Grace Christian Knoxville

17SoccerFan

Article in Knox news sentinel that's tells the story. Chasing records against inferior competition versus somebody like Laura Lauter that played against much better competition at Farragut. Happy for the student athlete as it is a fine accomplishment and hope she has a good career at Arkansas. Sad for high school sports in general though as I fear some "coaches" and schools have no clue about sportsmanship and coaching high school sports.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or 19-0... but I have said my peace on this school / team / coach. Rumor has it that the school is trying to stay in D1. I wonder why???

Yup, Grace and Catholic are both fighting tooth and nail to stay in D1. I don't really see how that's even possible, but I guess we'll see what final decisions are made next week.

Article in Knox news sentinel that's tells the story. Chasing records against inferior competition versus somebody like Laura Lauter that played against much better competition at Farragut. Happy for the student athlete as it is a fine accomplishment and hope she has a good career at Arkansas. Sad for high school sports in general though as I fear some "coaches" and schools have no clue about sportsmanship and coaching high school sports.

Scoring records? I'm glad my school and coach put a priority on sportsmanship. Beating teams brains out with these outrageously lopsided scores gives these schools and coaches a well deserved black eye. Its really unfortunate.

Yup, Grace and Catholic are both fighting tooth and nail to stay in D1. I don't really see how that's even possible, but I guess we'll see what final decisions are made next week.

I'm not sure where you're getting your story from but we are going to division 2. Never once was our goal to stay D1. You'll see the news within a few days

I'm not sure where you're getting your story from but we are going to division 2. Never once was our goal to stay D1. You'll see the news within a few days

All of the scuttlebutt over the past month or so with those two schools had been focused on football and remaining in D1. I'm certainly no expert so I appreciate the clarification.

Scoring records? I'm glad my school and coach put a priority on sportsmanship. Beating teams brains out with these outrageously lopsided scores gives these schools and coaches a well deserved black eye. Its really unfortunate.

This is so ridiculous. I can't tell you how many games we've finished with eight or nine players on the field, while placing restrictions on our girls before they are allowed to score another goal. We have girls that this is their first year ever playing as well as 8th grader and they are still scoring even after the coaches restrictions. Not one single coach has said anything about our play this season. Let me add just one more thing, after the Harriman game Tuesday night there were two Harriman parents that came up to the coaches and said, " I just want to let you know that your team is the classiest group of girls that we have played all season. I realize the score was lopsided but we also noticed how you finish the game with 9 players and moved the ball all over the field without trying to score right off, and we noticed that you had very young and new players in as well and they deserve a chance to score, we really appreciate that and applaud your school." So, this came from a mom and dad of a Harriman player after the game that was praising the players and coaches for the way they represented themselves on the field. You say we have a black eye but none of the opposing teams nor coaches has said one thing. It's the, not in the know, bloggers that's giving the black eye . I think it's time to maybe start complaining about the 56 - 0 football scores and lay off of soccer and I think it's time to go to another topic and let this one rest because if you don't know all the facts, you should not be jumping on the bandwagon.

Edited by Ram Fan

This is so ridiculous. I can't tell you how many games we've finished with eight or nine players on the field, while placing restrictions on our girls before they are allowed to score another goal. We have girls that this is their first year ever playing as well as 8th grader and they are still scoring even after the coaches restrictions. Not one single coach has said anything about our play this season. Let me add just one more thing, after the Harriman game Tuesday night there were two Harriman parents that came up to the coaches and said, " I just want to let you know that your team is the classiest group of girls that we have played all season. I realize the score was lopsided but we also noticed how you finish the game with 9 players and moved the ball all over the field without trying to score right off, and we noticed that you had very young and new players in as well and they deserve a chance to score, we really appreciate that and applaud your school." So, this came from a mom and dad of a Harriman player after the game that was praising the players and coaches for the way they represented themselves on the field. You say we have a black eye but none of the opposing teams nor coaches has said one thing. It's the, not in the know, bloggers that's giving the black guy . I think it's time to maybe start complaining about the 56 - 0 football scores and lay off of soccer and I think it's time to go to another topic and let this one rest because if you don't know all the facts, you should not be jumping on the bandwagon.

Did not read. Scores speak for themselves.

so refreshin to b talkin bout another school.....for years were always talkin bout one of those North Eastern schools....aint nobody can run up scores like that greeneville to Johnson City area

Catholic North r not stayin D1

Booger just sayin  :popcorneater:

Edited by Booger

Ram Fan, I promise I'm not trying to start waves.  I know of some great people associated with Grace.  But I do have a question as I've seen the scores throughout the season that concerns the early part of the game rather than the late stages.

A big concern I see is that it's not just the "team" that is doing this with backups, etc.   The newspaper article mentioned the star player's 6 goals the other night, and I specifically remember seeing a scoreline much earlier in the year where she had 6 goals and 2-3 assists, several or most of them in the first half.  I am not blaming a player for going out and wanting to score goals or for doing what her coach says, but from a coach's view it's a whole lot different to me when you have backups still able to score against a team vs. a coach having a star player scoring at will and continually against lower quality teams, even if it's during a short window.  There are multiple teams that have "that player" each year who could go off for 4-6 goals in a low-competition game, possibly even in a half, but choose not to allow them to do so, as I see most usually shut it down once 2-3 goals are obtained for that player and the game is well decided.  So why is this situation different?  Just the scoring title?

Ram Fan, I promise I'm not trying to start waves.  I know of some great people associated with Grace.  But I do have a question as I've seen the scores throughout the season that concerns the early part of the game rather than the late stages.

A big concern I see is that it's not just the "team" that is doing this with backups, etc.   The newspaper article mentioned the star player's 6 goals the other night, and I specifically remember seeing a scoreline much earlier in the year where she had 6 goals and 2-3 assists, several or most of them in the first half.  I am not blaming a player for going out and wanting to score goals or for doing what her coach says, but from a coach's view it's a whole lot different to me when you have backups still able to score against a team vs. a coach having a star player scoring at will and continually against lower quality teams, even if it's during a short window.  There are multiple teams that have "that player" each year who could go off for 4-6 goals in a low-competition game, possibly even in a half, but choose not to allow them to do so, as I see most usually shut it down once 2-3 goals are obtained for that player and the game is well decided.  So why is this situation different?  Just the scoring title?

Good question.  Yes, 90% of her goals are in the first half, she doesn't play too often in the 2nd half because if she did she would have already crushed the state scoring title. We have played 16 games. The Lady Rams have scored 163 goals thus far, the star player has scored 61 of those predominantly in the first half. The rest of the team has scored 102 goals which equals 6.4 goals per game.  The star player has 61 goals which averages 3.8 per game.  As I've said in previous posts.....the district is extremely weak, other than Rockwood.  You say that each year there are multiple teams that have "that player" that could go 4-6 goals per game but choose not to allow them to do so and most usually shut it down to 2-3 goals per game.......well,  our star is right in the middle with 3.8 goals per game.  I honestly and truthfully do not see a problem with a star player that averages 3.8 per game.  Yes, her coach asked if her if she would like to entertain the fact that she could possible break the state record....she said yes and so she has been given that opportunity which I feel is a great opportunity.  I know Laura personally (the current state record holder),  she told my wife just one week ago that records are made to be broken and she wishes our player the best and hope she is able to do it.  So,  maybe the answer is the scoring title.