FS / GR State Weigh Ins

mat73557

I have been told that we are weighing in 2 days early for the State FS / GR Tournament.

To me, this seems like it could encourage some kids (or their parents) to do some serious weight cutting and create a safety issue.

What is the reason for having the weigh in so early?  Anyone know?

Anyone agree?  Disagree?

Edited by mat73557

I have been told that we are weighing in 2 days early for the State FS / GR Tournament.

To me, this seems like it could encourage some kids (or their parents) to do some serious weight cutting and create a safety issue.

What is the reason for having the weigh in so early?  Anyone know?

Anyone agree?  Disagree?

I agree with you that no one should be allowed to make weight two (2) day's before competition for any event much less a state tournament.

IMO, they should not use any type of satellite weigh-in sites for a state tournament.  Go back to the old school method and offer the athletes the opportunity to weigh-in at the competition site on Friday evening between 7:00pm-9:00pm and again on Saturday morning between 7:00am-8:00am.  This method covers everyone.

In Regards to Satellite weigh-ins,

1. It encourages the Kids and Parents to Participate in the Event, by making it easier to register and weigh-in for the event.

2. Makes it easy for the Tournament Director (ME) to hold state, along with the support staff.

3. Only 2 out of 6 age groups are High School Divisions, so weight cutting should not be an issue.

4. The TWF is First and Foremost about growing the sport of wrestling, so if we can make it easier to come to one of our events, it will be done.

I, along with many parents who have wrestlers that travel, do not want to stay another night in a hotel or spend any more time in a gym than necessary. So onsite weigh-ins the night before are not an option, but morning weigh-ins and satellite weigh-ins will allow more kids to participate.

Besides, anyone who wants to be involved with TWF can and should be, TWF is made up of 16 very dedicated members of the Tennessee wrestling community, every meeting is advertised on here, with all decisions made as a group. If anyone wants to call me, my name is

​Ben Bowers 574-215-8586.

TWF Chairman/Problem Solver

​Looking forward to your call about how to improve and GROW Freestyle and Greco wrestling in Tennessee.

​I promise to make sure our conversation is well received and then discussed on the forums.

Solutions to problems are always welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

​Are you a problem or a problem solver?

I know what I strive to be.

Call me PLEASE.....Will you...

Edited by BMBowers

Wow!! What a condescending post!!  All that large font too....

Are you a problem or a problem solver?  Really?  That is your catch phrase to encourage more people to participate in the TWF?  Sorry but this is not how you get more people involved.  This is how you alienate them.

With my rant out of the way, I want to address a couple of things you said. 

1) You said that satellite weigh ins encourage kids and parents to participate.  I AGREE 

2) You said that satellite weigh ins make it easy on the tournament director.  NO PROBLEM

3) You said that only 2 out of 6 divisions were high school kids so cutting weight shouldnt be a problem.  THIS WAS MY ISSUE.

Do you realize that at the Iron Man, 67% of the participants were high school age kids? (Cadets and Juniors)  At the Blount Force Open, 83% of the participants were high school age kids.  So the MAJORITY of kids are high school age right?

I asked the general board (where I have been posting for 8 years) about what the consensus was regarding weighing in TWO DAYS before the tournament.  It seems unsafe to me.

Weighing in two days early serves what purpose?  The only thing I can think of is that it is designed to help kids cut weight.  Why else would we do that?

4) You said that the first and foremost job of the TWF is to grow wrestling.  I really hope that's not the mission statement...I think the first and foremost job of the TWF should be to protect the safety of its participants.

Many kids are just getting introduced to freestyle and greco, and because of the throws and twists, and the lack of experience, it's more dangerous for them.  I don't want to see any weight cutting at all honestly. 

Lastly, you also said that many parents and wrestlers dont want to stay in hotels and such.  Is that why the wrestle offs for the elementary duals were held at Cleveland at 8AM? 

Sorry but after thinking about this more, all this seems like an attempt to gain an advantage and potentially puts kids at risk.

I'll give you a solution to the problem.  Weigh in the night before and the morning of.  Just like ALL OTHER TOURNAMENTS.

Edited by mat73557

Wow, is this really a big deal. We're talking about a weighin for a spring tournament. It's statewide. It's certainly not unusual to offer satellite weighins. Perhaps not 2 days early, but nevertheless i don't understand how that effects safety. Maybe you're more concerned about cheating. If that's the case just say so.

In Regards to Satellite weigh-ins,

1. It encourages the Kids and Parents to Participate in the Event, by making it easier to register and weigh-in for the event.

2. Makes it easy for the Tournament Director (ME) to hold state, along with the support staff.

3. Only 2 out of 6 age groups are High School Divisions, so weight cutting should not be an issue.

4. The TWF is First and Foremost about growing the sport of wrestling, so if we can make it easier to come to one of our events, it will be done.

I, along with many parents who have wrestlers that travel, do not want to stay another night in a hotel or spend any more time in a gym than necessary. So onsite weigh-ins the night before are not an option, but morning weigh-ins and satellite weigh-ins will allow more kids to participate.

Besides, anyone who wants to be involved with TWF can and should be, TWF is made up of 16 very dedicated members of the Tennessee wrestling community, every meeting is advertised on here, with all decisions made as a group. If anyone wants to call me, my name is

​Ben Bowers 574-215-8586.

TWF Chairman/Problem Solver

​Looking forward to your call about how to improve and GROW Freestyle and Greco wrestling in Tennessee.

​I promise to make sure our conversation is well received and then discussed on the forums.

Solutions to problems are always welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

​Are you a problem or a problem solver?

I know what I strive to be.

Call me PLEASE.....Will you...

For a leader of a state wide organization I am not sure that you have the proper temperament but who am I to judge someone that I don't know.  I will say that if your attitude does not improve and become more customer friendly you may very well not have any customers.

FYI, I have been around TWF since the late 70's & early 80's when great men like Al Miller, Doug Newman, Doug Mayes, Brian Dunning, David Scott, etc...were with the wrestlers for three straight weeks while hosting a training camp at Castle Heights, driving to the AAU Freestyle Nationals and then driving to Iowa City, IA for the USWF Junior Nationals.  I was fortunate to observe how the good ones operated the association and I have witnessed how poorly others have attempted to run the association.  The question that I ask you is what type of legacy do you wish to leave?