Metro Rankings

bleacher

3 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

If that’s the case how is Mnps going to hire these qualified coaches when they’re not wanting to speak or come to Mnps? How does that work?

It’s called hard work!  The new MNPS athletic director needs to be working 24/7 going to every athletic event possible.  That includes public, private, middle school, youth leagues, etc…. Anyone that feels the new athletic director will be able to sit in an office and fix all that needs to be fixed is crazy.

It's comical for outsiders of places to constantly state , metro has bad coaching and so and so will do better , they have no clue .. the make up of some of these programs are set for failure , nick saban couldn't fix half these schools . It take special coaches to sit and deal with the headaches of metro schools -"and lack of support . You don't think Brunetti , woods, Broome , gore , and several metro coaches couldn't go to Blackman and Oakland and win ? Athletics are important up there and coaches get to coach . How many times a week do you think county schools have to feed, clothed, help parents , be a counselor/dad, be a psychologist, and all around provide daily for more than 50% of their team. I've seen both aspects of it , so you have no clue . How many kids missed practice cause they have to watch their brother and sister cause mom or dad has another job to provide . It is not the same . My hats off to those guys. When I went to a county school and all I did was coach and go home it was crazy,  . So you continue to have all your answers behind your screen . 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 10/1/2021 at 9:38 PM, cbg said:

Let’s be honest and say that the private schools are going to get most of the really good Davidson County kids if they want them.  We aren’t even going to discuss the MNPS kids that attend school in another county by using an address other than where they live.  I am really not convinced that if you took the best kids that currently play at a MNPS there is enough talent to beat Oakland or Maryville.  

So why ask this question if you already have a strong opinion?

21 hours ago, Hurricane717 said:

It's comical for outsiders of places to constantly state , metro has bad coaching and so and so will do better , they have no clue .. the make up of some of these programs are set for failure , nick saban couldn't fix half these schools . It take special coaches to sit and deal with the headaches of metro schools -"and lack of support . You don't think Brunetti , woods, Broome , gore , and several metro coaches couldn't go to Blackman and Oakland and win ? Athletics are important up there and coaches get to coach . How many times a week do you think county schools have to feed, clothed, help parents , be a counselor/dad, be a psychologist, and all around provide daily for more than 50% of their team. I've seen both aspects of it , so you have no clue . How many kids missed practice cause they have to watch their brother and sister cause mom or dad has another job to provide . It is not the same . My hats off to those guys. When I went to a county school and all I did was coach and go home it was crazy,  . So you continue to have all your answers behind your screen . 

that is well said.  There has been no shortage over the years of coaches who were successful and hard working at other stops take a stab at Metro jobs and not succeed.  These coaches didn't forget how to coach or stop working hard once they arrived at the Metro school.  Kurt Page was successful at Father Ryan and couldn't do much at Hillwood; now Tom Moore, successful at BA, is taking a shot and struggling in year 2.

One thing I said years ago was that when the public/private split happened, all of the schools in Davidson County (public and private) that have histories together should form some sort of "alliance" and agree to work together to build a strong Nashville football community.  The private schools should not only be good citizens and help the public schools but also seek to build a competitive environment within the county that is to their benefit.  Share resources, help with camps, 7-7 leagues, youth leagues, fund raising, etc.  Solve problems together.  Build a system of local rivalries that benefit the Nashville area.   Instead, everyone went their separate ways, and it is way too far gone for a solution like that to work now.  

I am grateful that MBA and Pearl Cohn have preserved their annual game which honors the first integrated game to be played in Nashville.  PC gets the gate every year; I don't know how much that helps but it has to mean something or they wouldn't keep doing it.  And now they have won the past 2 meetings, and MBA will be an underdog for the foreseeable future.

22 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

that is well said.  There has been no shortage over the years of coaches who were successful and hard working at other stops take a stab at Metro jobs and not succeed.  These coaches didn't forget how to coach or stop working hard once they arrived at the Metro school.  Kurt Page was successful at Father Ryan and couldn't do much at Hillwood; now Tom Moore, successful at BA, is taking a shot and struggling in year 2.

One thing I said years ago was that when the public/private split happened, all of the schools in Davidson County (public and private) that have histories together should form some sort of "alliance" and agree to work together to build a strong Nashville football community.  The private schools should not only be good citizens and help the public schools but also seek to build a competitive environment within the county that is to their benefit.  Share resources, help with camps, 7-7 leagues, youth leagues, fund raising, etc.  Solve problems together.  Build a system of local rivalries that benefit the Nashville area.   Instead, everyone went their separate ways, and it is way too far gone for a solution like that to work now.  

I am grateful that MBA and Pearl Cohn have preserved their annual game which honors the first integrated game to be played in Nashville.  PC gets the gate every year; I don't know how much that helps but it has to mean something or they wouldn't keep doing it.  And now they have won the past 2 meetings, and MBA will be an underdog for the foreseeable future.

Not only are some coaches not successful going from a county school to a MNPS but it goes both ways.  Both Bruce Lussier (Oak Ridge) and Brian Rector (Won a state championship at Ravenwood) were very successful at a Tennessee public school but both accomplished very little at Father Ryan.  Look at how successful Kurt Page was by winning a state championship at Father Ryan only to struggle at Hillwood.  Being successful at any endeavor is as much about being in the right place at the right time and being willing to take the risk of walking through the front door.  If the coach, administration, parents, players and alumni are not on the same page there will be problems.  If any of those mentioned above have a different agenda from all the others it will be very difficult to be really successful.  IMO, the biggest obstacle in a coach not being successful is the administration (Board of Trust for private schools) not having the same vision as the coach.  Often time promises are made during the interview process but conveniently forgotten once the coach is hired.  Strictly from a business standpoint I would not take a head coaching job without a contract that stated everything that was promised and a timeline as to when those things would take place.  Most would say that few schools would be willing to sign that legal document and my response is if they are not willing to sign the contract do you really want to work for them?  Let's not forget that the schools require the teachers & coaches to sign a employment contract so this can work both ways.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, fb247 said:

Sounds like metro football is at at lowest it has ever been and looks as if it will never be much better. 

Davidson- (23 high schools in county, 75-78 combined overall record, .490 winning percentage)

Antioch: 6A, 0-6, Cane Ridge: 6A, 4-3, CPA: DII-AA, 7-0, Davidson Academy: DII-AA, 4-3, DCA: DII-A, 6-1, East Nashville: 3A, 4-3, Ensworth: DII-AAA, 6-1, Father Ryan: DII-AAA, 4-3, FRA: DII-AA, 2-5, Glencliff: 4A, 0-6, Goodpasture: DII-AA, 2-3, Hillsboro: 5A, 1-6, Hillwood: 4A, 0-6, Hunters Lane: 5A, 1-6, Lipscomb Academy: DII-AA, 6-1, Maplewood: 3A, 1-5, MBA: DII-AAA, 4-3, McGavock: 6A, 3-4, Nashville Christian: DII-A, 5-1, Nashville Overton: 6A, 4-2, Pearl Cohn: 4A, 6-1, Stratford: 3A, 3-4, Whites Creek: 2A, 2-5  

Just now, fb247 said:

Davidson- (23 high schools in county, 75-78 combined overall record, .490 winning percentage)

Antioch: 6A, 0-6, Cane Ridge: 6A, 4-3, CPA: DII-AA, 7-0, Davidson Academy: DII-AA, 4-3, DCA: DII-A, 6-1, East Nashville: 3A, 4-3, Ensworth: DII-AAA, 6-1, Father Ryan: DII-AAA, 4-3, FRA: DII-AA, 2-5, Glencliff: 4A, 0-6, Goodpasture: DII-AA, 2-3, Hillsboro: 5A, 1-6, Hillwood: 4A, 0-6, Hunters Lane: 5A, 1-6, Lipscomb Academy: DII-AA, 6-1, Maplewood: 3A, 1-5, MBA: DII-AAA, 4-3, McGavock: 6A, 3-4, Nashville Christian: DII-A, 5-1, Nashville Overton: 6A, 4-2, Pearl Cohn: 4A, 6-1, Stratford: 3A, 3-4, Whites Creek: 2A, 2-5  

If not for private schools this winning percentage would be horrible

• Upvote 1