GCA @ Wartburg Central

BarneySox2007

Well I was surprised to see Wartburg has now lost 19 games in a row going back to the 2014 season. The TSSAA should take provisions on teams like this and Union County and a few others and put them all in one unique class so some of these teams could get the experience of winning a few games instead of getting kicked around by all the other schools. 

That’s about dumbest thing every these schools need to step it up and fined a good coach and have a program just look at Campbell  county not so long ago they was a warmup game for teams  now they have something good going

This the first time in 5 or 6 years that Coalfield has had to rely on transfers to come in and play big roles. Most of our starters on offense and defense have went to coalfield since elementary or middle school. We just happened to have the best athlete in the county to transfer to us so it looks bad.

You said it  BIG ROLES and most of the starters  Yes  Coalfield has been doing this stuff every since Gary Kries took over it started with him pulling all the PJ  kids away from Wartburg great move on his part   no I am not bashing I for one think you should  stay in your school and build your on program The last time that Coalfield did not have transfers was the Henrys 1st couple of years and the people of coalfield wanted to run them out of town because of the records I have said it before and will say it again my 1st cousins boy went to Coalfield and they was some stuff that  went on that is flat out wrong not Rumors but Facts

You said it BIG ROLES and most of the starters Yes Coalfield has been doing this stuff every since Gary Kries took over it started with him pulling all the PJ kids away from Wartburg great move on his part no I am not bashing I for one think you should stay in your school and build your on program The last time that Coalfield did not have transfers was the Henrys 1st couple of years and the people of coalfield wanted to run them out of town because of the records I have said it before and will say it again my 1st cousins boy went to Coalfield and they was some stuff that went on that is flat out wrong not Rumors but Facts

This is really the first time under the Henry's that Coalfield has gotten high quality transfers. We actually lost a couple of kids to Wartburg during their first few years. Edited by TheMan2015

And in Morgan Co where WB is located, it's ok to even recruit from other schools. The beauty of it is the TSSAA doesn't even care.

Morgan Co. is a tough place to coach.  They don't pay a dime towards teachers' insurance so they can't keep people at places like Wartburg, which is also full of a bunch of weird backstabbing drama that throws anyone who tries to build a program under the bus.

They had a good coach a few years ago, but he left for a job at Clinton because of the insurance issue.  After that, they hired a guy who pretty much alienated everyone around the program (it wasn't all his fault--I know the situation there and he had a lot of bizarre backstabbing going on to undermine him to the parents and kids).  That's the coach who got them their last win (2014 against Jellico).  He got ran out of town on a rail.

Then they fired him and promoted somebody from the good ol' boys network who doesn't know jack about football--he hasn't won a single game in a season and a half.  Wartburg has won 1 game since 2013!  ONE!!!

Wartburg could be a good program, but they have a disadvantage.  All the Morgan County schools do, really but Coalfield gets the cream of the football crop because of how Morgan County does their zoning and allows kids to play wherever they want.  The system is basically designed to all feed one powerhouse program and let the others rot.

Edited by BlueDevil58

Well I guess this is the same old tired topic of Wartburg football. Someone earlier mentioned the 2010 team that went to the state quarter finals. That seems like a long time ago now, sadly. Someone else also mentioned Larry Davis not wanting to come back last year. Well, I heard the exact opposite from a teacher and coach at Wartburg. The fact is, Davis did want to come back and the retiring principle obliged him. To me , Wartburg needs to send Davis packing at the end of this season and hire a quality coach. From what I hear, Wartburg had a good middle school team this year with several players that could develop into great high school players, if they don't go to Coalfield or somewhere else. I do feel that Wartburg will be back one day and like others on here mention, teams go in cycles. But until Larry Davis and his head shaking excuses are gone, Wartburg will remain on this downward spiral.