Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

Russo follows UTC's former asst Bedard to Reinhardt University...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2016/may/11/tswall-state-basketball-teams-include-14-arep/364919/

Soddy-Daisy's Tucker Russo drives Ooltewah's Jordan Chafi to the mat to take a 18-8 major decision in the 160-pound class at Saturday's Region 4-AAA wrestling tournament at Cleveland Middle School.

Pic

Photo by Tim Barber /Times Free Press.

Soddy-Daisy standouto Tucker Russo has committed to Reinhardt University, a NAIA school that will be fielding its first wrestling team beginning with the 2016-17 season.

Reinhardt is coached by Jeff Bedard, most recently an assistant coach for Heath Eslinger at UTC.

"When I first started my tour, I wasn't really thinking seriously about going there, but it grew on me," said Russo, a two-time state champion, four-time state medalist and three-time region champion. "It's a great opportunity, and I think I will grow up there over the next few years there. I don't think I'll be disappointed."

Russo had been talking with Appalachian State when he began visiting with Bedard, who knew of the 160-pounder through his days at UTC.

"I like him and I think it's a better opportunity for me than Appalachian," Russo said of Bedard. "I think he'll be a good coach for me and a good fit for me."

Russo, who will graduate from Soddy-Daisy with at least a 3.0 grade point average, was pleased with what he found on the Waleska, Ga., campus.

"It's a smaller school and the class sizes are smaller," he said. "The average class is 15-17 students, and I'll be more comfortable with that. When I went on my visit I was told that most professors know each of their students by name."

Russo went through the 2015-16 season undefeated until the state tournament. He lost on a disqualification when he was whistled for an illegal slam and his opponent's coach said his wrestler was unable to continue. Russo rebounded to finish third, and he went through the season without giving up a single offensive point.

Blackman note: Jr Matthew Sells did lose in OT to Russo in the Brentwood GP West final.

John Lampe, Johnson Named CoSIDA Academic All-District

Two wrestlers named to CoSIDA Academic All-District At-Large Team.

May. 12, 2016 Wrestling

COSIDA ACADEMIC ALL-DISTRICT AT-LARGE TEAMS

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team put two student-athletes on the CoSIDA Academic All-District At-Large Team, the Collegiate Sports Information Directors of America announced today. Senior John Lampe and junior Jared Johnson both made the squad and are now eligible for Academic All-American recognition.

The Academic All-Districtâ„¢ teams are divided into eight geographic districts across the United States and Canada. The At-Large nominees come from the following sports: Fencing, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rifle, Skiing, Swimming, Women's Tennis, Volleyball, Water Polo and Wrestling.

Lampe carried a 3.97 grade-point-average throughout his undergraduate career and graduated in 2015 with a degree in History. He is currently working towards a Master's Degree in Education and has a 4.0 GPA in his graduate work.

A native of Fairdale, Ky., he was a two-time All-Southern Conference wrestler and qualified for the NCAA Tournament for the first time as a senior in 2016. He posted a 20-7 record at 184 pounds last season and led the Mocs with seven pins.

Lampe was also the Mocs Dayle May Award winner. This honor is given to both a male and female senior student-athlete with the highest cumulative GPA at UTC. He is the first wrestler to win this prestigious honor.

Johnson graduated with honors last weekend with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He has a 3.73 GPA and will be back for one more year of wrestling as a graduate student next season.

The Jefferson City, Mo., native finished with a 23-7 record at heavyweight. He was ranked No. 13 in the nation at the end of the season and qualified for the NCAA Tournament for the second year in a row.

Johnson and Lampe are the first wrestlers since Jason McCroskey (2009-11) in 2011 to earn CoSIDA Academic All-District honors. To be considered for the award, student-athletes must carry a 3.30 cumulative GPA and participate in at least half of their team's competitions.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.gomocs.com/news/2016/5/12/wrestling-lampe-johnson-named-cosida-academic-all-district.aspx&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTNTc0MjEyNTAyNDU0NTI3MTk3ODIaNzUxZjkwNDc1Y2ZkMzU4NTpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNGcocX893c3iYbxj_6rIH-k6NeZmw

VIEW FULL WEBSITE Learfield Sports SIDEARM Sports

Privacy Policy Terms of Service

CLOSE

Coaches can learn much from Ryan Parker as they search the halls and educate coaches of other sports...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/5/13/324191/Chattanoogan-Ryan-Parkers-Impressive.aspx

Saturday, May 14, 201655.6°F  Clear

Chattanoogan: Ryan Parker’s Impressive 3-Sport Career At Baylor Nearing End

Friday, May 13, 2016 - by John Shearer

Pic

Ryan Parker, left, with coach Bill McMahan

- photo by John Shearer

Like the discus he has thrown to championship results, Baylor School senior Ryan Parker’s athletic career has certainly been well rounded.

It has reached for the skies, too.

In this era when the majority of high school athletes focus on a single sport, he has not only competed in three sports, but he has also thrived in them.

He was named the Division II-AA Mr. Football recipient as a lineman last fall, he won his fourth straight state championship in wrestling this winter, and he is trying to defend his state title in the discus this spring in track and field.

At a school that has produced a number of excellent athletes dating back decades, his name is already being mentioned among the greats.

“The day he is eligible to be nominated for the Baylor Sports Hall of Fame, he will be a unanimous vote,†said his track coach, Bill McMahan, who has observed many Baylor athletes as a former student and longtime teacher and coach. “He is as good an athlete as anyone who has been here in the last 10 years, anyway.â€

His storied career at Baylor is now coming to a close, with only the region and state meets remaining later this month before he heads off to West Point this summer to play football – and possibly other sports.

As he amicably chatted one day last week before practice, he appeared to be already getting mentally ready for his career at Army. He was sporting an Army T-shirt and said he was breaking in some Army boots.

He already appears to be comfortable mastering the Army style of looking someone he is meeting in the eye in a respectful manner. And he seemed genuinely interested in wondering what publication this particular interview was for, despite all the attention he has already received.

As he talked, it also became apparent that he still has some unfinished business at Baylor athletically before he leaves, or at least one particular achievement that would be icing on the cake. “I hope to make the state in both the shot put and discus as well as beat John Hannah’s school record at 171 feet in the discus,†he said of the former Baylor multi-sport athlete from the 1960s, who is now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. “I’ve beaten it in practice, I’ve just got to get it in a meet.â€

According to the TSSAA website, Parker won the state Division II discus title last spring with a toss of 164 feet, 7 inches.

Regardless of what happens, he said he has enjoyed his time greatly at Baylor. In fact, he gives all his coaches credit and said they have been the secret to any success he has been able to achieve. Besides coach McMahan and all the assistants, that also includes head football coach Phil Massey and head wrestling coach Ben Nelson.

“Of course you have to put in the hard work, but really it’s all the coaching I’ve gotten here at Baylor that’s helped me get to the next level,†he said.

The son of Bill and Samantha Parker of Hixson came to Baylor in the sixth grade after his parents moved to Chattanooga. He spent his younger years in Knoxville thinking he might end up attending Knoxville Catholic High School.

He was drawn to Baylor due to the encouragement of Virginia Anne Manson, a member of the Baylor admissions office and the mother of some former Baylor wrestlers, and his AAU wrestling coach, Mike Sutherland, he said.

His mother was a cheerleader at Florida Atlantic University and his father had once tried out for what is now known as the Miami Marlins baseball team before suffering an injury, so playing sports came naturally.

And focusing on just one sport was never an option that interested Ryan.

“I like to do a lot due to the fact that my parents have always pushed me to do multiple sports to the point where if I’m not doing something, I just bounce off the walls with energy,†he said with a laugh while sitting in the Heywood Stadium track stands at Baylor. “I feel like I always have to be doing something.â€

He said he even has trouble figuring out what his favorite sport is.

“That’s a great question,†he said. “It’s more of a seasonal thing. If you ask me during football season, it’s football. If you ask me during wrestling, it’s wrestling. It just depends on the day.â€

But while the sports and seasons are different, his focus of giving it all has always been the same throughout the year. He said he believes in extra work in the morning or after an afternoon practice, and he constantly tries to keep himself motivated by thinking about how he can outdo the competition.

“I think about it as what the opponent or whomever I’m playing is doing, and then doing that same amount of work the coaches tell me to do. And then I use that as motivation to work out even harder,†he said. “I want to do more than whatever they are doing to prepare.â€

Coach McMahan said he has been impressed with his work ethic. “He is driven,†he said. “He is just really driven. He works so hard and he’s not one of these guys who plays like one sport all the time.â€

Parker also enjoys giving back by helping everyone from younger athletes to Senior Olympians through some volunteer coaching. And that has made him think that he might enjoy being a coach fulltime somewhere down the road.

But for now, he has an appointment at West Point and a likely career in the Army for at least a few years.

This comes after he initially had other plans. He had grown up being inspired athletically by the movie, “Rudy,†about the walk-on who gets to play briefly at Notre Dame, so he dreamed of playing collegiately for the Fighting Irish. His football exploits last fall – including being a star in the somewhat surprising 38-14 win over rival McCallie -- led to an invitation from the Notre Dame coaches to be a preferred walk-on there.

However, the Army opportunity opened up, so he will report for boot camp and training there in late June and play football this fall.

As one might expect, he is not fearful of what lies ahead.

“I’m looking forward to it,†he said. “I went up there for the spring game recently and I got to meet all my new teammates and all the new incoming commits and I just felt right at home.â€

Besides the full scholarship offer, part of the reason he picked Army over Notre Dame was that he is hoping he might also get to participate in another varsity sport there, possibly track and field.

He will actually not be the first good athlete from Baylor to be involved with the Army football program. 1944 graduate Joe Steffy won the Outland Trophy, given to the nation’s best interior lineman, as an Army player in 1947, while Herman Hickman from the Baylor class of 1928 was an assistant coach there after starring at Tennessee.

A good student at Baylor, Parker said he is thinking about majoring in either mechanical engineering or biomedical engineering at West Point.

Based on his enjoyment playing challenging sports at Baylor and his love for training, an obvious question is whether he would like to one day be an elite Army Ranger.

“My parents don’t like that idea, but I would love to be a Ranger,†he said with a smile.

Regardless, he has already earned another title at Baylor – winner.

“He’s a four-time state wrestling champion, a two-time all-state player in football and the most valuable defensive player in the league both years in football,†said coach McMahan. “And he’s a state champion in discus.â€

Jcshearer2@comcast.net

Ryan Parker

- Photo2 by John Shearer

PF's Croley, Kieta sign with Cumberland, Coker

http://www.themountainpress.com/sports/pf-s-croley-kieta-sign-with-cumberland-coker/article_d5fe9a22-194a-11e6-8833-ffd00f113ef0.html

By Wes Mayberry 

PIGEON FORGE— A pair of Pigeon Forge High School wrestlers have signed to continue their careers at the collegiate level. Seniors Josh Croley and Matthew Kieta signed letters of intent Thursday to wrestle at Cumberland University and Coker College, respectively.

Edited by Sommers

It's Official Tyler Barber signed to wrestle for Cumberland University! Proud parents Lisa Barber and James Barber get to see him compete at a fine university just 30 min up the road.

Also... Heading off to the Olympic Training, but maybe we see a Kramer, Evans, Boykin Round Robin before Colorado Springs.... Tennessee's Got Talent up at Top!!

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/05/16/riverdales-nick-boykin-train-olympic-facility/84460142/

Riverdale's Nick Boykin to train at Olympic facility

Tom Kreager, tkreager@dnj.com1 day agoFacebookTwitterGoogle Plusmore

Piç

HELEN COMER/DNJ

All-Midstate Wrestler of the Year, Nick Boykin, a junior at Riverdale High School in Murfreesboro, on Thursday March 24, 2016.

Pic

HELEN COMER/DNJ

MURFREESBORO — Nick Boykin couldn't turn down a chance to train with the best wrestlers in the United States.

The Riverdale junior announced Monday that he will home-school for at least half his senior year, leaving Murfreesboro for Colorado Springs to train with Team USA wrestling program after the Warriors' 2016 football program ends.

Boykin, a two-sport athlete at Riverdale, will train at the Olympic Training Center, working out with the Greco Roman team.

"This will just give me the training I need to become an Olympic champion," Boykin said.

I am honored to announce that I will start training at the Olympic Training Center next year #teamUSApic.twitter.com/2sd9A3pikX

— Nicholas Boykin. (@NicholasBoykin) May 17, 2016

Boykin, a two-sport athlete at Riverdale, last summer became the first athlete from Tennessee to win the Cadet National Championships in both Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestling in the same year. He is a two-time TSSAA Class AAA state wrestling champion at 285 pounds.

Boykin had a trial run in Colorado during spring break.

"It was just to see what it was going to be like if I did move out there, and the people I'd have to wrestle with and what it's like there," he said. "I enjoyed it. I got beat up every other day. Other than that, it was pretty fun."

Boykin said he would like to still compete in the TSSAA wrestling championships if he is permitted since he will be home-schooling. He hasn't met with anyone from the TSSAA yet to discuss the possibility.

Boykin was named The Daily News Journal's 2016 Male Athlete of the Year at its All Sports Banquet presented by First Tennessee earlier this month. He went 45-0 this past wrestling season for his second consecutive undefeated season.

He's an offensive and defensive lineman for the football team.

"This is an open door," Boykin said of the opportunity. "Not many people get this chance to go to the Olympic Training Center right out of high school. It means a lot that I'm one of those guys that they see potential in. I'm going to try and win for them."

Boykin said he tentatively plans on training for a couple years at the facility to see how he likes it. He said he will eventually go to college and wrestle.

Reach Tom Kreager at 615-278-5168 or on Twitter @Kreager.

Note: NCAA Hwy Nat'l Champ Kyle Snider made this plan work making that amazing run bumping up to break Gwiazdowski's (of NC St) 80+ win streak.

More from Tennessean...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/05/17/locals-nominated-us-army-all-american-bowl/84494684/

SPORTS

Prep notebook: Boykin to follow Olympic dream

John A. Gillis / File / Gannett Tennessee

Boykin has posted two straight undefeated seasons.

Riverdale junior Nick Boykin took the next step towards his ultimate goal of becoming an Olympic wrestling champion Monday.

The back-to-back Class AAA 285-pound state champion announced Monday that he will home-school for at least half his senior year, leaving Murfreesboro for Colorado Springs to train with Team USA wrestling program after the Warriors' 2016 football program ends.

"This will just give me the training I need to become an Olympic champion," Boykin said.

Boykin has proven he may capable of doing just that.

The Tennessean’s All-Midstate wrestler of the year  not only wrapped up his second consecutive state title this year, but he became the first athlete from Tennessee to win the Cadet National Championships in both Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestling in the same year.

After visiting Colorado Springs over spring break, Boykin said the opportunity to train at the Olympic Training Center was one he just couldn’t pass on.

"This is an open door," he said. "Not many people get this chance to go to the Olympic Training Center right out of high school. It means a lot that I'm one of those guys that they see potential in. I'm going to try and win for them."

As for his quest for the state title three-peat, Boykin said he would like to still compete in the TSSAA wrestling championships if he is permitted since he will be home-schooling but he has yet to meet with anyone from the TSSAA yet to discuss the possibility.

Edited by Sommers

Tennessee high school Harold Johnson from the wrestling team put his name on the dotted line when he signed with Lindenwood University.

Johnson, was a regional champion who finished 6th in the state…This past season he finished 35-9 and he won 80% percent of his matches in high school.

http://wjhl.com/2016/05/18/four-players-from-science-hill-and-one-from-tennessee-high-sign-nils/

Cleveland area Tidbit...

Continued Local Press for a Century of Bradley Central Bear Nation Sports in general including their most Recent Wrestling Resurgence...

With the football team making the state playoffs,,,,

plus the 22nd and 23rd state titles for the Bear wrestling program (all within 20+- years),,,,

as well as the Bearettes making their third state tournament in four years, while the boys hoop squad returned to the TSSAA substate,,,,

Bradley is hoping to put a capper on the school’s 100th year with a run at the state baseball title, but Coach Adams, who was on the 1994 state championship team, knows its one game at a time, so his and the Bears focus in on Cookeville, which is coming to town for the Region 3-AAA opener Monday night.

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/sweet-tooth-helps-motivate-bear-success,34402

Edited by Sommers

The UTC Family, you may remember mid nineties, Robby Lail (a wrestler under Mark Leen now a Okla. HOF'er) has national wrestling hall of fame inductees, his own mom and dad, some of you may know...

http://m.hickoryrecord.com/life_entertainment/column-a-journey-to-the-national-wrestling-hall-of-fame/article_38f376ac-2102-11e6-9ce8-33995b32f059.html?mode=jqm

His dad, RT, has been a part of wrestling since 1967 and started Four high school teams and additional clubs. high ranking nationally acclaimed official as well.... His son, Robbie, was among north and south Carolina wrestlers who competed in Russia, winning two of the matches. He’d wrestled since age 3. He was St. Stephens High School’s first state champion, and the recipient of a University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling scholarship.

---------------------

Also, here's a treat or little throwback some may find interesting and another example of how UTC helped as a stepping stone for top tier wrestling...

http://a.espncdn.com/ncaa/s/intermat/oklajosh.html

Edited by Sommers

More tidbits...

Leen:

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/978509-leen-back-home-in-tennessee

Boykin:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/978508-boykin-at-flight-time-duals-talking-otc

Soto:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/978510-soto-running-the-barn-in-tn

Cleveland on Flo...

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/978316-cleveland-tn-barn-bunk-house

Also...

Big Congrats to join Kramer and the balance his Wrestlers have achieved...

Wilson Central Wrestling 2015-16

Team record 40 – 7

Region Dual Champions

STATE DUALS : 4th

Individual State : 5th

Zach Linton : 170# State Champion : scholarship to Doane College in Nebraska

Michael Kramer : 285# All State 4th

Damon Smith : 160# All State 5th

Nick King : signed with MTSU

Sinjin Noga and Alex pergande finished top 8 in the State

The team lost 7 Starters from the 2015 State Runner up Team. This year had 5 Freshman step in and fill some of those vacant spots. 3 of them qualified for the State Championships and 1 of them received All State Honors

They combined for 235 Wins

Team received the Distinguished Academic Award from The TSSAA for having a cumulative team GPA of over 3.25

The past two years The Team has received the Outstanding Academic Award for a Cumulative GPA of 3.0 – 3.24

12 individuals received the Student/Athlete Scholar Award from the TSSAA

wilson central high school- ptso

Edited by Sommers

It is official Zach Linton is now a Doane Tiger.

He excepted the athletic scholarship offer of Doane College in Crete NE. Another plus is that his brother, NAIA National Champion 2016 197#, is now the new Assistant Coach. At the signing is (right to left) Doane Assistant Coach Cody Linton, Zach Linton, Wilson Central Head Coach John Kramer (via Skype), Theresa Theresa Cody Linton and Rory Linton

Find names honored below on recent links like... Sammy Evans Nick Boykin Trey Chalifoux Matthew Sells Eli King Christian Simpson Knox Fuller Ryan McElhaney Bret Brown TJ Hicks Charles Wheaton Blake Reichel Judah Duhm Khamari Whimper and some others I may have missed + many we know or have competed with...

Here:

http://wrestlingusa.com/

or here:

www.wrestlingusa.com › ewExternalFiles

Several here...

May 1, 2016 - Editor's Note: Here are final rankings of the Nation's Best

Best 2015-16 High School Juniors

By Dan Fickel

National Editor

Editor’s Note: Here are final rankings of the Nation’s Best 2015-16 High School

Juniors. Seven factors were considered in determining these rankings. They include:

(1) accomplishments at the state high school championships (folkstyle); (2) National Junior Freestyle and Greco-Roman Championships; 3) Performances at prestigious regular season high school tournaments; (4) Super 32 Challenge Tournament; (5) Cadet National Championships; (6) NHSCA Championships; (7) Flo Nationals. Rankings were finalized on 5-1-16. For any corrections, E-mail: dfickel@netlink.net

1. Jason Holmes (Chandler, AZ)

2. Joey Harrison (Omaha Burke, NE)

3. Rayvon Foley (Pioneer, MI)

4. Canon Randall (Westmoore, OK)

5. Trevor Edwards (Mattoon, IL)

6. Jake Ferri (Shawsheen Vo-Tech, MA)

7. Wyatt Adams (Lawton MacArthur, OK)

8. Brakan Mead (Olentangy Liberty, OH)

9. Peter Ogunsanya (Oak Park-River Forest, IL)

10. Elijah Varona (South Dade, FL)

11. Cody Craig (Skowhegan, ME)

12. Brady Koontz (Stevens Point, WI)

13. Austin Kedzie (Kaneland, IL)

14. Jacob Dunlop (Belle Vernon, PA)

15. Robert Hartling (Edward O. Smith, CT)

16. Dakota Roark (West Wilkes, NC)

17. Chris Spano (Marriotts Ridge, MD)

18. Kory Cavanaugh (Penn, IN)

19. Luke Ecklof (St. John Vianney, NJ)

20. Ethan Rotondo (Union, WA)

21. Cyro Montoya (Green River, WY)

22. Austin Cunningham (Campbell County, WY)

23. Drew Sobol (Wood River, IL)

24. Nick Schutzenhoffer (Christian Brothers, NJ)

25. Kenny Kerwin (Passaic Valley, NJ)

26. Dillon Torgerson (North Sevier, UT)

27. Jonathan Walker (Brentsville, VA)

28. Andrew Richard (Lincoln Sudbury, MA)

29. Anthony Gallagher (Perry, MI)

30. Dalton Stutzman (Layton, UT)

Special Mention:

Marcelino Aponte (Britt, NC)

Sam Braswell (Matoaca, VA)

Brian Crawford (Rocky Mountain, WY)

Mark Gonzales (Sandia, NM)

Austin Gouedy (Central, BR, LA)

Cale Johnson (Tuttle, OK)

Keelan Kunselmar (Brookville, PA)

Trevor Klinnert (Tri-Valley, SD)

Brenan Langley (Basile, LA)

Kolby Milner (Pickens, GA)

Ryan Mock (Huntington, NY)

Daniel Percelay (DePaul, NJ)

Matt Petersen (Byron, MN)

Charles Wheaton (Soddy Daisy, TN)

1. Matt Parker (Pennridge, PA)

2. Paxton Rosen (Edmond North, OK)

3. Colton Cummings (Lowell, IN)

4. Esco Walker (Hopewell, NC)

5. Anthony Cirillo (Rocky Point, NY)

6. T.J. Hicks (Bradley Central, TN)

7. Jakob Campbell (Boyertown, PA)

8. Joey Thomas (South Carroll, MD)

9. Brock Bergelin (Denmark, WI)

10. Brock Henderson (North Linn, IA)

11. Matt Caccamise (Wayne, NY)

12. Charles Faber (Glenbard West, IL)

13. Bryce Davis (Creekview, GA)

14. Killian Cardinale (Patriot, VA)

15. Boo Dryden (Hayesville Campus, KS)

16. Lukus Stricker (Akron Hoban, OH)

17. Dack Punke (Washington, IL)

18. Tristan Haviland (Trumbull, CT)

19. Dallas Wilson (Wichita South, KS)

20. Trevor Cluff (Wasatch, UT)

21. Dylan Koontz (Stevens Point, WI)

22. McGwire Midkiff (Thomas Jefferson, IA)

23. Dan Ortega (North Bergen, NJ)

24. Alex Nunez (Alta Loma, CA)

25. Nick Souder (Weaver, AL)

26. Garret Vos (Waconia, MN)

27. Tanner Yenter (Campbell County, KY)

28. Dylan Pelland (Pratt, KS)

29. David Kerr (La Pine, OR)

30. Andrew Nielsen (Plattsmouth, NE)

Special Mention:

Geo Barzona (Central Mountain, PA)

Cale Betchan (Perry, OK)

Carl Cronin (Potter Co., SD)

Chad Craft (Northmont, OH)

Nick Daggett (Chatham Central, NC)

Eddie Daniel (Minico, ID)

Cole Janes (Grand Ledge, MI)

Jeremy Lawley (Broken Arrow, OK)

Pierce Medeiros (Mountain Home, ID)

Jack Medley (Fair Haven-Anchor Bay, MI)

Diamonte Perry (Lake Gibson, FL)

Brady Poulsen (Delta, UT)

Greg Quinn (Shadyside, OH)

Blake Reichel (Red Bank, TN)

Brett Rezendes (Bridgewater-Raynham, MA)

Louie Romero (Mountain Range, CO)

Triston Santos (Campbell, HI)

Colin Schuster (Mason, OH)

Christian Simpson (Father Ryan, TN)

Theo Thaxton (Patrick Henry, VA)

Logan Treaster (Newton, KS)

David Van Tassel (Duchesne, UT)

Greg Viloria (West, CA)

Luke Werner (Liberty, PA)

Caleb Yates (Anthony Wayne, OH)

1. Spencer Lee (Franklin Regional, PA)

2. Justin Mejia (Clovis, CA)

3. Jason Renteria (Oak Park-River Forest, IL)

4. Austin DeSanto (Exeter, PA)

5. Brandon Courtney (Desert Edge, AZ)

6. Drew Mattin (Delta, OH)

7. Ian Timmins (Wooster, NV)

8. Jaxon Cole (North Summit, UT)

9. Mason Wohltman (Lake Highland Prep, FL)

10. Cameron Valdiviez (Rockhurst, MO)

11. Connor Brown (Oak Grove, MO)

12. Michael McGee (Plainfield East, IL)

13. Bryce West (Highland Riverside, IA)

14. K.C. Fenstermacher (Liberty, PA)

15. Jet Taylor (Sallisaw, OK)

16. Robert Garcia (Selma, CA)

17. Dominic Lajoie (Gaylord, MI)

18. Gianni Ghione (Brick Memorial, NJ)

19. Shane Metzler (West Morris Central, NJ)

20. Dane Heberlein (Alexander, NY)

21. Dan Moran (Northampton, PA)

22. Korbin Meink (Omaha Skutt, NE)

23. Jonathan Gomez (Locust Valley, NY)

24. Adam Brown (Southeast Polk, IA)

25. Hunter Kosco (Canal Fulton Northwest, OH)

26. Isaiah Perez (Dinuba, CA)

27. Tanner Cole (Deer Creek, OK)

28. Jack Skudlarczyk (Westlake, TX)

29. John Devine (Columbia, NY)

30. Steven Shields (Brother Martin, LA)

Special Mention:

Jacob Baird (Virgin Valley, NV)

Noah Bauer (Pine Island, MN)

T.J. Baun (Colville, WA)

Tanner Benedict (Layton, UT)

Jake Brewer (Commerce, GA)

Gage Byers (Green River, WY)

Harrison Campbell (West Brunswick, NC)

Nick Hara (Moses Lake, WA)

Scott Harris (South Anchorage, AK)

Heath Hartley (Nyssa, OR)

Robert LeFevre (Mason, MI)

Jordan Martinez (Pine Creek, CO)

Hunter Matney (Ponderosa, CO)

Ryan McElhaney (Bradley Central, TN)

Trevon Mejette (Oscar Smith, VA)

Brandon Meikel (Kearns, UT)

Rylee Molitor (Sartell-S. Stephen, MN)

Tanner Pasvogel (Sibley East, MN)

Nathan Rodriguez (Millard South, NE)

Mark Schleifer (East Brunswick, NJ)

Austin Shorey (Noble, ME)

Will Spexarth (Goddard, KS)

Adam Velasquez (Pitman, CA)

Andy Webb (Grundy, VA)

Tate Withington (Goodland, KS)

1. Daton Fix (Sand Springs, OK)

2. Austin Gomez (Glenbard North, IL)

3. Brian Courtney (Athens, PA)

4. Jose Tapia (Capital, NM)

5. Collin Valdiviez (Rockhurst, MO)

6. Alan Hart (St. Edward, OH)

7. Zach Sherman (Blair Academy, NJ)

8. Drew Marten (Tecumseh, MI)

9. Cole Manley (Altoona, PA)

10. Grant Willits (Pueblo County, CO)

11. Max Murin (Central Cambria, PA)

12. Drew Wilson (Midwest City, OK)

13. Brent Jones (Shakopee, MN)

14. Drew West (Highland Riverside, IA)

15. Tucker Sjomeling (Delano, MN)

16. Triston Lara (Fort Dodge, IA)

17. Jake Riegel (Wyoming Seminary, PA)

18. Gary Joint (Lemoore, CA)

19. Isaiah Palomino (Bellarmine Prep, CA)

20. Daniel Planta (St. Paul’s, MD)

21. Franco Valdes (Southwest Miami, FL)

22. Chandler Olson (Shippensburg, PA)

23. Breydan Bailey (Cathedral, IN)

24. Zander Silva (San Marino, CA)

25. Chris Deloza (Clovis North, CA)

26. Corey Secrist (Petersburg, WV)

27. Wilson Smith (Rocky Mount, NC)

28. Vanya Thomas (Mt. Carmel, IL)

29. Bennett Mesa (Roseburg, OR)

30. Bryce Sheffer (Union County, KY)

Special Mention:

Taylor Brown (Warrensburg, MO)

Andrew Burpee (Habersham, GA)

Brayden Curry (Sergeant-Bluff-Luton, IA)

Sawyer Degan (Belgrade, MT)

Hunter Dusold (Locust Valley, NY)

Idris Elias (Laramie, WY)

Jo Jo Gonzalez (Ellis Tech, CT)

Ean Hill (Live Oak, LA)

Dante Immediato (Middletown, DE)

Matt Kelley (Foxboro, MA)

Brawley Lamer (Crescent Valley, OR)

Travis Layton (Woodstown, NJ)

Christian Miller (Plainview, NE)

Conner Pirkle (Emerald, SC)

Devon Plaza (Dodge City, KS)

Clai Quintanilla (North Central, WA)

Tanner Reetz (Frazee, MN)

Joe Ritzen (Chadron, NE)

Aristotle Rockwell (Riverside, OR)

David Salazar (Sunnyside, AZ)

Keaten Schorr (Kasson-Mantorville, MN)

Stas Sutera (Canton, SD)

Bailor Thomason (Canyon Randall, TX)

Hayden Uhler (Camp Verde, AZ)

Tyler Waterson (Spearfish, SD)

1. Vito Arujau (Syosett, NY)

2. Nick Lee (Mater Dei, IN)

3. Kaden Gfeller (Heritage Hall, OK)

4. Tanner Litterell (Tuttle, OK)

5. Ben Freeman (Walled Lake Central, MI)

6. Tim Kane (Fairfield Warde, CT)

7. Kyran Hagen (Eureka, MO)

8. Corey Shie (Cincinnati LaSalle, OH)

9. Dalton Young (Lakeside, WA)

10. Zack Donathan (Mason, OH)

11. Dillan Rowland MacArthur, OK)

12. Zack Trampe (Council Rock South, PA)

13. Anthony Cheloni (Marmion Academy, IL)

14. Bradley Beaulieu (Marshwood, ME)

15. Keaton Geerts (New Hampton, IA)

16. Jakob Bergeland (Centennial, MN)

17. Alex Crowe (Shakopee, MN)

18. Corbin Smith (Wasatch, UT)

19. Paul Stuart (Andover, KS)

20. Garrett Aldrich (Albert Lea, MN)

21. John Pipa (Bishop McDevitt, PA)

22. Jared Donahue (Parkersburg, WV)

23. Tanner Skidgel (Cascia Hall, OK)

24. Dakota Galt (Beresford, SD)

25. Justin Davis (Pueblo County, CO)

26. Jarrod Brezovec (Aurora, OH)

27. Joseph Rossetti (Philips Exeter, NH)

28. Danny Bertoni (Middletown, MD)

29. Ethan Alphonso (Live Oak, LA)

30. Chase Archangelo (Smyrna, DE)

Special Mention:

Brady Barnett (Milan Edison, OH)

Abraham Bloom (Moses Brown, RI)

Robert Bozek (Oak Glen, WV)

Anthony Brito (Heritage, NC)

Robert Cleary (Edison, NJ)

Cole Clement (Holy Cross, LA)

Clayton Currier (Colstrip, MT)

Zach Eck (Andale, KS)

Ryan Farina (Corona del Sol, AZ)

Dalton Flint (Commerce, GA)

Camden Fontenot (Clear Lake, TX)

Morgan Fuenffinger (Hibbing, MN)

Jack Karstetter (Sand Springs, OK)

Shawn Kavadas (Oak Grove, MO)

Raynger Keckler (Logan, UT)

Nate Keim (Collinsville, OK)

Blaine Mainz (Jacksonville, NC)

Corbin Nirschl (Bashor-Linwood, KS)

Brenn Olson (GMLOKS, MN)

Mason Schulz (Bismarck Century, ND)

Noah Schoenherr (Bay City Western, MI)

Berit Sturgeon (Wasilla, AK)

Zachary Van Alst (Montgomery Catholic, AL)

Jaden Van Maanen (La Crosse Central, WI)

Austin Yant (Waverly-Shell Rock, IA)

1. Yianni Diakomihalis (Hilton, NY)

2. Chris Sandoval (Pueblo County, CO)

3. Navonte Demison (Bakersfield, CA)

4. Denton Spencer (Camden County, GA)

5. Alec Hagen (Eureka, MO)

6. Jaime Hernandez (Oak Park-River Forest, IL)

7. Moises Guillen (Perrysburg, OH)

8. Brik Filippo (Tuttle, OK)

9. Jacob Wright (Dinuba, CA)

10. Jaden Enriquez (Mission Oak, CA)

11. Eli King (Father Ryan, TN)

12. Ryan Leisure (Clear Lake, IA)

13. Zach Barnes (Southeast Polk, IA)

14. A.J. Leitten (Fort Mill, SC)

15. Nick Santos (St. Peters Prep, NJ)

16. Tristan Porsch (Hoxie, KS)

17. Sammy Eckhart (Fruitland, ID)

18. Reece Hughes (Hartland, MI)

19. Colin Cronin (Upper Darby, PA)

20. Jake Hinkson (North Allegheny, PA)

21. Tanner Smith (Mechanicsburg, OH)

22. Tylor Garcia (Dodge City, KS)

23. Ethan Krause (Georgetown Prep, MD)

24. Jake Martinez (Licking Valley, OH)

25. Knox Fuller (Bradley Central, TN)

26. Garrett Model (Stoughton, WI)

27. Avery Shay (New Fairfield, CT)

28. Lenny Petersen (Crystal Lake Central, IL)

29. Ethan Wendell (Liberty, OR)

30. Tyler Shilson (Centennial, MN)

Special Mention:

Eric Beck (LaSalle, OH)

Beau Bratcher (Sand Springs, OK)

Niko Chavez (Willard, MO)

Brandon Claye (Star Valley, WY)

Tyler Copeland (Wapakoneta, OH)

Quinn Devaney (McDonogh, MD)

Ethan Elijah (Lisbon, ND)

Austin Franklin (Brusly, LA)

Brendan Grammes (McLean, VA)

Joseph Green (Muscle Shoals, AL)

Riley Jacobs (Vandegrift, TX)

Colby Johnson (Burlington, KS)

Kendon Lee (Stillwater, OK)

Brody Lewis (Franklin, NE)

Jed Loveless (Payson, UT)

Jody McAlister (Morgan County, GA)

Jimmy McAuliffe (Reavis, IL)

Logan McKoy (Oakdale, MD)

Jack Mulay (Mount Carmel, IL)

Peter Nelson (St. Cloud Apollo, MN)

Tate Niederegger (Chinook, MT)

Riley Palmer (Council Rock South, PA)

Cooper Skinner (Bear River, UT)

Gavin Sutton (Richmond-Burton, IL)

Samuel Wolff (Wasilla, AK)

1. Cameron Coy (Penn-Trafford, PA)

2. Austin O’Connor (Chicago St. Rita, IL)

3. Jarod Verkleeren (Belle Vernon, PA)

4. Dominick Demas (Dublin Coffman, OH)

5. Eric Hong (Kiski Prep, PA)

6. Mekhi Lewis (Bound Brook, NJ)

7. Jake Brindley (Lake Highland Prep, FL)

8. Hunter Richard (Holland Patent, NY)

9. Ty Lucas (Plainview, OK)

10. Mason Wallace (Manhattan, KS)

11. Kameron Frame (Goddard, KS)

12. Conor Melbourne (John Jay, NY)

13. Nick Palumbo (Lenape Valley, NJ)

14. Jake Rando (Holy Cross, LA)

15. Wade Sullivan (Lakeville North, MN)

16. Jason Romero (Pomona, CO)

17. Brock Wilson (Nazareth, PA)

18. Greg Gaxiola (Buchanan, CA)

19. Evan Barczak (Monroe Woodbury, NY)

20. Ryan Monteiro (Minnechaug, MA)

21. Nathan Atienza (Livonia-Franklin, MI)

22. Nate Trepanier (Oconto Falls, WI)

23. Giullian Nakamatsu (Green Valley, NV)

24. Vincent Dolce (Seton Catholic, AZ)

25. Ryan Rochford (Rio Rancho, NM)

26. Trey Grenier (Olentangy Liberty, OH)

27. Anthony Scantlin (Mulvane, KS)

28. James Fisher (Centennial, ID)

29. Trent Johnson (Dike-New Hartford, IA)

30. Marc Zeckser (Adams Central, NE)

Special Mention:

Seth Baney (Huntington, PA)

Egan Berta (Lemont, IL)

Owen Brown (Commerce, GA)

Kevin Edwards (Avon Grove, PA)

Luis Enloe (Poway, CA)

Zach Garza (Dumas, TX)

Derek Gross (Norwalk St. Paul, OH)

David Hollingsworth (Owings Mills, MD)

Kody Komara (Freedom, PA)

Caleb Kuhn (North Marion, WV)

Brennen Landry (North Vermillion, LA)

Brad Laughlin (Yorktown, IN)

Jack Maki (Andover, KS)

Noah North (Lugoff-Elgin, SC)

Braedon Orrino (Central Valley, WA)

Brock Port (Bellefonte, PA)

Dew Rogers (North Pole, AK)

Michael Ross (Foran, CT)

Landon Thompson (Southside-Gadsden, AL)

Jaden Winchel (Sparta, WI)

1. Quentin Hovis (Seton Catholic, AZ)

2. Stephan Glasgow (Bound Brook, NJ)

3. Jake Allar (St. Michael-Albertville, MN)

4. Travis Stefanik (Nazareth, PA)

5. Devin Bahr (West Salem/Bangor, WI)

6. Luke Troy (Martin Luther King, CA)

7. Hunter Willits (Pueblo County, CO)

8. Georgio Poullas (Canfield, OH)

9. Parker Filius (Havre, MT)

10. Lane Stigall (North Marion, OR)

11. Jesse Beverly (Delta, OH)

12. Nick Kiussis (Brunswick, OH)

13. Trevell Timmons (Lockport, IL)

14. Joseph Messer (Norman North, OK)

15. Elijah Tanner (Collinsville, OK)

16. Hunter Shelton (Oak Park, MO)

17. Ryan Ferro (Warwick Valley, NY)

18. Kendall Frame (Goddard, KS)

19. Kam Bush (Grandville, MI)

20. Mason Kauffman (Stratford, WI)

21. Andrew Meyers (Toms River East, NJ)

22. Dominick Mandarino (Don Bosco Prep, NJ)

23. Trent Pruitt (Warren Central, IN)

24. Sean Sterling (Dundee, MI)

25. Collin Lieber (Crosswell-Lexington, MI)

26. Avery Dinardi (Holy Cross, NJ)

27. Zach Axmear (English Valleys, IA)

28. Jake Discher (Wasatch, UT)

29. Joseph Foret (Holy Cross, LA)

30. Robert Doetsch (Dundalk, MD)

Special Mention:

Brandon Bautista, (Sussex Central, DE)

Konner Beeter (Bishop Ryan, ND)

Blake Beitz (Parkston, SD)

Geordan Blanton (Johnson Central, KY)

Will Britain (Cambridge, GA)

John Cruz (North Port, FL)

Dylan Geick (Stevenson, IL)

Tommy Harvey (Lowell, OR)

Michael Hummer (Savannah, MO)

Trajan Hurd (Grants Pass, OR)

Brendan Lamey (Sanford, DE)

Drew Loberg (Randolph, NE)

Brandon Martino (Clovis, CA)

Luciano Mendocino (Granville, OH)

Aidan Monteverdi (Seton Hall Prep, NJ)

Bailee O’Reilly (Goodhue, MN)

Jordan Robison (Frisco Liberty, TX)

Bradon Roen (Riverdale, WI)

GioVonne Sanders (Jeannette, PA)

Pat Schoenfelder (Antioch, IL)

John Stawinski (Essex, VT)

Cody Surratt (Wadsworth, OH)

Liam Williams (Desert Hills, UT)

Timmy Woo (Homer, AK)

Valen Wyse (Hermiston, OR)

1. Brady Berge (Kasson-Mantorville, MN)

2. Layne Van Anrooy (Roseburg, OR)

3. Kaleb Romero (Mechanicsburg, OH)

4. Kyle Lawson (Olentangy Liberty, OH)

5. Kyle Cochran (Paramas, NJ)

6. Hunter Bolen (Christiansburg, VA)

7. Bryce Rogers (Lake Highland Prep, FL)

8. Jaron Chavez (Centennial, ID)

9. Max Wohlabaugh (Winter Springs, FL)

10. Sammy Cokeley (St. James Academy, KS)

11. Sam Loera (Bakersfield, CA)

12. Jackson Hemauer (DeForest, WI)

13. Hampton Boyd (Poway, CA)

14. Max Andreoni (Woodford County, KY)

15. Pete Isais (Pine Creek, CO)

16. Jason Hoffman (Hadley, NY)

17. Isaiah Johnson (A.L. Brown, NC)

18. Dale Tiongson (St. Paul’s, MD)

19. Burk Van Horn (Franklin, IN)

20. Jarod Swank (Penn, IN)

21. Brandon Konecny (Seton Catholic, AZ)

22. Bunmi Smith (Camden County, GA)

23. D.J. Coleman (Millard North, NE)

24. Johnny Mologousis (Lyons, IL)

25. Jamar Williams (South Carroll, MD)

26. Mitch Willett (Redmond, OR)

27. Bryan McLaughlin (Woodbridge, NJ)

28. Hayden Hastings (Sheridan, WY)

29. Shawn Mosca (Carle Place/Wheatley, NY)

30. Michael Carpenter (St. Edward, OH)

Special Mention:

Christian Bahl (Stillwater, OK)

Ty Bagoly (Exeter Twp., PA)

Alston Bane (Richmond, IN)

Luke Brandon (Bentonville, AR)

Dawson Budke (Chugiak, AK)

Connor Charping (Trenton, MI)

Josh Doherty (West Jefferson, OH)

Judah Duhm (McCallie, TN)

Richard Govea (Volcano Vista, NM)

Patrick Griffin (Beaverhead, MT)

Luke Hastings (Hillsboro/Central Valley, ND)

Aryus Jones (Junction City, KS)

Cory Lawson (Cape Henlopen, DE)

Zaki Mohsin (Thomas Edison, VA)

Trevor Nelson (Solon, IA)

Ty Purler (Francis Howell, MO)

Hunter Queen (Northwood, NC)

Matthew Sells (Blackman, TN)

Tucker Tomlinson (Uintah, UT)

Christian Walden (Aitline, LA)

1. Mikey Labriola (Bethlehem Catholic, PA)

2. Louie DePrez (Hilton, NY)

3. Nino Bonaccorsi (Bethel Park, PA)

4. Jelani Embree (Warren Lincoln, MI)

5. Anthony Mantanona (Palm Desert, CA)

6. Chase Schiltz (Creston, IA)

7. Marcus Coleman (Ames, IA)

8. Jacob Oliver (Huntingdon, PA)

9. Andrew Berreyesa (Reno, NV)

10. Ethan Smith (Aberdeen, MD)

11. Clay Lautt (St. James Academy, KS)

12. Casey Cornett (Simon Kenton, KY)

13. Tyler Morland (Detroit CC, MI)

14. Shane Sosinsky (Northern Highlands, NJ)

15. Rolliann Sturkey (Oak Park-River Forest, IL)

16. Ritchie Heywood (Wasatch, UT)

17. Aidan Pasiuk (Carrollton, OH)

18. Kordell Norfleet (Marian Catholic, IL)

19. Cade Belshay (Buchanan, CA)

20. Jaxon Van Tassell (Salem Hills, UT)

21. Zach Steiner (Norwayne, OH)

22. Owen Pentz (Morgan, UT)

23. A.J. Pedro (Phillips Exeter, MA)

24. George Walton (Bound Brook, NJ)

25. Jacob Hart (Independence, WV)

26. Ryan Duffy (South St. Paul, MN)

27. Alex Kauffman (Vinita, OK)

28. Tanner Johnson (Tuttle, OK)

29. Joey Andrassy (Stow-Monroe Falls, OH)

30. Brit Wilson (Mexico, MO)

Special Mention:

Joe Accousti (Newtown, CT)

Bridger Anderson (Carrington, ND)

Brad Bell (Okmulgee, OK)

Adrian Brown (John McClellan, AR)

Ben Crews (Stevensville, MT)

Carter Davis (St. Christopher’s, VA)

Cole Draper (Mohawk, OH)

Jared Florell (Totino Grace, MN)

Robert Haan (Colony, AK)

Evan Hackett (Allen, TX)

Alex Jones (Wadsworth, OH)

Cade Lackey (Social Circle, GA)

Carless Looney (Laramie, WY)

Jesse Nunez (Garden City, KS)

Billy Pitzner (Milton, WI)

Jacob Rader (Bismarck Century, ND)

David Riojas (Chicago Mt. Carmel, IL)

Brooks Schrimsher (Huntsville, AL)

Will Spencer (Arab, AL)

Dale Spilman (Mandan, ND)

Antonio Stewart (Camden County, GA)

Nathan Suwyn (Mountain Ridge, AZ)

Daniel Thompson (Lake Odessa-Lakewood, MI)

Jared Walker (Lakeland, ID)

Myles Wilson (Glenwood Springs, CO)

1. Jacob Warner (Washington, IL)

2. Patrick Brucki (Carl Sandburg, IL)

3. Brandon Kui (DePaul Catholic, NJ)

4. Jake Woodley (North Allegheny, PA)

5. James Handwerk (Lutheran West, OH)

6. Andrew Davison (Chesterton, IN)

7. Casey Randles (Sandpoint, ID)

8. Anthony Falbo (Newtown, CT)

9. John Borst (Sherando, VA)

10. Caleb Little (Jefferson, GA)

11. Chasen Blair (Rancho Bernardo, CA)

12. Robbie Bowers (Defiance, OH)

13. Matthew Waddell (Gilmer, GA)

14. Khamari Whimper (Baylor, TN)

15. Ashton Seely (Juab, UT)

16. Bear Hughes (Coweta, OK)

17. Max Lyon (Western Dubuque, IA)

18. Drew Peck (Chambersburg, PA)

19. Brenden McRill (Davison, MI)

20. Jack Peru (Falconer, NY)

21. Luke Funck (Northern Lebanon, PA)

22. Kaden Russell (St. Ignatius, OH)

23. Dylan Komperda (Francis Howell, MO)

25. Elias Vaolfi (Fort Osage, MO)

25. Jesse Shearer (West Fargo, ND)

26. Trevor Nichelson (Ashland-Greenwood, NE)

27 David Eli (Elkhart Memorial, IN)

28. Kameron Bornbach (Stratford, WI)

29. Jase Stokes (Havre, MT)

30. Bubba Arslanian (Aurora, OH)

Special Mention:

Isaac Bartel (Mason City, IA)

J.T. Brown (Elyria, OH)

Cole Chancey (Commerce, GA)

Nick Cooper (Springport, MI)

Cale Davidson (Goddard, KS)

Hunter DeLong (Parkersburg South, WV)

Josiah Gittman (St. Thomas Aquinas, FL)

Josh Hammers (Mazama, OR)

John Harris (Rockingham County, NC)

Mark Inglehart (Allen, TX)

Chayse Loveless (Payson, UT)

Dominic Maniero (Queen of Peace, NJ)

Soren McDaniel (Lisbon, ND)

Tage McNutt (Benton, MO)

Joseph Miller (Salesianum, DE)

Dawson Nash (Colony, AK)

Randin Pentz (North Summit, UT)

Robert Razo (Green Valley, NV)

Logan Richie (Webster, SD)

Grant Safford (Point Pleasant, WV)

Tyler Stepic (St. Edward, OH)

Joseph White (Glennallen, AK)

Matt Wroblewski (Prospect, IL)

1. Chase Singletary (Blair Academy, NJ)

2. Jake Boyd (Smithville, MO)

3. Noah Adams (Independence, WV)

4. Jacob Raschka (Pewaukee, WI)

5. Chei Hill (South Dade, FL)

6. Zane Black (Phelps School, PA)

7. Slade Sifuentes (Lake Mills, IA)

8. Tristen Tonte (Warren Central, IN)

9. Justin Allman (Parkersburg South, WV)

10. Haydn Maley (Roseburg, OR)

11. Matt McKenzie (Wall Twp., NJ)

12. Aaron Naples (Brunswick, OH)

13. Colton Wolfe (Columbus, NE)

14. Jeffrey Allen (Amherst County, VA)

15. Noah Bushman (Cave Spring, VA)

16. Dylan Prince (Pittsburgh, KS)

17. Joe Marcano (Brandon, FL)

18. Jared Roehl (Millington, MI)

19. Brandon Moen (Owatonna, MN)

20. Adrian Godinez (Foothill, CA)

21. Danny Salas (St. John Bosco, CA)

22. Trenton Schultz (Mountain Vista, CO)

23. Brock Martin (Oologah, OK)

24. Blake Reynolds (Greenville, PA)

25. Noah Ryan (Kasson-Mantorville, MN)

26. George Bessette (Antioch, IL)

27. Noah Sims (Centennial, TX)

28. Anthony Capul (Andale, KS)

29. John Kelbly (Smithville, OH)

30. Skyler Haynes (Broken Arrow, OK)

Special Mention:

Pete Abraham (Padua Franciscan, OH)

Payson Anderton (Snake River, ID)

Tony Banister (Wauseon, OH)

Jackson Berck (Francis Howell Central, MO)

Will Bolanz (Waterloo, OH)

Caleb Brandt (Wolsey-Wessington, SD)

Deric Cruz (Mesa Ridge, CO)

Alex Goergen (Caledonia/Houston, MN)

Eli Grape (Upper St. Clair, PA)

Sam Grove (Moorhead, MN)

Dalton Hahn (Reedsburg, WI)

Landon Hall (Wapakoneta, OH)

John Henry Line (Hermiston, OR)

Chad Porter (Desert Vista, AZ)

Carlin Powell (Hilgrove, GA)

Braxton Roberson (Berea, SC)

Kavan Sarver (St. Paris Graham, OH)

Eddie Smith (Belton-Honea Path, SC)

Ben Stewart (Cathedral, IN)

Chase Teiken (West Fargo, ND)

Micah Tynanes-Perez (Campbell, HI)

Xavier Vigil (St. Michael’s, NM)

Benton Whitley (Minnechaug, MA)

Jordan Will (Bishop Ryan, ND)

1. Dylan Meeks (Dr. Phillips, FL)

2. Jared Campbell (St. Edward, OH)

3. Wyatt Wriedt (North Scott, IA)

4. Quinn Miller (Archer, GA)

5. Seth Janney (Malvern Prep, PA)

6. Cole Nye (Bishop McDevitt, PA)

7. Nick Mosco (Blair Academy, NJ)

8. Kayne Hutcheson (Pittsburg, KS)

9. Gunnar Larson (Avon, IN)

10. Evan Ellis (Greentown, IN)

11. Robert Melise (Phillipsburg, NJ)

12. Ben Sullivan (National Trail, OH)

13. Brandon Closson (Pleasant Grove, UT)

14. Darryl Aiello (De La Salle, CA)

15. Brady Daniel (Good Counsel, MD)

16. Brian Barnes (McMinnville, OR)

17. Ryan Mills (Huntington, WV)

18. Terron Robinson (Walt Whitman, NY)

19. Tommy Williams (Pleasant Hill, MO)

20. Rocky Lombardi (WDM Valley, IA)

21. Evan Foster (St. Michael-Albertville, MN)

22. Tyler Collier (Clovis, CA)

23. Tyler Fenwick (Mount Hope, RI)

24. Brandon Musselman (Webb City, MO)

25. Ricky Ayala (Sheridan, CO)

26. Keith Medley (Caravel, DE)

27. Brandon Reed (Iroquois, KY)

28. Chris Henderson (Ridgeland, GA)

29. Diata Drayton (Marist, IL)

30. Sean Mullican (Middletown, MD)

Special Mention:

Noah Broderson (Davenport Assumption, IA)

Evan Callahan (Freedom, PA)

Estevan Chavez (Belen, NM)

Jake Dudeck (Lincoln-Way Central, IL)

Levi Duwa (Mid Prairie-Wellman, IA)

James Edwards (Vestavia Hills, AL)

Ben Frye (Dublin Coffman, OH)

Tyler Gideon (Burwell, NE)

Hunter Halverson (Del Oro, CA)

Zach Heese (Battle Montain, NV)

Reece Human (Carlisle, OH)

Devon Kozel (Bangor, MI)

Victor Lacombre (Hunderton Central, NJ)

Zach Matthews (Lumpkin County, GA)

Darian Mitchell (Barbe, LA)

Hunter Mycke (Conrad, MT)

Mason Rabel (Dunham, LA)

Harris Sutton Cabot, AR)

Connor Webb (Davis, OK)

Henry Willoughby (Steele, TX)

1. Kevin Vough (Elyria, OH)

2. Trent Hillger (Lake Fenton, MI)

3. Eric Chakonis (Don Bosco, NJ)

4. Brandon Metz (West Fargo, ND)

5. Kyron Taylor (South Dade, FL)

6. Levi Seabolt (Gilmer, GA)

7. Sammy Evans (Alcoa, TN)

8. Nick Jenkins (Detroit CC, MI)

9. Mansur Abdul-Malik (St. Vincent Pallotti, MD)

10. Nick Boykin (Riverdale, TN)

11. Brian Andrews (Grapevine, TX)

12. Niko Camacho (Bethlehem Catholic, PA)

13. Aaron Costello (Western Dubuque, IA)

14. Pablo Miller (Del Oro, CA)

15. Gavin Nye (Corning, CA)

16. Gage Johnson (Norman North, OK)

17. Marlon Tuipotlu (Central, OR)

18. Brady Reigstad (Willmar, MN)

19. Trenton Lieurance (Broken Arrow, OK)

20. Keith Dunnagan (Crowley County, CO)

21. Blaize Beltran (Pewaukee, WI)

22. Creed Humphrey (Shawnee, OK)

23. Sammy DeSeriere (Mullen, CO)

24. Andrew Tanner (Adirondack, NY)

25. Zach Muller (Downers Grove South, IL)

26. Tyler Clark (Clinton, IA)

27. Robert Samuels (Lawrence North, IN)

28. Landin Jones (North Oldham, KY)

29. Michael Easterling (Canyon Ridge, ID)

30. Osiris Tapia (Nyssa, OR)

Special Mention:

Truman Ashes (Webster, SD)

Jake Baker (Tallassee, AL)

Seth Braun (Bismarck Century, ND)

Jared Brinkman (Regina, IA)

Dylan D’Amore (Montgomery, NJ)

Corey Dublin (Jesuit, LA)

Brendan Furman (Canon-McMillan, PA)

Hunter Hicks (Cabell Midland, WV)

Nick Holman (Jefferson, GA)

Tyson Kauffman (Stratford, WI)

Nathan Kern (Worland, WY)

Eddie Miler (Brookings, SD)

Eldon Picou (Manhattan, KS)

Justin Pfeifer (Cut Bank, MT)

Brandon Pili (Dimond, AK)

Marshall Pinard (Sustina Valley, AK)

Bradee Schroeder (Carrington, ND)

Dayne Thompson (Blackwell, OK)

Jordan Tucker (Green River, WY)

Brett Walker (Delta, UT)

Edited by Sommers

Kentucky Press...

Several Tennessee grapplers heading to Campbellsville...

http://www.victorysportsnetwork.com/Clip/news/campbellsville-mens-wrestling-adds-six-more-to-2016-17-signing-class.htm

CAMPBELLSVILLE, Ky. — The latest addition to the Campbellsville University men's wrestling program has been released, head coach Franky Jamesannounced this weekend.

James has brought in a total of 17 new Tigers to hit the mat for the 2016-17 season and with his second wave of signees, he has added several state champions.

The latest additions are Logan Erdman, Angel Vasquez, Donnie Beyer Jr, Michael Diemer, Derrico Burns and James Hughes.

"I'm excited about this group of signees and happy these young men chose Campbellsville to further their careers," said James. "All of these signees are talented wrestlers and quality people, I know they will represent us well on and off the mat."

A look at the latest signees:

Donnie Beyer Jr., Cleveland, Tenn. (Bradley HS): Beyer wrestled for head coach Ben Smith and won a state championship for powerhouse Bradley High School. Smith competed on the 2002 Southern Conference Championship team at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga coached by Frank James. Beyer was the 160-pound state champion as a senior and placed fifth as a Junior. Beyer helped the Bears claim the Tennessee Team state title in 2016 and also competed at the NHSCA Senior Nationals.

"I'm really excited about getting one of Coach Smith's guys here with us," said James. "Donnie is very talented. If he has the work ethic and attitude that Ben Smith had in college, he will be very successful here at CU."

Logan Erdman, Walton. Ky. (Ryle HS): Erdman is a state champion and three-time Kentucky state placer. He finished his prep career with first, second and third-place finishes at the state tournament. Erdman won a state title his junior year in dominating fashion, a tech-fall in the first period to claim the title. He was also a state runner-up his sophomore year and finished third his senior year. He was a three-time regional champion and four-time state Qualifier with a record of 205-28. Erdman finished with the second-most wins in Ryle history, while also competing in several national events and working his way to Kentucky Fargo team member three times.

James Hughes, Nashville, Tenn. (Stratford HS): Hughes was a three-time state placer with a third, second and fourth place finish in the Tennessee State Tournament. Hughes finished his senior season with a 46-4 record. He was also first on the All Mid-State team and a three-time region champion for Coach Copeland at Stratford High School.

Angel Vasquez, Lexington KY (Lafayette HS): Vasquez is another student-athlete that had a great prep career. At Lafayette High School he was a state champion, three-time state finalist, four-time state placer and a four-time region champion. Vasquez was a team captain his senior year and finished with over 150 wins. He also competed at senior nationals and was a NHSCA All-American.

Michael Diemer, Maryville, Tenn. (Heritage HS): Diemer was a state runner-up for Coach Jerry Teaster at Heritage High School and a three-time Tennessee state placer. He capped his senior season with a team-high 49 wins. In addition, Diemer was also a three-time regional champion and finished with a career record of 141-29 with 54 pins. Diemer also competed at the NHSCA senior nationals.

Derrico Burns, Antioch, Tenn. (Stratford STEM Magnet HS): Burns was 2016 Tennessee state placer for Coach Fred Copeland. He was also a 2016 regional placer and finished his senior year with a record of 42-9. Derrico plans to major in Business.

These six student-athletes will join 11 other signees that were announced earlier in May: Adrian Camposano (Fresno City College), Jayce Carr (Cleveland State University), Eseban Remillard (Spring Hill, Tenn.), Hunter Hancock (Spring Hill, Tenn.), Trey Lepper (Knoxville, Tenn.), Josh Vance (Greeneville, Tenn.), Aaron Rugnao (Stockton, Calif.), Kolten Radaz (Freeland, Mich.), Paris Howell (Norfolk, Va.), Colin Coy (Cynthiana, Ky.) and Jordan Monroe (Burlington, Ky.).

-------------------------

Well done article...

In Oregon that may forecast the growth of future wrestling nationally considering continued momentum for women's sports, title 9, and pursuing whatever your desire. (Overall Acceptance... "Bathroom use equality for all" not with standing, seems to be the trend)....

"Wrestling, generally acknowledged as the oldest sport, has been battling to remain relevant – and alive – for a long time.

Three years ago wrestling was dropped from the Olympics, only to receive a reprieve.

When Portland State cut wrestling in 2009, it was the 670th college in the nation to do so, according to the National Wrestling Coaches Association, leaving Oregon with five colleges that had teams, down from 23 in the 1970s.

“When those levels above the high school level were dropping programs, there was less incentive for those kids,†OSAA Assistant Executive Director Brad Garrett said.

Nationally, there were 258,208 boys wrestling in the 2014-15 school year, a drop of over 20 percent from 335,160 in 1976-77, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations."

Six states – Alaska, California, Hawaii, Tennessee, Texas and Washington – sanction a high school state championship for girls.

There were 249 girls certified to wrestle in Oregon in the 2015-16 season, an increase of 103 from the previous year and three times the 81 who wrestled in 2005-06.

Washington added a girls division to its state tournament in 2006-07 when it had 281 girls competing in the state. That number grew to 1,123 in 2014-15.

Nationally, there were 11,496 girls wrestling in high school in 2014-15, compared with 783 in 1993-94, according to the NWCA.

The push to include more girls may have started as a way to preserve the sport for boys, but the girls' side has grown faster than expected.

Since 2008, the OSAA has allowed girls to wrestle exhibition state championship matches at its state tournament. Those matches notoriously occur at times when there are few fans watching.

When a girl qualifies for both the regular state tournament and for the girls exhibition tournament, she is given the option of competing in one of them.

Under the OSAA rules that were changed in April, the state organization could add a girls division to the existing state tournament, starting next season.

According to the National Wrestling Coaches Association, over 130 colleges have started or restarted wrestling teams since 2002. There now are more than 340 college men’s wrestling programs.

Of the 27 colleges that had women’s teams last year, all of them had men’s wrestling and many of those colleges started men’s programs alongside the women’s.

That has provided more opportunities for male wrestlers to compete in college.

With far more high school wrestlers being boys – .04 percent of high school wrestlers are girls – there also is a greater chance for a girl to wrestle in college.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/05/28/womens-wrestling-experiencing-exponential-growth/84501908/

Women's wrestling experiencing exponential growth

THERE WERE 11,496 GIRLS IN THE NATION COMPETING AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL IN 2014-15

Bill Poehler, Statesman JournalSkip

RETURN TO TOPCHAPTER 6

CHAPTERSSHARE

Sophomore Kiera Gabaldon, facing, wrestles teammate Breanne Diaz during more

ANNA REED / Statesman Journal

Introduction

Warner Pacific College sophomore Kiera Gabaldon, a North Salem graduate, earned All-American status this season.

ANNA REED / Statesman Journal

A decade before Kiera Gabaldon was a college All-American wrestler, she was an elementary school student competing in a male sport.

When a high school near her home in Salem held a wrestling camp, she went. Among the other participants was a high school girl who had made a name for herself as a wrestler.

Gabaldon didn’t approve.

“When I was younger I had the same mindset boys did: Girls shouldn’t be here, not realizing what I was,†said Gabaldon, now a sophomore at Warner Pacific.

The 10-year-old version of Gabaldon matched up with that comparatively sized high school girl in the practice room, took her down with ease and threw her around the room.

“Wrestling with (her) and beating up on her, I’m like, is that wrestling like a girl?†Gabaldon said. “I don’t want to wrestle like a girl.

“Obviously, that mindset has changed. It’s something to be proud of to wrestle like a girl today, but back then it wasn’t. I guess I was ashamed of myself as a kid to be a women’s wrestler.â€

In the past 10 years, Gabaldon has gone on to be a multi-time state champion wrestler at North Salem High School in girls tournaments. She placed fourth in her weight class at this year’s Women’s College Nationals.

Though wrestling remains a male-dominated sport, female participation has grown exponentially at all levels — and could bring the change that saves the sport.

“Wrestling needs all the help it can get. We all know that,†West Salem wrestling coach Mikey Baker said. “We’re always still going to be fighting the, 'Are they going to cut it?'

“I like it. I’m not against it. It’s just different and I’m OK with it. I’m OK with something new and a little bit of a change.â€

Chapter 2

SPORT STRUGGLES TO SURVIVE

Wrestling, generally acknowledged as the oldest sport, has been battling to remain relevant – and alive – for a long time.

Three years ago wrestling was dropped from the Olympics, only to receive a reprieve.

When Portland State cut wrestling in 2009, it was the 670th college in the nation to do so, according to the National Wrestling Coaches Association, leaving Oregon with five colleges that had teams, down from 23 in the 1970s.

“When those levels above the high school level were dropping programs, there was less incentive for those kids,†OSAA Assistant Executive Director Brad Garrett said.

Nationally, there were 258,208 boys wrestling in the 2014-15 school year, a drop of over 20 percent from 335,160 in 1976-77, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations.

However, women’s wrestling is growing.

Sweet Home's Marissa Kurtz, bottom, and Thurston's Macie Stewart wrestle in an more

DANIELLE PETERSON / Statesman Journal

Twenty-seven colleges – four in Oregon – fielded women’s intercollegiate teams this season and 14 had club teams. Eastern Oregon University and Grays Harbor College in Aberdeen, Washington, are adding teams next season.

Six states – Alaska, California, Hawaii, Tennessee, Texas and Washington – sanction a high school state championship for girls.

There were 249 girls certified to wrestle in Oregon in the 2015-16 season, an increase of 103 from the previous year and three times the 81 who wrestled in 2005-06.

Nationally, there were 11,496 girls wrestling in high school in 2014-15, compared with 783 in 1993-94, according to the NWCA.

The push to include more girls may have started as a way to preserve the sport for boys, but the girls' side has grown faster than expected.

“Wrestling being the toughest sport, it’s hard to force people to do, but I think just the opportunity being there, the willing and able bodies will find their way in there, and that’s all we need is the bodies in there and we’ll transform them into champions, whether it’s a girl or a guy,†North Salem coach Andy Pickett said.

Chapter 3

GIRLS STARTED BY TAKING ON BOYS

Girls have been wrestling at the high school level as far back as 1980 in the United States, but in order to do so, those pioneering girls had to wrestle exclusively against boys.

Each year, more regular season wrestling tournaments have been added for girls. But for a girl to compete in a high school dual meet – especially in Oregon – she usually will wrestle a boy.

In the current weight monitoring system at the high school level, boys have a distinct advantage. They are allowed to compete at 7 percent body fat, while girls must be at 12 percent.

Girls wrestling against boys has always been a sticky issue.

“Wrestling girls it’s always harder because girls are mean, period,†said McNary freshman Brooke Burrows, who placed fourth in the girls state tournament this year. “And so we get scrappy with each other, and it’s always a little bit harder with girls, I think, because they’re about the same muscle.

“They’re close to your weight, closer than the guys usually are, and they don’t think less of you.â€

Some coaches have taken the hard line that girls should never compete against boys. Most have been more accepting.

Julie Kirk in 2007.

Statesman Journal file

Over a decade ago McKay coach Rick Herrin welcomed a girl, Julie Kirk, to his team.

It is not a coincidence that current McKay coach Troy Thomas and North Salem’s Pickett were teammates with Kirk in high school.

Nor is it a coincidence that McKay had four girls on its team this year.

Thomas and Pickett have both been proponents of girls wrestling.

“I think for a lot of coaches, it’s easier not to have girls on the team rather than have a girl because you've got to make a lot of special accommodations for a girl,†Pickett said.

“I think people are just more willing to accept it now. The expansion of the girls state tournament has really helped that. And that’s just going to keep growing, from what it looks like. This year they had the girls qualifier. It was huge. They had over 150 girls.â€

It wasn’t long ago that coaches would choose to forfeit matches when one of their boys was matched against a girl.

“That was almost standard operating procedure,†McNary coach Jason Ebbs said. “That’s kind of wavered into a concept of individual choice now.

“There’s still people – boys, moms, dads, pick your value group – there’s still somebody out there that says, 'I don’t want my son to wrestle a girl.' That’s probably the most common voice I hear. From what I gather, there’s not many girls who say, I refuse to wrestle a boy.'â€

Chapter 4

STATE COULD ADD GIRLS TOURNAMENT

The OSAA high school state wrestling finals at Memorial Coliseum in 2015.

ANNA REED / Statesman Journal file

Since 2008, the OSAA has allowed girls to wrestle exhibition state championship matches at its state tournament. Those matches notoriously occur at times when there are few fans watching.

When a girl qualifies for both the regular state tournament and for the girls exhibition tournament, she is given the option of competing in one of them.

Under the OSAA rules that were changed in April, the state organization could add a girls division to the existing state tournament, starting next season.

Another option would be adding girls wrestling as a sanctioned team sport, but that could take decades for enough schools to add full teams to gain sanctioning.

“You wouldn’t have to have a girls and boys team. You would have a team that’s consisted of girls and boys,†Garrett said. “Hopefully by doing that, that will encourage more young ladies to participate, which is ultimately the end goal, create an opportunity for those kids.â€

Chapter 5

FANS CHEER FOR WOMEN WRESTLERS

When Gabaldon walked into the Women's College Wrestling Association nationals in Oklahoma in February, she saw how far her sport has come.

Six mats were full of college women while bloodthirsty fans cheered and wanted more.

Gabaldon had found her place.

“I was kind of just in awe because I saw six full-sized mats and just females justwrestling on them, and I was in shock for a little bit,†she said. “I can’t believe how big this is now.

“And then obviously I got ready and said, "I got to go whoop on them.'â€

Chapter 6

OPPORTUNITY IN COLLEGE

The benefit of women's wrestling has been felt on the men’s side of the sport.

According to the National Wrestling Coaches Association, over 130 colleges have started or restarted wrestling teams since 2002. There now are more than 340 college men’s wrestling programs.

Of the 27 colleges that had women’s teams last year, all of them had men’s wrestling and many of those colleges started men’s programs alongside the women’s.

That has provided more opportunities for male wrestlers to compete in college.

With far more high school wrestlers being boys – .04 percent of high school wrestlers are girls – there also is a greater chance for a girl to wrestle in college.

“I can tell you if you’re a female wrestler, you have a better chance of getting a scholarship than a male wrestler, absolutely,†said Warner Pacific coach Frank Johnson, who was the coach at Pacific when it became the first NCAA college to add women’s wrestling in 2000.

“That’s just the way it is because it’s an emerging sport.â€

In 1993, the University of Minnesota-Morris became the first U.S. college to sponsor women’s wrestling as a varsity sport.

The NCAA has a classification for emerging sports – ones that are increasing in size and are on the fast track to being sanctioned – but women's wrestling is still far short of having the needed 20 NCAA colleges offering the sport to be classified as an emerging sport.

Many of the colleges that offer it are small liberal arts colleges. Some give out scholarships, but the four NCAA Division III schools that have teams don’t.

“I think even with those local schools that are strong academic schools, oh wait, they just started a team, they’re not going to have a ton of girls just knocking down the door because it’s a newer thing,†West Salem wrestling coach Mikey Baker said.

Chapter 7

SETTING THE FOUNDATION

Destiny Rodriguez (left) of Keizer has her hand raised after defeating a boy in a wrestling tournament.

Brian Mount | Special to the Statesman Journal

When Israel Rodriguez wrestled at Silverton High School through his senior year in 2001, one of his teammates wrestled a girl who competed for Tualatin and lost.

The coaching staff was brutal.

“You lost to a girl. How do you lose to a girl?†Rodriguez remembers the coaches yelling at his teammate.

“It was like out of this world, you know,†Rodriguez said. “How does a boy lose to a girl? I remember that. I remember them reaming the kid, almost making him quit. But she was tough. It was like, holy crap.â€

That high school girl wrestling for Tualatin, Samantha Lang, went on to be an accomplished wrestler at the national level and is now an assistant coach at Warner Pacific.

Rodriguez sees first-hand the change in attitudes among those in wrestling.

His daughter, Destiny, has become a prodigy.

The 11-year-old, a fifth-grader at Keizer Elementary, practices almost exclusively against boys at the elite All-Phase Wrestling Club. She competes against boys and girls at national tournaments.

Destiny easily won the girls bracket at the prestigious Reno Worlds in April and placed second against boys.

She says that when she wrestles against girls in tournaments, it’s easier.

But she likes it better when she wrestles boys, especially the ones she beats.

“Because sometimes they cry,†Destiny said.

Chapter 8

ESTABLISHING SANCTIONING

Sweet Home's Marissa Kurtz, top, wrestles Thurston's Macie Stewart in an more

DANIELLE PETERSON / Statesman Journal

The model most likely to work for Oregon in getting girls wrestling at the high school level sanctioned by the OSAA has worked well nearby.

Washington added a girls division to its state tournament in 2006-07 when it had 281 girls competing in the state. That number grew to 1,123 in 2014-15.

“I think we’re years and years away from matching the numbers of boys, but I think if we can just open the door for the girls to come in and get things started, I think after a while it will start to gradually start to increase its numbers,†Central athletic director Shane Hedrick said.

Texas and Hawaii are among the six states that sanction separate state championships for girls, but those states also prohibit girls from wrestling boys.

More youth wrestling programs are accepting girls, and the growth in girls wrestling at the younger levels is a promising sign.

When middle school wrestling was added back in the Salem-Keizer public schools this year, there was significant participation from girls.

“At McKay, we hosted the Waldo-Adam Stephens dual meet and I want to say there wasa good 30 percent of their wrestlers were girls on both sides, at Waldo and at Adam Stephens,†McKay coach Troy Thomas said.

“I think it’s definitely something that in the near future you’re going to see the numbers start to skyrocket on that.â€

bpoehler@StatesmanJournal.com, 503-399-6701 or Twitter.com/bpoehler

Edited by Sommers

Congrats to an outstanding McCallie Blue wrestler choosing to stay close to home at a higher school of learning and join a highly successful wrestling team...

McCallie's Will Patton Signs With Cumberland University

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/6/3/325422/McCallie-s-Will-Patton-Signs-With.aspx

2015 State Champ To Wrestle For Phoenix

Friday, June 3, 2016 - by Dennis Norwood

Pic

McCallie's Will Patton signed scholarship papers Friday morning to wrestle at Cumberland University in Lebanon, Tenn. Patton was the 2015 TSSAA champion in the 152-pound classification.

- photo by Dennis Norwood

On his college recruiting page McCallie’s Will Patton is quoted as saying, “I have always dreamed of wrestling in college.â€

That dream is now a reality as the former state champion, surrounded by family friends, teammates and coaches in Caldwell Hall, signed scholarship papers Friday morning to continue his academic and wrestling careers at Cumberland University, an NAIA school located in Lebanon, Tennessee.

While the personable Patton says that his 2015 state championship match is memorable, he goes on to say that, “The semi-final match that year is just a bit more memorable because of a photo that (Chattanoogan.com contributor) Lawson Whitaker took during the match. I didn’t realize I had gotten so high in the air – it was amazing!â€

He defeated Nathan Martin of Briarcrest in a 3:48 fall in that match.

In the title match that year he defeated Father Ryan’s Marcello Morrice in a 9-7 overtime bout that was voted as the tournament’s best match.

Patton has been wrestling since the third grade and has competed at the varsity level since the eighth grade. This past season he finished third at the state meet, winning that match in a fall at 4:12 over MBA’s Mark Floyd.

He has an inner strength that shines through in his ability to wrestle through adversity.

He says on his recruiting page, “(I have the) ability to push through the hard times. I was diagnosed with Mononucleosis two weeks before the state tournament my freshman season in 2013. I was unable to wrestle in the tournament that year because of it. As well as the Mononucleosis, I injured my shoulder during the summer before my sophomore year. I would later re-injure that shoulder in the match of the state tournament of my sophomore year in 2014. I was able to wrestle through and place 5th with the shoulder injury. I am different because of my ability to press on when times get tuff, I continue to push the pace in my matches.â€

The son of Clay and Meg Patton, Will has two younger brothers – one a cheerleader and the other a diver.

Patton turned down several other scholarship offers before settling on Cumberland. Of his decision to wrestle there, he said, “I wanted to wrestle, but could never find a school that fit, one that I’d like to go to if I were to become injured and couldn’t wrestle.â€

He continued, “I fell in love with (Cumberland) when I saw it and committed on the spot. I really like Coach (James) Hicks; he made me feel right at home.â€

McCallie’s head coach, Mike Newman, said of Patton, “Will was one that everyone came out to watch as you knew you were going to see an exciting match.â€

When not on the mat, Patton is an avid deer and turkey hunter. The same year he won the state championship he took the largest deer he’s ever shot, a 10-point buck.

2015 was a good year for Will Patton and his future looks even brighter.

~---------------------

Below we have one of Tennessee's best going after it...

Keep in mind that like many other USAW events, Cadet World Team Trials are not seeded, but separated based on their 'Level' system which is thus:

- Level 1: Previous Cadet and above National Champion (IN Style)

- Level 2: Previous Cadet and above National 2nd - 8th (IN Style)

- Level 3: Previous Cadet and above National 1st - 3rd (OUT of style, not including folkstyle)

69kg:

Fargo Champ Joe Lee (IN) is the #1 seed but he drew a really tough Julian Ramirez who he's likely to see in the Round of 16....

Fargo AA's Mike O'Malley (NJ) and Eli King (TN) highlight the second quad.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/42398-cadet-world-team-trials-bracket-reactions

Edited by Sommers

Shakur Takes Fifth at University Nationals

Sophomore wins eight in a row to place at the freestyle event.

Jun. 06

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga sophomore wrestler Kamaal Shakur placed fifth at the University Nationals in Akron, Ohio, over the weekend. Shakur was one of six Mocs competing in the freestyle event.

After losing his opening round match to Maaziah Bethea, Shakur won eight straight in the 70KG bracket. He came all the way back to beat Bethea in the fifth place match with a 7-2 decision.

Senior Scottie Boykin and junior Bryce Carr both just missed placing in their weight classes. Boykin opened with two wins in the main draw at 97KG and had another in the consolations before losing in the blood round. Carr won his first three in the main draw at 86KG, but also came up one match short of placing.

Also competing at the event were sophomores Alonzo Allen (57KG) and Connor Tolley (125KG) and senior Sean Mappes (80KG). For complete results, check the link at the top of the page.

http://www.gomocs.com/news/2016/6/6/wrestling-shakur-takes-fifth-at-university-nationals.aspx

----------------------------

Wrestling Infrastructure in Bradley Co continues its growth ....Hello Alan Jones? ;)

Soto explains more with our Michigan connection there...

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/980884-cleveland-tn-barn-bunk-house

Edited by Sommers