Metro Rankings

bleacher

2 hours ago, workinprogress said:

I disagree PP. I don't think most kids are going there for the coaching or exposure. No offense to any coach at CR. But they are going there because they win. Plain and simple. Put Woods at Glencliff right down the road. Would he be as successful with those kids? Even better, put Brunetti and PC staff at Antioch - does CR still get the same kids? 

I have a different take WIP.  I think before CR came into being known as a good football school, the talented kids that live in the area would be D2 bound.  The fact that they are winning has kids wanting to continue to go to school with their friends.  I do think a coach and staff with proven track record motivates kids to think of their programs.  I also think if Brunetti became coach at Antioch that CR would still get talent.  East still had plenty of talent with PC being 7 miles away.  Antioch and CR are much closer, but think the same thing would exist in this hypothetical.

2 hours ago, workinprogress said:

Firebird hypothetically speaking of course if the PC staff was at Antioch do you think it would impact neighboring schools? I do but that's just my opinion. Again not taking anything away from other staffs. 

PC staff doesn't get alot of credit, they have a well put together staff. It's a mixture of veteran coaches and young coaches. So yes I think PC staff can most definitely turn around Antioch!!!

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

PP I agree CR would still get talent but I think Antioch kids would go to Antioch again. As for the other ever since Marshall and CR opened those kids have gone to those schools for the most part. Those kids really weren't going to D2 even when CR opened. The only big name from CR who went elsewhere was Vaughn. 

This came directly from an administrator from CR.  When Woods came he immediately talked to the kids and convinced them to quit going to the privates and stay at home.  He was able to stop them and keep them together here at CR.  He has made them believe that CR can be good and the kids have responded to him.  This was told to me directly when Gallatin was in the same region.  

Might be true GWave. However I cannot personally remember Marshall kids going from middle school to private schools instead of CR. Most wanted to go there because it was the "new" school. Parks had them going in a good direction before he was let go. Woods and staff have taken them even further but Parks might could have done the same if given the chance. We will never know. 

I'll add that if Woods went to kids and convinced them to stay that was smart on his part. Credit to him. Obviously they have done well. 

27 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Might be true GWave. However I cannot personally remember Marshall kids going from middle school to private schools instead of CR. Most wanted to go there because it was the "new" school. Parks had them going in a good direction before he was let go. Woods and staff have taken them even further but Parks might could have done the same if given the chance. We will never know. 

I'll add that if Woods went to kids and convinced them to stay that was smart on his part. Credit to him. Obviously they have done well. 

Just relaying what was told to me personally.  

I know coaches before also went to the kids and wanted them to stay. Maybe Woods is just a better salesman. Either way CR has done well. 

If metro ever wants to really excel across the board the best coaches should be sending assistants to head coaching positions. That happened in the better metro days. Not so much anymore.

13 hours ago, workinprogress said:

I know coaches before also went to the kids and wanted them to stay. Maybe Woods is just a better salesman. Either way CR has done well. 

If metro ever wants to really excel across the board the best coaches should be sending assistants to head coaching positions. That happened in the better metro days. Not so much anymore.

Work that sounds good but the problem with that is the current Metro principals do not hire assistant coaches as teachers as a priority. Most Metro Staff they'll have to be filled with non-faculty coaches because of this. The solution is different principles with priorities in sports. And an athletic director who strives to increase the quality of our Sports programs. Every Metro school has a Zone with enough athletes to compete the problem is giving them a reason to attend the schools. Coaching in Metro today is harder than any other time in history due to the lack of support

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bleacher said:

Work that sounds good but the problem with that is the current Metro principals do not hire assistant coaches as teachers as a priority. Most Metro Staff they'll have to be filled with non-faculty coaches because of this. The solution is different principles with priorities in sports. And an athletic director who strives to increase the quality of our Sports programs. Every Metro school has a Zone with enough athletes to compete the problem is giving them a reason to attend the schools. Coaching in Metro today is harder than any other time in history due to the lack of support

If you are a metro school student then you can only play sports in the metro school you are zoned to.

1 hour ago, fb247 said:

If you are a metro school student then you can only play sports in the metro school you are zoned to.

That was proposed in the 90s and was laughed down and never given serious consideration by the athletic Council of mnps.

If students are truly transferring for academic purposes though, this would be a good solution.

19 minutes ago, bleacher said:

That was proposed in the 90s and was laughed down and never given serious consideration by the athletic Council of mnps.

If students are truly transferring for academic purposes though, this would be a good solution.

Metro admin has never been very smart about athletics.  Did not have open zones then either. Only had special transfers for class not offered at zone school.  Even then was abused by some for athletics. That is why coaches wanted and proposed kids only play in school zoned.  Huge problem now. As long as metro has open zone and cheating coaches this will never change.

Recruiting has always happened in metro and will continue. The issue is it use to be metro vs everybody. Now metro takes from within while the privates still take some of the best.

Antioch would be the best football team in metro and probably the state if the players stayed. They would have had the top two players of the state on the same team as well as CR Qb and top receiver and most likely others. 

Metro has tried to hire top metro assistants, those assistants turn down the job. For instance, Antioch tried to hire the top two assistant coaches from Hillsboro last year and they both turned down the job. If you want to be a head coach so bad why turn it down? 

The real issue is metro hiring head coaches at the school. There was time when potential head coaches interviewed at the board with the district AD, board members, principal, and school AD. Now it has become a joke!

overton sucks