four classes in basketball

Indian

You want the private schools in another division and you want to add another division to the public school division for a total of four (4) divisions in basketball?  What goal are you trying to achieve?  Should every school just be mailed a state championship trophy?  I am sure glad that I never had to go to war with a generation of "SOFT" people like we have today.

Didn't say I wanted it necessarily. It wouldn't affect the school here so much anyway and it's possible it would have made it at the low end of a Class AAA. With a lot of new charters they should at least throw out the numbers and see where schools would fall.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/06/08/tssaa-recommends-staying-6-classes-football/85591030/

Not dead yet, looks like there is support from the board. They could still have 8 teams make the state just play the first round at Riverdale, MTCS etc (nobody could play on home court). I doubt the players, coaches and parents would mind. Win and go to Middle for semis.

6 classes in football is about making more money. All TSSAA decisions are based on money. They might say 6 classes in football is about fair play but how can that idea apply to football and not any other sport? "Lengthy Travel" was a concern by Childress when it came to basketball adding classes but its ok for a 2 win football team to travel 3 hours for a 1st round playoff game? Why should a 2 win football team be in the playoffs? Money! Taking the number of schools and dividing it by 3 may be the easiest way for TSSAA to create classes but I think its time to look at it in a different way. In football you will never have a postseason contest between schools where the larger school's population is more than double the opponent. In basketball, baseball, and softball it happens every year in 1A and 3A. 

Edited by coachp22

Problem is state tournament format. Go to 6 classes like Mississippi and play boys and girls at same time over a 2 week period. Current format sucks. Have to win 3 games in 3 days and 1 team from one classification gets a day off and other doesn't. Time to change

Edited by MCbobcats

Can someone explain why there is a need for 6 classes in football and not a need for more classes in basketball, baseball, and softball? I have never heard a legitimate reason that would only apply to one group of high school athletes and not the others. If its safety, fair play, etc. why would that not apply to all?