Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

West Nashville area press coverage.....

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/fairview/2016/11/21/fairview-high-wrestlers-eager-hit-mats/94084536/

Fairview High wrestlers eager to hit the mats

Fairview High School Yellow Jacket Wrestling action will hit the mats this Saturday for the start of the season.

Nancy Stephens | The Fairview Observer7:00 p.m. ET Nov. 21, 2016

Season starts Saturday with Dual Tournament

Fairview High School wrestling coach Jim Derrick is excited about the season ahead. “The Jackets are returning with seven seniors and the most experienced group Fairview has had in years,†explained Derrick.

With all the wrestlers showing great potential, Derrick says wrestling fans are sure to be impressed and a few wrestlers have already put up impressive stats in past seasons.

Wrestlers to watch this season include: Senior captain Elliott Jones a three-time State qualifier; Senior captain Josh Ortiz-Derrick a three-time State qualifier, two-time All Mid State and State placer; Junior Braxton Hunter a two-time State qualifier and two-time State placer, earning State runner-up in 2015-16 season; Senior Eli Sullivan a State qualifier; Senior Austin Jones a State qualifier; and Sophomore Mario Pulk a Region champion and State qualifier.

FHS Jacket wrestlers practice for first match of the season.

Submitted

“We start the season with a tough test at Father Ryan Dual Tournament,†explained Derrick. That tournament will take place starting at 12 noon this Saturday, Nov. 26 with #8 AAA Arlington, followed by matches with #1 DII Father Ryan, MBA and Clarksville NW.

Derrick says, “We continue to make strides in our wrestling program; and with some hard work this year, we have set our eyes on winning the region and competing in the State Duals.â€

The wrestlers are in the right mind set, but Derrick says first “we have to get past some tough foes in the Region - Page, Forrest, Nolensville, Eagleville and Creek Wood.â€

He added, “It should be some good wrestling so we invite everyone to come out and support the wrestling program.â€

To wrap up November, the wrestlers will compete at Cheatham High School November 29 at 4:30 p.m.

2016-17 FAIRVIEW HIGH

WRESTING ROSTER

Boys Roster

106 Maxwell Morrill Fr.

126 Eli Sullivan Sr.

132 James Elliott Jones Sr.

132 Brian Austin Jones Sr.

132 Braxton Hunter Jr

138 Zach Derrick Fr.

138 Luke Maxwell Fr.

138 Drake Borre Sr.

145 Christian Blake Sisco Jr.

152 Mario Pukl So.

152 Max Reed Fr.

160 Logan White So.

170 Coltyn Sands Sr.

170 Cody DeLano Fr.

170 Jackson Metts Fr.

195 Josh Ortiz-Derrick Sr.

195 Trace Elliott So.

195 Hunter Caldwell Sr.

220 Tristan Morton Jr.

285 Jackson Clevenger So.

Girls Roster

105 Hope Henderson Fr.

Edited by Sommers

Wilson Central looked strong last night verses Stewart's Creek. Several surprising match outcomes leading to a close match until several bonus points accumulated giving WC a solid 30 pt victory.

Short video clip...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10211511792140169&id=1525046190

---------------------

Union County Pipeline looking strong up in Kentucky...

http://www.thegleaner.com/story/news/local/uca/sports/2016/11/23/ucms-wrestlers-win-trigg-county-invitational-team-title/94218064/

UCMS wrestlers win Trigg County Invitational team title near Hopkinsville

Union County Middle School Wrestling Team.

Robert Ervin | Head Coach, Union County WrestlingUpdated 17 hours ago

The Union County Middle School Wrestling team brought home the 2016 Trigg County Invitational team title this past weekend at Trigg County High School in Cadiz, Ky.

Lead by 5 individual champions the Indians claimed first by a point total of 241, out distancing 2nd place McCracken County middle school by 64 points.

Indians Individual tournament champions were Jesse Hahs, Dalton Russelburg, Payne Carr, Allen Elam, and Jayden Fulkerson.

Second place finishers included Noah Burgess, Glenn Mayes, Wesley Frazier, Guideon Adams, Steven Little and Darius Moore.

Other participants were Kayden Steelman 4th place, Aiden Hash 5th place, Hunter Pogue 4th place and Eli Adams 5th place.

Edited by Sommers

North Georgia gets served some blue raider punch...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/11/23/336769/Cleveland-Wrestlers-Thump-Northwest.aspx

Cleveland Wrestlers Thump Northwest Whitfield

Blue Raiders Record Four Pins In 45-28 Win Over Bruins

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - by special report to chattanoogan.com

The Cleveland Blue Raider wrestling team opened its season with a win over Northwest Whitfield at Cleveland Wednesday, the winners earning four pins en route to a 45-28 victory.

Seth Garcia, Garret Bowers, Colton Landers and Cody Mathews earned pins for the Blue Raiders while Michael Robles and Coty Carlock both had pins for Northwest Whitfield.

Other winners for Cleveland included Jayce Mullin by technical fall, Zach Brezna by a major decision, Bryce Pond and Caleb Eachus by regular decisions and Garrett Stevenson by forfeit.

CLEVELAND 45, NORTHWEST WHITFIELD 28

(Match started at 220 Pounds)

106 -- Garrett Stevenson © won by forfeit;

113 -- Garret Bowers © pinned Griffin Hughes, 2:52;

120 -- Bryce Pond © dec. Tommy Davis, 3-2;

126 -- Jayce Mullin © won by technical fall over Jacob Splawn, 5:01;

132 -- Colton Landers © pinned Trenton Miller, 1:30;

138 -- Cody Mathews © pinned Matt Angeles, 1:02;

145 -- Coty Carlock (NWW) pinned Skyler Bradley, 3:01;

152 -- Caleb Eachus © dec. Dylan Pittman, 5-2;

160 -- Zach Brezna © major dec. Chase Humble, 13-5;

170 -- James Seay (NWW) won by forfeit;

182 -- Bryan Eades (NWW) won by forfeit;

195 -- Jordan Lewis (NWW) major dec. Jason Strickland, 12-3;

220 -- Seth Garcia © pinned Ethan Arnold, :50;

285 -- Michael Robles (NWW) pinned Titus Shafton, 1:11.

(email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

--------------------

Great human interest story out of Cleveland...

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/wrestlingseason-newexperiencefor-me,47536

Wrestling season new experience for me

Posted Wednesday, November 23, 2016 11:06 am

Patrick MacCoon Banner Sports Writer

The heartbeat of the wrestling community can be felt especially loud today in Bradley County, and I can feel mine as well.

All weight classes, 14 to be exact, have been determined and state championship aspirations abound in a town that is the Volunteer State’s epicenter for prep wrestling.

The anticipation and jitters are real, like coming in out of the bullpen to close down the game with a one-run lead.

I use a baseball reference there because I honestly have never used a wrestling one before. This quickly changed for me this morning when I covered Cleveland and Walker Valley in their season-opening matches.

Heck, I have even covered swimming and diving meets along with track and field before, but today’s meet at the Jones Center will be my birth into a sport I hope is as entertaining as WWE.

While Vince McMahon may not be starting a feud matside, surely there will be some adrenaline kick-in moments where someone gets slammed, pinned or put into submission.

On a serious note, I am excited to see just why the talent in our area stands out so much more than the rest. After all, the team wrestling photos have more faces than some prep football teams. Depth in numbers is definitely something the programs here can take pride in.

I consider state champion wrestlers and state medalists to be a rare breed, just from meeting some over the past few years. The water jugs carried around school, the strange eating habits and cauliflower ears all show just how dedicated they are. I am excited to see the passion those wrestlers have with every single decision and every medal awarded to them this season.

While I have never covered a wrestling match and only briefly watched some of the NCAA Championships on TV, it is pretty easy to realize the reach Bradley County wrestling has on the sport in the surrounding area. After all, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga has former Bradley Central state wrestling champion and Cleveland High head coach Heath Eslinger leading its highly respected program.

State championship trophies line the hallways for the Bears inside Jim Smiddy Arena and it is pretty remarkable their 24 titles are the most of any public high school wrestling team in Tennessee.

It will be fun to watch the road to Franklin for Bradley, as Knox Fuller, TJ Hicks and Ryan McElhaney look to repeat as champions as well.

It will be fun to watch two-time state runner-up Colton Landers try to get over the hump for Cleveland, and to see who out of the 36 underclassmen can win individual championships or push the Blue Raiders to the next level. Not to mention that I am counting down the days until the Jan. 12 matchup at the Raider Arena between Cleveland and Bradley Central. We’re 50 days away from what has to be one of the state’s best rivalries in any sport.

For Walker Valley, I hear Michael Gregory is a big deal and Skyler Swafford is not satisfied with winning Region 4-5A linebacker of the year, but wants to wrestle and play basketball at the same time, as well.

The youth movements for Cleveland and Walker Valley will be comparable to my plunge into the sport as well. With a great respect for the wrestling scene already, I expect to quickly catch on and provide the area with interesting stories about what goes on both on and off the mats.

As an avid sports lover, I have come to find out you can legitimately appreciate any sport if you are in the right area for following it. If I lived in Mexico, I would be a big soccer fan and write everything I could about it. If I lived in Las Vegas, I would cover gambling. If I lived in China, I would cover Ping-Pong. You get the gist.

My career path has just so happened to land me in perhaps one of the top prep wrestling heartbeats in the country. I will embrace every opportunity to cover the sport in a unique way that will capture the interest of all those who enjoy the sport and who knows, maybe even interest some who already are not on board with wrestling mania.

It is time to get down to the nitty-gritty.

Edited by Sommers

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/11/25/336840/Vandergriff-Duals-Wrestling-Saturday.aspx

Vandergriff Duals Wrestling Saturday At Hixson

Friday, November 25, 2016

The first high school wrestling tournament of the new season will be held at Hixson on Saturday with the annual Vandergriff Duals.

There are nine teams ready to compete in two pools, with teams in the Black pool battling at Hixson Middle School and teams in the Gold group facing each other in the high school gym.

Teams in the Black pool include Walker Valley, Red Bank, East Ridge, Brainerd and James Clemons while teams in the Gold pool include Chattanooga Christian, East Hamilton, Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe and host Hixson.

Action will begin at 10 a.m. with the championship match set for approximately 5 p.m.

Cost of admission is $8 per person with those 10 and under being admitted free.

(Email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

After 35+ years of fine wrestling coverage Mr Gossett kicks off another season with Chatt metro top five...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2016/nov/27/despite-losses-bradley-remains-among-wrestlin/399882/

Despite losses, Bradley Central remains among wrestling title favorites

November 27th, 2016by Ward Gossettin Sports - PrepsRead Time: 3 mins.

Bradley Central coach Ben Smith instructs his wrestler from the bench in a match at Soddy-Daisy.

Photo by Tim Barber /Times Free Press.

Five teams to watch

(listed in alphabetical order)

› Baylor: The Red Raiders will contend for the Division II-AA titles with eight returning state medalists led by Mason Reiniche and Khamari Whimper.

› Bradley Central: The reigning Class AAA state champions graduated five state medalists including three finalists, but there will be little if any drop-off in production.

› Cleveland: Josh Bosken was instrumental in the Blue Raiders’ state-title development while operating in a background role. The Blue Raiders are young, but the program is strong from the youth groups right up the ladder.

› Heritage: The Generals return eight wrestlers who scored in last season’s GHSA traditional state championships, led by champion Chuckie Thurman and Daniel and Dylan Jernagin.

› Ringgold: The Tigers were one of Georgia’s biggest surprises last season and return seven wrestlers who scored in the state meet. Among the returners are champion Griffin Green and super sophomores Tanner Stone, Holden Moss and Will Broom.

Five wrestlers to watch

(listed in alphabetical order)

› Judah Duhm, McCallie: A state champion 160-pounder last year, he also placed fifth at the postseason Prep Nationals.

› Knox Fuller, Bradley Central: A 138-pounder a year ago, he’s looking for his fourth state championship.

› Chris Henderson, Ridgeland: The returning state champion at 220 is coming off a 52-win campaign and already has a tournament title at Buford wrestling up at 285.

› T.J. Hicks, Bradley Central: He may not be in the lineup early, but the two-time state champion will be at 113 pounds by January.

› Chuckie Thurman, Heritage: He was dominant last year, winning the 126-pound state title. During a 57-2 season he had 38 pins and 14 technical falls.

Because of the extended football season and a handful of injuries, Bradley Central wrestling isn't close to where coach Ben Smith foresees the Bears being after New Year's celebrations.

"We're probably about 65 percent where we need to be and want to be come February," he said of the sport's postseason tournament series.

He and his team, though, are still the envy of every Tennessee wrestling program. The Bears are defending state champions for both the team and traditional state tournaments at Franklin's Williamson County Agricultural Expo.

"We know how to be humble, but we honestly have a long way to go. We have kids in the lineup that aren't where they'll be later in the year," Smith said.

It is something of a change for the Bears.

"Normally at the first of the season what you see is what you get with Bradley," he acknowledged, "but we have kids in the lineup now that aren't where they'll be. The weight assessment got us out of kilter a little bit."

The Bears are two-deep at most weights with close to 50 wrestlers in the practice room every day.

"We're a veteran team but also a deep team, which gives us some advantages others might not have," Smith said. "When January fifth comes, I think we'll be tough."

But, he quickly added, so too will Cleveland, Beech, Wilson Central and Soddy-Daisy.

The first glimpse the Bears will get at title contenders and other potential state powers will come at the Cleveland Duals in a couple of weeks. Among those in Cleveland's new gym that day will be the host Blue Raiders, coached now by Josh Bosken, along with Science Hill, Soddy-Daisy and Division II powers Baylor and McCallie.

- Bosken stepped up from an assistant's role at Cleveland when Jake Yost decided to move to McCallie as an assistant. Ryan Mallory similarly stepped up at Central when John Lennon resigned because of job restrictions due to his teaching at Signal Mountain and coaching for the Pounders. And J.D. Dunbar has stepped into Ooltewah's head position after Bryant Blackmon resigned and went home to Bradley.

- A key addition this year at Notre Dame comes at heavyweight in the person of football two-way lineman Sam Stovall, who is an FBS-type prospect.

Signal Mountain has decided to bring up a number of eighth-graders to compete at the varsity level, including Daniel Uhorchuk, Kevin Muschel, Kale Albritton and Preston Worley.

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett.

http://kingtornado.com/sports/wrest/2016-17/releases/20161123se7kun

BELMONT, N.C. – The King University men's wrestling team went into Thanksgiving break on a high note, winning their first dual of the season. The Tornado grabbed the lead early against Belmont Abbey College in the opening Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) dual of the season and didn't look back, taking the contest 30-10.

THE BASICS
FINAL SCORE: King 30, Belmont Abbey 10
RECORDS: King 1-0, 1-0 ECAC; Belmont Abbey 3-4, 0-1 ECAC

HOW IT HAPPENED

• Reed Jacks got King off to a good start, earning a tough 5-4 victory over Michael Bedard at 125 pounds.
  • The Crusaders followed with a win by decision at 133 pounds before King earned back-to-back wins to extend the lead.
  • Dustin Kirk tried to bring the momentum back to the Tornado at 141 pounds, pinning John Gahagan in 2:42 to earn six points for the Tornado.
  • Ethyn Ewing then faced a tough match at 149 pounds, taking a tight 10-8 decision over Santonio Thompson to give King a 12-3 lead.
  • Belmont Abbey then took a pair of wins, one by major decision, cutting the King lead to 12-10 before Joey Mammolenti extended the Tornado lead at 174 pounds.
  • Mammolenti earned an 18-2 technical fall victory over Seth Bridgeman, extending the King lead to 17-10.
  • At 184 pounds, Elijah Seay took a major decision over Luke Glunt by the score of 13-2 and Eldon Valery, Jr. clinched the Tornado victory with a win by forfeit at 197 pounds.
  • Cody Davis capped the victory, defeated Chass Delgado 4-2 in overtime to give King the 30-10 victory.

BEYOND THE BOX SCORE

• The win for King is their first ever ECAC victory.

UP NEXT

• King takes the mat again on December 17-18 in Indianapolis, Ind., at the Midwest Classic.
  • Belmont Abbey is in action again on December 7 at Coker College.

KING (1-0, 1-0 ECAC) 30, BELMONT ABBEY (3-4, 0-1 ECAC) 10

125 – Reed Jacks (King) dec. Michael Bedard (BAC), 5-4 (King 3-0)
133 – Nick Lukanich (BAC) dec. Jacob Wynn (King), 5-1 (3-3)
141 – Dustin Kirk (King) pinned John Gahagan (BAC), 2:42 (King 9-3)
149 – Ethyn Ewing (King) dec. Santonio Thompson (BAC), 10-8 (King 12-3)
157 – Greg Hilliard (BAC) maj. dec. Cory Collins (King), 13-0 (King 12-7)
165 – John Glunt (BAC) dec. Darius Rutland (King), 9-2 (King 12-10)
174 – Joey Mammolenti (King) tech. fall Seth Bridgeman (BAC), 18-2 (King 17-10)
184 – Elijah Seay (King) maj. dec. Luke Glunt (BAC), 13-2 (King 21-10)
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. (King), Forfeit (King 27-10)
285 – Cody Davis (King) dec. Chass Delgado (BAC), 4-2 SV 1 (King 30-10)

• Upvote 1

Continued press coverage and PR in one of the South's hot beds...

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/message-ofhard-work,46794

HARD WORK

Assistant wrestling coach a believer at WVHS

ADAM RAINS, 32, an assistant high school wrestling coach, works at a summer camp in Cleveland, and has completed the grueling Iron Man Triathlon.

PHOTO COURTESY OF JESSE KELLUM

Posted Monday, November 14, 2016 11:42 am

By JESSE KELLUM MTSU/Seigenthaler News Service

At 8 in the morning, the sun hangs low in the sky, dew clings to blades of grass and a thin gray fog wraps around cars, tractors and Walker Valley High School.

The sound of metal clinking on metal gets louder as you near the school’s side door where the weight room is located. The smell of sweat and iron transports anyone active in physical education or organized sports back to a time when muscles were first defined and refined.

As if on cue, Adam Rains steps out of the doorway. He wears khaki shorts, a gray T-shirt and a pair of tennis shoes. He’s fairly short, 5-foot-7 or so, but his frame is lean and hard, the result of years of repetitions in the weight room and competition on wrestling mats, both in high school and college. This is a man who knows pain but has harnessed it. He has an earnest and obvious love for it. He loves the feeling that comes with working hard.

Rains, 32, is an assistant wrestling coach at Walker Valley High School as well as PE and health teacher. Before accepting a teaching position at WVHS, he was a coach for Bradley Central High School’s wrestling team. While coaching, he draws his experience from his time as a wrestler at Bradley.

“We have a good time, we cut up, and we work hard,†Rains said.

He wrestled in the 103-pound weight class during his freshman and sophomore years, the 112-pound class during his junior year, and the 119-pound class during his senior year. During his final year at Bradley Central, he accomplished what many hope to accomplish but few actually do. He won a Tennessee state wrestling title.

After high school, Rains went on to wrestle for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. He describes the college wrestling environment as much more grueling, compared to his high school career.

“High school, we had a lot of fun. College, it became almost like a job,†Rains explained. “We worked hard in high school, there ain’t no doubt about that. Once you get to college, we learned a different level of having to work hard.â€

Ben Smith, one of Rains’ self-described best friends, wrestled with him in high school and in college. Smith is now one of the coaches for the BCHS Bears. When Smith was a senior in high school and college, Rains was a freshman. He says Smith was kind of like a mentor to him and he learned a lot about the sport of wrestling from him. He adds Smith pushed him hard, taught him a lot, and made him feel at home wherever he was competing. Rains would draw on that motivation later in life as well.

Two years ago, Rains competed in the first Iron Man Triathlon hosted in Chattanooga. The intense competition consists of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bicycle ride and a 26.2-mile run.

“It’s a long day,†Rains said, as he chuckled and reflected on one of the most difficult, yet satisfying, achievements of his life.

The Iron Man is a tough competition requiring a work ethic as dense as the metal it’s named after. In order to finish, you really do need to be an “iron†man or woman. People of several different motivations sign up to take on the challenge. There are professional competitors who can complete the race in 8 or 9 hours as well as regular, everyday people who just want to be able to say they crossed the finish line. Whether you finish in 9 hours or 15, you need to love the feeling of a good sweat. You need to be able to work hard.

“It’s a long day,†Rains remarked.

Ben Smith ran the race with Rains and they both offered each other the support Ben supplied to Rains in high school and college wrestling. They high-fived each other at the beginning of the race before jumping in the water and again at the intermission area before getting on the bikes. Although they were training partners, they were not side-by-side the entire race. Each man was competing for himself. Each one was pushing himself to finish as fast as he could.

The predisposition to work hard bleeds through Rains’ tanned skin and is probably one of his greatest, or most visible, qualities. Next to that is his ability to connect with and teach kids and young adults. He works at a community center in the city during summer camp, playing kickball and swimming with the kids who so obviously look up to him. “It’s just something that kids can go to, have fun, and hopefully we can be a positive impression on them,†Rains said.

Although his wrestling career is in the past, he said he doesn’t really know if he misses it. He had some great times with it and saw some success, but to him it’s now time to help the upcoming wrestlers achieve their goals.

“I’ve learned over the years that there are going to be great kids that work hard, everywhere,†Rains said. “You just got to open your mind and help them out.â€

We can assume that Adam Rains will be pushing himself and his wrestlers to succeed, far into the future.

———

(About the writer: Jesse Kellum is a journalism student at Middle Tennessee State University. He was one of several students who recently spent a week in Cleveland and Bradley County writing human-interest stories for the Cleveland Daily Banner.)

----------++-------

McMinn hits the mats

http://m.dailypostathenian.com/sports/article_2fe2047c-b647-11e6-a95a-10604b9f0f42.html?mode=jqm

Pic

Photo by Gabriel Garcia

McMinn County's Garrett Hall (top) and the wrestling Cherokees begin their season tonight at Bradley Central High School.

Gabriel Garcia | Updated 7 hours ago

McMinn County's wrestling team should be much improved this year, but in a Region 4-AAA as tough as it is, it's hard to tell if that improvement will yield results.

"We're still awfully young," said McMinn Coach David Stoika. "We've got experience, but we've only got two seniors and the rest are freshmen and sophomores, or first-year wrestlers. We'll be better than we were before, but I don't know how much we'll win. Our region is so tough, and there's not many weak spots on our schedule."

But Stoika is encouraged by the work McMinn's wrestlers have put in so far.

"They've worked as hard in the offseason as any group I've had, so I hope they have success, but we'll just have to wait and see," Stoika said.

The Tribe will get a quick reminder of what it faces in the region in the season-opening meet tonight at Bradley Central High School - home of the defending champions in both regular and dual wrestling.

The Bears are ranked No. 1 in the first state wrestling poll. Two other teams in McMinn's region are ranked as well - Cleveland at No. 5 and Soddy-Daisy at No. 12. And Walker Valley, also in the region, received votes in the poll.

"We have three teams near the top - Bradley, Cleveland and Soddy-Daisy, and Walker Valley, East Hamilton, Ooltewah, Rhea County not far behind," Stoika said. "Our region is tough top to bottom."

McMinn's two seniors are Garrett Hall, who reached the state tournament his sophomore season, and Tyler Varnadore.

Hall is wrestling in the 138-pound class to start the season, but Stoika said he might be able to drop to 132. Varnadore is listed at 285 but could lose enough weight to get down to 220 in a couple of weeks.

Stoika has been particularly pleased with the sophomore class leading up to this season.

"I'm really proud of our sophomores, all of whom really put in a lot of work in the offseason," Stoika said. "And probably by the end of the year is when they're really going to start to blossom, but the first part of the year they'll have to do a lot of learning."

Younger wrestlers whom Stoika said could break through for McMinn include Graydon Colbaugh, listed as a starter at 145 pounds, and Triston Hamlin at 152.

Freshman Gage Boggess, listed as starter at 120, also turned heads in McMinn's preseason scrimmage at Walker Valley.

Other starters for McMinn are: Dylan Ricker at 126, Bryce Flynn at 132, Kaleb Blake at 160, Matthew Gossett at 170, Jake Shamblin at 182, Jacob LeBeau at 195 and Nick Anderson at 220. McMinn currently has forfeits at 106 and 113.

B-Team backups are: Zak Jaibat, Lewis Talbot, Steven Jamerson, Jacob Dockery, Matt Petrillo, Andy Khinsavath, Dylan Price, Alex Farmer, Graham Johnson, Brendan Hyatt, Hazen Henry, Lucas LaBeau and Christian Spurgeon.

Georgia's Coahulla Creek will also be at McMinn's opening meet tonight at Bradley. The Cherokees' first home match will be Thursday at 6 p.m., hosting Ooltewah and Maryville.

Email: gabriel.garcia@ dailypostathenian.com

------------------------------

North Georgia coverage of Chattanooga area feeder teams...

http://m.northwestgeorgianews.com/catwalkchatt/sports/ngac-wrestling-saddle-ridge-rossville-win-individual-titles-at-ccs/article_03a17128-a9bc-11e6-aafe-3b45c4b394bb.html?mode=jqm

NGAC Wrestling: Saddle Ridge, Rossville win individual titles at CCS

Scott Herpst | Updated 2 weeks ago

The Saddle Ridge Mustangs had two champions, two runners-up and two more top four finishers at Saturday's Chargers Clash at Chattanooga Christian School.

Avery Sullivan claimed the 100-pound title with four pins, all coming in the first period and no match lasting longer than 45 seconds. He needed just 32 seconds to stick Hunter West of Ocoee Middle School in the finals.

Meanwhile, at 123, Dylan Parker also score four wins by pinfall to win an individual title. He won the tournament by pinning Lake Forest's Kabob Parris in the finals.

Aiden Cook (86) defeated wrestlers from McCallie and Lake Forest before losing to Caymen Hughey of Baylor in the finals. The other second place finisher was Karson Ledford (108), who beat two wrestlers from Lake Forest and pinned JoJo Giles of Rossville before losing to Baylor's Porter Kaufman, 12-10.

Landon Plank took third at 86 pounds, beating Malaki Diaz of Whitwell twice on the day, including the consolation finals. Carson Lanier went on to place fourth at 115.

Chase Blevins and James Titsworth, both wrestling 140, each won two matches by pin on Saturday, while Garrett Dunn (86), Steven Sanford (100) and Jacob Benson (115) all recorded one pin on the day.

Rossville's Tommy Lamb matched Sullivan with four first-period pins as he won the title at 215 pounds. His first three matches lasted 27 seconds, 17 seconds and 1:04 before he pinned McCallie's Jack Gentle in 50 seconds in the final.

Aiden Raymer placed third at 123. He had three pins, including one against Baylor's Riley Jenne in the consolation final.

Gesner Chavez (140) had three pins on the day and placed fourth in his weight class. Eli Croft (215) had two pins and placed fourth, while T.J. Atkins was fourth in the heavyweight division.

Brandon Blakemore (78) had two pins on the day. Taylor Pointer had one pin and one minor decision victory, while Xavier Botts (72), Nathan Ruppel (86), Garrett Romans (94), Elijah Langston (100), Giles (108), Dillon Ramsey (130) and Preston Homsombath (140) each had one pin.

Aiden Barber (72), Evan Ferguson (86) and Payton Rogers (150) each had one win by decision and Lucas Bautista (115) collected a forfeit win.

Edited by Sommers

Cleveland, Whitwell Earn Key Wrestling Victories

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/12/1/337239/Cleveland-Whitwell-Earn-Key-Wrestling.aspx

Blue Raiders Record Eight Pins While Tigers Beat East Ridge For First Time

Thursday, December 1, 2016 - by special report to chattanoogan.com

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Blue Raiders didn't have any trouble defeating the Cookeville Cavaliers in a prep wrestling match Thursday night as the winning Cleveland squad got eight pins en route to the victory.

Bryce Pond, Colton Landes, Zach Brezna, Dylan Jones, Robert Hicks, Jason Strickland, Seth Garcia and Titus Shafton all recorded falls for the Blue Raiders while Garrett Stevenson, Barret Bowers and Caleb Eachus all received forfeits.

Jayce Mullin had the toughest match for Cleveland as it took an overtime for him to prevail over Cookeville's James Hardcum by a 3-1 final in the match at 126 pounds.

Cookeville's only wins came from a pin at Jarrett Talbott at 138 and a technical fall from Bradley Houmard at 145.

WHITWELL MADE history Thursday night at they beat East Ridge for the first time in history, the Tigers prevailing by a 42-18 victory.  They also defeated St. Andrews-Sewanee by a 42-9 final.

Warner Ashworth, Daniel Mikel, T.D. Argo and James Headrick all recorded pins in the win over East Ridge while Steven Davoren had the only pin for East Ridge.

Allen Ashworth, Jaren Thames, Mikel and Argo all added pins for Whitwell in the match against SAS.

CLEVELAND 69, COOKEVILLE 11

106 -- Garrett Stevenson (Clev) won by forfeit;

113 -- Garret Bowers (Clev) won by forfeit;

120 -- Bryce Pond (Clev) pinned Samuel Hadlock, 2:00

126 -- Jayce Mullin (Clev) dec. James Harcum, 3-1 in overtime

132 -- Colton Landers (Clev) pinned Luke Denney, 3:34

138 -- Jarrett Talbott (Cook) pinned Cody Mathews, :38

145 -- Bradley Houmard (Cook) won technical fall over Skyler Bradley, 4:00

152 -- Caleb Eachus (Clev) won by forfeit

160 -- Zach Brezna (Clev) pinned Steven Linder, :57

170 -- Dylan Jones (Clev) pinned Jeffery Enochs, 2:28

182 -- Robert Hicks (Clev) pinned Kaige Whiteaker, :46

195 -- Jason Strickland (Clev) pinned Matthew Erickson, 1:43

220 -- Seth Garcia (Clev) pinned Jake Harrington, 4:07

285 -- Titus Shafton (Clev) pinned Allen Richardson, 5:47.

WHITWELL 42, EAST RIDGE 18

(Match began at 132 Pounds)

106 -- Brendyn Garton (W) won by forfeit

113 -- Amado Gomez (W) won by forfeit

120 -- Double forfeit

126 -- Jaren Thames (W) won by forfeit

132 -- Double forfeit

138 -- Kashawn Cosey (ER) won by forfeit

145 -- Steven Davoren (ER) pinned Addison Cordell

152 -- Double forfeit

160 -- Double forfeit

170 -- Warner Ashworth (W) pinned Christan Wampler, :48

182 -- Chancey Henderson (W) won by forfeit

195 -- Daniel Mikel (W) pinned Pedro Bautista, 2:00

220 -- T.D. Argo (W) pinned Aaron Sand, 2:29

285 -- James Headrick (W) pinned Michael King, :30.

WHITWELL 42, ST. ANDREWS-SEWANEE 9

(Match began at 138 Pounds)

106 -- Brendyn Garton (W) won by forfeit;

113 -- Amado Gomez (W) won by forfeit

120 -- Double forfeit

126 -- Elijah Andrews (SAS) won by forfeit

132 -- Jaren Thames (W) pinned Ziyin Tang, 1:13

138 -- Bailey McLean (SAS) dec. Addison Cordell, 14-9

145 -- Double forfeit

152 -- Double forfeit

160 -- Double forfeit

170 -- Allen Ashworth (W) pinned Christian Taylor, :24

182 -- Double forfeit

195 -- Daniel Mikel (W) pinned James Lindiau, 2:00

220 -- T. D. Argo (W) pinned Justin Elgouhary, 4:31

285 -- Garrett Gass (W) won by forfeit.

-------------------

Foreman back in action and PF reloaded for another season despite multi-alarm distractions, infernos, & 85 mph winds surrounding them, along with twisters in tullahoma and Athens...

http://www.blueridgenow.com/sports/20161130/pigeon-forge-set-to-come-to-falcon-frenzy

The past three days have been heartbreaking for the people living in Sevier County in Tennessee, and now they are trying to get back to their lives.

The high schools in Sevier County returned to classes Thursday for the first time since the wildfires swept through Gatlinburg and parts of Pigeon Forge on Monday, destroying homes, buildings and killing seven people.

Pigeon Forge High School's wrestling team is trying to get back to its routine, and that routine is wrestling. The Tigers always have the Falcon Frenzy wrestling tournament, which is Friday and Saturday at West Henderson, circled on their calendar, and it was looking as if the they might not make the trip to Hendersonville this year.

But the team, which has won back-to-back A-AA Tennessee state titles, is ready for the trip and ready to put the devastation behind them.

"We've had a little bit of a setback, but we're still planning to come to West," Pigeon Forge coach Greg Foreman said Wednesday night. "Our high school wasn't affected, and as far as I know, our kids at the high school weren't directly affected. Most of the damage was in Gatlinburg, but some of our students did have extended families there who lost businesses and homes and were displaced.

Foreman said the schools have been out the past two days.

"It'll be good getting back in school and getting back to being as normal as possible. In these kinds of circumstances, returning to normalcy is always a good thing," Foreman said.

Pigeon Forge will be joining a full slate of wrestling programs from Tennessee, South Carolina and North Carolina for the 19th annual Falcon Frenzy. The Tigers are defending state champions as are the Jets of Enka. They ended up winning last year's tournament.

"We have Enka coming back. They won the tournament last year, and they are also the defending 3-A state champions," West Henderson Athletic Director Jeff Smith said. "We also have North Henderson coming, and they were the 3-A state runners-up. It's going to be some great competitive wrestling, like it usually is. Over the two-day event, we'll have about 600 wrestlers competing."

The matches begin at 6 p.m. Friday with the varsity tournament. It continues at 8:30 a.m. Saturday with both the varsity and junior varsity tournaments. The varsity finals will be wrap up the tournament on Saturday evening on West's Monster Mat under the spotlight.....

There were multiple downed power lines across Wilson Avenue, according to the Coffee County Sheriff's Office, and the Tullahoma High School wrestling team tweeted that several wrestlers' homes had been damaged.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2016/11/29/tornado-watch-may-issued-middle-southwest-tennessee/94623054/

------------------

There is good news to report in tullahoma as well...

Two-time state champion and Columbia Grad joins Tullahoma Wildcats’ staff

http://www.tullahomanews.com/two-time-state-champion-joins-wildcats-staff/

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 3:09 pm

By ZACH BIRDSONG

Sports Editor

In late September, weeks before wrestling practice began on Halloween, THS added Travis Creagan, a former two-time state champion at Bradley Central, to its coaching staff.

Creagan was also a four-time state medalist, a three-time state finalist and two-time All-American while at Bradley Central. After earning a degree at Columbia University, he returned to his alma mater as an assistant the last two seasons.

Following last season, Creagan was seeking a new opportunity, one that would allow him to branch out. That chance came after he received a phone call from THS Head Coach Al Morris, a longtime family friend.

“A lot of what drew me to Tullahoma was a career decision as far as the teaching side of my job goes,†Creagan said. “The [teaching] license I was working on wasn’t a permanent license, so when that ran out, they replaced me at Bradley. So, I stayed there and coached but didn’t teach… Al reached out to me and asked if it was something that I wanted to do and I was very interested.

“Al’s family and my family have been friends ever since I moved to Tennessee 20 years ago. He went to Bradley and my brother wrestled on the team with him. I wrestled on the team with his younger brother and our dads coached together… So if he tells me that this is a good place, I believe him. It just seemed like it was something that happened at the right time and the right circumstances.â€

Morris is excited to have Creagan on his staff, noting he has quite a list of feats on the wrestling mat.

“It’s pretty cool to have somebody here who I grew up with and somebody who comes from the program that we grew up in and the quality of that program,†Morris said. “He can help reinforce some of the things that we’ve been trying to get instilled here at Tullahoma.â€

Travis Creagan

Creagan majored in history while at Columbia and as a teacher, he is certified to teach personal finance, world geography and world history. Because he did not take any education classes an undergraduate, he has been working on a temporary license and is currently working on his master’s degree in education. Creagan is currently substitute teaching at the high school, and is hopeful that a job will open up in Tullahoma. Until then, he said, “I’ll be helping out with the team until that happens.â€

Creagan wrestled for three seasons at Columbia but was sidelined during a lot of that time, suffering a shoulder injury his freshman year. Midway through his junior year, he concluded his collegiate wrestling career.

“I injured myself pretty badly, but that wasn’t the sole reason why I stopped, like being out of it for so long with being injured and the fact that college wrestling is not high school wrestling, it’s a job,†he said. “There were just a few things that kind of contributed to me letting go of that. Clearly, I haven’t.

“Until I started coaching again, it was just something that I realized that I missed. I’ve just been doing it my whole life. My older brother, who is five years older, was old enough for me to start young.â€

Heading to Tullahoma, Creagan is going to rely on some of those lessons that he learned while at Bradley Central. While in Cleveland, he came in with a wealth of knowledge about the sport, there was plenty he had to learn on the coaching side, namely working with his younger wrestlers and the decorum that comes with being a coach. During his first season, he was ejected from a match after yelling at an official.

He has since learned those lessons and embraces his new opportunity to be a part of the THS coaching staff. Coming from a school that embraces wrestling and has a tradition of winning like Bradley Central, Creagan said that in his short time in Tullahoma, he sees some similarities between the two schools.

“There are only a handful of schools in the state in the public school division with the history that Bradley has. So, it’s a different atmosphere to an extent,†Creagan said. “A lot of things that allow that success to happen there, the same characteristics are here,†he added. “It’s tight-knit, there’s a lot of kids interested in it and there’s a lot of enthusiasm about the sport. You need all of those things.â€

Tullahoma gets its season underway on Thursday, when it welcomes Eagleville and Lawrence County to Old West Middle School. Matches are scheduled to get underway at 6 p.m.

-----------------------

Wilson Central looking strong once again along with 120 state medalist transfer...

http://wilsonpost.com/wrestling----wilson-county-duals-cms-89719

The Wildcats, now 3-0 in dual wrestling competition this season, defeated Lebanon 73-4 and topped Mt. Juliet 49-24.

Mt. Juliet defeated LHS 42-30 in the third match.

"I was very pleased with the wins Tuesday night," said WCHS coach John Kramer.

"Our boys wrestled well and I am proud of them, but we still have some work to do. We will be a better team down the road."

Wilson Central 73, Lebanon 4

182- Niko Nago (WC) pinned Evan Clemons (L)

195- Preston Parks (L) 11-2 over Hills (WC)

220- Kolin Miller (WC) pinned Jaxon Whittaker (L)

225- Michael Kramer (WC) pinned Taylor Harrison (L)

106- Grant Fetters (WC) by forfeit

113- Gage Backus (WC) pinned Devin Long (L)

120- Sean Seasnan (WC) by forfeit

126- Simon Pergande (WC) TF over Garrison Lennord (L)

132- Alex Pergande (WC) TF over Juan Gains (L)

138- Cullen Belcher (WC) pinned Payton Tummy (L)

145- Dave Moredo (WC) by forfeit

152- Matthew Hester (WC) pinned Reed Owen (L)

160- Sinjin Noga (WC) 4-3 over Ryan Brown (L)

170- Damon Smith (WC) pinned Joseph Moore (L)

Mt. Juliet 42, Lebanon 30

195- Nathan Walling (MJ) pinned Preston Parks (L)

220- Jaxon Whittaker (L) pinned Daniel Smith (MJ)

225- Taylor Harrison (L) by forfeit

106- double forfeit; no team points

113- Gabe Tracy (MJ) pinned Devin Long (L)

120- Gerik Fitts (L) pinned Chris Miller (MJ)

126- Austin Plumlee (MJ) pinned Garrison Lennord (L)

132- Juan Gains (L) by forfeit

138- Henrey Valien (MJ) pinned Cullen Haverstick (L)

145- Zach Wilkons (MJ) pinned Payton Tummy (L)

152- Steven Reece (MJ) pinned Reed Owen (L)

160- Dillan Quen (MJ) 4-0 over Ryan Brown (L)

170- Zach Geranger (MJ) pinned Joseph Moore (L)

182- Evan Clemons (L) 11-5 over Chris Humphry (MJ)

Wilson Central 49, Mt. Juliet 24

220- Kolin Miller (WC) by fall over Daniel Smith (MJ)

285- Michael Kramer (WC) by forfeit

106- Grant Fetters (WC) by forfeit

113- Gage Bachus (WC) by fall over Gabe Tracy (MJ)

120- Sean Sesnan (WC) by fall over Christopher Miller (MT)

126- Austin Plumlee (MJ) 5-1 over Simon Pergande (WC)

132- Alex Pergande (WC) by forfeit

138- Jalen Henry (MJ) 11-1 over Prentice Belcher (WC)

145- Zackrey Wilkins (MJ) by fall over Dave Moredo (WC)

152- Steven Weist (MJ) 15-0 over over Matthew Hester (WC)

160- Sinjin Noga (WC) 4-1 over Dylan Quinn (MJ)

170- Damon Smith (WC) fall over Zack Garringer (MJ)

182- Niko Noga (WC) 12-2 over Christopher Humpherys (MJ)

195- Nathan Walling (MJ) fall over Daniel Hills (WC)

Wilson Central will be back in action Saturday at the Tullahoma Duals.

Lebanon and Summit High are among the teams competing Saturday at Mt. Juliet High's "Bear Brawl"

Edited by Sommers

http://wilsonpost.com/wrestling----wchs-moves-to-6-0-cms-89743

Wilson Central moved to 6-0 on the dual wrestling season after picking up three wins Thursday, Dec. 1 in a quad meet at Siegel High School.

Match scores:

Wilson Central 63, Centennial 12

Wilson Central 60, Ravenwood 15

Wilson Central 63, Siegel 15

The second match of the evening with Ravenwood marked John Kramer's 500th victory as a high school coach.

Wilson Central returns to the mat Saturday as the Wildcats wrestle in the Tullahoma Duals.

WCHS will face a tough lineup including matches with perennial state champion Cleveland, Soddy-Daisy, Walker Valley and Cookeville.

---------------

Artis Price Climber... it looks like your old Jefferson Co is coming back

Reloaded Patriots look to battle in Region

http://www.standardbanner.com/sports/reloaded-patriots-look-to-battle-in-region/article_9b5038c2-b7d8-11e6-ab3b-4b63151bc4c7.html

By Dave Gentry — Sports EditorUpdated Dec 1, 2016

Members of the 2016-17 Jefferson County High School Wrestling team are pictured after a practice at the Patriot Academy. In front, from left to right, are team manager Brittany Baker, Blaize Banks, Cody Harris, Alex Soto, Jaycee Reff, Timothy Johnson, Keith Venteire, and team manager Allison Shipe. In the second row, from left to right, are Kaden Worley, Donovon Dukes, Griffin English, Cameron Evon, Drew Bailey, Jayden Denton, Sam Douglas, Aaron Lawson, and Alex Black. Standing in back, from left to right, are assistant coach Jacob Strickland, assistant coach Dylan Willis, assistant coach Chonci Houston, Colby Wyatt, Isaac Workman, Brody Workman, Dakota Moungey, Taylor Thomas, CJ Pinkston, assistant coach George Brimer, and head coach Logan Hollingshead. Not pictured are assistant coach Tyler Johnson, Caleb Cantwell, and Zach Davis.

DANDRIDGE —After missing out on the state duals by the narrowest of margins for two straight seasons, a reloaded and experienced Patriot wrestling squad is ready to battle through the region for another shot at state.

In both 2015 and 2016, the Patriots fell by the difference of one match to Tennessee High School in the Region 1-AAA semifinals, abruptly ending the team duals season.

In both seasons, the Patriots sent more than half the team to the individual state championships, where the Patriots had two state finalists last season in Josh Booker and Logan Townsend. But the duo graduated this past spring, along with two other state qualifiers.

Still, Jefferson County returns a very talented sophomore and junior class — including several state qualifiers — ready to shake up the region.

“It’s going to be a tough year, but every year is. Our numbers aren’t up to the 40s like they have been in the past, but we’ve got quality guys. It’s just a good group,†Patriot head coach Logan Hollingshead said. “Our egos aren’t in play here. It’s just about getting work done.â€

Hollingshead says his team will rely on a junior-heavy class along with some experienced sophomores this season.

Key returners for the Patriots come in 2016 state qualifiers Griffin English, Cody Harris, Aaron Lawson, and C.J. Pinkston.

English is currently wrestling in the 145-pound class for the Patriots and showing a lot of promise early in the season, according to Hollingshead.

Likewise, Harris, Lawson and Pinkston should help anchor the Patriots deep in the season thanks to their experiences at the region and state level last year.

“Getting that experience last year gives them potential for this year — just to get a little belief in themselves and know they can compete with the older guys,†Hollingshead said.

Two other key wrestlers this season will be senior veterans Dakota Moungey and Brody Workman. Moungey is the team’s heavyweight (285-pound class) and Workman weighs in at 220 pounds—the second heaviest class in the sport.

Workman narrowly missed out on a state qualification last season after suffering an injury in the region quarterfinals.

Hollingshead is excited to see how both wrap up their senior campaigns, adding that both show a lot of promise heading into the season.

Although Moungey didn’t make it to the Region last season, Hollingshead gushed about his strength and technique for the sport’s heaviest class.

“You talk about a brahma bull. He’s as strong as an ox,†Hollingshead said. “His technique has gotten better over the years and I’m really excited to see what he does.â€

Other Patriot wrestlers looking to be in the starting rotation include 106-pound newcomer Caleb Cantwell, 120-pounder Jaycee Reff, 126-pounder Alex Soto, 182-pounder Isaac Workman, and 195-pounder Colby Wyatt.

The Patriots should be able to clinch another District 2 title this season as the other top teams in the league remain Morristown-East, Morristown-West, and Cocke County, none of which have traditionally been able to hang with the Patriots. In fact, the Patriots have already defeated East and West by good margins early in the season.

District 1, however, is a different story. As always, Tennessee High, Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett — all nearly equally good —will battle with the Patriots for the top two spots in the Region, which go on to the state duals.

For the first time, this season, six teams from the Rrgion will advance to the Region 1-AAA Championships, the two District winners receiving byes into the semifinals.

Also new this season is a lifted mandate from TSSAA that used to restrict the number of non-faculty coaches to just two per sport.

Now, Hollingshead is able to utilize more assistant coaches and expose his team to a higher quantity and therefore quality of instruction.

He returns longtime assistants George Brimer and Dylan Willis, while adding a handful of newcomers in Tyler Johnson, Chonci Houston and Jacob Strickland.

Houston, who is no stranger to the program, is one of only a handful of State Champion wrestlers to ever come out of Jefferson County High School. He went on to become an All-American at Carson-Newman College before the Eagles dismantled their wrestling program.

Likewise, Johnson was an All-State wrestler at Jefferson County under Hollingshead before having a successful career at Newberry College. Strickland, an Army Sergeant, wrestled in high school and brings a military background and wealth of knowledge to the Patriots.

“To be able to bring that and the kids get it every single day instead of once or twice a year­— the instruction these kids are exposed to now on a day to day basis is phenomenal,†Hollingshead said.

The Patriots have already kicked off the season this past weekend, playing host to the Dumplin Valley Duals, in which they went undefeated. On Tuesday night, they defeated Volunteer, and they return to action this weekend at the Knox Catholic Invitational.

Key tournaments this season include the Catholic Invite, Catholic Duals (Dec. 10), Bradley Central Invitational (Dec. 16-17), and Fandetti-Richardson Brawl (Jan. 14). Jefferson County gears up for the postseason on Jan. 16, traveling to Cocke County for the IMAC Tournament before the Jan. 26 Region 1 Duals. Should the Patriots qualify, the State Duals will take place on Feb. 3-4, just a week prior to the individual postseason when the Region 1 Tournament kicks off on Feb. 11. Individual State Championships will close out the season on Feb. 17

--------------------

Upper East Tennessee coverage down in Georgia...

Top out-of-state teams attending are Buford and Woodward Academy from Georgia, Oak Mountain from Alabama and Science Hill from Tennessee.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/12/01/southern-slam-provides-early-test-wrestlers/94767108/

Southern Slam provides early test for wrestlers

Eastside senior DeShawn Sullivan, front, enters this weekend's Southern Slam as a defending champion.

Bob Castello | bcastell@greenvillenews.com

The delay in the football playoffs caused about five teams to bow out of the 13th edition of the Southern Slam wrestling tournament, scheduled for Friday and Saturday at Eastside High School.

However, the situation with football will have no effect on the tournament's degree of difficulty.

"I've had kids that won state that didn't place at all in this tournament," Eastside coach Jack Kosmicki said. "A lot of kids that eventually win state or are returning state champs don't even come close to the top of the podium."

Eastside does have a pair of returning champions: sophomore Jordie White, a rare freshman winner last year at 106 pounds; and senior DeShawn Sullivan, who won the 220-pound weight class.

White went on to win a state championship; Sullivan took fourth at state.

FOOTBALL: Liberty's deep playoff run has town talking

Where teams are concerned, even with those that were forced to drop out, a total of 38 from five states will be competing this weekend, including four-time defending Georgia Class AAAAAA state champion Archer, which has won the last five Southern Slam titles.

"A lot of their kids graduated, but they're still good," Kosmicki said. "Their talent's backed up by talent."

Among the other top out-of-state teams attending are Buford and Woodward Academy from Georgia, Oak Mountain from Alabama and Science Hill from Tennessee.

"We've been going to Science Hill for their tournament for a few years," Kosmicki said. "I've been trying to get them here and finally got them down here."

As for in-state teams, Eastside, which won its 11th state championship last year, graduated only one member of that team.

Eastside is No. 1 in the scmat.com preseason rankings, and No. 2 Belton-Honea Path also is in the Slam.

"BHP really was our toughest match in the AAA playoffs, and they only graduated three or four kids," Kosmicki said.

The list of other top in-state teams includes three of the best in Class AAAAA: No. 1 Rock Hill, No. 3 Boiling Springs and No. 4 Dorman, which won the 2016 Class AAAA state championship.

Wrestling is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. Friday. Saturday's action is set to begin at 8:30 a.m., with the finals tentatively scheduled for 4 p.m.

Edited by Sommers

Bradley Totally Dominates Ooltewah Invitational

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/12/3/337364/Bradley-Totally-Dominates-Ooltewah-Invitational.aspx

Ringgold Finishes Distant Second In Prep Wrestling Tournament

Saturday, December 3, 2016 - by John Hunt

We’re just now through the second week of the high school wrestling season, but the Bradley Bears appear to already be in mid-season form.

The Bears, defending state champs for the duals and the traditional tournament, won the Heritage Duals last weekend and they added the Ooltewah Invitational this week as they claimed 10 champions and won going away with 268.5 points.

The Ringgold Tigers were second with 169 points and two champs while Red Bank was third with 76, Lawrence County fourth with 69 and Hardin Valley fifth with 67.5.

Bradley’s T.J. Hicks, who is a two-time defending state champ, was one of eight wrestlers in the championship finals who posted a pin, but his was the quickest in just 19 seconds and he was an obvious choice for the Outstanding Wrestler award.

Best Match went to the 120-pound final where Bradley’s Trey Hicks, T.J.’s triplet, posted a tense 9-8 decision over Lawrence County’s Luke Dezember.

Other champions for Bradley included Wesley Devaney at 106, Ethan Anderson at 126, Ryan McElhaney at 132, Knox Fuller at 145, Austin Mathews at 152, Will Kaylor at 160, Henley Headrick at 172 and Trey Johnson at 182.

Other individual winners included Ringgold teammates Trevor Milling at 138 and heavyweight Enrique Maravilla. Brentwood’s C.J. Grissim was first at 195 while Ooltewah’s Victor Bednarski was the winner at 220.

There were 14 teams involved in Saturday’s competition and there were two weight classes – 106 and 220 – where there was a round robin format and no matches for first and third place.

While Bradley had 10 champions, Andy Robinson and Kevin Gentry were runner-ups at 138 and 195, respectively, while D.J. Gibson was third at 220.

Bradley coach Ben Smith works around the clock finding ways to make his team better. He knows from past experience that his team is always the team to beat and his Bears are the top target for most teams, but it’s all a process of getting ready for the season-ending tournaments in Franklin and that’s where the biggest awards are presented.

“It’s been a pretty good day for us as we came down here and won another tournament,†Smith said after the last Bear had competed for the day.

“We picked it up in the later rounds when we faced some tougher kids, but we have some new guys in the lineup and I really wanted to see how they would perform. I wanted to see how we would respond under pressure.

“We’re just now starting to get warmed up. We’ll find out just where we are on Tuesday afternoon,†he said, referring to his team’s next dual meet at Baylor.

Ringgold coach David Moss also some some positives for such an early-season tournament. The Tigers have already won the Cartersville Duals and the Tri-State Classic at Ringgold, so he was happy to take home the runner-up award.

“I like where we’re headed, but it’s early December and we have a long way to go,†he said shortly after Maravilla claimed Ringgold’s second individual title.

“We always enjoy coming up here and seeing some good competition from these Tennessee teams. I feel like we’re behind where we need to be at this point, but we’re getting there,†he added.

LEGEND AND FINAL TEAM SCORES: 1. Bradley (Brad) 268.5; 2. Ringgold (Ring) 169; 3. Red Bank (RB) 76; 4. Lawrence County (LC) 69; 5. Hardin Valley (HV) 67.5; 6. Brentwood (Brent) 65.5; 7. Farragut (Far) 48; 8. Chattanooga Central (Cen) 37; 9. Signal Mountain (SM) 36.5; 10. Ooltewah (O) 33.5; 11. Brainerd (Brain) 16; 12. Chattanooga Christian (CCS) 0.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 – Wesley Devaney (Brad) first and Daniel Uhorchuk (SM) second;

113 – T.J. Hicks (Brad) pinned Jeffrey Skeen (Ring), :19;

120 – Trey Hicks (Brad) dec. Luke Dezember (LC), 9-8;

126 – Ethan Anderson (Brad) pinned Jacob Haney (LC), 5:49;

132 – Ryan McElhaney (Brad) pinned Graham Brothers (Brent), 2:59;

138 – Trevor Milling (Ring) pinned Andy Robinson (Brad), 3:12;

145 – Knox Fuller (Brad) pinned Jonah Bird (RB), 1:16;

152 – Austin Mathews (Brad) dec. Griffin Green (Ring), 7-4;

160 – Will Kaylor (Brad) pinned Brett Ford (LC), 2:56;

170 – Henley Headrick (Brad) pinned Malachi Parker (Ring), 5:05;

182 – Trey Johnson (Brad) dec. Donte McClendon (Ring), 6-1;

195 – C.J. Grissim (Brent) dec. Kevin Gentry (Brad), 9-4;

220 – Victor Bednarski (O) was first and Keenan Sloan (HV) second;

285 – Enrique Maravilla (Ring) pinned Jeremiah Welch (RB), 1:37.

CONSOLATION FINALS

106 – Cabrin Vios (Far) was third;

113 – Tyler McKeefery (Far) pinned Isaac Tate (SM), 3:18;

120 – Caden Cline (RB) pinned Paul Pitcher (HV), 2:54;

126 – Evan McDaniel (Cen) dec. Zachary Gee (RB), 8-3;

132 – Tyler Henry (HV) pinned Holden Moss (Ring), 1:23;

138 – Devin Martin (Far) pinned Tucker Passons (O), :44;

145 – Joey Collins (Ring) dec. Isaac Asselih (Brent), 6-4;

152 – Isaac Coffman (Cen) dec. Josh Pietarila (HV), 4-2;

160 – Colby Finch (Brent) dec. Will Davis (SM) 14-12 in overtime;

170 – Jackson Hash (RB) pinned Marshall Murphey (HV), 1:27;

182 – Zach Broemmel (HV) pinned Jacob Dubberly (LC), 5:34;

195 – Noah Keaton (Ring) pinned Damion Gray (LC), :50;

220 – D.J. Gibson (Brad) was third and Devon Suddeth (RB) fourth;

285 – Jamichael Wilson (Brain) pinned Charles Jones (Cen), 4:52.

-------------------

Soddy Daisy Wrestlers Win Three In Tullahoma

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/12/4/337406/Soddy-Daisy-Wrestlers-Win-Three-In-Tullahoma.aspx

Trojans Beat Wilson Central, Ravenwood And Stewarts Creek

Sunday, December 4, 2016 - by special report to chattanoogan.com

The Soddy Daisy wrestling team made a Saturday trip to Tullahoma worthwhile as the Trojans came back with three wins, including a 40-31 victory over Wilson Central, a 61-15 verdict over Ravenwood and a 54-19 win over Stewarts Creek.

There were five Soddy Daisy wrestlers with three wins on the day, but 126-pound Charles Wheaten was the only one with three pins.  The other four included Curtis Settles, Ty Boeck, Jacob Allen and Emory Holcomb.

The Trojans return to action on Tuesday when they travel to Hixson.

SODDY DAISY 54, STEWARTS CREEK 19

(Match began at 152 Pounds)

106 -- Jacob Allen (SD) pinned Saylor Clayton, :34;

113 -- Kenny Harless (SC) major dec. Cole Prestwood, 10-2;

120 -- Lucas Gaines (SC) dec. Jacob Pratt, 2-0;

126 -- Charles Wheaton (SD) pinned Jaylen James, 2:25;

132 -- Carson Helton (SC) pinned Jacob Kilgore, 3:22;

138 -- Gabe Rogers (SC) dec. Slater Daniel, 8-5;

145 -- Emory Holcomb (SD) won by injury default over Treavor South;

152 -- Andrew Hooper (SC) dec. Tony Wilson, 5-2;

160 -- Cade Ghaffari (SD) pinned Eli Haynes, 2:00'

170 -- Hayden Maynor (SD) pinned Reggie Brown, 3:24;

182 -- Caleb Addison (SD) won by disqualification over Justin Chambers;

195 -- Curtis Settles (SD) pinned Alek Wells, 1:20;

220 -- Ty Boeck (SD) pinned Austin Martin, 1:52;

285 -- Addison Roberts (SD) pinned Ian Calley, :13.

SODDY DAISY 61, RAVENWOOD 15

(Match began at 160 Pounds)

106 -- Jacob Allen (SD) won by forfeit;

113 -- Everett Jackson ® pinned Cole Prestwood, 3:03;

120 -- Jacob Pratt (SD) won by forfeit;

126 -- Charles Wheaton (SD) pinned James Vangelli, :44;

132 -- Jacob Kilgore (SD) major dec. Nick Santoro, 9-0;

138 -- Elijah Dryer ® dec. Slater Daniel, 5-2;

145 -- Emory Holcomb (SD) won by injury default over Nicholas Freeman;

152 -- Tony Wilson (SD) pinned Jonathan Taylor, :44;

160 -- Cade Ghaffari (SD) dec. Wesley Roberts, 7-1;

170 -- Hayden Maynor (SD) pinned Mikhtar Desouki, 3:59;

182 -- Alec Fernandez ® pinned Caleb Addison, 3:07;

195 -- Curtis Settles (SD) pinned Brandon Huff, :37;

220 -- Ty Boeck (SD) won by forfeit;

285 -- Addison Roberts (SD) won by pin.

SODDY DAISY 40, WILSON CENTRAL 31

(Match began at 170 Pounds)

106 -- Jacob Allen (SD) pinned Grant Fetters, 5:01;

113 -- Gage Bachus (WC) pinned Cole Prestwood, 2:00;

120 -- Sean Sesnan (WC) major dec. Jacob Pratt, 10-1;

126 -- Charles Wheaton (SD) pinned Simon Pergande, :15;

132 -- Jacob Kilgore (SD) dec. Alex Pergande, 1-0;

138 -- Slater Daniel (SD) pinned Prentice Belcher, 4:00;

145 -- Emory Holcomb (SD) pinned Dave Moredo, :15;

152 -- Tony Wilson (SD) major dec. Matthew Hester, 14-0;

160 -- Sinjin Noga (WC) pinned Cade Ghaffari, 2:00;

170 -- Damon Smith (WC) dec. Hayden Maynor, 7-4;

182 -- Niko Noga (WC) pinned Caleb Addison, 2:59;

195 -- Curtis Settles (SD) won by forfeit;

220 -- Ty Boeck (SD) dec. Kolin Miller, 9-3;

285 -- Michael Kramer (WC) pinned Addison Roberts, :37.

(Email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@gmail.com)

----------------------

Cleveland getting back to form...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/12/3/337368/Cleveland-Wrestlers-Win-Four-In-Tullahoma.aspx

Cleveland Wrestlers Win Four In Tullahoma

Blue Raiders Getting Ready For Cleveland Duals Next Saturday

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Saturday was a good day all around for the Cleveland Blue Raider wrestling team as they won four matches here at Tullahoma High School, including two with shutouts.

The Blue Raiders recorded nine pins in a 79-0 win over Stewart's Creek and nine more in a 76-0 whipping of Oakland. The other two wins came against Wilson Central by a 38-28 margin and host Tullahoma by a 55-18 final.

Six Cleveland wrestlers won all four times they took the mat, including Garret Bowers who had three pins and a forfeit at 113 pounds.

Other four-time winners included Robert Hicks, Seth Garcia, Bryce Pond, Colton Landers and Cody Mathews.

Michael Whiteside had three wins with two technical falls and a pin while Zach Brezna and Caleb Eachus also picked up three wins with two pins apiece.

CLEVELAND 38, WILSON CENTRAL 28

(Match began at 152 Pounds)

106 -- Grant Fetters (WC) dec. Garrett Stevenson, 5-2;

113 -- Garret Bowers (Clev) pinned Gage Bachus, 2:47;

120 -- Bryce Pond (Clev) dec. Sean Sesnam, 4-0;

126 -- Simon Pergande (WC) dec. Jayce Mullin, 4-0;

132 -- Colton Landers (Clev) dec. Alex Pergande, 10-6;

138 -- Cody Mathews (Clev) pinned Prentice Belcher, 5:22;

145 -- Michael Whiteside (Clev) won by technical fall over Dave Moredo, 4:00;

152 -- Caleb Eachus (Clev) dec. Matthew Hester, 9-3;

160 -- Sinjin Noga (WC) major dec. Zach Brezna, 10-2;

170 -- Damon Smith (WC) pinned Dylan Jones, 3:07;

182 -- Robert Hicks (Clev) won by forfeit;

195 -- Niko Noga (WC) pinned Jason Strickland, 2:55;

220 -- Seth Garcia (Clev) pinned Kolin Miller, 4:00;

285 -- Michael Kramer (WC) pinned Titus Shafton, :59.

CLEVELAND 55, TULLAHOMA 18

(Match began at 170 Pounds)

106 -- Burns Meagher © won by forfeit;

113 -- Garret Bowers © pinned Cal Rogers, 2;13;

120 -- Bryce Pond © major dec. Will Moran, 15-2;

126 -- Luke Price (T) pinned Jayce Mullin, 1:35;

132 -- Colton Landers © won by forfeit;

138 -- Cody Mathews © pinned Braxton Potts, 3:41;

145 -- Aaron Kelly (T) dec. Michael Whiteside, 5-4;

152 -- Caleb Eachus © dec. John Bonee, 3-2;

160 -- Zach Brezna © won by forfeit;

170 -- Dylan Jones © won by forfeit;

182 -- Robert Hicks © pinned Brenden Adkins;

195 -- Alex Pursley (T) pinned Jason Strickland;

220 -- Seth Garcia © won by forfeit;

285 -- Luke Champion (T) dec. Michael Lewis, 9-6.

CLEVELAND 79, STEWARTS CREEK 0

(Match began at 195 Pounds)

106 -- Burns Meager © pinned Ethan Syler, 3:43;

113 -- Garret Bowers © pinned Kenny Harless, 2:00;

120 -- Bryce Pond © won by injury default over Lucas Gaines;

126 -- Jayce Mullin © pinned Jaylen James, 1:51;

132 -- Colton Landers © major dec. Carson Helton, 14-2;

138 -- Cody Mathews © dec. Gabe Rogers, 7-5 in overtime;

145 -- Michael Whiteside © pinned Riley Howell, :21;

152 -- Caleb Eachus © pinned Bryce Haven, :43;

160 -- Zach Brezna © pinned Eli Haynes, 5:00;

170 -- Dylan Jones © pinned Reggie Brown, 2:27;

182 -- Robert Hicks © won by forfeit;

195 -- Jason Strickland © pinned Ethan Reed, :20;

220 -- Seth Garcia © won by forfeit;

285 -- Michael Lewis © pinned Ian Calley, 2:00.

CLEVELAND 76, OAKLAND 0

(Match began at 160 Pounds)

106 -- Garrett Stevenson © pinned Cameron Johnson, 3:52;

113 -- Garret Bowers © won by forfeit;

120 -- Bryce Pond © pinned Joe Bell, :59;

126 -- Jayce Mullin © dec. Brandon Moorehead, 10-8 in overtime;

132 -- Colton Landers © pinned Joshua Jacob, 1:10;

138 -- Cody Mathews © won by technical fall over Sean Eastman, 4:44;

145 -- Michael Whiteside © won by technical fall over Chris Mendez, 4:53;

152 -- Caleb Eachus © pinned Caleb Bouma, 5:33;

160 -- Zach Brezna © pinned Devion Anderson, 2:32;

170 -- Dylan Jones © pinned Cole Coughran, 3:45;

182 -- Robert Hicks © pinned Tekierius Green, :32;

195 -- Jason Strickland © dec. Ryan Bruley, 4-2;

220 -- Seth Garcia © pinned Kameron Bingham, 1:02;

285 -- Titus Shafton © pinned Michael McCullough, 3:47.

-----------------

UVa Tops Moc Wrestlers, 34-11

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/12/4/337402/UVa-Tops-Moc-Wrestlers-34-11.aspx

Carr, Dent, Johnson are UTC winners

Sunday, December 4, 2016

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team dropped a 34-11 match to Virginia at Maclellan Gym today. The Mocs fell behind early and could not overcome a big lead the Cavaliers built on bonus points.

The first three matches did not make it into the third period, with Virginia scoring a technical fall and two pins to go up 17-0.

Freshman

com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5833" target="_blank" aria-haspopup="true" tabindex="0" style="color: rgb(51, 102, 153);">Dylanger Potter was the first to take his opponent the distance, fighting off bonus points late in a 9-3 loss at 149. The Cavaliers got right back at it with another technical fall at 157.

Junior Justin Lampe was on his way to putting Chattanooga on the board at 165 when disaster struck in that match. Lampe was leading 4-2 lead and appeared to have sealed the win with a takedown late in the third. However, in the scramble, he wound up on his back and gave up a pin with just 13 seconds on the clock.

That put the match out of reach with UTC in a 31-0 hole. Senior Sean Mappes was also headed for a win, scoring back points late at 174. However, he could not get the four count and left the bout tied 5-5 at the end of regulation. He then gave up the deciding takedown in extra time.

The Mocs did manage to win the last three matches, with junior Bryce Carr and senior Jared Johnsonscoring major decisions at 184 and heavyweight. Senior Clay Dent also had an impressive 6-1 win at 197.

Up next for UTC is a road trip to Ohio before the Christmas break. Chattanooga faces Ohio on Dec. 16 in Athens before visiting Kent State on Dec. 18.

Don't forget about the 2017 Southern Scuffle, presented by Compound Clothing, at the McKenzie Arena on Jan. 1-2. This year's field involves nine of the preseason top 25, including No. 1 Oklahoma State, No. 5 Missouri and No. 7 Cornell.

Individually, there are 76 wrestlers with a preseason ranking set to visit the Scenic City. This includes three NCAA Champions and 25 All-Americans. Tickets are available on GoMocs.com.

Virginia 34 – No. 24 Chattanooga 11

Maclellan Gym – Chattanooga, Tenn. – Sunday – Dec. 5, 2016

125: No. 15 Jack Mueller (UVA) – Tech Fall 18-2 (3:00) – Alonzo Allen (UTC) – UVA 5-0

133: Will Mason (UVA) – Fall 2:13 – Chris Debien (UTC) – UVA 11-0

141: No. 10 George DiCamillo (UVA) – Fall 2:13 – Roman Boylen (UTC) – UVA 17-0

149: Sam Krivus (UVA) – Dec. 9-3 – Dylanger Potter (UTC) – UVA 20-0

157: No. 17 Andrew Atkinson (UVA) – Tech Fall 16-0 (3:17) – Brandon Filosi (UTC) – UVA 25-0

165: Cam Harrell (UVA) – Fall 6:47 – Justin Lampe (UTC) – UVA 31-0

174: Ray Bethea (UVA) – Dec. 7-5 (SV1) – Sean Mappes (UTC) – UVA 34-0

184: Bryce Carr (UTC) – MD 17-5 – Will Schany (UVA) – UVA 34-4

197: Clay Dent (UTC) – Dec. 6-1 – Chance McClure (UVA) – UVA 34-7

285: No. 14 Jared Johnson (UTC) – MD 8-0 – Tyler Love (UVA) – UVA 34-11

Edited by Sommers

Bradley Central wrestlers bump off Baylor, 43-30

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2016/dec/07/bradley-wrestlers-bump-baylor-43-30/401701/

December 7th, 2016by Ward Gossettin Sports - Preps

Pic

The intensity between the Bradley Central and Baylor wrestling teams Tuesday night at Baylor matched the rankings accorded to each, and the top-ranked visiting Bears came out on top.

As a matter of fact, they locked up the 43-30 victory over the fourth-ranked Red Raiders with four matches still to be wrestled in front of a lively full house.

"That was fun. It was about what we expected," Bradley coach Ben Smith said. "I felt we'd get a few more bonus points in some of the matches, and I thought (Baylor) did a good job fighting off their backs in some situations. Any time you can get a win over one of the most storied programs in Tennessee wrestling history, you have to feel good."

Bradley (8-0) dominated, rolling up a 37-12 advantage through 10 matches and clinching the win in that 10th match on a 10-4 decision from 152-pound Austin Matthews.

At one point the Bears reeled off five consecutive victories starting with Wesley Devaney (106) and continuing through T.J. Hicks (113), Trey Hicks (120), Ethan Anderson (126) and Ryan McElhaney (132). The Hicks brothers and McElhaney had pins, T.J. getting his in just 14 seconds, and Devaney just missed a technical fall.

The Red Raiders' Austin Atchley broke the streak with a pin at 138, but the Bears countered with wins from Knox Fuller and Mathews.

Baylor (4-1) began closing the gap with pins from Mason Reiniche (160) and Khamari Whimper, which sandwiched an injury default victory by Riley Westlake (170).

"I knew at 170 the way my 170 (Henley Headrick) wrestles that somebody was going to their back in that match," Smith said.

Westlake was taken to his back by Headrick in what was judged to be an illegal throw and was unable to continue. Initial reports were that he had suffered a concussion, and he was headed to the hospital for tests.

"I hope Westlake is OK. The outcome of that one the way it started out was going to be six points for somebody," the Bradley coach said.

All five of Baylor's victories produced maximum bonus points, although the Red Raiders are likely to do some retooling in the upper weights when health issues are resolved.

"We're going to get better and it's going to be a fun year," Baylor coach Ben Nelson said. "It gets frustrating when you don't see immediate results, but we're going to be fine. But Bradley wrestled great. That's why we love to get to wrestle those guys. It's a good indicator of where we are and where we need to be."

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him on Twitter.com/wardgossett.

---------------------

McMinn wrestling falls to Grace

http://m.dailypostathenian.com/sports/article_928c93ea-bbcd-11e6-810b-c7fa86116b6a.html?mode=jqm

McMinn County's Gage Boggess tries to take control of his opponent during Saturday's wrestling matchup against Grace Chrisitian. McMinn lost 43-36.

Minn County High School’s wrestling team dropped a 45-36 loss to visiting Knoxville’s Grace Academy on Saturday.

Winning their matches by pinfall for the Cherokees were Garrett Hall (138-pound division) and Graydon Colbaugh (145). Dylan Ricker (120), Matthew Gossett (170), Nick Anderson (220) and Tyler Varnadore (285) each won by forfeit.

Gage Boggess lost, but took his opponent into triple overtime despite moving up a weight class, competing at the 126-pound divi¬sion instead of his usual 120-pound limit.

McMinn Coach David Stoika thought his team didnt’t peform well in the loss.

“Very disappointing and very discouraging,†Stoika said about the match. “That was a very

winnable meet. We made too many simple, basic mistakes that we should know better than to do. Again, our inexperience is showing.â€

There were some bright spots, however.

“Our guys that won, such as Dylan Ricker, Garrett Hall and Graydon Colbaugh, all wrestled very well, as did Gage Boggess (in a close loss).â€

McMinn’s next meet is 6 p.m. tonight at home against Chattanooga Christian. After that, the Cherokees head to East Hamilton to wrestle them and Soddy Daisy on Thursday.

--------------------

Bradley vs Baylor snippet part 1...

https://youtu.be/P5qgYl3925w

Conclusion Part Two...

https://youtu.be/KTgWlXMFpsU

---------------

Some preliminary coverage prior to the big match BC won 41-30 tonight in Chattanooga...

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/bear-matmen-to-be-tested-at-baylor-

Bear matmen to be tested at Baylor tonight

THREE-TIME state champion Knox Fuller, bottom, will lead top-ranked Bradley Central into battle this evening against third-ranked Baylor, on the private school’s campus at the foot of Signal Mountain.

BANNER FILE PHOTO, JOE CANNON

Buy this photo

Posted Tuesday, December 6, 2016 11:07 am

By JOE CANNON Banner Assistant Sports Editor

With seven dual meet victories, including a weekend tournament title, plus a runaway championship at the Ooltewah Invitational with 10 individual titles, the reigning state champion Bradley Central wrestling team is yet to be seriously challenged.

That’s about to change this evening as the Bears head to the foot of Signal Mountain to take on private-school powerhouse Baylor, the 2015-16 Division II state runners-up.

“We got a good challenge from Coahulla Creek (Ga.), who won the Knox Catholic Invitational this weekend,†head coach Ben Smith said of the 53-18 season-opening win. “They had us down (18-17) after eight matches before our ‘hammers’ won the last six matches.â€

While the top-ranked Bears have been on the mat for two weeks of competition to open the new season, third-ranked (second among D-II schools) Baylor didn’t wrestle for the first time until Saturday, when it swept four matches at the Tullahoma Duals.

“We’ve had a little more time on the mat than they have, but Coach (Ben) Nelson will have them ready to go against us,†assured Smith, whose team hasn’t lost a dual meet since falling to D-II state champion Father Ryan in last year’s Cleveland Duals pool play.

Bradley was able to claim a hard fought 38-29 victory over the Red Raiders when they met at Jim Smiddy arena last December, in a match that had both teams ranked No. 1 in their respective state polls.

“Going down there this year will make it tougher,†Smith assessed. “They have an older, smaller gym that will be packed with their fans. We hope to carry a good crowd with us, but with the (Cleveland at Bradley) basketball games going on as well, plus having to travel down there with the weather expected to be bad, I don’t know.â€

Those brave enough to make the trek for the 6 p.m. start will be rewarded with some of the best wrestling the state has to offer.

“They have their strengths in guys like (North Carolina signee Khamari) Whimper and (Mason) Reiniche, who both won state titles last year, plus some other state medalists, but we have our state champs as well — Knox (Fuller, a three-time state titlists), TJ (Hicks, a two-time state winner) and (Ryan) McElhaney, plus some other guys who placed at the state as well,†commented Smith.

“There’s going to be some really good matches,†he added. “Caleb Adkins and Reiniche at 160 may be the best match of the night.â€

Ranked fourth by Pin-TN.com, Adkins is off to a 6-0 start to the season while Reiniche, the D-II 152-pound champ last season, won all four of his matches Saturday, including three by pins.

Bradley’s lineup will include eight wrestlers who are currently state-ranked, including Fuller (145), Hicks (113) and McElhaney (132) all at No. 1.

The trio are all undefeated so far this season, as are second-ranked Austin Mathews (152), Wes Devaney (106) and Trey Hicks (120), both listed fourth in their respective polls, and sixth-ranked Henley Headrick (170).

The D-II individual rankings haven’t been published yet this season, but along with its two top dogs, Baylor features returning state medalist Riley Westlake (third at 160) and John Pettway (fifth at 106).

A half dozen Baylor matmen won all four of their matches Saturday, while four others went 3-1. As a team the Red Raiders had 25 pins in Tullahoma.

“Devaney and Pettway will be another good match, as will Headrick and Westlake,†the Bear coach commented. “We’ll have to come out ready to wrestle. They had four pretty easy wins at Tullahoma.â€

The Red Raiders defeated Stewarts Creek 55-23, Oakland 73-6, Cookeville 62-18 and Ravenwood 60-10.

“This will be a good litmus test for us to see where we are,â€â€ˆSmith remarked. “We’ve had some early season adversity with weight cuts and injuries that we are working through, but we had a couple of backups (Will Kaylor at 160 and Trey Johnson at 182) step in where we guys were out and win championships at Ooltewah. I feel good about our guys.

“Kevin Gentry (195) came straight out of football and has wrestled every match. His only loss was in the finals at Ooltewah. Headrick looked good and went 3-0 this weekend, plus TJ (Hicks) mowed through the competition in his first action as well.â€

“The key is going to be bonus points. We need to stay off our backs and not give up bonus points, plus when we are the aggressors, we need to pick some up,†Smith concluded.

After tonight’s expected tough battle, the Bears won’t get much of a chance to rest with Hixson coming to Smiddy Arena Thursday and the Cleveland Duals this weekend.

-------------

UTC Wrestling Signs Eight

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/12/6/337569/UTC-Wrestling-Signs-Eight-.aspx

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling head coach Heath Eslinger announced the addition of eight signees for the 2017-18 season. The Mocs picked up four All-Americans and five state champions in this talented haul of recruits.

"I am excited about this class," said Eslinger. "We addressed some needs at certain weights and brought in a number of guys who can compete right away. Most importantly, these are all individuals who will be outstanding representatives of our University and our program.

"

Highlighting this list is three-time NHSCA All-American heavyweight Sammy Evans from Alcoa (Tenn.) High School. He is a three-time state champion and has finished in the top three each of the last three years at the NHSCA national championships.

Other All-Americans included Davion Fairley (141 – McDonough, Ga.), T.J. Hick (125 – Cleveland, Tenn.) and Franco Valdes (141 – Miami, Fla.). Fairley is an NHSCA junior All-American and National junior duals freestyle All-American. He was also a state runner-up at Union Grove High School.

Hick is from nearby Bradley Central High School where he is a two-time state champion. He was a Flo Nationals All-American in 2016, where he was the runner-up. He also finished second at the NHSCA junior nationals. Valdes is a state champion from Southwest High School in Miami, Fla. He earned his All-American honors at the 2016 Super 32.

Two other state champs include Chase Stephens (157 – Coatesville, Pa.) and Mason Wallace (149 – Manhattan, Kan.). Stephens was 40-4 as a junior at Coatsville Area High School, while Wallace has won back-to-back titles for Manhattan High School (Kan.).

Also included in the class is a pair of 165-pounders in Drew Nicholson (Memphis, Tenn.) and Ryan Resnick (Chester Spring, Pa). Nicholson is a state finalist from Christian Brothers High School in Memphis where he was 43-7 record as a junior. Resnick qualified for the very tough Pennsylvania state tournament last season and has a 92-33 prep mark.

Up next for UTC is a road trip to Ohio before the Christmas break. Chattanooga faces Ohio on Dec. 16 in Athens before visiting Kent State on Dec. 18.

Don't forget about the 2017 Southern Scuffle, presented by Compound Clothing, at the McKenzie Arena on Jan. 1-2. This year's field involves nine of the preseason top 25, including No. 1 Oklahoma State, No. 5 Missouri and No. 7 Cornell.

Individually, there are 76 wrestlers with a preseason ranking set to visit the Scenic City. This includes three NCAA Champions and 25 All-Americans. Tickets are available on GoMocs.com.

2016 Wrestling Signees

Sammy Evans – 285 – Alcoa, Tenn. – Alcoa HS

Three-time NHSCA High School All-American … national runner-up in 2014 and third each of the last two years … currently No. 9 in the nation according to Intermat … All-American honors at the 2014 Fargo and 2016 Flo Nationals … 118-4 career prep mark at Alcoa (Tenn.) High School for head coach Brian Gossett … three-time state champion … has not lost since his freshman season … first wrestler from Alcoa to sign an NCAA Division I scholarship … member of the DECA and Key Clubs … PERSONAL … full name is Samson Eugene Evans … born Aug. 20, 1998 … son of Jennifer Evans … has a younger brother, Noah … plans to major in Marketing.

Coach Eslinger on Sammy:

"Getting student-athletes of Sammy's caliber from our home state is crucial. His success will definitely carry over to the next level."

Davian Fairley – 141 – McDonough, Ga. – Union Grove HS

NHSCA Junior All-American … National Junior Duals Freestyle All-American … two-time Georgia Freestyle Champion … two-time Georgia Greco Champion … state runner-up as a junior at Union Grove High School in McDonough, Ga. … competed for head coach Matt Ferrari … 129-27 career prep record … third place at the state tournament as a sophomore … member of the National Society of High School Scholars … PERSONAL … full name is Davion Alexander Fairley … son of David and Latasha Fairley … born August 18, 1999 … has an older sister, Deasia, and a younger brother, Devin … plans to major in Graphic Design with a minor in Marketing.

Coach Eslinger on Davion:

"Davion is a talented athlete and a hard worker. His ceiling is very high and we believe his best days are ahead of him."

T.J. Hicks – 125 – Cleveland, Tenn. - Bradley Central HS

2016 Flo Nationals All-American where he was a runner-up … also All-American and runner-up at NHSCA Junior Nationals … two-time state champion at Bradley Central High School in Cleveland, Tenn. … 101-1 career prep record … competes for head coach Ben Smith … 40 of 50 wins as a junior were pins … led the Bears to the dual and tournament state titles … PERONSAL … full name is Thomas Arland Hicks … son of Tommy and Tracy Hicks … born June 6, 1999 … one of triplets, including brother Trey and sister Amanda … has a younger brother, Sam … undecided on a major.

Coach Eslinger on T.J.:

"TJ comes from a great program and is accustomed to winning. One thing you know about T.J. is that every time he steps on the mat, he is going to compete""

Drew Nicholson – 165 – Memphis, Tenn. – Christian Brothers HS

State finalist for head coach Chris Lewis at Christian Brothers High School in Memphis, Tenn. … 43-7 record as a junior … member of the Commercial Appeal Best of Preps All-Metro Team and Wrestler of the Year finalist … won the state title in freestyle and Greco three times … runner up in the Greco SE regionals in 2016 … third in freestyle … finished third at the 2016 Ohio Tournament of Champions … Honor Roll student and a member of the National Honor Society … PERSONAL … full name is Andrew Joseph Nicholson … born sept. 8, 1998 … son of Jerry & Tress Nicholson … has a younger brother, Luke … undecided on a major.

Coach Eslinger on Drew:

"Drew is a young man who has been in the shadows of some other top Tennessee wrestlers. His improvements over the last few years are impressive and we believe he will continue that climb for us at Chattanooga."

Ryan Resnick – 165 – Chester Spring, Pa. – Owen J. Roberts HS

2016 state qualifier from Owen J. Roberts High School in Poltstown, Pa. … competed for head coach Steve DeRafelo … 92-33 career prep record … two-time regional qualifier … won the section, runner-up in the district and placed sixth at the regional as a junior … two-time King of the Mountain Medalist … also medalist at the Escape the Rock and Conestoga Valley Tournaments … member of the Honor Roll and the All-Academic team … PERSONAL … full name is Ryan Francis Resnick … born Nov. 9, 1998 … son of Fran and Jennifer Resnick … has a twin brother Luke, and younger twin sisters Ava and Carly … father wrestled at West Chester University … plans to major in Business.

Coach Eslinger on Ryan:

"Ryan is a phenomenal athlete and a great fit for our program. His best days competitively are ahead of him and I am glad they will be spent with us."

Chase Stephens – 157 – Coatesville, Pa. – Coatesville Area HS

State medalist as a junior at Coatesville Area High School in Coatesville, Pa. … section and district champ last two years … placed at the region last two seasons … 40-4 record with 29 pins as a junior … wrestled for his father, Bear Stephens … 113-18 career record heading into his senior year … two-time first team All-Ches-Mont … All-Southeastern PA in 2016 … D1 All-Academic Team and PIAA All-State Academic Team (Honorable Mention) … also competed in the pole vault for the track & field team … PERSONAL … full name is Chase Vincent Stephens … born Feb. 23, 1999 … son of Bear & Aubrey Stephens … has an older brother, Noah … plans to major in Sports Administration/exercise Science.

Coach Eslinger on Chase:

"Chase has the "it" factor. He is funky and knows how to win. He will be well prepared to step in and do big things for our program."

Franco Valdes – 141 – Miami, Fla. - Southwest HS

All-American at Miami's Southwest High School … wrestles for head coach Joel Mendez … won the state title as a freshman and runner up last two seasons … All-American honors at the 2016 Super 32 … two-time AAU All-American … runner-up at the 2014 Michigan Grappler … PERSONAL … son of Frank and Monica Valdes … born Dec. 21, 1999 … has a younger sister Mia … plans to major in Physical Therapy.

Coach Eslinger on Franco:

"Stingy is how I would describe Franco's wrestling. He just loves to compete and makes his opponents earn everything. His grit is going to make him a great collegiate wrestler."

Mason Wallace – 149 – Manhattan, Kan. – Manhattan HS

Two-time state champion and team captain at Manhattan (Kan.) High School … … competes for head coach Robert Gonzales … 120-9 career prep record … All-American at the Folkstyle Nationals as a freshman … runner up at NHSCA Virginia Beach as a sophomore … member of the Team Kansas National Team … two-time freestyle state champion … two-time Greco state runner-up … 2016 Southern Plains Greco Champion ... one match away from AA status at Fargo in Freestyle, 2 years in a row … PERSONAL … full name is Mason Gregory Wallace … born Aug. 2, 1998 … son of Matt and Aricca Wallace.

Coach Eslinger on Mason:

"We loved Mason from day one. He is a competitor that is willing to put in the work. He is also a young man who immediately fit in with our staff and athletes. We can't wait to move him out of the midwest to the south."

Edited by Sommers