A trend in high school soccer

Metroman

Several years ago, I started to see a trend on where the best soccer teams in the state were moving from the suburbs into the city schools.  I went to the Southeast Regionals in Little Rock back in the late 90s and several of the teams were dominated by foreign players.  I remember seeing teams from Texas, Florida, and Georgia that had one or two white kids and the rest were Hispanic (mostly), African, or Asian.  Tennessee's best teams were from Williamson County, suburban Memphis, and Knoxville.

Now, the trend has moved into the high school ranks.  As the coaching gets better in the urban areas, the high schools are starting to overtake the suburban schools.  I have watched several Metro teams this year and almost every one of them could beat Franklin, Brentwood, Hendersonville, i.e. the traditional midstate powers. 

Look at Hunters Lane.  They are 4th (or 5th) in district 12AAA.  They have a stud African in the back and 3 great Hispanic kids up top.  And, they are in the middle of the district.  Just a few years ago, teams like that were laughing stocks.

Granted, the coaching at the schools hasn't caught up yet.  But if it does, watch for teams like Antioch, Cane Ridge, Overton, and Glencliff to make an interesting run.

Overton has been strong for a few years now and Antioch has some great talent. Cane Ridge seems like the biggest surprise to me this year.

Have you seen Cane Ridge play? Its a team comprised almost completely of very skilled hispanic kids. The hispanic population in that area has many good players and a huge indoor soccer complex minutes from the school. They play a fun to watch style of soccer.