NFHS Rule Changes

davidlimbaugh

Travel Ball is getting more looks than high school, but it's not because of coaches trying to please parents (99% of the time anyway). Sounds like you're pretty bitter about your coach.

Travel gets more looks because of reasons mentioned above, along with College and High School seasons coinciding with each other.

I know of no parents that are happy with a coach who loses, regardless of their children's pt. I also know of no teams that have ever only given "2 daddy's kids" a look.

Travel Baseball will get more looks than High School. When the coach plays to please parents more than winning a game. I like the rule so maybe more than 2 daddy's kids will get a look.

If your worried about getting looks and want to blame it on the coach then something is wrong. If you want to get looks from good schools, be good enough that they will find you. Bryan Reynolds did not play in all these travel ball tournaments around the country, and look where he is today.  He probably worried more about the quality of what he had rather than the quantity of games being played. You do not need travel ball to get looks.  If you are good enough to play at the next level they will find you plain and simple.  Take that travel ball money and spend it on something that will make you a better player rather than "guaranteed looks." All these freshman and sophomores and even juniors in high school worry about what travel ball team gets the most looks rather than how they actually play the game and the development of themselves as a player.

I will give my 2 cents about recruiting. The biggest farce in high school recruiting is if your good enough they will find you. THIS IS WRONG!!! Colleges have a recruiting budget and it's not limitless. The above statement may be true of the top 1% of high school baseball players. Outside of that align yourself with a good recruiting service and get out to some of the high end prospect camps with multiple coaches attending. All of this is based off of the assumption the player is a quality player that can play at the next level. You must be brutally honest about the the level of play your player can realistically play at and seek out schools of that level.

A couple more cents: many college coaches seem to rely on trusted contacts to identify players. Whether it is budget or laziness or both, I am not sure. The contacts are able to see more HS kids in a given area. If your kid is not in front of these contacts, then chances are greatly reduced. If the contact is a summer league coach who is trying to place his 3rd baseman, then your 3rd baseman is in trouble. There are some big camps and tourneys that draw a lot of coaches. If it's a tourney, you have to hope you play at the primary venues where the coaches hang out and have a big game at the right time. Big camps are several hundred dollars and are money makers first.

So there may be some above avg players that get overlooked. But if you are a stud, chances are much higher that you will get a chance somewhere. Personally, I think the high schools should make more effort to help the kids. The high school should be just as motivated for a kid to attend college for baseball as a kid attending college for liberal arts. Maybe assistant coaches who have the responsibility in their job plan?

Edited by strongx

"Travel ball" has ruined baseball. Now it is if my son gets cut from this team, I will just go start my own travel team. The "travel" circuit is watered down and players play too many games between high school and summer ball. These young arms need rest and they don't get it because of this fallacy that summer ball helps your chances of getting a college scholarship.

My high school experience included playing summer ball at our local rec league with my teammates and playing as far as our talent would allow (State Championship\World Series). Our coach never pushed us to throw or our arms and we loved the ability to play with our teammates beyond the high school season.

IMO, travel ball is about two things now 1. Money and 2. Parents feeling good that lil Johnny is going across the country playing. We had six guys on my high school baseball team go on a play college baseball and none of use played travel ball. A high school coach if he thinks you are good enough to play at the next level should be helping his players get there. No need to spend thousands of dollars each summer trying to improve your chances.

BTW, those players need to make sure they are taking care of their work in the classroom because baseball scholarship money is tough to come by. These travel ball coaches are out here promising full rides in baseball and that is an outright lie.

"Travel ball" has ruined baseball. Now it is if my son gets cut from this team, I will just go start my own travel team. The "travel" circuit is watered down and players play too many games between high school and summer ball. These young arms need rest and they don't get it because of this fallacy that summer ball helps your chances of getting a college scholarship.

My high school experience included playing summer ball at our local rec league with my teammates and playing as far as our talent would allow (State Championship\World Series). Our coach never pushed us to throw or our arms and we loved the ability to play with our teammates beyond the high school season.

IMO, travel ball is about two things now 1. Money and 2. Parents feeling good that lil Johnny is going across the country playing. We had six guys on my high school baseball team go on a play college baseball and none of use played travel ball. A high school coach if he thinks you are good enough to play at the next level should be helping his players get there. No need to spend thousands of dollars each summer trying to improve your chances.

BTW, those players need to make sure they are taking care of their work in the classroom because baseball scholarship money is tough to come by. These travel ball coaches are out here promising full rides in baseball and that is an outright lie.

Best post in baseball threads in a long time...travel ball coaches prey on the mediocre player's parents.

Wow this thread is all over the place.  I wonder how many arms are being ruined anyway?  Pitch counts are fine I guess. I can tell you my 2018 will never throw more than 70-75 in one outing and then he gets 5 days rest period.  I have had 4 sons play D1 Juco and D3.. never had an arm issue... because I made sure they were not overthrown. Be it HS ball or travel ball. 

Speaking of travel ball, there's travel ball and then there's travel ball.  Some teams are making money off of mediocre players... the top travel ball teams are not over throwing pitchers because they have a stable of them. 

"if you are good enough they will find you" true for the top 1%  everyone else just need to attend a PG showcase and get a real eval. see where you stand.... 

College baseball can be very rewarding, but it is a ton of time and work that most HS players do not even realize.  Also there's little money in college baseball, make sure you have the grades..  

Wow this thread is all over the place.  I wonder how many arms are being ruined anyway?  Pitch counts are fine I guess. I can tell you my 2018 will never throw more than 70-75 in one outing and then he gets 5 days rest period.  I have had 4 sons play D1 Juco and D3.. never had an arm issue... because I made sure they were not overthrown. Be it HS ball or travel ball. 

Speaking of travel ball, there's travel ball and then there's travel ball.  Some teams are making money off of mediocre players... the top travel ball teams are not over throwing pitchers because they have a stable of them

"if you are good enough they will find you" true for the top 1%  everyone else just need to attend a PG showcase and get a real eval. see where you stand.... 

College baseball can be very rewarding, but it is a ton of time and work that most HS players do not even realize.  Also there's little money in college baseball, make sure you have the grades..  

​The top travel teams aren't the problem...the problem with the whole travel ball craze is little Johnnie's parents. Johnnie is an ok baseball player (nothing wrong with that), but his mommy and daddy think that they can hire pitching and hitting coaches for him and turn him into a high draft pick. Mommy and daddy also think that Mr. high school coach is sorta alright but Mr. travel coach is much better, whether he's their team of choices' coach or the dad of some other kid who couldn't make the "big name team" either.

The reality is that for the few truly gifted kids, travel teams who showcase them against like teams where scouts and college coaches are concentrated serve a great purpose.

The problem is that all these parents have created a demand, and there are people out there who will willfully take advantage of that, and some other well meaning but incompetent volunteers all too happy to oblige and take charge..."for the kids"...who don't care about, or aren't aware of the way to manage their well being.