Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Buford wrestler Logan Ashton selected to Team USA for Dream Team Classic

• From Staff Reports
  • Mar 5, 2019 Updated 22 hrs ago
    •  
Gwinnett girls find a league of their own at State Traditional Wrestling

Buford's Logan Ashton competes in this year's Georgia High School Wrestling Championships. (Photo: Cory Hancock)

Cory Hancock

Buford senior Logan Ashton has been selected to Team USA for the Dream Team Classic, scheduled for April 6 in Chicago.

Wrestling USA selects one senior wrestler in each weight class to wrestle for Team USA in the prestigious event.

Ashton, a Stanford signee, will compete for Team USA at 113 pounds. He finishes his high school career with a 184-11 record, two state championships, two state runner-up finishes and two National High School Coaches Association All-American honors. He is currently ranked fifth nationally in his weight class.

Area Under Flood Warning; Highhttps://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/schools/buford/buford-wrestler-logan-ashton-selected-to-team-usa-for-dream/article_9c6dffda-3f8c-11e9-9fd6-0b1000a4485d.html Winds Exp

________------___ec

Congrats to UTC for snagging Florida 2x State champ...

Lake Highland Prep wrestling 

Logan Andrew, who signed with Tennessee-Chattanooga, defeated Rockledge’s Charles Alexander by fall at the 4:12 mark. Andrew said he had faced Alexander a couple times this season, pinning him in the first period.

After making the varsity as a junior, Andrew won titles in both years on varsity.

“They’re pretty cool,” said Andrew of his titles. “It’s my last year.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/os-sp-state-lake-highland-wrestling-0310-story.html

cdb-nameplate.png
Toggle navigationMain menu

pwNotices-banner.png

Wow what a winter

CANNON's  CORNER

Posted Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:03 pm
Joe Cannon

Wow, what a winter sports season for Bradley County!

A trio of state team championships, plus two other TSSAA tournament qualifiers, to go with four individual wrestling state champs among 13 state medalists.

It wasn't just the high schoolers providing the excitement as the Lee University basketball Lady Flames captured their first Gulf South Conference title.

While Cleveland High repeated as the TSSAA State Duals and Traditional wrestling best, earning its 14th and 15th overall top trophies, the Bradley Central Bearettes claimed their first basketball Gold Ball in 43 years.

The Blue Raider hoopsters also returned to Murfreesboro for the first time since 2005, but ran into a "tall" order against the three-time state champion Memphis East squad.

Meanwhile, the Bear matmen made their 21st state duals, advancing to their 20th championship match, marking the fifth time they have faced Cleveland for the crown.

Both Bradley and the Raiders sent a state qualifier in each of the 14 weight classes for the TSSAA Traditionals, while Walker Valley had seven make the individual field.

Cleveland finished with four individual state champions among its eight medalists.

After finishing as a state runner-up in 2018, nationally-ranked sophomore Trae McDaniel wrapped up a perfect 39-0 season with the 106-pound title.

Top-ranked Jackson Bradford, also a 10th-grader, went 31-6 during the mat season and his 7-5 decision over Thomas Borders from Wilson Central to claim the state 113-pound crown was voted the event's "Best Match." 

After transferring in from East Hamilton for his senior season, UT-Chattanooga signee Grant Lundy went 42-4 on his way to the 145-pound championship.

Making it back-to-back state titles, senior Austin Sweeney also went 42-4 this winter while capturing the 152-pound crown.

Bradley came home with four state medalists while Walker Valley had one as sophomore Jaden Langford stunned the heavyweight division for a runner-up finish.............

...................He is the son of 1988 Raider 160-pound state champion Lionel Langford. His uncle, Howard Langford, also won the 126-pound state crown while wearing a Cleveland singlet.

22. HOWARD LANGFORD … Cleveland … ’86 state champ and OW … At UTC, 1992 NCAA D-I All-American … 2x SoCon champ, 1989, 92

Edited by Sommers

• 2 weeks later...
hc-nameplate.png
Toggle navigationMain menu

Subscribe to Monday Blast email

You have 3 free items remaining before a subscription is required.   Subscribe now!

Just got to believe

Cookeville's Maura Hart became the third CHS athlete to win a girls' wrestling state title.
Cookeville's Maura Hart became the third CHS athlete to win a girls' wrestling state title.
 Buy this photo
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2019
BY SCOTT WILSON

There may have been some doubt in the arena when Maura Hart took to the mat to compete in the recent Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association State Wrestling Championships. After all, the competition among the state’s very best was pretty fierce.

However, there wasn’t any doubt among those wearing the red and blue of Cookeville High School and, in particular, there sure wasn’t any doubt at all on Hart’s part.

The talented senior put all doubts to rest as she rolled through the competition, going undefeated on her way to claiming the title in the 140-pound weight division.

“The matches at the state championship weren’t the best matches I have ever wrestled. I didn’t pin anyone,” said Hart. “I won them all by decision. I won and that’s all that matters. They were all close matches, but I was able to have more energy and outlast my opponents. They were all very talented, but by the end of the match they were getting tired.”

Hart didn’t get tired as she worked her way to the championship, she is used to the hard work it takes to be successful in wrestling. She began competing for the Lady Cavaliers in her sophomore season and quickly saw success on the mat.

“I like to try new things and see how it goes, but I definitely thought about quitting the wrestling team,” Hart said. “The first month was really rough. The competition is at a much higher level than I have ever done, But, I don’t like to quit. I am pretty competitive, so I kept going and I stuck it out.”

“When she came in, she was a real strong wrestler,” said Cookeville coach Scott Cook. “I wondered what made her pick wrestling, but after getting to know her and watching her, she is driven. She kind of, whether she likes it or not, she seeks out difficult things and likes to achieve. She is an amazing lady.”

Hart said she entered the season with a state championship in her mind, something she could shoot for throughout the year. Hart’s victory makes her the third Lady Cavalier — joining Selena Garcia and Lisa Garcia — to win a state wrestling title.

“I was sixth at the state last season and I wasn’t very happy with that,” Hart remembered.

“I can remember leaving the gym that day saying, ‘I could win this next year.’ I worked hard during the offseason and I thought I improved a lot during the regular season.”

And the hard work paid off. Hart opened the state meet with a 6-4 decision over Elizabeth Curry of Montgomery Central. She followed that win up with a 3-0 victory over Katy Champion of Tullahoma.

In the final, Hart battled Saqara Buchanan of Rossview and had to come from behind to capture the tough 5-2 victory.

“I was a little nervous heading into the matches,” said Hart, who went undefeated throughout the season. “I won the first match in overtime and (through everything) I just kept thinking how I wanted to be a state champ. I just pushed through it. In the second match, I had beat her during the regular season. I went down 2-0 in the championship match and then scored all my points late. That girl was really strong and quick, but I think I just wanted it more.”

“Maura got through the tough matches the same way she got through the year. She didn’t panic, she stuck with her tools and her weapons, she didn’t get away from what she does,” Cook said. “What makes Maura such a strong wrestler is she’s very physical because she’s worked hard in the weight room.

“Her second match was a close match, but Maura had it in hand most of the match. In the championship match, the girl was very strong. Maura stayed patient, fought hard. It was an amazing experience.”

Hart, who is heading to Brigham Young University after graduation, had several opportunities to wrestle in college.

Coaches were very aware of who she was and sought out her services.

“I think Maura has done what she wants to do in wrestling. She knows what she wants to do and she has a plan,” Cook said.

“As long as she stays true to who she is, what she is and what she does, she will succeed regardless of where she’s at. She is driven, she knows how to work and make things happen. I am so proud of her.”

• 2 weeks later...

logo-compact.svg

Blackman's Landon Fowler headlines DNJ's 2018-19 all-area wrestling team

CECIL JOYCE | MURFREESBORO DAILY NEWS JOURNAL
9:00 p.m. CDT Apr. 10, 2019

VIDEO: TSSAA state individual wrestling tournament

0:00
0:00

VIDEO: TSSAA state individual wrestling tournament
Highlights of area wrestlers competing for championships at the TSSAA state individual wrestling tournament Saturday.
CECIL JOYCE

Landon Fowler capped off a brilliant wrestling career at Blackman with a second consecutive trip to the TSSAA state duals championship in the 170-pound weight division.

While he fell to Science Hill's Shane Diehl in the final in 2019, Fowler left a his mark at Blackman.

Landon Fowler, Blackman, Jr.

Landon Fowler, Blackman, Jr.  
TOM KREAGER / THE TENNESSEAN

The all-area wrestler of the year went 63-4 after capturing the state title a year ago. He also helped lead Blackman to a top eight finish in the state duals competition.

Following is The Daily News Journal's 2018-19 all-area wrestling team:

First team

Tyler South

Stewarts Creek, So.

Weight: 106

Why chosen: Medaled at the state individual tournament (finishing sixth) after winning the Region 5-AAA title.

Alex Rose

Blackman, So.

Weight: 113

Why chosen: Won two championship rounds and two consolation rounds at the state tournament after winning the Region 5-AAA title.

Gabe Pennington

Eagleville, So.

Weight: 120

Why chosen: Won a championship round and consolation round match at the A-AA state individual tournament.

David Medina

Riverdale, Jr.

Weight: 126

Why chosen: Won two championship round matches and medaled at the state tournament, finishing fifth. Finished second in the region tournament.

Kalani Meckes

Stewarts Creek, Jr.

Weight: 132

Why chosen: Won a championship round and two consolation rounds at the state tournament after finishing third in Region 5-AAA.

Cameron Henderson

Smyrna, Sr.

Weight: 138

Why chosen: The defending state champ in 132 reached the state final again, falling in the championship match. Won the Region 5-AAA title.

Trevor South

Stewarts Creek, Sr.

Weight: 145

Why chosen: Won three championship round matches and medaled at state, finishing sixth. Finished first at the Region 5-AAA tournament.

Jalen Brown

Blackman, Sr.

Weight: 152

Why chosen: Medaled at state and was leading his match for third place when he sustained a hand injury, forcing him to concede. Won the Region 5-AAA title.

Anthony Gomez

Blackman, Jr.

Weight: 160

Why chosen: Won a championship round and two consolation rounds at the state tournament. Won the Region 5-AAA title.

Landon Fowler

Blackman, Sr.

Weight: 170

Why chosen: The defending 170 state champ reached the state final again, finishing as runner-up. Won the Region 5-AAA title.

Brooks Sacharczyk

Blackman, Jr.

Weight: 182

Why chosen: Earned a state berth for the third consecutive season, reaching the state championship match after winning the Region 5-AAA title.

Luis Ramirez

Riverdale, Sr.

Weight: 195

Why chosen: Won two consolation rounds at the state tourney after finishing second in Region 5-AAA.

Bowdy Boyce

Blackman, Jr.

Weight: 220

Why chosen: Medaled at the state tournament, finishing fifth, after winning the Region 5-AAA title.

Jackson Riley

Oakland, Jr.

Weight: 285

Why chosen: Won two championship rounds and one consolation round at the state tournament after winning the Region 5-AAA title.

Second team

106: Chas Stokes, Oakland, So.

113: Tyler Vanderheyden, Oakland, So.

120: Kenny Harless, Stewarts Creek, Jr.

126: Liam Elam, Blackman, Sr.

132: Austin Marlatt, Blackman, Jr.

138: Andrew Farrar, Oakland, Sr.

145: Nathaniel Gray, Oakland, So.

152: Wyatt McLemore, Eagleville, So.

160: Dejon Glaster, Oakland, Jr.

170: Jason Dennis, Eagleville, So.

182: Nolan Cook, Oakland, Sr.

195: Caleb Perkins, Oakland, Sr.

220: Kameron Bingham, Oakland, Jr.

285: Hector Feliciano-Torres, La Vergne, Sr.

Girls Wrestler of the Year

Kortney Brinkley, Siegel, Sr.

Why chosen: Medaled at the state tournament for the second consecutive season, finishing third in the 103-pound division.

Coach of the Year

Ronnie Bray, Blackman

Why chosen: Led the Blaze to a top eight finish in the Class AAA state duals and sent multiple wrestlers to the state individual tournament.

9:00 p.m. CDT Apr. 10, 2019

WRESTLING: Senior trio share Catoosa County Wrestler of the Year honors

WRESTLING: Senior trio share Catoosa County Wrestler of the Year honors

Heritage senior Ryan Craft, Ringgold senior Tanner Stone and LFO senior Nathan Williams - the 2018-2019 Catoosa County Co-Wrestlers of the Year.

Scott Herpst

Three wrestlers in Catoosa County, one of each of its three high schools, advanced to the GHSA state championship finals this past season in their respective weight classes and classifications to cap outstanding years.

Today, those three seniors - Ringgold's Tanner Stone, LFO's Nathan Williams and Heritage's Ryan Craft - share the 2018-2019 Catoosa County Wrestler of the Year Award.

Stone said it "felt good" to win the award.

"I just wish I could have ended the year differently," he said. "It didn't end the way I wanted it to, but I gave it everything I had. I did more training this year and just went out there and tried to compete."

Stone won first place at the Ooltewah Invitational then turned around the next week to defeat two former state champions at a tri-match at Sonoraville. He followed up a fifth-place finish at the McCallie Invitational by winning Area 6-AAA and Class 3A state sectional titles before ending the year as state runner-up at 126 pounds to end a 59-5 season.

"I'm going to miss my teammates and Coach (David) Moss, especially Coach Moss," Stone laughed. "I had a lot of fun with him and all the guys."

Stone said he is considering attending and wrestling at nearby Reinhardt University in Waleska, Ga.

"I went on a visit there and I really liked it," he added. "We'll see."

Williams recently signed a letter of intent to play football at Shorter University in Rome, Ga. after back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons. However, he proved his mettle on the mat in his senior season as well with a 44-11 mark in his final year.

"It's pretty awesome (to share the award)," Williams said. "We're all in the same community and we all strive to be No.1, so it's really cool to be able to share it with these guys."

After earning fifth place as a sophomore, Williams was on a mission in his final year in Red-and-White. He won an individual championship at the Murray County Invitational, defending the title he won there as a junior and went on to take down Sonoraville's John Knight in the Area 6-AAA championship at 195 pounds.

Williams would face Knight two more times to close out the year, once at the sectional finals and once at the Class 3A state finals, to cap a hard-fought, physical trio of matches.

"I had nothing to lose (this year)," he explained. "I knew I probably wasn't going to wrestle in college and that this was my last shot. I wanted to get some redemption for not being able to go (to state) last year. I had a lot of motivation from that.

"(Wrestling at LFO) has been awesome. I came in and we just got a new coaching staff. Coach (Kenny) Hill and Coach (Drake) Enloe have been really good to me and taught me everything I know. I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with them and my teammates."

And although football is on the immediate menu for the next few years, Williams did leave the door open for a possible return to the mat with the Hawks.

"Cutting weight would be difficult with the position (the football team) is wanting me to play," he added. "But if it worked out, I might give it a shot."

Wrestling at the next level is also a possibility for Craft, along with other sports.

The Generals' 113-pounder played kicker on the football team and ran cross country, helping both teams reach the state tournament, while simultaneously trying to get ready for wrestling season.

"It was tough," said Craft, who is also playing soccer this spring. "I just had to keep doing everything systematically. Finish one thing then go to the next. It was sort of hard, but I was able to do it."

Following a summer in which he was selected for the all-star team at camp at Virginia Tech, Craft went on to win two invitational tournaments this past season and finished fifth at McCallie. After he pinned his way to Region 6-AAAA and Class 4A state sectional titles, Craft fought his way into the state finals.

He ended his career as a three-time state medalist - he placed third as a sophomore - and a two-time Class 4A state finalist. He went 65-10 in his final season and 204-58 for his career at Heritage.

"(The season) went really well, I thought," he continued. "I did tie a school record for most wins a single season and I broke the (school record) for most wins in a career. That was great and it was good to get back to the finals. Unfortunately, I couldn't pull it off, but it was still a good year. It worked out really well.

"I'll miss the people and all the fun experiences, especially all the tournaments and getting to spend time with my teammates and everything."

Craft, who is also an Eagle Scout, considered Mercer, Sewanee and even Georgia to kick in college, but also decided to go through the application process and was recently offered an appointment - and full ride - to the United States Naval Academy, an offer he has since accepted. Midshipmen are required to play a sport at Navy and Craft will have plenty of options awaiting him.

Edited by Sommers

WJHL News Channel 11Nexstar BroadcastingFREE - In Google Play
Sports

Tennessee High's Dom Fields signs with SWCC wrestling

Updated: Apr 17, 2019 11:38 PM EDT

Invisible placeholderBRISTOL, Tenn. (WJHL) - Tennessee High School's Dom Fields will continue his wrestling career at Southwest Virginia Community College. 

Fields lettered four years at THS. He is Tennessee High's first individual state champion after winning the title twice. He is also a three-time regional champion. 

Fields has a 179-40 career record

In case anyone wants to get quicker and more specific news there's a few few ways like Google feeds, along with Facebook, such as...

FacebookGreenbrier Bobcats snag fourth in state championship wrestling.

Cole McCartney took an interesting approach with his opponent.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Greenbrier‘s wrestling team gets ready for competition at the state championships.  NETWORK – Tennessee Caleb Shelton competes in the state wrestling championships.  Tennessee Anthony Collins competes in the state championships for Greenbrier High School.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Greenbrier senior wrestlers pose for a photo at the championships.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Greenbrier wrestler Gavin Ledbetter goes for the pin.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee A fan records part of the action at the state wrestling championships.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Anthony Downing goes for the win while a referee looks on.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee The Greenbrier Police Department gave the Bobcat wrestling team an escort.   – Tennessee Fans support their teams at the state championships last weekend.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Greenbrier High School finished fourth at the state championships, held this past weekend in Franklin, Tenn.  TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Cole Matherly competes in the state championships.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Anthony Collins competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 180 pounds.  Gavin Ledbetter competes in the state championships.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Coaches and teammates react during the competition.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Toby Lynch competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 220 pounds.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Toby Lynch goes for the pin versus Alcoa.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Toby Lynch competes in the state championships.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Anthony Downing competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 170 pounds.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Caleb Shelton competes in the state championships.  Tennessee Greenbrier coaches Chris Hall and Josh Reynolds take in the action.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Tucker Tatum competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 152 pounds.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Zack Schlessman pins Hixon High School‘s number two wrestler in the state heavyweight championships.  - Tennessee Zack Schlessman competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 285 pounds.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Jesse Gervasio competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 138 pounds.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Jesse Gervasio competes in the state championships.  Ken Herndon/For the USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Cole McCartney competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 106 pounds. competes in the state championships.  Tennessee Noah Walton competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 132 pounds.  Picasa Noah Walton competes in the state championships.   He weighed in at 285 pounds.  Picasa Nathan Ford competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 120 pounds.  Picasa Nathan Ford competes in the state championships.  He weighed in at 145 pounds.  Picasa Noel Quilt competes in the state championships.  Picasa Tanner Lynch competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 195 pounds.  Picasa Tanner Lynch competes in the state championships. He weighed in at 195 pounds.  Picasa Coaches and teammates react during the competition. 
Edited by Sommers

Logan Andrew, Lake Highland Prep, Sr., 195

Buzz: Two-time Florida state champion is on his way to UT-Chattanooga after a 35-5 season.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/wrestling/os-sp-hs-wrestling-all-area-2019-story.html

Congratulations to Alex Mercado for signing to continue his education and wrestling career at King University

Edited by Sommers

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos who even went... And Wow... 14 placed at Ohio Tournament Of Champions...

Four Pennsylvania wrestlers won Ohio Tournament of Champions titles in the Elite Division on Saturday in Columbus, including a pair of Union City seniors.

Bears teammates Gavin Henry (190 pounds) and Matt Long (285) captured championships to join Canon-McMillan senior Kenny Hayman (132) and Freedom Area sophomore Trent Schultheis (160).

Two of the championship matches were all-PA affairs.

Despite giving up the opening takedown, PIAA runner-up Schultheis beat South Fayette’s Eli Brinsky 3-2 in the finals of the tournament, which uses modified rules and includes a single 3-minute period for each bout.

Henry, who finished third in Class AA this season, scored off a low-leg single in the first 15 seconds of his finals match with McGeary and held on for a 2-0 victory.

A fifth-place PIAA finisher, Long scored four takedowns – including two in the final 15 seconds – for an 8-1 victory over Blake Coffell of Michigan in the championship match.

Hayman, who placed fourth in Class AAA, scored a reversal with 13 seconds left for a 6-5 victory over Kentucky’s Thomas Deck in their final bout.

Four Keystone State wrestlers won titles in the Cadet Division, with West Allegheny’s Ty Watters (105), Harborcreek’s Connor Pierce (120), Mifflin County’s Kyler Everly (135) and Greenville’s Cole Karpinski (171) claiming championships.

Ohio Tournament of Champions

Elite

Finals

112–Christopher Calvin II Old Hickory, TN (Unattached) DEC Jayden Strickland Greenwich, OH (South Central), 6-2

118–Lucian Brink Coshocton, OH (Coshocton) F Jordan Rodriguez Chesaning, MI (Michigan Gold Pitbulls), 1:21

125–Jake Canitano Solon, OH (Unattached) DEC Camden Spears Plainfield, IN (Red Cobra), 9-3

132–Kenny Hayman Canonsburg, PA (Gladiators) DEC Thomas Deck Richmond, KY (Madison Central), 6-5

139–Gentry Deck Richmond, KY (Madison Central) DEC Jakerion Merritt Hopkinsville, KY (Christian County), 4-1

146–Brody Kemper Grand Blanc, MI (Grand Blanc) DEC Dominick Lomazzo Dundee, MI (Dundee), 2-0 SV

153–Austin Boone Ada, MI (Lowell) DEC Kaleb Rosen New Boston, MI (Unattached), 6-0

160–Trent Schultheis Freedom, PA (Omp)DEC Eli Brinsky McDonald, PA (Gladiators), 3-2

171–Thierry Jean-Baptiste Indianapolis, IN (Brownsburg wrestling club) DEC Austin Gibson Bridgeport, WV (Training Traditions), 6-0

190–Gavin Henry Union City, PA (Bears Wrestling Club) DEC Ty McGeary McDonald, PA (Gladiators), 2-0

220–Jake McCollum Eureka, MO (Unattached) F Luke Davis Port Huron, MI (Richimond), 0:41

285–Matt Long Union City, PA (Bears Wrestling Club) DEC Blake Coffell Metamora, MI (Goodrich), 8-1

Third Place

112–Cian Abion Detroit, MI (Silverback Academy) DEC Anthony Chrun St. Louis, MO (St. Louis Warrior), 4-0

118–Anrico Cunningham jr Sandusky, OH (Burnett Trained WC) MD Kai Burkett New Paris, PA (Young Guns), 8-0

125–Gavinn Alstott Corydon, IN (Red Cobra) TF Blake Boyers Fairmont, WV (East Fairmont), 10-0 2:46

132­–William Burgess Union City, PA (Bad Karma) DEC Tyler Seeley Johnson City, TN (Science Hill), 6-0

139–Chris Kelly Saint Paris, OH (Graham) DEC Drake Campbell Brownsburg, IN (Brownsburg), 4-2

146–Devan Hendricks Jamestown, OH (Gladiator) DEC Kenny Duschek Beaver Falls, PA (Freedom Area), 4-1

153–Alec Cook Weirton, WV (Gladiators Wrestling) DEC Wade Monebrake Eaton, OH (Unattached), 2-0

160–Gabe Jacobs La Grange, KY (Nlw) DEC Carlton Roberts Rossford, OH (Lake Erie), 3-2

171–Dillon Keane Bradford, PA (Bradford) DEC Brayden Randolph Manchester, MI (Clinton Wrestling Club), 4-2

190–Dylan McCandless Bryan, OH (Bryan) FOR Owen Amburgy Mason, OH (Unattached), 0-0

220–Garrett Cook Weirton, WV (Gladiators Wrestling) DEC Thaddeus Huff London, OH (London Wrestling Club), 2-0

285–Riley Kemper Burgettstown, PA (Gladiator Wrestling) F Kevin Johnson Lebanon, OH (Prodigy), 0:55

Fifth Place

112-Tyler Diggins Moon, PA (Moon Area)DEC Riley Wiseman Whitewater, MO (Unattached), 2-0

118–Caleb Schroer Sidney, OH (Troy Christian) DEC Gabriel Sutton Payne, OH (Wayne Trace), 10-5 SV

125–Seth Russo Spencerport, NY (Spencerport) MD Case George Ashland, OH (Unattached), 8-0

132–Jarrett Sanders Ashland, KY (Ashland Area Wrestling Club) DEC Brendon Mark Mishawaka, IN (Mishawaka Wrestling Club), 2-0 SV

139–Ethan Wiant Oak Ridge, PA (Redbank Valley) DEC Jacob Williams Ashville, OH (Teays Valley), 5-4

146–Trysten Zahoransky Hinckley, OH (Solon Wrestling) FOR Tyler Muldrew Bridgeport, OH (Gladiators), 0-0

153–Jack Janda Haddon Twp., NJ (Camden Catholic) FOR Cody Walsh Cherry Hill, NJ (Camden Catholic), 0-0

160–Vincent Scaramuzzino Croswell, MI (Cros-Lex) DEC Kyle Waldron-Flyte Marietta, SC (Science Hill), 7-0

171–Gregory Glover Brownsburg, IN (Brownsburg wrestling club) FOR James Penfold Metamora, MI (Goodrich wrestling club), 0-0

190–Trizton Carson Danville, IN (Red Cobra) DEC Keaton Grider Fort Wayne, IN (True Skill Wrestling Academy), 7-0

220–River Pappas Toronto, OH (GT Wrestling) DEF Diion Leavell Crofton, KY (Unattached)

285  Chris Berry Warren, MI (Unattached) F Khalil Marshall Country Club Hills, IL (Hawk Wrestling), 2:33

Seventh Place

112–Scott Kettel Columbus, MI (Richmond) FOR Ammaar Salaam Columbus, OH (Tigers), 0-0

118-Rhett Wiseman Whitewater, MO (Unattached) DEC Luke Gittens Rochester, MI (Roughnecks), 4-0

125-Spencer Murphy North Branch, MI (Unattached) DEF Chase Mclaughlin Jamestown, PA (Bad Karma)

132-Noah Comar Adrian, MI (Clinton Wrestling Club) MD Laron Ruffin Flint, MI (Ruffin Trained), 9-1

139–Jack Collins Cleves, OH (Barbarian Wrestling Club) DEC Zach Evans North Canton, OH (North Canton), 4-2

146–Parker Loera Bethel Park, PA (Unattached) DEC Abraham Meyer Rockford, OH (Grand Lake Gladiators), 9-2

153–Gary Nilson Macomb, MI (Roughneck) FOR Nate Wheeler Crestwood, KY (Nlw), 0-0

160–Neal Aldridge Hopkinsville, KY (Christian County11) F Noah Ratliff Reynoldsburg, OH (Cardinal Wrestling), 2:52

171–Gavin Cagle Knoxville, TN (Christian Academy of Knoxville) DEC Brady Fincham McGaheysville, VA (Eastrock), 6-1

190–Connor Majewski Belleville, MI (Belleville Wrestling Club) F Camerin Holmes North Tonawanda, NY (North Tonawanda Wrestling), 2:18

220–Honour Kline Goodrich, MI (Goodrich) DEF John Meyers Greensburg, PA (Greensburg Salem)

285–Jose Rosales Goshen, IN (Goshen) DEC Blake Amy Clio, MI (Clio), 2-0 SV

Cadet

Finals

90 Pool 1st–Justin Gates Smiths Creek, MI (Team Donahoe) DEC Zach Bellissimo Perry, OH (Perry HS), 2-0

90 Pool 3rdOwen Lehman Annville, PA (Team Nauman) DEC Ethan Burkhart Malta, OH (New Lexington), 6-2

90 Pool 5th–Kye Callahan Brownsburg, IN (Unattached) DEC Calvin Trigg Canal Winchester, OH (Unattached), 4-0

90 Pool 7th–Nathan Sanders Fredericksburg, VA (Vwa) FOR Noah Stein Pittsburgh, PA (Quest), 0-0

95–Xavier De jesus-remchuk Hornell, NY (Canisteo Wrestling Club) DEC Kevin Grunzweig Solon, OH (Solon), 1-0

100–Marlon Yarbrough Copley, OH (Copley youth wrestling) F Beric Jordan Mesa, AZ (East Valley Wrestling Club), 2:04

105–Ty Watters Imperial, PA (Gladiators)DEC Isham Peace Walton, KY (KY Extreme), 7-0

110–Ethan Birden Dublin, OH (Palmer Wrestling) TF Kaden King Amherst, OH (Burnett Trained WC), 10-0 2:21

115–Hunter Mason Greeneville, TN (Hammer Wrestling) DEC Calvin Eason Nashville, TN (Father Ryan), 5-2

120–Connor Pierce Harborcreek, PA (Unattached) DEC Reed Fullmer Wayne, PA (Malvern), 4-3

125–Gage Wright Mineral Wells, WV (Patriot wrestling club) TF Aiden Aiello Grove City, OH (DiSabato Wrestling club), 12-0 2:35

130–Kysen Montgomery Brownsburg, IN (Red Cobra) DEC Kyren Butler Akron, OH (Copley youth wrestling), 2-0 SV

135–Kyler Everly Lewistown, PA (Mifflin County) DEC Nick Hart Marysville, OH (Unattached), 4-2

140–Kyle Romano Alpharetta, GA (Unattached) F Trevor Weyandt Osterburg, PA (Unattached), 2:16

145–Zach Johnson Whitmore Lake, MI (Brighton) DEC James Scavuzzo Medina, OH (Highland), 2-1

152–Nick Sanko Rochester, NY (Pwc) TF Elijah Hunter Sandusky, OH (Unattached), 13-2 2:17

160–Aiden Curry Mooresville, NC (C2x) TF Matthew Furman Canonsburg, PA (Wwv), 10-0 2:23

171–Cole Karpinski Greenville, PA (Bad Karma) DEC Dennis Slovick III Burgettstown, PA (Burgettstown High School), 6-4

200–Ty Cobb Toledo, OH (Lewc) F Levid Rodriguez Paintsville, KY (Unattached), 2:28

242–Donald Bishop Ypsilanti, MI (Ruffin Trained) DEC Zane Christian Ashland, KY (Unattached), 6-0

Third Place

95-Jordan Butler Marietta, GA (The Wrestling Center) DEC William Smith Sandusky, OH (Pirate Wrestling), 12-0

100-Hunter Robison Edinboro, PA (Omp)DEC Jacob Silka Canton, GA (Liberty), 6-0

105-Brac Hooper Carmel, IN (Contenders Wrestling Academy) DEC Quintin Wolbert Wales, WI (Askren Wrestling Academy), 7-2

110-Braxton Lewis Suffolk, VA (Slaughterhouse) DEC Jashon Holmes Latham, NY (Journeymen), 2-0

115-Lucas Kapusta Jeannette, PA (Young Guns) DEC Khyvon Grace Moon, PA (Moon Area), 2-0

120-Bryce Kresho Jasper, GA (Liberty Wrestling Club) MD Braden Haines Lebanon, IN (Red Cobra), 10-2

125-Dominic Ditullio Mason, OH (Mason) DEF Gavin Garcia Indianapolis, IN (Brownsburg wrestling club)

130-Thomas Hoppes Hodgenville, KY (LaRue County Wrestling) DEC Bryant Beane Crestwood, KY (Invicta), 4-0

135-Quentin Whitehill Medina, OH (Medina) DEC Jeremiah Price Statue Road, NC (School of Hard Knocks), 8-2

140-Luca Pirozzolo Auburn, NY (Pit crew) DEC Rawson Iwanicki Andover, MA (Mercury Rising Wrestling Club), 2-0 SV

145-Jackson Hurst Kingsport, TN (Dobyns Bennett Highschool) DEC Nathan Cadle Bidwell, OH (River valley), 6-4 SV

152-William Scavuzzo Wadsworth, OH (Highland Hornets) DEC Mason McClair Columbia, PA (Team Nauman), 5-0

160-Brodie Porter Greentown, IN (Greentown Wrestling Club) F Moe Hakim Dearborn Heights, MI (Crestwood), 1:10

171-Ethan Finch Sheffield, PA (Sheffield)DEC Jake Aina Spencerport, NY (Spencerport), 6-0

200-Cody Brenner New Boston, MI (Nbwc) F Noah Tustin Waynesburg, PA (Young Guns), 0:54

242-Brayden Benson Grove City, OH (Unattached) DEC Anthony Gentile Greenville, PA (Unattached), 4-1

Fifth Place

95-Jericho Quinter Covington, OH (DeHart Elite) TF Adonis Lattimore Virginia Beach, VA (Landstown), 16-4 1:59

100-Kobi Burkett New Paris, PA (Young Guns) F James Anderson Bridgeville, PA (South Fayette), 2:17

105-Ridge Cook New Bethlehem, PA (Redbank Valley) F Wesley Wydick Granville, OH (Palmer Wrestling), 2:50

110-Nolan Banfield Mount Sterling, KY (Cwa) DEF Nico Taddy McDonald, PA (Gladiators), 0-0 0:00

115-Calan Bollman Osterburg, PA (Unattached) DEC Luke Bolen Willis, VA (Va Elite), 8-4

120-Brennan Watkins Kingsport, TN (Hammer Wrestling) DEC Benjamin Miller Howe, IN (Lagrange wrestling club), 4-1

125-Canyon Wells Copley, OH (Copley) F Austin Smith Saint Louisville, OH (Utica), 1:47

130-Mason Shrader South Lyon, MI (Brighton) DEC Jameson Mullens Port Clinton, OH (Elite Athletes), 11-6

135-Nathan Jerore Wyandotte, MI (Unattached) DEC Scott Vilums Louisville, KY (Invicta), 2-0

140-Carter Chase Marion, OH (Palmer Wrestling) F Gunnar Luke Mesa, AZ (East Valley WC), 0:19

145-Carter Kroll Ontario, OH (Ontario) DEC Jake Scherbyn Rochester, NY (Spencerport), 4-2

152-Jakob Hurley Galloway, OH (Unattached) TF Damien Galentine Loganton, PA (Unattached), 10-0 2:30

160-Landon Caldwell Saegertown, PA (Saegertown) MD Jacob Boulet Barnesville, OH (Unattached), 8-0

171-Kelyn Blossey Waterford, PA (Cathedral Prep) DEC Jc Lucci Paulsboro, NJ (Paulsboro), 6-2

200-Isaiah Street Brownsburg, IN (Brownsburg High School) DEC Colton Casto Widen, WV (Galaxy), 2-1

242-Max Fisher Nashville, TN (Nashville Catholic) F Jaxon Ramos Mount Airy, NC (Unattached), 1:36

Seventh Place

95-Will Miller Grand Blanc, MI (All American Grappling Academy) TF Leo Riley Athens, OH (Athens Wrestling Club), 14-2 2:39

100-Russell Ford Columbia, TN (Unattached) TF Deegan Herman Napoleon, MI (Clinton WC), 14-2 2:46

105-Charlie Conroy Ravenna, OH (Indy) DEC Conlan O’Donoghue Canonsburg, PA (Gladiators), 2-1

110-David Mcclelland Johnstown, OH (Palmer Wrestling) DEC Liam Plants Blacklick, OH (Palmer Wrestling), 6-0

115-Jake Thomas Columbus, OH (Pwc) F Ashten Armagost Greenville, PA (C P Wrestling), 1:25

120-Luis Bazan Bolingbrook, IL (Bolingbrook Jr Raiders) F Branton Dawes Washington Court House, OH (Blue Lions), 2:12

125-Daniel Adams Poland, OH (Poland Seminary High School) F Max Oprzadek Sandusky, OH (Perkins), 2:26

130-Derek Starkey Clarksburg, WV (Unattached) DEC Lucas Nagle Pinckney, MI (Pinckney), 6-4

135-Kodiak Cannedy Greeneville, TN (Hammer Wrestling) F Carsen Richards Grand Blanc, MI (Goodrich High School), 2:58

140-Andrew Dado Lockport, IL (Bolingbrook Jr Raiders) DEC Grant Kahlenberg Waxhaw, NC (Dark Horse), 2-1

145-Nick Dodman Sanford, MI (Unattached) DEC Toby Abbott Springport, IN (Cowan wrestling club), 2-0

152-Spencer Konz Tipton, MI (Wrecking crew) DEC Sammy Abdellatif Ypsilanti, MI (Ruffin Trained), 4-0

160-Gabriel Fisher Nashville, TN (Nashville Catholic) F Nolan Fenton Kersey, PA (Titans Wrestling Club), 2:29

171-Evan Daniels McDonald, PA (Gladiators) TF Coltin Bartley New Bethlehem, PA (Redbank Valley), 10-0 2:07

200-Junior Amato Bethlehem, PA (Redhawk) F Connor Mchugh Milton, GA (Raw 241), 1:38

242–Landon Mcpherson Beavercreek, OH (Unattached) DEC Wyatt Lindsey Sheffield, PA (Sheffield Wrestling), 1-0

MIDDLE TN AND TRI-CITIES WELL REPRESENTED

Edited by Sommers

Good East Tennessee Press in South Georgia...

Titletown wrestler takes top honors at National Tournaments

• 10 hrs ago
Titletown wrestler takes top honors at National Tournaments

Submitted PhotoTitletown Wrestling Academy's John DelVecchio will be traveling with Titletown Wrestling Academy’s National Team, Titletown Chaos, to compete in Southern Throne in Myrtle Beach, S.C., on May 18 and Summer Nationals in Atlantic City, N.J., on July 23.

With summer wrestling season in full swing, Titletown Wrestling Academy wrestlers travel around the country competing at National Events. 

John DelVecchio traveled to Kingsport, Tenn., in April to compete in one of the nation’s toughest national youth duals wrestling tournament where he returned as an All-American with a record of 7-2. This is DelVecchio's third All-American honor and second in less than six months, as he went 10-1 in the toughest national duals tournament on the east coast at Virginia Beach in December. Delvcchio is also a 2x USA Wrestling state placer (2018: 10U 3rd, 2019: 12U 4th). 

DelVecchio will be traveling with Titletown Wrestling Academy’s National Team, Titletown Chaos, to compete in Southern Throne in Myrtle Beach, S.C., on May 18 and Summer Nationals in Atlantic City, N.J., on July 23.  Delvecchio is wrapping up his fifth grade year in Pine Grove Elementary and will be attending and wrestling for Pine Grove Middle School next winter.

Marshall County Tribune

The 2018-2019 NHSCA Academic All Americans are announced

https://www.marshalltribune.com/story/2607555.html

Kudos to our Tennessee and surrounding state's student athletes

The National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) is proud to announce the 2019 High School Academic All-Americans for the 2018-2019 school year. This marks the 26th year in which the NHSCA has honored those who triumph in and out of the classroom.

This year’s selection totals 134 Academic All Americans. These student-athletes hail from 36 states. This year’s honorees excel in 13 different sports. The total breakdown is as follows: 10 freshman, 27 sophomores, 42 juniors and 55 seniors.

This year Georgia led the way with 14 Academic All Americans, followed by Massachusetts with 12, Texas with 11 and Tennessee with 9. The student-athletes averaged a 3.9 GPA, with 45 students coming in with a 4.0 or better.

Aiden Bowers competes in the sport of wrestling for Coach Derek Harrison at Christian Brothers High School in Tennessee. He has a current GPA of 4.0. Aiden finished as the state runner-up this year with a record of 38-17.

Evan Anthony competes in the sport of wrestling for Coach Derek Harrison at Christian Brothers High School in Tennessee. Evan has a current GPA of 3.9. He is a 2x state runner up and has a current career record of 81-30.

Benjamin Beaver competes in the sport of wrestling for Coach Ronald Comfort at Grace Christian Academy in Tennessee. He has a 4.0 GPA and is ranked #18 in his class of 89 students. Benjamin placed 6th in his state championships this year. He had a season record this year of 42-17 and has a career record of 160-64. Benjamin would like to major in Quantum Mechanics in college.

Garrett Bowers competes in the sport of wrestling for Coach Derek Harrison at Christian Brothers High School in Tennessee. He has a 3.7 GPA. Garrett is a three-time state placewinner, finishing 3rd as a freshman and 1st as a sophomore and junior. He had a 50-5 season record this year and has a current career record of 137-18.

Olivia Gasteiger competes in the sport of wrestling for coach Jon Renner at Science Hill High School in Tennessee. She has a 3.9 GPA and is ranked #75 in her class. Olivia placed 5th in her state wrestling championships and had a season record of 28-9 this year. She would like to attend the Savannah College of Art and Design.

Morgan Ratliff competes in the sport of wrestling for Coach Jon Renner at Science Hill High School in Tennessee. She has a 3.6 GPA. Morgan placed 4th in her state wrestling championships this year and had a season record of 25-14.

Luke Condy competes in the sport of wrestling for Coach Derek Harrison at Christian Brothers High School in Tennessee. He has a 3.7 GPA. Luke finished 4th in his state wrestling championships last year and was unable to compete at this year's state tournament due to illness. Condy finished with a 45-14 season record. His career record is 103-38. He will attend Christian Brothers University.

Elijah Hodge competes in the sport of wrestling for Coach Derek Harrison at Christian Brothers High School in Tennessee. He has a 3.9 GPA. Elijah is a three-time state placewinner, finish 5th as a sophomore, 4th as a junior and 2nd as a senior. He had a season record this year of 44-10 and has a career record of 123-53. He will attend Christian Brothers University.

Luke Spencer competes in the sport of wrestling for Coach Derek Harrison at Christian Brothers High School in Tennessee. He has a 3.6 GPA. Luke placed 3rd in his state wrestling championships his junior year. He is will be attending the University of Arkansas next year.

USA Wrestling, FloWrestling and the National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum have published its fourth National Girls High School rankings for the 2018-19 season.

106 pounds

9th  Jevani Alejandro, freshman, Las Vegas Nev., Centennial High School (14)

112 pounds 

17th Kerra Strevel, sophomore, Knoxville, Tenn., Heritage High School (10)

117 pounds

13th Isabella Badon, senior, Johnson City, Tenn., Daniel Boone High School 

127 pounds

20th Robin Yunis, junior, Clarksville, Tenn., Rossview High School 

9th Emma Walker, junior, Clarksville, Tenn., Rossview High School

17th Vivian Hurn, junior, Cunningham, Tenn., Montgomery Central High School (18 at 152)

9th Catherine Palmieri, junior, Woodlawn, Tenn. Northwest High School

10th Valerie Smith, freshman, Nashville, Tenn., McGavock High School 

...kudos to mid-tenn and tricities wrestlers

Edited by Sommers

• 4 weeks later...
CLEVELAND BANNER PHOTO, JOE CANNON
Posted Saturday, June 1, 2019 9:55 pm
Joe Cannon

Bradley County has once again proven itself as one of the top sports areas in the state. Looking back as another school year closes, local prep fans have plenty to be proud of.

Despite having just a trio of public high schools, Bradley County tied for the second-most team state championships, with three during the 2018-19 school session.

Matching Blount, Rutherford and Williamson counties with three state titles each, the foursome were just two behind Knox County's five TSSAA D-I crowns.

Bradley County ranked above much larger metropolitan areas of Memphis (2), Nashville (1) and Chattanooga (1). 

The state's top four most populace counties did have numerous D-II champs among their many private schools — Knox (7), Hamilton (7), Davidson (5) and Shelby (2). 

Along with double state wrestling champion (duals and traditional) Cleveland High and the Bradley Central Bearettes claiming their sixth state basketball Gold Ball, we also had a duo of state runners-up, as well as seven state individual champions and one second place finisher.

The Bradley Bears finished second in the state on the baseball diamond and the state duals wrestling mats.

Blue Raider wrestlers Trae McDaniel, Jackson Bradford, Grant Lundy and Austin Sweeney, plus tracksters — Tennessee signee Eric Parker (110m and 300m hurdles) and David Dorsey (long jump), who is headed to Tennessee State to play football — earned the top spot on the podium, as well.

Walker Valley sophomore Jaden Langford, son of former CHS state champ Lionel Langford, stunned the state heavyweight traditionals with a silver medal run.

The Blue Raiders also earned a No. 2 finish in the Boys 4x100 relay with a time of 41.76, just 15/100th of a second behind state champ Blackman, which included former CHS standout Micaleous Elder. The Raider runner-up relay squad was made up of seniors Zylon Cooper and Dorsey, plus juniors Kees Tjaarda and Jeffrey Perez.

After a second place finish at the State Track Meet in 2018, Cleveland was third as a team this time around, just two points behind Whitehaven.

Walker Valley sophomore Skyy Craig made quite an impression this spring with a trio of all-state honors after a fourth-place finish at the state decathlon, followed by a third place in the 300m hurdles and fourth in the 110m hurdles at the Spring Fling.

Lady Mustang junior Sophie Fredrick also brought home a third place medal from Murfreesboro with a discus toss of 120-feet, 6-inches.

Walker Valley senior Natily Haro  also earned a third-place state trophy with a tremendous run, posting a 200-plus average during the TSSAA State Bowling Championships in January. 

Along with his two state titles, Parker finished fifth in the triple jump at 43-feet, while the Raider 4x200 relay was fifth with Tusculum signee Arlington Ferguson joining with Cooper, Tjaarda and Perez.

The school year got off to a strong start with Cleveland earning its first-ever TSSAA Girls State Golf Tournament as a team.

Freshman sensation Hannah Nall picked up the mantle left by current UTC standout Rheagan Hall and lead the Lady Raiders to Manchester.

Nall finished 13th individually with a 7-over 79 as the event was limited to just one day due to inclement weather. Coach Matt Lowery's ladies finished seventh in the team standings with a 179 tally.

Walker Valley junior Dalton Sutton made his third straight state field, also shooting a 79 on the rain-soaked Willowbrook course.

On the volleyball court, Cleveland came up just one win short of a third straight TSSAA State Championship Tournament.

The Lady Raiders (25-12), led by All-District POY Anna Renshaw, dropped a 15-10 tiebreaker set to Cookeville in the Region 3 finals, forcing them to travel to Murfreesboro a week earlier than they wanted.

Cleveland not only dropped a 3-1 substate match to eventual state runner-up Siegel, but a couple of weeks later lost longtime head coach Patricia Flowers to the state powerhouse Star program, as well.

The county also had a pair of cross country teams make the "state race" with the Cleveland boys and Walker Valley girls teams earning berths. Seniors Jacob Garrett of Bradley and Lady Raider Emily Rominger both qualified as individuals.

The winter brought the highlight of the local sports success where Cleveland and Bradley met for the state wrestling duals championship for the fifth time in the last dozen years.

Coach Joey Knox's Raider wrestlers went 35-1 in dual meet action, while Coach Ben Smith's Bears finished 26-7.

Continuing to dominate the state wrestling mats, the two local programs have combined for 42 TSSAA titles — 16 for CHS, 26 for BCHS.

In the history of the duals competition, the Raiders have battled for the top spot a dozen times, winning eight. Cleveland is 48-7 in 15 state appearances.

The Bears have been in 21 state duals, making the championship match 20 times while earning 14 crowns. Bradley has a 67-7 record in the state duals tournaments.

Both programs sent a state qualifier in each of the 14 weight classes for the TSSAA Traditionals, while Walker Valley had seven make the individual field.

Cleveland finished with four state champs among its eight medalists.

After finishing as a state runner-up in 2018, nationally-ranked sophomore Trae McDaniel wrapped up a perfect 39-0 season with the 106-pound title.

Top-ranked Jackson Bradford, also a 10th-grader, went 31-6 during the mat season and his 7-5 decision over Thomas Borders from Wilson Central to claim the state 113-pound crown was voted the event's "Best Match."

After transferring in from East Hamilton for his senior season, UT-Chattanooga signee Grant Lundy went 42-4 on his way to the 145-pound championship.

Making it back-to-back state titles, senior Austin Sweeney also went 42-4 this winter while capturing the 152-pound crown.

Cleveland also got a runner-up finish from senior Isaiah Perez at  195, followed by Bear senior DJ Gibson in third.

Bradley came home with four state medalists while Langford was the lone Mustang medalist.

Father Ryan names first athletic hall of fame class

Father Ryan High School has announced the inaugural class of the Athletic Hall of Fame, 34 athletes, six coaches, seven teams and three contributors whose accomplishments showcase the legacy of the historic school’s successful athletic programs.

The athletes and leaders represent classes from 1929 to 1999 and were selected from more than 350 nominations submitted by the community since the Athletic Hall of Fame was announced last fall. They will be formally inducted Aug. 29 during the school’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony on the campus, with a special introduction at the home football opener Aug. 30.

Inductees are:

Athletes

Tommy Bateman ’75 – football, wrestling

Joe “Flip” Bates ’56 – football, track

Thomas “Tricky” Beehan ’29 – basketball

Willie Brown ’65 – basketball

Tony Carletello ’89 – football, wrestling

Joseph “Ich” Curley ’43 – baseball, basketball, football

James “Boots” Donnelly ’61 – baseball, basketball, football

John “Bubba” Donnelly ’69 – football, wrestling

Katie (Carter) Douglas ’99 – basketball, volleyball

Peter Ferreira ’83 – Swimming

Bob Forster ’75 – football

Willie Geny ’32 – basketball, football

Lou Graham ’56 – basketball, Golf

Jim Hagey ’46 – baseball, basketball, football, Tennis

Donna Harris ’89 – basketball, Soccer

Karen Harris ’74 – basketball

Kim (Caughron) Hulse ’90 – basketball, softball, volleyball

Paula (Holloran) Kennedy ’75 – basketball

Eva Lemeh ’79 – basketball, track, volleyball

Billy Lynch ’64 – baseball, basketball, football

Lindsey (Lynch) Magness ’95 – basketball, softball, volleyball

Kate (Maffei) McGuinness ’94 – basketball, volleyball

Jim Mondelli ’64 – baseball, basketball, football

Mike Mondelli ’64 – baseball, basketball, football

Kurt Page ’81 – baseball, basketball, football

Bob Reese ’42 – basketball, Tennis

Bernie Rohling ’40 – football

Brooke Siebel ’97 – softball

Joe Stamps ’78 – baseball, basketball, football

Joe Sullivan ’50 – basketball, football

David Thoni ’83 – wrestling

Thomas “Yogi” Walsh ’67 – football, wrestling

Chris Wilson ’78 – football, track, wrestling

Mike Wright ’75 – baseball, basketball, football

Teams

1963-64 boys basketball, the first integrated sports team in Nashville

1969 wrestling, the first state wrestling champions from Nashville

1974 state champion football team

1988 state champion wrestling team (Duals)

1992 state champion volleyball team

1995 state champion softball team

1998 state champion girls soccer team

Coaches

Louis Catignani ’44 – football

Jinx Cockerham – basketball, volleyball

Bill Derrick ’48 – basketball. Integrated Sports at Father Ryan

James “Boots” Donnelly ’61 – football

Joe Drennan ’57 – wrestling

Leo Long – first head coach: baseball, basketball, football

Contributors

Jim Carell ’54