Metro Rankings

bleacher

Beech- Hillsboro great game. Hillsboro beat themselves on and off the field. Very sad to see a player attack physically his own coach. This fight was more violent than Antioch- Overton it was just Hillsboro against Hillsboro. Fans were on field and this behavior carried over from the field to locker room. Police had to intervene. I think Hillsboro should  receive same punishment as Antioch and Overton from TSSAA. I also think the player who pushed Coach Fitzgerald should be arrested and dismissed from Hillsboro High School.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hardtackle said:

Beech- Hillsboro great game. Hillsboro beat themselves on and off the field. Very sad to see a player attack physically his own coach. This fight was more violent than Antioch- Overton it was just Hillsboro against Hillsboro. Fans were on field and this behavior carried over from the field to locker room. Police had to intervene. I think Hillsboro should  receive same punishment as Antioch and Overton from TSSAA. I also think the player who pushed Coach Fitzgerald should be arrested and dismissed from Hillsbotakero High School.

Schools must get their players and fans under control because if the don't you will see the school districts take the easy way out and cancel athletics.

4 minutes ago, cbg said:

Schools must get their players and fans under control because if the don't you will see the school districts take the easy way out and cancel athletics.

Can't fix somethings. Coach Fitzgerald is the best in the city controlling metro kids and even his leadership could not stop this.

Edited by hardtackle

3 hours ago, hardtackle said:

Can't fix somethings. Coach Fitzgerald is the best in the city controlling metro kids and even his leadership could not stop this.

Take my word that if the parents and kids do not get under control and act in a civil manner the school board will eliminate athletics.  

The problem in metro is the behavior plan that was put into effect. No real consequences for your actions. Too many cases to even mention. Kids know they can do whatever they want or say whatever they want and the adults cannot respond. It's sad and it's one of the many reasons good teachers and coaches are leaving metro to go to surrounding counties even if it means taking a pay cut.

Not sure what transpired that started the altercation, but it’s extremely unfortunate. It’s hard to turn on and off. Coaches can’t let the trash talk, taunting , dancing (even joining in at times) go and and then expect to hit the switch and have complete control. Kids (and people in general) aren’t wired that way. Discipline has to be beginning to end, on and off the field, and consistent. 

All of this talk transpires from Hillsboro's inability to kick an extra point. They made one of three PATs. Had all 3 been made they win the game and move on. Even with the influx of immigrants who are soccer players, most metro teams remain  at a disadvantage in the kick game. I suggest spending some time this spring at soccer and try recruiting in your own building.

1 hour ago, bleacher said:

All of this talk transpires from Hillsboro's inability to kick an extra point. They made one of three PATs. Had all 3 been made they win the game and move on. Even with the influx of immigrants who are soccer players, most metro teams remain  at a disadvantage in the kick game. I suggest spending some time this spring at soccer and try recruiting in your own building.

Or going for two when not necessary.  Bad coaching, but who’s counting? Right?

9 hours ago, eers said:

Not sure what transpired that started the altercation, but it’s extremely unfortunate. It’s hard to turn on and off. Coaches can’t let the trash talk, taunting , dancing (even joining in at times) go and and then expect to hit the switch and have complete control. Kids (and people in general) aren’t wired that way. Discipline has to be beginning to end, on and off the field, and consistent. 

I totally agree with what you are saying but can you just imagine how the kids and parents would react to an old school disciplinarian coach like Nick Saban?  The late John Merritt once said that if a player is acting like a fool you can go and knock on that players front door and a fool will answer the door.  The leaf does not fall very far from the tree.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cbg said:

I totally agree with what you are saying but can you just imagine how the kids and parents would react to an old school disciplinarian coach like Nick Saban?  The late John Merritt once said that if a player is acting like a fool you can go and knock on that players front door and a fool will answer the door.  The leaf does not fall very far from the tree.

Very true story. That’s why you see very few metro kids play at top tier college programs. 

However... you give those kids a structure they’ve never had and they buy in, you may be able to conquer the world. I know a lot of you will defend Fitzgerald (and I like the guy), but where that program is right now (and every other metro program except Cane Ridge), shows a lack of leadership. Coaches dancing in the press box and in the sideline shows a lack of professionalism. You want metro to be different? Hire people who will make it different and stand behind them until people buy in. Hillsboro has as much or more talent as anyone in the state in 5A. Set a higher standard if you want higher results. 

12 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Eers what you said is true and makes a lot of sense which is exactly why you won't see it in metro. There are some good coaches in metro but too many administrators will not support them.

It’s a problem from top to bottom; administration, coaches, players, parents, community. That was on display last night with Hillsboro. 

Its unfortunate to see, but until someone decides to make it different it will be the same.