Tennessee USAW (TWF)

SAC

After yesterday's tournament several thoughts are running through my mind... if we are going to improve we have to identify weak areas and work towards strengthening them.

First, participation… We need to find a way to get more wrestlers to wrestle the Olympic styles. While it’s still wrestling, they are different. We talk about burnout but then a number of programs do nothing but folkstyle all off-season. 

It doesn't have to be formal for everyone either. Look at what Illinois does with developmentals. These are informal tournaments allowing wrestlers to come together to compete. Wrestlers are grouped by weights and paired with like experience. Three or four matches in each style gets wrestlers and officials plenty of mat time without the formal pressure.

Second, we need to figure out how to get kids together regionally. If the organization could find a way to plan, or allow, clinics coupled with developmentals across the state (not one or two areas) the dividends will be well worth the effort.

Third, officials... Goodness gracious spend the money to get officials... If we don't have the numbers or the experience, bring them in from elsewhere.

Lastly, our current chairperson... the TWF chairperson is a cog in the wheel. This organization is about the wrestlers and not you.

Reading your post on the weigh-ins for the state tournament suggests you are in this for reasons other than the organization. For the record, the USAW event director disagrees with your weigh-ins two days prior to the state tournament.

I found it ironic how you mentioned following USAW rules yesterday regarding coaching certification levels… and were off the mark. These are required at Regional and National level events, not state tournaments. 

A weigh in 2 days before competition is just plain irresponsible. You don't see it at the Southeast Regional or Fargo. I'm surprised that anyone would even think of something so stupid.

Though I don't necessarily agree with a weigh in 2 days before the event, you're wrong about Southeast Regional, Fargo and Central Nationals. At each event, if you wrestle both styles you weigh in the night before one style, but don't have to re weigh before competing in the next style which winds up being 2 days before.

Though I don't necessarily agree with a weigh in 2 days before the event, you're wrong about Southeast Regional, Fargo and Central Nationals. At each event, if you wrestle both styles you weigh in the night before one style, but don't have to re weigh before competing in the next style which winds up being 2 days before.

Youre just trying to obfuscate the issue....

Youre just trying to obfuscate the issue....

????

What issue? The issue that someone is posting incorrect facts that, when proven to be false, directly oppose the point they are trying to make? I'm glad you finally got to use the new big word you learned, but if you're going to try and argue a point it might help to post factual information that actually supports it. Not information when discovered to be factual actually supports the viewpoint you're arguing against. That's called being stupid.

If you want to argue that the only tournaments when one weighs in 2 days before (including Super 32) requires competition the very next day after the weigh in. Not a day of rest, then fine. That would be a sensible and factual argument.

Edited by Newestguy

I just spoke to a father who had a son wrestle in the 2015 USA Wrestling Junior Nationals.  This is what I was told.

Weigh-in on Wednesday morning (scratch weight) and begin wrestling Wednesday afternoon.

Weigh-in on Thursday morning (scratch weight +1 pound) and begin wrestling Thursday morning.

If wrestlers are fortunate enough to make it to Friday (only All-Americans compete on Friday) they are not required to weigh-in on Friday.

Wrestlers that compete in Greco Roman are required to make scratch weight for freestyle. 

It's past time for people to stop playing loose with the rules and do what is best for the wrestlers.  Another problem is people giving false information regarding various issues. 

Edited by cbg

If you want to argue that the only tournaments when one weighs in 2 days before (including Super 32) requires competition the very next day after the weigh in. Not a day of rest, then fine. That would be a sensible and factual argument.

You clearly understand the big words.

????

What issue? The issue that someone is posting incorrect facts that, when proven to be false, directly oppose the point they are trying to make? I'm glad you finally got to use the new big word you learned, but if you're going to try and argue a point it might help to post factual information that actually supports it. Not information when discovered to be factual actually supports the viewpoint you're arguing against. That's called being stupid.

Seeing as how you are wishing to debate the issue... If you don't wrestle the first style you must weigh in before the second. That is pretty cut and dry. You sir are attempting to make a situation fit your argument.

Furthermore, no one at USAW was in support of our chairman's decision. And that substantiates exactly what we are saying!

Seeing as how you are wishing to debate the issue... If you don't wrestle the first style you must weigh in before the second. That is pretty cut and dry. You sir are attempting to make a situation fit your argument.

Furthermore, no one at USAW was in support of our chairman's decision. And that substantiates exactly what we are saying!

I'm not debating anything. I'm simply pointing out the facts. Perhaps one reason for the advanced weigh ins is to encourage kids to wrestle both styles (I realize that wasn't an issue at the USAW (TWF). For example if someone wants to wrestle freestyle at the Southeast Regional, they can either 1) Weigh in Friday night, wrestle Greco on Saturday, not weigh in again and wrestle freestyle on Sunday OR 2) If they're too much of a wuss to wrestle Greco, they can weighin Saturday evening and wrestle Freestyle on Sunday. I believe there's even an option to weigh in the morning of if one chooses to

Nowhere did I say I "agreed" with the 2 day in advance weigh in for the USAW (TWF). I did say however, it's really not that big of a deal.

Edited by Newestguy

New guy... facts are Thursday night kids weighed in for the TN state freestyle and Greco tournament, which was wrestled Saturday. Therefore these are weigh-ins two days before competition... completely different from USAW regional and national tournaments. You can spin it anyway you want, the facts remain the same, we are talking apples and bananas but you choose to say fruit. Fruit they are but really nothing alike.

The next set of facts are... the reason this was done had more to do with making things easier for the "tournament director", much like using Ironman medals to recognize state place winners, and completely missing the mark that kid aren't wusses cause they don't wrestle Greco. Please see my original post... in particular the participation paragraphs.