2016 Jerry Peters Memphis Summer Classic(The Best in Tennessee)

thenewguy85

TonyG I know... Just giving him grief... He shouldn't have checked my video editing skills lol. I know how long it was. He could have just said hey that was a nice pass he made or a nice dunk in transition towards the end lol. Also, thank you for the compliments. I'm a fan of both of those guys.

Edited by coachgat

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

MUS SUMMER CLASSIC PROVIDES LOOK INTO 2016-2017 SEASON

JUNE 27, 2016  CHUCK LAWSON 0 COMMENTS

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

willandcam.jpg?resize=474%2C316

Will Douglas Made His Name Known This Weekend (Pictured W/Ball)

Team camp month has come to an end after what I think is the best event during the month of June for high schools, the MUS Summer Classic . 20 plus high schools every year, great competition and most of all, a chance to take a look into the upcoming high school basketball season. Of course, some teams don’t have their whole compliment of players for whatever reasons, whether some kids are deciding to transfer, family vacations, working jobs or not playing because they saving themselves for the pivotal month of July for evaluation period that’s so important especially for sophomores and juniors. Sometimes though, events like this can make people get a high sense of hope depending of who they played through out the event but any who, let’s take a look who I thought were the best 5 teams at the Mus Summer Classic. Before I do that though, let me say this, this is by no means, who might start out as Top 5 teams in the city on my end as a team or 2 who could be in the discussion didn’t not play in the classic. So with that being said, let’s start the show.

1. Brentwood Academy (Nashville Tn) 6-0 – First, I wouldn’t normally do this, put a team from outside of the area in this discussion because well they not from here but the reason I’m doing so now is because, they came in and put everyone on notice, they are the team to beat not only in their classification but in the entire state at least until further notice. Reason why, well there are many but it’s starts with D and D, Darius Garland. He might be the best guard in the state and I know there are a lot of talented guards, 1 here who didn’t play over the weekend due to injury however, Garland particularly against East looked as good as any I’ve seen in the state. Handle on a string, poise, confidence, runs the show but still finds ways to score when he has to. They are very well coached by former a coach who many should remember in Memphis, Hubie Smith who was the helm of Bartlett at one time. Garland isn’t their only player though as they have several players who can hurt you in Jeremiah Oatsvall who is also one of the state’s best quarterbacks and a player who played on the national championship team coached by the late Desmond Merriwether a few years back. Cameron Johnson is a all state wide receiver who was once a top 30 player in the country in basketball as a youngster and Gavin Schoenwald, who was considered the number player in the country by many before a young man named Marvin Bagley came along and took over the crown 4 years ago. Did I mention that Johnson, Schoenwald and Garland have been playing together for 5 years or more so talk about continuity and cohesiveness and it’s them for sure. I’m not saying they can’t be beat but I think it’s safe to go ahead book for room for the state if your a Brenwood fan.

2. East High School (5-1) Took one loss to the team above in a great game on Friday night but make no mistake about it, the road to the state goes through the defending state champions once again. This a group that is definitely a little different though in terms of players than last year. I know what’s probably going through your head if your reading this, they have the same team and they have a lot of same pieces however, 3 of those pieces are new this year. Martrell Brooks and Kevon Mcmahon are new along with 6’6 Dude Mccollum. They must replace their two defensive stalwarts from last season, Courtney Carter and Teddrick McGhee and Kevon I think can do that along with Brooks who maybe than both players from last year  offensively. Mccollum brings versatility, length, scoring and rebounding and of course their main core is back for this year. Gatorade Player of the Year, Mr Basketball and Best Of The Preps player of the Year Alex Lomax didn’t play this weekend and was missed particularly in that game against Brentwood because of his defensive ability. TJ Moss, looked pretty good at times, hitting the 3 and showed the ability to play on the ball as the lead guard on occasions as well. Chandler Lawson was the subject of conversation a few weeks back about whether he would return or possibly prep school it at Oak Hill or IMG Academy but this weekend, he was with his team and showing why he’s one of the elite player in the country in 2019. Malcolm Dandridge, 6’8 improved game by game, at times looks like one of the better bigs in the city at that says a lot because he’s only a sophomore. His progression is key this year as he will play a lot beside senior Rodarius Washington, who cleans everything up on the glass and can be another ball handler when needed. Senior Nick Merriwether will be another player asked to give them quality minutes. Senior TK Smith didn’t play due to illness but will be counted on heavily once again as a primary guy off the bench for the Mustangs.  East is once again, the favorites to come out of Memphis but everyone is gunning to knock them off and they will have to be on their A game every night but I expect that from a Penny Hardaway coached team.

3. Christian Brothers High School (4-2) Played both Brentwood and East really close and was up 7-8 in both games in the 3rd and it wasn’t by default, they deserved to be up in those games and probably should have won. Memphis, let me introduce you to Will Douglass if you don’t know about him already. He’s arguably the best prospect in the class and it shouldn’t be a debate. 6’4 long, best on ball guy in the city of defense, great instincts playing passing lanes, scoring it more with confidence I haven’t seen, hitting the 3, Douglass did it all this week. He had 36 against Brentwood and almost beat them by his self, that’s just how well he played that game as I think it was his coming out party if you were there in attendance. When you mention Blake Williams, DJ Jackson, Chase Hayden, make sure you mention his as well in that top tier. 6’0 Ryan Schweitzer is as pure a  set shooter as you will see in the area off the spot up and is a lefty who will lead them in scoring on some nights along with Jacob Lyons, a strong 4-5, who can put it on the floor or play with his back to the basket and score it. Ben Spence, 6’6, will also be very valuable to his team as he seems to be their glue type, can handle some.They have seen their nemesis the last two season once already (Brentwood) so they know what to expect if they didn’t already but they are probably the best threat to beat them in the state on the private school side.

4.White Station High School (5-1) Only loss over the weekend was to Fayette Ware from a source on a controversial call that led to a 4 point loss but other than that, White Station was pretty good all weekend. A year old with a good group mixed with seniors and juniors, the Spartans will be in the mix in 16AAA this year and they will be there because of Aaron Strother, a 6’2 guard who can play bigger than his height and provide scoring, Adam Price who’s one of the better shooters in the city, 6’3 Michael Watkins, Braxton Winford and 6’2 Allen Hatchett who hit seven 3 pointers in the game against Fayette Ware showing improved outside jumper. He works as hard as anyone in the city on his game and it will pay dividends for him this year. Price is another player who I think can be among the best seniors in the city with his shooting.  Keep an eye on White Station this year.

5. Bartlett High School (5-1) No one really talked about them much this weekend but they quietly went into Saturday undefeated before losing to White Station in the evening game. Coach Real is quietly doing a good job and what they lack in size, they make up for in good guards  with Carlos Sandifer who had a 25 point game over the weekend, sophomore Jeff Walker who’s one of the better players in 2019 and senior Jalen Reed, a 6’1 who could be pretty good for Bartlett this year. Quentin Williams who was used a lot last year maybe counted on this year as well to score this year but they do have a few options that they can go to because of their guard depth. Questions about size will be persist but this is a team that can scare top teams.  Can this be the year that Bartlett makes a lot of noise in 14AAA? With Cordova on that side, not sure but you know, anything is possible in Memphis, night in night out.

Now that I’ve talked about teams, let’s look at the top 10 players from the event in my opinion. I have to say this, this is not a rankings list, just a list of player that I thought were the best players that I saw over the weekend.

1. Darius Garland 6’1 (Brentwood Academy 2018) Regarded as top guard in the state, did little to make people dispute it.

2. TJ Moss 6’4 (East High 2018) Top 3-5 scorer in Memphis

3. Will Douglass 6’4 (Christian Brothers High 2017) You can make a case now that he’s the best player in this class in Memphis.

4. Chandler Lawson 6’9 ( East High 2019) The most unique player in the state

5.Ryan Boyce 6’5 ( Houston High 2018) Was a little bothered by injured back but showed enough to make him appear here.

6. Desmond Johnson 5’11 (Kirby High 2017) Expect big numbers this year, leading candidate to lead city in scoring.

7. Jeremiah Oatsvall 6’1 (Brentwood Academy 2017) Shot maker, tough, heady player.

8. Cameron Johnson 6’1 (Brentwood Academy 2018) Athletic finisher, good mid range game.

9. Taeylr Gatlin 6’2 (Brighton High 2018) Big lead guard, great passer, excellent in transition with his vision.

10.Parker Stewart (Union City) Best shooter maybe in the state

Offers piling up for CBHS 2017 G William Douglas; Is Memphis next?

Posted: July 16, 2016

By Jason Smith of The Commercial Appeal

You won't find Christian Brothers High School senior guard William Douglas on any top-100 2017 prospects lists.

Though the 6-foot-5, 180-pound scorer has scholarship offers from TCU, Ole Miss, Florida State, Oregon, UNLV and Saint Louis, Douglas continues to fly under the radar of most recruiting services despite a strong spring and summer on the AAU circuit with M33M.

Yet his coaches insist he's the type of player you would want to build a program around. A Division 2-AA Mr. Basketball finalist as a junior at CBHS last season, Douglas is as dedicated and unselfish as they come, says longtime Purple Wave coach Bubba Luckett, who's talked at length about Douglas with new University of Memphis coach Tubby Smith.

Smith was in Anaheim, California, on Saturday, sitting front and center to watch Douglas' M33M 17-and-under squad play Utah Basketball Club Elite in the Double Pump Best of Summer Tournament. Douglas' M33M team also included top-70 2017 center prospect Isaiah Stokes (IMG Academy), a former Lausanne standout whom the Tigers are recruiting.

Though Smith hadn't formally offered Douglas a scholarship as of Saturday morning, one could be coming soon from the Tigers, who need backcourt scorers for 2017 and missed Saturday on top-60 2017 Little Rock guard prospect Khalil Garland (see below).

"Here's what Tubby Smith told me: 'We are going to recruit him hard,' " Luckett said of Douglas, who's also drawing interest from Michigan and Virginia. "To me, that's about as close as you can get to an offer. (Smith) said, 'We love him and we're going to recruit him hard.'

"He's one of the best I've ever coached, for sure. He's very versatile. He's got 3-point range, he gets to the hole and he's got a midrange game. That's really hard to guard."

Douglas plays the 1, 2 and 3 at CBHS but said he envisions himself playing primarily at point guard in college. A good athlete whose size allows him to see over smaller backcourt defenders, Douglas' game features a polished midrange shot. He's also a good defender who uses his long arms to attack passing lanes.

Last month at Memphis University School, Douglas averaged 21.2 points, 3.4 assists and 3.6 rebounds in the Jerry Peters Memphis Summer Classic against some of the state's top high school programs. He had 32 points and five rebounds against D2-AA state champion Brentwood Academy and 22 points against Class AAA state champion East High.

"I thought when we played East this summer — and of course (East 2018 point guard Alex) Lomax didn't play (due to an Achilles injury) — I don't think there was any doubt (Douglas) was the best player on the court," Luckett said. "Now, he's a senior and they got a lot of young kids, but if he were on East's team, I believe he and Lomax would be the best players on the team."

Added M33M president Ernie Kuyper of Douglas: "He's a great kid who's seen his recruitment go to another level this summer. All of his hard work is paying off. He's been a regular this summer at D1 (Sports Training) strength and conditioning and at 6 a.m. individual workouts. William is a great player who will make a positive impact on the program who signs him."

Douglas' father, Frederick, who's retired from the Army, said his son's rise as a prospect has been due in part to an "unusual" work ethic.

"He does the work. He's extremely teachable," Frederick said. "I don't have to do anything but feed him. He wakes up in the morning every day religiously at 5:30, and at 6 o'clock he rolls out of there and he's either going to Christian Brothers or somewhere to work out. I mean, he's just a good kid."

Garland picks Hogs over Tigers, others

Former U of M commitment Khalil Garland, a top-60 2017 guard prospect from Parkview High in Little Rock, committed to Arkansas on Saturday over Memphis, Alabama, LSU and Arkansas-Little Rock.

Garland, who plays for Team Penny on the AAU circuit, committed to Memphis in March but decommitted a month later after former Tigers coach Josh Pastner went to Georgia Tech.

Ranked No. 61 in the 2017 ESPN 100, Garland told The Commercial Appeal last week at the Elite Youth Basketball League Finals at the Nike Peach Jam in North Augusta, South Carolina, that he'd spoken with Smith since he replaced Pastner in April and that he was still considering the Tigers.

But he ended Memphis' pursuit Saturday, tweeting, "After a long and difficult thought process, I have decided to continue my basketball career at the University of Arkansas."

Have a inside source saying alot of teams on the verge of offering just waiting to see him play this week in Vegas before they pull the trigger. Been getting heavy calls from Michigan, Alabama, Virginia, Marquette, Gtech; these are just the big programs. And mid majors such as Illinois State, Valpo, Northeastern, and Pacific have spots waiting if he's interested. 

I won't go on a tagent about how much i love this kids game and his character away from the floor, but I will say I just love how this shows that stars and rankings do not determine your future success. The hardworking humble gems are eventually found and brought to light. Wish him and the family the best of luck in the future. 

The City of Memphis has a lot of talent that is coming out of the local high schools that would look great in the U of M schools colors. I'm hoping that the U of M can land some of these prospects. I understand the desire to leave home and spread your wings. It would be nice to see some of the local talent represent. However, it appears that Tubby and his staff will have their work cut out for them. I think that is a good thing. Let's see what happens. It speaks volumes when other well established programs want to recruit the young men playing in the City.

Edited by kwc

• 2 weeks later...