Boone @ South - season opener Aug 19

blazer1set

RebRaider I didn't see them getting beat this bad by Boone but maybe Boone has improved more than I thought.

Boone has improved for sure but I go back to about 2004 with South and I think this could be the most challenging season I've ever seen them have. That said - they have had a lot of good years in that time.

Boone wins 26-6

Boone showed a few moments of stunning brilliance surrounded by a lot of mediocrity.

South fans, you played us even in the 2nd half, so you need to build on that in practice next week.

I could see South as a .500 team this year.

Just hope Boone can pick up another win or 2 or 3.      .500 for us would be a good season.

Well, from how the paper wrote it up, it appears that Boone was dominant from the get go.  Good for my Boone boys.  I wasn't sure how this one would go because things have been really quiet from South, which is odd for a program like theirs.  Boone just had a barrage of offense, and it is hard to dig yourself out of a 20-0 hole.  I think South will improve, but it could be another rocky season for South.

Boone's QB was very impressive. They have a chance to be balanced on offense especially if they'll mix up their formations a little more and not show run all the time from those power I sets. They can have a good season. Congrats on the win Blazers.

South's defensive front played well. Secondary is young and will need to learn quickly. The offense is going to be very limited. I hope they spend more time on special teams play. Every phase was below average in execution. If you're lacking in team talent, you simply cannot give up big plays on special teams.

Ok, I said I wouldn't go see the Rebels after watching their scrimmage in Bloomingdale. But I broke down and went, expecting a backyard battle that these teams have had thought the recent history. Not my best choice.

My observations:

1) Wow, the tiny corners need to get a lot better, fast.

2) The South defensive front did not play well. Gotta disagree with mr crawdad on that. The big Boone qb had all kinds of time to throw to the wide open wideouts. When the qb tan a draw or scrambled, it looked like the red Sea parting. Mo pressure. They did stop the run, comin right at them; I will give then that. ILBs played well imo.

3) May be the worst high school play calling I've seen for any school this level. What on earth happened to the old South offense? Hey Coach Hayney , Jenkins knows you are about to run the dive for the 60th time. Middle school play book.

4) Jenkins obviously was well prepped for this South team. Packing it in and daring them to throw on single coverage. But Reb coach keeps running that dive, right into Boones strength. Flats woups have been open. Slant and corner routes would have been wide open.

5) South did not contain on the ends or corners. Ends were hooked by OL anytime the Boonies wanted to go around end. What are you guys teaching now? Lol

6) South O line has to give the qb a pocket. QB scrambling elimitates two of the four WRs. Only two routes to consider on the scramble.

7) Boone WRs did a great job blowing by the tiny corners and making the catch and securing the ball. Where was the Reb safety = no help.

8) South can't tackle very well, especially dbs.

9) The Gray folks I sat with were very polite. A lot of sportsmanship shown by both sides that I saw.

10) South food was good. I had a burger and that carmelcorn. Yum.

Boone, dont start thinking you are better them you are. Keep working from an underdogs position.

South needs to work on a lot. They need to switch up the defensive lineup. They need to find a new guy to call plays. Honestly, go find one now.

Ok, I said I wouldn't go see the Rebels after watching their scrimmage in Bloomingdale. But I broke down and went, expecting a backyard battle that these teams have had thought the recent history. Not my best choice.

My observations:

1) Wow, the tiny Rebel corners need to get a lot better, fast.

2) The South defensive front did not play well. Gotta disagree with mr crawdad on that. The big Boone qb had all kinds of time to throw to the wide open wideouts. When the qb ran a draw or scrambled, it looked like the Red Sea parting. No pressure. They did stop the run, comin right at them; I will give then that. ILBs played well imo.

3) May be the worst high school play calling I've seen for any school this level. What on earth happened to the old South offense? Hey Coach Hayney , Jenkins knows you are about to run the dive for the 60th time. Middle school play book.

4) Jenkins obviously was well prepped for this South team. Packing it in and daring them to throw on single coverage. But Reb coach keeps running that dive, right into Boones strength. Flats woups have been open. Slant and corner routes would have been wide open.

5) South did not contain on the ends or corners. Ends were hooked by OL anytime the Boonies wanted to go around end. What are you guys teaching now? Lol

6) South O line has to give the qb a pocket. QB scrambling elimitates two of the four WRs. Only two routes to consider on the scramble.

7) Boone WRs did a great job blowing by the tiny corners and making the catch and securing the ball. Where was the Reb safety = no help.

9) The Gray folks I sat with were very polite. A lot of sportsmanship shown by both sides that I saw.

Boone, dont start thinking you are better them you are. Keep working from an underdogs position.

South needs to work on a lot. They need to switch up the defensive lineup. They need to find a new guy to call plays. Honestly, go find one now.

Edited by Pudding

My observations:

1) Wow, the tiny corners need to get a lot better, fast.

2) The South defensive front did not play well. Gotta disagree with mr crawdad on that. The big Boone qb had all kinds of time to throw to the wide open wideouts. When the qb tan a draw or scrambled, it looked like the red Sea parting. Mo pressure. They did stop the run, comin right at them; I will give then that. ILBs played well imo.

I'm going to defend all coaches on this one.  

3.  Play calling is what you see open.  If they saw it open, then that's what they were going to call.  It comes down to the kids making blocks and getting there.  If they aren't getting the job done... it may be a reason why you see the play over and over.  It may be one of their better plays, and some of the other things they run aren't up to snuff yet.

5.  All coaches teach kids not to be hooked and to attack the outside shoulder.  This is a personnel issue, not a coaching issue.  Your ends are not that good or Boone's line is that good.

I won't throw the coaches under the bus.  They aren't on the field making tackles.  You know very well that South has worked their tail off and tried to get better, but personnel is not there yet.  If what you say is true about South, another down year, and things aren't looking up for them this year or even next.  That conference next year will include Elizabethon and Greeneville, so South better figure something out.

Interesting side note, I think we can assume that when consolidation does come.... it may not be safe to assume that a South coach will automatically get that job.  Or a North coach.  Even Central Big shake up in the future.