jr.

Chase Brown, Knox Halls, Sr.

Chad Milasauska, Brentwood, Sr.

Dillon Pendley, Tennessee High, Jr.

Luke Story, Science Hill, Sr.

Job Dooley, Franklin, Jr.

Alex Pergande, Wilson Central, Jr.

Michael Whiteside, Cleveland, Jr.

Dominic Fields, Tennessee, Jr.

Arthur James, Science Hill, Sr.

Enrique Gonzalez, Rossview, Sr.

Cody Mathews, Cleveland, Sr.

Austin Sweeney, Cleveland, Jr.

Josh Pieterila, Hardin Valley Academy, So.

Dalton Cockman, Arlington, Jr.

Michael Moultry, Siegel, Sr.

William Diehl, Science Hill, Jr.

Blake Spink, Clarksville Northwest, Sr.

Dontae Johnson, Kingsbury, Sr.

Dylan Quinn, Mt. Juliet, Jr

Landon Fowler, Blackman, Jr.

Max Greyson, Bearden, Sr.
Sawyer Knott, Summit, Sr.

Jackson Headrick, Bradley Central, Sr.

Christian Salter, Siegel, Sr.

Dawson Satterfield, William Blount, Sr.

Robert Hicks, Cleveland, Sr.

Antonio Mariscal, Rossview, Sr.

Bradley Williams, Clarksville High, Jr.

Brent Buckman, Knox Halls, Sr.

CJ Grissom, Brentwood, Sr.

Devin Gibson, Bradley Central, Jr.

Ty Boeck, Soddy Daisy, Sr.

Javier Salvador, Heritage, Sr.
Denzel Medina, Science Hill, Sr.

Jamal Miller, McGavock, Sr.

Michael Kramer, Wilson Central, Jr.

Luke Champion, Tullahoma, Sr.

Cameron Oliver, Bartlett, Sr.

Thomas Roberts, Anderson County, Sr.

Division II

Christian Morris, McCallie School, Fr.

Dayne Dalrymple, Christian Brothers, Fr.

Tyler Holland, Father Ryan, So.

Ethan Madaris, Chattanooga Christian, So.

Emory Taylor, McCallie School, Fr.

Jeremy Holloway, Notre Dame, Jr.

Carlo Guinocor, Memphis University School, Sr.

Charles Salvaggio, Christian Brothers, Jr.

Cody Chittum, McCallie School, 8th grade

Will Higgins, Montgomery Bell Academy, So.

Luke Spencer, Christian Brothers, Jr.

Harrison Nichol, Notre Dame, Sr.

Alex Whitworth, McCallie School, Fr.

Evan Anthony, Christian Brothers, Fr.

Tanner Thornton, Grace Christian Academy-Knoxville, Sr.

Bailey Rush, Father Ryan, Jr.

Garrett Bowers, Christian Brothers, So.

Zach Ward, McCallie School, Jr.

Hayden Hartline, Baylor School, Sr.

Joseph Tarquine, Montgomery Bell Academy, Sr.

Andrew Pace, Baylor School, Jr.

Lawrence Madson, Father Ryan, So.

Grant Speer, Notre Dame, Sr.

Logan Spell, Brentwood Academy, Fr.

Bryce Wittman, Montgomery Bell Academy, Sr.

Austin Atchley, Baylor School, Sr.

Garrett Lay, Grace Christian Academy-Knoxville, Sr.

Elijah Hodge, Christian Brothers, Jr.

Conner Mitchell, Battle Ground Academy, Sr.

Joseph Vogelpohl, Father Ryan, Sr.

Alex Atchley, Baylor School, Sr.

Eric Beecham, Grace Christian Academy-Knoxville, Sr.

Mason Reiniche, Baylor School, Jr.

Eric Hodge, Christian Brothers, Sr.

Hayden Rowland, McCallie School, Sr.

Hayden Alexander, Friendship Christian, So.

Thomas Sell, McCallie School, Jr.

Connor Duffy, Baylor School, So.

Nikita Kousivik, Father Ryan, Sr.

Luke Condy, Christian Brothers, Jr.

Riley Westlake, Baylor School, Sr.

Dominic Fisher, Montgomery Bell Academy, Jr.

Montana Doty, Christian Brothers, Jr.

Tristan Heckert, Goodpasture Christian, Sr.

Tommy Brackett, Christian Brothers, Sr.
Walker Robinson, McCallie School, Sr.

Will Watkins, Boyd-Buchanan, Sr.

Sam Reynolds, Baylor School, Sr.

Grayson Walthall, Christian Brothers, Sr.
Jordan McCoy, Brentwood Academy, Sr.

Stephen Christenbury, Memphis University School, Jr.

Chase Looper, McCallie School, So.

Airin Spell, Brentwood Academy, Sr.

Patrick Healy, Christian Brothers, Sr.

Tymon Mitchell, Franklin Road Academy, Jr.

Ryan Jackson, Friendship Christian, So.

Edited by Sommers