Metro Rankings

bleacher

Most coaches outside the system don't want to come to Metro because they are expected to be teachers first and most are terrible classroom teachers. The surrounding counties will let the football coach sit around and do nothing all day, but it will not happen in Metro. A

Also, all sports are self- sufficient so that means you also have to be a fund raiser on top of teaching a full load and THEN coaching. There are no "Late busses" in Metro. Each school does have an "activity bus", but then you need a driver who has to come back to the building to put the bus up before going home so it is just easier to divide the kids up among coaches.   Coaches with their personal cars full of kids cause the parents sure ain't coming to get them. 

You also have weight rooms that the district has not let you use since 3/11/2020 cause of fear mongering. STILL.

You can talk about how it should be all you want, but that is just how it IS in Metro.

Edited by MichaelMyers76

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Most coaches outside the system don't want to come to Metro because they are expected to be teachers first and most are terrible classroom teachers. The surrounding counties will let the football coach sit around and do nothing all day, but it will not happen in Metro. A

Also, all sports are self- sufficient so that means you also have to be a fund raiser on top of teaching a full load and THEN coaching. There are no "Late busses" in Metro. Each school does have an "activity bus", but then you need a driver who has to come back to the building to put the bus up before going home so it is just easier to divide the kids up among coaches.   Coaches with their personal cars full of kids cause the parents sure ain't coming to get them. 

You also have weight rooms that the district has not let you use since 3/11/2020 cause of fear mongering. STILL.

You can talk about how it should be all you want, but that is just how it IS in Metro.

Facts!! Outside coaches have no idea about having to fund raise!!

Edited by FIREBIRD80

12 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

Facts!!

You appear to be very well versed on MNPS.  What is it going to take for all of the MNPS to be competitive and begin competing for state championships in not only football but all sports?  Everyone knows that what they have been doing is not working.  

For those that say you can't go outside the system to hire coaches because they are terrible in the classroom I pose the question:  Are the teachers in MNPS that great because when you remove Hume Fogg and MLK from the discussion the overall test scores of MNPS are atrocious.  The test scores (ACT & SAT) are much higher for kids from the surrounding counties than in MNPS.  

I am just trying to figure out what needs to be done to fix both athletics and academics in MNPS.  Believe me when I say that money is not the total answer.  The MNPS teachers receive a very good salary with excellent benefits.  

2 hours ago, cbg said:

MNPS it has been way too long since any of the schools consistently (several years in a row) competed for a state championship in football, basketball or baseball and that my friend is not acceptable.  

CR went to state 2017,

PC went to state in 2015 and 2019

Hillsboro went to state in 2014

Stratford went to semifinals in 2018. 

Maplewood went to state in 2011 and semifinals in 2018.     

Maplewood won the state in basketball 2016-2017 season.     

Pearl Cohn has been to state quarter finals in basketball 2018-2019 and 2020-2021 seasons.

Pearl Cohn has couple track championships also recently 

So I think metro has been competing!!!

Edited by FIREBIRD80

20 minutes ago, cbg said:

You appear to be very well versed on MNPS.  What is it going to take for all of the MNPS to be competitive and begin competing for state championships in not only football but all sports?  Everyone knows that what they have been doing is not working.  

For those that say you can't go outside the system to hire coaches because they are terrible in the classroom I pose the question:  Are the teachers in MNPS that great because when you remove Hume Fogg and MLK from the discussion the overall test scores of MNPS are atrocious.  The test scores (ACT & SAT) are much higher for kids from the surrounding counties than in MNPS.  

I am just trying to figure out what needs to be done to fix both athletics and academics in MNPS.  Believe me when I say that money is not the total answer.  The MNPS teachers receive a very good salary with excellent benefits.  

I can't speak on academic part!

There are wonderful teachers in MNPS and some terrible ones, just like most school systems. 

Coaching (and teaching) in MNPS is different than in other counties, and it can be a culture shock to those who come in from the outside.  I think that principals have learned that hiring outside the county for coaching positions is setting coaches up for misery.  Having someone that has dealt with and understands little things like all of the purchase order crap, MNPS eligibility, facility use forms, mowing your own field, fundraising forms, etc. is an easier transition.

I remember when the coach went from Franklin to Hillsboro a few years ago (can't remember his name) and he was told to fill out MNPS eligibility (which is a totally redundant form that has no purpose).  He had no idea what to do until an assistant who coached another sport just took it over.

28 minutes ago, Metroman1 said:

There are wonderful teachers in MNPS and some terrible ones, just like most school systems. 

Coaching (and teaching) in MNPS is different than in other counties, and it can be a culture shock to those who come in from the outside.  I think that principals have learned that hiring outside the county for coaching positions is setting coaches up for misery.  Having someone that has dealt with and understands little things like all of the purchase order crap, MNPS eligibility, facility use forms, mowing your own field, fundraising forms, etc. is an easier transition.

I remember when the coach went from Franklin to Hillsboro a few years ago (can't remember his name) and he was told to fill out MNPS eligibility (which is a totally redundant form that has no purpose).  He had no idea what to do until an assistant who coached another sport just took it over.

Are you telling me that MNPS should continue to lose and not hire from  outside the system because of bureaucratic paperwork that other school systems don't require.  What are the athletic directors doing in MNPS?  Why do they not just takeover the silly paperwork and other clerical task?  It appears as if the MNPS system needs a complete overhaul beginning at the very top and working down to the lowest level.  

Edited by cbg

Personally I think a lot of counties hire from within, not just metro. And personally I don't see anything wrong with it. 

For those that point to all that is wrong in metro you fail to recognize all that is good. Metro has a lot of really good teachers and kids. Private schools might appear to have better teachers because of the scores. You have to remember that private schools admit who they want. Public schools take whoever walks through the doors. 

As far as athletics, PC has been successful in football and track. They have also been pretty successful in basketball. EN has seen success in football, track, and basketball. MW has had success in football and basketball. WC even had a good year in basketball a few years ago. 

For the larger schools CR has been successful in football and basketball. Hillsboro has seen success in football and basketball. There are successes. 

17 hours ago, cbg said:

Are you telling me that MNPS should continue to lose and not hire from  outside the system because of bureaucratic paperwork that other school systems don't require.  What are the athletic directors doing in MNPS?  Why do they not just takeover the silly paperwork and other clerical task?  It appears as if the MNPS system needs a complete overhaul beginning at the very top and working down to the lowest level.  

That is just one example of why MNPS (and all counties) tends to hire from within. How a school and school system work is always different and it can be frustrating.  You can't avoid all bureaucracy regardless of where you teach and coach.

Principals also prefer hiring from within because they can talk to other administrators and coaches offline that they have relationships with.  Lastly, I think that principals know that teacher/coach retention is better within the district than from outside.  Hiring a coach is a pain and they don't want to do it twice.