Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Mt Juliet And Wilson Central to state..

http://wilsonpost.com/wrestling----two-local-teams-earn-state-berths-cms-90061

WRESTLING -- Two local teams earn state berths

Post staff reports

Published: January 27, 2017

Central, MJHS finish 1, 2 in region

CLARKSVILLE -- It was a history-making night Thursday, jan. 26 for local high school wrestling as two Wilson County teams earned berths in the TSSAA Dual State Tournament Feb. 3 and 4 at the Williamson County Expo Center.

Wilson Central (now 37-8) will be returning to the state duals for the sixth consecutive year on the heels of a 60-15 victory over Mt. Juliet in the Region 7 finals -- hosted by Northwest High School.

"I am proud of these boys," said WCHS coach John Kramer. "We have struggled with injuries all season and still have two ranked kids out of the lineup.

"The boys we've had in the lineup have stepped up all season long and showed some character this year."

Wildcat sophomore Michael Kramer improved to 50-0 with a pair of wins over foes from Clarksville High and Mt. Juliet.

By virtue of an opening round win regional win over host Northwest, the Golden Bears move on to the state duals for the first time with a record of 25-5.

Wilson Central 60, Mt. Juliet 15

138: Zackrey Wilkins (MJ) over Prentice Belcher (WC) Dec. 12-7;

145: Jacob Hudson (MJ) over Josh Murray (WC) Fall 0:57;

152: Matthew Hester (WC) over Nathanael Hoffman (MJ) Fall 3:03;

160: Logan Dunphy (MJ) Forfeit;

170: Damon Smith (WC) over Dylan Quinn (MJ) Dec. 6-2;

182: Niko Noga (WC) over Christopher Humpherys (MJ) Injury;

195: Daniel Hills (WC) over Brycen Bruning (MJ) Fall 0:57;

220: Aundres` Trotter (WC) over Daniel Smith (MJ) Fall 1:13;

285: Michael Kramer (WC) over Bryan Horner (MJ) Fall 1:00;

106: Tyler Jones (WC) Forfeit;

113: Grant Fetters (WC) over Gabe Tracy (MJ) Fall 0:19;

120: Gage Bachus (WC) over Christopher Miller (MJ) Fall 1:21;

126: Sean Sesnan (WC) Forfeit;

132: Alex Pergande (WC) over Donovan Henry (MJ) Dec. 5-3.

Mt. Juliet 34, Northwest 25

132: Donovan Henry (MJ) over Jacob Myers (NW) Fall 3:02;

138: Jalen Henry (MJ) over Seth Willaims (NW) Dec 8-2;

145: Zackrey Wilkins (MJ) Forfeit;

152: Steven Weist (MJ) over Antonio Alejos (NW) Dec. 5-4;

160: Blake Spink (NW) over Logan Dunphy (MT) MD 14-2;

170: Dylan Quinn (MJ) over Trever Hanson (NW) Dec. 4-2;

182: Zack Garringer (MT) over Cooper Palmieri (NW) Dec. 6-1;

195: Nathan Walling (MJ) over Dylan Carney (NW) Dec. 14-7;

220: Craig Barbour (NW) over Daniel Smith (MJ) Fall 3:22;

285: Goldberg Johnson (NW) over Bryan Horner (MT) Dec. 8-2;

106: Nicholas Myers (NW) Forfeit;

113: Jordan Burgess (NW) over Gabe Tracy (MT) Fall 0:18;

120: Christopher Miller (MT) over Carson Quintard (NW) MD 9-0;

126: Austin Plumlee (MJ) over DeSaun Dail (NW) Dec. 8-1.

---------------------------

’Toppers in region duals

JOHN MOOREHOUSE • TODAY AT 12:38 AM

[email protected]

JOHNSON CITY — Three of the top six movies at the box office in 2016 were sequels of some shape, form or fashion. Tennessee High’s wrestling team stuck with the trend Thursday night. The Vikings won the Region 1-AAA duals for the second straight time, besting Science Hill by a 37-24 margin in the finals.

“Kind of our motto this week: Lightning strikes twice. History repeats itself. Whatever cliche you want to use,†Vikings coach Tim Marshall said. “That was what motivated us this season.â€

The homestanding Hilltoppers reached the region final by defeating Dobyns-Bennett by a 49-29 margin in the semifinals. Only the region finalists advance to state duals.

Less than 10 days removed from a loss to these same ’Toppers at Viking Hall that secured the conference title and top regional seed for Science Hill, Tennessee High flipped the script in Johnson City, silencing a raucous atmosphere for the hosts that included cheerleaders and walkout music for each ’Topper grappler.

The pomp and circumstance did not distract the Vikings; they won the first three matches, building a 16-0 lead, and never looked back. THS built a 31-12 lead with three matches to go, mathematically clinching a second straight region title.

“Everybody stepped up,†Marshall said. “We had kids hurt, hadn’t practiced for a couple weeks, but they stepped back in the lineup like they hadn’t missed a beat.â€

Marshall’s counterpart, Jimmy Miller, was succinct.

“They scored points where they needed to; we didn’t.â€

It was smooth sailing for Science Hill in the semifinals. The conference victory gave the Hilltoppers a bye into the semis, where they awaited D-B and scored three consecutive wins by pin to build a 39-11 lead, far too big a gap for the Indians to close.

“We've just been battling injuries and sickness all year, but I’m proud of the kids. They went out and they busted their tails,†said Mann, who viewed it as a positive his team would miss the state duals because it meant extra practice time for the region individual tournament, which takes place Feb. 10-11 at D-B. “Hopefully we get some of these bugs worked out and we’ll be firing on all cylinders when we get there.â€

The state duals take place next weekend, Feb. 3-4, in Franklin.

------------------------

More Chattanooga/No Georgia area wrestling updates...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2017/jan/27/sequatchie-coach-davgoes-1000th-girls-win/409763/

GHSA area tourneys starts

The quest for individual wrestling glory begins today across Georgia with area traditional tournaments. Four competitors from each area weight class will advance to the sectional events next weekend. The culmination will be the GHSA state tournament Feb. 9-11 in Macon.

Team titles also will be on the line, with the goal each step to advance as many wrestlers as possible. Two of the events, the 6-AAAA at Gilmer and the 3-AAA at Bremen, will pose extra challenges to programs seeking a state team title.

The 6-AAAA event features the host Bobcats, the recent state duals runner-up and last year's state champion, and three other teams capable of top-10 state finishes: Ridgeland, Heritage and Northwest Whitfield. The 3-AAA tournament has the state duals champion in host Bremen, duals third-place team Sonoraville and last year's state runner-up, Ringgold.

Trion, last year's state traditional runner-up, will be the favorite at the 3-A tournament at Mount Zion. Armuchee hosts the 3-AA event, while Dalton will compete in the 6-AAAAAA tournament at Allatoona.

Exciting Flo updates at D-1 College level as March Madness approaches...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2017-01-26/college-wrestling-iowa-hosts-ohio-state-penn-state-redshirt-heard

College wrestling: Iowa hosts Ohio State; Penn State redshirt heard around the world

Pic

Missouri Athletics

Missouri takes on top-ranked Oklahoma State this week at home

College wrestling: Iowa hosts Ohio State; Penn State redshirt heard around the world

Roger Moore | NCAA.com

Last Updated - Jan 27, 2017 09:17 EST

Decisions were made in State College, Pennsylvania last week that could have major implications on the 2017 NCAA Championship race. The nation’s top recruit in 2016 was Apple Valley, Minnesota product Mark Hall, whose credentials include a Junior World Championship in freestyle and a 277-4 high school record. His true freshman season already included a title at the Southern Scuffle, beating Oklahoma State All-American Kyle Crutchmer in the 174-pound final. At that early January tournament, Hall thought his redshirt would most likely remain intact. But with a strong Oklahoma State win over Iowa and a rising Ohio State — Penn State head coach Cael Sanderson pulled Hall’s redshirt for the PSU-Iowa dual last Friday inside a raucous Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Iowa’s Alex Meyer rallied to beat Hall late, but the Nittany Lions won the dual comfortably, 26-11, thanks in part to Bo Nickal’s first-period pin and splade of Sammy Brooks minutes after Meyer’s win.

“I’m not one to be like discouraging on myself,†Hall said Wednesday. “After I wrestled I was upset for about five minutes or so and I was right back out rooting on the rest of my team. I’m pretty big on, you know, there’s something bigger to wrestling than just me, so I wasn’t too upset about it.

“I know God has a plan for me and whether that’s losing at Carver-Hawkeye and losing the rest of my matches for the rest of the year, or if it’s going to the NCAA finals and being an NCAA champion or things like that, whatever his plan for me I’m just going to be obedient in that aspect."

RELATED: Rankings | Awards announced

Hall added: “It was kind of my decision, I was kind of thinking about it for a while. Coach Cael (Sanderson), my teammates, my parents were pretty good and adamant about letting it be like something I wanted to do if I wanted to do it. They were really open.â€

“It was a tough decision, a tough decision for him,†Sanderson said. “And what’s not tough about it? It’s late in the year, his plan was to redshirt, but I’m excited about it. I’m excited we have Mark Hall in our lineup now and I’m excited about the next month and a half to get him ready for the nationals, and we’ll see him make a big jump between now and then.â€

PSU (8-0) wrestles at Wisconsin Friday and hosts Northwestern on Sunday before a massive trip to Ohio State on Feb. 3.

Hall (18-2) joins a powerful Nittany Lion squad that also includes two other talented rookies – Nick Suriano (11-1, 125) and Vincenzo Joseph (11-1, 165) – plus national champion Zain Retherford (13-0, 149) and NCAA runners-up Jason Nolf (13-0, 157) and Nickal (12-0, 184), both sophomores. Another sophomore, heavyweight Nick Nevills (12-0), is also unbeaten.

The next big one

Iowa’s gauntlet started in Stillwater with a loss to top-ranked Oklahoma State. It continued with the setback to the Nittany Lions last Friday. Round three of this brutal Hawkeye stretch includes a visit to Iowa City by unbeaten Ohio State this Friday. The Buckeyes will be without 2016 Olympic gold medalist Kyle Snyder, wrestling overseas this weekend. There are still plenty of quality matchups including:

â— 2015 NCAA champion Nathan Tomasello (10-0) against two-time NCAA finalist Cory Clark (10-1) at 133 pounds.

◠Unbeaten Micah Jordan (21-0) against 2016 NCAA finalist Brandon Sorenson (17-2), who took PSU’s Retherford to the wire last Friday.

◠Top-ranked Bo Jordan (8-0) against Iowa’s Meyer, who beat PSU’s Hall in his varsity debut.

â— Iowa All-American Sammy Brooks (16-2) is sure to be steaming after getting pinned in front of the home folks last Friday. The senior should meet 2016 NCAA champion Myles Martin (20-3).

RELATED: Power Rankings | Cowboys remain No. 1

Three duals to watch

Top-ranked Oklahoma State moved to 8-0 with a 31-9 win over South Dakota State last Sunday. A tricky trip to Columbia, Missouri is on tap Friday as the Cowboys face No. 7 Missouri (9-2). OSU leads the all-time series 41-6-1, but all six of the Tigers’ wins have come since Brian Smith became head coach, including 2015’s 22-10 win in Columbia. Six bouts feature wrestlers from each team ranked in the top 10 led by old rivals Anthony Collica and Lavion Mayes at 149 pounds. Collica, unbeaten this season, beat Mayes (13-1) in the Southern Scuffle finals.

Fifth-ranked Virginia Tech (13-1) wrestles at No. 10 Lehigh (8-2) Friday night. All-Americans Darian Cruz (18-2) of LU and Joey Dance (19-0) of Tech could kick off a very competitive meet. Two days after hosting the Hokies, the Mountain Hawks travel to Ann Arbor to face No. 15 Michigan. Lehigh looks to bounce back from a tough loss to Cornell.

Eggum officially the man in Minneapolis

Brandon Eggum was a three-time All-American for Minnesota and head coach J Robinson. On Thursday, the “interim†tag was taken off and Eggum, an assistant for the Gophers since 2001, was named head coach.

“Anyone who knows me knows this is my dream job and I’m thankful for the opportunity to live out that dream,†said Eggum in a release. “It’s an exciting day, no question, but today’s announcement doesn’t change what we’re focused on doing every day with our wrestling program. My staff and I work with our wrestlers to help them achieve their goals on and off the mat, and I’m happy that we will be able to continue that work for years to come.â€

Eggum was a two-time Big Ten champion and won a silver medal in freestyle at the 2001 World Championships.

The Gophers lost at Nebraska last Friday and beat Indiana on Sunday to move to 5-3. MU wrestles at Purdue on Sunday before hosting Iowa on Feb. 5.

At home briefly

Stanford has been on the road since early December, wrestling in Las Vegas, Chattanooga, New York and Philadelphia. Two weekends ago, coach Jason Borelli’s squad beat Princeton at the New York Athletic Club, then beat Drexel in Philadelphia. SU’s 10th straight date away from home saw Penn win a 19-17 dual.

Two home matches last weekend were a welcome site for the Cardinal, who hammered Air Force, 31-3, and two days later beat Arizona State, 21-14.

“The big thing is that we don’t feel like we wrestled our best and we were still able to win and that’s encouraging,†said Borelli, whose squad is 7-2 and returns to the road this Saturday to meet Boise State and Monday against Oregon State. “We feel like there are a couple of matches that could go our way the next time they compete, but we were also exposed in a couple of areas so we know there is a lot of room to improve across the board. It’s always nice to win against a conference team, a team that has a lot of hype behind them and is doing a lot of great things. It’s a confidence builder for our guys.

“I’m really happy with how our team has responded. We went east and beat Princeton and Drexel, but had a bit of a hiccup against Penn. To come back home and get back on track against Air Force and Arizona State after we faced a little bit of adversity on that trip is big.â€

Against the Sun Devils (7-3), All-American Joey McKenna (22-1) had a first-period pin at 141 pounds and heavyweight Nathan Butler (18-7) edged ASU’s Tanner Hall, 4-2, in the second sudden victory session.

Struggles in Ames

Iowa State fell to 1-7 with a 20-12 loss to in-state rival Northern Iowa last Friday. The Cyclones got sudden victory wins from Lelund Weatherspoon (174) and John Meeks (141), but dropped sudden victory decisions at 133 and 285 pounds. ISU’s lone victory came Nov. 26 at Northern Colorado.

“My stress level is of such where I rely on a higher calling than my position or my job situation,†said ISU head coach Kevin Jackson after the loss to UNI. “I know there is only one person, one God controlling my life so that is what I really hang my hat on.

“But at the same time, it’s real. I didn’t see everything that (Iowa State director of athletics) Jamie (Pollard) said but I saw some tweets. I understand the situation. It is not like I’m ignorant to the fact that we are not performing really well.â€

Iowa State hosts Oklahoma and Oklahoma State this Friday and Sunday, respectively.

Nail-biters

Utah Valley improved to 4-2 and won its third straight dual last Thursday with a 21-17 victory over California Bakersfield. Tied at 17, 174-pound redshirt-freshman Kimball Bastion earned a major decision in the final bout for the Wolverines. It marked UVU’s third straight dual where the final bout determined the winner.

“This was the best team performance that we’ve had all year,†UVU head coach Greg Williams said. “Everyone wrestled solid all the way through our lineup. We felt that this was definitely a step forward from last week, and that’s exactly what we’re looking for.â€

In a 17-16 win over Oregon State on Dec. 15, UVU won five of the last six bouts and earned the victory by tiebreaker with more total points (78-72) after each squad won five. An 18-15 victory over Air Force on Jan. 13 saw Tanner Orndorff (197) and Dustin Dennison (285) earn back-to-back decisions for the three-point win.

UVU finishes a three-dual homestand when Wyoming visits Orem on Saturday.

Quick Hits

◠Navy hosts the All Academy Championships in Annapolis, Md., this Sunday. Army edged the Midshipmen by 2 ½ points to claim the 2016 trophy a year after Air Force won the 2015 tournament.

◠Rider improved to 7-1 with a 43-12 victory over Cleveland State last Sunday. The Broncs, in head coach Gary Taylor’s final season, wrestle at Bloomsburg this Friday and at George Mason on Sunday. RU 165-pounder Chad Walsh (21-4) was named the EWL Wrestler of the Week.

Edited by Sommers

Big wins for Baylor and The Bro's too

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/1/28/340699/Kaufman-s-Major-Clinches-Baylor-Win.aspx

Kaufman's Major Clinches Baylor Win Over McCallie

Red Raiders Use Bonus Points As Springboard In 38-33 Victory

Saturday, January 28, 2017 - by John Hunt

Pic

Baylor's Porter Kaufman won a major decision against McCallie's John Braman at 113 to secure the 38-33 win for the Red Raiders.

- photo by M. A. Locke

Porter Kaufman hasn’t been through the Baylor-McCallie wrestling wars like some of his teammates, but the talented eighth grader came through like a champ on the big stage Saturday afternoon.

Kaufman has only been part of the Baylor varsity for a few weeks after a successful run in the middle-school league, but he didn’t let his lack of experience get in his way as it was his 8-0 major decision at 113 pounds that clinched the match for the Red Raiders as they defeated their arch-rival by a 38-33 final in a packed Jimmy Duke Arena.

Wrestling coaches always talk about how important bonus points are and that certainly came in to play Saturday after both teams had won seven matches.

The difference came down to those bonus points as Baylor earned bonus points in all seven wins while McCallie only got them in four of seven victories.

McCallie had four pins and three regular decisions while Baylor countered with three pins, one forfeit, two technical falls and Kaufman’s major.

Baylor improves to 10-2 overall and has clinched the top spot in its region while McCallie is now 9-5 overall and will be seeded second in the State Duals next weekend in Franklin.

This match always generates more interest and excitement than any other match in town and Saturday’s clash was no exception.

Ethan Dendy’s third-period pin at 152 gave McCallie its only lead of the day at 15-12, but Baylor won the next two matches with a pin from Mason Reiniche and a technical fall from Riley Westlake as the Red Raiders regained the upper hand at 23-15.

Khamari Whimper recorded the second technical fall for Baylor at 195 and Tyree Tolliver was awarded a forfeit at 220 for a commanding 34-18 lead for the hosts.

River Henry trimmed that lead to 34-21 with a regular decision at 285 and Alex Whitworth got the Blue Tornado within 34-27 with a pin at 106, setting the stage for Kaufman’s big win.

The slender youngster had takedowns in each of the first two periods before scoring a reverse and a two-point near fall in the final two minutes for the 8-0 win.

Zach Ward then posted a 2:57 pin in the final match at 120, but it really didn’t matter as Baylor had the match in hand with Kaufman’s win.

“That was fun as usual and I’m just thankful to be part of it,†said Baylor coach Ben Nelson afterward.

“We could have done a little more earlier to put things out of reach, but it came down to the next-to-last match. That’s a pretty big stage for a young man like Porter, but he handled it well and came through for us.

“Our goal all along has been to just keep getting better as we get near the end of the season and I think we’re right where we need to be. I don’t think anyone gave us much of a chance of beating Father Ryan and McCallie in our last two dual meets, but next weekend should be interesting.

“We’re all about the same place and there’s so much parity in our division. It should be a toss-up as to who shows up and wrestles the best next weekend,†Nelson concluded.

McCallie coach Mike Newman had done a bunch of figuring as to how this match might turn out long before the first wrestler took the mat.

It didn’t turn out the way he had planned.

“It turned out completely opposite to how I had figured, but it was just another hard-fought match between two really good teams. Matches like this are great for the sport of wrestling,†Newman began.

“We’ve never wrestled a perfect match, but we wrestled better today than we did last weekend and I feel like we’re headed in the right direction. Thomas Sell’s decision at 145 was a big win for us, but is always the case, it comes down to bonus points and I’m sure Baylor had more than we did,†he added.

McCallie’s other winners included Brock Herring with a pin at 132 and Walter Robinson with a 4-3 decision at 182.

Baylor’s other winners included Haden Hartline and Austin Atchley, who both posted pins at 126 and 138, respectively.

BAYLOR 38, McCALLIE 33

(Match began at 126 Pounds)

106 – Alex Whitworth (M) pinned Clayton Pettway, 3:47;

113 – Porter Kaufman (B) major dec. John Braman, 8-0;

120 – Zach Ward (M) pinned Chase Radpour, 2:57;

126 – Haden Hartline (B) pinned Evan Hughes, 3:29;

132 – Brock Herring (M) pinned Luke Fraley, 1:24;

138 – Austin Atchley (B) pinned Jacob Roberts, 1:01;

145 – Thomas Sell (M) dec. Alex Atchley, 7-5;

152 – Ethan Dendy (M) pinned Connor Duffy, 5:34;

160 – Mason Reiniche (B) pinned Russell Barry, 1:27;

170 – Riley Westlake (B) won by technical fall over Hayden Rowland, 5:37;

182 – Walter Robinson (M) dec. Derek Duncan, 4-3;

195 – Khamari Whimper (B) won by technical fall over Adams Robinson, 5:39;

220 – Tyree Tolliver (B) won by forfeit;

285 – River Henry (M) dec. Riley Bodine, 3-0.

(Email John Hunt at [email protected])

• Upvote 1

Cleveland wrestling and human interest coverage....

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/hicks-triplets-key-to-bradley-mat-success,51410

Hicks triplets key to Bradley mat success

By JOE CANNON Banner Assistant Sports Editor

Posted 1/29/17

Editor’s note: The TSSAA announced the pairings for this week’s State Duals Saturday. Bradley Central will take on Knox Halls in the opening round, while Cleveland High will battle Maryville. 

------------------------

Interesting D2 article Predicting Top Teams...

Missed Tidbit a couple of months ago and obviously dated, but still may have merit...

http://www.southeastwrestling.com/by-the-s/2016/11/22/d2

Pic

WORKING TO PROMOTE WRESTLING IN THE SOUTHEAST

NOVEMBER 22, 2016

A season ago, Father Ryan outlasted Baylor by 9 points and claimed the traditional team title. D2 in Tennessee doesn't have many teams (compared to 3A or 1A-2A and other states), but it does feature some of the very best teams in Tennessee and the Southeast. Pin-TN has yet to post their pre-season rankings for D2 ... and picking the order could be very difficult. Baylor and Father Ryan each return 7 State Placers, the question for those two squads is ... who will step up in the other 7 weight classes, score points, and help their team make a run at the title? McCallie return 6 placers and a state qualifier (but just one returning champ) ... they must get their placers to finish higher on the podium if they are going to take home the title. But don't be surprised if the team to beat is Christian Brothers. CB features 11 returning placers and has the depth to make it very tough for the other top teams. CB is faced with the same challenge as McCallie, just one champ returns ... so a run must begin with getting their placers to finish higher on the podium in 2017. Both Montgomery Bell Academy and Memphis University School had a significant number of placers and will be looking to spoil to party for the top teams.

Last season, Father Ryan and others were in the West Region with Christian Brothers, but according to the TSSAA classification - nearly everyone is in the East/Middle (besides 5 teams). We are not familiar enough with TSSAA and specifically D2 to know if that is the way it is scheduled to be wrestled. It is important to note ... it makes a huge difference. If Christian Brothers is left to dominate the West, they could easily have 14 in the state tournament, while Father Ryan, McCallie, Baylor, and others knock each other off along the way.

(Place at Traditional State - if top 10, # of Returning State Placers, # of Returning State Qualifiers, # of Returning Region Qualifiers). If no, SQ or place then the wrestler was a region qualifier.

East/Middle Region

Battle Ground Academy (1, 3, 3)

Ian McCullough (SQ, SO. @ 106)Tiy Reed (SQ, SO. @ 120)Dolan Eckhart (SO. @ 132)Conner Mitchell (4th, JR. @ 138)Teddy Holloway (SQ, SO. @ 152)Brandon Rowe (SR. @ 160)Jake Maloof (SR. @ 182)

Baylor (7, 0, 0) - Lost State Champions Michael Murphy, Caleb Powell, and Ryan Parker, State Runners-up Jack Reynolds and Cooper Reiniche, and State Placer Andy Atchley

John Pettway (5th, SO. @ 106)Trevor Milling (3rd, JR. @ 120)Austin Atchley (3rd, JR. @ 138)Mason Reiniche (1st, SO. @ 152)Riley Westlake (3rd, JR. @ 160)Khamari Whimper (1st, SR. @ 182)Tyree Toliver (5th, SR. @ 220)

Brentwood Academy (1, 2, 5)

Billy Brooks (SO. @ 120)Boyd Berhow (SO. @ 132)Harrison Smith (JR. @ 152)Thomas Butler (SQ, JR. @ 160)Kyle Sealy (SR. @ 170)Will Taylor (SO. @ 195)Wesley Miller (SQ, SO. @ 220)Airin Spell (5th, JR. @ 285)

Donelson Christian Academy (0, 0, 0)

Ensworth (3, 0, 3)

Gerard Bullock (6th, FR. @ 113)Connor Galvez (5th, SR. @ 120)Victor Ortale (6th, SO. @ 132)Christopher Koehner (SO. @ 160)Taylor Smith (SR. @ 170)nathaniel taylor (SR. @ 195)

Father Ryan (7, 0, 0) - Lost State Champions Trey Chalifoux, Kirby Simpson, Ben Stacey, and Jeremy Darvin, and State Placers Daniel Wesley, Jake Wilson, and Robert Garstin.

James Killian (2nd, JR. @ 106)Christian Simpson (1st, SR. @ 113)Raymond Eason (1st, SR. @ 126)Eli King (1st, SR. @ 138)Andrew Wesnofske (4th, SR. @ 170)George Hooker (2nd, SR. @ 182)Will Shaw (6th, SR. @ 195)

Franklin Road (0, 1, 4) - Lost State Placers Avery Daniels, Drake Mitchell, Will Tansil, Sam Wheeler

Mark Austin (JR. @ 120)Johnathan Stoaxtill-Diggs (SO. @ 126)Drew White (FR. @ 132)Camden Frankfather (FR. @ 152)Tymon Mitchell (SQ, SO. @ 285)

Knoxville Webb (0, 0, 8)

Carter Coughlin (JR. @ 106)Lucas Farr (FR. @ 113)Zack Tieng (SO. @ 126)Devin Badgett (SR. @ 132)Braeden Wirthwein (SR. @ 138)Charlie Morton (JR. @ 145)Eli Davies (FR. @ 170)Evan Davies (JR. @ 182)

McCallie (6, 1, 0) - Lost State Runner-up Brian Phillips and State Placers Trent Maddox, Trent Walliser, Will Patton, Thomas Rowland, and Issac Roberts

Jared McAllister (SQ, SO. @ 120)Brock Herring (2nd, SR. @ 126)Thomas Sell (6th, SO. @ 138)Ethan Dendy (2nd, SR. @ 145)Judah Duhm (1st, SR. @ 160)Walker Davyherty (6th, SR. @ 182)River Henry (3rd, JR. @ 285)

Montgomery Bell Academy (5, 0, 2) - Lost State Runners-up Carter Heckle and D'On Coofer, and State Placers Mark Floyd, Sam Sullivan, and John Kelly.

Rumor had that Bryce Wittman of Christian Brothers had moved to MBA during the off-season. He is not listed on their roster, so we have not included him here.

Joseph Torquine (2nd, JR. @ 113)Gabriel Elkin (2nd, SR. @ 120)John Glover (4th, SR. @ 126)Thomas Bellet (5th, JR. @ 132)Benjamin Dotye (JR. @ 138)Perry Matthews (5th, SR. @ 145)Clay Garstin (JR. @ 160)

Pope John Paul II (0, 0, 4)

Henry McLeod (SR. @ 126)Joseph Cole (JR. @ 145)Malcolm Hogan (SO. @ 195)Colby Neal (SR. @ 220)

St. Andrew's (0, 1, 2)

Bailey McLeon (JR. @ 132)Christian Taylor (SR. @ 152)Wyatt Lindlau (SQ, SR. @ 182)

West Region

Briarcrest Christian (0, 4, 5)

Maverick Rorie (FR. @ 106)Wes Abington (SR. @ 113)Brett Newman (SQ, SR. @ 138)Baylor Harrington (SR. @ 152)Tyler Wood (JR. @ 160)Ian Tiatia (SQ, SR. @ 170)Zachary Towne (SR. @ 182)Josiah Fahhoum (SQ, SR. @ 195)Alex Green (SQ, JR. @ 285)

Christian Brothers (11, 0, 1) - Lost State Placers Joshua Adams and Tanner Tidswell

Robert Griggs (1st, SO. @ 106)Tyler Lubin (5th, JR. @ 113)Connor Rasberry (4th, SR. @ 120)Trevor Brown (2nd, SR. @ 138)Bryce Wittman (4th, JR. @ 145)Drew Nicholson (2nd, SR. @ 152)Tommy Brackett (2nd, JR. @ 160)Eric Hodge (JR. @ 170)Keegan Jones (5th, JR. @ 182)Andrew Sweatt (3rd, SR. @ 195)Grayson Walthall (4th, JR. @ 220)Patrick Healy (6th, JR. @ 285)

Memphis University School (3, 2, 4)

Ramiz Somjee (6th, SR. @ 106)John McBride (SR. @ 113)Grady Hecht (SQ, SR. @ 132)Peter Raves (JR. @ 138)Thomas Wells (6th, SR. @ 145)Jake Knaff (6th, FR. @ 152)Joe Carter (JR. @ 195)Eli Christenburg (SQ, SR. @ 220)Samuel Nelson (SO. @ 285)

St Benedict (2, 0, 1) - Lost State Placers Kevin Pease and Noah Kurtz

Joe Walsh (4th, SO. @ 106)Dalton Kilpatrick (4th, SO. @ 113)Trace Jenkins (SR. @ 120)

St George (1, 2, 3) - Lost State Placers Jake Lindow and Chris Hollis

Graham Gumbert (FR. @ 106)David Fisk (6th, SO. @ 120)Matthew Doucette (SQ, JR. @ 126)Trey Royalty (SQ, JR. @ 138)Gavin Hidaji (SR. @ 145)Jaylen Spears (SO. @ 152)

2017 West Regional results...

DII West Region Duals

@CBHS

Finals

CBHS 40, Father Ryan 24

106 - Paul Killian (Ryan) beat Gehrig Salvaggio (CBHS) 6-1

113 - Christian Simpson (Ryan) pinned Luke Spencer (CB) :37

120 - Jackson Herring (CB) pinned Griffin Hubacker (Ryan) 2:39

126 - Raymond Eason (Ryan) pinned Tyler Lubin (CB) 3:27

132 - Phillip Rogers (Ryan) beat Conner Rasberry (CB) 11-7

138 - Trevor Brown (CB) pinned Joey Vogelpohl (Ryan) 2:46

145 - Eli Hodge (CB) beat Nikita Kouzovik (Ryan) 5-1

152 - Alex Hodge (CB) pinned Houston Crouch (Ryan) 5:30

160 - Patrick Clement (Ryan) beat Luke Leon (CB) 5-3

170 - Drew Nicholson (CB) beat Anthony Hagey (Ryan) 17-7

182 - Andrew Sweatt (CB) pinned Henry Hagey (Ryan) 1:10

195 - Tommy Brackett (CB) beat Andrew Wesnofske (Ryan) 3-1

220 - George Hooker (Ryan) beat Grayson Walthall (CB) 5-0

285 - Patrick Healy (CB) pinned John Hayes (Ryan) 1:34

On the next level...

More Flo updates on one of the seasons biggest duals to date with controversial forum discussion...

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/51226-iowa-takes-out-ohio-state-21-13

Iowa Takes Out Ohio State 21-13

Jan 28, 2017

Nomad

#4 Iowa 21, #3 Ohio State 13

125: #1 Thomas Gilman (IOWA) techs Jose Rodriguez (OHIO ST) 23-8

133: #1 Nathan Tomasello (OHIO ST) decision Phillip Laux (IOWA) 10-3

141: Luke Pletcher (OHIO ST) decision #19 Topher Carton (IOWA) 5-4

149: #3 Brandon Sorensen (IOWA) decision #5 Micah Jordan (OHIO ST) 2-0

157: #2 Michael Kemerer (IOWA) major Jake Ryan (OHIO ST) 14-3

165: Joey Gunther (IOWA) decision Cody Burcher (OHIO ST) 3-0

174: #1 Bo Jordan (OHIO ST) decision #10 Alex Meyer (IOWA) 3-2

184: #4 Sammy Brooks (IOWA) decision #9 Myles Martin (OHIO ST) 5-3

197: #4 Kollin Moore (OHIO ST) major Cash Wilcke (IOWA) 19-7

285: Steven Holloway (IOWA) decision Josh Fox (OHIO ST) 6-1

We are doing live updates for the third superdual in a row for the fourth ranked Hawkeyes. Heading to Iowa City this weekend are top-ranked Nathan Tomasello and the No. 3 Ohio State Buckeyes. This match is on Big Ten Network and on BTN2Go.

Sounds like no Cory Clark tonight for the Hawkeyes. Ohio State enters tonight 8-0 overall, 4-0 in the Big Ten. Host Iowa is 7-2 overall and 3-1 in conference duals.

125 - Jose Rodriguez vs Thomas Gilman

1st period: Couple shots early on from Rodriguez, but Gilman goes low to high single. Gilman gets the foot on his shoulder and finishes just about 40 seconds in on the edge. Caution against Gilman. Quick escape for Rodriguez, but Gilman shoots again. Rodriguez tries a high-flyer, gets put on his back and now trails 6-1. Gilman had an arm bar in, Rodriguez got to his feet and they get stalemated on the edge halfway through the first. Second caution against Gilman. Another escape for Rodriguez with 55 seconds of riding time. Another single on the shoulder and Gilman finishes for an 8-2 lead. Gilman rides out the last 30 seconds of the first.

2nd period: 1:42 of riding time for Gilman, who starts down and is out within 5 seconds. Gilman working a cradle and the two for an 11-2 lead. Rodriguez breaks the lock and is out. Another takedown on the edge gives Gilman a 13-3 lead with a fresh start and 1:49 of riding time. Optional start to give Rodriguez his fourth escape. Gilman is piling up points, 15-4 now. Out of bounds, 20 to go. 2:24 of riding time for the Hawkeye.

3rd period: Rodriguez down with 2:43 of riding time for Gilman. Optional start and Gilman tried coming around for a cow catcher. Low to high single once again after the escape and Gilman is clearly going for a tech. Two more takedowns and he's close to a tech. There it is, 23-8 tech for Gilman, very dominant on his feet. Gilman says something to Rodriguez after the match, 5-0 lead for Iowa.

133 - Nathan Tomasello vs Phillip Laux

1st period: No scoring in the first 30 seconds. Ear to ear and handfighting. Takedown for NaTo and they are out of bounds with 1:53 to go. Escape for LAux after 16 seconds of riding. Shot for Tomasello and he comes back to his feet. Laux doing a good job slowing him down. Lot of handfighting seems to be effective for Laux, still 2-1 as they go out with 27 to go. Laux tries to roll through after a quick NaTo shot and it ends 4-1.

2nd period: Tomasello starts down and gets a caution. Now a caution against Laux. BIG mat return for Laux and they're out of bounds 16 seconds in. Another caution against red, and this Iowa crowd is starting to get into it. 5-1 lead after the escape. Classic hi-c from NaTo to give the Buckeye a 7-1 lead. Ref saying action and we get a stalemate, 34.9 of riding for NaTo. Little lapse there for Tomasello as Laux gets out with 15 to go and just 52 seconds of riding time.

3rd period: Laux goes down trailing 7-2. Escape Laux but RT is over a minute. Not a lot going on, and then a shot from Tomasello. Fought off and we're under a minute now. Circling back to the center and it appears bonus points out of reach for the Buckeyes. Laux controlling a front head. 10-3 final, but no major so Iowa leads 5-3.

141 - Luke Pletcher vs Topher Carton

1st period: No score a minute in, couple leg attacks. Pletcher tries a single, into a front head for Carton. Stalemate, 1:15 to go. Still scoreless as some underhooks are being worked, Pletcher staying low in his stance. Scoreless first.

2nd period: Carton starts down. Carton up to his feet quick and an escape 8 seconds in. Still not a lot of leg attacks from either guy. Minute to go and a nasty ankle pick from Pletcher to give him the lead. Carton now with the reversal though, rebounds quickly from that ankle pick. Out of bounds, 20 to go. Carton still on top. Carton rides out the period to maintain his 3-2 lead and take 29.2 RT into the final period

3rd period: Pletcher starts down, gets to his feet, but back to the mat as they go out of bounds, 1:42 to go. Escape for Pletcher before Carton can get riding time. Body lock situation, Caraton fighting hard but Pletcher trips him to his back. Takedown and they're out, 33 to go. Brands is livid. Extended review here. So its being reviewed, looked pretty clear like a takedown. Granby attempt for Carton and he's out. Big win for the Bucks as Carton was in deep late, had Pletcher heading toward his back, but kept a chestlock. The chestlock was the difference and Pletcher wins 5-4.

149 - Micah Jordan vs Brandon Sorensen

1st period: Marquee match of the night. Sorensen in on a shot after 50 seconds, but a stalemate and the crowd is upset. Looks like these two will be picking their spots tonight. Front head for Sorensen. Still scoreless. Quite a bit of position jockeying, but no points in the first.

2nd period: Caution against green as Sorensen starts down. Iowa out in 10 seconds for a 1-0 lead. Head to head and they clear out once again. Under a minute to go and this pace remains slow. Sorensen wants a front head, Mickey controlling the elbow. No takedowns once again.

3rd period: Jordan starts on bottom. Good spiral ride from Sorensen to get Jordan flat on his stomach. Getting over 30 seconds of riding time and Mickey's head is still on the mat. No back points but a suckback from Sorensen gets him in position for riding time. Sorensen really working on that left elbow of Jordan. Riding time is locked. Jordan finally gets to his feet but the a standing ovation as Sorensen rides out to win 2-0 with an escape and riding time. 8-6 lead for Iowa.

157 - Jake Ryan vs Michael Kemerer

1st period: No score 30 seconds in, couple shots from Kemerer. Overhook whizzer position, transitioned into a double for Kemerer. Iowa turns the corner and goes behind for a 2-0 lead just over a minute in. Out of bounds, 1:35 go and Kem goes optional start. Escape to make it 2-1, but Kemerer picking his spots. Moving Ryan well now, and another takedown for Kemerer. Has used several different transitions this match. Stalemate, 28 to and a 4-1 lead for Iowa. Stalling called on Ryan and Kemerer rides out the period, over 1:30 of RT.

2nd period: Ryan chooses down. Quick escape to make it 4-2 and Kemerer once again in on a shot. He changes direction with the leg to a 6-2 lead. Escape a minute to go, stalling against Ryan and they stalemate a Kemerer shot. 7-3 lead with 48 to go and Tom Ryan wants some clarification. Kemerer fighting in on a shot, after a long fight he gets the takedown for a 9-3 lead and 2:34 of riding heading into the 3rd.

3rd period: Kemerer starts down and Ryan gets a caution. Escape Kemerer and he is in bonus point territory. Takedown to make it 12-3, 13-3 as riding time is about locked. Kemerer working the elbow and now gets an arm bar. One more stalling against Ryan makes it 13-3. Kemerer transitions to a half and has the major locked. Bonus for Iowa gives them a 12-6 lead over Ohio State halfway through this match.

165 - Cody Burcher vs Joey Gunther

1st period: Two-on-one for Gunther to start the match. No score 30 seconds in as Gunther moves him toward the edge, stalemate. Another two on one and Burcher fights it off. Gunther continues to work that two-on-one and almost pushes Burcher out. Another stalemate, still scoreless. Extended scramble on a Gunther shot, but the first period ends scoreless.

2nd period: Starting in neutral, and these two continue to handfight. Stall against Burcher as he gets moved out of bounds. Underhooks for Burcher but Gunther counters with his own hooks. Moving around the mat ear to ear. Burcher finally shoots, but pays for it as Gunther gets a go-behind. Iowa rides out hte period for a 2-0 lead.

3rd period: Gunther starts down and Burcher tried to throw in a merkle. Escape Gunther for a 3-0 lead. Gunther continues to move Burcher around the mat with underhooks. Still on the edge and the match ends. 15-6 lead for Iowa.

174 - Bo Jordan vs Alex Meyer

1st period: BoJo sighting! Slow going here in the first minute. Collar ties now and another scoreless 30 seconds. Scoreless after two minutes as these two handfight and jockey for position. Nothing on the scoreboard after one.

2nd period: Meyer starts down. Classic Bo cross body ride. Getting his hips a little high though and Meyer up to his feet, 27.8 of riding time. Maintaining the slow pace in neutral. So a 1-0 lead for Meyer entering the final period.

3rd period: Bo starts down, mat return for Meyer but Jordan ties the match. 1-1 with 13 seconds of RT in favor of Ohio State. Finally a shot for Jordan, but big hips from Meyer, stalemate. Another shot from Jordan and Meyer continues to feed hips, another stalemate. A third shot for Jordan and Meyer is draped over. Meyer reaching back but gives up the takedown in the last 11 seconds. Jordan gets a stalling on the 5 count. Optional start, escape Meyer. 3-2 win for Bo Jordan.

184 - Myles Martin vs Sam Brooks

1st period: Brooks working upper body stuff early, trying to move Myles' head. Scoreless first minute and Brooks continues working two-on-ones and front head. Another scoreless first period in this match. Lots of pitcher's duals tonight.

2nd period: Martin starts down, gets to his feet and an underhook on the edge means Brooks stays on top. Gets a body lock, drives through a bear hung and has 37 of riding time asa they head back to the center. Tom Ryan wants a review, seems like he wants locked hands. No call of locked hands and Martin gets an escape, 44.2 of RT for Brooks. Keeps Martin on his heels does Brooks as he digs underhooks. Martin clears out and a nice shot, brings the leg up and finishes for 2. Escape Brooks makes it 3-1 lead Martin 24 to go in the period. Brands wants a stalling. Another shot but no score.

3rd period: Brooks down and out to make it 3-2. Nice shot from Brooks and Martin trying to fight it off. Finally finishes to take a 4-3 lead. Brands still calling for stalling and RT is over a minute. Brooks has a cradle and Martin is hanging on. Stalemate 36 to go and Terry is out of his seat once again. Brooks rides him out for a 5-3 win that just about seals the dual for Iowa.

197 - Kollin Moore vs Cash Wilcke

1st period: 18-9 Iowa leads heading into this one. Moore high pace early as per usual, nice elbow control duck to take a 2-0 lead. Escape Wilcke and a stalling against him as well, fans don't like it. Brands protesting, and baack to action. Nice crotch lock from Wilcke, but Moore follows through and gets a 4-1 lead. Another escape as we head into the final minute of the first. Few shots but no scores. 17.6 of riding time heading into the second.

2nd period: Wilcke on bottom. Moore cuts him and wants to keep taking him down. Ankle pick for Moore, fought off by Wilcke, but turns in for another takedown. Wilcke up once again, Moore takes him down once again. 8-4 lead as Moore gets over a minute of RT before Moore cuts him. Moore is relentless, another shot, drives through and finishes to the mat.

3rd period: Moore starts down, 1:29 of riding time and a 10-5 lead. Moore tries to knee slide, up to his feet and out, still has 1:17 of riding time. A single on Wilcke's right leg anad cuts him again. 13-6 lead. Bonus point territory now, final minute of the match. Stalling against Wilcke and another TD for Moore to take a 16-6 lead. Moore cuts him again, needs a six point move here. Another leg attack, 18-7 lead now with RT locked.

285 - Josh Fox vs Steven Holloway

1st period: Ohio State needs a pin to win. Lots of collar ties and Fox also has mask on, haven't seen one of those in a while in a college match. Scoreless first as Holloway doesn't seem terribly concerned with shooting, he is aware of the situation.

2nd period: Holloway starts down. Out of bounds 17 seconds in. Roll for Holloway and gets the reversal, 2-0 lead for Iowa. Actually, the ref blew it dead for stalling against Fox. Iowa coaches wanted locked hands as Holloway finally gets out, but Fox has over a minute of RT. Heading into the 3rd 1-0 Holloway.

3rd period: Fox still needs a pin, and starts neutral. Lots of eye tapping and Fox wants injury. He shakes it off and Tom Ryan is livid. Holloway now gets choice. Fox lets him up. Holloway picks him up for the quick takedown and takes a 4-0 lead. Fox is out with over a minute to go. Holloway in a left side single, the crowd goes nuts as he finishes knowing the losing streak is over and this one is sewed up. Holloway wins 6-1, Iowa wins 21-13.

More From FloWrestling

Tom Ryan On Bo Jordans Health

What We've Learned: 133 Pounds

Don't Be That Coach, Chapter 1

27 COMMENTS

POST COMMENT

Newest | Oldest | Hot Threads

Bromide23 hours ago

Lost all respect for Tom Ryan. He wants to change the process to make duals count in the final standings, and until he gets his way, he won't wrestle his best guys. Way to support our sport Tom. Maybe you should run for congress.

LikeReply

frankwright22 hours ago

@Bromide Did you mean Tom Brands, with the of sitting Clark. I imagine if they felt Clark was 100%, he would have wrestled. I can understand not wanting to send him out if he couldn't be his best against someone he will likely meet once more before Nationals anyway. If you're talking about Snyder, Coach Ryan will wrestle him if he was in the country. I'm betting they had a discussion about the individual importance of the best wrestler in the world wanting to wrestle at the toughest tourney in the world over teching Iowas backup.

LikeReply

brucewei20 hours ago

@frankwright @Bromide Thank you frankwright.

LikeReply

Bromide18 hours ago

@frankwright @Bromide Ryan said before the match that if duals mattered, Snyder would be there. I think that is a poor attitude for a high profile D1 coach.

I did nit hear why Clark didn't wrestle. I know he was in a shoulder brace the last 2 weeks.

LikeReply

Huck Finn1 day ago

Gillman piles up a big score against a struggling freshman. After final buzzer, he's standing over the kid, taunting and trash talking.

Gillman is a loser.

5LikeReply

sethray1 day ago

@Huckfinn Look at the Trackwrestling interview. Looks like the tOSU freshman had some choice words for Gilman in the locker room before the dual. The irony of your post is humorous, ya trash talker.

3LikeReply

the_father_of_lies22 hours ago

I did not know that. Thanks for pointing that out. Gilman is not a guy to talk trash on.

LikeReply

Huck Finn19 hours ago

@the_father_of_lies@sethray Because Gillman was mad about some earlier words in the locker room that makes his post-match taunting acceptable? Childish. I'm understanding of some heat-of-the-moment scrapping. The fact that Gillman planned this display of poor sportsmanship makes it worse.

If it costs a team point when a frustrated wrestler tosses his headgear, taunting ought to be the same penalty.

There's a pattern of cheap behavior from Iowa - or at least there was. I've seen a less chippy & chirpy Hawkeyes this season and last. Maybe Gillman is the last punk standing.

1LikeReply

sethray18 hours ago

@Huckfinn @the_father_of_lies @sethray Take heed to your own words, loser.

LikeReply

lesman21 hours ago

@sethray @Huckfinn the classy thing would have been to let your excellent wrestling do the talking but that's something that won't change, The excellent thing about this match was the ref. clone him over and over again and let him official the Big Tens and the NCAAs. Did an excellent job of keeping the action going and was not influenced by the crowd or the evil twins. I didn't even care about the stalling calls against tOSU because they were and we need that more, against everyone.

1LikeReply

brucewei20 hours ago

@sethray @Huckfinn So a young man was trash talking in the locker room? WWhat next; This is not the first time Gilman has shown his behind on the mat in a national forum and probably won't be the last. The sad part is that the behavior is condoned by the coach. In fact I don't blame the wrestler so much since he is taking his cues as to how to be a good sport and act with integrity from his mentor.

1LikeReply

tfountain13519 hours ago

@brucewei @sethray @Huckfinndo you know tom brands on a personal level? Did he tell you what he does and does not approve of?

1LikeReply

Huck Finn18 hours ago

@tfountain135 @brucewei @sethray @Huckfinn Not necessary to know the coach to see a long pattern of poor sportsmanship by his team. If Brands is not responsible for the behavior of his wrestlers, who or what is accountable? Something in the Iowa drinking water?

As I said, the situation seems to have improved. But the Gillman embarrassment is a step back.

LikeReply

the_father_of_lies17 hours ago

Good sportsmanship doesn't win you matches

LikeReply

the_father_of_lies17 hours ago

Iowa wrestlers are one of the most respected athletes. Try meeting them for a day and your view on them will change. You can't call someone a punk by how they wrestle. My coach would always tell us your opponent could be one of your best friends but when the whistle blows I'm going to kick the crap out that wrestler and win. It's a winning mentality and you get really competitive. As for that comment on saying stuff to a wrestler and throwing your headgear on the ground.... no they aren't the same thing.

LikeReply

Huck Finn15 hours ago

@the_father_of_lies I did not broadly criticize "Iowa athletes." The issue is Gillman's cheap behavior - again. Nobody called Gillman a punk bedause of "how he wrestled.

Taunting is not the same as tossing headgear in frustration, it's a lot worse.

LikeReply

Huck Finn15 hours ago

@the_father_of_lies "Good sportsmanship doesn't win you matches"

brilliant attitude. Coach Brands, is that you?

LikeReply

brucewei10 hours ago

@tfountain135 @brucewei @sethray @Huck Finn Condone and approve have different meanings. I never said approve in my remark so I am not sure where you are coming from. I do not know coach Brands but judging him by his behavior one would have to conclude that his rantings and hissy fits are indicative of a need for attention. If the coach can get away with it then why not the wrestlers? That is what I meant.

LikeReply

docger1 day ago

going into Hwy w Iowa ahead 18 -13, were Snyder available, it would have been possible to have OSU win the dual with a tech (on criteria) or a pin.

2LikeReply

tfountain1351 day ago

@docger were Clark available hwt would be irrelevant. Nato looked off his game tonight for some reason. Point being both teams sat a stud.

3LikeReply

Bromide22 hours ago

@tfountain135 @docger Not even close. Tomasello could certainly beat Clark. Maybe he lost some of his motivation when he learned Clark wasn't wrestling. IT IS A FACT that Snyder would either tech or pin Holloway. Snyder out of the line up is a much bigger deal than Clark being out of the lineup.

1LikeReply

tfountain13519 hours ago

@Bromide @tfountain135 @docger Yea tomasello can beat clark but it is a coin flip. You act like it wouldn't change the dual if clark was in the lineup. come on now..

LikeReply

sethray18 hours ago

@tfountain135 @Bromide It's a Fact? I love these guys. Looks like Snyder is immune to injury or a big move.

Edited by Sommers

Mr Hunt extensively covers the most long-lasting traditional wrestling hotbed in Tennessee going to the Livestock Arena in Franklin...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/2/2/341029/State-Duals-Wrestling-Begins-Friday.aspx

State Duals Wrestling Begins Friday In Franklin

Baylor, McCallie, Bradley, Cleveland, Hixson, Notre Dame Among Local Entries

Thursday, February 2, 2017 - by John Hunt

Pic

Bradley Central's two-time defending state champion Knox Fuller (top) controls Cleveland's Caleb Eachus in their 145-pound bout from January 12th at the Raider Arena. Fuller eventually won the bout by a fall at 4:41, but the Blue Raiders won the match by 30-29 to remain unbeaten for the season. Both teams will be in action at the State Duals this coming weekend in Franklin, Tenn. The Bears will be defending their championship from last year, while Cleveland hopes to return to the top of the Class AAA heap. 

- photo by Dennis Norwood/File Photo

The most fun part of the high school wrestling season is finally here.

All the dual meets are over and those personal battles to maintain a certain weight are almost over as well. And we won’t even mention those long and grueling practices that make weekends like this so worthwhile. 

We’re down to the final three weekends and this first one will feature the annual State Duals tournament at the spacious Williamson County Agricultural Exposition in Franklin.

Competition will include 32 teams in three divisions – 16 in AAA while eight teams will battle in A-AA and Division II.

No doubt the huge arena is pretty much quiet today as tournament workers work to get the eight mats in just the right spots and to make sure everything will unfold as planned on Friday and Saturday.

Action begins Friday afternoon with quarterfinal rounds in Division II and Class A-AA getting things started at 3 p.m. (CST).  The 16 teams in the AAA competition follow with first-round matches at 5.

All of those first round winners will then wrestle another match at 7 while the losers wait until first thing Saturday morning for consolation rounds to begin.

Defending champions include Red Bank in A-AA, Bradley Central in AAA and Father Ryan in D-II.  The Lions didn’t qualify this year, but the Bears and Purple Irish are sure to be in the thick of things before the championship hardware is distributed Saturday night.

Hixson and Notre Dame are Chattanooga’s entries in the A-AA field while Bradley and Cleveland will lead the way in AAA.  McCallie and Baylor are the D-II entries.

HIXSON: The Wildcats didn’t qualify last year, but were the runner-up in 2015 after four straight years of finishing third.  Hixson won back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010 after finishing second in 2008.

Hixson might just have the toughest first-round match of all as they face Greeneville.  The Wildcats appear to be peaking at the right time and they’re hoping to surprise a few folks before it’s over.

“I think we’re ready to roll, but we just want to stay focused on one point at a time and one match at a time,†said veteran coach Garrick Hall, his team 17-3 at this point.

“We went to Greeneville’s tournament this year and I’m not sure if that helped us or not, but I’m ready to go and hope my kids are ready too.  The majority of my kids have been to this tournament and hopefully, they won’t be intimidated by the surroundings. 

“We just have to make sure our head is screwed on right and play the cards we’re dealt.  No question we’ll have to win some big matches and we have to perform to our ability, but this is what we live for.  I just hope we’ll be wrestling on Saturday night,†Hall said during a phone conversation Wednesday afternoon.

While Hixson faces 25-4 Greeneville in its first match, the winner will face the Greenbrier-Alcoa winner.

NOTRE DAME: The Fighting Irish had a tough run here last year as they lost to Red Bank and Greeneville in their first two matches.

The Irish won three straight titles in 2008-2010 and finished runner-up to Hixson in 2009.  Notre Dame also enters the tournament at 17-3, but everyone knows this team is stronger and more talented from top to bottom than last year.

“We’re excited about the possibilities as we’re always glad to get to the post-season,†said second-year head coach Rocco Mansueto on Wednesday.

“I don’t know much about Stratford, but I know we’re going with some intent.  We have a relatively-young team with seven of our 13 individuals either first or second year wrestlers. Most of our second-year guys have doubled their win totals from last year and a lot of our first-year guys have winning records, so we’re excited.

“If we wrestle hard, we’ll be okay.  We’ve turned on the switch every match and I have no doubt the effort will be there again on Friday.  There seems to be a bit more parity this year, so hopefully we’ll do better,†Mansueto added.

The winner of the Notre Dame-Stratford match will face the Pigeon Forge-Page winner Friday evening.

CLEVELAND: The Blue Raiders are the only unbeaten team competing this weekend and are looking to get back on the winning track after not qualifying last year.  They won the previous three Duals titles and hope to make it four out of the last five.

They won their own Cleveland Duals in early December by dominating Baylor and Father Ryan before posting a 34-33 win over Bradley in the championship match.  They proved it wasn’t a fluke after Cleveland prevailed 30-29 in their dual meet with the Bears in mid-January.

Most folks are anticipating a third Cleveland-Bradley match in the championship Saturday night.

“We’re excited about the upcoming weekend,†said first-year Cleveland head coach Josh Bosken.

“This is the most healthy and most focused we’ve been all season.  We have a great group of kids and we’re ready to compete.  We just want to have fun, score a lot of points and enjoy the weekend.  Win or lose, we just want to enjoy the experience as it’s the last time we’ll get to compete as a dual-meet team and we’re hoping to send out our seniors on a positive note.

“It’s been a great ride this season and we just want the Cleveland fans to be proud of our effort.  We’ve done well here in recent years and hope to do well this weekend,†Bosken added.

Cleveland faces 22-6 Maryville in its first match Friday afternoon and would meet the Summit-Gibbs winner in the quarterfinals.  Summit is coached by former Cleveland standout Pete Miller, son of legendary coach Al Miller.

BRADLEY: Coach Ben Smith tries to stay cool, calm and collected, but those who know the likable guy know that just isn’t always possible.

Nobody hurt any more than Smith when his team lost those two heartbreakers to Cleveland earlier in the season, but he’s also not crying over spilled milk.  He knows from his own experience after being part of so many championship teams what it takes to claim the top prize and he’s confident his team has the tools to defend its title.

The Bears have won 11 Duals titles since 1998 and were either the champions or runner-up for ever year since 1998 until 2013 when Cleveland won its first of three titles.

Bradley will face Knoxville Halls in Friday’s first match and would face the Heritage-Houston winner with a win.

“We’re getting there.  We’re just staying below the radar, keeping our mouths shut and continuing to work hard.  It’s really nerve-wracking with all the stuff you can’t control, but we’re just zeroing in on what we do have control over.  If we’re not excited by now, we never will be,†Smith said earlier this week.

And what about the Red Devils in the first round?

“They came to our tournament and I know they’re a tough team.  It won’t be an easy first-round match, but we’re just focusing on what we need to do to be ready for them.

“Cleveland is the team to beat.  We’re the defending champions, but Cleveland has earned that top spot and they’re number one.  We both have an advantage in that we’ve been in big matches all year and we have experience at this tournament.  It’s what every team aspires for and that’s to wrestle well in February.

“We definitely have a veteran team going, but at least five have never competed in this tournament before.  We just need to get bonus points where possible and to win all the close ones.  The sleepers in our lineup have to step up and perform, but this is just a great opportunity for them to make a name for themselves,†Smith concluded.

BAYLOR: The Red Raiders are the top-seed from the Middle-East Region after beating MBA, Father Ryan and McCallie in dual meets.  Baylor, like Bradley, has won a bunch of Duals titles with nine total.  Father Ryan beat Baylor in the finals last year after the Red Raiders had prevailed in 2014 and 2015.

But this is the year when this division is wide open as any of five teams have the ability to take the biggest prize.

Baylor, now 10-2 after a five-point win over McCallie last Saturday, will face Memphis University School in Friday’s opening round.  A win in that match would advance them to a fight with the MBA-Father Ryan winner.

“It should be a really fun weekend,†said Baylor coach Ben Nelson Wednesday afternoon.

“It should be a close race as any of five teams could come out on top.  We’ll have to beat some really good teams if we expect to reach our goal of winning the state duals, but we’ll take ‘em as they come.

“In matches this close, bonus points will be key in the matches we win and limiting them in the ones we lose will be critical.  I’ve never known this division to be so even as far as talent is concerned,†Nelson added.

McCALLIE: The Blue Tornado last won a state duals title in 2006 and another in 2003, but finished fourth last year after taking third in 2015.  McCallie could be the dark horse this year with a host of outstanding individuals leading the way.

Senior Ethan Dendy is the only unbeaten McCallie wrestler at 22-0 while 170-pound Juday Duhm is 24-1 with the only loss being to Baylor’s Khamari Whimper earlier in the season.  Duhm had minor knee surgery a couple of weeks back and didn’t wrestle against Baylor last weekend, but McCallie coach Mike Newman is optimistic that he’ll be cleared and ready to go on Friday.

“We always look forward to this tournament and it should be really interesting this weekend,†Newman said Wednesday.

“It’s so even, I won’t be surprised at who wins, but the team that has the best weekend will win.  We’ve had a great week of practice so far.  We face Brentwood Academy in our first match and really don’t know much about them.

“We feel like we have as good a shot as anyone, but we just have to be consistent and wrestle the best we can.  It’s never been this close before, so it’s all about who shows up ready to perform,†he explained.

While Dendy is unbeaten and Duhm has only one loss, three others just have two defeats, including senior Brock Herring at 21-2, junior River Henry at 26-2 and Alex Whitworth, a promising eighth-grader who is 20-2.

All the championship matches will be contested Saturday night with a 7 p.m. start (CST).

(email John Hunt at [email protected])

Mr Hunt's extensive Coverage of Tennessee's Hotest of Hotbeds heading to the Livestock Arena...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/2/2/341029/State-Duals-Wrestling-Begins-Friday.aspx

State Duals Wrestling Begins Friday In Franklin

Baylor, McCallie, Bradley, Cleveland, Hixson, Notre Dame Among Local Entries

Thursday, February 2, 2017 - by John Hunt

Pic

Bradley Central's two-time defending state champion Knox Fuller (top) controls Cleveland's Caleb Eachus in their 145-pound bout from January 12th at the Raider Arena. Fuller eventually won the bout by a fall at 4:41, but the Blue Raiders won the match by 30-29 to remain unbeaten for the season. Both teams will be in action at the State Duals this coming weekend in Franklin, Tenn. The Bears will be defending their championship from last year, while Cleveland hopes to return to the top of the Class AAA heap.

- photo by Dennis Norwood/File Photo

The most fun part of the high school wrestling season is finally here.

All the dual meets are over and those personal battles to maintain a certain weight are almost over as well. And we won’t even mention those long and grueling practices that make weekends like this so worthwhile.

We’re down to the final three weekends and this first one will feature the annual State Duals tournament at the spacious Williamson County Agricultural Exposition in Franklin.

Competition will include 32 teams in three divisions – 16 in AAA while eight teams will battle in A-AA and Division II.

No doubt the huge arena is pretty much quiet today as tournament workers work to get the eight mats in just the right spots and to make sure everything will unfold as planned on Friday and Saturday.

Action begins Friday afternoon with quarterfinal rounds in Division II and Class A-AA getting things started at 3 p.m. (CST). The 16 teams in the AAA competition follow with first-round matches at 5.

All of those first round winners will then wrestle another match at 7 while the losers wait until first thing Saturday morning for consolation rounds to begin.

Defending champions include Red Bank in A-AA, Bradley Central in AAA and Father Ryan in D-II. The Lions didn’t qualify this year, but the Bears and Purple Irish are sure to be in the thick of things before the championship hardware is distributed Saturday night.

Hixson and Notre Dame are Chattanooga’s entries in the A-AA field while Bradley and Cleveland will lead the way in AAA. McCallie and Baylor are the D-II entries.

HIXSON: The Wildcats didn’t qualify last year, but were the runner-up in 2015 after four straight years of finishing third. Hixson won back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010 after finishing second in 2008.

Hixson might just have the toughest first-round match of all as they face Greeneville. The Wildcats appear to be peaking at the right time and they’re hoping to surprise a few folks before it’s over.

“I think we’re ready to roll, but we just want to stay focused on one point at a time and one match at a time,†said veteran coach Garrick Hall, his team 17-3 at this point.

“We went to Greeneville’s tournament this year and I’m not sure if that helped us or not, but I’m ready to go and hope my kids are ready too. The majority of my kids have been to this tournament and hopefully, they won’t be intimidated by the surroundings.

“We just have to make sure our head is screwed on right and play the cards we’re dealt. No question we’ll have to win some big matches and we have to perform to our ability, but this is what we live for. I just hope we’ll be wrestling on Saturday night,†Hall said during a phone conversation Wednesday afternoon.

While Hixson faces 25-4 Greeneville in its first match, the winner will face the Greenbrier-Alcoa winner.

NOTRE DAME: The Fighting Irish had a tough run here last year as they lost to Red Bank and Greeneville in their first two matches.

The Irish won three straight titles in 2008-2010 and finished runner-up to Hixson in 2009. Notre Dame also enters the tournament at 17-3, but everyone knows this team is stronger and more talented from top to bottom than last year.

“We’re excited about the possibilities as we’re always glad to get to the post-season,†said second-year head coach Rocco Mansueto on Wednesday.

“I don’t know much about Stratford, but I know we’re going with some intent. We have a relatively-young team with seven of our 13 individuals either first or second year wrestlers. Most of our second-year guys have doubled their win totals from last year and a lot of our first-year guys have winning records, so we’re excited.

“If we wrestle hard, we’ll be okay. We’ve turned on the switch every match and I have no doubt the effort will be there again on Friday. There seems to be a bit more parity this year, so hopefully we’ll do better,†Mansueto added.

The winner of the Notre Dame-Stratford match will face the Pigeon Forge-Page winner Friday evening.

CLEVELAND: The Blue Raiders are the only unbeaten team competing this weekend and are looking to get back on the winning track after not qualifying last year. They won the previous three Duals titles and hope to make it four out of the last five.

They won their own Cleveland Duals in early December by dominating Baylor and Father Ryan before posting a 34-33 win over Bradley in the championship match. They proved it wasn’t a fluke after Cleveland prevailed 30-29 in their dual meet with the Bears in mid-January.

Most folks are anticipating a third Cleveland-Bradley match in the championship Saturday night.

“We’re excited about the upcoming weekend,†said first-year Cleveland head coach Josh Bosken.

“This is the most healthy and most focused we’ve been all season. We have a great group of kids and we’re ready to compete. We just want to have fun, score a lot of points and enjoy the weekend. Win or lose, we just want to enjoy the experience as it’s the last time we’ll get to compete as a dual-meet team and we’re hoping to send out our seniors on a positive note.

“It’s been a great ride this season and we just want the Cleveland fans to be proud of our effort. We’ve done well here in recent years and hope to do well this weekend,†Bosken added.

Cleveland faces 22-6 Maryville in its first match Friday afternoon and would meet the Summit-Gibbs winner in the quarterfinals. Summit is coached by former Cleveland standout Pete Miller, son of legendary coach Al Miller.

BRADLEY: Coach Ben Smith tries to stay cool, calm and collected, but those who know the likable guy know that just isn’t always possible.

Nobody hurt any more than Smith when his team lost those two heartbreakers to Cleveland earlier in the season, but he’s also not crying over spilled milk. He knows from his own experience after being part of so many championship teams what it takes to claim the top prize and he’s confident his team has the tools to defend its title.

The Bears have won 11 Duals titles since 1998 and were either the champions or runner-up for ever year since 1998 until 2013 when Cleveland won its first of three titles.

Bradley will face Knoxville Halls in Friday’s first match and would face the Heritage-Houston winner with a win.

“We’re getting there. We’re just staying below the radar, keeping our mouths shut and continuing to work hard. It’s really nerve-wracking with all the stuff you can’t control, but we’re just zeroing in on what we do have control over. If we’re not excited by now, we never will be,†Smith said earlier this week.

And what about the Red Devils in the first round?

“They came to our tournament and I know they’re a tough team. It won’t be an easy first-round match, but we’re just focusing on what we need to do to be ready for them.

“Cleveland is the team to beat. We’re the defending champions, but Cleveland has earned that top spot and they’re number one. We both have an advantage in that we’ve been in big matches all year and we have experience at this tournament. It’s what every team aspires for and that’s to wrestle well in February.

“We definitely have a veteran team going, but at least five have never competed in this tournament before. We just need to get bonus points where possible and to win all the close ones. The sleepers in our lineup have to step up and perform, but this is just a great opportunity for them to make a name for themselves,†Smith concluded.

BAYLOR: The Red Raiders are the top-seed from the Middle-East Region after beating MBA, Father Ryan and McCallie in dual meets. Baylor, like Bradley, has won a bunch of Duals titles with nine total. Father Ryan beat Baylor in the finals last year after the Red Raiders had prevailed in 2014 and 2015.

But this is the year when this division is wide open as any of five teams have the ability to take the biggest prize.

Baylor, now 10-2 after a five-point win over McCallie last Saturday, will face Memphis University School in Friday’s opening round. A win in that match would advance them to a fight with the MBA-Father Ryan winner.

“It should be a really fun weekend,†said Baylor coach Ben Nelson Wednesday afternoon.

“It should be a close race as any of five teams could come out on top. We’ll have to beat some really good teams if we expect to reach our goal of winning the state duals, but we’ll take ‘em as they come.

“In matches this close, bonus points will be key in the matches we win and limiting them in the ones we lose will be critical. I’ve never known this division to be so even as far as talent is concerned,†Nelson added.

McCALLIE: The Blue Tornado last won a state duals title in 2006 and another in 2003, but finished fourth last year after taking third in 2015. McCallie could be the dark horse this year with a host of outstanding individuals leading the way.

Senior Ethan Dendy is the only unbeaten McCallie wrestler at 22-0 while 170-pound Juday Duhm is 24-1 with the only loss being to Baylor’s Khamari Whimper earlier in the season. Duhm had minor knee surgery a couple of weeks back and didn’t wrestle against Baylor last weekend, but McCallie coach Mike Newman is optimistic that he’ll be cleared and ready to go on Friday.

“We always look forward to this tournament and it should be really interesting this weekend,†Newman said Wednesday.

“It’s so even, I won’t be surprised at who wins, but the team that has the best weekend will win. We’ve had a great week of practice so far. We face Brentwood Academy in our first match and really don’t know much about them.

“We feel like we have as good a shot as anyone, but we just have to be consistent and wrestle the best we can. It’s never been this close before, so it’s all about who shows up ready to perform,†he explained.

While Dendy is unbeaten and Duhm has only one loss, three others just have two defeats, including senior Brock Herring at 21-2, junior River Henry at 26-2 and Alex Whitworth, a promising eighth-grader who is 20-2.

All the championship matches will be contested Saturday night with a 7 p.m. start (CST).

---------------------------------------

More Middle TN Press...

Greenbrier!!

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/02/01/greenbrier-wrestling-hopes-state-win/97279018/

Dean Fox | For the USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee11:05 a.m. CT Feb. 1, 2017

When Josh Reynolds started the wrestling program at Greenbrier Middle School, not a lot of people knew exactly what to think.

“I didn’t know any better,†senior Noah Quilty remembers about his eighth-grade experience.

“It was a shot in the dark,†adds classmate Noah Walton.

Four years later, that shot in the dark has given way to another shot at history.

Greenbrier’s wrestling team competes in the Class A-AA state duals for the third straight year beginning Friday at the Williamson County Ag Expo in Franklin.

The Bobcats wrestle Alcoa at 3 p.m. A semifinal match against either Greeneville or Hixson would be at 7.

Walton and Quilty are two of the seven seniors in the Bobcats’ starting lineup. They were part of a unit that has had made it to the state duals the last two years, but figures to come with a stronger attitude this time around.

“Our sophomore year, we were just happy to be there,†Quilty said, “and that mentality carried over to our junior year. But this year, we’re a team to watch.â€

Pic

One of Greenbrier’s wrestling coaches tries to give last-minute instruction to a player during a ...more

Ken Herndon / For the Times

Reynolds is excited his seniors will get another chance.

“This the best lineup we’ve had here,†Reynolds said. “We’ve had some great wrestlers come through here, but from top to bottom, our lineup is as good as we’ve had.

“Don’t know what we’ll do at the state tournament — you always hope for the best — but this is a great opportunity.â€

Reynolds was an assistant coach for three years before starting the middle school program.

National signing day hits Dickson County area

The Bobcats realized that in order to have the success they wanted, they’d have to start ingraining a love of wrestling earlier.

“We just came in just tried to sell the sport to the kids and get a lot of the football kids involved,†Reynolds said, “and we noticed we couldn’t compete when we just started teaching them at the high school level.

Greenbrier wrestlers will compete for a chance at history this Friday.

Ken Herndon/For the Times

“So that’s why we wanted to get a middle-school program going. You need a good feeder program: at minimum, a good middle school program and if you can go further, a good youth program.â€

It has paid off. The Bobcats rolled through White House and Cheatham County in the region — 120-pounder Nathan Ford even had a pin in nine seconds — and is now three wins away from a state crown.

“Being our senior year,†senior Cole Matherly said, “it’s one last chance to win it all or get close.â€

---------------------

Greg Foreman, The PF Mastermind, says...

"This is the first time since the A/AA state was established that you have eight teams capable of winning," he said. "We could win it all or we could come up short and not place."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2017/feb/03/tennessees-aawrestling-duals-very-balanced/410991/

Tennessee's A/AA wrestling duals very balanced

February 3rd, 2017by Ward Gossettin Sports - PrepsRead Time: 2 mins.

Bradley Central's T.J. hicks hangs on to Cleveland wrestler Garrett Bowers's leg during the 113 lb bout of their prep wrestling meet at Cleveland High School on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2017, in Cleveland, Tenn.

Photo by Doug Strickland /Times Free Press.

Today’s openers (times EST)

(All winning teams will wrestle twice)

Class A/AA

Mat 2: Notre Dame (17-3) vs. Stratford, 4

Mat 3: Hixson (17-3) vs. Greeneville, 4

Division II-AA

Mat 5: Baylor (10-2) vs. Memphis Univ. School, 4

Mat 7: McCallie (12-6) vs. Brentwood Academy, 4

Class AAA

Mat 4: Bradley Central (19-2) vs. Knoxville Halls, 6

Mat 6: Cleveland (19-0) vs. Maryville, 6

More Info

Chattanooga-area state duals championships

Bradley Central 14, Baylor 9, Cleveland 6, McCallie 5, Soddy-Daisy 4, Central 3, Notre Dame 3, Hixson 2, East Ridge 1, Red Bank 1

Domination by the Chattanooga area in Tennessee's wrestling duals championships, especially in the A/AA classification, has dwindled, and for teams elsewhere qualifying is no longer enough.

Class A/AA competitors may still respect the Chattanooga area's tradition-rich wrestling prowess but they no longer fear it, and that has led to a free-for-all championship chase this weekend.

The state's duals championships for A/AA, Class AAA and Division II begin this afternoon at Franklin's Williamson County Agricultural Expo.

"The tournament this weekend is one of the deepest in recent memory. There are several teams that have a legitimate shot at leaving with a state championship," said Greeneville coach Randy Shelton, whose team enters the event as the A/AA front-runner.

Former champion Hixson, another of the favorites, will face Greeneville in the opening round.

"The majority of teams are pretty even," Hixson coach Garrick Hall said.

Greg Foreman, whose Pigeon Forge teams won titles in 2014 and 2015, voiced an even stronger opinion.

"This is the first time since the A/AA state was established that you have eight teams capable of winning," he said. "We could win it all or we could come up short and not place."

Notre Dame joins Hixson, Greeneville, Pigeon Forge, Alcoa, Page, Stratford and Greenbriar.

Baylor and McCallie are in the Division II field, and Cleveland and Bradley Central are favorites in the AAA tournament.

Seven teams have won Tennessee's A/AA duals wrestling championship over the past 13 seasons with Red Bank taking last year's crown. Hixson didn't qualify last year but has been a finalist four times with two titles, most recently in 2010. Notre Dame has a rich tradition also, winning the 2007-2009 titles.

"Hixson and Notre Dame are so improved since last year," said Alcoa coach Brian Gossett. "Hixson has good balance throughout the lineup. I look for them to be a tough out. Hixson always wrestles a tough, physical style. Notre Dame overwhelms you in their lower weights. They have filled some holes in their lineup and they have some good athletes in the upper weights."

Most AAA followers are anticipating a Cleveland/Bradley Central rematch for the championship.

"This is where every team in Tennessee wants to end up on the first weekend in February," Halls coach Shannon Sayne said.

Sayne's team opens against Bradley, the defending champion.

"The draw is what it is. If you are going to win a state title in Tennessee you are going to have to beat Bradley, Cleveland or Soddy(-Daisy)," Sayne said. "That's just the way it is. We are just lucky enough to get first crack at them."

Cleveland opens against Maryville, which is looking to place for the first time since 1997.

Championship matches in each division are scheduled to start at 8 p.m. EST Saturday.

Contact Ward Gossett at [email protected] or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett.

More Articles

Read next article

Pic

Around the Region: McCallie faces nation's No. 2 prep team tonight

Chatt/No GA Area coverage with Georgia wrestling sectionals...

The GHSA traditional wrestling state championships field will be set Saturday in the sectional round. Half of each sectional field will advance to next week's tournament in Macon, meaning competitors must win once before losing twice this weekend.

Dalton will have 10 wrestlers in the 6A event at Lanier as coach Michael Keefe's team tries to rekindle past Catamounts glory. Multi-time state champion Gilmer has 12 in the AAAA sectionals at Woodward Academy, and so does Northwest Whitfield with 106-pounder Griffin Hughes added as an alternate. Ridgeland has 11 and Heritage eight.

Sonoraville has 10 competitors in the AAA sectional at Bremen, including 2006 state champions Tyler Hunt and Trevor Burdick. Coahulla Creek and Ringgold will take six each. Chattooga has a surprising nine in the AA tournament at Rockmart, while Trion has 12 and Gordon Lee seven in the Class A event at Darlington.

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

Bradley Co Caravan...

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/jones-foundation-provides-the-rides-for-bradley-cleveland-wrestlers,51738

Pic

Jones Foundation provides the rides for Bradley, Cleveland wrestlers

Pic

THE BRADLEY CENTRAL BEARS, above, and Cleveland Blue Raiders, below, take a moment before boarding buses for Franklin and the Tennessee State Duals Wrestling Championships.

CONTRIBUTED PHOTOS

Posted Friday, February 3, 2017 11:38 am

By BRIAN GRAVES Banner Staff Writer

There is no questioning the success of the two area wrestling programs.

However, their modes of transportation are a different subject.

Both the Cleveland High and Bradley Central High School teams have experienced some problems with their rides to the state championship over the past few years.

That problem was solved this week, when the Jones Foundation and Check Into Cash provided luxury motor coaches for both teams to ride to their championship rounds.

“Wrestling and athletics teach leadership and strong character, and Check Into Cash is pleased to support these two greats teams as well as Walker Valley,†said Steve Scoggins, president of Check Into Cash.

"Cleveland is Check Into Cash's hometown, and we have a long history of supporting young athletes in all sports, including football, baseball and cheerleading.â€

Scoggins said athletics have proven to greatly benefit students by helping build self-esteem and enhancing physical fitness while promoting social interaction, teamwork, and community pride.

“This is going to be a tremendous help and a tremendous relief,†said BCHS coach Ben Smith. “The past three years there or on the way back we had numerous bus issues. So you always try to build extra time to factor in mechanical issues, flat tire etc.â€

“The past few times to Franklin, we had fuel-filter issues twice, as well as other problems. As a coach, this bus donation is great because we have the peace of mind of traveling with the most precious cargo there is – children. This is already the most stressful time of year and by taking one thing off a coaches shoulder (transportation) it really makes a big difference.â€

“This makes everything convenient for us. It allows all of us to stay together,†said Cleveland coach Josh Bosken. “Typically we only take the varsity kids, but Allan donated a bus large enough to take the majority of our team. Sometimes the non-varsity athletes are not in the spotlight as much as varsity. Now we say can say a thank you to them by allowing them to come with us, thanks to Allan Jones and Check Into Cash.â€

“Safety helps the coaches and the bus makes everything safer because we are all together. We know where all the kids are at all the time. And as another bonus the kids can ride in style and comfort,†Bosken added. “Allan has always been a great supporter of wrestling, and he has a real passion for the sport and what it does to build character in young athletes.â€

“Unlike football, basketball and baseball, wrestling is an individual achievement sport. Two wrestlers take to the mat and only one walks off the victor,†said Jones. “It takes determination, discipline and character to come out ahead in wrestling. I have seen it first hand as a driving force in building character and discipline in my former classmates who are doctors, entrepreneurs and government leaders today.â€

The Comeback Kids of Ryan traveling some 20 minutes to defend...

Our State's #1 Pub Covering the #1 Sport in the World...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/02/02/father-ryan-set-defend-dii-duals-title/97391238/

Father Ryan set to defend DII duals title

Tom Kreager | USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee6:47 p.m. CT Feb. 2, 2017

Father Ryan will see a familiar face on Friday when the Irish set to defend their Division II duals wrestling state championship.

The Irish open the TSSAA's wrestling team championships against rival Montgomery Bell Academy at 3 p.m. Friday at the Williamson County Ag Expo Center.

They are two of 13 Nashville-area schools that qualified for the state team tournament among Class A/AA, Class AAA and Division II.

The Father Ryan-MBA opening-round match is one of three in the first round featuring two Nashville-area teams.

Blackman faces Independence at 5 p.m. in a Class AAA matchup. Tullahoma wrestles Summit in the other all-local showdown. The Class AAA state tournament also features defending state champion Bradley Central.

The double elimination tournament concludes with Saturday's finals set for 7 p.m.

Reach Tom Kreager at [email protected] or 615-259-8089 and on Twitter @Kreager.

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

Not bad pops...

The Comeback Kids of Ryan traveling some 20 minutes to defend...

Our State's #1 Pub Covering the #1 Sport in the World...[

You always say this Father Ryan February team not even resembles the early season team... Something about peaking and maybe about radishes I hear vs The Mighty Big Blue

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah.... It's what I do....

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/02/03/father-ryan-returns-sixth-straight-wrestling-duals-final/97391476/

Pic

Independence's Isaiah Demello pins Blackman's Dylan Heath during the 2017 TSSAA Dual Championships Friday... more

George Walker IV / The Tennessean

HIGH-SCHOOL

Father Ryan returns to sixth straight wrestling duals finals

Tom Kreager | USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee

Updated 3 hours ago

Share MediaShow Caption

FRANKLIN — Father Ryan's wrestlers were offered Big Red chewing gum all week as a reminder of the task ahead of them.

Father Ryan's George Hooker puts MBA's Wyeth Patton to the mat during the 2017 TSSAA Dual ...more

They never bit on the offer.

Father Ryan advanced to its sixth straight Division II team duals championship with a 37-28 win over Baylor in the semifinals. The Irish beat rival Montgomery Bell Academy 39-33 in the quarterfinals.

Father Ryan faces McCallie in the DII final on Saturday.

"We've had Big Red gum in the room all week because we knew we had those two big red schools up first," said Father Ryan 113-pounder Christian Simpson. "We had them everywhere.

"We had Big Red gum handed out to everyone. But no one has taken a single piece. We ripped it in half and threw it aside."

MBA's nickname is the Big Red while Baylor's team colors are red and white.

Father Ryan's Anthony Hagey stands up against MBA's Clay Garstin during the 2017 TSSAA Dual ...more

Father Ryan's win over Baylor avenged a five-point loss two weeks ago. It was also a rematch of Father Ryan's 36-21 win in last year's final. That marks the Irish's lone duals title over their six-year run.

Father Ryan was the lone Nashville area team to remain in the winners bracket on the first day.

Independence, Summit and Wilson Central all lost their second-round winners bracket matches in Class AAA. Wilson Central's 32-31 loss to Science Hill came on the last weight class when the Hilltoppers' Isaiah Ryans beat Matthew Hester by technical fall.

Greenbrier, Page and Stratford all lost their Class A/AA first-round matches.

Father Ryan has eight duals state titles, but the Irish haven't strung consecutive titles together since winning three straight from 1998-2000.

"We've only won it once (in the past six years)," Father Ryan coach Pat Simpson said. "Back-to-back, we haven't had many of those. We'll be ready."

Reach Tom Kreager at 615-259-8089 and [email protected] or on Twitter @Kreager.

---------------------------

Grinder says iron sharpens iron and put some of that philosophy to use in the last day...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/02/03/blackman-wrestling-falls-independence-state-duals/97444428/

Blackman wrestling falls to Independence at state duals

Pic

Blackman's Jamil Hughes wrestles Independence's Christopher Keller during the 2017 TSSAA Dual Championships Friday Feb. ...more

Tom Kreager | USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee9:35 p.m. CT Feb. 3, 2017

FRANKLIN â€” Ronnie Bray stood on the edge of the mat, looking up at the ceiling of the Williamson County Ag Expo Center on Friday night.

The Blackman wrestling coach paused for a moment before talking about the Blaze's 51-21 loss to Williamson County foe Independence in the opening round of the TSSAA's Class AAA state wrestling duals.

"They just took it to us," Bray said.

The loss dropped Blackman into the losers bracket of the double-elimination tournament. The Blaze wrestle Mt. Juliet, a 38-35 loser to Tennessee High, in an elimination bout at 9 a.m. Saturday. The Blaze can finish no higher than third, but would have to win five straight duals to do it.

Blackman defeated Independence earlier this season in similar dominating fashion. The Blaze won 51-19 on Dec. 10 at the Tullahoma Duals.

"Last time we came out and we were ready to wrestle, said Blackman 170-pounder Matthew Sells, who recently committed to Cumberland University. "(Friday) everyone didn't look like the last time they wrestled them.

"I knew it was going to be another tough match. I didn't know it was going to be that bad."

Sells, who is undefeated for the season, won his match in dominating fashion. He pinned Dylan Gellinger in 49 seconds.

In case anyone missed it up north...

32-12 PENN STATE ROLLS OVER OHIO STATE

Anther update on some neighbors to our north, No Real Surprises here...

KENTUCKY HS

Union County, St. X 1-2 in wrestling rankings

Mike Weaver/Special to The Courier-Journal

Jason Frakes | @KYHighs

4:04 p.m. ET Feb. 2, 2017

Defending state champion Union County kept the No. 1 spot in the KentuckyWrestling.com state rankings released Thursday.

Union County beat No. 2 St. Xavier 46-19 in the championship match of the State Duals held at Lindsey Wilson College.

Here are the complete rankings, including the No. 1 wrestler in each weight class:

Continue reading below

* Top 25 teams: 1. Union County, 2. St. Xavier, 3. Walton-Verona, 4. Johnson Central, 5. Woodford County, 6. Simon Kenton, 7. Madison Central, 8. Wayne County, 9. John Hardin, 10. Larue County, 11. Meade County, 12. Christian County, 13. Apollo, 14. Oldham County, 15. Scott, 16. Campbell County, 17. Male, 18. Calloway County, 19. Dixie Heights, 20. North Oldham, 21. Fern Creek, 22. Cooper, 23. North Hardin, 24. Fort Campbell, 25. Jeffersontown.

* No. 1 individuals: 106 pounds – Zeke Escalera (Union County); 112 – Cagen Wallace (Wayne County); 120 – Brady Wells (Campbell County); 126 – Ryan Moore (Walton-Verona); 132 – Saul Ervin (Union County); 138 – Bryce Sheffer (Union County); 145 – Joey Roberts (Woodford County); 152 - Zane Brown (Male); 160 – Mason Smith (Walton-Verona); 170 – Casey Cornett (Simon Kenton); 182 – Max Andreoni (Woodford County); 195 – Matt Steven (LaRue County); 220 – Colby Culver (Calloway County); 285 – Landin Jones (North Oldham).

Herald Courier - Gannett 2017

Edited by Sommers

Bradley Proves to be one of the Strongest of Dual teams in the southeast today (Ky & other states included)

---------------------------------------

Repeats at all Three Divisions with Extremely Happy & Emotional Fans from different areas of Tennessee...

Pigeon Forge loved the opportunity to rise above Five formidable Challengers he had anticipated says Coach Foreman...

This wasn't luck, no leprechaun for the Purple Irish as they pick themselves up and go to work on one end of the Arena while the Bradley Bears do the same on the opposite end... 3 Gripping matches Simultaneously Producing moments of Hysteria...

Coach Simpson and the transformed Ryan team calls this one Sweeter than ever with young first year wrestlers stepping up for miraculous turnaround....

-----------------------------

Fabulous Work Feom Mr John Hunt!!

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/2/4/341221/Father-Ryan-Beats-McCallie-For-D-II.aspx

Father Ryan Beats McCallie For D-II State Duals Mat Title

Christian Brothers Beats Baylor For Third Place,

Saturday, February 4, 2017 - by John Hunt

FRANKLIN, Tenn. – Father Ryan always seems to rise to the occasion when the stakes are highest.

Such was the case this weekend as the Purple Irish won their second straight D-II State Duals wrestling title with a convincing 45-27 victory over McCallie.

River Henry gave the Blue Tornado a 3-0 lead with a decision at 285 and Alex Whitworth made it 9-3 with a first-period pin at 113, but Father Ryan then reeled off five straight wins for a commanding 27-9 lead following Eli King’s pin at 145 for a 27-9 lead.

Ethan Dendy, Russell Barry and Judah Duhm all had pins for McCallie in three of the next four matches, but the Irish got pins from Andrew Wesnofske and George Hooker in the final two matches for the final 18-point spread.

“That win by Anthony Hagey at 170 sealed it for us and we were feeling good at that point, but now I have to try to figure out a way to convince them they aren’t very good yet,†joked Father Ryan coach Pat Simpson after his team had improved to 27-5.

“We’ve won the last two after finishing second four years in a row, but we’re just thankful it wasn’t Baylor tonight. We gambled and won in several spots tonight, but that’s the best we’ve wrestled all year and I’m really proud of them,†Simpson added.

McCallie coach Mike Newman had all the praise in the world for his Nashville opponents.

“Those guys went out there and earned it tonight, so give all the credit to Father Ryan,†he began his post-match comments.

“They are used to settings like this as they performed well. I just hope we can learn from it. We would have liked to have had better match-ups, but there are times when you just have to go with what you’re dealt. The effort was there. We just didn’t get the results we were looking for,†Newman concluded.

BAYLOR FINISHED FOURTH Saturday afternoon after getting beat by Christian Brothers 38-26 in the consolation finals.

A pin from Jackson Herring and a technical fall from Tyler Lubin allowed the Purple Wave to take an 11-0 lead at the start before Baylor won four of the next five matches to take the lead at 18-15 following a pin from Mason Reiniche at 152.

The score was tied twice after that, the final time at 23-23 before Khamari Whimper gave the Red Raiders a 26-23 lead with a 7-2 decision at 195.

Christian Brothers then won the final three matches, including two with pins, to win going away.

“We had a tough weekend here,†said Baylor coach Ben Nelson after his team went 2-2.

“Christian Brothers has a really good team and we knew coming in that we didn’t match up well with them. We did a lot of intense wrestling and that’s all I can ask, but they were just better than we were today.

“It’s really disappointing after the way we finished our regular season, but that just goes to show that life isn’t always a bed of roses,†Nelson concluded.

Luke Fraley was the only other Baylor wrestler to have a pin in that final match.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL

FATHER RYAN 45, McCALLIE 27

285 – River Henry (M) dec. John Hayes, 2-1;

106 – Paul Killian (FR) dec. Eddie Suh, 6-1;

113 – Alex Whitworth (M) pinned Ty Holland, 1:09;

120 – Christian Simpson (FR) dec. Zach Ward, 7-2;

126 – Lawrence Madson (FR) pinned Evan Hughes, 3:07;

132 – Ray Eason (FR) pinned Brock Herring, 5:55;

138 – Joey Vogelpohl (FR) dec. Jay Davis, 2-0;

145 – Eli King (FR) pinned Thomas Sell, 1:07;

152 – Ethan Dendy (M) pinned Nikota Kouzovik, 2:53;

160 – Russell Barry (M) pinned Patrick Clements, 5:50;

170 – Anthony Hagey (FR) pinned Hayden Rowland, 2:37;

182 – Judah Duhm (M) pinned Henry Hagey, 1:54;

195 – Andrew Wesnofske (FR) pinned Walker Robinson, 1:23;

220 – George Hooker (FR) pinned Riley Looper, :35.

CONSOLATION FINAL FOR THIRD PLACE

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS 38, BAYLOR 26

113 – Jackson Herring (CB) pinned Porter Kaufman, :44;

120 – Tyler Lubin (CB) won by technical fall over Luke Collins, 5:09;

126 – Haden Hartline (Bay) dec. Robert Griggs, 6-1;

132 – Luke Fraley (Bay) pinned Conner Rasberry, 1:28;

138 – Trevor Brown (CB) major dec. Austin Atchley, 19-6;

145 – Alex Atchley (Bay) dec. Elijah Hodge, 5-2;

152 – Mason Reiniche (Bay) pinned Luke Leon, 1:45;

160 – Eric Hodge (CB) dec. Tim Morton, 3-1;

170 – Riley Westlake (Bay) won by injury default over Drew Nicholson;

182 –Andrew Sweatt (CB) won by technical fall over Derek Duncan, 5:14;

195 – Khamari Whimper (Bay) dec. Tommy Brackett, 7-2;

220 – Grayson Walthall (CB) pinned David Thompson, 3:33;

285 – Patrick Healy (CB) pinned Tyree Toliver, :34;

106 – Charles Salvaggio (CB) dec. Clayton Pettway, 5-3.

CONSOLATION SEMIFINAL

BAYLOR 49, BRENTWOOD ACADEMY 30

106 – Clayton Pettway (Bay) won by forfeit;

113 – Jake Weekley (Bay) won by forfeit;

120 – Billy Brooks (BA) pinned Chase Radpour, :18;

126 – Roy Latimer (Bay) won by forfeit;

132 – Logan Spell (BA) pinned Luke Fraley, 3:57;

138 – Austin Atchley (Bay) pinned Bradley Shirling, 1:21;

145 – Alex Atchley (Bay) won by technical fall over Noah Reels, 16-1;

152 – Mason Reiniche (Bay) pinned Furman Jones, 3:11;

160 – Harrison Smith (BA) pinned Tim Morton, 3:37;

170 – Riley Westlake (Bay) won by technical fall over Thomas Butler, 16-0;

182 – Khamari Whimper (Bay) won by forfeit;

195 – Sam Reynolds (Bay) dec. Will Taylor, 7-6;

220 – Max Schott (BA) pinned Tyree Toliver, :37;

285 – Airin Spell (BA) pinned Sam Beard, :18.

(Email John Hunt at [email protected])

--------------

Bradley Beats Cleveland For "Another" AAA State Duals Mat Title

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/2/4/341211/Bradley-Beats-Cleveland-For-AAA-State.aspx

Ed Elkins Clinches 35-24 Win With Late Takedown For Key 3-1 Win At 195

Saturday, February 4, 2017 - by John Hunt

FRANKLIN, Tenn. – The third time was the charm for the Bradley Bears.

Cleveland had prevailed by a single point twice during the regular season, but when the chips were on the line and for the biggest prize here at the Class AAA State Duals wrestling tournament, the Bears won for the second straight year.

It really wasn’t close as the Bears improved to 23-2 with the 35-24 victory.

“First of all, kudos to Cleveland as they have an outstanding program and some really classy coaches,†said Bradley coach Ben Smith shortly after the final match had ended.

“I’m just glad that our region was represented on both sides tonight. It’s been a really difficult week for us as we’ve been battling illness, but we dug deep and found something within themselves.

“We had guys stay off their backs that didn’t happen before and it was Ed Elkins win at 195 that sealed it for us. But we really challenged these guys this week and they responded,†Smith nodded with a smile.

Cleveland coach Josh Bosken didn’t dodge any bullets with his post-match comments.

“We don’t measure who we are by wins and losses, but we put 14 guys out there tonight who fought their tails off. Bradley just came out and won key matches as they wrestled really well,†he began.

“We’ll keep our heads up, but it’s been a real battle with these guys all year and it was another one tonight. One of the biggest keys for us tonight was losing some key swing matches that we had won earlier, but it is what it is,†Bosken concluded.

Wes Devaney got the Bears off and running with a first-minute pin at 106 and the Bears never trailed a single time.

T.J. Hicks and Trey Hicks followed with regular decisions before Colton Landers broke the ice for the Blue Raiders with a major decision at 126.

Ryan McElhaney had a first-period pin for a 17-3 Bradley lead before Cody Mathews cut it to 17-6 with a 5-3 decision at 138.

Knox Fuller then recorded a pin at 145 before Austin Mathews and Caleb Adkins posted back-to-back decisions as the Bradley lead was a commanding 29-6 at that point.

Cleveland had a brief rally with back-to-back pins from Dylan Jones and Jack Hicks, but it was a takedown from Ed Elkins with seven seconds remaining that gave the Bradley senior a 3-1 victory and clinched the match for the Bears with the 14-point lead.

D.J. Gibson then put a little icing on the cake with a 6-0 decision at 220 before Bradley forfeited to Titus Swafford for the final 11-point margin.

Cleveland had improved to 29-0 with a 35-30 win over Science Hill while Bradley had no trouble whatsoever defeating Tennessee High by a convincing 71-6 final.

CLEVELAND 35, SCIENCE HILL 30: These two teams swapped pins at the start and that was the only time the score was tied as Cleveland won the next four matches with two pins, a technical fall and a regular decision for a 26-6 lead following the tech fall by Colton Landers at 132.

Dylan Jones posted a 13-7 decision at 182 to clinch the match for the Blue Raiders as the lead was 35-18 at that point. The Hilltoppers won the final two matches with a pin and a forfeit to make the final margin as close as it was.

“Just one more,†said a happy Cleveland coach Josh Bosken after his team had won for the 29th time without a defeat.

“I’m a little emotional right now, but we did what we’ve done all year long and that’s fight for each other. We got some key bonus points, but we just have to do it one more time.

“We have several superstars on this team and a good bunch of tough dudes. We beat Science Hill worse earlier in the season, but today it didn’t matter what the final score was as long as we advanced,†the first-year head coach concluded.

Titus Swafford, Garrett Bowers and Jayce Mullin all had pins for Cleveland.

BRADLEY 71, TENNESSEE HIGH 6: Those guys from Bristol came to this tournament feeling pretty good about themselves after entering with a gaudy 24-1 record, but the Bears brought them crashing back to earth with their lopsided victory.

Chris Cash gave Bradley an early lead with a hard-fought decision at 285, but the Bradley heavyweight was penalized a team point for unsportsmanlike conduct.

T.J. Hicks got a pin at 113, Trey Hicks added an 11-8 decision at 120 before Ethan Anderson, Ryan McElhaney and Andy Robinson posted successive pins for Bradley.

Knox Fuller’s forfeit at 145 made it 35-6 and Austin Mathews made it 41-6 with a pin at 152 before the Vikings forfeited the final five matches as the outcome had been determined by that point.

Bradley coach Ben Smith was a bit concerned over the physical well-being of his team following Friday’s action, but he was feeling much better after Saturday’s romp over the Vikings.

“This just gives us a shot at another state title and that’s what we’re looking for, but we feel a whole lot better now than we did yesterday,†Smith expressed afterward.

“Tennessee High has a tough team and we have a lot of respect for them, but they tried to bump up on us and we took it personally. I thought we responded well as we were ready to wrestle today.

“We had the match locked up and we wanted to give some of our younger guys some match experience, but they forfeited out in hopes of saving something for their next match,†the Bradley coach nodded.

AAA CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL

BRADLEY 35, CLEVELAND 24

106 – Wes Devaney (BC) pinned Garrett Stevenson, :56;

113 – T.J. Hicks (BC) dec. Garret Bowers, 5-1;

120 – Trey Hicks (BC) dec. Bryce Pond, 6-5;

126 – Colton Landers (Clev) major dec. Ethan Anderson, 13-1;

132 – Ryan McElhaney (BC) pinned Jayce Mullin, 1:19;

138 – Cody Mathews (Clev) dec. Andy Robinson, 5-3;

145 – Knox Fuller (BC) pinned Caleb Eachus, 2:46;

152 – Austin Mathews (BC) dec. Austin Sweeney, 7-6;

160 – Caleb Adkins (BC) dec. Odin Gallagher, 7-1;

170 – Dylan Jones (Clev) pinned Henley Headrick, 5:52;

182 – Jack Hicks (Clev) pinned Trey Johnson, :30;

195 – Ed Elkins (BC) dec. Logan Strickland, 3-1;

220 – D.J. Gibson (BC) dec. Seth Garcia, 6-0;

285 – Titus Swafford (Clev) won by forfeit.

BRADLEY CENTRAL 71, TENNESSEE HIGH 6

285 – Chris Cash (BC) dec. Nathaniel Scott, 7-5;

106 – Rodney Nelson (TH) pinned Wes Devaney, 5:28;

113 – T.J.Hicks (BC) pinned Dillon Pendley, 3:01;

120 – Trey Hicks (BC) dec. Judson McCray, 11-8;

126 – Ethan Anderson (BC) pinned Dominic Fields, :50;

132 – Ryan McElhaney (BC) pinned Nathan Johnson, :12;

138 – Andy Robinson (BC) pinned Logan Ferguson, 2:19;

145 – Knox Fuller (BC) won by forfeit;

152 – Austin Mathews (BC) pinned Jared Harter, 2:26;

160 – William Kaylor (BC) won by forfeit;

170 – Caleb Adkins (BC) won by forfeit;

182 – Henley Headrick (BC) won by forfeit;

195 – Ed Elkins (BC) won by forfeit;

220 – Kevin Gentry (BC) won by forfeit.

CLEVELAND 35, SCIENCE HILL 30

285 – Titus Swafford (Clev) pinned Jesse Cross, :24;

106 – Tyler Seeley (SH) pinned Burns Meagher, 1:28;

113 – Garret Bowers (Clev) pinned Zach Scaggs, :12;

120 – Bryce Pond (Clev) dec. Nathan Wysong, 9-2;

126 – Jayce Mullin (Clev) pinned Garrett Stiltner, 4:28;

132 – Colton Landers (Clev) won by technical fall over Cooper Williams;

138 – Luke Story (SH) pinned Cody Mathews, 2:06;

145 – Caleb Eachus (Clev) dec. Greyson Pridemore, 3-1;

152 – Austin Sweeney (Clev) dec. Arthur James, 3-2;

160 – Isiah Ryans (SH) dec. Zach Brezna, 5-2;

170 – William Diehl (SH) dec. Seth Eachus, 7-2;

182 – Dylan Jones (Clev) dec. Weston Brown, 13-7;

195 – Denzel Medina (SH) pinned Isaah Perez, 5:29;

220 – Demitire Medina (SH) won by forfeit.

------------------------------

In case you couldn't make the Duals this year...

https://youtu.be/YJFl6H6Kr9k

https://youtu.be/ppUE8sMoob4

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

Gossett always offering fine wrestling support...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2017/feb/05/bradley-gives-cleveland-its-first-loss-wins-a/411281/

Bradley Central gives rival Cleveland first loss, wins AAA state duals title

February 5th, 2017by Kellie Smiddiein Sports - PrepsRead Time: 3 mins.

Bradley Central wrestling coach Ben Smith.

Photo by Angela Lewis Foster /Times Free Press.

FRANKLIN, Tenn. — That the state championship was going to stay in Cleveland was all but a foregone conclusion. The question was whether that 2017 Class AAA wrestling duals championship would wind up on Raider Drive, home of Cleveland's Blue Raiders, or South Lee Highway, the longtime home of Bradley Central's Bears.

Bradley, after a pair of one-point losses to its crosstown rival in the regular season, turned the tables Saturday night in the state finals, beating the Blue Raiders 35-24.

Further down the floor in the cavernous Williamson County Agricultural Expo, McCallie had questions of its own to answer. The Blue Tornado hadn't reached the championship match since 2006, when they topped rival Baylor. They couldn't bring home a 2017 title, though, falling 41-27 to Father Ryan in the Division II duals final.

"You have to give Father Ryan credit. They wrestled well," McCallie coach Mike Newman said. "We had a great team effort (to get to the finals). Obviously the goal is winning, but we found things to work on and we have a lot we can build on."

The deciding points for Bradley (23-2) were scored by Ed Elkins, who bumped up from 182 pounds and edged Jason Strickland 3-1 with a takedown in the final 11 seconds of the 195-pound final.

"We debated that move. He's wrestling with a torn labrum, but he showed so much courage," Bradley coach Ben Smith said.

Cleveland (29-1) entered the AAA finals with the obvious upper hand, having clipped the defending champions twice by a single point. Yet if it was possible to feel good about losses, Bradley had every reason, especially after winning eight of the 14 matches in their last meeting less than a month ago.

And after seeing almost every twist and turn go against them in the previous meetings, the Bears got the early breaks and led by a clinching 32-18 score with the 220- and 285-pound matches yet to be wrestled.

"We got everything I could ask for," Smith said. "When we left here yesterday I didn't know how much we had left in the tank, but I'm so proud of our seniors. They reached down deep and gave everything they had."

The Bears had at least four starters basically "quarantined" Thursday and Friday morning, at least two of them with what Smith said was Type-B flu.

But they responded with a valiant effort against what the Bradley coach called a valiant opponent.

"Kudos to Cleveland — a great program with great coaches, great kids. I'm glad and I'm proud that Region 4 was well represented again in this tournament."

First-year Cleveland coach Josh Bosken actually took the loss in stride.

"We have told the kids all year long that we measure success by attitude and effort, not wins and losses, and I can accept second because they worked their tails off," he said. "With Bradley, though, it's a battle every time."

Getting to the finals was domination for the two traditional powerhouses. Even with forfeits allowed after having victories secured, Bradley averaged 60.3 points and Cleveland 48 in their three-match trips to the title bout.

For the first time since the A/AA duals were established in 2005, Chattanooga teams failed to place in that classification.

Hixson, also for the first time, went 0-2, losing to Greenbrier 41-24 Saturday morning after a Friday loss to Greeneville. Notre Dame won its first match 41-36 on Friday, lost to eventual finalist Pigeon Forge 40-30 Friday night and was eliminated by Greenbrier 41-24 in Saturday's second consolation round.

Hixson won back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010 and Notre Dame won three consecutive state titles (2006-08). Red Bank (2016) and Central (2011-12) also previously won team titles while East Ridge was a place-winner in 2013.

Read next article

Surging Sonoraville sends seven to GHSA state wrestling, including four sectional champs

Mr Pat Simpson shares his shock and even disbelief...

Thanks Tom Kreager... Great video coverage too...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/02/04/father-ryan-repeats-division-ii-duals-wrestling-champion/97391792/

Pic

Henry Hagey of Father Ryan, left, battles Judah Duhm of McCallie in the 182-pound weight class of the TSSAA... more

Joe Buglewicz / For The Tennessean

Father Ryan repeats as Division II duals wrestling champion

The Irish did just that Saturday night in dominant fashion. Father Ryan defeated McCallie 45-27 in the Williamson County Ag Expo Center for its ninth duals title in school history.

"It's real hard (to repeat)," said Father Ryan's Ray Eason, who helped break the match open when he pinned Brock Herring at 132 pounds in a rematch of Eason's 8-3 win in last year's DII individual championship win at 126 pounds. "All year we kept losing. It was hard to come from our team last year to this year's team."

Simpson pointed to a tournament in Cleveland in December that gave him doubts if this year's team would repeat.

"I would have bet any amount of money that we couldn't win it," Simpson said. "But they worked hard and kept getting better."

Eason was moved up a weight class from his normal 126 pounds in a strategic move by Simpson.

Pic

Anthony Hagey of Father Ryan celebrates after his victory over Hayden Rowland of McCallie in the ...more

Joe Buglewicz / For The Tennessean

Continue reading below

SPORTS

Should Titans return ‘Oilers’ legacy to Houston?

SPORTS

Predators mailbag: What's next for Mike Ribeiro?

SPORTS

Nashville sports on TV and radio: Feb. 5

SPORTS

Vanderbilt women's basketball falls to Kentucky

SPORTS

Tom Brady, Patriots' epic rally ends with fifth Super Bowl title

"We felt like we had to find enough wins so that we could win it," Simpson said. "We had to take a chance and bump (up in class).

"Our strategies worked great tonight. This is where kids wrestle up and down. You just want to try and figure out what gives you the best chance to win the dual."

The Irish's backup at 126 pounds â€” Lawrence Madson â€” pinned Evan Hughes. Joey Vogelpohl won 2-0 over Jay Davis at 138 pounds and three-time state champion Eli King pinned Thomas Sell in 1:07 for a 27-9 lead.

"My best friends are on this team, and we won it together," King said. "(Eason) was a big momentum changer for us. Those types of wins can change how a match can go."

Reach Tom Kreager at 615-259-8089 and [email protected] and on Twitter @Kreager.

http://www.columbiad...ach-state-duals

Summit, Indy, Raiders' mat reach state duals

By MAURICE PATTON [email protected]

FRANKLIN - A couple of area teams were in action at this weekend's TSSAA State Dual Wrestling Tournament at the Williamson County Ag Expo.

And another program that has yet to get going was represented as well.

"I had some people tell me they had a lot of success on that mat," said Beau Moss, whose Spring Hill team will begin competition next season. "It made a lot of the right people happy. I hope it's a lucky mat."

Taking advantage of a discounted rate, the Raiders purchased a mat from Dollamur prior to the tournament. It was among the eight that were used for the two-day double-elimination event for Class A/AA, Class AAA and Division II.

In fact, neighboring Page wrestled its consolation finals match against Greenbrier on the Spring Hill mat and won 37-36 to finish third in the eight-team A/AA competition.

"I don't remember the exact dollar amount (saved), but we were able to order it and had the money and wanted to go ahead and get it," Moss said. "It looked good. I got up there Friday night and took a few pictures of it.

"It's a big step for our program. They also will use it in the individual state tournament (Feb. 16-18 at the Ag Expo). We will probably take it home that weekend, and we hope to start doing some conditioning on it almost immediately. It's a pretty exciting time."

In the 16-team Class AAA event, Summit and Independence had mirroring results. Each won their Friday opener, lost in quarterfinal action and was eliminated in their Saturday consolation match.

Summit, the Region 6-AAA titlist, opened with a 54-19 win against Gibbs - the first state duals victory in the program's history, after an 0-2 appearance in 2015.

"We came out and scored points, got pins right away," Spartans coach Pete Miller