Best young talent

abouttogetmessi

The rankings are different from the recruiting. Players have to register with TDS and pay $ to get stars. As far as the school team rankings, they are pretty exhaustive at the top (SIMA 50). All about the quality of players in those teams and the results those teams are having against other top teams.

From their latest weekly rankings newsletter:

February 8, 2016 - When the FAB 50 debuted in 1999, the impetus was to publish weekly high school soccer rankings, which was unheard of at the time, and provide the detail on those ranked teams to create context and understanding, thus educating the high school soccer fan.

While leagues have changed and dynasties have come and gone over the nearly 20 years of FAB 50 rankings, one thing has remained amazingly the same -- the strength of East Bay Athletic League girls soccer. In a week with very little movement among the SIMA FAB 50 elite, it is a good time to shed some light on the EBAL, a Northern California league that has five teams ranked in the SIMA FAB 50 Top 25.

The EBAL is a 10-team league where several of the teams play a home-and-home series to fill out a 13-match league schedule. With so many head-to-head games among these quality programs, it is easy to understand why some EBAL teams don't have the gaudy records often turned in by quality programs that play in inferior leagues, inferior states, or worse yet, avoid stepping up to play quaility competition when the talent level warrants it.

Some leagues around the country are judged solely by the accomplishments of the top teams. Others claim to have quality of depth in a league. Some focus on the quality college destinations of its top players. But any way you look at it, the EBAL has no equal -- at least not this year.

To truly appreciate the quality of the EBAL, it's best to focus on the nonleague contests played by those 10 schools, and the numbers are simply staggering. EBAL teams are a combined 59-5-2 against non-EBAL opponents. Six teams are undefeated in nonleague games. Some key accomplishments for EBAL programs this year include Carondelet (Concord, Calif.) traveling to the National Elite Prep Showcase in Texas where it went 4-0 and Monte Vista (Danville, Calif.) going perfect at the Tri-Valley Classic, which included a 2-0 win over longtime Florida powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.). And neither Carondelet nor Monte Vista is in first place in the league. Flip it to the other end of the EBAL and Dougherty Valley (San Ramon, Calif.) is 0-10-1 in the league, yet a perfect 8-0 outside the league. Everywhere you look, there's quality.

The final week for EBAL league play takes place this week, and the regular season title is still up for grabs. The next chance EBAL teams get to show off their quality will be the section playoffs, and it would not be a surprise to see three, perhaps even all four, section semifinalists hailing from the EBAL.

BIG MOVERS: BOYS: Doral Academy (Doral, Fla.). Doral has been up and down in the rankings, and this week's 11-spot jump to No. 36 makes it the biggest mover in the rankings. ... GIRLS: Quartz Hill (Calif.). Quartz Hill moves from No. 47 to No. 33 this week, the largest jump aming the ranked teams. Quartz Hill is still undefeated, although its tie was actually a shootout loss.

NEWCOMERS: BOYS: No. 44 Tolleson Union (Tolleson, Ariz.), No. 45 Hueneme (Oxnard, Calif.), No. 46 Coronado (Calif.), No. 47 McClatchy (Sacramento, Calif.) and No. 50 Trinity Christian Academy (Addison, Texas). ... GIRLS: No. 37 Chaminade (West Hills, Calif.), No. 42 Monterey (Lubbock, Texas), No. 49 Lewisville (Texas) and No. 50 Klein Oak (Spring, Texas).

###

O: 562-513-372

[email protected]

Incorrect on paying $$ to get rankings for individual players. To be listed in the database is free.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the all state class A/AA is as you say picking 15- girls which is less than 1% of the players in the state in the classification, what you did not mention is that if a coach is not a member of the THSSCA, their players are not eligible to be picked. So in reality that automatically eliminates a chunk of players from selection, especially at the smaller schools whose coaches may not be members.

Also, the last few years before this year, as i was told by a local coach, 14 of the spots were reserved for players of teams that make the state tournament with the last  spots going to players on teams not at the state tournament. so 14 players from 8 teams are chosen, and roughly 4-8 players from the reaming 142 schools were picked. so if you lost in the first round of state you got 1 guarantee player on the team, semifinal losers got 2 spots, and you got 3 if you made the final. the remaining 4-8 spots could also come from those teams but not guaranteed.

This year she said that a list of nominated players was sent out for member coaches to vote on, but she was not sent anything about nominating players from her team even though she was a member of the coaches association.

it seems like a small group of coaches running the coaches association set up the all state team to benefit their teams chances of getting players on it.

• 3 weeks later...

the all state class A/AA is as you say picking 15- girls which is less than 1% of the players in the state in the classification, what you did not mention is that if a coach is not a member of the THSSCA, their players are not eligible to be picked. So in reality that automatically eliminates a chunk of players from selection, especially at the smaller schools whose coaches may not be members.

Also, the last few years before this year, as i was told by a local coach, 14 of the spots were reserved for players of teams that make the state tournament with the last  spots going to players on teams not at the state tournament. so 14 players from 8 teams are chosen, and roughly 4-8 players from the reaming 142 schools were picked. so if you lost in the first round of state you got 1 guarantee player on the team, semifinal losers got 2 spots, and you got 3 if you made the final. the remaining 4-8 spots could also come from those teams but not guaranteed.

This year she said that a list of nominated players was sent out for member coaches to vote on, but she was not sent anything about nominating players from her team even though she was a member of the coaches association.

it seems like a small group of coaches running the coaches association set up the all state team to benefit their teams chances of getting players on it.

The part about players from non-member schools is incorrect.  While schools have to be members to have players named to the all state team, if a player makes the all state selection, coaches are retroactively given the opportunity to join the organization so that no player is omitted from selection.  This is allowed after the nomination because it is the right way to do it.

The part about 22 players in A/AA is correct.

The part about an all state team "eliminating a chunk of player from selection" is correct.  That is the point of an all state team, it is limited to a small group of players.

The part about 14 slots being allocated to teams which make the final 8 at state is correct

The part about someone getting a list of nominated players but not getting to nominate players... not going to comment about (1) second hand information and (2) complaints where neither names or specifics are included.

The part about "a small group of coaches running the coaches association.... to benefit their (sic) chances of getting players on it" is incorrect.

There are essentially two approaches to making an all state team in a sport outside of football or basketball:

1. "X" amount of players equally spread across each region

2. Limiting the number of slots using reasonable methodology

The THSSAA has opted for the second method in class A/AA.

Without providing any specifics, it poor to suggest this organization is set up and the process reverse engineered to have predetermined outcomes to benefit a small group of its members.

JFW

Edited by JFW3

The part about players from non-member schools is incorrect. While schools have to be members to have players named to the all state team, if a player makes the all state selection, coaches are retroactively given the opportunity to join the organization so that no player is omitted from selection. This is allowed after the nomination because it is the right way to do it.

The part about 22 players in A/AA is correct.

The part about an all state team "eliminating a chunk of player from selection" is correct. That is the point of an all state team, it is limited to a small group of players.

The part about 14 slots being allocated to teams which make the final 8 at state is correct

The part about someone getting a list of nominated players but not getting to nominate players... not going to comment about (1) second hand information and (2) complaints where neither names or specifics are included.

The part about "a small group of coaches running the coaches association.... to benefit their (sic) chances of getting players on it" is incorrect.

There are essentially two approaches to making an all state team in a sport outside of football or basketball:

1. "X" amount of players equally spread across each region

2. Limiting the number of slots using reasonable methodology

The THSSAA has opted for the second method in class A/AA.

Without providing any specifics, it poor to suggest this organization is set up and the process reverse engineered to have predetermined outcomes to benefit a small group of its members.

JFW

Having a list that large for A/AA is too big IMO. All mid state has every school in all classifications and its a normal sized list. Makes no sense to have a list as large as the A/AA one.

Having a list that large for A/AA is too big IMO. All mid state has every school in all classifications and its a normal sized list. Makes no sense to have a list as large as the A/AA one.

22 players is a normal roster size but I'm assuming you mean limiting it to 11 total.  In a world where soccer was the primary sport and there were multiple groups of informed coaches and members of the media weighing in, that would probably work but I just don't know of any other way to do this other than the way it's currently being done.

Just as a point of reference, AAA had close to 50 girls so the A/AA is less than half that even though there are more A/AA soccer programs than AAA.

22 players is a normal roster size but I'm assuming you mean limiting it to 11 total. In a world where soccer was the primary sport and there were multiple groups of informed coaches and members of the media weighing in, that would probably work but I just don't know of any other way to do this other than the way it's currently being done.

Just as a point of reference, AAA had close to 50 girls so the A/AA is less than half that even though there are more A/AA soccer programs than AAA.

Do it the same way the all midstate team is done with a 1st and 2nd team comprised of 18 or so players. That makes sense not the current structure for those classifications. What you have now resembles NO postseason awards team anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Do it the same way the all midstate team is done with a 1st and 2nd team comprised of 18 or so players. That makes sense not the current structure for those classifications. What you have now resembles NO postseason awards team anywhere.

Your initial post said that the current system of 22 players was too large and your follow up post is suggesting either having 18 players total listed as 1st and 2nd team, or having two lists of 18 players for a 1st and 2nd team.  36 total seems like a large number, and 18 is not much less than 22.  I guess I'm not following what you are suggesting.

Your initial post said that the current system of 22 players was too large and your follow up post is suggesting either having 18 players total listed as 1st and 2nd team, or having two lists of 18 players for a 1st and 2nd team. 36 total seems like a large number, and 18 is not much less than 22. I guess I'm not following what you are suggesting.

Have a first and second team if you want to include a ton of kids. To me that's the best way to do it rather than all first team kids. Having 36 first team players is way too large. I am conflicted though. I think the kids should enjoy post season awards but at what point does it diminish the award by having a list that's too large?