Metro Rankings

bleacher

On 6/5/2020 at 3:48 PM, FIREBIRD80 said:

Howdoitknow just gave you facts. So at this point it's not just an opinion, its lies!!!

I know this is going to be a long-winded post so bare with me.  

Pearl-Cohn Football History Under Maurice Fitzgerald

1989:  2-8

1990:  2-8

1991:  4-6

1992:  3-7

1993:  3-7

1994:  3-8 (First Round)

1995:  6-5 (First Round)

1996:  11-4 (STATE CHAMPIONS)

1997:  14-1 (STATE CHAMPIONS):  one of the greatest teams of all-time

1998:  11-2 (Quarterfinals)

1999:  7-5 (Second Round)

2000:  3-7

2001:  9-3 (Second Round)

2002:  9-2 (First Round)

2003:  6-5 (First Round)

2004:  2-8

2005:  9-3 (Second Round)

104-89 Overall Record In 17 Seasons

10 Times = First Round (6-4)

6 Times = Second Round (3-3)

3 Times = Quarterfinals (2-1)

2 Times = Semifinals (2-0)

2 Times = State Championship Game (2-0)

Pearl-Cohn Football History Under Tony Brunetti

2019:  14-1 (Runner-Up)

2018:  9-3 (Round 2)

2017:  11-3 (Semifinals)

2016:  12-2 (Semifinals)

2015:  10-5 (Runner-Up)

2014:  11-3 (Semifinals)

2013:  10-2 (Round 2)

2012:  3-7

2011:  7-6 (Quarterfinals)

2010:  9-4 (Quarterfinals)

2009:  5-6 (Round 1)

2008:  1-9

2007:  11-3 (Semifinals)

2006:  10-4 (Semifinals)

123-58 Overall Record In 14 Seasons

12 Times = First Round (11-1)

11 Times = Second Round (9-2)

9 Times = Quarterfinals (7-2)

7 Times = Semifinals (2-5)

2 Times = State Championship Game (0-2)

One of the biggest challenges in sports is for a coach "to be the guy who replaces THE GUY" as his heir apparent.  It creates an unbelievable pressure that almost cannot be matched.  Barry Switzer did a great job as coach of the Dallas Cowboys but he was not going to live up to the stature of Jimmy Johnson.  The same will be true for whoever follows in the footsteps of Bill Belichick when he retires as head coach of the New England Patriots someday.  

If you want an in-state example look no further than the University of Tennessee.  Phillip Fulmer won more games than his predecessor.  He even won a National Championship to boot.  Tennessee was a perrenial Top 5-8 team in the country under his reign.  Whenever you hear the old timers talk about coaching regimes in Knoxville it's always Johnny Majors #1 and Phillip Fulmer #2.  You hardly ever meet a Volunteers fan that doesn't see it that way.  

I went to Tennessee State University for the Saturday night matchup last season between Hillsboro and Pearl-Cohn.  As 'Catfish' introduced the lineups I noticed how much the Pearl-Cohn community really idolizes Maurice Fitzgerald to this day for the great things his Firebirds teams accomplished through the years.  The 1996 playoff run was one of the first true 'Cinderella Stories' in middle TN football.  The 1997 team was probably the greatest defensive football team in the history of Tennessee High School football.  They went like 7-8 consecutive games without allowing a point to anyone.  

I remember being a kid when Tony Brunetti got his coaching start at Cheatham County in 1997 under then first year head coach Tommy Tharp.  He, current Cheatham County/ex-Sycamore head coach Gary Halstead, current Gibson County/ex-Cheatham County/ex-Stewart County head coach Cody Finley, and current Cheatham County Athletic Director (ex head football coach) Jeremy Boyd all came in for their first year on that same coaching staff after previous head coach Terry Arrington left to start the football program at Kenwood High School in Clarksville-Montgomery County. 

In 2002 when Coach Finley got the Cheatham County coaching job Brunetti left and became the defensive coordinator at Pearl-Cohn.  It was the best decision of his coaching career.  He spent the next 4 years as defensive coordinator/assistant head coach and when he took over the coaching position in 2006 it was a great opportunity.  14 years later I couldn't be happier for Coach Brunetti for the great amount of success he has enjoyed at Pearl-Cohn through the years.  I believe Pearl-Cohn has a great shot of eventually winning a State Championship someday.  

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 2:54 PM, FBfan26 said:

Mmmm NCS we are talking about spearchucker and the bashing of Cane Ridge and pc kids. I didn’t even see your post and we have no problem with anybody opinion as long as it’s not bashing kids.

Not sure why that idiot spearchucker is not banned, if you look at his history it’s all garbage and racially motivated.  Yeah, everyone needs a random mouth-breather from Ashland City giving us his take on Metro schools...

• Upvote 2

On 6/9/2020 at 1:42 AM, BreadTruck28 said:

Not sure why that idiot spearchucker is not banned, if you look at his history it’s all garbage and racially motivated.  Yeah, everyone needs a random mouth-breather from Ashland City giving us his take on Metro schools...

Right I was surprised he made it thru the first couple posts without getting kicked

On 6/8/2020 at 9:35 AM, FBfan26 said:

Ok so I thought DAVIDSON COUNTY not bring able to practice until phase 3 included MBA,LA etc even though they are private schools.

Private schools do pretty much as they wish!  In fact I would encourage the private schools to abandon the TSSAA and form their own league.  They are not well represented within the TSSAA so why not form an organization where you make the rules to fit your needs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, cbg said:

Private schools do pretty much as they wish!  In fact I would encourage the private schools to abandon the TSSAA and form their own league.  They are not well represented within the TSSAA so why not form an organization where you make the rules to fit your needs.

I agree. I don't understand why any public school would play them in any sport.

1 hour ago, fb247 said:

I agree. I don't understand why any public school would play them in any sport.

Public schools play the privates to prepare them for the postseason as the privates typically are strong programs who are well coached and have excellent facilities.  A loss to a private school doesn't negatively affect a public school with playoff seeding.  Money to the public school from the private school offsets costs to run a program.  I can also see the other side where a coach wouldn't want to compete against kids that live down the street from his school and have grown up with the kids in his program.  

12 minutes ago, 17NCS said:

Public schools play the privates to prepare them for the postseason as the privates typically are strong programs who are well coached and have excellent facilities.  A loss to a private school doesn't negatively affect a public school with playoff seeding.  Money to the public school from the private school offsets costs to run a program.  I can also see the other side where a coach wouldn't want to compete against kids that live down the street from his school and have grown up with the kids in his program.  

Privates need to play public schools because of travel concerns and a number of teams to play that are private also. They gain nothing playing a public school. One game against a private school will not make the difference in preparing your team for playoffs. Also remember privates (financial aid giving schools) made the choice to separate . Can't have your cake and eat it too. But being a state champion out of 16-20 schools that you often play during regular season is a big accomplishment and worth bragging about.  I wish they would separate from TSSAA and form their own governing body and not be allowed to play each other.

Edited by fb247

3 hours ago, fb247 said:

Privates need to play public schools because of travel concerns and a number of teams to play that are private also. They gain nothing playing a public school. One game against a private school will not make the difference in preparing your team for playoffs. Also remember privates (financial aid giving schools) made the choice to separate . Can't have your cake and eat it too. But being a state champion out of 16-20 schools that you often play during regular season is a big accomplishment and worth bragging about.  I wish they would separate from TSSAA and form their own governing body and not be allowed to play each other.

If I were a public school coach I would want to play against the good private schools to see just how prepared my team was at that time.  It would give me an opportunity to fix the mistakes before the playoff run began.  My earlier comment had nothing to do with not wanting the public and private schools to compete against each other.  It was merely a statement that all the TSSAA does for the private schools is take their money.  

They don't separate and form another organization because the NFHS will only recognize one organization per state and that place is taken by the TSSAA. Also, governing over sports over the entire state while TRYING to keep an even playing field is a daunting task.

And while we are at it. If all they are doing is taking your money then why are there 3 classes in football and only 2 in the other sports when many privates are so small they don't even play 11 man football? If you are  private school guy you know why. Form your own organization and they would be calling for 10 classes so everyone can toot their horn. Call it the Lipscomb rule.

Edited by MichaelMyers76
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 2:51 PM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Whites Creek is not closing so it is a  moot point. If they don't have football 10 teams would be getting a forfeit win at this late stage of the game. 

We are about to be midway through the first week of the 'Dead Period' and still Whites Creek has no football coach in place.