Metro Rankings

bleacher

35 minutes ago, Metroman1 said:

That is just one example of why MNPS (and all counties) tends to hire from within. How a school and school system work is always different and it can be frustrating.  You can't avoid all bureaucracy regardless of where you teach and coach.

Principals also prefer hiring from within because they can talk to other administrators and coaches offline that they have relationships with.  Lastly, I think that principals know that teacher/coach retention is better within the district than from outside.  Hiring a coach is a pain and they don't want to do it twice.

Hiring a coach is easy if you know what you are doing!  The issue is that principals are not entrepreneurs or business executives and don't have a clue as to how you run a business!  The problem is that like it or not education has become a big business.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, cbg said:

Are you telling me that MNPS should continue to lose and not hire from  outside the system because of bureaucratic paperwork that other school systems don't require.  What are the athletic directors doing in MNPS?  Why do they not just takeover the silly paperwork and other clerical task?  It appears as if the MNPS system needs a complete overhaul beginning at the very top and working down to the lowest level.  

Nice post and truth. I have coaches outside metro tell me they would rather be an assistant in outside counties than head coach in metro. 

3 hours ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

That's easy to say when metro really don't want them. 

Says you. Not a single head coach in metro  could get a head coaching job in Wilson, Sumner, Rutherford, or Williamson if they wanted one. Not a single head coach in one of these counties would even consider a metro job. Like I said even being an assistant is better than being a head coach in metro.

1 hour ago, fb247 said:

Says you. Not a single head coach in metro  could get a head coaching job in Wilson, Sumner, Rutherford, or Williamson if they wanted one. Not a single head coach in one of these counties would even consider a metro job. Like I said even being an assistant is better than being a head coach in metro.

Thats not true! When Pearl Cohn open up in 05 plenty of county coaches applied. Pearl Cohn has a coach in Wilson right now. Once again you just be talking! One thing about me I don't speak on topics without facts sir!!!

Edited by FIREBIRD80

37 minutes ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

Thats not true! When Pearl Cohn open up in 05 plenty of county coaches applied. Pearl Cohn has a coach in Wilson right now. Once again you just be talking! One thing about me I don't speak on topics without facts sir!!!

Not a head coach from metro and not a very good football school either . MJCA ,seriously. LOL

1 hour ago, FIREBIRD80 said:

So if Pearl Cohn assistant can land a job, what makes you think head coach couldn't...smh. So now you moving the goal post? Google MJCA and tell me which county comes up...lol

Your assistant coach from pearl cohn barely beat out the cafeteria manager for the job. Might be the only job he will ever get also. I know what county the school is in. Most that live in the county do not recognize MJCA as a football program. Also talking about public schools not a team that could not beat any other school's JV.

5 hours ago, fb247 said:

Your assistant coach from pearl cohn barely beat out the cafeteria manager for the job. Might be the only job he will ever get also. I know what county the school is in. Most that live in the county do not recognize MJCA as a football program. Also talking about public schools not a team that could not beat any other school's JV.

All I did was bring facts to your lies. Then you moved the goal post as expected...lol

Edited by FIREBIRD80

On 4/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, fb247 said:

This is a little bit of a stretch, and not always true. Clayton left Franklin to take the Hillsboro job and went to the state within 2 years of being there.  Jay Gore was at Brentwood for some time before going to McGavock. I think opportunity is there from both outside MNPS and from within to hire quality coaches. 

The issue is the academic part someone mentioned a few posts prior. MNPS ranks exceptionally low in comparison to other counties across multiple academic levels (reading comprehension, test scores, etc).  Raise the academic level in the district, and in turn raise the athletic level as well.  Why? Because more Metro-Davidson families will choose to send their kids to their local school, instead of a private/charter school.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BennyBones said:

This is a little bit of a stretch, and not always true. Clayton left Franklin to take the Hillsboro job and went to the state within 2 years of being there.  Jay Gore was at Brentwood for some time before going to McGavock. I think opportunity is there from both outside MNPS and from within to hire quality coaches. 

The issue is the academic part someone mentioned a few posts prior. MNPS ranks exceptionally low in comparison to other counties across multiple academic levels (reading comprehension, test scores, etc).  Raise the academic level in the district, and in turn raise the athletic level as well.  Why? Because more Metro-Davidson families will choose to send their kids to their local school, instead of a private/charter school.  

I find the second half of your post to be very interesting. I have been an educator for 21 years and have worked in a large metro setting (Memphis) and small very rural districts. I cannot speaking for metro but only from my experience. The school in which I worked in Memphis experienced some problems academically. But I think the academic problems stemmed from a climate issue. The school was not a safe environment that was conducive to learning. Fights on a daily basis, two guns taken out of the school that year and I even saw a kid get stabbed during lunch. There was no way any significant amount of learning was going to take place in that school. I blame no parent for wanting to take their kid elsewhere. I hope that is not the case in MNPS. But sometimes climate has to be fixed before academics can improve. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 3:21 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I find the second half of your post to be very interesting. I have been an educator for 21 years and have worked in a large metro setting (Memphis) and small very rural districts. I cannot speaking for metro but only from my experience. The school in which I worked in Memphis experienced some problems academically. But I think the academic problems stemmed from a climate issue. The school was not a safe environment that was conducive to learning. Fights on a daily basis, two guns taken out of the school that year and I even saw a kid get stabbed during lunch. There was no way any significant amount of learning was going to take place in that school. I blame no parent for wanting to take their kid elsewhere. I hope that is not the case in MNPS. But sometimes climate has to be fixed before academics can improve. 

I'll admit at first I was unsure of what you meant by climate, but I think I understand.  I do think there are a significant number of parents in MNPS who don't send their kids to their local school or any MNPS school for the sake of the academics and/or environment of that school and/or district. 

In turn all the best athletes flock to the schools that are winning.  *Insert recruiting, cheating, etc arguments*, but in reality why would an top-tier athlete want to go to a school that has not won many games and has poor academic value.  Instead you could go to Cane Ridge, Pearl Cohn, Hillsboro, etc and at least trade off the academics for the athletics.  

Academics and athletics are not inseparable in MNPS.   Raise the academic standards and I believe you will raise the athletic level.

Edited by BennyBones