South Greene @ Unaka

R2

Meigs Co @ Knox Grace

R3

Silverdale @ Boyd Buchanan

R4

Gordonsville @ Goodpasture

R5

Forrest vs Eagleville/Clarksville Academy (postponed till 3pm Tues 5/17)

R6

Loretto @ Franklin Grace

R7

Huntingdon @ Gibson Co

R8

Scotts Hill @ Jackson Christian

A Sectionals Winner advances to state.

Meigs Co @ South Greene Fri

Unaka @ Knox Grace Fri

Silverdale @ Goodpasture Sat 2:00

Gordonsville @ Boyd Buchanan Sat 4:00

Franklin Grace @Forrest Fri

Loretto @ Clarksville Academy Fri

Scotts Hill @ Gibson Co Fri

Peabody @ Jackson Christian Fri 6:30

Goodpasture and Gordonsville both won today and will join the other teams at the state.

This will be the 6th appearance in a row for Goodpasture. I wouldn't take Gordonsville litely. They have played Goodpasture tough each time and won one of the regular season district games.

Looking forward to the state brackets being released.

I would love for Gordonsville to make some noise... it might take the sting away a little for BBS.

I feel llike this was Gordonsville's "any given day."  Hat's off to them... they did what it took. However, the score is not always a good indicator.

They have 4 above .300 hitters. They batted them 3,4 and 7,8. This is designed to give you a chance to score runs every inning and more if the defense gives you other base runners. The Bucs's gave them more.

Gordonsville had 5 infield hits. 4 of them ended up scoring. One of the IH's was a shot to third that was stopped but no chance to throw the runner out. The rest were bunt's that were over ran by infielders or good pitches blooped into no mans land. So, they were as close to being strike outs as they were hits, but this day they were hits.

In 6 innings (1-5 and 7) Gordonsville had 5 runs on 8 hits. (I know they all count)

In the 6th inning they had 6 runs on 5 hits (3 IH's) a walk and 3 BBS errors. 

BBS played like it was graduation day and they got up early for that on offense too. Two runners that would have for sure scored were out at the plate on base running mistakes. Another was caught stealing on one that got away from the catche because he did not slide at second.

BBS hit three line drives that were right to or just in reach of the fielder and all would have resulted in one or two runs if they were a foot further away.

If you take away the runs given... Gordonsville has 8 runs (4 of the 8 are still infield hits). If BBS has the 2 that were out at the plate the game is tied. Then just one of the line drives has to move a foot.

So, for Gordonsville to make noise... I see that they need help from the defense, several IH's and three solid shots from the other team to be right at their fielder.

Having said all this... Go Gordonsville! I hope the go all the way!

Edited by smithke

Smithke, it's easy to play the what if game. One of your "hits" was misplayed by the left fielder and should have been an out but resulted in your first run. Two more runs scored when your hitters rolled over on change ups but hit them in the hole enough to score runs. Another run got into scoring position because of a ball misplayed in center and that run scored on a sac fly.

So there's 4 runs you didn't deserve but got any way. One or Two more hitters reached base on swinging bunts. Instead of playing the what if game, just realize Gordonsville won the game because they played better and harder. BBS overlooked Gordonsville and it came back to bite them.

Gordonsville smoked several balls as well, right at people.

Hats off to BBS, great season. They have some really good players and the game was fun to watch.

One suggestion though, teach your fans to not be so personal and stop yelling out kids names during the game. Very bush league there.

I would love for Gordonsville to make some noise... it might take the sting away a little for BBS.

I feel llike this was Gordonsville's "any given day."  Hat's off to them... they did what it took. However, the score is not always a good indicator.

They have 4 above .300 hitters. They batted them 3,4 and 7,8. This is designed to give you a chance to score runs every inning and more if the defense gives you other base runners. The Bucs's gave them more.

Gordonsville had 5 infield hits. 4 of them ended up scoring. One of the IH's was a shot to third that was stopped but no chance to throw the runner out. The rest were bunt's that were over ran by infielders or good pitches blooped into no mans land. So, they were as close to being strike outs as they were hits, but this day they were hits.

In 6 innings (1-5 and 7) Gordonsville had 5 runs on 8 hits. (I know they all count)

In the 6th inning they had 6 runs on 5 hits (3 IH's) a walk and 3 BBS errors. 

BBS played like it was graduation day and they got up early for that on offense too. Two runners that would have for sure scored were out at the plate on base running mistakes. Another was caught stealing on one that got away from the catche because he did not slide at second.

BBS hit three line drives that were right to or just in reach of the fielder and all would have resulted in one or two runs if they were a foot further away.

If you take away the runs given... Gordonsville has 8 runs (4 of the 8 are still infield hits). If BBS has the 2 that were out at the plate the game is tied. Then just one of the line drives has to move a foot.

So, for Gordonsville to make noise... I see that they need help from the defense, several IH's and three solid shots from the other team to be right at their fielder.

Having said all this... Go Gordonsville! I hope the go all the way!

Just some observations...you could be right about the "any given day", and are for sure on with the score not always being the indicator of the "best" team.

Lineups are made out by the coach, and conventional wisdom says that you bunch your best OBP guys at the top, followed by the contact hitters...if you feel that separating your best hitters is beneficial, tell your coach your opinion, then brace yourself for the reply.

If your defense "gives" baserunners and infield hits, and regularly overruns bunts, your defense isn't that good.

Commit 3 errors and a walk, and give up 5 hits in any inning, and most decent teams will beat you.

All that the players can do is hit the ball...the fact that sometimes they seem to all be hit directly at the defense is the primary reason that the score isn't always the indicator of the best team.

The last couple of lines regarding the "given" runs, could have been strikeouts, and the placement of balls hit by the Buc's add up to a lot of "if's".

There seems to be a lot of bitterness behind your support of Gordonsville.

I know nothing about these two teams, therefore I don't doubt that Boyd should have won, and would probably win a series against Gordonsville...but Gordonsville got the job done when it counted and should be congratulated for their accomplishment...their seeding was determined by district record, and they won when it was necessary to advance, so they haven't been given anything that wasn't earned by their play on the field.