Future of Grundy County

allblack

I haven't heard anything. My son graduated so I have no clue. I have many friends up on the mtn. Would love for gc to get back to being competitive in football. I keep of hearing of a name that they want to offer the job to. If he gets the job kids will play for him and will win. He could get kids out of hall way and onto the field. Hope he gets the job. Time for a change on the mtn

This will get a little long winded. For starters, I am not a north/south person but a Grundy County graduate. We have so many deficiencies that winning football games should pale in comparison. Two schools on the mountain? Folks, we cannot properly fund the school system with just one high school. The funding will never be available for two high schools in Grundy County. If we sit back long enough you will see that funding 6 grammar schools in our county will break us. Now I am not an accounting expert but if the process has worked for surrounding counties (both financially and athletically) then it would work in Grundy County. Our children deserve the same opportunities as our neighbors. Curriculums and the overall atmosphere changes when you place 6-8 grade under one roof and keep the pre-k-5 together. This is beneficial for both academics and athletics as well as the safety of our pre-k through 5 grade students. I realize this wipes out big 8 basketball but that one thing has been the biggest thorn dividing this county. People wonder why Bledsoe county has become succeful, why Sequatchie county dominates, why Whitwell not only competes but beats Grundy county.....folks, there is a common denominator and it is not coaching. It is our complete disregard for doing what is responsible. Build a middle school. With that said, I can hear the arguments coming for why we need all six grammar schools. They are all selfish. Property values will not decrease because you now live 5-10 miles further from a school. Your community will not collapse. Your businesses will not close. Businesses do not open because of schools, they open because of communities supporting them. Give our kids 2-3 additional years of learning and playing together and watch the progress both on the field and in the classroom. Any coach with high expectations would be crazy to want a job on the mountain. Until we can do what's right, until our priorities are in order, until we embrace the necessary change, Grundy county will continue to fall further and further behind. Not just in the classroom but on the scoreboard.

Well put!

This will get a little long winded. For starters, I am not a north/south person but a Grundy County graduate. We have so many deficiencies that winning football games should pale in comparison. Two schools on the mountain? Folks, we cannot properly fund the school system with just one high school. The funding will never be available for two high schools in Grundy County. If we sit back long enough you will see that funding 6 grammar schools in our county will break us. Now I am not an accounting expert but if the process has worked for surrounding counties (both financially and athletically) then it would work in Grundy County. Our children deserve the same opportunities as our neighbors. Curriculums and the overall atmosphere changes when you place 6-8 grade under one roof and keep the pre-k-5 together. This is beneficial for both academics and athletics as well as the safety of our pre-k through 5 grade students. I realize this wipes out big 8 basketball but that one thing has been the biggest thorn dividing this county. People wonder why Bledsoe county has become succeful, why Sequatchie county dominates, why Whitwell not only competes but beats Grundy county.....folks, there is a common denominator and it is not coaching. It is our complete disregard for doing what is responsible. Build a middle school. With that said, I can hear the arguments coming for why we need all six grammar schools. They are all selfish. Property values will not decrease because you now live 5-10 miles further from a school. Your community will not collapse. Your businesses will not close. Businesses do not open because of schools, they open because of communities supporting them. Give our kids 2-3 additional years of learning and playing together and watch the progress both on the field and in the classroom. Any coach with high expectations would be crazy to want a job on the mountain. Until we can do what's right, until our priorities are in order, until we embrace the necessary change, Grundy county will continue to fall further and further behind. Not just in the classroom but on the scoreboard.

This will get a little long winded. For starters, I am not a north/south person but a Grundy County graduate. We have so many deficiencies that winning football games should pale in comparison. Two schools on the mountain? Folks, we cannot properly fund the school system with just one high school. The funding will never be available for two high schools in Grundy County. If we sit back long enough you will see that funding 6 grammar schools in our county will break us. Now I am not an accounting expert but if the process has worked for surrounding counties (both financially and athletically) then it would work in Grundy County. Our children deserve the same opportunities as our neighbors. Curriculums and the overall atmosphere changes when you place 6-8 grade under one roof and keep the pre-k-5 together. This is beneficial for both academics and athletics as well as the safety of our pre-k through 5 grade students. I realize this wipes out big 8 basketball but that one thing has been the biggest thorn dividing this county. People wonder why Bledsoe county has become succeful, why Sequatchie county dominates, why Whitwell not only competes but beats Grundy county.....folks, there is a common denominator and it is not coaching. It is our complete disregard for doing what is responsible. Build a middle school. With that said, I can hear the arguments coming for why we need all six grammar schools. They are all selfish. Property values will not decrease because you now live 5-10 miles further from a school. Your community will not collapse. Your businesses will not close. Businesses do not open because of schools, they open because of communities supporting them. Give our kids 2-3 additional years of learning and playing together and watch the progress both on the field and in the classroom. Any coach with high expectations would be crazy to want a job on the mountain. Until we can do what's right, until our priorities are in order, until we embrace the necessary change, Grundy county will continue to fall further and further behind. Not just in the classroom but on the scoreboard.[/quote

Well said. It'll be interesting to see how the coaches can find away to blow a game against Dekalb. Losing a quarterback like Jennings and on a two game losing streak what better team to get back on track for. Dekalb wins 28-6.

Grundy almost pulled an upset tonight guys. Bye 22 Grundy 20. Better luck next week.

I can't stop laughing at this post lol. I feel sorry for the kids on that team. A few good people on that mountain, but not enough to straighten out all the drama going on up there. Probably help if they would fire the coach and actually pay someone who has experience and some wins at the high school level. Probably help out a lot if the entire school board would step down and Grundy just hit the reset button. What could hurt? Grundy county sports have been on the decline for years anyway.

Grundy can't afford a middle school what Grundy really should do is move all 7-8th graders up to the high school. And at this point why would I support the county in building a middle school when they have ran the high school into the ground and are still paying for it. It'll be another 20 years before its paid off. The simple solution would be to close down 2-3 elementary schools which would save roughly 1+ million a year and use it to pay off the high school. Our county is so corrupt that I can foresee our children's grandkids goin through the same crap we are now..yes I want another high school built but that high school would not be run by the county but by the city..they would form their own school board charge a 1,200 dollar tuition to any kid not living in the city and offer the best technology classes available on the market to include your standard classes. Tracy elementary is big enough right now to hold k-12 there are a bunch of classrooms that have been turned into storage rooms. The whole purpose of the city school would be to get rid of the county from ruining our kids lives like they have now. I'm looking out for what's best for my boys and if things don't change then I'll be sending them off the mountain to a private school like mcallie or Boyd Buchanan..

Grundy can't afford a middle school what Grundy really should do is move all 7-8th graders up to the high school. And at this point why would I support the county in building a middle school when they have ran the high school into the ground and are still paying for it. It'll be another 20 years before its paid off. The simple solution would be to close down 2-3 elementary schools which would save roughly 1+ million a year and use it to pay off the high school. Our county is so corrupt that I can foresee our children's grandkids goin through the same crap we are now..yes I want another high school built but that high school would not be run by the county but by the city..they would form their own school board charge a 1,200 dollar tuition to any kid not living in the city and offer the best technology classes available on the market to include your standard classes. Tracy elementary is big enough right now to hold k-12 there are a bunch of classrooms that have been turned into storage rooms. The whole purpose of the city school would be to get rid of the county from ruining our kids lives like they have now. I'm looking out for what's best for my boys and if things don't change then I'll be sending them off the mountain to a private school like mcallie or Boyd Buchanan..

There are other good academic schools much closer to you than those. I know of one in particular that has been recognized academically at the state level recently.

There are other good academic schools much closer to you than those. I know of one in particular that has been recognized academically at the state level recently.

I appreciate the offer but I'd never send my kids to a Marion county school..I work in Chattanooga and I Atleast know what I'm gettin if I send my boys to either of those 2 schools

Your right it is what it is. All everyone wants to do is talk about change but no one wants to help or step up and be involved in making any. That's how come things are like they are now and being ran by the one family. We all sit back and let it get this way. We heard about change during election time and now the new board is in place so let's see if they stick to the word CHANGE that got them elected. Or are they gonna get corrupt just like the rest. I guess time will tell.

Word on the street is that Marion county schools are the ones that don't wanna schedule with grundy anymore cause of the whole recruiting thing goin on..hate to see that our biggest rival wants to go their separate ways from us but maybe it would also be a good thing to take a break in the rivalry. That being said there are plenty of schools in the area that grundy could schedule that would be good games..Franklin county warren county Moore county huntland tullahoma there is also bad blood with coffee county..granted most of those schools are Atleast 5A I think the competition could be a good thing for Grundy playing higher a schools..huntland an Moore would be two relatively easy wins