Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

More Musical Chairs between Red Bank and Ooltewah as Blackman Resigns...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/7/24/328581/Dunbar-Promoted-To-

Head-Wrestling-Job.asp

Jackson, Ex-Lions Coach, New OC With Football Owls

Sunday, July 24, 2016 - by Larry Fleming

J.D. Dunbar had been promoted to head wrestling coach at Ooltewah High School.

Dunbar, an assistant with the Owls’ mat program since 2012, becomes a head coach for the first time at the high school level. He replaces Bryant Blackmon, who recently resigned.

The 36-year-old Dunbar is also the school’s strength and conditioning coach and assistant head football coach on coach Mac Bryan’s staff. He coaches the Owls’ defensive line.

“I always wanted to be a head coach, but never had a timetable for doing that,†Dunbar said Sunday night. “I’m very excited to be offered this position and looking forward to this new role I’ll have with the team.

“I’ve worked with some outstanding coaches and hope to pull from all of them and what they taught me. In the past, I thought there were decisions made and not made, but now that’s on me. I believed I’ve learned to do things the right way.â€

In other Ooltewah coaching news, Kerry Jackson, 46, has left Red Bank where he coached wide receivers and defensive backs the past four years and joined Bryan’s staff as the wide receivers coach and offensive coordinator.

Jackson replaces Drew Akins as the OC, but Bryan will continue to call the plays from the sidelines. Akins is now the quarterback coach and offensive coordinator at Red Bank. Durel Woods will coach quarterbacks at Ooltewah.

Woods had been a volunteer coach with the Owls and worked with the defensive backs in 2015 under defensive coordinator Doug Greene.

“I got to work with the guys in spring practice and since June I’ve spent a lot of time with them,†said Jackson, who is from Sweetwater and played college football at Middle Tennessee State. “Our guys are just pups and focusing right now on the details of the position, but they’ve gotten better.â€

Dunbar grew up in Florida before his family moved to Adairsville, Ga., where he played football. He attended Maryville (Tenn.) College and played defensive end and nose tackle for the Scots.

His first coaching job as a volunteer assistant in football and wrestling was at Heritage High School in Maryville. Dunbar came to Ooltewah in 2009 to coach football and was a volunteer wresting coach in 2010 as well. He was given a full-time assistant’s job by Wendell Weathers in 2012.

Dunbar has led the strength and conditioning program and been the assistant head coach  since Bryan left UT-Martin to take the Owls’ job in March 2013.

“J. D. is the face the kids see the most,†Bryan said. “He has been involved with wrestling the whole time and he’s our strength and conditioning guy, has weight classes, oversees our after-school program, heads up the summer conditioning program and sees the kids on a daily basis more than anybody.

“In terms of coaching football, J.D. is a solid coach and fundamentally sound when it comes to technique. You can see his defensive linemen constantly improving the little things, which is what you want most with this age group. And he’s a very intense guy, too.â€

Dunbar believes he has an advantage of a lot of coaches because he’s been around Ooltewah athletics for an extended period of time. He’s familiar with the student-athletes and they know him.

“I think it’s considerably more difficult if a coach comes from a different school,†Dunbar said. “I’m sure we might lose a few wrestlers, but me making the move internally I don’t think the (attrition) will be as much, especially since this is happening just a few weeks before school starts.â€

Jackson didn’t immediately go right into coaching after playing football at MTSU under Boots Donnelly – the Blue Raiders won three Ohio Valley Conference titles while Jackson played there as a defensive back.

For 13 years, Jackson worked in sales for Kroger and then went into collections.

When he “burned out,†Jackson looked toward coaching. He called former MTSU teammate Anthony Crabtree, who was the head coach at Beech High School in Hendersonville.

Being an education major at MTSU made Jackson’s transition easier. Jackson stayed at Beech for six years before making the move to Red Bank.

Jackson knew a lot about Ooltewah football from his time at Red Bank, but admitted hearing about the Owls for years while working and coaching in the mid-section of the state.

“You heard about Ooltewah a lot in Middle Tennessee,†he said. “They’ve had a solid football program for years. And this is another great opportunity to mentor young men, but also gives me a chance to keep that football program rolling.â€

The Owls have captured two District 3-5A and one Region 4-5A championships in Bryan’s three seasons and reached the state playoffs each year. The Owls are 30-7 overall and 16-2 in district/region play in that span.

Ooltewah is 47-15 dating back five years with five consecutive trips to the postseason, including quarterfinal finishes in 2012 and 2015.

Bryan said of Jackson, “Kerry brings a great deal of experience to our staff and he’s a secondary type guy, so that helps with his knowledge of the things people do with defensive coverages against wide receivers.

“He’s already done a nice job with our wide receivers, a group that doesn’t have a lot of experience.â€

(Contact Larry Fleming at larryfleming44@gmail.com and follow on Twitter @larryfleming44)

Note: More Coaching Changes may be occurring around the state as school is weeks away, Stay Tuned!!

Inspiring story... As Daniel Dennis was nearly broke three years ago, physically and financially, when he loaded everything he owned into a rickety old pickup and left competitive wrestling behind.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/wrestling/2016/04/08/olympic-trials-daniel-dennis-returns-to-wrestling-after-two-year-layoff/82786998/

Ex-Hawkeye, Olympic hopeful has quite a tale to tell

Andy Hamilton | ahamilton@dmreg.comApr 11, 2016

(Editor's Note: Daniel Dennis defeated Tony Ramos in the best-of-three championship series Sunday night at the Olympic Trials to punch his ticket to Rio at 125.5 pounds (57 kilograms). Dennis claimed a 2-0 victory (2-1, 10-0) over his former Iowa teammate.) 

Daniel Dennis was nearly broke three years ago, physically and financially, when he loaded everything he owned into a rickety old pickup and left competitive wrestling behind.

Iowa City Press-Citizen file photo

Iowa's Daniel Dennis, front, wrestles Northwestern's Eric Metzler in 2010.

His back ached. His shriveled-up left arm looked like it belonged on someone else. A neck injury sapped his strength on one side and occasionally triggered spells that would leave his left arm numb and unresponsive.

A sport that crumpled his dreams seemingly each time they appeared within reach left the former University of Iowa two-time NCAA all-American with emotional scar tissue, as well.

“I was done,†he said. “Absolutely and completely, I was certain I was not coming back to the sport of wrestling to compete.â€

With a few hundred dollars in his pocket, Dennis left Iowa City in the spring of 2013, unsure exactly where he was headed but certain his path wouldn’t lead to where he stands now.

The Olympic Trials begin Saturday inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena, and Dennis – after living in his pickup for five months and residing another two years in an old fifth-wheel trailer with no television, no internet and occasionally no heat – is a legitimate contender to take his comeback story all the way to Rio. The 29-year-old is ranked third at 125.5 pounds.

“If I compete to my ability at the Trials, I’m winning the Trials,†he said. “There is no doubt in my mind. And if I compete to my ability in Rio, I’m going to win that, too.â€

This is the type of unwavering confidence Dennis had always admired in others but hadn’t fully developed in himself earlier in his career. He trained with a pedal-to-the-floor approach in a quest to reach the NCAA pinnacle, but deep down he wondered whether he was good enough to beat everyone standing in his path to a national title, and anxiety would sometimes handcuff his skills.

But Dennis found a different outlook on the sport while bouncing around the country making just enough money at wrestling camps to stock his beer cooler and keep gas in the tank of the Ford truck that served as his transportation, storage unit and home.

David Scrivner / Iowa City Press-Citizen

Former Hawkeye Daniel Dennis practices in the wrestling room at Carver-Hawkeye more

It was a black 1986 F-150 with a rattle-can paint job. It needed new brakes and front-end suspension work. Dennis bought it online for $500 and poured hours into fixing it up at a Coralville repair shop where he worked part-time helping with brake jobs, tire changes and tune-ups before he left Iowa City.

He didn’t have a career road map at the time. He thought he might eventually make his way to California to take a high school coaching position, but he put everything on hold for the summer as he roamed through Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho working at wrestling camps, rock climbing and living rent free.

The old truck had flaws, but the bench fit Dennis perfectly. He could stretch out his 5-foot-5 frame with the top of his head resting against the door on one side and his toes touching the door on the other. He had a solar shower and cooked most of his meals around the truck.

Dennis spent his days climbing and his nights reading books. There were times when he’d go days without cell phone service.

He left Indian Creek after a week at the popular Utah climbing area and had a flood of more than 100 text and voicemail messages when his phone picked up a signal again. Three were from Iowa coach Tom Brands, who called to inform Dennis of the rule changes adopted by international wrestling’s governing body in an attempt to preserve the sport’s Olympic future.

“He was like, ‘These rules favor you. Go climb, run around, do whatever you need to and then come back,’†Dennis said. “It wasn’t in my mind to come back.â€

Former Hawkeyes Brent Metcalf, left, and Daniel Dennis, right, chat before practice at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Thursday, March 31, 2016.

A CHANGE OF PLANS

Dennis knew he could make enough money in wrestling to get by. He’d go to camps and clinics and sometimes earn up to $2,000 for an appearance. He thought he might eventually get into coaching and the father of a former Iowa wrestler offered him an opportunity.

Nate DuCharme had a roofing business and a son on the team at Windsor High School in a California community located 65 miles north of San Francisco. He knew Dennis through his son, Joe, whose career at Iowa was beginning when Dennis’ time with the Hawkeyes was coming to a close.

Dennis packed up the truck again and headed further west. He worked as a high school assistant, helped DuCharme with roofing projects and landed a job at a gas station.

A few friends told him about an upstart wrestling league that was hosting its inaugural event in Pittsburgh. He wasn’t interested – until they told him it paid $2,500 to win.

Dennis traveled across the country, blitzed through his bracket and left with a giant cardboard check.

Former Hawkeye Daniel Dennis talks with coach Mike Duroe during practice at more

“I bought my first house from that tournament,†he said.

It was a 26-foot trailer. The fridge didn’t work and he didn’t have television or internet, but his only expense was propane. Sometimes the tank would go empty in the middle of winter and the temperature inside would plummeted into the 20s. There were times when the pilot light would go out on his water heater and showers would take on a polar plunge feel.

But there were no distractions, either.

“That’s what I liked about living there and living dirt poor,†he said. “You develop as a person. I think that’s a very important thing that we overlook because we have so many distractions with what we have these days.â€

Dennis read books about war and climbing and exploring. He read the Bible.

He reflected on his wrestling career.

Former Hawkeye Daniel Dennis warms up during practice at Carver-Hawkeye Arena more

UPS AND DOWNS AT IOWA

There were 20 seconds left in the 2010 133-pound NCAA title bout and Dennis led 4-2 against Minnesota’s Jayson Ness.

He was on the verge of becoming one of the best national title stories in Iowa history.

Dennis never won a state high school title in Illinois, twice falling one point short in the finals. He compiled a 15-18 record in his first season with the Hawkeyes.

He redshirted in 2007 and missed most of 2008 with a broken jaw, but he edged out two NCAA finalists the next year to earn a starting job for the Hawkeyes. He won 30 matches in 2009 and became an all-American and had an even better senior season.

He shoved Ness to edge of the mat with 20 seconds left and backpedaled to the center with the clock still ticking.

“I tried stalling,†Dennis said. “In theory, I know how to control, but I don’t know how to blatantly stall. I was never good at stalling and I tried stalling for the last 20 seconds of that match. I should’ve been in control mode. I tried blatantly stalling one time in my life and that’s the worst moment I have in the sport of wrestling.â€

Former Hawkeye Daniel Dennis warms up during practice at Carver-Hawkeye Arena more

A quick misdirection change enabled Ness to duck under Dennis’ arms and lock around his chest. He tossed Dennis to his back with seven seconds remaining to win 6-4.

The post-match events still remain a blur of Dennis. He described himself as a “weeping, sobbing puddle of flesh†after the tournament. He remembers an embrace from teammate Brent Metcalf the next morning after the Hawkeyes filed off the bus, an unspoken acknowledgement of his investment and heartache. It was comforting.

"It's a life-changing moment,†Dennis said. “And it’s pathetic that’s a life-changing moment. But you have so much invested into something. It’s a game. We’re in a game. But it’s when you take the game so seriously and it’s so meaningful and it’s so valuable, that’s when it’ll ruin your life. Or it’ll be awesome.

Dennis replayed the match over and over late at night for weeks.

“Before I would just pout and whine and ###### about it and probably kept myself up doing things I shouldn’t have been doing, dwelling on it,†he said. “Now I can analyze it and use it as a positive.â€

Iowa senior Daniel Dennis, front, wrestles Penn State freshman Bryan Pearsall in 2010.

THE NEW COACH

Windsor High School had one state wrestling medalist in its history prior to Dennis’ arrival in the fall of 2013.

The former Iowa star brought college-level intensity and a fresh set of training methods. The Jaguars have collected seven state medals in the past three years.

“He has the right kind of mindset for a young athlete to attach to,†said Brett Colombini, whose son, Beau, was a state medalist for Windsor. “I think he resonated with the kids because he just came out of college wrestling a few years ago. The kids saw something fresh, somebody they could look up to.â€

The high school athletes would watch in amazement as Dennis more than held his own against DuCharme and Brett Colombini, despite giving up more than 75 pounds.

“He’d pester us and make us wrestle him,†DuCharme said. “The guy is a freak of nature. I’ve never seen anyone as strong as that guy.â€

Colombini won 111 matches during his career at Minnesota and placed fourth in the 1995 NCAA Champioships at 177 pounds.

Joe Slaton, left, and Daniel Dennis, right, lock arms as Dan Leclere, back left, and Alex Tsirtsis stand behind them during the Iowa Wrestling Media Day in 2008.

“I’ve never got ahold of somebody at a lower weight class like that who felt like a guy I wrestled in my weight class,†he said. “He’s incredibly strong.â€

One question seemed to surface each time Dennis stepped on the mat inside the Windsor practice room: Why isn’t this guy still competing?

Dennis would tell people he was too old and broken down. Truth be told, though, the time away from competitive wrestling had been good for his body. The strength in his left arm returned and he felt better than he had in years.

He might not have known it then, but his mental game was stronger than ever, too.

Dennis returned last March to Iowa City to spend a couple weeks around the program prior to the NCAA Championships. It soon became apparent his skills, strength and stamina hadn’t diminished during the time off.

And it wasn’t long before those inside the Iowa room started asking the same question: Why isn’t he competing?

David Scrivner/Iowa City Press-Citizen

Former Hawkeye Daniel Dennis sits with Iowa assistant coach Terry Brands before more

“I had a conversation with him in the sauna and I told him, ‘Selfishly, I want you here, but unselfishly, it’s got to be up to you and what you want out of it,’†said Metcalf, the No. 1 seed for the Olympic Trials at 143 pounds. “But even if he (wasn’t sure about competing again), I wanted him here because of how good of a training partner he is. The areas that he’s very good in … there’s really no one else in this room that can replicate that.â€

Others were more persistent and persuasive.

Former Iowa great Royce Alger came to appreciate Dennis for his disheveled beard and whimsical personality, along with his wrestling acumen. Alger launched a relentless recruiting pitch to add Dennis to the Titan Mercury Wrestling Club roster. He called one night last March when Dennis was back in the Chicago suburbs visiting his mother.

They were playing cribbage after dinner when Dennis told his mom about the campaign taking place back in Iowa City to get him back on the mat again. Her response was all he needed to hear.

“Your dad would’ve loved to have seen you wrestle again,†Jane Dennis told her son.

Tim Dennis introduced his son to wrestling when Daniel was 8 and experienced all the breathtaking highs and gut-punching lows by his side for nearly two decades.

“Daniel wrestling was the best times of my dad’s life,†Dennis’ older brother, Charlie, said.

Hours after the devastating defeat in the 2010 NCAA finals, Tim went up to Dan Gable at the team’s post-tournament party, put his arm around the former Iowa coach and proudly said: “Well, you didn’t teach him to stall.â€

Tim was diagnosed with a brain tumor three years later. He passed away in 2014 after a 14-month battle.

“He’d have been on top of the world right now,†Jane said. “He’d be so proud of his son.â€

Daniel Dennis stands next to the truck he lived in for five months in 2013.

TESTING HIS THEORY

It was supposed to be a short-term comeback. That’s what Dennis had in mind when Ryan Morningstar called last March to see if his former college teammate was closer to a decision.

“I’m going to put an end to it right now,†Dennis told Morningstar. “I’m going to come back to wrestle at the U.S. Open. I’m only wrestling one tournament, and then you guys can all shut the heck up and that’ll be the end of it.â€

The impetus for competing again was pretty simple for Dennis. He wanted answers. He kept an eye on international results and national rankings during his quasi-retirement and saw former college rivals having success.

“I’d see the rankings and I’d bet my life I’d destroy a lot of the guys in there and they’re in the top five,†he said. “Am I delusional? Am I crazy for thinking that I can mess with these guys? Or did they get that much better and I’m living a false dream?â€

There was only one way to find out.

Dennis had roughly a month of consistent training when he stepped onto the mat last May at the U.S. Open. He won his first three matches before losing in the semifinals. He finished fourth in the 26-man bracket.

He viewed his performance through the lens of his two defeats, technical fall blowouts against three-time World Team member Reece Humphrey and Olympic bronze medalist Coleman Scott. Iowa associate head coach Terry Brands looked at his performance in a different light. He saw Dennis competing with an unbridled approach.

“He always had something that held him back,†Brands said. “And that wasn’t present when he was competing at the U.S. Open. From my end, you have this really expensive commodity on the wrestling mat and all of a sudden he just breaks through.â€

Dennis listened to enthusiastic messages from Brands and his twin brother, Tom, after the tournament and came to one conclusion: They’re Hollywood-caliber actors or they sincerely believe he could compete with anybody on the planet.

He was determined to find the answer either way.

Dennis went to last June’s World Team Trials. He beat Scott in the Challenge Tournament before losing to Humphrey in the best-of-three final series.

The Olympic Trials suddenly became a topic of conversation.

“It was kind of like (Donald) Trump at first,†Metcalf said of the GOP presidential hopeful. “He kind of entered the race and you’re like, ‘Is the guy really doing this?’ And now he’s the front-runner. That’s Dennis. You’re like, ‘Is he going to live in a tent down in city park and just hang out?’ Now he’s the front-runner, along with our other guy (two-time World Team member Tony Ramos).â€

Dennis wasn’t sure he’d compete in 2016 even after his runner-up finish at the World Team Trials.

He felt like he owed it to Colombini and DuCharme to return to California and coach their sons.

Though nobody in the Windsor room wanted to see Dennis leave, nobody wanted to see him stay, either.

Iowa associate head coach Terry Brands, right, and assistant coach Ryan more

“He had some unfinished business,†Colombini said. “It was something he needed to go fulfill.â€

They encouraged Dennis to move back to Iowa City. His full-time job now is training to compete.

“I’m living in a very nice house now,†Dennis said.

There’s one question that follows him these days: What’s his plan after 2016?

“I’m not a planner,†Dennis said. “I’m not a planner at all.â€

Former Hawkeye Daniel Dennis takes a brief break from practice at more

Olympic Trials 

When: Saturday and Sunday

Where: Carver-Hawkeye Arena 

Saturday schedule: 9 a.m. â€“ Challenge Tournament for men’s freestyle (143 pounds and 275.5), women’s freestyle (128, 139 and 152) and Greco-Roman (130, 145.5, 187 and 216); 6 p.m. â€“ Best-of-three championship series.

Sunday schedule: 9 a.m. â€“ Challenge Tournament for men’s freestyle (125.5 pounds, 163, 189.5 and 214), women’s freestyle (106, 117 and 165) and Greco-Roman (165 and 286.5); 6 p.m. â€“ Best-of-three championship series.

Tickets: All-session tickets are still available at $75 for adults and $50 for ages 18 and under. Single-day tickets are available at $45 for adults and $35 for ages 18 and under.  Single-session tickets cost $30 for adults and $25 for ages 18 and under.

Gannett 2016

TSSAA is spreading out hardware to 9 football state champions

There will be two classes for all other D-II sports except bowling and wrestling, which will each have one class, thank goodness!!

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2016/jul/28/tssawill-now-crown-9-football-state-champions/378262/

Chattanooga Times Free Press

Just 4 Days from the Games...

Tennessee Collegiate Wrestler Haley Augello earned her berth on the Olympic team by defeating 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Clarissa Chun en route to the Olympic Trials title. She then took silver at the first World Olympic Qualifier in Mongolia.

A two-time WCWA national champion at 116 pounds, Augello has dominated as a collegiate wrestler at King University.

A 2011 cadet world champion, she is undefeated in 35 collegiate matches, with a 29-0 record in technical falls.

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/August/01/4-Days-From-The-Games-4-Womens-Wrestlers-Are-After-Team-USAs-First-Ever-Olympic-Gold

FloWrestling Extends Online Streaming Partnership with the Southern Scuffle

Aug. 05, 2016 Southern Scuffle

FLOWRESTLING, SOUTHERN SCUFFLE CONTINUE PARTNERSHIPThe University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and FloSports announced today that FloWrestling has extended its partnership with the prestigious Southern Scuffle.  Since coming to Chattanooga in 2012, the Southern Scuffle has grown into the best in-season collegiate wrestling tournament in the country.

FloWrestling has streamed the tournament, exclusively for the past four years and has been a huge part of the growth in popularity and prestige of the event. 

"I am excited that we are continuing the partnership between FloWrestling and the Southern Scuffle," stated head wrestling coach Heath Eslinger.  "Flo has been on the cutting edge in the way they broadcast our event and that has helped deliver the Scuffle to a national audience. 

"Their innovative approach, along with some outstanding competitors, will continue to ensure that the Southern Scuffle is the best in-season wrestling event in the nation."

As a part of this extended agreement, the Southern Scuffle will also utilize FloArena software. FloArena is the most complete and turnkey event management software in the market, allowing wrestling tournament and dual meet organizers to offer real-time scoring updates across multiple mats simultaneously. FloArena archives every match instantly and links those matches to the brackets.

"We are ecstatic to once again bring a tournament of the caliber of the Southern Scuffle into the homes of viewers all over the country," FloWrestling Rights Acquisition Manager Joe Williamson said. "FloArena improves the way fans interact and engage with wrestling tournaments, and we're excited the Southern Scuffle and college wrestling fans will be able to utilize FloArena."

This year's Southern Scuffle is again scheduled for Jan. 1-2, 2017.  Action takes place at UTC McKenzie Arena.

http://www.gomocs.com/news/2016/8/5/flowrestling-extends-online-streaming-partnership.aspx

Yost moves to McCallie wrestling, Bosken steps up at Cleveland

August 8th, 2016by Ward Gossett

Jake Yost has resigned his position as wrestling coach at Cleveland to take an assistant's role at McCallie and Cleveland has promoted long-time assistant Josh Bosken to take over the Blue Raiders' program.

Yost, who directed Cleveland to traditional and dual state championships from 2013-2015, was a two-time Southern Conference championship for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and was a two-time state champion at Soddy-Daisy.

Bosken was a state champion in 2003 for Science Hill. He has been involved with the Cleveland wrestling program since 2007.

For more on this story see Tuesday's editions of the Times Free Press.

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2016/aug/08/yost-moves-mccallie-wrestling-bosken-steps-cleveland/380161/

Cleveland High School names new Head Wrestling Coach

BY TAYLOR ELLISMONDAY, AUGUST 8TH 2016

Cleveland High School has named Josh Bosken as their new Head Wrestling Coach. (Image: Cleveland City Schools)

Cleveland High School has named Josh Bosken as their new Head Wrestling Coach.

Bosken has been involved with the Cleveland High School and Cleveland Middle School wrestling teams since 2007.

He has helped coach 54 State Medalists, nine State Champions and six state team titles.

His Higher Calling Wrestling wrestlers have won state titles three times since he’s been the Head Coach with the program.

Cleveland High School Principal Autumn O’Bryan said, “Cleveland High School has a rich tradition in its wrestling program with strong alumni support. Josh Bosken has spent much of his career investing in our local youth through Higher Calling Wrestling. His hard work and commitment have been a huge part of the development of our state championship wrestling program. We know great things will continue for the Blue Raiders.â€

After graduating from Lee University, Coach Bosken began teaching as a Special Education teacher at Cleveland Middle School. Prior to moving to Cleveland, Bosken was a Tennessee State Wrestling Champion in 2003 while he was at Science Hill High School. Cleveland High School’s Athletic Director David Turner added, “I am excited to have Josh as the Head Coach of Cleveland Wrestling. He brings a great deal of experience and knowledge to the program, and he is a proven winner as a coach and wrestler.â€

Josh Bosken is married to Sadi Bosken and is the proud father of Zac (9), Zane (2), and soon to be born twins Kennedy and Kade. Bosken stated, “I am extremely honored and excited to be given the opportunity to lead the Cleveland High School Wrestling program. I would like to first thank Mrs. O'Bryan, Mr. Turner, and Dr. Dyer for putting faith in my abilities to continue the success of this program. I would also like to thank my wife, Sadi, my friends and family, fellow coaches and coworkers, and Allan Jones for being supportive and encouraging as I begin this journey. It’s truly an honor to follow such great Cleveland Wrestling coaches such as Coach Schriver, Coach Miller, Coach Eslinger, Coach Phillips, and Coach Yost. I am well aware of the expectations that Cleveland Wrestling has, and I am ready to work restlessly to assure that they are met.

© 2016 WTVC |

http://newschannel9.com/sports/sports-headlines/cleveland-high-school-names-new-head-wrestling-coach

Edited by Sommers

As we begin to watch wrestling competition & after seeing a returning gold medalist in swimming (50 meters) at the 2000 games, leave and then come back to his sport at 35 years old surprise the world with another. Inspiring!!

Here's that surprising story incase u missed it, (C $ P'd above) developing for our 125 pounder making a big come back of his own...

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/wrestling/2016/04/08/olympic-trials-daniel-dennis-returns-to-wrestling-after-two-year-layoff/82786998/

Edited by Sommers

Something Tennessee can be proud of, thanks for the hard work there at King and to Moorman...

http://www.king.edu/news/haley_augello_2016olympics.aspx

Haley Augello set to compete in 2016 Olympic Games

United World Wrestling Rankings

USA Wrestling 48 kilogram preview

Olympic Women's Wrestling 48 kg Results Page

BRISTOL, Tenn. – 2016 has been a new journey for King University women's wrestler Haley Augello, who took a redshirt year to pursue her dreams of competing at the Olympics. Earlier this spring she took steps to make that happen and following a grueling summer of training, her dream will come to a culmination when she becomes the first American woman at the 2016 Olympic Games to step on the mat in Rio on August 17.

The road hasn't been easy for Augello who has spent this year training at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. The journey started when she won the U.S. Olympic Trials at 48 kilograms on April 10 in Iowa City, Iowa as the fourth seed. At the competition, she defeated No. 1-ranked, and top seed in the tournament, Alyssa Lampe 7-6 on a late takedown in the semifinals. The championship series then went the full three bouts against second-ranked Victoria Anthony. Augello took the first bout, but Anthony evened the tally with a win in match number two. Augello left no doubt, taking the winner-take-all third match 8-2, clinching the title.

However, the work wasn't done for the Lockport, Ill., native as the U.S. hadn't qualified her weight class for the Olympic Games. Two weeks after winning the Olympic Trials, Augello traveled to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia to qualify the weight, which Augello says was a unique and rewarding experience. Knowing she had to place in the top two, she made quick work of her first three opponents, winning by a combined score of 32-1 to clinch her spot in the Olympics and reach the finals.

"When I won my semifinal match in Mongolia, I felt really blessed," Augello said. "In a moment when you reach a goal of yours, it's almost surreal. I felt happy for myself and my family and all the people who have given their time to me. I felt really thankful that I was the one able to go represent America and qualify the spot for the Olympics."

Following her qualification 6,500 miles away from the Olympic Training Center, Augello's summer has been one of ups and downs as nearly everyone has preparing for an event like the Olympics.

"There are good practices and there are bad practices," Augello commented. "Be thankful for the good ones and be thankful for the bad ones. You can't learn, win, or compete without BOTH."

Wrestling has been the focal point of her year, but it has also brought many opportunities. Earlier this summer Augello traveled to New York for Beat the Streets, a Team USA event held at Times Square in New York as part of a countdown to the Olympic Games. She also took trips to Canada and Spain throughout the summer.

"I went to New York for Beat the Streets and saw how passionate the founders and investors of USA Wrestling are for growing the sport of wrestling," said Augello. "It was so eye opening to see the heart and soul that goes into being involved in making what we do possible."

She traveled to Spain for a camp in July which was very useful for Augello to see international competition and train with some of the top competition at her weight class. They spent a few days drilling before wrapping up the camp with a few days of live situations and matches.

King head wrestling coach Jason Moorman isn't surprised that Augello qualified for the Olympics, saying she has a great work ethic and was very successful prior to stepping on campus.

"Haley came to King with a lot of success under her belt at the Cadet and Junior levels," Moorman said. "One of the things that stands out for sure is how hard she works in the wrestling room and the weight room. I think one of her biggest challenges has been the mental game, and she has grown so much in that area, and really conquered that which is why she is in Rio right now."

Qualifying for the Olympics was only half the battle for Augello, who is ranked 17th in the United World Wrestling August Rankings. The field she will be competing against in Rio features 15 of the top 20 and nine of the top 10 ranked wrestlers in the World.

Top-ranked Mariya Stadnyk of Azerbaijan and No. 3 Eri Tosaka of Japan headline the field in Rio. Stadnyk owns six World and Olympic medals and has won gold six times at the European Championships. Tosaka will be competing in her first Olympics after claiming the last three World gold medals.

The World's second-ranked wrestler, Sun Yanan of China is also in the field as a two-time World medalist at 51 kilograms and a 2013 World champion. Coming ranked fourth in the World is Jyldyz Eshimova of Kazakhstan who is a two-time World medalist.

The field consists of five past Olympians, Stadnyk, Eshimova, Iwona Matkowska of Poland, Patricia Bermudez of Argentina and Carolina Castillo of Colombia. Eshimova won a silver medal in 2008 and World bronze in 2011. Kim Hyon-Gyong is also in the field as she is the last person to defeat Augello, taking a 9-2 win in Mongolia.

"In Rio, I'm most looking forward to stepping on the mat and competing, no doubt," Augello said.

Training and preparing for the Olympics is no small task. There are numerous people that have helped Augello throughout the journey and she is grateful for their support.

"The past few weeks have been super busy and I feel like I haven't appropriately thanked and expressed my gratitude to the people who've helped me along the way," stated Augello.

The 48 kilogram weight class competes on August 17 in Rio, starting at 9:00 a.m. EDT. All the matches will be streamed live onNBCOlympics.com. The brackets will be announced following weigh-in on August 16.

King University is hosting live-streaming of women's wrestling - Haley's matches - in Maclellan Hall on King's main campus in Bristol, Tenn., beginning at 9 a.m. on Aug. 17.

Moorman will be traveling to Rio to see Augello compete and he expects to see a great performance.

"I am looking forward to just seeing her compete, of course along with rest of Team USA," Moorman stated. "I am so proud of her, and excited to share this experience with her and her family."

As for his expectations. "Gold, no question. She has the tools, the strength, and the attitude. If she stays on her mental game, she can win whole thing."

Women's Freestyle 48 kg Schedule

Women's Freestyle 48 kg Qualifications

Aug. 17 9:00 a.m. EDT

Women's FR 48 kg 1/8 Finals/Rep Rnd 1

Aug. 17 9:30 a.m. EDT

Women's FR 48 kg Quarterfinals/Rep Rnd 2

Aug. 17 10:00 a.m. EDT

Women's FR 48 kg Semifinals/Bronze Final

Aug. 17 10:40 a.m. EDT

Women's Freestyle 48 kg

Aug. 17 4:05 p.m. EDT

Women's FR 48 kg Medal Ceremony

Aug. 17 4:15 p.m. EDT

For more information or for print quality photographs, please contact:

Travis Chell, director of Athletic Communications

Office: (423) 652-6368

Cell: (715) 431-0253

tlchell@king.edu | KingTornado.com

####

King University is a Presbyterian-affiliated, doctoral-level comprehensive university. Founded in 1867 as King College, the University offers more than 90 majors, minors, pre-professional degrees and concentrations in fields such as business, nursing, law, medical and health sciences, pharmacy, education, and humanities. Graduate programs are offered in business administration, education, and nursing. A number of research, off-campus learning opportunities, and travel destinations are also available. King University is a NCAA Division II and a Conference Carolinas member with 25 varsity sports. For more information about King University, visit www.king.edu. King University does not discriminate against academically qualified students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, or disability. King University is certified by SCHEV to operate locations in Virginia. For more information on SCHEV certification, contact the King University office at Southwest Virginia Community College, 309 College Road, Richlands, VA 24641.

More...

http://m.heraldcourier.com/sports/king-s-haley-augello-has-a-date-with-olympic-destiny/article_db7ea8f0-61bd-11e6-b15d-c30476badfbd.html?mode=jqm

-------------------

Since starting the sport at the school in 2009, Moorman has developed King into the country’s premier women’s wrestling program as the Tornado has won three consecutive National Wrestling Coaches Association Duals and Women’s College Wrestling Association team championships.

Tornado women’s wrestlers have also become a fixture on the national and international scene, highlighted by 13 competitors with King ties competing at the Trials in April.

Augello was effusive in her praise of King and Moorman after officially punching her ticket to Rio by reaching the final of a qualifier in Mongolia later in April after her Trials triumph.

“King changed my life. JM changed my life,†she wrote in another message to the Bristol Herald Courier hours after clinching her spot in the Olympics.

In the run up to Rio, Augello reiterated the role King has played on her journey to becoming an Olympian.

“My coach, my team and the school as a whole has always been great at supporting my dreams and goals,†she said.

http://m.heraldcourier.com/sports/king-s-haley-augello-has-a-date-with-olympic-destiny/article_db7ea8f0-61bd-11e6-b15d-c30476badfbd.html?mode=jqm

King's Haley Augello has a date with Olympic destiny

Pic

King University's Haley Augello (top) is scheduled to wrestle in Rio on Wednesday in the Olympics.

Nate Hubbard | Bristol Herald Courier

In a couple weeks, Haley Augello will be back in Bristol, ready to resume her studies at King University.

First, though, she’s got some business in Brazil.

Four months after winning the 48-kilogram weight class at the U.S. Olympic Trials, Augello is now three days away from Olympic competition as she’s slated to wrestle in Rio on Wednesday as the first King athlete to ever represent the United States at the Olympic Games.

King coach Jason Moorman is scheduled to leave for Rio himself Monday to watch Augello compete and he was already in eager anticipation of the moment during an interview earlier this week.

“I’m very fortunate because not at lot of coaches can say they had the opportunity to help coach an Olympian,†he said. “I’m just hoping that she just leaves it all out there and makes a strong run for a medal – and I think she can, but we’ll see.â€

Augello is not a born and raised Bristolian.

Instead, she picked Bristol.

And for the city girl from Illinois – she graduated in 2013 from Lockport Township High School, located less than an hour outside Chicago – East Tennessee has transformed from an otherworldly place to a comfortable collegiate cocoon.

“My favorite thing about Bristol is definitely the lifestyle,†she said in a message to the Bristol Herald Courier shortly before departing for Rio in time to walk with the U.S. delegation in the Opening Ceremony on Aug. 5.

“I love spending my days outdoors and the nights on the porch. I grew up in Chicago. There isn’t many outdoor activities we could do that involved mountains, lakes, waterfalls, fishing, etc. Tennessee has all of that and more. It’s nice to sit by the camp fire with all your friends and relax after a day of work, school and practice.â€

Of course, the King wrestling room located in the dungeon of Kline Hall also had something to do with Augello’s decision to come to Bristol.

Since starting the sport at the school in 2009, Moorman has developed King into the country’s premier women’s wrestling program as the Tornado has won three consecutive National Wrestling Coaches Association Duals and Women’s College Wrestling Association team championships.

Tornado women’s wrestlers have also become a fixture on the national and international scene, highlighted by 13 competitors with King ties competing at the Trials in April.

Augello was effusive in her praise of King and Moorman after officially punching her ticket to Rio by reaching the final of a qualifier in Mongolia later in April after her Trials triumph.

“King changed my life. JM changed my life,†she wrote in another message to the Bristol Herald Courier hours after clinching her spot in the Olympics.

In the run up to Rio, Augello reiterated the role King has played on her journey to becoming an Olympian.

“My coach, my team and the school as a whole has always been great at supporting my dreams and goals,†she said.

After winning two WCWA individual national titles in her first two seasons competing for King, Augello spent the past year at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

“It’s really helped put everything together so she can peak at the right time,†Moorman said.

Augello still made multiple trips back to Bristol and trained with the King team when she was in town prior to the Trials, where her father, Larry, and Moorman were the coaches in her corner on the mat.

After Rio, Augello said her plans remain to finish her studies and her final two years of collegiate wrestling eligibility at King, where a prominent banner celebrating her forthcoming Olympic appearance greets all who drive by campus.

“She’s got two more national championships to win,†Moorman said with a laugh. “She’s going to be a four-time national champ for us – first one ever [for the King program].â€

While Augello will make her mark as the first competitor from King to represent the United States at the Olympics, she’s not the only local athlete in Rio.

Kemar Hyman, who ran track for the Tornado for two years (2008-09) before transferring to Florida State University, represented the Cayman Islands for the second straight Olympics. He placed in a tie for 45th with a time of 10.34 seconds in the 100 meter dash opening rounds Saturday and failed to advance to today's semifinals.

Seamus Power, a 2010 East Tennessee State University grad, is competing for Ireland in the Olympic golf tournament and stood in a tie for 26th heading into today’s final round.

Augello, however, stands unique not only as the only local American athlete, but the lone dogged competitor with a soft spot for cuddling chihuahuas, her beloved canine breed.

Moorman said Augello is plenty more than just a monster on the mat.

“She’s hilarious first of all,†he said. “She’s always laughing and cutting up when she’s not wrestling.â€

Wrestling, however, has never been a laughing matter for Augello.

“She’s very honest,†Moorman said. “It doesn’t matter if she’s in the room with five people saying one thing, if she doesn’t agree with it she’ll tell you – and that’s a good trait in my opinion. Those type of characteristics have helped shape her and mold her and helped put her in the position she’s in right now.â€

Augello, 21, began wrestling at age 8, lured into the sport after starting as her brother Sean’s informal sparring partner.

“I would let him practice his new moves and techniques on me and one day I asked my dad if I could just go to practice with him,†she said. “Ever since then I never really had interest or passion for other sports. I really submerged myself into the wrestler’s lifestyle.

“I was a student of the sport and didn’t want to waste my time or energy growing in any other sport other than wrestling. I think the day I started I believed I had something that others didn’t. The Olympics has always been the goal of mine.â€

Moorman recalled with awe watching Augello wrestle for the first time in her early high school days.

“I definitely knew when I first saw her that she was something special,†he said. “She didn’t become an Olympian being at King. She was doing a lot of hard work with a lot of other great coaches and clubs. It kind of put her in a good position coming into King.â€

So will Olympic qualification be the highlight for Augello or will she soon be known across the nation?

It’s a tough question to answer before Wednesday.

Heading into the U.S. Trials, Augello was much more a wild card than a heavy favorite to win a national title as a newcomer to the 48-kg ranks after previously wrestling up a class at 53 kilograms.

“My mindset going in to Trials was really calm and focused,†she said. “I didn’t have anything to lose going in to that tournament. Mongolia was a little different. I had everything to lose. I would’ve been beyond disappointed if I wasn’t able to qualify my weight [for a U.S. Olympic spot]. It would’ve been a huge heartbreak.â€

With relatively scant competition still under her belt at 48 kilograms, Augello is ranked only 17th in the world at the class heading into the Olympics and no prominent prognosticator is picking her for the podium, but she’ll be a dangerous unknown with a particular size and strength advantage from her experience wrestling at the higher weight class.

“I really think that if she wrestles at her potential that she can medal and make a run at winning,†Moorman said. “She in my opinion is probably going to be the biggest 48-kilogram wrestler there and hopefully she gets a pretty good draw. Right now the way her workouts have been going and the way she’s been wrestling some of her partners in the room, she’s really on right now.â€

The draw, as Moorman alluded to, could indeed make a huge difference for an up-and-comer like Augello.

The 48-kg bracket will be set Tuesday at weigh-ins through a selection of Popsicle-stick lots that could leave Augello with an early matchup against a pre-tournament favorite or a chance to gain some momentum and confidence on the Olympic stage before needing to pull off an upset.

An early loss, however, won’t necessarily end Augello’s Olympics entirely. While she can’t win the gold – which no U.S. women has done since females began competing in the sport at the Olympics in 2004 – or silver unless she makes it to the final unscathed, if she loses earlier in the bracket to either of the two finalists she’ll still have a shot to compete for one of two bronze medals awarded in each weight class.

Either way, Augello’s competitive window at the Olympics will be a short one as the entire 48-kg competition is contested Wednesday from opening matches at 9 a.m. eastern time on through to medal showdowns slated for 3:45 p.m. (bronze), 3:55 p.m. (bronze) and 4:05 p.m. (gold).

No matter how she does in Rio, however, Augello will return to King as an Olympic royal.

Since winning the Trials, she’s traveled for pre-Olympic training to Canada and Spain, as well as participating in a Team USA event in Times Square as part of the Olympic buildup.

It was during her daily workouts in Colorado Springs, though, where Augello said she had her most frequent can’t-believe-this-is-real moments as visitors passed through the U.S. Training Center.

“When they come through the wrestling room while we’re in practice, the tour guide will point out the Olympians and the tourists get so excited,†she said. “Every time it gives me the chills.â€

The chills are likely to come again for Augello on Wednesday – and then she’ll compete.

------------------------

More Olympic stories as we support our USA wrestlers...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/top-wrestling-stories-watch-rio-olympics-jordan-burroughs-adeline-gray

And again...

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

The following makes many of us old farts grateful for those who continue to build our great sport here in Tennessee at all levels and gender...

---------------------

There’s much more incentive today for schools to drop Olympic sports to try and keep up in basketball and football.â€

And yet, wrestling is the sixth most popular sport at the high school level, with more than 250,000 athletes, says Moyer. A number that has been growing – not declining.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2016/03/17/the-future-of-collegiate-wrestling-isnt-at-division-i-level/#7a547f064399

“There’s much more incentive today for schools to drop Olympic sports to keep up in basketball and football.â€

...And yet, wrestling is the sixth most popular sport at the high school level, with more than 250,000 athletes, says Moyer. A number that has been growing – not declining.

And there’s another benefit to sponsoring wrestling that Moyer says Division I administrators are missing.

“Across all three divisions, men’s wrestling has the largest percentage of first-generation college students. That’s an area where our sport really shines, and eliminating that is tragic.â€

That makes it even more frustrating for Moyer when he sees Division I programs dropping wrestling.

“(This year) at Madison Square Garden, the Division I championships are sold out. This notion that it’s not popular – that it’s dying – couldn’t be further from the truth.â€

Wrestling thriving at lower levels...

So, where does that leave the future of wrestling?

“My dad and his inner circle of small-college wrestling coaches constantly stated that the future of college wrestling is in the small liberal arts schools,†said Wince.

Moyer agrees that men’s wrestling is embraced more at the Division II and III levels, and the participation numbers reflect that.

In 1988-89, there were 43 teams in Division II supporting a total of 1,084 student athletes. In 2014-15, the number of teams had grown to 59, and with increased average squad sizes the total number of student athletes was up to 1,912.

Although the number of teams in Division III has dropped from 126 to 94 over the same time period, squad sizes have grown to allow the total number of student athletes to increase from 2,457 to 2,617.

Even with the losses in Division I, the total number of student athletes across the three divisions has increased from 6,969 in 1988-89 to 7,049 in 2014-15.

So, why is men’s wrestling supported in greater numbers in Divisions II and III?

“What is different is that Division I schools aren’t enrollment driven,†explained Moyer. “Far more students are applying than they can take, so they’re less inclined to use sports as an enrollment driver.â€

It’s a different story within Division II and III.

“I’m speaking from experience here,†says Wince, “and the underlying driving force is increasing male enrollment.

“In an era where male enrollment on a national level is down, this is a way to keep young men enrolling in liberal arts institutions. I deal with it every day on the recruiting trail, particularly when dealing with wrestlers from rural areas who have rarely though about attending four-year institutions because of cost. Wrestling is a way to entice these young men to pursue liberal arts degrees.â€

The cost-benefit analysis on adding men’s wrestling is fairly compelling for these institutions, says Wince.

“The start-up costs for wrestling are minimal compared to “ball and stick†sports. The cost of mats, uniforms, match day and travel needs is considerably lower,†said Wince.

“Balance that with the enrollment of 20-30 wrestlers who are paying 30-100% of the total cost of tuition, and you have covered nearly all of the start-up costs and travel.â€

Wince says he knew building up the program at Greensboro would be difficult, but he says the support of his administration has been incredible.

“We are getting so much interest from in-state wrestlers who are being overlooked by the big-time programs in the Southeast, and they want the opportunity to compete at the next level.

“Couple that with a great experience, the opportunity to compete right away, and being involved in life on campus outside of wrestling, and you have the perfect story for most high school wrestlers.â€

And then there’s the women...

On top of the increasing number of opportunities for men at the Division II and III levels, both Wince and Moyer pointed out the growing popularity of women’s wrestling.

“One of the fastest growing high school sports is women’s wrestling,†said Moyer. “Over 11,000 high school girls are wrestling, and we already have 29 collegiate programs and another 16 club programs that could become varsity.â€

Moyer says he expects to apply for women’s wrestling to be recognized by the NCAA as an emerging sport soon.

Edited by Sommers

King's Augello calls Rio experience 'first step'

Pic

United States' Haley Augello, blue, competes against Japan's Eri Tosaka, red, during the women's 48-kg freestyle wrestling competition at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on Wednesday.

Haley Augello showed plenty of mettle, but couldn’t snag a medal Wednesday at the Olympics in Rio.

The King University wrestler, who became the first Tornado athlete to represent the United States in Olympic competition, pulled off an upset in her opening match of the women’s 48-kilogram class, but lost in the quarterfinals and wound up two victories short of claiming a bronze.

“I learned a lot in these matches I had,†Augello said in comments released by USA Wrestling. “I don’t take anything for granted. It was an amazing experience and an experiment. A little of both. I lost some matches on a few mistakes. I lost some matches because I was rushing things.

“I wasn’t patient. That is something you are going to learn. Wrestling in this tournament, I realize I am right up there with the best of them. I have to be more patient, and be more solid in my basic techniques. I have no doubt that the next three World Championships, I will come away with gold, and in Tokyo in 2020 [at the next Olympics], I will come away with gold. This is the first step towards that.â€

Stuck with a brutal draw at weigh-ins Tuesday, Augello nevertheless made a solid run at a medal in her Olympic debut as the 21-year-old dominated in her first appearance on the mat Wednesday morning, controlling the match throughout to take a 7-0 victory in the Round of 16 over 2015 World bronze medalist Jessica Blaszka of the Netherlands.

Via the livestream broadcast, Augello blew a pair of kisses to the crowd in Rio and let loose with a slight smile following her opening victory.

http://m.heraldcourier.com/sports/king-s-augello-calls-rio-experience-first-step/article_1bd47500-64c6-11e6-b97a-d30c10991b1d.html?mode=jqm