2016 Autozone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star Game

kwc

WLMT CW 30 to televise AutoZone HS all-star game

WLMT CW 30 will televise this year's AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star game, presented by ARS/Conway Services and the Tennessee Highway Safety Office.

The event – now in its 15th season â€“ features the top 80 seniors from 51 public and private schools in the Memphis area. This year's game will take place on Dec. 10 at Stokes Stadium on the campus of Memphis University School.

"We're excited to announce this new partnership with CW 30," said Steve Ehrhart, the executive director of the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. "The AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star football game continues its tradition of showcasing the top players in the Memphis area and now football fans throughout the Memphis/Mid-South area will have the opportunity of watching the college stars of tomorrow in their final high school game."

The coaches for this year's game will be announced Wednesday during a noon luncheon at the Westin Hotel downtown.

Jones, Rocconi to coach AutoZone High School All-Stars

636111792584111468-0821-malo-John-Varlas John Varlas , john.varlas@commercialappeal.com
5:21 p.m. CDT October 5, 2016

636112864510126980-Joe-Rocconi.JPG

(Photo: The Commercial Appeal files)

Football coaching - especially on the high school level - has a way of keeping one humble. And no one knows that better than the coaches at the 15th AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star game, Joe Rocconi of White Station and Cordova's Anthony Jones.

Rocconi's down-to-earth moment came when he told his wife he had been named to coach the Red team at the game that takes place Dec. 10 at 2:30 p.m. at Memphis University School.

636112867242016492-Anthony-Jones-Cordova

Cordova head coach Anthony Jones during pre-season practice. 

(Photo: Mark Weber/The Commercial Appeal files)

"She's my biggest fan. Well, she's my only fan," Rocconi said during Wednesday's announcement at the Westin Hotel downtown. "I told her I was named to coach in the game  and she said, 'really?' And I said, 'well, yeah.' And then she said, 'so they didn't have anybody else available?'

"It's good when you have a wife that keeps you from being caught up in things. I'm excited but I'm also very humbled. You look at some of the coaches that have coached in this game like (Whitehaven's) Rodney Saulsberry or my old coach at Collierville Paul Cox. What an honor."

Jones, whose Cordova team is undefeated and ranked second in The Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen and fifth in the state in 6A heading into Friday's game against - ironically enough - White Station, is a self-described small boy from inner-city Memphis who grew up with football dreams.

"So many coaches that I admired from afar, like Bobby Alston from MUS," he said. "And then the Whitehaven football program, you always wanted to beat them but you never could as a player or a coach. When I got to college, I knew I wasn't going to be good enough to make it to the NFL. 

"But as a coach - and I think I can speak for coach Rocconi - you just want to help young men. That's our mission, our true calling. I'm very humbled to be coach the Blue team."

Both coaches had previously served as assistants in the game, which showcases the tremendous high school football talent in the area.

"I think the quote I always use is, 'Dang, that kid can fly," said Rocconi. "Or, 'Dang, that kid is huge.'"

Assisting Rocconi on the Red team are Chester Ford of Melrose, Wooddale's Jerome Griffin, Will Hudgens of Houston, Kevin Patterson of Fairley and Northpoint's Greg Wallace. The Blue assistants are David Carter of St. George's, Carl Coleman of Manassas, Preston Harris of Douglass, Brighton's Robin Jacobs and Arlington's Adam Sykes.

This year's game will be televised on WLMT CW 30 and broadcast on Sports 56. The series is tied 7-7 following last year's 18-14 victory by the Red team. 

• 1 month later...

ROSTERS SET

Five Mr. Football finalists highlight the rosters for the 15th AutoZone Liberty Bowl high school all-star game, which takes place Dec. 10 at MUS.

Three of those will be on White Station's Joe Rocconi red team, Whitehaven's Kylan Watkins and Aubrey Miller, who are finalists in the 6A back and lineman categories, and Chase Hayden of St. George's (D2-A back), Cordova's Anthony Jones has Trezevant's Cordarrian Richardson (2A back) and Griffin Hawkins of Briarcrest (D2-AA lineman) on the blue team.

Tickets for the 2:30 game are $10 ($5 for children under 6) and can be purchased by calling the AutoZone Liberty Bowl ticket office at 795-7700. WLMT-CW 30 will televise the game and it will also air on Sports 56/87.7 FM.

The contest is presented this year by ARS Conway Services and the Tennessee Highway Safety Office.

AutoZone Liberty Bowl all-star rosters set

John Varlas , john.varlas@commercialappeal.com 8:45 p.m. CST November 20, 2016

Here are the rosters for the 15th AutoZone Liberty Bowl high school all-star football game, presented by ARS/Conway Services and the Tennessee Highway Safety Office. Kickoff is 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 10 at Memphis University School.

RED TEAM

1-Timothy Taylor; RB, East; 2-Kelvin Parker, LB, Fairley; 3-Myles Baker, CB, White Station; 4-Shabar Wilson, DL, Whitehaven; 5-Kreshun Jones, LB, Wooddale; 6-Kendric Jones, CB, Melrose; 7-Mario Nolan-Dillard, QB, Lausanne; 8-Are'Kevious Sears, WR, Melrose; 9-Jerry Craine, QB, Wooddale; 10-Myrone Kimber, WR, Wooddale; 11-Kylan Watkins, RB, Whitehaven; 12-Rashad Haynes, ATH, Central; 13-Kelton Neyland, WR, Westwood; 14-Starsky Miller, LB, Melrose

15-Roland Williams, CB, White Station; 17-Clevon Doby, FS, Mitchell; 18-Pershawn Banks, QB, Sheffield; 19-Kameron Williams, QB, Southwind; 20-Oganna Oraedu, DE, MUS; 21-Demarion Yancey, RB, BTW; 22-Aubrey Miller, LB, Whitehaven; 23-DeQuan Dallas, ATH, Melrose; 24-Trevor Forbes, S, White Station; 25-Kyree Roberson, LB, Oakhaven; 28-Bradley Foley, DB/LB, MUS; 34-Tre Curtis, RB, FACS; 38-Garrett Baugh, ATH, Munford; 39-Evan Smith, LB, MUS*

42-Hosea Franklin, RB, Kirby; 44-Garrison Boling, DE, Northpoint; 45-Carson Blackfan, RB, Houston; 50-Tyler Walton, OL, Whitehaven; 51-Derrick Gainey, OL, MAHS, 52-Mason Harwell, DL, Harding; 54-Michael Neely, LB, St. Benedict; 58-Darrick Jackson, OL, Whitehaven; 64-Anthony Geter, OL/DL, Whitehaven; 65-Dewayne McIntyre, DL, Kirby; 72-Jarius Douglas, OL, Lausanne; 75-Jalen Jones, OL, White Station; 79-Kourtney Partee, OL, Hillcrest; 85-Rodarious Sanders, WR, Hamilton; 99-Bryan Taylor, DL, Southwind

*injured, won't play

Staff: Head coach, Joe Rocconi (White Station); assistants, Chester Ford, Melrose; Jerome Griffin, Wooddale; Dwayne Harris, Westwood; Will Hudgens, Houston; Kevin Patterson, Fairley; Greg Wallace, Northpoint

BLUE TEAM

1-Tyrique Sandusky, QB, Ridgeway; 2-Chase Hayden, RB, St. George's; 3-Tavarious Foster, RB, Arlington; 4-Devin Coleman, QB, Cordova; 5-Cordarrian Richardson, RB, Trezevant; 6-Noah Johnson, WR, Arlington; 7-Dewayne Betts, QB, KIPP; 8-Noah Pope, DE, St. George's; 9-Marquavious Weaver, RB, Bartlett; 10-Ben Glass, QB, St. George's; 11-Corey Jones, WR, St. George's; 12-Ardous Holloway, LB, Fayette Academy; 13-Andre Golden, WR, Brighton; 14-Blake Armour, LB, Brighton

15-Keegan Voss, ATH, CBHS; 16-Dylan Scott, K/P, Collierville; 17-Joseph Newberry, CB, Ridgeway; 18-D'Monte Kemp, CB, Millington; 19-Jake Powers, S, Briarcrest; 20-Brandon Parker, LB, Arlington; 22-Vincent Taylor, WR, Ridgeway; 23-Orreon Finley, WR, KIPP; 26-Will Barto, LB, Briarcrest; 27-Jordan Wiseman, DE, Manassas; 34-Tyler Garvey, LB, Collierville; 34-Sondre Brown, LB, Craigmont; 40-Tijuan Mason, DE, Trezevant; 44-Tavaris Moore, ATH, Rossville

51-Trevion Ross, DL, Cordova; 55-Trey Goins, DL, Germantown; 59-Preston Brady, OL, ECS; 61-Ahmad Malone, OL/DL, Collierville; 64-Brayden Helton, OL, Brighton; 68-Julian Atkins, OL, Overton; 72-Darron Moss, DL, Douglass; 76-Jordan Jackson, OL, Arlington; 77-Griffin Hawkins, OL, Briarcrest; 80-Cervantes Reed, DE, Ridgeway; 85-Maher Angalo, WR, Douglass

Staff: Head coach, Anthony Jones, Cordova; assistants, David Carter, St. George's; Carl Coleman, Manassas; Preston Harris, Douglass; Robin Jacobs, Brighton; Adam Sykes, Arlington

Edited by kwc

• 3 weeks later...