Tennessee High School Soccer Coaches Association?

CoachShaneSmith

I am new to coaching here in Tennessee so I am trying to find out some information before we get too far into the season.  Where I coached previously, you had to be a member of the state coaches association for your sport for your players to receive any type of recognition for All State  and etc.  I am curious if it is the same here in Tennessee.  When I go to the http://thssca.org page all I get is a link giving a paypal chance to join.  It mentions nothing regarding the benefits or expectations of the organization.  From previous experience, I have found that information is not always communicated on purpose in an effort to reduce those participating in All State and National Programs.

Beyond the benefits to my players, I have always been involved in my local state association as a means of a professional commitment.  

Not that it matters for this topic, but I am the boy's head coach at Fairview.

I am new to coaching here in Tennessee so I am trying to find out some information before we get too far into the season.  Where I coached previously, you had to be a member of the state coaches association for your sport for your players to receive any type of recognition for All State  and etc.  I am curious if it is the same here in Tennessee.  When I go to the http://thssca.org page all I get is a link giving a paypal chance to join.  It mentions nothing regarding the benefits or expectations of the organization.  From previous experience, I have found that information is not always communicated on purpose in an effort to reduce those participating in All State and National Programs.

Beyond the benefits to my players, I have always been involved in my local state association as a means of a professional commitment.  

Not that it matters for this topic, but I am the boy's head coach at Fairview.

The THSSCA website is under construction (as you well saw, there isn't much to it at this point, so we are working get things updated).  We actually discussed this last week and should be close to moving in that direction.  

The benefits of joining allow for your players to be honored in all star games as well as the All State teams.  We have been begging for coaches to join for the past 2 years, but not too many have responded.  We want as many coaches in the group as possible, as it gives us a voice when we talk to the TSSAA about rule changes and rule proposals (we have met MULTIPLE times about the girls season moving, the premier league conflicts, and club cooperation).  Without this group, we really wouldn't have an organized "voice".

We want as many boys nominated for All State from all of the areas and districts around the state (contrary to what you stated in your post).  The problem is that we get very little involvement from the coaches across the state as a whole, and we are trying to change that.  

I feel that is a very small investment of $21 that allows your players to get the recognition that they deserve.  For those who aren't members of the NSCAA, there is a good joint membership for $90 that puts you in both organizations and comes with  $1,000,000 liability insurance coverage.