Sullivan South - Sullivan Co. Football

formerblazer

Robbie Norris for Head Coach. Who would be in charge of naming the school and mascot?

Although Norris would be the best choice from the current Sullivan County stock I think the administration would pick someone without ties to any of the current Sullivan County schools as the head coach and then make up the staff with some current staffers.  From what I heard Norris doesn't like the media/spotlight part of being a head coach and with this being a new large school that will be very competitive the social demands of the head coach could be overwhelming.

I'd like to paint a different picture. This new high school decision is not motivated by athletics at all. They say it's CTE classes, but that's not it either. From all accounts, there is a hidden agenda here amongst certain BOE and Commission members. We'll see that fleshed out over the next few years.

We cannot assume that Sullivan North and Sullivan South will continue sending their brightest and most athletic to this new school. Most from North will send their kids to Gate City and Kingsport has already hinted at managed choice for those Bloomingdale kids, of course they'll still need some of them to fill up North when it becomes a city middle school. Bloomingdale parents will not pass by a North city school everyday to drop their middle school students at a South middle or all the way to the airport exit for a Sullivan West High School. For Sullivan South, there are still students who have been annexed by the city who still send their kids to county schools. This may be to the straw that broke the camels back and forces them to send their children to city schools. There will still be students from Bloomingdale, Sullivan Gardens, and Colonial Heights going to this new Sullivan West High School, but it won't be the current state of things. I would look at many parents of athletes from these three communities look at Gate City for Bloomingdale and DB or Boone for Sullivan Gardens and Colonial Heights.

Just my two cents.

Edited by maroonpride

• 4 months later...

I'd like to paint a different picture. This new high school decision is not motivated by athletics at all. They say it's CTE classes, but that's not it either. From all accounts, there is a hidden agenda here amongst certain BOE and Commission members. We'll see that fleshed out over the next few years.

We cannot assume that Sullivan North and Sullivan South will continue sending their brightest and most athletic to this new school. Most from North will send their kids to Gate City and Kingsport has already hinted at managed choice for those Bloomingdale kids, of course they'll still need some of them to fill up North when it becomes a city middle school. Bloomingdale parents will not pass by a North city school everyday to drop their middle school students at a South middle or all the way to the airport exit for a Sullivan West High School. For Sullivan South, there are still students who have been annexed by the city who still send their kids to county schools. This may be to the straw that broke the camels back and forces them to send their children to city schools. There will still be students from Bloomingdale, Sullivan Gardens, and Colonial Heights going to this new Sullivan West High School, but it won't be the current state of things. I would look at many parents of athletes from these three communities look at Gate City for Bloomingdale and DB or Boone for Sullivan Gardens and Colonial Heights.

Just my two cents.

I wouldn't say that there is a hidden agenda.  Numbers are down in the county, and consolidating schools seems to be the best choice.  You will end up having 2 high schools, 3 middle schools, and 6 ( or 9) elementary schools when it is all said and done.

CTE is going to be big not just in Sullivan, but Kingsport, Bristol, JC, and Washington pretty soon.      Although parents may be griping about the drive and what not, students have been said to overwhelmingly support and think it is great to go to a new school.  Sports will not be the center of attention, but you can guarantee that you will have nice facilities and a nice turf field football wise.  It is going to be a draw for people.  It's a brand new school, so kids will be excited about that.  Education wise, Sullivan County is years ahead of what Washington is doing technology wise.  Washington is keeping with two schools while rebuilding all the middle schools without consolidation.  We will be having a high school discussion in about 30 years in Washington I am sure.

Lets say we have 1700 kids.  5A?  6A?  Sullivan East won't have close to that number of kids.  It would be interesting to see if they decide to build up the middle school with a nice stadium as well, but I am not putting much weight in that thought.

What kind of football team do you have this year rebels?

I think South will be very similar to last year, they will be better in some areas due to a lot of underclassmen getting a lot of experience last season but I don't see them getting to .500.  If the QB can stay healthy that will definitely help but given the track record of the past 2 seasons and the lack of depth and talent in the backfield with him I'm afraid he will stay beat-up.  Especially if the play calling doesn't change.

I'm gonna give you guys more credit than that.

outside of Boone/EHS/Gville you have a better chance of winning than losing. I could see South finishing 3rd this year and possibly 2nd the next year if EHS drops off.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna give you guys more credit than that.

outside of Boone/EHS/Gville you have a better chance of winning than losing. I could see South finishing 3rd this year and possibly 2nd the next year if EHS drops off.

I hope Boone can take this one, but we just seem to always have a hard time putting the Rebels away....    Of course the Rebel players/coaches could have a little something to do with that I guess :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...