Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Knox News Sports Awards
highlights 2018

Highlights from the 2018 Knox News Sports Awards at the Tennessee Theatre Thursday, May 31, 2018.
KNOXVILLE

Elijah Davis strolled into the Tennessee Theatre Thursday night dressed for the occasion.

The Fulton High School wrestler was decked out in a red jacket, white bow tie and silver shoes for the Knox News Sports Awards ceremony. He had everything covered, including the pocket square.

"When they said red carpet, I was just like 'go all out with it.' '' he said.

#KnoxNewsSportsAwards: Knox News presented 33 awards Wednesday night. Who won?

Davis' fashion statement reflected his wrestling accomplishments last season. He went 39-0 and won a Class A/AA state championship in the 152-pound weight class. He was a finalist for the Knox News wrestler of the year award.

Fulton High School state champion wrestler Elijah Davis, left, poses for photo Thursday with his mother, Tynesha Davis, before the Knox News Sports Awards ceremony at the Tennessee Theatre.

Fulton High School state champion wrestler Elijah Davis, left, poses for photo Thursday with his mother, Tynesha Davis, before the Knox News Sports Awards ceremony …Show more 

J. MILES CAREY/NEWS SENTINEL

Davis became Fulton's first state champion in wrestling, giving the sport more visibility at a school that's recognized for its football and boys' basketball programs.

"Football and basketball have been king at Fulton," Falcons wrestling coach Marquis Dotson said. "My goal for wrestling was to get us on the map over there on North Broadway and I think we've done that. (Davis' championship) is a huge deal for us."

#KnoxNewsSportsAwards:: Keynote speaker Randall Cobb preaches perspective

Davis said that he played football and basketball in middle school. He's apparently coming back to football. Fulton football coach Rob Black said Thursday that Davis came out for spring practice and was deployed at linebacker. Black said Davis will be a good fit on special teams as well.

These sports, along with Davis' experience with boxing, have enhanced everything from his footwork to his strength. Dotson said he required all the wrestlers to run cross-country last fall, which boosted their endurance as well.

"They all feed off one another," Dotson said. "It all helps the athlete grow."

Davis has been on quite a growth spurt. He said he felt like an "outcast" at the state wrestling meet as a freshman. As a sophomore, he gained more traction by finishing sixth.

"He was so down," Dotson said. "He said, 'I'm going to get to the finals,' ''

The championship now will serve as a springboard into his senior year.

"This is just a marker for me," Davis said. "This is just a stepping stone. It does mean a lot to me but I want to go above and beyond. I know I have more potential to do better things."

West Tennessee wrestlers recognized...

Wrestling: Tommy Brackett, CBHS; Garrett Bowers, CBHS; Reed Cannon, Arlington; Gabe O'Callaghan, Bartlett; Grayson Walthall, CBHS.

Coach of the year: Penny Hardaway, East boys basketball

Team of the year: CBHS wrestling; East boys basketball; Houston girls soccer.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/06/04/biggest-night-memphis-high-school-sports-commercial-appeal-sports-awards-here/665552002/

Congrats to the Left side!!

Edited by Sommers

Clarksville Academy names new assistant wrestling coach
By ClarksvilleNow.com June 13, 2018 3:10 pmcebooTwi
otero-1170x768.jpgClarksville NowDaniel Otero (Photo: Clarksville Academy)

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (CLARKSVILLENOW)- There is a new coach joining Clarksville Academy’s Wrestling staff for the 2018-19 season. Daniel Otero joins Clarksville Academy alum Nick Williamson to revitalize the wrestling program.

“Coach Otero’s combination of his professional experience in operations, long athletic career, vision for wrestling, character, integrity, and leadership skills on and off the mats makes him the right coach for the new wrestling program at Clarksville Academy,” says Head Coach Nick Williamson.

Otero is decorated in 15 years of coaching experience, including two years as head coach for Middle Tennessee State University Club Wrestling program. Other experience includes competing at the next level by wrestling at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga under Coach Ralph Manning, Mark Leon, and Chuck Barbee.

Prior to University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Otero helped lead Northeast High School to their first district and regional championships and finished his high school career as a two-time state medalist. He finished state runner-up once throughout his high school career. 

http://clarksvillenow.com/local/apsu-college-of-ed-looks-at-china-for-potential-students/

Rossville pro wrestler does WWE 205 Livewdef.comFree - In Google Play  ROSSVILLE, Ga. (WDEF) – Rossville resident Joey Lynch has made a big stride in his wrestling career.

Earlier this week, the pro wrestler achieved his goal to be on WWE.

In August, he’ll be at the 2018 Scenic City Invitational Tournament at Soddy Daisy High School.

- Advertisement -
He appeared on WWE 205 Live as Steve Irby.

“It was just kind of mind blowing to just be in that environment around them kind of guys. I never thought I would get the chance to be on a stage like that to show everybody, the world what I had,” he said.

Lynch got into wrestling with his two brothers and as a kid nearly 15 years ago.

“I think we was just born to do it. It started back here in our backyard,” Lynch said.

Lynch said he and his brothers learned different wrestling moves just by watching TV.

But, he also attributes his abilities to martial arts.

Something his dad taught for 25 years.

“Wrestling has always been a dream of his, and a dream of mine for him,” Lynch’s father said.

“The parents have always told us, ‘oh you’re going to grow out of it one day,’ and I keep asking them, ‘when’s that day coming, when are we going to grow out of this,'” Lynch said.

The 31-year-old now spends a lot of time traveling across the U.S. to wrestle.

He’s nicknamed “Mr. 423” and “King of the Moonsault.”

Since his appearance on WWE, Lynch and his family, the “Lynch Mob,” said they’ve received a lot of community support.

His wife, and mother of their 7-year-old son, Morgan Lynch said it has been a long time coming, but she’s excited for her husband and his future in wrestling.

“Our family as a whole has been through a lot to get where we are, and I’m just so proud of him, really am, really proud,” Morgan said.

“These roads traveling over and over every weekend for 10 hours at a time, it’s not easy. It’s draining, but it’s what I want to do. It’s what I want to do. I want to live my dream,” Lynch said.

Lynch lost the WWE match-up.

You can catch him live locally.

In August, he’ll be at the 2018 Scenic City Invitational Tournament at Soddy Daisy High School.

IMG_0593-232x300.jpg IMG_0602-205x300.jpg

SDF's EAnytime. Anywhere.

Talk to Us

Talk to News 12 anchors, reporters and meteorologists. When you see news happening, share it! We’d love to hear from you.

Instagram.pngTwitter.pngFacebook-1.png

On 6/14/2018 at 1:22 AM, Sommers said:

Clarksville Academy names new assistant wrestling coach
By ClarksvilleNow.com June 13, 2018 3:10 pmcebooTwi
otero-1170x768.jpgClarksville NowDaniel Otero (Photo: Clarksville Academy)

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (CLARKSVILLENOW)- There is a new coach joining Clarksville Academy’s Wrestling staff for the 2018-19 season. Daniel Otero joins Clarksville Academy alum Nick Williamson to revitalize the wrestling program.

“Coach Otero’s combination of his professional experience in operations, long athletic career, vision for wrestling, character, integrity, and leadership skills on and off the mats makes him the right coach for the new wrestling program at Clarksville Academy,” says Head Coach Nick Williamson.

Otero is decorated in 15 years of coaching experience, including two years as head coach for Middle Tennessee State University Club Wrestling program. Other experience includes competing at the next level by wrestling at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga under Coach Ralph Manning, Mark Leon, and Chuck Barbee.

Prior to University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Otero helped lead Northeast High School to their first district and regional championships and finished his high school career as a two-time state medalist. He finished state runner-up once throughout his high school career. 

http://clarksvillenow.com/local/apsu-college-of-ed-looks-at-china-for-potential-students/

Clarksville Academy better keep this guy as long as they can!

by WTVC

Thursday, June 21st 2018

8f5f9576-46b2-48af-8bf4-d3f0e82b077d-large16x9_KyleRuschell.png?1529588108725

Photo: GoMocs.com

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — University of Tennessee at Chattanooga head wrestling coach Heath Eslinger announced the addition of Kyle Ruschell to the Mocs wrestling staff on Wednesday. Ruschell replaces David Hoffman who is leaving to become the head coach at his high school alma mater, The Hill School in Pottstown, Pa.

Ruschell spent the previous eight seasons as an assistant coach at Wisconsin. A former member of the U.S. National Team (2014-15), he was a two-time All-American for the Badgers (2007-10).

"We are extremely excited to have Kyle join our staff," stated Eslinger. "He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our program. He has been around college wrestling, as a coach and a competitor, for a long time. I am excited for him to use that experience to make Chattanooga wrestling better."

As a member of the Wisconsin coaching staff, Ruschell specialized in leg riding, shot defense, scrambles, high level attacks and finishes. He coached five Badgers to seven All-America honors.

Ruschell helped Isaac Jordan win his first Big Ten championship and earn four All-America honors. Jordan was the program's first Big Ten champion since Trevor Brandvold in 2011.

Ruschell also coached Evan Wick to a third place finish at NCAAs in 2018, along with Ryan Taylor and Connor Medbery to All-America honors in 2015. In 2017, the Badgers sent nine wrestlers to the NCAA Championships, marking the program's highest number of qualifiers since 2007.

Ruschell has twice compete in the World Team trials in Fargo, N.D., most recently in 2018. He made the U.S. National Team in 2014. He placed third in the U.S. Open and finished third in Phase II of the World Team Trials after beating two-time national champion Kellen Russell from Michigan and national team member Frank Mollinaro, who was a national champion for Penn State.

In the fight to "Save Olympic Wrestling", Ruschell was asked to be a representative for the sport at the Kentucky state capital as they passed a state bylaw to keep wrestling in the Olympics.

The Crittenden, Ky. native was a four-time NCAA championship qualifier for the Badgers, earning All-America honors twice at 149 lbs. The four-year letter winner served as team captain his junior and senior seasons.

Ruschell is the only two-time All-American from Kentucky and the highest placer in the NCAA Division I championships. At Ryle High School, Ruschell was a two-time state champion and four-time conference champion.

• 2 weeks later...

Coffee Co High

c2e9ff80-433c-11e8-9cbc-b3b181f1d155.png

Raiders hire Sullivan as new assistant wrestling coach 

• Jul 3, 2018 

Coffee County Central High School has hired Michael Sullivan to be an assistant wrestling coach at the school, athletics director Rebecca Koger announced Tuesday. 

Sullivan will be teaching Math at CHS. He is a 2003 graduate of Tullahoma High School. He was an assistant coach at Cane Ridge High School in Antioch for the 2017-18 school year. 

Coffee County Logo
"He possesses a strong knowledge of fundamentals and techniques that will be of great value to our student-athletes," Koger announced in an email statement. 

Sullivan is anxious to get started. 

"I'm really excited to help get the program going in a forward direction," Sullivan said. "There is a lot of talent on the team and we look forward to having several state qualifiers."

Roger Barlow is the head wrestling coach at CHS. 

The Knoxville Focus

• RSS Feed
    • Facebook
  • Monday,

Vandergriff is Knoxville Hall of Fame’s first wrestling inductee

By design on July 8, 2018No Comment

Vandergriff is Knoxville Hall of Fame’s first wrestling inductee

By Steve Williams

When Chris Vandergriff wrestled at Halls High in the mid-1970s, Carter was the only other high school in Knox County that had a wrestling program.

Over the years, that has changed a lot and Vandergriff has had a lot to do with it.

For that reason, plus the fact that Vandergriff was a two-time TSSAA state champion and a longtime coach at his alma mater, Chris is being inducted into the Greater Knoxville Sports Hall of Fame this year.

“It feels pretty neat,” said Vandergriff of his selection. “I found out I’m the only wrestler in it. That’s special. I’ll always be the first.”

Vandergriff went on to letter four years at UT and finished in third place in the SEC tournament’s unlimited weight class as a freshman.

He was an assistant coach his first two years at Halls and then was head coach for 23 years, guiding the Red Devils to the State Dual-meet finals and 305 Dual-meet wins.

“His accolades as a state champion led to the aspirations I had as a high school wrestler,” said Shannon Sayne, the current Halls wrestling coach. “I looked up to him.

“Now as a coach, I look back and have even more respect for him. I’m seeing things like the time it takes to be away from your family and other things he had to endure. It’s a solid accomplishment to coach as long as he did.”

Vandergriff  has really never left the sport.

“Chris has done a lot for the sport across the state and mainly in the East Tennessee area,” said Sayne, who himself was a two-time state champion and has been Halls’ coach for 13 years. “He’s done camps for teams just starting programs.

“A lot of teams in East Tennessee can attribute Chris Vandergriff for helping start their programs.”

In recent years, Vandergriff has helped First Baptist Academy in Powell start a wrestling program.

Vandergriff also has put together and keeps a current contact list of coaches for the entire state.

“That’s another selfless act to help out wrestling across the state,” said Sayne.

That contact list is not only beneficial to coaches; it has created a bond for the sport.

“There’s no doubt he’s a pioneer for wrestling in the state of Tennessee,” added Sayne.

Vandergriff also has developed and continued middle school and kids’ wrestling programs in the Knoxville area.

He was inducted into the Tennessee Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame and received the “Lifetime Achievement” award in 2007.

The 37th annual dinner and induction ceremony will be held Aug. 7 at the Knoxville Convention Center. R.A. Dickey, former UT pitcher and the 2012 NL Cy Young award winner, will be the guest speaker.

Other members of the 2018 Hall of Fame class include Alcoa football coach Gary Rankin, former UT track athlete Tony Parrilla, former UT and Central baseball player Bubba Trammell, former Fulton football coach Buck Coatney, former Webb basketball coach Elliott Stroupe, former UT and Austin-East football player Joey Clinkscales, gymnastics coach Lisa Savage, local golfer Rock Saraceni and track and field official Stanley Underwood.

Proceeds from the event benefit the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Tennessee Valley, which include 8,300 youth at 15 club sites.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Coach!!

UTC Wrestling Coach Heath Eslinger Resigns

Thursday, July 19, 2018
Heath Eslinger
Heath Eslinger
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Mark Wharton announced the resignation of wrestling head coach Heath Eslinger today.  Eslinger, who spent nine seasons as head coach of his alma mater, informed Wharton of his decision this morning. 

"It was always my hope that Heath Eslinger spend the rest of his career leading our wrestling program," stated Wharton.  "He is an outstanding coach and an even better human being.  We are certainly going to miss him.

"As most of us know, he has become a sought-after public speaker and coaching mentor.  He has an opportunity to couple that with his faith and follow a new career path.
We wish him and his family nothing but the best as they embark on this new journey."

Eslinger was hired on July 11, 2009 and went on to win six Southern Conference titles in nine seasons.  He has a career record of 101-61 (.623), including an amazing 53-5 (.914) mark in SoCon matches. 

He was twice named the SoCon Coach of the Year (2011, 2013), and has coached two SoCon Wrestlers of the Year, two SoCon Tournament MVPs and three SoCon Freshmen of the Year.  The Mocs have also brought home 25 individual league titles in this tenure. 

"I can't express my gratitude enough for the University, this department, our alumni and all of our student-athletes and coaches for the privilege of leading this program," stated Eslinger.  "I have truly been blessed to be able to lead this team and be around such great people. 

"I am not leaving one thing, but rather running toward something that has been a passion of mine for several years.  I will do everything I can to help move this program forward and position it for success in the future.  I believe the best days are ahead for Chattanooga Wrestling and I know our administration is in full support. 

"My children have grown up here and we are grateful for the friends, colleagues, parents and many others who have made this special for all of us. I look forward to seeing what the future holds here and can't wait to see how God uses my family in the future."

The Mocs have been at the forefront of the promotion of collegiate wrestling during Eslinger's tenure with the creation of the "Chattanooga Strong" brand.  His aggressive marketing approach helped UTC set attendance records in Maclellan Gym, including a sold out crowd (2,639) for the Iowa match in 2013.

Eslinger orchestrated the move of the Southern Scuffle to Chattanooga's McKenzie Arena in 2012.  The Southern Scuffle has grown into the top in-season collegiate tournament in the nation.

There has also been a marked improvement in the classroom under Eslinger's watch.  The Mocs have finished in the top-10 in the nation in team grade-point-average among wrestling programs three times and topped a 3.0 GPA as a team for the first time in the fall of 2016.  They repeated that feat with another 3.0 semester in the fall of 2017.

"Kyle Ruschell will serve as the Interim Head Coach and we will begin a national search for a replacement immediately," added Wharton.  "Like all of our positions at Chattanooga, I fully expect to receive interest from highly qualified candidates from across the country.  Coach Eslinger carried on the outstanding tradition of Chattanooga Wrestling, and I look forward to finding the next person who is the right fit to lead our program."