6.Maplewood

7. Overton

8.McGavock

9.Hunters Lane

10. Hillwood

11.Whites Creek

12.Antioch

13. Glencliff

I'm sorry but after teams 1-4 and then team 5 when they are healthy that list consists of a lot of very bad football teams.  Metro Football is not very good this year beyond the Top 4.  

On 10/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

1. Pearl Cohn

2. Cane Ridge

3. Stratford

4. East Nashville

5. Hillsboro

6.Maplewood

7. Overton

8.McGavock

9.Hunters Lane

10. Hillwood

11.Whites Creek

12.Antioch

13. Glencliff

Good list.

Is this the worst year in the history of Metro / NIL football?

On 10/19/2019 at 12:54 PM, bleacher said:

Good list.

Is this the worst year in the history of Metro / NIL football?

One of the things that strikes me is the fact that most of the teams cannot field a freshman team. A 9th grade team is a good barometer of the health of a program. If you don't have enough players to fill out a team, you will see problems down the line. There will be a lot of attrition, in both the long run and the short term. Small freshman who might have played on a 9th grade team will avoid JV football involving much bigger players. Once they miss a year, they're unlikely to come back. Even with a freshman team, you have attrition: injuries, kids losing interest or developing others. The bttom line is that of you can't interest at least 25 of your freshman to enter your program, you're likely to have issues in both numbers and leadership in three years.

1 hour ago, KWoodroof said:

One of the things that strikes me is the fact that most of the teams cannot field a freshman team. A 9th grade team is a good barometer of the health of a program. If you don't have enough players to fill out a team, you will see problems down the line. There will be a lot of attrition, in both the long run and the short term. Small freshman who might have played on a 9th grade team will avoid JV football involving much bigger players. Once they miss a year, they're unlikely to come back. Even with a freshman team, you have attrition: injuries, kids losing interest or developing others. The bttom line is that of you can't interest at least 25 of your freshman to enter your program, you're likely to have issues in both numbers and leadership in three years.

Facts!!!!!!!!! PC has won 4 out of the last 5 freshman championships winning the Last 3 in a row. Runner up in 2014. Have beat BA, MBA, Beech and hendersonville just to name a few in the process. Scrimmaged Oakland and Blackmen the past 2 years. It's no surprise that the varsity team is playing at such a high level this season to those that follow the program closely.

While we were fortunate to field freshmen, JV and Varsity teams. It may be a good option for Metro to just go back to JV teams only 9th/10th graders. They did this a few years ago and I believe, had some success growing programs. Mainly because the 10th graders that didn't play on fridays were able to still get playing time which in turn kept them interested in football. 

Edited by jcraigp23

The problem with  the 9/10th grade  was that some "coaches" would sneak in juniors and an occasional senior just to try to win a 9/10 game. And yes that really did happen more  than once.

8 teams had freshman teams.

Cane RIdge  Hillsboro  Overton McGavock Pearl Cohn  East Stratford and Maplewood

If you look above they are also the top ranked Metro programs.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

The problem with  the 9/10th grade  was that some "coaches" would sneak in juniors and an occasional senior just to try to win a 9/10 game. And yes that really did happen more  than once.

8 teams had freshman teams.

Cane RIdge  Hillsboro  Overton McGavock Pearl Cohn  East Stratford and Maplewood

If you look above they are also the top ranked Metro programs.

Doesn't surprise me.

coaching definitely has something to do with these records as well, i have seen a lot of coaches refuse to change there play calling/style to fit the players that they have. Doing the same thing every week when you lose only causes more losing and lose of morale. Who wants to be a loser every week? i don't blame kids seeking better coaching and better teams. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fballfan1978 said:

coaching definitely has something to do with these records as well, i have seen a lot of coaches refuse to change there play calling/style to fit the players that they have. Doing the same thing every week when you lose only causes more losing and lose of morale. Who wants to be a loser every week? i don't blame kids seeking better coaching and better teams. 

So true!  Some coaches go with the latest fad...I.e.  the 3-4 defense.  I saw a JV game last night that had 4 big bodies on the sideline while the “lil fellas” were playing.  Opposing team ran up the middle the whole game scoring 40!